Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Other Topics
 Community Theater Green Room Discussion Board :Producing Theater :Other Topics
Message Icon Topic: Research Questions for Novel(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 5 Next >>
Bonnied
Player
Player

Online Status: Offline
bullet Topic: Research Questions for Novel
    Posted: 4/27/06 at 10:36am
I've asked the technical director our local theater a number of questions for the novel I'm working on, but need even more answers.

As this group is for discussion of community theater, I don't know if anyone can answer questions concerning a national touring company, but thought I'd give it a shot.

In referring to the green room in the text of my story, should the words be capitalized?

I understand that a new touring company of a Broadway show starts out in an opening city where they rehearse about 8 weeks then perform for ??? weeks before starting the tour. Here comes the question. While on the tour, the company is put up at hotel rooms in cities along the route. During the extended time in the opening city, would they also be housed in a hotel or be expected to line up apartments?

If this imaginary show has a rock band as opposed to a full orchestra, do I refer to the pit as  'the band' or 'the pit' instead of 'the orchestra'?

I was told the first few performances might be special engagement type things for invited audiences. Presumably that would be investors, critics, maybe family members and ???  What kinds of groups would be invited to 'pre-show' shows?

Also, in a touring company for a small show--say a 15-20 member  cast, would the cast members share a common dressing room? That is, a men's and a women's. It's supposed to be an ensemble show with a few backup chorus/understudy actors. Would the main actors be separate from the chorus members? Would they have costumes brought to the changing room from the costume room? Would their hair and makeup be done in the same room or elsewhere?
In other words, what would the pre-show routine be for this cast?

Okay, I know I had more questions, but since I foolishly didn't write them down, this is all for now. Thanks for any and all help from knowledgeable sources.

IP IP Logged
Topper
Celebrity
Celebrity

bullet Posted: 4/27/06 at 1:35pm

I can only speak from past experiences.

One touring show I was on was an "extended tour" which lasted three weeks in a another city.  Since it was a vacation city (Miami) the theater was able to arrange unused, furnished 2-bedroom apartments (condos) that were donated for this use by their big-money patrons.  The performers (actors & musicians) doubled up -- two to a condo.  The show was popular and the tour was extended an additional week.

Another tour (for a different show) consisted of two-or-three-day gigs before moving on to another city.  Here the performers were put up in hotels (again, two to a room).  On the final night of the tour, the producer either got very generous (not likely) or struck a deal with the hotel (more likely) and each performer got their own room!  A luxury to be sure.

Early in my career with a very small bus & truck show we travelled to smaller towns throughout the midwest.  In a few instances, the performers were put up for the night by "host families" who had a spare bedroom. 

Let me stress that in all these instances where roommates were required, men and women were separated unless they were legally married to each other.  Although I'm sure liasons were made frequently with other company members.

There are larger theaters that import actors from out-of-town (ie: New York) for the rehearsal period and the run of the show.  These theaters often have their own housing (a block of apartments) that they rent back to the performers (and not always at reduced rates, I might add!)  or they assist the performers in finding suitable housing (typically a furnished house) to rent.

The dressing room question is dependant on the performance facility.  Larger (newer) theaters have adequate dressing rooms for large casts.  Smaller theaters often do not.  Then there are the historic vaudeville houses that have been reclaimed and refurbished.  Often the dressing rooms in these places are tiny!  Barely a closet big enough to hold a chair and a mirror.  Actors had to rotate shifts to get in and out without sticking an elbow (or something else) in your face. 

In my experience I have had to share common dressing rooms with members of the opposite sex, change in public restrooms when no dressing room was available, or change in the back of a moving bus (You try pulling on tights at 50 mph!) because we were running late to the gig.

The only time I've experienced where the dressing rooms for the "main actors" are separated from the chorus or other parts is when the role is being performed by a celebrity who has requested it (or their agent insisted on it).  The more famous one is, the more clout they can wield when it comes to working conditions.  For a bunch of unknowns, it's every man for himself.

