Forum Discription: For everything else
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1826
Printed Date: 5/10/24 at 7:39am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Research Questions for Novel
Posted By: Bonnied
Subject: Research Questions for Novel
Date Posted: 4/27/06 at 10:36am
I've asked the technical director our local theater a number of questions for the novel I'm working on, but need even more answers.

As this group is for discussion of community theater, I don't know if anyone can answer questions concerning a national touring company, but thought I'd give it a shot.

In referring to the green room in the text of my story, should the words be capitalized?

I understand that a new touring company of a Broadway show starts out in an opening city where they rehearse about 8 weeks then perform for ??? weeks before starting the tour. Here comes the question. While on the tour, the company is put up at hotel rooms in cities along the route. During the extended time in the opening city, would they also be housed in a hotel or be expected to line up apartments?

If this imaginary show has a rock band as opposed to a full orchestra, do I refer to the pit as  'the band' or 'the pit' instead of 'the orchestra'?

I was told the first few performances might be special engagement type things for invited audiences. Presumably that would be investors, critics, maybe family members and ???  What kinds of groups would be invited to 'pre-show' shows?

Also, in a touring company for a small show--say a 15-20 member  cast, would the cast members share a common dressing room? That is, a men's and a women's. It's supposed to be an ensemble show with a few backup chorus/understudy actors. Would the main actors be separate from the chorus members? Would they have costumes brought to the changing room from the costume room? Would their hair and makeup be done in the same room or elsewhere?
In other words, what would the pre-show routine be for this cast?

Okay, I know I had more questions, but since I foolishly didn't write them down, this is all for now. Thanks for any and all help from knowledgeable sources.

Replies:
Posted By: Topper
Date Posted: 4/27/06 at 1:35pm

I can only speak from past experiences.

One touring show I was on was an "extended tour" which lasted three weeks in a another city.  Since it was a vacation city (Miami) the theater was able to arrange unused, furnished 2-bedroom apartments (condos) that were donated for this use by their big-money patrons.  The performers (actors & musicians) doubled up -- two to a condo.  The show was popular and the tour was extended an additional week.

Another tour (for a different show) consisted of two-or-three-day gigs before moving on to another city.  Here the performers were put up in hotels (again, two to a room).  On the final night of the tour, the producer either got very generous (not likely) or struck a deal with the hotel (more likely) and each performer got their own room!  A luxury to be sure.

Early in my career with a very small bus & truck show we travelled to smaller towns throughout the midwest.  In a few instances, the performers were put up for the night by "host families" who had a spare bedroom. 

Let me stress that in all these instances where roommates were required, men and women were separated unless they were legally married to each other.  Although I'm sure liasons were made frequently with other company members.

There are larger theaters that import actors from out-of-town (ie: New York) for the rehearsal period and the run of the show.  These theaters often have their own housing (a block of apartments) that they rent back to the performers (and not always at reduced rates, I might add!)  or they assist the performers in finding suitable housing (typically a furnished house) to rent.

The dressing room question is dependant on the performance facility.  Larger (newer) theaters have adequate dressing rooms for large casts.  Smaller theaters often do not.  Then there are the historic vaudeville houses that have been reclaimed and refurbished.  Often the dressing rooms in these places are tiny!  Barely a closet big enough to hold a chair and a mirror.  Actors had to rotate shifts to get in and out without sticking an elbow (or something else) in your face. 

In my experience I have had to share common dressing rooms with members of the opposite sex, change in public restrooms when no dressing room was available, or change in the back of a moving bus (You try pulling on tights at 50 mph!) because we were running late to the gig.

The only time I've experienced where the dressing rooms for the "main actors" are separated from the chorus or other parts is when the role is being performed by a celebrity who has requested it (or their agent insisted on it).  The more famous one is, the more clout they can wield when it comes to working conditions.  For a bunch of unknowns, it's every man for himself.

Costumes are responsibility of the costumer and are kept hanging on racks with the performer's name (or the characters' name) taped above them.  The costumer (presumeably have just finished cleaning or pressing) either brings in the rack for the ensemble and everybody grabs their stuff, or if there are individual dressing rooms, then the costumer places them there and are hanging before the performers arrive.  Sometimes the costumer is late tacking on a loose button or ironing a hem and will deliver the costume directly to the performer backstage.

Make-up (including wigs) is the responsibility of the individual performer.  If there is specialty make-up (like "Cats" or "Into the Woods") the make-up designer has instructed the performers on its application earlier in the rehearsal process.  Very rare does a make-up or hair person travel with a tour unless -- once again -- there is a celebrity on board who has requested it.  As a rule, producers don't want to pay for the travel and housing for anybody who doesn't need to be there.  If there are wigs that need to travel, the costumer will tote them, but will not care for them (it is rare to find a costumer that also does hair.)

-------------
"None of us really grow up. All we ever do is learn how to behave in public." -- Keith Johnstone

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 4/27/06 at 8:18pm

Originally posted by Bonnied

In referring to the green room in the text of my story, should the words be capitalized?

Is it a particular person, place, thing, or idea?  In my opinion, yes.  It would send home importance to reader that the Green Room is actually the actor's waiting room that can be found in many theatres (but definitely not all) and not just a room painted green that someone happened to be in.  Of course, your publisher/editor might feel differently.

If this imaginary show has a rock band as opposed to a full orchestra, do I refer to the pit as  'the band' or 'the pit' instead of 'the orchestra'?

Personally, I think it would be called "the pit band."  Most rock bands are not the full size of an orchestra nor do they have the same types of instruments of an orchestra--woodwinds and brass particularly.

Also, in a touring company for a small show--say a 15-20 member  cast, would the cast members share a common dressing room? That is, a men's and a women's. It's supposed to be an ensemble show with a few backup chorus/understudy actors. Would the main actors be separate from the chorus members?

It really depends on the theatre.  If they are on the New York--Chicago--San Francisco--LA tour and are playing the big houses, you can expect there to be 2, 3, or 4 star-sized dressing rooms (one usually taken over as a production office), 2 or 3 dressing rooms for 4-6 actors to share, and 2 large chorus dressing rooms for chorus members.  If they are hitting the smaller towns in the suburbs instead of the main city theatres, you can expect maybe 1 or 2 star dressing rooms with 2 large chorus rooms.  Some of the smaller town theatres don't even have a Green Room or musicians' room.

Would they have costumes brought to the changing room from the costume room? Would their hair and makeup be done in the same room or elsewhere?
In other words, what would the pre-show routine be for this cast?

