Print Page | Close Window

Rehearsal scheduling...

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Producing Theater
Forum Name: Directing
Forum Discription: For questions about handling shows, actors, crew, board members, children ...or do we repeat ourselves?
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5012
Printed Date: 4/29/24 at 7:41pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rehearsal scheduling...
Posted By: MusicManD
Subject: Rehearsal scheduling...
Date Posted: 3/21/11 at 4:09pm
This has been something of a struggle for me this year.  Due to increasing commitments of many of my student actors- primarily sports practices- I've had to cut rehearsals down from 3 hours (6-9) to 2 hours (7-9).  I refuse to go past 9pm on a school night except during production week.

I ran the Musical rehearsals three nights a week (Mon, Tue, Thu) and started rehearsal about 10 weeks before the show.  Things felt rushed to me.  When the Spring Play came around, then, I auditioned the first week of January and started rehearsals the next week, giving us about 8 or 9 weeks to put it together.  Since it was a somewhat shorter show and had no music involved, I cut back to only two nights a week, still 7-9.  Bad weather came in and canceled a few of our rehearsals, and rescheduled school events from that bad weather canceled a few others, so all in all we had something like 14 rehearsals, including production week.  Maybe 30 hours, tops.  We got it done and it was a great show, but it was enough to raise my blood pressure a few points.

Looking at next year, I'd really like to do "Seussical," but I am concerned about the additional musical demands.  If I audition the first week of the school year and begin rehearsing immediately, I can get 11-12 weeks of rehearsals.  This gives us around 70 hours of rehearsal.  This, however, does make for a LONG rehearsal process and might burn some kids out, especially the athletes.  PLUS that would cost me an additional $400 since the Seussical materials are generally sent out only 8 weeks before the show.

Instead, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to extend the rehearsal time to 10pm (I hate that).  That way, we can achieve the same 70 hours of rehearsal in 8 weeks.  That makes for eight weeks where the athletes are putting in 14 hour days, and the shorter schedule REALLY scares me.

So what sort of a schedule do you guys run?  How many weeks, how many days a week, and for how long?

Replies:
Posted By: NDTENOR
Date Posted: 3/23/11 at 11:01pm
I was fortunate enough to have done only one show in High School. I didn't start doing community theater until 25 years after high school but since then I've done about 35 community theater shows in about 11 years. It is my hobby and I love it.

That being said there were a number of experience from high school that may be worth considering.
Generally I felt that there were way too many rehersals . Kids that age, although lacking in experience, greatly make up for it it energy and spirit and absorb things much more quickly. I can recall being boared a lot of the time. If your rehersals are efficent and well organized the kids will do it on a much shorter schedule.

Another thing I seem to remember was the director ( a teacher, that I assume you are too ) not really giving enough responsibility for the production to the students. Everything, as I remember, seemed to be under the directors close scrutiney and there was very little of "spreading out" of responsibility to students. That unquestionably "slowed" thing down too. It's suprising what can happen when you give more responsibility to students....

Another thing to consider.... I noticed in your schedule that rehersals were only during the weekdays from 7 to 9 or 10. Don't you think students might be a little tired at that time? And possibly conserned about getting their homework done? Is it against the rules to have rehersal on Saturday or Sunday? Personally I have always prefered weekend rehersals as I am rested and much less tired after being at work all day. Possibly students might feel the same?

And the final thing to say : Is the show "Their" show or "Your" show. If the students do a good show, ( For YOUR sake ) but don't learn anything ... was it really worth doing at all? That is, are you doing a show which challenges them and makes them learn something and inspires them or just a show where some of your friends afterward say ( and possible the Principal)... Oh! That was a nice show! So that you are really just trying to make yourself look good?    

Posted By: Rorgg
Date Posted: 3/25/11 at 12:52pm
Yeah... I'm going to avoid questioning your motives and answer the question at hand:

12 weeks is a really long rehearsal process.  You want to avoid the trap of "well, yeah, we're pretty much ready, and the show's still 3 weeks away.  Uhh... let's run it again!" because it can really take the steam out of a production.  Depending on the show, though, the extra time can be used for ... you know ... acting, the thing that tends to get overlooked in musicals with kids.  The thing is, Seussical is so cartoony (and I say this in a loving way, I've played Horton and am tossing around the idea of doing it again this summer) that there's not a lot there you probably need to do.

