Print Page | Close Window

Actor missed rehearsal 3 days before opening..

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Producing Theater
Forum Name: Directing
Forum Discription: For questions about handling shows, actors, crew, board members, children ...or do we repeat ourselves?
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2778
Printed Date: 4/29/24 at 1:35am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Actor missed rehearsal 3 days before opening..
Posted By: jayzehr
Subject: Actor missed rehearsal 3 days before opening..
Date Posted: 10/29/07 at 3:40pm
Just looking for some moral support I guess. We open Wed. and last night one of the actors didn't show and didn't call. (This wasn't the first problem we'd had with him in this regard.) We had the option of having one of the other actors double up; we waited an hour and then had the other actor play the part. He says he can get the lines down. The cast and director want to replace the original actor because they don't trust him to be there. He finally returned my call this afternoon (I'm the producer) I had even called the hospital. I told him our decision and of course he was upset and arguing with me. He said he overslept, he was sorry and that he would be there for the show. I said that didn't matter at this point, I wasn't making a moral judgement but that he had missed an important rehearsal 72 hours before opening, the cast and crew didn't trust him to be there and that he was out of the show and that the decision had been made. He hung up on me at that point and has since left a message with the director. How would everyone else have handled this? We certainly have the right to replace him, don't we? Just feeling really lousy right now, I never had to do anything like this before.

Replies:
Posted By: tristanrobin
Date Posted: 10/29/07 at 5:32pm
The same thing happened to me with my leading actor in a production of "Bus Stop" a few years ago.

I made my decision to grit my teeth and keep him - it's not easy to find a good-lookin' six-foot-tall cowboy who can act! Wink

But, had I replaced him, I would have felt completely justified - as should  you.

Posted By: DWolfman
Date Posted: 10/29/07 at 5:49pm
You have my sympathy and empathy.  It is a very hard call to make.

I've had to let cast members go before (including a lead in one and a member of an ensemble cast of four in another).  Their problem wasn't absence of body, but absence of mind: they couldn't remember a line to save their lives, much less save the show.  The casts of both were happy to see them go and the shows went very well without them, but the decision-maker always has it rough (however I was the director in both of those instances and I feel that is where the responsibility and duty of dismissal should lie).

Wishing you the best,
DW

-------------
Even a man who is pure of heart...

Posted By: biggertigger
Date Posted: 10/29/07 at 9:28pm

Just from what you have written, I would have made the same decision.  Granted, mistakes happen, but the loss of credibility happened when he was contacted by you and then failed to return that call until the next day.  Cut your losses and hope that if he re-auditions he learns what being commited to a show is.

I do remember that an actor (who played various parts in a musical) over slept during a performance.  When he failed to show up for 7 o'clock call, we called him many times.  We finally had to do the first act without him trying to cover his parts as best as possible.  He finally arrived just before act II started. 

So don't sweat that you had to replace him.  I am sure that his excuse doesn't hold much weight. 

-------------
The two greatest days in a theater persons life, the day you start a new show and the day the damn thing closes.

Posted By: JoeMc
Date Posted: 10/29/07 at 11:05pm
You did the only thing left in the shows interest.
Just send a comp & a thankyou note, which might be better than have an actor scorned sutuation.
But I know I would have bounced him out as well!
He is only a warm prop, now if he was a techie - I may have been more considerate?
By you being worried enough for his welfare, by contacting the hospital. You have acted above & beyond your responsibility to him. Hopefully he might hitch his socks up in future  &  not just skive off, because he felt  sleepy, arr diddums the poor little  wally! Sleepy

Posted By: POB14
Date Posted: 10/30/07 at 4:26pm
You bet you had the right to replace him.  In fact, you had the duty to do so, in the best interests of the show.   Since the cast and crew lost confidence in him, you really had no choice.  As Joe says above, "arr diddums the poor little wally!"  I don't really know what that means, but it sounds like what I'm thinking! LOL

Good luck with the show!

-------------
POB
Old Bugger, Curmudgeon, and Antisocial B**tard

Posted By: Kibitzer
Date Posted: 10/30/07 at 11:46pm
I gotta tell ya, folks, I'm very uncomfortable - always have been uncomfortable - with how quick so many community theatre people are with the ax!  I'm not so sure this guy should have been canned; it depends on many factors. 

I have a saying, "There are many reasons why community theatre actors can be fired; lack of talent is not one of them."  Too often, directors make casting mistakes and want to undo them.  Sorry.  The less talented individual you cast in that role should not be punished for your error.