The costumes, when not in trunks, are usually stored on rolling racks.  If there is room in the dressing rooms, the racks will be stored in the dressing rooms.  If not, they may be in a corner.  Actors are responsible for fetching their own costumes and hanging up their own costumes in the right place.  Dressers and wardrobe staff are responsible for cleaning, repairs, and checking that everything is in.

Standard make-up is the responsibility of the actor.  They are also required to bring their own--the company does not provide it--although it is tax deductible as a business expense for the actor.  Specialty make-up (the Beast in Beauty and the Beast, etc.) would be done by a make-up artist.  That artist would probably have to take on additional duties, taking care of wigs, etc.  If there is no specialty make-up, the costumer will transport the wigs but will not dress them.  Generally, whoever provides the wigs instructs the actor on proper care of the wigs.  If for some reason a wig needs redressing beyond the cast's abilities, then a hairdresser in that town will be brought in to redress the wig to match a production picture. 

Actors are responsible for doing their own hair.  I've seen many places where chorus members will help each other out with curling the back of their heads or other hard to reach duties.  There are generally, but not always, electrical outlets at each dressing room table.

BY THE WAY, this novel sounds interesting . . . when will it be available to read? 

-------------

Date Posted: 4/28/06 at 11:07am
Holy Mack! This was a useful place to discover!

You've answered all my questions and I've learned that just because one is a member of a national touring company of a Big B'way show he/she isn't treated like royalty. This doesn't sound a whole lot different than our little community theater. I was especially surprised they don't have a make-up person but are expected to do their own. It seems there would be a supervisory hairdresser or something to make sure all the make-up was uniform in appearance.

The housing was the part that stumped me. Had to make sure it rang true.

As for when and where this book will be published, who knows.
I have a number of books e-published with online electronic publishers. Now I'm trying to take the next step and get into the print world. Working on securing an agent to help me do that.

This novel was inspired by watching the movie version of Rent then seeing the traveling production of Phantom the same week. It occurred to me what an artificial microcosm of society there must be in a traveling show, with the enforced intimacy of people who might never socialize under normal circumstances. I could see a lot of possible storylines for characters, not just the obligatory backstage romance. I have three main storylines going, plus the story in the musical they're performing.

I'm sure more questions will come up as I go along. Eg. What kind of 'invited audience' on pre-opening night performance? Family members, friends, critics, local groups of some type? Maybe a reception afterward for select guests? Does this sound plausible?

Posted By: Joan54
Date Posted: 4/28/06 at 4:10pm
I can't speak for the big touring companies but at  previews we invite a sympathetic audience (patrons, family, friends) and of course, the critics.  You need to get a few good reviews out there before the weekend.....as for a reception afterwards......there is usually a gathering after every performance...maybe a few people out for dinner or a bigger splash if we are trying to impress a patron or say thanks to someone.  Also..about the co-ed dressings rooms?  It has been my experience that there are a few modest members of each cast that will find a quiet corner to dress but most actors are remarkably immodest and seem to delight in wandering about in their underwear....regardless of who is in the area.  Good luck with the book.

-------------
"behind a thin wall of logic panic is waiting to stampede"

Date Posted: 5/04/06 at 9:27am
New question. After the show has begun, the director's work is finished, yes? So he/she wouldn't be on the road with the company. What is the title of the person in charge on the tour, making sure everything runs smoothly at all the stops--Production Manager?

Also, if an actor must be replaced during the run for any reason, who is in charge of making personnel decisions? I realize the understudy would act in the person's place temporarily, but if the role had to be filled long term would the director be called back in for casting or would someone else do it?

Thanks again for any answers that make me sound like I know more about theater than I actually do.

Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 5/04/06 at 1:25pm
The Stage Manager is God & gets to wear many hats for the tour, supervising the bump In & out at each venue. Also invariably also promoting cast understudies from within the Company, even to the point of rehearsing local talent to pad the show out or picking up additional chorus members, if need be to fill the gaps left by any drastic reshuffle of the cast.
All venues would use their own show crew & would have been supplied the show specs & any special equipment requirements, beyond the standard house rig & available staging equipment.
The In house Head Tech or Production manager should ensure that everything is pre rigged to the show specs, to accommodate the Set.  Then it only becomes a matter for the SM to focus on the shows logistics & tweaking the final mis en scene for the tech run & production season.
A  lot of shows utilise cast members to double as ASM?s for designated tasks with the Bump In, during the show & Bumping Out.
Touring Company?s are akin to a Circus in as much as everyone has to bog in & assist it to get it on the boards. Even down to promoting it to build up the bums on seats if need be.        

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 5/05/06 at 1:32am

Sometimes there is an additional position to fill under the title of "Company Manager."  The CM handles the business details of the tour, making sure everybody's got their hotel rooms, the trucks have fuel, the drivers have maps, watching the budget, ordering lunch, proper paperwork is filled in, etc etc etc and generally coordinates the mundane details of keeping the "show on the road."

The CM handles these details of everything that happens OUTSIDE the theater or OFFSTAGE.  The Stage Manager is responsible for everything INSIDE the theater including (but not limited to) lighting, sound, scenery, props, costumes and actors.

Because of this strict boundary, the CM and SM are considered equals and neither really out-ranks the other (However, the SM is not booking his own room, so he must remain in good graces with the CM at least).  I pity the poor SM whose producer is trying to save salaries by assigning them job of BOTH CM and SM!  However, in smaller companies this might be the case.

If an actor needs to be replaced, it's most likely the Director (who is still in New York) will cast from the place the tour originated (ie, New York) and the new actor will be transported out to join the rest of the cast at the next stop on the tour.  Most likely, instead of going through all the trouble of holding more auditions, the director will merely pick up the phone and call his Second Choice -- the actor who didn't get the part from the first audtion. (I myself have gotten more than one gig that way.  I'm not too proud to decline).

I've never heard of a Broadway tour replacing a major role with a local actor (although for dramatic license purposes it would make an interesting story).  Perhaps chorus or orchestra parts could be filled temporarily with local talent, but -- to preserve the integrity and "artistic vision" of the show -- a replacement actor is almost always flown in.

It is then the Stage Manager's job to rehearse the new actor seamlessly into the production.  It is the Company Manager's job to see that the outgoing actor (and their stuff) gets home safely.

