Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Other Topics
 Community Theater Green Room Discussion Board :Producing Theater :Other Topics
Message Icon Topic: Research Questions for Novel(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
Guests

bullet Posted: 5/05/06 at 7:39pm

This topic is quite interesting.

I will agree with Topper that on most Broadway-shows that are now touring, they will replace a lead or supporting actor instead of hiring local talent or using the "understudy."  Generally, if it is a large-enough name (such as Robert Guillome when he took over from Michael Crawford in Phantom) lead and the director is available, he will rehearse the actor with the company.  Sometimes the replacement actor will demand the director's presence. 

Otherwise, the stage manager ends up directing the actor and company--one of those other reasons stage managers should keep track of all directing/other notes given to actors so they can keep the show truly to what the director intended.

The cities--most of the tours I've seen have a plot like this:

1st year on tour:  large cities music centers and theatres:  downtown Chicago, downtown San Francisco, downtown Los Angeles, downtown Washington D.C., etc.

2nd year on tour:  the suburbs of large areas (you still need a large enough area to sell enough seats):  Oakland, San Jose, Santa Rosa (Bay Area); Thousand Oaks, Pasadena, Orange County PACs (LA), San Diego, Santa Barbara, Nashville, Phoenix  (smaller areas, but still enough for ticket sales). 

Of course, the producers will look at how a show "did" on the 1st round of the tour.  If ticket sales were off in a particular region of a country, they probably won't return to the same region the second year  (i.e., a right-wing pro-military piece in Northern California or Oregon or an amoral play with vulgarity and sensuality in the Bible Belt).

As for the route, you could use the inconvenience of travelling half-way across the country every other week as part of the conflict building in the company.  Everyone--no matter who they are--gets tired of living out of a suitcase and hotel room after 6 months, especially if they are with the same roommates all the time.

IP IP Logged
Gaafa
Celebrity
Celebrity

Online Status: Offline
bullet Posted: 5/06/06 at 2:59am
I?m sorry Bonnied I may have led you up a gum tree!
Being situated here, which has to be just a pimple on the backside of the theatre world. I should have realised by reading the posts again correctly, my experience is way out of date!
The last time I toured Nationally in OZ on large musicals, was back in the 60?s. Since then only being involved from a venue situation up until the 90?s.
However from experience with touring shows, the Administration of the Company was handled direct from their Head Office in another State. Otherwise it was all down to the Stage Manager to be everything to the Company. They even got involved with ensuring the Banking was carried out & everyone was paid, with advances from the Box Office receipts.
As with nearly all Companies these days, it is cheaper to employ technology rather than pay for labor. This is reflected in most of them, where by they cut the show to the bone. Which is rather unfair & a daunting task, to heap all the on site show responsibility on the heads of a very young Lass who has just come straight out of the performing arts college, . to head up these tours as the SM.
But all of this is hardly relevant to the genre of your novel. As we are far enough away to be still considered primitive by the large theatre producers & promoters!
As mentioned by Topper the incentives offered by local theatres, City Councils & even State Governments. To be included in a tour of a highly sort after show, are mind boggling at times!
In nearly all cases they are offered because of  ego & justified by the possible revenue they may generate.
As suggested there seems at times no logic applied with touring large musicals.
A recent one that comes to mind was the ?Producers? tour. From memory the show opened in Melbourne for a month, went to Brisbane for 2 weeks. Then Adelaide onto to a short season in Sydney. Back to Brisbane for a week, then Melbourne for a further 2 weeks & finished up in Sydney with a 3 week season. Geographically there is no logic to it, but from all accounts it was a success money wise.
Mind you the show had very simple stage settings & was easily bumped in & out!
Which begs the question why did they not come to Perth?
The answer might be just in the incentives offered to the production company.

Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

IP IP Logged
Bonnied
Player
Player

bullet Posted: 5/08/06 at 12:37pm
Here are several new questions.
I was told that on big productions there are two trucks with two sets of everything on board; sets, costumes, whatever, so one truck can move ahead and set up the next location.

1. Are trucks used even if traveling halfway across the country to the next city?

2. If something was left behind by accident, say some props or a whole costume rack or something, would someone be sent back to transport it, or would the local theater box up and send it Fed Ex? I can't imagine errors like that would happen. There must be a stringent system of checks and double checks. But for the sake of the story I want a rough bump in (see how I cleverly used my new term?) with everything going wrong. The performers have a turbulent flight and a little things go wrong with the set so everyone's in a tense and unsettled mood.

