Print Page | Close Window

changing a playscript

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Producing Theater
Forum Name: Directing
Forum Discription: For questions about handling shows, actors, crew, board members, children ...or do we repeat ourselves?
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3248
Printed Date: 5/14/24 at 11:41am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: changing a playscript
Posted By: Kim L.
Subject: changing a playscript
Date Posted: 6/23/08 at 12:54pm
I hope I don't open a can of worms by asking this question or upset anyone. I am the backstage director for a small high school drama group. Our drama team is hoping to produce a musical next spring. In looking at the various musicals that are out there, we have discovered that many of the scripts and lyrics have content that is beyond our comfort zone for what is appropriate for middle/high school children. My director, who was a drama major in college, would like to change some lyrics and some of the script to fit our needs. She said she has seen it done numerous times when she was an actor on the stage. I looked up copyright laws and am concerned about doing this. The websites all clearly state that you are not to change anything without permission from the publishing company. Not only am I concerned about being held liable for breaking the law. But, I also feel it sets a poor example for the kids that "since everyone else is breaking the law, it is okay." So, my question to you experienced people is: what's the deal with copyright laws? I know it is against the law to alter scripts. Do people in the theatre world disregard copyright laws or honor them? Also, would another option be to contact the publishing company and ask permission to alter the lyrics/script? Is it hard to get publishers to agree to this? Any help would be apprecitated. And again, I do not mean to offend anyone I am just looking for answers.

-------------
Kim

Replies:
Posted By: Dondero
Date Posted: 6/23/08 at 1:15pm
Hi,

First, it's completely against the law.  And last, it's completely against the law.

That being said, I KNOW it happens all the time, just like I KNOW that shows are videotaped all the time, even though that's completely against the law, as well.  I'm tired of repeating that to everyone at my theatre.

I suggest that you take a look at the MTI website, where there are many shows which are redone to suit younger casts - Junior versions.  Also, try mostly any show written before 1960. 

It's all fun and games until someone calls the licensing agency and makes a report and the fines are levied and your company is barred from performing any of their shows for several years . . .

Dondero

Posted By: pdavis69
Date Posted: 6/24/08 at 8:51am
There are many people on-line here who will respond exactly as Dondero has with a doom and gloom "the law is the law" standard party line, and they are in truth correct.  However.....very seldom will you get pulled over for doing 67 in a 65 speed zone.  The same applies with these copyright laws.  First bit of advise, don't advertise that you are making changes.  There are people that just love to cause trouble, will google your name find out the school and call the licensing agencies.  There are possible sanctions if you get caught and changes made without permission could be reported.  There will be several responses coming mostly saying don't don't don't.  They will talk about the words of the playwrite being golden and un alterable and who are we to rewrite his/her thoughts. They will talk about "the law is the law".  Good luck to you and as far as changes go....swim at your own risk, there is no lifeguard on duty.

-------------
Patrick L. Davis
Fort Findlay Playhouse

Date Posted: 6/24/08 at 9:00am
It's not all about doom and gloom.  Part of it is about being honest, and teaching kids right from wrong.  And it IS different that doing 67 in a 65, and you know it.

The reason a play is under copywright isn't to be mean, or petty - it's to protect the financial interests of the owner of the piece.  So if you want to do a show but some of the language would be inappropriate for your cast or audience, or you want to cast a woman as the detective instead of a man, contact the licensing entity and ASK.  Most of the time, permission will be granted with no problem - and if it's not, well, maybe you should consider another show.

Dondero

Posted By: jaytee060
Date Posted: 6/24/08 at 10:28am
    I certainly understand your strict stand Dondero.   And I certainly cannot disagree with you from a legal point of view.  However it is also
most certain that many many directors change the verbage in play scripts
for any number of reason. 
   I can assure you that, with very few exceptions. most playwrights have no problem with you changing a godamn to a dammit.   I recently attended a playwrighting seminar at the Trinity Theatre in Providance, RI,  with Edward Albee.  His take on this is to "adapt his words to your surroundings".  He wasn't saying change his concept or his plot,  God forbid,  but he did say that he would rather have Martha say CRAP instead of F**K over you're theatre not doing Virginia Woolf at all.   
    I'm positive that many playwrights would echo his opinion.  ( David Mamet is the exception). 
    Also, I do wonder how changing a few words is jepordizing the financial interests of the owner of the piece.  Royalties are still being paid.  Everyone still gets their cut.
    All in all though, it is best to contact the playwrights agent or publisher to get permission.  Most of the time you will find that they are most accomadating within reason.