-------------
"None of us really grow up. All we ever do is learn how to behave in public." -- Keith Johnstone

Date Posted: 5/05/06 at 10:25am
Thanks. That helps a lot. I wanted my replacement actor flown in from NY. She has filled this roll on B'way and gives the others (all unknowns on this tour because I want it that way) diva attitude, messing up the dynamics of their tight little company.
But our local theater guy told me shows often promote from within then hire newbies to re-stock the cast, so I thought flying a replacement in might ring false. You've set my mind at rest.

Really all this information is invaluable.
Also... when my girl with the injury gets better would she be allowed her place back in the show or is the contract broken?

ETA: Might as well ask more. Although the show is cast in NY, I'm using Chicago for the opening city (rehearsals and first performances) and traveling on from there. What kind of cities should be on this circuit? I'm picking random, decent sized cities that are sort of on a route; Toledo, Madison WI, Minneapolis, etc. But is there an established route that would be more logical? Again, all input welcome. This site is a gold mine!

Date Posted: 5/05/06 at 4:07pm

There is little logic to the route a tour takes.  Most decisions are based strictly on money, not geography.  Whoever plans these things does so at their own risk.  The following are all factors in what cities a tour might visit:

Venue availability:  Is there a proper-sized auditorium that can support this show technically and financially?   Nobody's gonna put a Broadway musical in a 50,000 seat auditorium or a 50 seat music hall.

Hotel space:  Is there a convention (or more) happening at the same time?  Is the city's home team in the playoffs?  All this leads to overcrowding.  If it's too much of a hassle getting crew and cast to the venue, then it's possible the producers might just pass knowing it will also be a hassle getting an audience there.

Weather:  Very few tours visit the Midwest in Blizzard or Tornado season.  There's an old adage "Never do plays in months with J's" that stems from this reasoning.

Politics:  City officials sometimes vie for "high-class" entertainment.  A tour might stop at one city and not another because the Mayor and his cronies are offering incentive deals on lodging, meals or other kick-backs.

Unforseen consequences:  The theater that was booked burned to the ground two days ago.  Or there's a workers strike affecting the city.  A flood or other natural disaster.  A plague of locusts.  A rock band or a bigshot country singer who find themselves with a #1 hit offered a better deal to the venue who might try to slip out of the contract. 

And speaking of contracts ...  if your girl is injured during the tour the producers are only responsible for her until she gets better.  By that time it's most likely her part has been recast.  She may be entitled to worker's comp or her contract may have simply given her 2-weeks severance.  And unless she can prove negligence or loss-of-work she will be hard pressed to get another dime out of them outside of her medical expenses.  Producers usually have insurance to cover that.

-------------

Date Posted: 5/05/06 at 7:39pm

This topic is quite interesting.

I will agree with Topper that on most Broadway-shows that are now touring, they will replace a lead or supporting actor instead of hiring local talent or using the "understudy."  Generally, if it is a large-enough name (such as Robert Guillome when he took over from Michael Crawford in Phantom) lead and the director is available, he will rehearse the actor with the company.  Sometimes the replacement actor will demand the director's presence. 

Otherwise, the stage manager ends up directing the actor and company--one of those other reasons stage managers should keep track of all directing/other notes given to actors so they can keep the show truly to what the director intended.

The cities--most of the tours I've seen have a plot like this:

1st year on tour:  large cities music centers and theatres:  downtown Chicago, downtown San Francisco, downtown Los Angeles, downtown Washington D.C., etc.

2nd year on tour:  the suburbs of large areas (you still need a large enough area to sell enough seats):  Oakland, San Jose, Santa Rosa (Bay Area); Thousand Oaks, Pasadena, Orange County PACs (LA), San Diego, Santa Barbara, Nashville, Phoenix  (smaller areas, but still enough for ticket sales). 

Of course, the producers will look at how a show "did" on the 1st round of the tour.  If ticket sales were off in a particular region of a country, they probably won't return to the same region the second year  (i.e., a right-wing pro-military piece in Northern California or Oregon or an amoral play with vulgarity and sensuality in the Bible Belt).

As for the route, you could use the inconvenience of travelling half-way across the country every other week as part of the conflict building in the company.  Everyone--no matter who they are--gets tired of living out of a suitcase and hotel room after 6 months, especially if they are with the same roommates all the time.

-------------

Date Posted: 5/06/06 at 2:59am
I?m sorry Bonnied I may have led you up a gum tree!
Being situated here, which has to be just a pimple on the backside of the theatre world. I should have realised by reading the posts again correctly, my experience is way out of date!
The last time I toured Nationally in OZ on large musicals, was back in the 60?s. Since then only being involved from a venue situation up until the 90?s.
However from experience with touring shows, the Administration of the Company was handled direct from their Head Office in another State. Otherwise it was all down to the Stage Manager to be everything to the Company. They even got involved with ensuring the Banking was carried out & everyone was paid, with advances from the Box Office receipts.
As with nearly all Companies these days, it is cheaper to employ technology rather than pay for labor. This is reflected in most of them, where by they cut the show to the bone. Which is rather unfair & a daunting task, to heap all the on site show responsibility on the heads of a very young Lass who has just come straight out of the performing arts college, . to head up these tours as the SM.
But all of this is hardly relevant to the genre of your novel. As we are far enough away to be still considered primitive by the large theatre producers & promoters!
As mentioned by Topper the incentives offered by local theatres, City Councils & even State Governments. To be included in a tour of a highly sort after show, are mind boggling at times!
In nearly all cases they are offered because of  ego & justified by the possible revenue they may generate.
As suggested there seems at times no logic applied with touring large musicals.
A recent one that comes to mind was the ?Producers? tour. From memory the show opened in Melbourne for a month, went to Brisbane for 2 weeks. Then Adelaide onto to a short season in Sydney. Back to Brisbane for a week, then Melbourne for a further 2 weeks & finished up in Sydney with a 3 week season. Geographically there is no logic to it, but from all accounts it was a success money wise.
Mind you the show had very simple stage settings & was easily bumped in & out!
Which begs the question why did they not come to Perth?
The answer might be just in the incentives offered to the production company.

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 5/08/06 at 12:37pm
Here are several new questions.
I was told that on big productions there are two trucks with two sets of everything on board; sets, costumes, whatever, so one truck can move ahead and set up the next location.