Costumes are responsibility of the costumer and are kept hanging on racks with the performer's name (or the characters' name) taped above them.  The costumer (presumeably have just finished cleaning or pressing) either brings in the rack for the ensemble and everybody grabs their stuff, or if there are individual dressing rooms, then the costumer places them there and are hanging before the performers arrive.  Sometimes the costumer is late tacking on a loose button or ironing a hem and will deliver the costume directly to the performer backstage.

Make-up (including wigs) is the responsibility of the individual performer.  If there is specialty make-up (like "Cats" or "Into the Woods") the make-up designer has instructed the performers on its application earlier in the rehearsal process.  Very rare does a make-up or hair person travel with a tour unless -- once again -- there is a celebrity on board who has requested it.  As a rule, producers don't want to pay for the travel and housing for anybody who doesn't need to be there.  If there are wigs that need to travel, the costumer will tote them, but will not care for them (it is rare to find a costumer that also does hair.)

"None of us really grow up. All we ever do is learn how to behave in public." -- Keith Johnstone
IP IP Logged
Guests

bullet Posted: 4/27/06 at 8:18pm

Originally posted by Bonnied

In referring to the green room in the text of my story, should the words be capitalized?

Is it a particular person, place, thing, or idea?  In my opinion, yes.  It would send home importance to reader that the Green Room is actually the actor's waiting room that can be found in many theatres (but definitely not all) and not just a room painted green that someone happened to be in.  Of course, your publisher/editor might feel differently.

If this imaginary show has a rock band as opposed to a full orchestra, do I refer to the pit as  'the band' or 'the pit' instead of 'the orchestra'?

Personally, I think it would be called "the pit band."  Most rock bands are not the full size of an orchestra nor do they have the same types of instruments of an orchestra--woodwinds and brass particularly.

Also, in a touring company for a small show--say a 15-20 member  cast, would the cast members share a common dressing room? That is, a men's and a women's. It's supposed to be an ensemble show with a few backup chorus/understudy actors. Would the main actors be separate from the chorus members?

It really depends on the theatre.  If they are on the New York--Chicago--San Francisco--LA tour and are playing the big houses, you can expect there to be 2, 3, or 4 star-sized dressing rooms (one usually taken over as a production office), 2 or 3 dressing rooms for 4-6 actors to share, and 2 large chorus dressing rooms for chorus members.  If they are hitting the smaller towns in the suburbs instead of the main city theatres, you can expect maybe 1 or 2 star dressing rooms with 2 large chorus rooms.  Some of the smaller town theatres don't even have a Green Room or musicians' room.

Would they have costumes brought to the changing room from the costume room? Would their hair and makeup be done in the same room or elsewhere?
In other words, what would the pre-show routine be for this cast?

The costumes, when not in trunks, are usually stored on rolling racks.  If there is room in the dressing rooms, the racks will be stored in the dressing rooms.  If not, they may be in a corner.  Actors are responsible for fetching their own costumes and hanging up their own costumes in the right place.  Dressers and wardrobe staff are responsible for cleaning, repairs, and checking that everything is in.

Standard make-up is the responsibility of the actor.  They are also required to bring their own--the company does not provide it--although it is tax deductible as a business expense for the actor.  Specialty make-up (the Beast in Beauty and the Beast, etc.) would be done by a make-up artist.  That artist would probably have to take on additional duties, taking care of wigs, etc.  If there is no specialty make-up, the costumer will transport the wigs but will not dress them.  Generally, whoever provides the wigs instructs the actor on proper care of the wigs.  If for some reason a wig needs redressing beyond the cast's abilities, then a hairdresser in that town will be brought in to redress the wig to match a production picture. 

Actors are responsible for doing their own hair.  I've seen many places where chorus members will help each other out with curling the back of their heads or other hard to reach duties.  There are generally, but not always, electrical outlets at each dressing room table.

BY THE WAY, this novel sounds interesting . . . when will it be available to read? 

IP IP Logged
Bonnied
Player
Player

bullet Posted: 4/28/06 at 11:07am
Holy Mack! This was a useful place to discover!