So, given that, I would go with the shorter timeframe, and maybe split the difference... 9:30 rehearsal, and then schedule longer rehearsals (to 10) for the last 3-4 weeks or so.  If everything's going great, and you don't need the extra time (and you may not), you'll know before you get there and can announce it.  But having a 3-hour rehearsal at the point when you're doing runs is a TERRIFIC help.  Run your trouble spots from the night before, make adjustments, then run the show.  And you'll actually have time for it.

Posted By: Theatermama
Date Posted: 3/26/11 at 7:10pm
I work with kids a lot and  my career requires me to work 2 nights a week which cuts into rehearsal time.  Do you call the whole cast for all rehearsals?  I never call the whole cast until we begin running acts or they are learning a whole cast scene.

I just did "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown." We auditioned before Christmas and then began rehearsals the week the college kids came back (2nd week of January) We opened March 6 - so about 10 weeks of rehearsal but only Tuesday, Thursday from 6-9 and Sunday 12-3.  Sunday was dance rehearsal and all were called but Tuesday and Thursday were called by scene - grouping as many of the same characters together as I could so no one, not even Charlie, had to be there for all rehearsals.   I run this organization twice - first to block it and second to work it and then we run acts and finally we run the show.  I start my calendar with tech week and work backwards so I can make sure I get the number of run throughs I want and then I start at the beginning and schedule to the runthroughs taking into consideration their scheduling conflicts.

I could see that this could work well with students varied schedules.

Our theater teacher rehearses 2-3 days a week after school until closer to the show.  Kids write in a book when they can't be there and she works around those when she rehearses that day.

Our choir teacher rehearses the show during choir class and then 2 nights a week from 7-9 until tech week which is 6-10.

You could call whole cast rehearsals a couple of times a week but then have scene or song rehearsals at other times.      

Date Posted: 3/26/11 at 7:52pm
^^ This was pretty much how I ran the musical.  We did Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Mondays were leads only.  A couple of rehearsals were chorus only.  I also called in some people early when I could, or let other cast members come in later, depending on the rehearsal's needs.  The show wasn't SUPER music heavy - maybe ten songs total - so we had more blocking rehearsals than music rehearsals.

I'm also doing a lot of things alone because there's nobody to share the load with.  The actual drama teacher used to help with the musical, but now he's had to pick up a lot of other classes and he's now unavailable.  I have my choir accompanist available to help, but there's only so much she can do.  I had her running music with students while I worked with others, but even that wasn't very effective since most of the leads were involved with every scene.  The end result is that for that show, I could really only effectively rehearse one thing at a time.

I can't justify using my choir class as rehearsal for the musical for two reasons.  First, not every student is involved (although I will be pushing for more students to be involved next year).  Secondly, we have a concert that happens about three to four weeks before the musical opens.  Thus, classtime has to be devoted to that material.  It's terribly tempting, though, to use some of that time.

I do like that technique of working backwards from tech week when figuring out rehearsal schedules.  I should do that in order to figure out how many weeks we'll need.  Now if only MTI would send out something USEFUL in their perusal copies- like scores!

Date Posted: 3/28/11 at 12:03am
Music Man D:

I seem to hear from what you say you have "no help" with these students. Yet from other responses I seem to hear that you've been around the community theater circuit a bit. Don't you possibly think that some of these community theater people, who you probably know, who have tons of experiences would be willing to help you out if you asked them? I've done over 35 community theater shows and I know people who have done over 300. I think the help is out there if you look for it. And many community theater people would be glad to lend a hand , free of charge. Unless , of course , you WANT to be the big fish in the small pond.

Date Posted: 3/28/11 at 12:39am
If you have a local college with a theater department, you can often get students who want some directing, lighting or acting coach experience that can make you not feel alone and also using Juniors and Seniors in leadership roles is very useful. My son directed the huge spring production his Junior year and the teacher was meerly the technical director and helped produce it. It was very successful and he is now a Junior theater major at state university.  That year the students did everything to produce the show themselves with guiding only.  Our choir often uses student choreographers and student acting and vocal coaches.   Don't overlook parents either - we use a big parent contingent to take care of many things from designing and building sets to taking care of marketing and publicity and tickets and concessions etc.

Date Posted: 3/28/11 at 6:01pm
NDTenor: That is the second time you have come into my thread and questioned my motives. I simply don't appreciate it. To be frank, I've read a lot of your posts on this site, and you consistently present yourself as an actor who believes his own views are superior to the director's. You consider a director who takes time to teach inexperienced actors to be a "tyrant" and refuse to accept direction unless it is from the author himself. You've even said you would quit a show over artistic differences. Why on earth, then, should I give any prudence to anything you've had to say?