On the surface, missing rehearsals on a regular basis is - or can be - one of the reasons to replace an actor.  But in this case in particular, it was stated there had been problems with the actor's attendance before.  If he had absentee problems in previous shows and this problem was known to the director (if it wasn't, it should have been), then this is a time when I would invoke the "you knew the risk, you cast him, now you deal with it".  But let's suppose that the problem only existed for this show; when the problem happened previously, was it discussed with him?  Was he given any warning that there would be such consequences if he continued missing rehearsals?  If he was "allowed" to get away with missing rehearsals and little to nothing discussed with him about it, I suggest that the right to replace him was forfeited. 

The fact of the matter is that you had a strategy in place in case he missed a show.  That was an important step to take.  With that in place, you had a "safety net" for the run of the show. 

So, I'm sorry if I didn't make you feel better about the decision that was made, but I do believe that replacing an actor is a draconian measure to take for any show - especially one that is within 72 hours of opening. 

But something else bothers me a bit about your story.  Why did you do the firing?  It seems to me if that was to happen, that ought to be part of the director's job - or at the very least, both you and director. 

-------------
"Security is a kind of death." - Tennessee Williams

Posted By: Nanette
Date Posted: 10/31/07 at 6:36am
I've never replaced an actor, but I have called in another actor to learn lines/blocking at a final dress rehearsal when an actor didn't show ... just in case.  (I don't cast understudies, but I always have someone in mind as an understudy in case someone gets sick or doesn't show.)

-------------
In a world of margarine, be butter!

Date Posted: 10/31/07 at 9:21am
On the face of the post & situation of him over sleeping for so long, maybe he needs to visit a quack or cut down on burning the candle at both ends. Well at least think up a more plauseable excuse. As I doubt he was being honest about the situation.
I gather his phone was working or he could have at least got a call in to someone?
I assume from the post that it was obviously discussed betwen the director & producer, to have another actor double up & prepared to do the role.
I think I may have reconsidered if there was a genuine reason, like someone ran over his pet, his car broke down, or his 147th  cousin twice removed had just been gaoled & he went assurity in  orginising the bail.
I realise the most important & valued  reuseable resource in amdram are it's  people & that they should never be used 'n abused.
But being as hard as nails & twice as soft as wet clarts, I may have offered him another  place in the production, like handing out programmes or another task. Untill he proves him self to be responsible - much the same as I would catching a bod with thier hand in the till the first time.
But he would have lost his part unless he could show just cause.

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
"Hear the light & see the sound!
TOI TOI CHOOKAS
{may you always play to a full house!}

Posted By: MartyW
Date Posted: 10/31/07 at 10:00am

In many CT's in our area, the Producer gets to be the heavy in cases like this, so that, to me, is not a problem...

Second, I'm betting this wasn't the first time this guy was late, missing or generally not present in mind... True?

That it waited to this close to opening is problematic at the least for you, your cast and crew.. But it CAN happen that late in the game and I have a couple of examples.

I had a lead, and I mean lead as in the show is almost all about him... He disapeared from the radar screen for three days! and this was about two weeks out on a major musical opening. (granted not as close as yours, but still) Come to find out, he had had a little run in with the local constabulary and was currently thier guest...  This wasn't his first "miss" for me and come to find out later (as is always the case) far from his first miss for others who had cast him.. I did what any good director would do.... PANIC... Not really, but we did turn the town over looking for him and put a couple of "senarios" in motion if we had to replace him (including using a guy a knew who had done the part the year before)  End of this story was, we did not have to replace him and it all came together (as it most often does) but the stress was a bit more than we needed.

The other case, I was the actor asked to step in.  We had just finished a run of "Arsenic and Old Lace" and a week later I got a call from a theater about 25 miles away that was a week and a half away from going up.  It seems thier Mortimer didn't know half of his lines and knew none of his blocking..  And as its a major role for show continuity and story progression, no other cast member had been able to fully develope thier character or pacing..  They asked if I would step in.  As I had just finished two months of rehearsal and eight performances I had Mortimer pretty well down.. So I said, what the heck yes..  Dangers: When I got there I discovered that thier set was completely opposite of ours. Thier Elaine took me by the arm and started leading me through the first scene.. After a while I stopped and asked the director had they really blocked the entire scene with the two characters arm in arm throughout.. It seems that the pervious mortimer was actually being led to his marks... in between his calls for "Line Damn it" pacing was extreemly slow..
The director for my first version is a stickler for pacing.  She likes things to move at almost a frantic pace. I lost 20 lbs just rehearsing for the part... Needless to say, when I started moving on my own and delivering the lines at speed and without the need of the prompter, things started really moving... three actors had to appologize for missing entrances, because they were use to having ten or twelve minutes more till thier next entrance with the old mortimer..  I asked the director if I could just observe the blocking of the other characters and attempt to engage or counter as I saw appropriate and that if I was off of what they wanted they could just tell me that rather than try and block me into every scene. They agreed and it worked out great... When it came to the moment when Mortimer walks across the stage to kiss Elaine, I found this not to be a chore because I thought she was quite attractive.  I took her in my arms as it had been blocked in the previous production and I kissed her... All of a sudden she pulled away yelling "wait a minute, Wait a minute..."  I stopped and looked at the director and asked, "What, he dosn't kiss her here?" Elaine said, "no it was fine, its just going to fast.." The directors smiled and said, "We have a show.."   I got a lot of enjoyment out of that production, not the least of which at the end of the show, Mortimer goes off to marry Elaine... Well my Elaine and I have just celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary and our 7th annaversary of that first kiss....
Not that ALL of that is germain, but I love a chance to tell that story..