You've answered all my questions and I've learned that just because one is a member of a national touring company of a Big B'way show he/she isn't treated like royalty. This doesn't sound a whole lot different than our little community theater. I was especially surprised they don't have a make-up person but are expected to do their own. It seems there would be a supervisory hairdresser or something to make sure all the make-up was uniform in appearance.

The housing was the part that stumped me. Had to make sure it rang true.

As for when and where this book will be published, who knows.
I have a number of books e-published with online electronic publishers. Now I'm trying to take the next step and get into the print world. Working on securing an agent to help me do that.

This novel was inspired by watching the movie version of Rent then seeing the traveling production of Phantom the same week. It occurred to me what an artificial microcosm of society there must be in a traveling show, with the enforced intimacy of people who might never socialize under normal circumstances. I could see a lot of possible storylines for characters, not just the obligatory backstage romance. I have three main storylines going, plus the story in the musical they're performing.

I'm sure more questions will come up as I go along. Eg. What kind of 'invited audience' on pre-opening night performance? Family members, friends, critics, local groups of some type? Maybe a reception afterward for select guests? Does this sound plausible?

IP IP Logged
Joan54
Celebrity
Celebrity

bullet Posted: 4/28/06 at 4:10pm
I can't speak for the big touring companies but at  previews we invite a sympathetic audience (patrons, family, friends) and of course, the critics.  You need to get a few good reviews out there before the weekend.....as for a reception afterwards......there is usually a gathering after every performance...maybe a few people out for dinner or a bigger splash if we are trying to impress a patron or say thanks to someone.  Also..about the co-ed dressings rooms?  It has been my experience that there are a few modest members of each cast that will find a quiet corner to dress but most actors are remarkably immodest and seem to delight in wandering about in their underwear....regardless of who is in the area.  Good luck with the book.
"behind a thin wall of logic panic is waiting to stampede"
IP IP Logged
Bonnied
Player
Player

bullet Posted: 5/04/06 at 9:27am
New question. After the show has begun, the director's work is finished, yes? So he/she wouldn't be on the road with the company. What is the title of the person in charge on the tour, making sure everything runs smoothly at all the stops--Production Manager?

Also, if an actor must be replaced during the run for any reason, who is in charge of making personnel decisions? I realize the understudy would act in the person's place temporarily, but if the role had to be filled long term would the director be called back in for casting or would someone else do it?

Thanks again for any answers that make me sound like I know more about theater than I actually do.
IP IP Logged
Gaafa
Celebrity
Celebrity

bullet Posted: 5/04/06 at 1:25pm
The Stage Manager is God & gets to wear many hats for the tour, supervising the bump In & out at each venue. Also invariably also promoting cast understudies from within the Company, even to the point of rehearsing local talent to pad the show out or picking up additional chorus members, if need be to fill the gaps left by any drastic reshuffle of the cast.
All venues would use their own show crew & would have been supplied the show specs & any special equipment requirements, beyond the standard house rig & available staging equipment.
The In house Head Tech or Production manager should ensure that everything is pre rigged to the show specs, to accommodate the Set.  Then it only becomes a matter for the SM to focus on the shows logistics & tweaking the final mis en scene for the tech run & production season.
A  lot of shows utilise cast members to double as ASM?s for designated tasks with the Bump In, during the show & Bumping Out.
Touring Company?s are akin to a Circus in as much as everyone has to bog in & assist it to get it on the boards. Even down to promoting it to build up the bums on seats if need be.        

Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

IP IP Logged
Topper
Celebrity
Celebrity

bullet Posted: 5/05/06 at 1:32am

Sometimes there is an additional position to fill under the title of "Company Manager."  The CM handles the business details of the tour, making sure everybody's got their hotel rooms, the trucks have fuel, the drivers have maps, watching the budget, ordering lunch, proper paperwork is filled in, etc etc etc and generally coordinates the mundane details of keeping the "show on the road."

The CM handles these details of everything that happens OUTSIDE the theater or OFFSTAGE.  The Stage Manager is responsible for everything INSIDE the theater including (but not limited to) lighting, sound, scenery, props, costumes and actors.