Here is my situation- we lived in this community when I was growing up, but moved away 15 years ago. I graduated high school, finished college, then taught band and choir several years in another school two hours away. Got a better job here and was handed the director's post for the drama department. Although I did a dozen shows with the community theatre here from 1989 to 1997, after we moved I did another few dozen with school, community, and professional theatre groups around the state. Now I'm back, and plan to get involved with the CT again (in fact, they are auditioning for their first summer show on April 30, and I plan to be there), but truth be told, I only know one person still involved with the group. Once I begin to build more relationships, you can bet I will be utilizing those resources.

These two shows this year have been the first time I've been the sole director. I've been the musical director, assistant director, co-director, and I even directed a few one act plays, but these two shows have been my first experiences as DIRECTOR.

I am finding parents and older students to be incredibly useful. Our stage manager is a senior that I have found incredibly helpful. For the musical, he came up to me two weeks before the production and offered his help- he solved several strange issues for me (a vacuum cleaner that had to explode, creative ways to dress the set, etc). For the play, I had him on board from the beginning, along with a senior student director and a senior who was doing set design as his drama class project. We outlined the entire show and set them loose on it. I still had to be around to help and supervise, but those students made the show work. Parents: I have a FANTASTIC mother of a junior (thank the lord, she also has an eighth grade son, so I'll keep her for four more years) who not only feeds the kids every show night, but is a professional face painter. The play was a fairy tale-themed show, so she did almost the entire cast's makeup.

With every show, I make notes, both mental and physical, to improve the shows in the future. I get new ideas and learn from the past, often changing what I do to see if certain things are necessary. For example, the musical had a regimented rehearsal calendar that I found to be bulky, so I tried the play with a much more fluid schedule. Next year, the regimented calendar comes back because I didn't like how the more flexible schedule worked. That's why I'm here- to learn from others' experience.

Toward that end, Rorgg and Theatermama, thank you for your great suggestions. We do have a couple of active college theatre programs around, and I hadn't even though about utilizing those resources.

Date Posted: 3/28/11 at 11:11pm
Music Man - more power to you and thank you for bringing theater to your students.  My boys have been involved in school theater as well as CT since they were 5 years old (the youngest since he was 3) and it has been a most wonderful experience. 

As a director in a very bare bones CT - I tend to do all of the roles or more than one or two - I usually produce, direct and often just do the stagemanaging myself and do costumes and design the set (though my husband builds them for me) - I hire in my lighting designer and choreographer and music director if it is a musical.  If my oldest is in town, he lights my shows for me and usually assists in many ways and my middle son is my graphic designer and sound designer and I am going to teach my youngest how to be a stage manager then we have a whole company in our house.  I do my own programs, fund raising and publicity, so I know where you are coming from. 

I have really worked at trying to get other people on my team and it does make it more fun and easier but sometimes I just prefer to do it myself.  I now have a stage manager who has done a couple of shows with me, a music director and a choreographer I can usually count on, and a lighting designer if I remember to reserve her early enough.

So when my boys do school theater, I am a very active parent - I specialize in publicity for them as I have built a wonderful link list to publicize.  I help with costumes but have never been asked to design for them though I began my theater career as a costume designer, I do tickets, concession, food for cast, prop finding and set painting.  My middle son is in both the school theater program as well as the show choir which does a full fledged musical each fall and that is totally run by parents for everything besides directing and music.  IT is a choir of 75+ kids and all of them are in the musical.  I serve on several of the committees, but I am a sophomore parent and many are on their 2nd or 3rd child going through so I am still a newbie here.  The theater program, I am on my second son through that and in my 6th year so I have more clout and she has me for 6 more years as I have another son 2 years out.
Flexibility and organization is the key skill to have and it sounds like you have that.  YOu are also willing to try things and change them if they don't work. I direct differently than a lot of my collegues but it works for me and I am always proud of what ends up on that stage and as long as you can say that - you are fine.  Good luck on your auditions, I like to be on stage too when I get the chance.

Date Posted: 3/28/11 at 11:30pm
See, I don't mind delegating some tasks, but I also don't mind doing them myself. The whole process is really fun. Things continue to fall through the cracks- I need to figure out a really reliable way to publicize, for example- but I get better every time. I love theatre, and had my family stayed in this community through my high school graduation, I very likely would have majored in theatre rather than in music. Having this opportunity to indulge in and share my love of the stage with my students is simply priceless.