3. Do actors check their props are set just like in community theater?

4. Where do vocal warm-ups take place? In our local theater everyone just gathers on stage, but it occurred to me it might not be that way. Are the warm-ups done with just a piano? What's the pre-show process.

5. Would there be a tech rehearsal at each new location before the opening just to make sure everything runs smoothly?

Thanks once again for any answers.

IP IP Logged
castMe
Celebrity
Celebrity

bullet Posted: 5/08/06 at 5:38pm

3. Do actors check their props are set just like in community theater?

5. Would there be a tech rehearsal at each new location before the opening just to make sure everything runs smoothly?

#3  They'd better check their props!  Off-Broadway show, scene is in a jail.  Inmate receives his meal minus a knife...no big deal he eats with his hands.  Enter actor number two.  They quarrel and actor two reaches for knife.  Not there.  Actor two kicks actor one in the bum.  Actor falls to his knees and before dying says, "The boot......it was.......poisoned."  Check your damn props. !

#5  There is sometimes a "set-in" rehearsal, particularly if the venue is radically different from the houses the production has previously visited.  I worked in an arena theater for years, one of only two on the usual touring circuit of the day.  The touring company would always have a set-in so as to re-block the show for the round.  If the theater were a proscenium, but unusually large or small they would probably need to walk thru if they are not travelling with their set. If they are travelling with their set, no need for a rehearsal.

Investigate. Imagine. Choose.
IP IP Logged
Topper
Celebrity
Celebrity

bullet Posted: 5/08/06 at 5:46pm

Every tour is slightly different, depending on who's sponsoring it and so on.  I can only speak generally, from my own experiences.

1) Trucks are still the most efficient way of transporting sets, lights, etc.  Even if they were shipped by train or plane, you'd still need a truck to get them from the depot to the theater.  Every professional theater has a loading dock for this purpose.

2) "... stringent system of checks" ?!  I nearly choked on my coffee when I read that.  True, a quality stage manager and company manager will typically have everything under control.  Even so, the best laid plans ...  While it is rare to have an "whole costume rack" go missing (the wardrobe person would easily be fired on the spot), it is not unusual that a mislaid prop, set piece or costume does not find its way onto the truck.  If it happens repeatedly, the person responsible can be cited or fined by the producer, so everybody is pretty reliable about such things. 

If the item was important enough, it would be up to the CM (and/or SM) to decide how to replace it.  Having the previous theater ship it is one option (if there's time), another option would be to replace the item by purchase or rental (hence the fines -- the producer has to make up his money somewhere).

What would be more likely is if the prop truck or scenery truck was misdirected, broken down or involved in an accident.  This would delay the load-in considerably and give you the dramatic situation you're seeking.

3.  Actors are SUPPOSED to check their props, yes.  Do they always?  Hah!  It only takes once for a prop to go missing before the actor decides to check them every time.

4.  In professional theater, warm-ups are typically left up to the individual performer.  It is part of their job and, as such, if they strain or injure themselves due to improper (or non-existent) warm-ups, they are effectively putting themselves out of work.  It is not unusual to stroll down the hallway where the dressing rooms are and hear a cacophony of moos, trills, and la-las emanating from within.

Sometimes the dance captain might call a quick run-through of a number if the SM noted something sloppy in a previous performance.  If there's choreographed violence, then a fight call is always scheduled before the house opens.

5.  There is always tech!  Hopefully, for the performers it is a "dry tech" where the performers are not called and the SM simply runs though all the cues with the stage crew to make sure everything is in place and working properly.  However, every theater is different, so placing sets props and other things in the off-stage spaces changes from place to place.  It is beneficial for everybody if a tech takes place.  Sometimes it is constrained due to time issues (like the truck was late)!  Nobody can avoid tech.

"None of us really grow up. All we ever do is learn how to behave in public." -- Keith Johnstone
IP IP Logged
Guests

bullet Posted: 5/08/06 at 6:42pm

As to warm-ups, I've seen witnessed two different things:  actors in dressing rooms warming up individually or actors using the stage before house opens for stretching and vocals (in this case, they were vocally performing while stretching their bodies).

Very rarely have I seen an SM leading warm-ups and a game before house is open.

IP IP Logged
Topper
Celebrity
Celebrity

bullet Posted: 5/08/06 at 9:02pm

"The performers have a turbulent flight..."