1. Are trucks used even if traveling halfway across the country to the next city?

2. If something was left behind by accident, say some props or a whole costume rack or something, would someone be sent back to transport it, or would the local theater box up and send it Fed Ex? I can't imagine errors like that would happen. There must be a stringent system of checks and double checks. But for the sake of the story I want a rough bump in (see how I cleverly used my new term?) with everything going wrong. The performers have a turbulent flight and a little things go wrong with the set so everyone's in a tense and unsettled mood.

3. Do actors check their props are set just like in community theater?

4. Where do vocal warm-ups take place? In our local theater everyone just gathers on stage, but it occurred to me it might not be that way. Are the warm-ups done with just a piano? What's the pre-show process.

5. Would there be a tech rehearsal at each new location before the opening just to make sure everything runs smoothly?

Thanks once again for any answers.

Posted By: castMe
Date Posted: 5/08/06 at 5:38pm

3. Do actors check their props are set just like in community theater?

5. Would there be a tech rehearsal at each new location before the opening just to make sure everything runs smoothly?

#3  They'd better check their props!  Off-Broadway show, scene is in a jail.  Inmate receives his meal minus a knife...no big deal he eats with his hands.  Enter actor number two.  They quarrel and actor two reaches for knife.  Not there.  Actor two kicks actor one in the bum.  Actor falls to his knees and before dying says, "The boot......it was.......poisoned."  Check your damn props. !

#5  There is sometimes a "set-in" rehearsal, particularly if the venue is radically different from the houses the production has previously visited.  I worked in an arena theater for years, one of only two on the usual touring circuit of the day.  The touring company would always have a set-in so as to re-block the show for the round.  If the theater were a proscenium, but unusually large or small they would probably need to walk thru if they are not travelling with their set. If they are travelling with their set, no need for a rehearsal.

-------------
Investigate. Imagine. Choose.

Date Posted: 5/08/06 at 5:46pm

Every tour is slightly different, depending on who's sponsoring it and so on.  I can only speak generally, from my own experiences.

1) Trucks are still the most efficient way of transporting sets, lights, etc.  Even if they were shipped by train or plane, you'd still need a truck to get them from the depot to the theater.  Every professional theater has a loading dock for this purpose.

2) "... stringent system of checks" ?!  I nearly choked on my coffee when I read that.  True, a quality stage manager and company manager will typically have everything under control.  Even so, the best laid plans ...  While it is rare to have an "whole costume rack" go missing (the wardrobe person would easily be fired on the spot), it is not unusual that a mislaid prop, set piece or costume does not find its way onto the truck.  If it happens repeatedly, the person responsible can be cited or fined by the producer, so everybody is pretty reliable about such things. 

If the item was important enough, it would be up to the CM (and/or SM) to decide how to replace it.  Having the previous theater ship it is one option (if there's time), another option would be to replace the item by purchase or rental (hence the fines -- the producer has to make up his money somewhere).

What would be more likely is if the prop truck or scenery truck was misdirected, broken down or involved in an accident.  This would delay the load-in considerably and give you the dramatic situation you're seeking.

3.  Actors are SUPPOSED to check their props, yes.  Do they always?  Hah!  It only takes once for a prop to go missing before the actor decides to check them every time.

4.  In professional theater, warm-ups are typically left up to the individual performer.  It is part of their job and, as such, if they strain or injure themselves due to improper (or non-existent) warm-ups, they are effectively putting themselves out of work.  It is not unusual to stroll down the hallway where the dressing rooms are and hear a cacophony of moos, trills, and la-las emanating from within.

Sometimes the dance captain might call a quick run-through of a number if the SM noted something sloppy in a previous performance.  If there's choreographed violence, then a fight call is always scheduled before the house opens.

5.  There is always tech!  Hopefully, for the performers it is a "dry tech" where the performers are not called and the SM simply runs though all the cues with the stage crew to make sure everything is in place and working properly.  However, every theater is different, so placing sets props and other things in the off-stage spaces changes from place to place.  It is beneficial for everybody if a tech takes place.  Sometimes it is constrained due to time issues (like the truck was late)!  Nobody can avoid tech.

-------------

Date Posted: 5/08/06 at 6:42pm

As to warm-ups, I've seen witnessed two different things:  actors in dressing rooms warming up individually or actors using the stage before house opens for stretching and vocals (in this case, they were vocally performing while stretching their bodies).

Very rarely have I seen an SM leading warm-ups and a game before house is open.

-------------

Date Posted: 5/08/06 at 9:02pm

"The performers have a turbulent flight..."

I didn't catch this first time through, but I don't believe this would be accurate in the scenario you're trying to create.  It is extraordinarily rare for a Producer to fly his entire cast anywhere.  Unless your producer has his own private aircraft, it is simply too expensive and not a cost-effective way to transport a large group of people. 

Broadway producers are polar opposite of Hollywood producers (even to the point of being on different coasts.)  Hollywood's answer to solving problems is throw money at it until it works (and since it's being captured on film, it only needs to work ONCE.)  Broadway's answer is to find a cheaper way of doing it or cutting it out altogether (Hey, we're doing this show eight times a week!  Do we really need all those Cats?).

Most performers are trucked together on a bus or "motor coach." (Call it what you will, it's still a #%$@! bus).  The reasons are many:  Namely, first and foremost, cost!  A bus can be rented by the week; plane tickets need to be purchased at every stop.  The coaches vary wildly in quality and comfort -- some may have sleepers, some may have a lavatory -- most likely, there'll just be large seats that recline somewhat with scheduled potty breaks or stops for food.

Another reason is that the motor coach keeps the actors, crew and their luggage all together in one spot.  The CM or SM has one less hassle trying to round up everybody.  No wasted time waiting around terminals for baggage to be checked or cleared.  Nobody is rushing to catch a plane and nobody gets left behind at the snack counter or restroom.  It's the same mentality that goes toward herding cattle:  keep the group together at all times.

Some larger tours may have designated "smoking" and "no smoking" buses but this is rare.  Most tour buses are "no smoking" and there are always several performers (or crew) who opt to drive their own vehicles in a caravan following the tour.  This gives them the option to smoke the entire trip, and it also allows them to have a car in a strange city and not rely on taxis or public transportation to scope out the night life after the show. 

Those who drive are sometimes paid a stipend for gas (which is never enough).  Parking, tolls, tires and general wear & tear are their own responsibilty that can be written off on their taxes.

In the case of the understudy replacement that you mentioned in previous posts, it would be understandable for the producer to spring for a plane ticket in order to get the new actor into rehearsal ASAP.  If there is no rush, the producer would just a soon offer train fare or a bus ride.