Date Posted: 3/29/11 at 12:05am
Music ManD:

Socrates said " The unexamined life is not worth living' . I always examine peoples motives and question them. As I examine my own.

And if you seem to be having a problem with my observations ....then..." Methinks the lady ( or He ) doth protest too much".

Finally.... I have the greatest respect in the world for some directors... and absolutely none for others.

Date Posted: 3/29/11 at 1:02am
Shrug... a troll is a troll is a troll.

I just don't appreciate the way you respond to things. You post a lot about directors that you have an issue with, and very rarely about the ones you claim great respect for, leading the reader to assume that there are more of the former and less of the latter. Like it or not, this says a great deal about you. For that matter, you post a lot in this Directing forum, almost exclusively from the perspective of an actor, and often the discourse ends with, "Well, if you were the director, I wouldn't act in your show" or "I would think twice about auditioning for your show." You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but I simply don't care for the way you talk about it; entering under the auspices of assistance or insight, but instead crying out, "Look at me! Look at me!"

Take this thread, for example. Your first statement is, "I was fortunate enough to have done only one show in High School." Here you proclaim your inexperience and that even the one show was a bad experience, but then you plunge forward as if you are some sort of authority, attempting to tell a teacher what students are capable of. At no point do you even attempt to answer the question posed in the original post, nor would you be able to, not being a director. Every part of your participation in this thread has been from a position of condescension which, again, I simply do not appreciate.

Posted By: TonyDi
Date Posted: 3/29/11 at 7:28am
MusicManD, unfortunately there is always ONE on every site and this has gone on for quite some time. I agree with everything you've said thus far. There are times when as Lincoln has been attributed as saying I believe, that you do  "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."  Sadly there is always that one "expert" who thinks they know more than anyone else and has no problem "opening their mouths". I'm sure everyone has an opinion but we ALL know the cliche' about opinions I'm sure.  And it's less and less fun to come on here where people are normally so good about helping and sharing and expressing their stories of work "in the trenches" so to speak, only for that "one" to come on and make snide remarks, to criticize, to boast mightily, in an attempt to elevate themselves or to try to set themselves apart - so everyone may think they're some expert at doing theater when it is so subjective as to be ridiculous to try to make it sound as though their way is the only way. Seems this member in question has had bad experiences that has made them sour to the intent of community theater or educational theater - that being to learn, to teach, to present good work to the best of the collective ability and to HAVE FUN doing it.  Some people just come off negative about everything because they think it makes them sound superior.  Well guess what - that isn't the case here and it's painfully obvious.

I find it sad that I have to come on here every day and see these kinds of remarks that make it tedious for everyone at having to deal with these self-aggrandizing, self-appointed experts - or seemingly so. I would rather find the edification in what is shared here and for the most part I do. But as I said, there is one in every group (at least). Just keep doing what you're doing.  It sounds to me as though you have a great viewpoint on how you do what you do to have a superb experience with your group.  I think he who "examines his own motives" needs to do a lot more soul-searching to quit protesting too much as he accuses anyone else of doing. The MIRROR is a harsh but revealing thing to accept. As an actor who has also worked with loads of directors as well as being a director myself, I learn from everything and everyone and don't set myself above anyone regardless of what I think in terms of my own confidence or experience. Rather I choose to be a sponge to everything to make what I get to do that much more rich if it's going to be and fun if I can make it that. This is after all community theater and not Broadway or professional theater necessarily. And if I WANT TO WORK and have some fun, I cannot be so closed-minded or feel so superior that I limit my opportunities because I think I know more or am better than some director or it's "beneath" me as this member seems to think.  If some people are so good, they need to be doing it for a living and not criticizing everybody else  to try to make themselves look good. This is why I finally retired from doing it - just too many like this that I couldn't stand it anymore and did NOT want to grow to hate it because of this type of negativity or self-appointed authority and promotion. Seems to me - in my nearly 64 years that people like this I've known are trying to compensate for something else in their own sad existences. Ah well, no accounting for good sense I suppose in those cases. Neither do most of us have time for this kind of junk on this site even occasionally.  We'd do better to ignore it as much as possible and find the good things that we can share and discuss on here and let the rest pass by - as it surely will.

Good for you - keep up the great work.  And I like to read about your experiences. Seems you have a good handle on how to work with your group and make the most of everything you do with positive attitudes and outlook. It's a pleasure reading YOUR comments.