Because of this strict boundary, the CM and SM are considered equals and neither really out-ranks the other (However, the SM is not booking his own room, so he must remain in good graces with the CM at least).  I pity the poor SM whose producer is trying to save salaries by assigning them job of BOTH CM and SM!  However, in smaller companies this might be the case.

If an actor needs to be replaced, it's most likely the Director (who is still in New York) will cast from the place the tour originated (ie, New York) and the new actor will be transported out to join the rest of the cast at the next stop on the tour.  Most likely, instead of going through all the trouble of holding more auditions, the director will merely pick up the phone and call his Second Choice -- the actor who didn't get the part from the first audtion. (I myself have gotten more than one gig that way.  I'm not too proud to decline).

I've never heard of a Broadway tour replacing a major role with a local actor (although for dramatic license purposes it would make an interesting story).  Perhaps chorus or orchestra parts could be filled temporarily with local talent, but -- to preserve the integrity and "artistic vision" of the show -- a replacement actor is almost always flown in.

It is then the Stage Manager's job to rehearse the new actor seamlessly into the production.  It is the Company Manager's job to see that the outgoing actor (and their stuff) gets home safely.

"None of us really grow up. All we ever do is learn how to behave in public." -- Keith Johnstone
IP IP Logged
Bonnied
Player
Player

bullet Posted: 5/05/06 at 10:25am
Thanks. That helps a lot. I wanted my replacement actor flown in from NY. She has filled this roll on B'way and gives the others (all unknowns on this tour because I want it that way) diva attitude, messing up the dynamics of their tight little company.
But our local theater guy told me shows often promote from within then hire newbies to re-stock the cast, so I thought flying a replacement in might ring false. You've set my mind at rest.

Really all this information is invaluable.
Also... when my girl with the injury gets better would she be allowed her place back in the show or is the contract broken?

ETA: Might as well ask more. Although the show is cast in NY, I'm using Chicago for the opening city (rehearsals and first performances) and traveling on from there. What kind of cities should be on this circuit? I'm picking random, decent sized cities that are sort of on a route; Toledo, Madison WI, Minneapolis, etc. But is there an established route that would be more logical? Again, all input welcome. This site is a gold mine!
IP IP Logged
Topper
Celebrity
Celebrity

bullet Posted: 5/05/06 at 4:07pm

There is little logic to the route a tour takes.  Most decisions are based strictly on money, not geography.  Whoever plans these things does so at their own risk.  The following are all factors in what cities a tour might visit:

Venue availability:  Is there a proper-sized auditorium that can support this show technically and financially?   Nobody's gonna put a Broadway musical in a 50,000 seat auditorium or a 50 seat music hall.

Hotel space:  Is there a convention (or more) happening at the same time?  Is the city's home team in the playoffs?  All this leads to overcrowding.  If it's too much of a hassle getting crew and cast to the venue, then it's possible the producers might just pass knowing it will also be a hassle getting an audience there.

Weather:  Very few tours visit the Midwest in Blizzard or Tornado season.  There's an old adage "Never do plays in months with J's" that stems from this reasoning.

Politics:  City officials sometimes vie for "high-class" entertainment.  A tour might stop at one city and not another because the Mayor and his cronies are offering incentive deals on lodging, meals or other kick-backs.

Unforseen consequences:  The theater that was booked burned to the ground two days ago.  Or there's a workers strike affecting the city.  A flood or other natural disaster.  A plague of locusts.  A rock band or a bigshot country singer who find themselves with a #1 hit offered a better deal to the venue who might try to slip out of the contract. 

And speaking of contracts ...  if your girl is injured during the tour the producers are only responsible for her until she gets better.  By that time it's most likely her part has been recast.  She may be entitled to worker's comp or her contract may have simply given her 2-weeks severance.  And unless she can prove negligence or loss-of-work she will be hard pressed to get another dime out of them outside of her medical expenses.  Producers usually have insurance to cover that.

IP IP Logged
Page  of 5 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version