I've even heard of Producers tell their freshly-auditioned cast:  "Our rehearsals start on (Date) in (City).  Call the CM's cell phone when you get there to check in and find out where you'll be staying."  (The guy wouldn't even pay for transportation to get the cast all in one place to begin with!)

Hope this helps.

-------------

Date Posted: 5/08/06 at 11:14pm
Just a wee point ?Bump In/Out is jargon primarily only used in Oz!
The British use ?Get In/Out? & I think the Yanks mainly use the term ?Load In/Out??

Topper is right that trucks are used to transport the set from venue to venue. Even for long distances between, because it would have been loaded at the last venue & drive straight to unload at the next. Rather than put on a train or plane unless logistically it works out cheaper &/or it had to travel to another country.
Just as an aside!
The only large production I can remember that had more than one set on tour here was for the ?Rolling Stones?. It was an Arena event & took about 2 weeks to erect on site. So it was easier to have two sets, but both were transported on Semi Trailers. Even ?Cats? which was done in a Big Top trough out Oz was the same.
Back in the 60?s the national tour of ?Mame? the musical. Experienced a few problems getting from Adelaide to Perth, which is about 3000 Km?s & takes over 50 hours for the 2 semi?s to drive, in those days, on an unsealed road across the Nullarbor Plain.
The cast, management & costumes came over by train. But just after the train got through, the Nullarbor had a flash flood, wiping out the road & train tracks. The two Semi?s were marooned in the middle of the Plain. They were scheduled to arrive on Tuesday afternoon, but actually got there on the Saturday night. The show opened as planned on that Monday night. However not without a major problem of the newly installed Fly system malfunctioning on the Sunday morning, putting two flymen & one Sparky in hospital. Bringing down the whole of the fly pack, demolishing the ?Peckerwood? set & smashing the Revolving stage. We worked through until the Monday night show Opening repairing the damage. The show went up with no tech run or dress & worked well with the modified set & the replacement crew.
It was found during the repairs to the counterweight fly system, that the installers had used ordinary steal cable as the 4 dropper cables on each carriage, not preformed ariel cables. Also the eye bolts attaching the cables to the counterweight carriages, were not locked in anyway. The constant cable movement through the head blocks, during the cue to cue choreographed set changes. Started the cables to spin & undo the eye bolt nuts on the carriages. When the first cable released on one the over weight carriages, the other cable droppers gave way or snapped, splitting the Oregon Pine head battens & bring down the rest of the fly pack, like a pack of cards.
Luckily it was only a cue to cue tech run & none of the cast were on stage, but because the show used 4 winched trucks & a revolve with a spiral staircase on a false stage. It had 30 techies on the crew who were mainly in the wings, except for the sparky on stage. Who copped a head batten which caught the leg of his pants as he dived to push the TD out of the way & smashed through the revolves deck & the stage. He ended up doing the splits sideways, with one foot in the dungeon  & the other leg flat on stage, which would have brought tears to the eyes! The Flymen/mechanists were loading the pig iron bikkies on an adjacent carriage, when the run away one crashed down slicing one from his shoulder to the elbow & a loose cable whipping the other on the back while he was loading on the first fly floor. None of them came back to that show & eventually all recovered I believe.
The fly system cables were all replaced during the 6 week season between shows. But it took a few years to replace the whole thing.
A similar situation happened the Circus Oz Production Company tour who were to open at the Performing Arts Centre in Kalgoolie in the 90?s.  The truck with the sets, props & costumes was stranded & bogged on the Nullarbor, even though the road was sealed by then. Another flash flood marooned the truck for 2 weeks & they couldn?t go forward or back from where they came. We got the call while I was working in Bunbury PAC some 900km?s from the Kalgoolie PAC. To see if we could organise replacement circus props & equipment for  them. Luckily on ringing around we found a Circus company on tour in the north of the State 1200Km?s away from us. Who gladly lent some props/costumes & even had them trucked direct to kalgoolie. Also along with extra gear we sent, all the local CT?s in other towns within a ^00Km radius of them. Supplied set pieces, costumes & props so they could complete their tour of the West. By the way they although Circus Oz offered to pay, I believe they all did it for no charge!
So when the chips are really down all the Pro &Am Companies & Groups came together without any fuss to make it happen!  

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 5/09/06 at 12:37am
 Topper is correct about a lot of Producers being complete ratbags, it is in the genes!
Which is ironic that back in the puritan 1600?s in England, all performers of Playes & Interludes were to be regarded as rouges & vagabonds & should be sent to whence they came! According to a government edict  of the day concerning the London area.
These days this could be applied to a lot of producers!  
So it all depends where you are in the pecking order, for what type of treatment can be expected.
Near the bottom of the order, you are given a set pedium to cover expenses & are expected to pay your own accommodation & whatever.
If your travelling separately to the cattle drive, you may find your own if you break down, you could be left behind.
Actors Equity & other theatre Unions have reined these drongos in to a certain extent, with Standard Contracts. But if they do the old soft shoe shuffle & get out of complying - they will!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 5/09/06 at 11:05am
"It is extraordinarily rare for a Producer to fly his entire cast anywhere. " (where's the quote button in this forum?)
See. My local theater guy gave me wrong information about the flying. I would've guessed bus myself. Now it makes less sense than ever to me not to have a geographical progression of venues instead of criss-crossing the country. What a waste of gas.

I love the bus idea instead of plane. Talk about adding to stress and  forced togetherness. The part about some using their own cars is useful. I figured everybody had to take taxis around town, but now I can have some folks with cars too.

I've changed some things already because of what I learned here, eg. deleting Nina the make-up girl.
Now I have to change a scene toward the beginning where one of the actresses mentally rhapsodizes about how happy she is just to be there and be part of it all during vocal warm ups. No warm-ups.
However: "or actors using the stage before house opens for stretching and vocals" maybe I could get away with just changing it a little and having a few random people wandering around on stage instead of a led warm-up.

Sounds like the tech aspect can be a real hassle, not to mention sometimes dangerous. (No 'bump in'. 'Load in,' got it.)

And, as in many businesses, the moneymen are in conflict with the very thing they're trying to create. The company my husband formerly worked for is a prime example of that--a well-run, small operation bought out by a large corporation and decimated by ignorant, long-distance management decisions within five years time.

Thanks again for info.