TonyDi

-------------
"Almost famous"

Date Posted: 3/29/11 at 11:53am
MusicMan -- you're a braver man than I, Gunga Din.  Not only would I run in terror trying to take on a full-fledged musical like this without a distinct MD and choreographer, I don't even like doing straight plays without a staff.

I think I finally got to where I wanted to be in my last directing gig.  I had not only an AD and SM with some experience, but they (they're a couple) had suggestions for a costumer and set builder with lots of experience, and my producer knew a set designer (who ended up auditioning for the show as well and did a great job in a major role), plus I called in someone ELSE to do a video segment that played at the top of the show, AND the company had a dedicated sound & light board guy.

I talked with everyone at the top of the show, and explained to them the idea for the show, how I thought it should look and feel, and the broad vision I had for it, then assigned my AD to make sure that it was getting done.  She covered all those things at a high level, when there was a call to be made it came back to me, but those were very rare, and in the end, we had a great looking show with a lot of complex elements that looked GREAT, and I was able to concentrate on the acting, where I needed my head to be.

I can't fathom adding music and dance on top of that without more people dedicated to that stuff.  Not to mention, splitting that load lets you work multiple things with different groups at the same time, multiplying your rehearsal time.

Date Posted: 3/29/11 at 12:12pm
^^ All true and valid points, but you do what you can with what you've got. After all, it's not the kids' fault that the school budget can't support a larger staff. Thus, it's my job to make everything work and still give them the best experience possible.

Luckily, I've had some experience in all those fields, including choreography (although limited), so at least I can do it. Now that I'm discovering student and parent strengths, I'm feeling more comfortable knowing what tasks I can hand to what people without feeling like I need to come up with a backup plan (I'm sure everyone here knows what that's like). I don't think I will ever turn over the reins for the AD/MD roles since the former is my passion and the latter is my profession... but I certainly don't mind letting someone else handle set construction, stage managing, promotion, etc, etc, etc... I suppose if I was forced, I'd hand over MD responsibilities before the AD job... mainly because the AD job is more fun.

I can't wait until I have some parent or student who has been heavily involved and trained in dance. This year for the musical, I had a senior who was on the dance team and wanted to do some choreography. I thought that was great and handed her a couple of numbers. Over the course of rehearsal, it didn't get done and didn't get done, and I slowly started choreographing her numbers one by one. In the end, every stitch of dancing on the stage was mine, and I was a lot more stressed out than had I just done it myself in the first place. Now I know that girl was trying to do rehearsals, dance team, and hold down a part time job. The extra responsibility was just too much.

Posted By: Majicwrench
Date Posted: 3/29/11 at 1:35pm
MusicManD,
  Been following this with interest, rehearsal schedule and dealing with--or without--competent assistants is always an interesting subject. Not anything to add really, other than that is seems like rehearsals are getting harder to schedule...kids have too much going on. ANd the senior dancer, good for you for letting her try, even if you ending up doing it all. I have a tought time saying  " OK, you can take over that....." is always scary.
   Keep it up.

Posted By: Amos Hart
Date Posted: 3/29/11 at 1:52pm
MusicManD:

The only thing you can do with NDTenor is ignore him.  He has a Must Have the Last Word compulsion and was banned from another theater board for being a fire-starting troll.

As for his being an Expert with disdain for directors: a friend of mine saw NDTenor at an audition the other night.  His attitude was blatant - "Why are you wasting my time?  Just give me the part now."  The funny part being that he wasn't a good enough actor to hide this.

I have not responded to him directly on this board, nor will I.  And this will be my only post concerning him.  Again - the only way to handle him is to ignore him completely.

Date Posted: 3/29/11 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Amos Hart

MusicManD:

The only thing you can do with NDTenor is ignore him.  He has a Must Have the Last Word compulsion and was banned from another theater board for being a fire-starting troll.

As for his being an Expert with disdain for directors: a friend of mine saw NDTenor at an audition the other night.  His attitude was blatant - "Why are you wasting my time?  Just give me the part now."  The funny part being that he wasn't a good enough actor to hide this.

I have not responded to him directly on this board, nor will I.  And this will be my only post concerning him.  Again - the only way to handle him is to ignore him completely.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE! That's the best course. That type rarely gets it though and surely won't take the hint. Too bad.  Ignoring is best - prudent and rather quite easy. But I SO agree with you on this.

TonyDi

-------------
"Almost famous"

Date Posted: 3/29/11 at 2:21pm
Good advice there, probably best if I take it as well.

