Acting, Directing, Crew
- The Kibitzer
- Arts consultant Ted Wilson's musings on community theater organization and management.
Blank Stares and Glazed Eyes: It Must Be the Treasurer’s Report NEW!
Special Event Fundraising
Plays and Playreading
on Stage: The Use and Dangers of Guns in Performance
- A must-read primer on using prop guns on stage. Covers safety
issues, stage gun types, and links
- The Top 10 Reasons You Didn't Get
- Common audition mistakes and how to avoid them
- The Blue-Collar Director
- Common-sense directing tips (that some directors tend to
- Everything You Always Wanted to
Know About Bookholding
(But Were Afraid to Ask)
- Why this can be one of the most important jobs in the theater
-- and how to do it right. By Linda Adam, Kent County Theatre
- The Director's Boot Camp
- Know what you need to know before you direct
- The Actor's Guide to Backstage Etiquette
- What actors (and some crew members) don't know once they
leave the stage
- Set Design and Décor -- A 10-Step
- Set design from first read of the script through opening
- The Best Cast Gifts Ever!
- Creative solutions for closing night gifts
- Share your reviews of scripts you've read.
3 R's of Playreading
- How do you know if a play is right for your theater group?
- 2M. 2F. 3 F
Reading a Play Publisher's Catalog
- Ever been confused by the abbreviations in a play publisher's catalog? Learn
to decode some valuable information!
- A Primer on Readers
- Fast, easy, inexpensive productions. By Doug Bechtel, President, The Actors
Theater of Orcas Island
|The Business of Community Theater
Marketing Your Theater
- When someone wants to raise funds for your group, the
outcome may not be what you expected. Here's how to avoid
and Officers Liability Insurance
- Are your members protected?
- Why a Non-Profit Theater Company?
- What "non-profit" means to community theaters
-- and to the IRS. By Doug Bechtel, President, The Actors
Theater of Orcas Island
- Generic Theater
- By popular request:
sample theater bylaws -- download and modify to suit your
You Start Your Own Theater Company?
- The answers aren't really as important as the questions...
- 13 Pitfalls of Community Theater
- Optimal organization for your Board
- Marketing on the Cheap, Part 1
- Publicity ploys that work -- without costing a fortune
- Part 2 of Marketing on the Cheap
- Newspapers, press releases and paid advertising
- Part 3 of Marketing on the Cheap
- Playing the Radio game
- Part 4 of Marketing on the Cheap
- Playing the Web card