I didn't catch this first time through, but I don't believe this would be accurate in the scenario you're trying to create.  It is extraordinarily rare for a Producer to fly his entire cast anywhere.  Unless your producer has his own private aircraft, it is simply too expensive and not a cost-effective way to transport a large group of people. 

Broadway producers are polar opposite of Hollywood producers (even to the point of being on different coasts.)  Hollywood's answer to solving problems is throw money at it until it works (and since it's being captured on film, it only needs to work ONCE.)  Broadway's answer is to find a cheaper way of doing it or cutting it out altogether (Hey, we're doing this show eight times a week!  Do we really need all those Cats?).

Most performers are trucked together on a bus or "motor coach." (Call it what you will, it's still a #%$@! bus).  The reasons are many:  Namely, first and foremost, cost!  A bus can be rented by the week; plane tickets need to be purchased at every stop.  The coaches vary wildly in quality and comfort -- some may have sleepers, some may have a lavatory -- most likely, there'll just be large seats that recline somewhat with scheduled potty breaks or stops for food.

Another reason is that the motor coach keeps the actors, crew and their luggage all together in one spot.  The CM or SM has one less hassle trying to round up everybody.  No wasted time waiting around terminals for baggage to be checked or cleared.  Nobody is rushing to catch a plane and nobody gets left behind at the snack counter or restroom.  It's the same mentality that goes toward herding cattle:  keep the group together at all times.

Some larger tours may have designated "smoking" and "no smoking" buses but this is rare.  Most tour buses are "no smoking" and there are always several performers (or crew) who opt to drive their own vehicles in a caravan following the tour.  This gives them the option to smoke the entire trip, and it also allows them to have a car in a strange city and not rely on taxis or public transportation to scope out the night life after the show. 

Those who drive are sometimes paid a stipend for gas (which is never enough).  Parking, tolls, tires and general wear & tear are their own responsibilty that can be written off on their taxes.

In the case of the understudy replacement that you mentioned in previous posts, it would be understandable for the producer to spring for a plane ticket in order to get the new actor into rehearsal ASAP.  If there is no rush, the producer would just a soon offer train fare or a bus ride.

I've even heard of Producers tell their freshly-auditioned cast:  "Our rehearsals start on (Date) in (City).  Call the CM's cell phone when you get there to check in and find out where you'll be staying."  (The guy wouldn't even pay for transportation to get the cast all in one place to begin with!)

Hope this helps.

"None of us really grow up. All we ever do is learn how to behave in public." -- Keith Johnstone
IP IP Logged
Gaafa
Celebrity
Celebrity

bullet Posted: 5/08/06 at 11:14pm
Just a wee point ?Bump In/Out is jargon primarily only used in Oz!
The British use ?Get In/Out? & I think the Yanks mainly use the term ?Load In/Out??