On the subject of the non-productive assistant -- this is why I put my AD over all the other stuff.  I know, I know, another volunteer to oversee the volunteers ... but it all got done.  Obviously, you can only do what you can do, though.

Frankly, the people who like to do things like costumes, props, set construction ... I don't get it, but I'm INCREDIBLY grateful they exist and love them all to pieces.

Date Posted: 3/29/11 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by NDTENOR

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause . Victor Hugo

When you have no basis for an argument, abuse the plantiff. Marcus T. Cicero

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing. Oscar Wilde

"EGO: The fallacy whereby a goose thinks he's a swan."

"An egotist is a self-made man who worships his creator."

"Every time you start thinking you're the center of the universe, the universe turns around and says with a slightly distracted air, "I'm sorry, what was your name again?" "

"The nice thing about egotists is that they don't talk about other people."

-------------
"Almost famous"

Date Posted: 3/29/11 at 3:26pm
Musicman - just to skip over all of the drama - and get back to the discussion.  On publicity here are some things I have found helpful.

The high school totally believes in yard signs - you can get them online pretty cheaply if you buy at least 50 (don't try making them yourself - i did that with Charlie - got 5 done it was aweful - never again.)  but they do get the word out, I never have money for them in CT but they are worth the investment.  We do posters - our school system has a print shop and we can get colored posters tons cheaper than say a Kinkos so don't know if you have that but if not what I have done cheaply - is  design a flyer or poster and print on colored paper, that works pretty well if people put them out there and don't just leave them in their car.  We have a publicity committee in the choir and theater programs that has locations mapped in groups of 4 or 5 that are given to parents and it is easy to put out 4 or 5 and they are responsible for removing them when the time is over.  I am in charge of the online stuff and I have developed a link list which I use for school as well as CT publicity. I put us on all of the community bulletin boards, send announcements to the local newspapers, get interviews with local radio stations or they will do public service announcements usually for free, sometimes depending on the show we can be featured on a local kids t.v. show, put on previews at our local library, get the school to send out to their parent e-mail list and put it on their homepages, have all of the cast log in addresses of 15-20 friends and family and send out postcards, make a facebook event page and have cast invite friends and offer free ticket questions.

Our choir does a huge ad sale fundraising and they publish a magazine with ads and kudos for the whole choir - remember this is a huge choir.  Each student must sell $700 and this money goes to pay for the spring trip the choir takes and then they charge $450 membership fee (this is an audition only choir and highly sought after to be in it) and this is for her accompaniest/choreographer who only makes an aide salary from the school and performance clothing and music plus other expenses.   The choir is run by a parent board who then head committees made up of other parents - each parent is expected to contribute in some fashion and they do. It is actually quite intense but has worked for over 20 years and fully sanctioned by the school district.

If you can do music and choreograph as well as direct you have some amazing skills - I have to pay for what I can't do - I don't sing, play an instrument or dance and I am afraid of heights so I don't do lights either though I know what I want it to look like - I pretty much can do all other jobs if need be.

The next time I do a show, I am going to take a survey to see how people decided to come see the show and also what publicity they noticed so I know what is affective.  I know that personal invites are very effective and also if the kids can presell tickets that helps a lot too.  I know yard signs work well but I think a lot of the other print stuff is just ignored as we have info overload.

What really worked for us in my CT this year was getting an online Media Sponsorship from our local paper.  In exchange for a full page ad, some free tickets to give away, mentioning them at curtain speech, they put in a banner on the online paper that was guaranteed 20,000 sightings in the month as well as they sent out the offer of free tickets with a link to the website to over 9000 e-mails - we have this for every show this year.  We also almost always get a mention in the theater column as well.  I am going to check to see if they would sponsor the high school too (not holding my breath here but hoping).

Posted By: sguti39
Date Posted: 3/29/11 at 3:29pm
Sounds like your group is high school age...so my response is based on that.

For musicals we run 10 week schedules but 4 times per week for a minimum of 2.5 hours, especially if there is heavy choreography.  For straight plays 8 weeks, 3-4 times per week 2 hours per night.  Shakespeare and more difficult material may be 4 nights, but only 2 hours.  For us it is typically Monday-Thursday and not everyone is called to every rehearsal, but we have had one director do monday, wed, thursday, saturday to break up the week.

The rehearsal schedule is pulished in advance of auditions so that everyone can identify their conflicts.  If an actor cannot meet at least 85% of their characters designated rehearsal times, they WILL NOT be cast in that role.  Additionally, if an actor misses more than 2 undeclared called rehearsals (not including illnesses) they will be removed from the production and replaced. 