Date Posted: 5/09/06 at 1:45pm

Again, there are typically no FORMAL warm-ups called for or conducted by the SM.  It is not unusual for informal groups to sprout up and help each other with bending, stretching, etc.

My favorite warm-up story involves a seasoned singer who had a pitch-perfect voice.  It was twenty minutes before the house opened. The company was scattered throughout the theater, each doing their own pre-show rituals as he walked onto the empty stage of this magnificent, old vaudeville playhouse (approx 1100 seats).

He inhaled, paused, and let fly a note -- a clear, resonant, bell-like tone that reverberated off the art-deco plasterwork and sent tingling vibrations through the skin of anybody within earshot.   It was a stunning thing of vocal mastery and beauty.

As the tone echoed into silence, he nodded satisfied to himself and walked off to the wings where I was standing, watching.  I said to him, "is that your entire vocal warm-up?"

"Man," he said, lighting up a cigarette, "if that one works, then they ALL do."

-------------

Date Posted: 5/10/06 at 4:03am

Sounds like the tech aspect can be a real hassle, not to mention sometimes dangerous. (No 'bump in'. 'Load in,' got it.)

We are separated by a common language - even in theatre!
When it comes down to their techies showing!
we do tend to differ between the Pohms & the Yanks.

However these days it has become easier to transmit complete production requirements & plots, from one venue to the next. With may be just a slight tweaking here & there, during the cue to cue tech run, in order to achieve the desired mise en scene result.

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 5/11/06 at 12:58pm
Say a company member was pulled over and given a DUI. In addition to paying a court fine, would that person be put on some kind of probationary status by the production? Or is it like any other job where what you do when you're not on company time is none of their business as long as it doesn't directly impact your performance? Would the person at least receive a reprimand or have dialogue with the SM?

Date Posted: 5/11/06 at 1:26pm

I have worked with theater groups where, I swear, it seemed that the after rehearsal drinking was main reason to be in the cast....the parties were legend.  On the other hand I have worked with groups that frowned on such behavior.  Personally I don't like working with drunks but enjoy a couple of cold ones after (not during) work.  There may be theater companies that would put a DUI recepient on probation but I have never seen it happen.  Maybe if they were drunk on stage but even then they seem to be pretty tolerant of lubricated behavior.

-------------

Posted By: Shatcher
Date Posted: 5/11/06 at 3:30pm

this is something that would be stated in your contract. I have seen tour contracts that include a line about after hours conduct, I don't think there would be any reprimand unless it affected the show (actor missing curtian ect) I am sure drunk on stage would be a problem. I have seen it happen, it is never good.

this is a fun thread... any more ?'s

Date Posted: 5/11/06 at 4:20pm

The only person(s) I can imagine being reprimanded for receiving a DUI would be any one of the drivers assigned to command the tour bus or one of the scenery trucks.

The Bus Driver would be on the payroll of the company from which the vehicle was rented and I'm sure his boss would have something to say about it.  The Driver(s) of the other trucks might be independent contractors or they might be members of the stage crew who have the right class of license.  In either case they would be directly answerable to the Producer.

And the only reason the producer would care is a DUI on their record would most likely raise his out-of-pocket insurance costs.  (The safety of the other people on the tour might be a smaller factor.)  Repeated infractions would be dealt with no doubt by the Producer, CM or SM if it affected the quality of the show.

"Minute I enter a stage door the bottle gets put away ... until intermission."

Gay Wellington You Can't Take it With You.

Date Posted: 5/12/06 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Shatcher

this is a fun thread... any more ?'s

Not unless you know stuff about drugs. That would be highly helpful. One of my storylines concerns a sweet-natured, naive, young actress, unseasoned, youngest cast member, first extended time away from home, nervous about her performance after being given such a huge opportunity, you get the picture. She falls under the influence of someone who uses drugs recreationally, nothing too heavy, maybe some pot and perscription drugs. He's trying to be helpful giving her something to knock the edge off her nerves, but she slowly becomes addicted. Not like climbing the walls and hallucinating addicted, but dependent. The point of her character arc is about a basically confident young person losing her way and the solid sense of self she had before she began the journey. She is tempered and introspective by the time she reaches the other side.

This has been the most troublesome of the three storylines. The others are charted out and complete in my head, but I don't know what kind of drugs to give Gretchen that would do what I intend, soothe her nerves but not mess up her performance--at least not until she eventually starts unraveling. And I'm still waffling on the catalyst for that. Thinking of the boyfriend/supplier getting a DUI, maybe even caught with drugs in possession, which takes him out of the picture leaving her adrift.

I was thinking of some kind of prescription tranquilizer, but that would make a person act muzzy and out of it. Any good drug ideas? Coke? I'd stick with alcohol, but it has to be something she can only receive from this person. It's all tied up in their rather unhealthy, co-dependent relationship.

The other stories, btw, are a great deal more upbeat, although they have their issues too or they wouldn't make for an interesting story.

So, anybody have any drug ideas? I don't know diddly about them.

Date Posted: 5/12/06 at 12:07pm

Here we go with my 2 cents worth.  I have a family member who is bi-polar so I have a lot of experience with perscription sedatives and stimulants.  Prozac  is used frequently to treat depression but it can have a serious side effect (particularly in bi polar patients) in that it can cause bouts of hyperactive behaviour and panic attacks.  A person who is over-medicated on anti-depresion medication will often suffer from insomnia which leads to the use of sedatives.  The one I am most familiar with is Trazadone.  This will slur the speech and make the person very "stupid"...driving through red lights etc. All of these drugs are addictive and all of them are available on the street.  You could have your character bouncing between up and down.

Another idea is the over use of presciption painkillers.  In the course of treating my daughter  I have come into contact with a lot of other familes and  it seems that there are a lot of young people out there who started out with a broken leg  or surgery and legal painkillers and then quickly graduated to "street" drugs cause it "felt soo good".

Hope this helps..... 

-------------

Date Posted: 5/12/06 at 8:44pm

Not unless you know stuff about drugs.

What makes you think theater people may know about drugs?

LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 5/15/06 at 12:27pm
Thanks Joan for the drug input, and everyone else for all information. I'm going to a writer's conference for most of the week and will resume my project after. I'm sure more questions will come to me before I'm through.

Date Posted: 5/15/06 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Topper

The only person(s) I can imagine being reprimanded for receiving a DUI would be any one of the drivers assigned to command the tour bus or one of the scenery trucks.