Bottom line is, you did what was right for your production, never a reason to appoligize for that...

-------------
Marty W

"Till next we trod the boards.."

Posted By: Linda S
Date Posted: 10/31/07 at 10:27am
I think the the most telling thing you said was "This wasn't the first problem we'd had with him in this regard." The problem is that you don't trust him, not that he was late. I wouldn't let someone go because they missed a rehearsal, I would if I felt I couldn't rely them. It is not fair to anyone. All of us who have done this for any length of time have had to live with our casting errors, or take deep breath and make decision to let someone go. I am impressed when people do what they say they are going to do.  I would much rather work with someone who will be on time, learn their lines, be at rehearsal to rehearse and be part of the team. I can do far more with that type of performer then with someone who may be more talented or have more experience, but is a loose cannon. We are asked all the time why directors go with a known performer. This is why. I really like a certain percentage of the known factor to be part of the cast. Anyway, I have my own little casting error to deal with right now. Lovely girl. No one, including her, have any idea what she is going to do or say next. I am now completely gray!
Linda

Date Posted: 11/01/07 at 4:07am
A great story MartyW, It would be a good talking piont for your punters, if you framed it & hang it up in the foyer of the theatre.
[It might be an idea to laminate it though, to protect it from the rainy season]
I only come sort of close to that, in as I married my wife on the set of 'Man for all seasons'. that I designed at the old Patch Theatre in Perth, which Burnt down mysteriously a while later.
I know it was not an omen!
"Wi bin t'gevver naw fur fawty yeurs
n't ayn't seem aday t'long"

Who said theatre marriages don't last?
{On topic}
Kibitzer g'donya.
  A lot of food for thought in your post - I will have to check out the mirror, from know on!Ouch

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
"Hear the light & see the sound!
TOI TOI CHOOKAS
{may you always play to a full house!}

Posted By: jayzehr
Date Posted: 11/01/07 at 2:25pm
Well, we're not very quick with ax. This is the first time I've been involved with anything like this. As far as the director being responsible for doing the dirty work, he was planning to but I jumped in and took over as he was somewhat of a "guest" director for us. He did wind up communicating with the actor about the issue. As for wanting to change casting decisions, there was none of that, he was doing fine. As for absenteeism in other shows, we had no knowledge of that and I'm not sure how we would, no one now in our community theater had any experience with him. I suppose we could start asking for phone numbers of directors of shows auditionees have been in before and call them before casting. Is that actually something people do? And going off on a tangent here, this is why directors tend to cast people they know and groups get the reputation of being snobbish.
And as to when the problem happened earlier, it was discussed with him. But in thinking about it, I'm not sure we forfeit the right to deal with the situation even if it hadn't. In my book there's a big difference between blowing off a reherasal with three weeks to go and with three days to go.

Posted By: drose
Date Posted: 11/01/07 at 7:18pm
For me the bottom line is:  what is the best for the show?  Actors need to know that they can rely on the director to put the show first.  I tell my actors that I want them to have the very best show they possibly can and that means my decisions are designed to do just that.  I'm not showcasing actors, I'm showcasing characters and my choices will reflect what is best for the show (this obviously includes taking into consideration the abilities of said actors as well as respecting their personal sensibilities)  And if one person is jeopardizing the production (by word or deed), or compromising the ability of the rest of the cast to do their job to the best of their ability (by gossipmongering, creating problems or destroying trust) then I will do what needs to be done, and if that includes replacing an actor, then I will replace (and have replaced) an actor.  It's never easy, but sometimes it's the only way.  I'm sorry you had to do it, but if you felt you needed to, then it was the right decision.