Topper is right that trucks are used to transport the set from venue to venue. Even for long distances between, because it would have been loaded at the last venue & drive straight to unload at the next. Rather than put on a train or plane unless logistically it works out cheaper &/or it had to travel to another country.
Just as an aside!
The only large production I can remember that had more than one set on tour here was for the ?Rolling Stones?. It was an Arena event & took about 2 weeks to erect on site. So it was easier to have two sets, but both were transported on Semi Trailers. Even ?Cats? which was done in a Big Top trough out Oz was the same.
Back in the 60?s the national tour of ?Mame? the musical. Experienced a few problems getting from Adelaide to Perth, which is about 3000 Km?s & takes over 50 hours for the 2 semi?s to drive, in those days, on an unsealed road across the Nullarbor Plain.
The cast, management & costumes came over by train. But just after the train got through, the Nullarbor had a flash flood, wiping out the road & train tracks. The two Semi?s were marooned in the middle of the Plain. They were scheduled to arrive on Tuesday afternoon, but actually got there on the Saturday night. The show opened as planned on that Monday night. However not without a major problem of the newly installed Fly system malfunctioning on the Sunday morning, putting two flymen & one Sparky in hospital. Bringing down the whole of the fly pack, demolishing the ?Peckerwood? set & smashing the Revolving stage. We worked through until the Monday night show Opening repairing the damage. The show went up with no tech run or dress & worked well with the modified set & the replacement crew.
It was found during the repairs to the counterweight fly system, that the installers had used ordinary steal cable as the 4 dropper cables on each carriage, not preformed ariel cables. Also the eye bolts attaching the cables to the counterweight carriages, were not locked in anyway. The constant cable movement through the head blocks, during the cue to cue choreographed set changes. Started the cables to spin & undo the eye bolt nuts on the carriages. When the first cable released on one the over weight carriages, the other cable droppers gave way or snapped, splitting the Oregon Pine head battens & bring down the rest of the fly pack, like a pack of cards.
Luckily it was only a cue to cue tech run & none of the cast were on stage, but because the show used 4 winched trucks & a revolve with a spiral staircase on a false stage. It had 30 techies on the crew who were mainly in the wings, except for the sparky on stage. Who copped a head batten which caught the leg of his pants as he dived to push the TD out of the way & smashed through the revolves deck & the stage. He ended up doing the splits sideways, with one foot in the dungeon  & the other leg flat on stage, which would have brought tears to the eyes! The Flymen/mechanists were loading the pig iron bikkies on an adjacent carriage, when the run away one crashed down slicing one from his shoulder to the elbow & a loose cable whipping the other on the back while he was loading on the first fly floor. None of them came back to that show & eventually all recovered I believe.
The fly system cables were all replaced during the 6 week season between shows. But it took a few years to replace the whole thing.
A similar situation happened the Circus Oz Production Company tour who were to open at the Performing Arts Centre in Kalgoolie in the 90?s.  The truck with the sets, props & costumes was stranded & bogged on the Nullarbor, even though the road was sealed by then. Another flash flood marooned the truck for 2 weeks & they couldn?t go forward or back from where they came. We got the call while I was working in Bunbury PAC some 900km?s from the Kalgoolie PAC. To see if we could organise replacement circus props & equipment for  them. Luckily on ringing around we found a Circus company on tour in the north of the State 1200Km?s away from us. Who gladly lent some props/costumes & even had them trucked direct to kalgoolie. Also along with extra gear we sent, all the local CT?s in other towns within a ^00Km radius of them. Supplied set pieces, costumes & props so they could complete their tour of the West. By the way they although Circus Oz offered to pay, I believe they all did it for no charge!
So when the chips are really down all the Pro &Am Companies & Groups came together without any fuss to make it happen!  

Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

IP IP Logged
Gaafa
Celebrity
Celebrity

bullet Posted: 5/09/06 at 12:37am
 Topper is correct about a lot of Producers being complete ratbags, it is in the genes!
Which is ironic that back in the puritan 1600?s in England, all performers of Playes & Interludes were to be regarded as rouges & vagabonds & should be sent to whence they came! According to a government edict  of the day concerning the London area.
These days this could be applied to a lot of producers!  
So it all depends where you are in the pecking order, for what type of treatment can be expected.
Near the bottom of the order, you are given a set pedium to cover expenses & are expected to pay your own accommodation & whatever.
If your travelling separately to the cattle drive, you may find your own if you break down, you could be left behind.
Actors Equity & other theatre Unions have reined these drongos in to a certain extent, with Standard Contracts. But if they do the old soft shoe shuffle & get out of complying - they will!

Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

IP IP Logged
Bonnied
Player
Player

bullet Posted: 5/09/06 at 11:05am
"It is extraordinarily rare for a Producer to fly his entire cast anywhere. " (where's the quote button in this forum?)
See. My local theater guy gave me wrong information about the flying. I would've guessed bus myself. Now it makes less sense than ever to me not to have a geographical progression of venues instead of criss-crossing the country. What a waste of gas.

I love the bus idea instead of plane. Talk about adding to stress and  forced togetherness. The part about some using their own cars is useful. I figured everybody had to take taxis around town, but now I can have some folks with cars too.

I've changed some things already because of what I learned here, eg. deleting Nina the make-up girl.
Now I have to change a scene toward the beginning where one of the actresses mentally rhapsodizes about how happy she is just to be there and be part of it all during vocal warm ups. No warm-ups.
However: "or actors using the stage before house opens for stretching and vocals" maybe I could get away with just changing it a little and having a few random people wandering around on stage instead of a led warm-up.

Sounds like the tech aspect can be a real hassle, not to mention sometimes dangerous. (No 'bump in'. 'Load in,' got it.)

And, as in many businesses, the moneymen are in conflict with the very thing they're trying to create. The company my husband formerly worked for is a prime example of that--a well-run, small operation bought out by a large corporation and decimated by ignorant, long-distance management decisions within five years time.

Thanks again for info.

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version