-------------
"REMEMBER ME IN LIGHT"

Date Posted: 6/24/08 at 10:51am
Originally posted by jaytee060

....I
   I can assure you that, with very few exceptions. most playwrights have no problem with you changing a godamn to a dammit.   I recently attended a playwrighting seminar at the Trinity Theatre in Providance, RI,  with Edward Albee.  His take on this is to "adapt his words to your surroundings".  He wasn't saying change his concept or his plot,  God forbid,  but he did say that he would rather have Martha say CRAP instead of F**K over you're theatre not doing Virginia Woolf at all.   
    I'm positive that many playwrights would echo his opinion.  ( David Mamet is the exception). 
    Also, I do wonder how changing a few words is jepordizing the financial interests of the owner of the piece.  Royalties are still being paid.  Everyone still gets their cut.
    All in all though, it is best to contact the playwrights agent or publisher to get permission.  Most of the time you will find that they are most accomadating within reason.

I completely agree, asking for permission is usually all that's needed (and beats all heck out of begging for forgiveness <g>!).

Changing a few words isn't going to hurt anyone financially, but it's the slippery slope mentality - if we can change a few words, how about if we cast this part as a man instead of a woman?  Who will it hurt?  Or how about since we're changing a few things, let's videotape it, as well?

It's all about intellectural property, the rights of the creator to have his creation protected in it's intended form, and the reality that once you go down the path of 'who's it going to hurt, what does it matter', you will make all sorts of compromises.  I think if the OP was asking for advice, we should give correct and honest advice, not 'oh, I'm sure nothing bad will happen'.  More than likely, nothing bad will happen, that's true.  But it's still wrong.

Dondero

Date Posted: 6/24/08 at 11:22am
No different than 67 in a 65 and changing a word.  There is a law and you are technically breaking it.  People do it because they can get away with it and right or wrong people get away with changing words, phrases, genders etc all the time.  As was said in my first post, the rule is very black and white: it should not be done.  My response is still (an apparently we all agree) although it is wrong you will most likely get away with it.  As far as teaching morality, right/wrong to kids I can see your point, however when a child looks at someone else's paper on a test it's cheating, when a business man does it it's called using your resourses and he gets a raise.  Oh well, off topic.  I'm in theatre to provide entertainment not teach morals ,sometimes the bad guys don't get it in the end in all the shows and the white hat doesn't always get the girl.

-------------
Patrick L. Davis
Fort Findlay Playhouse

Posted By: B-M-D
Date Posted: 6/24/08 at 11:40am
OMG here we go again!    There is a posting on this very matter.   I believe it's called "changing profanity."  As some of you know ad nauseum my day job involves copyright licensing, so I speak at least somewhat knowlegebly if not entirely expertly on the matter.

The bottom line is you can change NOTHING in the diaglog or lyrics without first obtaining the permission to do so.   The intellectual property is not yours and you are in violation of your perfomance licnese if you do and can be subject to fines, civil suit and general shame upon your family for seven generations.

If you can't obtain the permission to modify the content then simply don't do the show.   Your performance license is a privalage and not a 1st amendment right. 

-------------
BD

"Dying is easy, comedy is hard."

Date Posted: 6/24/08 at 12:42pm
It's OK I'm not all that proud of the last six generations anyway. 

By the way BMD, I knew this one would smoke you out.  The only question was how long it would take you.

-------------
Patrick L. Davis
Fort Findlay Playhouse

Date Posted: 6/24/08 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by pdavis69

It's OK I'm not all that proud of the last six generations anyway. 

By the way BMD, I knew this one would smoke you out.  The only question was how long it would take you.

LOLLOLLOL

-------------
BD

Date Posted: 6/24/08 at 8:08pm
In thinking about this topic your license for doing a show is much like renting a car from Avis.    Let's say you rent a Toyota Corolla.   Your rental agreement gives you the right to drive the car and you agree to reasonably take care of it while it's in your possession.   It doesn't allow you to paint a racing stripe down the middle or to remove the Toyota logo from the hood.   It's still a looks and runs like Toyota Corolla so why should Avis be upset?   I think the answer is painfully obvious. 

So why then when most of us wouldn't even think about doing that to a rental car do some of us think that intellectual property is deserving of less consideration?   The fact is that our intellectual property (even beyond that of "drama") is one of most the valuable assets that an individual or organization can posses.  