This may mean that some of your athletes or performers with too many conflicts may not participate, but this is reality not only in theater, but when they become adults and have responsibilities and jobs.

Way back when I was in high school it was 7-10pm...but hey those were rougher times and our clock was a sun dial:) 

-------------
S.G.

Date Posted: 3/30/11 at 10:18am
Originally posted by sguti39

The rehearsal schedule is pulished in advance of auditions so that everyone can identify their conflicts.  If an actor cannot meet at least 85% of their characters designated rehearsal times, they WILL NOT be cast in that role.

That's certainly a valid approach.  My girlfriend, who ran a theatre program of her own and has directed a couple dozen shows has a different philosophy, which I've kind of come around to:

You do NOT set the audition schedule ahead of time.  Rather, you set your schedule to accommodate the best cast you can get.  It requires flexibility from the director(s) and other help to some extent, but it can pay off.  Before we were dating, she asked me to come out for a part, and managed to work my rehearsal dates in between dates for another show I was in rehearsal for so, while I was really busy, I wasn't missing any time  or rehearsal material, and there were some other (if not too extensive) schedule juggling bits for others.  When I directed for her program a few months later, I adopted the philosophy, and while the actual rehearsal days didn't change, we did a lot of shuffling of what got worked when to make the most of our time.  Sure, we did act 2 on Mondays and act 3 on Tuesdays, and act 1 on Wednesdays, but so-and-so couldn't make Mondays and wasn't in Act 2... and so forth.

Tricky to set up, and I had to keep looking at my schedule to see what we were doing the next night, but it let us pull off a show on a relatively short schedule, and absences were almost nil.

Posted By: sguti39
Date Posted: 3/30/11 at 4:58pm
I completely respect the approach of working with actors as much as possible, especially on a small cast and a straight play.

I am simply offering an alternative that 1.) provides expectations 2.) treats all actors with respect 3.) does not provide an appearance of unfair practices (and I stress the appearance--I have seen many shows experience EXTREME drama because of perceived unfairness) 4.) and in my experience, has been successful. 

It may not fit everyone's situation or style.

This may not have been your situation, but it seems that these days our kids and our lives are so overbooked.  "Sally Superstar" is in tap every monday, soccer practice on Tues and Friday with games on Sunday, paints every thursday, has music lessons every other saturday at 1pm, wants to audition and be the lead in Throughly Modern Millie....and has to be in bed by 8:30pm for school the next day--all at the same time!!  (You can do the same example for an adult).

But as an example, one recent musical production (that I did not direct) had the cast re-doing one scene 8 times because of scheduling conflicts.   We had one performer who was in 4 different shows while working full-time all simultaneously.  That performer did not put his best effort into our production, and I doubt he did in the 3 other shows.  The actors who were available resented having to re-do the scene over and over in order to accommodate so many conflicts. It nearly resulted in a dramatic implosion.

Whatever methodology you choose, I humbly suggest you be consistent and change between runs and not while in the production phase. 

As a final note, I have recently joined this forum, but love the different experiences and opinions that everyone has.

My way is never perfect, but a path.

-------------
S.G.

Date Posted: 3/30/11 at 7:10pm
 The last two shows I have done, both small cast, simple shows, we arranged rehearsal as we went to fit everyone's schedule and it worked wonderfully, only one rehearsal without full cast and that actor had let me know ahead of time. Methinks this approach would be more challenging with a large cast however.

Date Posted: 3/30/11 at 11:01pm
The musical, in particular, was tough.  My cast included varsity and JV volleyball players, cheerleaders, varsity soccer players, varsity and JV football players, marching band members...

One of our leads was a junior playing JV football.  He NEVER came to rehearsal if he had a game, even if that game was over at 7:30 and rehearsal went until 9.  I don't know if he was tied up by the coach or whatever, but my varsity volleyball girls got out of their games at 8, and were in my rehearsal by a quarter after... often still in uniform.  When I would ask him about it, he said he didn't get done in time to come to rehearsal.  When he was there, he was attentive and had a positive attitude, so I'm inclined to believe him; the time just doesn't make sense to me.