The Bus Driver would be on the payroll of the company from which the vehicle was rented and I'm sure his boss would have something to say about it.  The Driver(s) of the other trucks might be independent contractors or they might be members of the stage crew who have the right class of license.  In either case they would be directly answerable to the Producer.

And the only reason the producer would care is a DUI on their record would most likely raise his out-of-pocket insurance costs.  (The safety of the other people on the tour might be a smaller factor.)  Repeated infractions would be dealt with no doubt by the Producer, CM or SM if it affected the quality of the show.

"Minute I enter a stage door the bottle gets put away ... until intermission."

Gay Wellington You Can't Take it With You.

Speaking from 10 years of commercial driving (school bus, don't you know), receiving a DUI while operating a commercial vehicle is an automatic revocation of your license in most states (and that includes your Class C [normal automobile] license).  The producer would be required to replace an offending driver.

DUI by an actor in his own vehicle--the only way it should impact the show (unless he is touring with a religious group who has standards against drinking or overindulging) would be if he were incarcerated (jail time) during the run.

-------------

Date Posted: 5/15/06 at 8:18pm

Not unless you know stuff about drugs.

I never did them myself (honest!), but I did go to college at Humboldt State--part of the "Emerald Triangle" and world capitol of psychedelic mushrooms (or "shrooms").  I have witnessed a few actors under the influence of marijuana on stage.  They generally play their characters more "mellow," which is usually taken for the actor just having a lower energy level.  Occassionally, an addicted actor would become quite hyper when he needed a "hit."  Generally, the actor was unaware he was performing an differently than he had in the past.

Those who had done the shrooms usually were off in their own little world and wouldn't even respond to those around them.  Fortunately, I never witnessed anyone using shrooms during a performance.

I don't know anything about cocaine, heroine, or LSD.  If you do some searches on drug addiction, you might get some more information.

-------------

Date Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:22am
 Having been a Justice I never got into drugs or knew of any that did backstage, that comes to mind anyway!
Except alcohol, chocolate, caffeine & nicotine of course.
But back in the 50?s a lot of headliners & chorus in theatres, Smoked the marijuana puff?n stuff, known as ?Reefers?. Which were deemed as a status symbol as opposed to smoking the common ?Willies Woodbine fags, put out by WD & HO Wills.
I have known of quite a few that have done themselves in, with overdoses or topping themselves, by putting their head in the gas oven - which is very difficult to do these days! But that have resorted to cruder methods from throwing themselves from an overhead bridge onto a freeway & the old rope trick on the back verandah!
But that?s all another story & off topic!  

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: Aimee
Date Posted: 5/16/06 at 1:55pm

Back to the Tech for a moment. One of the theaters I work in brings in traveling groups all the time. A part of the Tech crew (running crew) that works for the theater, in my experience the company usally has the routine down and things go relatively smooth. (Yes each group is different) If it is early in the tour we experience for confusion as to how things are set up and what goes where. I spent proabaly 2 hours for one show tying, untying and their drops as they could not decide where they should be hung...it was very early in the tour for them. other times it goes so smoothly we get 3-4 hours downtime before the show.

Load in and load out are long hours...and if it is all done in one day, exhausting!  depending on the type of show and the company's schedule, yes it can be all done in one day. The cast usually show up well after everything is set up or nearly set up to run their rehersals, and checks, but the SM is there bright and early to help with load in, and load out.

Drugs, can't help you there....other than to say someone is bound to get hurt if there is drugs or alcohol being done...yikes

Good luck, this does sound rather intersting!

Aimee

-------------
Aimee

Posted By: Shatcher
Date Posted: 5/16/06 at 5:58pm
I have seen a few folks smoke the wacky tabacky while doing a show.Depending on the person the results vary. I would not put up with avy company member being drunk or high on stage, but if a tour is on the road and someone is drunk there may not be a way to replace them right away. I worked one summer of stack with an actor who had a drinking problem that the company managerment looked the other way. He was a long time member of the company and the public loved them, they did not know he was drunk on stage all the time ( or high on some kind of pills) He played his parts well and noone cared. untill he forget to pull his punch in a fight scene and knocked the other actor out cold! Mangerment asked him back the next year.

Date Posted: 5/17/06 at 6:59am
I agree about the booze & drugs, not being tolerated on the crew!
 But following on from Aimee!
Most touring shows the bump in/out [Load] dove tails in well at nearly all venues!
In fact a lot of touring company?s run a sort of unofficial table of the fastest bump out times at each venue.
It is timed from ?House Rag? In until the truck doors are shut!
I remember we became the fastest Bump out of Phillipe Genty Company?s world tour ?For get me not? production at the time. We beat a theatre in Dublin N Ireland. Who held the record to that point of 28 minutes 45 seconds, using 8 pro crew. We used 2 pro with 4 FOTT [friends of the theatre] volunteer crew & did it in 23 minutes & 41 seconds.
Of course this is a way of keeping costs down, & playing up on the bragging rights & Techies ego!
When we did the John Watters ?Glass Onion?, which took almost 15 hours to get in, because of the tours LD who kept changing his mind & experimenting with the lighting focus! The show opened on the Thursday for a 10 night season. We were informed by the venue management on the next morning, after the opening, by a stressed out FOH wooden top. That they had forgotten they had booked a heat of the Australia Eisteddfods for all day Saturday. John Waters had agreed to allow them to perform until 6:45 PM & they would go up later at 7;30pm to accommodate them.
Which meant returning every thing back to the standard  lighting rig & putting the Glass Onion set on rolling trucks. Because we had less than 45 minutes between the rag fall of the Eisteddfod & the first cue of Glass Onion.
Which meant it would have to be focus & set in less than 45 minutes!
I?m glad to say we had enough time to have a coffee & a smoke, before the ?Beginners Cue?!
The only thanks we received for busting guts & fixing up this stuff up, was from John & his cast. The FOH management was too busy compiling about not having enough time to clean up the mess in the auditorium & restock the Kiosk!
As Aimee posted the only time their is any confusion is near the beginning of a tour or with the calibre of the in house crew.
Symphony Orchestras are great, the bus pulls up at the loading dock 30 minutes before the performance. They are all back on the bus within 10 minutes of the final House Rag coming in! Then they are long gone before the punters clear the house.
The most drama & confusion is always create by Ballet & Opera Company?s on tour or not! But as they consider themselves as being & special? They are unique & another  story completly!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 5/25/06 at 9:03am

I have a question about the proper protocol for dealing with someone who?s late to a performance. Say this person arrives only a half hour (or less) before curtain. She?s been unreachable by phone. The understudy is all set to go on in her place. Would the stage manager have her sit out a performance and let the understudy carry on? Besides a verbal reprimand, would there be a financial penalty? How would the near absence be dealt with? 