Posted By: GoldCanyonLady
Date Posted: 11/04/07 at 9:03am
Last year I fired an actor just 3 weeks before opening. He had been unhappy about the small role I gave him from day one. The play was The Curious Savage and he was perfect for the judge, but he wanted to be a star. He is not the best actor in town but he had done well for me before (when he had a bigger role). So from the beginning, he either came late, or called and said he couldn't make rehearsal. I had told him that I needed him there. And they are given their rehearsal schedule 8 months ahead of time (we only do one play a year in a senior community so they get scripts and rehearsal schedule before they go north for the summer). I felt there was no excuse for him to schedule other things on a rehearsal date and I knew him well enough that he was trying to punish the cast for having such a small role. When the last straw came, I let him go. With no notice, I asked the sound man to do the part and he did a great job. 

-------------
Barb Hofmeister,
MountainBrook Village Players, Gold Canyon, Arizona.

Posted By: whitebat
Date Posted: 11/26/07 at 12:20am
When I was in HS, our no-show actor got dropped, since the play was double cast.  Another play, we had an actor dropped for "academically ineligible".  CT, we had an actor who was very unreliable, missed rehearsals with no notice, botched lines, etc.  Evidently the directors were so desperate for males, they cast him in the next show as well.  I was playing a bit part, pulling curtains, etc.  I went ahead and memorized his lines, just in case.  Not having understudies puts a burden on the other actors, especially when one person is unreliable.  I think that's part of why the HS likes to double cast.  Of course it would be hard when you are having trouble filling the parts once.  Our next show I will talk to the director(s) about having a prompter.  If the prompter is ready to understudy a part, and has no responsibility other than prompting, it might put a little pressure on the actor if they know they can be replaced.

Posted By: TonyDi
Date Posted: 11/26/07 at 10:29am
One of the few times in the 18 years I've been directing shows that I had to fire someone was during FOREVER PLAID. We had a guy who was a good singer, a good actor, but who I had worked with before and he ALWAYS thought he was God's gift to whatever production he ever worked on. I did Sweeney Todd with this guy once and he was ANTHONY in that show....talk about FUNNY STILTED OVERACTING like you've never seen.  His delivery sounded like a computer generated voice. Hilarioius.  Anyway, for PLAID, he didn't read music - something he never indicated.  All he wanted to do was to learn it by rote - something I don't have a problem with but he couldn't even recognize the notes by name.  So if I said to him to sing an A in a four part thing - he didn't even now where that was - yet he was a guitar player, a piano wanna-be player and a singer - but had NO clue as to CDEFGABC or anywhere in the mix.  He became very vetchy about EVERYTHING and since I was music director as well - I finally had to tell him to take a hike - and will NEVER work with him again.

Then when I was directing OVER THE RIVER AND THROUGH THE WOODS for a local CT, I CAST a guy who was set to play one of the roles, gave EVERYONE involved the heads up as to the schedule EVEN BEFORE THEY WERE CAST and told them to be SURE to make conflicts known on audition forms.  HE had one or two that I was easily able to accommodate. THEN when we had read through, after he was cast, he handed me this business of numerous other conflicts that he simply couldn't show up to rehearsal as a result of.  I told him he was given every opportunity to let me know well ahead of time. He was adamant that he'd NOT be there for those numerous CRUCIAL rehearsals.  I finally told him that if he couldn't be there for those then he wouldn't be there for any of it and that he was fired.

There have been other horror stories in the CT I'd worked at for like 18 years.  Once we had an actor doing a show, and one night the POLICE showed up to arrest him for MURDER!!  SOMEHOW, they talked the police into letting him finish the show that night and then had to replace him later.  Then during the OPENING night of another musical, one of the actresses stopped before coming to the theater to get some pantyhose, got tired of waiting in line so she shoplifted the pantyhose, GOT CAUGHT, and the show was delayed 30 minutes while the director went and pleaded that they allow her to go and he'd be responsible for her showing up to answer the charge of shoplifting - which she did, paid the fine and the show ran smoothly thereafter.  CRAZY things that go on in CT or in general that make directors want or NEED to pull out their hair.

TonyDi

-------------
"Almost famous"

Posted By: pdavis69
Date Posted: 11/26/07 at 1:16pm
We had the opposite happen in our rendition of Guys and Dolls.  Our Harry the Horse was a member of the local SWAT team and missed half a show being at a hostage incident.  Some creative line rewrites covered his line until he arrived still in full riot gear.  He was able to change into his zoot suit before being on stage. 