We're also very limited with the days we can practice.  Wednesdays are the unofficial "church night" for the school district, so I try to only infringe upon that once or twice in a run, usually only for production week.  Fridays are football games, which always ties up football players (JV and varsity both suit up) and cheerleaders, and all the band kids whenever the game is at home.  Saturdays are tough because the volleyball players have 3-4 tournaments on Saturdays.  Sundays are doable, but I try to protect Sundays, not only as church days, but as family time for my students and myself.  Thus, I'm left with Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.  Volleyball games still infringe on Thursdays, JV football is Monday, and soccer is Tuesday, but this is the best we can do.

When the Spring Play comes around, I have to deal with wrestling, basketball, and a bigger conflict among my actors: forensics.  Next year I may move the play to get out of forensics season- I had several rehearsals where ALL my leads were gone for a forensics meet... not fun.  In fact, with this show that just closed, it was Tuesday of production week before I had a full cast- it was the first time in three weeks that I wasn't missing anybody at all.  I called Saturday rehearsals, Wednesday rehearsals, Sunday rehearsals... and there was always somebody sick, out of town, or at a school function.

Now, I've thought about the idea of just varying the rehearsal times to match the availability of my cast, but I worry about asking young teenagers to remember a constantly changing schedule.  I know that they also struggle to keep me appraised of their own constantly changing schedule.

Date Posted: 3/31/11 at 12:33pm
It all sound familiar...and I feel your pain.  With my varying rehearsal, or with ANY rehearsal, I or my SM email/call/FB everybody the day before to remind them of the schedule. NOBODY can use the excues "I didn't know" I make darn sure they know!!

Date Posted: 11/09/11 at 9:13am
Reviving an old thread, we're just about to open our fall musical, Seussical (although with snow on the ground, it doesn't feel like fall).  I tried a schedule worked around the kids' conflicts.  Couple of things happened:

1) A lot of kids don't have a clue about their own schedules, especially weeks or months in advance.  I handed out a schedule for the first half of our rehearsal run then handed out a second based on where we were.  I based it completely around their games, work schedules, and other conflicts... and then things inevitably changed.  Even splitting it in half (5-6 weeks per schedule) wasn't enough to really get it covered, so I'd inevitably lose someone that I scheduled to be there, often on the ONLY TIME I was planning to block a simple scene.

2) It just worked out that it was tough to schedule around sports.  For example, the soccer team had Horton, Mr. Mayor, and one Bird Girl.  That meant as much as I hated it, I ran Whoville scenes when there was a soccer game.  Volleyball had JoJo, another Bird Girl, and several Whos, so we ran Jungle of Nool/Bird Girl scenes, and that last girl would just have to catch up.  I had two Wickersham brothers playing JV football; one being the brother of the Cat in the Hat, who was expected by his family to support his brother on the field, which means that I lost them Monday nights.

The end result is that a lot of people still missed when I scheduled "around" their conflicts, and we ended up running some scenes a half dozen times, just to still have people saying, "Am I in this scene?"

I'm doing this whole thing completely differently for the spring play, because I feel like I'm beating my head up against the wall.

Date Posted: 11/09/11 at 2:23pm
On a different but related topic- our local CT is doing "12 Angry Men" with all men.  I guess we decided we needed a challenge since we don't traditionally get a lot of males trying out, let alone adult men, but I digress (We also scheduled "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" to close the season... oy...).

The show goes up in early January, which means that its rehearsal schedule crosses both Christmas and Thanksgiving.  Due to this, they are rehearsing 9 1/2 weeks!  For a straight play!  The director emailed me personally to ask me to audition (saying the rehearsal schedule gives people "plenty of time to learn lines"), but I had to remind her I was coming off of a long and stressful musical which opens the same weekend she's auditioning, and climbing on board for another 9-10 weeks would not fare well on my mental health, physical health, or relationship with my wife and baby girl.  :-)

Anybody else take on the daunting task of putting up a show in January?  How do you handle the rehearsal schedule?

Posted By: avcastner
Date Posted: 11/12/12 at 8:07pm
I have to work around athletes all the time--usually OK, but the kids are VERY tired by week 3 from having to stay up really late doing homework and memorize lines, work on character, etc.

In the past, I have had 12-week rehearsal periods--forget the kids, I'm burned out by that time.  Parents usually start pulling kids out by week 8 (when it's really hard to replace them), because by that time their grades are slipping.

My suggestion would be doing Seussical Jr or something smaller.  You may even need to skip doing a musical this year if there are not enough talented musical actors available who do not have athletic commitments, etc.  I hate to put this pressure on the kids, and I've only had to do it a few times, but I sometimes have to make them make a choice--athletics or drama:  your grades can't survive both.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info