-------------
BD

Posted By: sconjott
Date Posted: 6/24/08 at 10:59pm

I am an Actor and Director. My wife is a writer. I can say for certain, if I were to produce one of her shows and tell her that, "the phrase in this one spot didn't work so we changed it". I would need a come-along to remove the script from my nostril... if she was in a good mood. Some lines, lyrics, even small words seem inconsequential but you try telling that to the person who may have thought about using the word "the" in a particular seen for 2 weeks that it didn't matter and doesn't change the show in the slightest. Maybe it doesn't... BUT that writer chose EACH of those words for a reason.

That being said... I am just as guilty as several other people when it comes to "editing" without permission. And I was just as wrong. I was too lazy too ask permission and I should not have done it. I understand "comfort zone" and I understand the urge to do the show you want. But, sometimes you can't get both.

Your director is quite right, people do it all the time. Everyone on here is entirely accurate. It does seem like doing 67 in a 65. It is illegal. It can get you into trouble. So, let me ask you... "What will it hurt to ask for permission?" It's possible you might find out not only is it OK, but that they actually have a children's version edited by the playwright.

The worst they can do is say "no".  If they do, at least you'll know.

-------------
There are NO small roles, only small actors...

Posted By: sconjott
Date Posted: 6/24/08 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by sconjott

Some lines, lyrics, even small words seem inconsequential but you try telling that to the person who may have thought about using the word "the" in a particular seen for 2 weeks that it didn't matter and doesn't change the show in the slightest.

"Scene" any good typos lately?
That's why she's the writer. Embarrassed

-------------
There are NO small roles, only small actors...

Posted By: MartyW
Date Posted: 6/25/08 at 8:19am
Originally posted by Kim L.

I hope I don't open a can of worms by asking this question or upset anyone.
Now you didn't believe this for a minute did you?  This one has been hashed and  rehased so many many times. 
1. Its wrong dont do it. 
2. It infringes on the authors artistic product.
3. it violates your contract with the leasor.
4. If you feel you will have trouble with the verbiage, concider not DOING the play.
5 Its done by many to make a show acceptable to the audience or update its datedness. This does not make it right.
6. Everyone knows this happens, including the author and the house.
7. But, should you feel the need to do this, THIS is not the place to talk about it, as many agents read this site and may well take action as is thier RESPONSIBILITY should they become aware of it.
8. As well as many who would LOVE to either tell you how wrong it is or even alert the publishing house as is there right.

-------------
Marty W

"Till next we trod the boards.."

Posted By: techiedirector
Date Posted: 6/30/08 at 8:32am
Although you cannot change anything without permission, with a lot of publishers, doing a play in the school setting comes with understanding.  I have never directed a kids play exactly exactly as it was written, and I've always been able to get permission.  Most of the time, my changes have been adding characters (very minor parts) or adding a made up song to a non-musical.  Call and talk to the customer service people when you order scripts.  Community groups that I've worked with have had more difficulty than I have in the school setting with this.  Its so hard to find the perfect play for an always changing number of kids that asking is really the only way to get a script perfect for that group.  Good luck!

Date Posted: 6/30/08 at 9:40am
Originally posted by techiedirector

Although you cannot change anything without permission, with a lot of publishers, doing a play in the school setting comes with understanding.  I have never directed a kids play exactly exactly as it was written, and I've always been able to get permission.  Most of the time, my changes have been adding characters (very minor parts) or adding a made up song to a non-musical.  Call and talk to the customer service people when you order scripts.  Community groups that I've worked with have had more difficulty than I have in the school setting with this.  Its so hard to find the perfect play for an always changing number of kids that asking is really the only way to get a script perfect for that group.  Good luck!

Wasn't quite sure where you were going with this at first but very good advice.   Asking, usually nicely, and explaining the circumstances will sometimes get you the results you're after.   I'd only add that once you've gotten the verbal permission or agreement to any changes that you get it in writing from the publisher, just to avoid any misunderstanding or mis-interpretation by them.

-------------
BD

Posted By: doublezero420
Date Posted: 6/30/08 at 5:22pm
So, when an actor - on-stage during a performance - forgets a line and another actor steps in to help get everyone back on track, does that constitute changing the show?

If so, should we just let the looooong silence go onstage and kill the pacing of the show until the actor finally remembers the line (exactly right)?  

If not, why not?  It seems to me no one could prove one way or the other that it was planned or not.

-------------
aaron

“One of my chief regrets during my years in the theater is that I could not sit in the audience and watch me” -John Barrymore

Date Posted: 7/01/08 at 9:38am
Originally posted by doublezero420

So, when an actor - on-stage during a performance - forgets a line and another actor steps in to help get everyone back on track, does that constitute changing the show?

If so, should we just let the looooong silence go onstage and kill the pacing of the show until the actor finally remembers the line (exactly right)?  