Or, what if the performer was completely late and the production already begun, what would be the fallout from that?

I had a very useful writers' convention, btw, met a lot of online writer friends and had a couple of meetings with agents and editors. The high point of the week was when an editor from a publisher I'm interested in told me to re-send my proposal package (for a completed book, not this one I'm working on) directly to her! That's huge--getting off the slush pile and onto an editor's desk.

Date Posted: 5/25/06 at 2:19pm

I have my fingers crossed for you.....have you been following the thread in the Play Selection area?  We are talking about a parody of Taming of the Shrew called the Screwing of the Tame.....it might be a fun writing exercise for you although you sound as if your plate is full right now.  Again...good luck to you.

Now in answer to your question.....at our little theater we have had actors show up minutes before curtain (for various reasons) and we always let them go on with a minumum of fuss.  Afterwards, however, everyone had something to say to that person and, in this age of cell phones, there is no excuse for not being in touch.  The guilty person usually goes around and apologizes in person to everyone.  It is never forgotten and often brought up when we are considering casting that person again.

-------------

Date Posted: 5/25/06 at 4:19pm

In professional theater, half-hour call before curtain is fairly standard.  Unless their makeup, costume or warm-up procedures are very extensive or elaborate it would be unusual to require professional actors to arrive earlier than that.

That being said, there is nothing preventing actors from arriving at the theater BEFORE call (unless the doors are locked and the SM cannot let them in).  The SM is usually prepping the show at least an hour before showtime.  Usually it is the female actors who need to arrive early to spend time on their hair and don't want to rush.

If an actor arrives late, it is usually the SM who reprimands them.  The SM's wristwatch is always right.  Fines are not uncommon (anywhere from $5 on up to $50 or more) which can take quite a bite out of performer's salary on the road. 

Unless the SM was "trying to teach them a lesson" there would be no reason to prevent a late-arriving actor to sit out a performance in favor of their understudy.  And, depending on how much clout the actor might wield with the Producer or Patrons, the SM might be considered to be overstepping his authority to exclude the tardy actor.  In that case, it would the SM who was reprimanded for "not keeping closer accountability of their cast."

The SM might say, "The curtain goes up in five minutes; will you be ready?"  If not, it is up to the SM to hold the curtain for a reasonable time until the actor is placed.  I've seen situations where the show has already started, the understudy is in place, but the character who's missing has not made their first entrance yet.  The late-arriving actor makes it to the theater before his first cue, slaps on his costume and make-up and breezes onto the stage.  

If the show has already started, and said actor has already missed his first entrance, then it is most likely the understudy would complete that performance and the tardy actor would be penalized by fine or dock in salary.

This is where the messy problems of contracts come into play.  Most contracts would state that the actor on tour is obligated to a minimum number of performances per week.  If the actor fails to achieve that minimum, the producer can arbitrate this matter as he sees fit.  Fines, cuts in salary or even dismissal are all options.

And Joan 54 is right.  Peer pressure from the rest of the cast, or losing face in the presence of one's colleagues often carries much more weight than any monetary or legal consequences.

-------------

Date Posted: 5/26/06 at 9:26am
Thanks. That's about what I'd expect. Guess I need to cut it closer to curtain time for additional drama.  Or maybe have her miss a performance entirely, showing that she's starting to mess up and slowly unravel.

Date Posted: 5/26/06 at 2:30pm
Have her be an hour late....thinking that the matinee was at three o'clock...not two o'clock...I've seen that happen twice.

-------------

Date Posted: 5/26/06 at 8:40pm
I used to think when I seen the younger ballerinas crowd in the wings to watch the Prima or a Lead dancer perform, that they were there because they were interested in learning & picking up tips on technique or what ever. But then I learned they were actually watching & hoping the dancer would make a blue or not be able to carry on, so they could have a chance to move up the pecking order.
Which reminds me of the musical Applause, where Margo the star is conspired against to miss a performance. So her PA come understudy Eve Harrington, takes her place & performs in the lead role.
To the acclaim of the punters & critiques a like!
Which culminates in Margo singing a song & one of the lines is "Welcome to the theatre, where murder is sweetly done".
It is not all smiles. peace &harmony, you have to be wary of the very subtle & sickly sweet ones, if there is a chance to move up to a better role. Their claws can come out in a flash & that?s only the blokes!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 5/26/06 at 8:52pm
Gaafa, I have kidded friends for years when a famous actor or director dies "Well, I moved up on the list today.  If I out-live enough of them I get to be on Broadway, TV, etc. 

You are right tho....many a catty comment in made thru a fake smile.

-------------

Date Posted: 5/26/06 at 9:21pm
 I always mentally try to sing the ?Cats Chorus? by Rossini, which I seen done brilliantly by 2 Divas at the Albert Hall!
every time I detect the meeeow, a subtle comment or that certain smile!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: MartyW
Date Posted: 10/04/06 at 12:54pm

Just updated this for it to be easier to find.

-------------
Marty W

"Till next we trod the boards.."

Posted By: avcastner
Date Posted: 1/19/07 at 4:16pm
Any report on how the book is going?

-------------

Date Posted: 3/02/07 at 12:58pm
Hello, all. I was weeding out some of the bookmarks on my computer and found this thread. Just thought I'd check in and tell you the status of the novel. I finished it last summer and after my crit partner went over it, I edited then sent out proposals to several publishing houses.

I decided to enter the opening chapter in a writing contest for which the top prize in each category is a reading at the Ahearn literary agency. Although I'm a published writer, I am still agentless, so it seemed like pretty good incentive to enter. "Touring Company"  placed third in the long contemporary category. http://solawriters.org/winners2006.htm - http://solawriters.org/winners2006.htm
That means no agent reading for me, but some valuable critiques from several judges.

Meanwhile, the manuscript proposal waits at a couple of publishing houses. If I'm not able to get in the door of a paper publisher, I'll go the e-published route as I have with my other books. E-books are the future, although people will always want paperbacks too. I'm able to make a reasonable supplemental income with my writing now and have a number of releases scheduled throughout 2007.

When "Touring Company" is finally published, and it will be, I'll supply the link here. Thanks again for your help in getting some of the details right.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info