We had another actor end up in the hospital the day before the show opened and missed final dress and the first two performances.  We were doing Dancing at Lugnaghsah (I know I mispelled it)  and the narrator/adult son fell ill.  I had been the set designer/builder and the board rep to the show.  The director asked me to step in and fill the role until our actor could get healthy.  I took over that night for dress rehearsal and the first two performances.  It was interesting, the first time I actually saw the second act was when we performed it in front of an audience for dress rehearsal.  Luckily the character had a scrap book he carried and I could keep my script in there.  I had to rely on the lighting ladies to tell me when to leave the stage.  Good thing they liked me.  I hope I never have to do that again.

-------------
Patrick L. Davis
Fort Findlay Playhouse

Posted By: JaneGwen
Date Posted: 12/25/07 at 1:45pm
I am directing Peter Pan and the cast has been told under no uncertain terms that they must all be present at tech week. There is one exception of an actor that wrote on her audition form of a conflict hence we were aware of the conflict when we cast her. This is an extremely tech heavy show with the flying etc, so it is imperative they be there. One of my leads wants to celebrate his birthday in NYC during tech, I told him it was his choice but I would recast him if he didn't show. It will break my heart, cause he is a great kid, but I am adamant that they be there and this is what they signed on for when they signed their contracts. Some may consider it harsh, but I feel that it is the best for the cast and crew.

Posted By: magicguy
Date Posted: 12/25/07 at 9:04pm
Our theatre group has all cast and crew members sign a guidelines form.  One of the items state that any cast or crew member that misses a rehearsal or performance is subject to removal from the production.  It's not that we automatically do this, but if they miss two rehearsals without notice, they are replaced.  We make sure that we have understudies for all the major parts and with any extras, can replace anyone.  In situations where we had to replace an actor, the rest of the cast gets the message and is at reheasral on time and always calls if they can't be there.

Posted By: MacThespian
Date Posted: 3/05/08 at 11:44pm
It's a tough call. I had to replace the lead in Hedda Gabler two weeks before it opened. There were many reasons--he hadn't learned his lines, he hadn't learned his blocking, he refused to do what my A/D asked him when I wasn't able to attend a rehearsal, he cursed at the female lead while onstage in rehearsals.
Actually, I told him that if he didn't have his lines down by a specific rehearsal, and he didn't do them properly, he would be fired. I didn't even go into some of the other things. At that rehearsal, he got all the words right--but it was a speed read. I fired him right after it. I didn't like doing it, but I felt I had no choice.
On the other hand, we were about halfway through rehearsal for a different show when one of the major supporting actresses came to me and said that she knew she wasn't doing well, and offered to drop out of the show. What made it difficult for me is that my wife had auditioned for the part, and the casting committee had not chosen her for the role. But I felt that in community theatre, you do the best with the people who are cast unless you get put into an untenable position. I told the woman who offered to drop out that I did not want her to leave the show. Even though I felt my wife could have done it better, I felt an obligation to the woman who was originally cast.

Posted By: purplegirl
Date Posted: 3/06/08 at 2:48pm
I had an actor last year who I should never have cast but she was a perfect fit for the role - I needed someone who looked a lot like one of the principle characters - both characters were claiming to be the long lost daughter and only heir of the "deceased", and they had to look similar enough to pass for the same person.  This actor missed more than 30% of the rehearsals, showed up late and left early when she did attend, and had a chip on her shoulder the whole time because she felt she "deserved" the larger role.  The play ran through two weekends, and the first week went ok - then she showed up for the second weekend of performances with a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT HAIRCUT AND COLOR!!!  Shocked  She now looked NOTHING like the other actor, so it made no sense that they could be mistaken for each other.  At that point, of course, I couldn't fire her, but did I want to?  You bet I did.  And, I won't be casting her in future productions.  It is not worth the headache of continually not knowing if they will show up, when, etc.  Too stressful.   File this under "lessons learned". 

-------------
It's not about you - it's about the story.

Posted By: magicguy
Date Posted: 3/06/08 at 3:08pm

Our theatre groups gets at least twice the number of people at auditions than we need.  This allows us to cast extras in crowd scenes or put some people on a "waiting list".  This is so we can be strict about lateness and missed rehearsals and able to replace people.  If some one is late or misses a rehearsal, we give them a verbal warning.  The second offense is either they are given a smaller part or removed from the production.  All this is explained in our guidlines that everyone signs.  Parents sign for minor actors.  We are fairly strict about this.  If an actor misses a rehearsal or is late, but they have called to let us know, we usually accept this.  Because of this practice, we seldom have people who are late or miss rehearsals without notice.  We could not do this if we had a lot smaller turn out at audtions.

-------------

An actor is a sculptor who carves in snow. - Lawrence Barrett

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info