If not, why not?  It seems to me no one could prove one way or the other that it was planned or not.

Nope that does not constitute changing a show or dialog.   That's someting that inevitably will happen during the course of a show.   There is no intent to modify the script.    No, what we've all been talking about in this post and others is the deliberate intention of changing, dialog, lyrics, gender, etc. 

And yes before anyone "discovers" the bright idea of just happening to forget the dialog in a show to suite the situation, we all know that it happens.  And no, it's not right and it shouldn't be done. 

So what's the next "yeah but what if...." question that anyone can possibly come up with for this subject.    I thought I left that course of logic after my daughter turned 10.Smile

-------------
BD

Posted By: jayzehr
Date Posted: 8/18/08 at 4:21pm
This is interesting. I just got my copy of Every Christmas Story Ever Told (And Then Some!) from Playscripts, Inc. and it contains the following production notes:

"The script is peppered throughout with topical references and a few local/theatre specific references, which by the time your production roles around might be as topical as the Chia Pet, so feel free to update them (for the love of God please update them). Likewise, think of the script as an all-cotton sweatshirt: stretch it to fit the particular quirks and talents of your cast, crew and audience."

However, I'm somewhat curious about whether or not the playwrights have legal permission for all the riffs on Christmas television specials including snatches of songs. Are you allowed certain latitude with parody in this case?

Date Posted: 8/19/08 at 9:50am
Originally posted by jayzehr

However, I'm somewhat curious about whether or not the playwrights have legal permission for all the riffs on Christmas television specials including snatches of songs. Are you allowed certain latitude with parody in this case?

You're essentially correct.   In copyright law parody and satire is usually viewed as fair use and is given a liberal degree of latitude in creative works.   The logic being that it is unlikely to be mistaken for the original work and therefore unlikey to have any effect on the potential market for or value of the copyright protected work.

-------------
BD

Posted By: skoehler
Date Posted: 8/19/08 at 11:51am
There are stories floating around of several well known playwrights shutting down High School and Community Theatre productions based on changing one "profane" word, Damn to darn, etc.  Is the playwright being a bit of a prick, sure, is that his right? yes. 
The fact is, if you chance something and get caught and get served with a cease and desist, now what do you tell your high school students?  "Sorry I broke the law and got caught, no show tonight"?

nuff said.

I sat in on a forum where someone asked if they had legal right to cut smoking and references to smoking from a script because of local smoking bans.  They were pretty sure they could, the answer was simple, it is not a right to do any show you want, you have to choose shows based on what you feel is appropriate and make changes only with permission.

Giving High School kids the message that "It's okay to break this law, everyone else is doing it" is reprehensible.  They get that message enough, do we really need their teachers reinforcing it?

-------------
Steven Koehler
Managing Director
Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette
www.lafayettecivic.org

Posted By: jayzehr
Date Posted: 8/19/08 at 6:18pm
Just for the record, I wasn't advocating changing a script without permission. This has been a frequent and enduring topic here and I thought it was of interest that these playwrights were encouraging altering their script.

Date Posted: 8/22/08 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by jayzehr

Just for the record, I wasn't advocating changing a script without permission. This has been a frequent and enduring topic here and I thought it was of interest that these playwrights were encouraging altering their script.

If you're given that option by the playwright (usually somewhere within the script) to be able to make certain changes then by all means take advantage of that.

-------------
BD

Posted By: Nyria
Date Posted: 10/09/08 at 12:35pm
Sorry - I should have read all this but I'm lazy ;)   So someone might have said this...
You can always contact the playwright (or their agent) and ask. They are humans and you can talk to them. :P  
Some are OK with it (not many - but some)

-------------
NYRIA

Date Posted: 10/09/08 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Nyria

Sorry - I should have read all this but I'm lazy ;)   So someone might have said this...
You can always contact the playwright (or their agent) and ask. They are humans and you can talk to them. :P  
Some are OK with it (not many - but some)

Very true!  But get it in writing of they say yes.Smile

-------------
BD

Posted By: Theatrefolk
Date Posted: 10/29/08 at 1:18pm
As a playwright let me tell you I love the rental car example. It's the one I use with students. And they certainly do learn by example. If their teacher willy-nilly changes a script they have no idea it's 'wrong.' And then they go and do it.

Always ask. You never know. There's lots of reasons why I'll allow changes. But, do be prepared to hear 'no.' I'm amazed how many directors are dead sure I'm going to agree to something.......Smile

Lindsay

-------------
Theatrefolk: Scripts for High Schools, Middle Schools, and Elementary Schools
http://www.theatrefolk.com - http://www.theatrefolk.com

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info