Forum Discription: Questions about fundraising and promotion
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1952
Printed Date: 4/29/24 at 11:01am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: directors stipend
Posted By: sramnesia
Subject: directors stipend
Date Posted: 7/31/06 at 3:17pm
We are a community theater in NW Iowa and have been giving our directors a gratuitiy(not a salary).  We would like to re vamp our finances and wonder what other groups do for their directors.  Do you pay a musical director more than a straight play(we do now), do you pay other tech people? How much do you pay these individuals?  Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Replies:
Posted By: Mike Polo
Date Posted: 7/31/06 at 3:53pm

All our staff positions are strictly volunteer with the exception of a music director. We don't do musicals very often (our summer fundraiser is the only thing regularly on the schedule), and therefore don't have those skills within the group. However, we have been very successful otherwise with using (qualified) volunteers for directing shows.

-------------
Mike Polo
Community Theater Green Room
http://www.communitytheater.org
http://www.twitter.com/CTGreenRoom">

Posted By: JoeMc
Date Posted: 8/01/06 at 9:29am
  We don?t pay anyone & these days, since the advent of emails, not even out of pocket expenses for phone calls.
Some other groups did pay an honorarium or stipends to directors years ago, but not these days.
Over all we have never perpetuated this niche income area for directors, except similar to Mike. for the odd MD on rare occasions.
Every group I know of here, won?t pay out for any production staff & if any thing is paid, this might be in the form of a perdium that may be caused by the production only.
But there again this probably won?t help you there, as we are but a pimple on the backside of the theatre world!

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
"Hear the light & see the sound!
TOI TOI CHOOKAS
{may you always play to a full house!}

Posted By: MartyW
Date Posted: 8/03/06 at 4:08pm

God, I wish we could say that we don't pay, but we do.

Musical:  Director $400, Music Director $400, Producer $400, Choreographer $200, Rehearsal Pianist $ 250, Orchestra $175 each (limit 10)

Straight Show: Director $300, Producer $300

We are even having talks about starting to give a stipend to the primary set builder and set dresser.

It never ends...

-------------
Marty W

"Till next we trod the boards.."

Posted By: castMe
Date Posted: 8/03/06 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by MartyW

God, I wish we could say that we don't pay, but we do.

God, I wish I could say I work in Marty's theater and get paid for the 100-150 hours I put in while directing a show, but I don't.

-------------
Investigate. Imagine. Choose.

Posted By: lebraatt
Date Posted: 8/22/06 at 1:14pm
Marty W -- Thanks for posting this, as I have been asked to direct for "pay" and have no idea what to ask for, as I have always "volunteered" my services.  This gives at least a ball park to begin with.

Posted By: RichardTYoung
Date Posted: 11/01/06 at 12:18am

In our summer rep we pay almost all the back stage and house staff.  It's an honorarium and we consider it "contracted services" so we are not an "employer."  Our annual budget for a musical, a senior citizen dinner theater and a ballet is about 30 grand a year.  We are 501 c 3 and make enoungh now that we have to file a tax return. 

I think there are some quality issues that make it worth our while to "pay" the key people.   Musicians especially are worth paying a bit for.

-------------
Live well, be safe
Richard T. Young

Posted By: VPA1
Date Posted: 11/23/06 at 2:31am
Well, it's a little more expensive up here in the far north, but here goes:
director $500
chief carpenter $400
set dresser $200
set director $200
light designer $200
sound designer $100
photographer $100
stage manager $150
public relations $150
apprentice director $100
light board operator $75
sound board operator $75

Most of us regard these stipends as gas money. Musicians are another
category, however, we pay them real money as they are nearly impossible
to get otherwise.   Currently about $30/show.

Posted By: JShieldsIowa
Date Posted: 11/23/06 at 8:27am

I am certainly doing theatre in the wrong place! 

I applaud the groups that can pay their production staff.  We don't get paid stipends here due to budget restrictions.  We do occasionally budget in some money for ochestra members, but that is rare.  Usually everyone is volunteer.  It makes it really tough to get really good musicians as they are able to get paying gigs and can't committ for 2-3 weeks worth of performances. 

Posted By: red diva
Date Posted: 11/25/06 at 6:59pm

I belong to the same theatre as MartyW, and I think there's a lesson to be learned from our experience.  You may have noted that he said "we are even having talks about starting to give a stipend to the primary set builder and set dresser". 

THESE ARE VOLUNTEER THEATRES, FOLKS!!!!

30 years ago, our theatre was bullied into giving a director's stipend in order to "attract better directors".  Well, the directors that we attracted were the same people that had been directing for free all along (with a few minor and fleeting exceptions throughout the years.).  My objection to doing so at that time was this:  where will it all stop?  I think that if you look at Marty's listing of all who are "paid" now (or want to be paid in the near future), you'll see that it doesn't stop!!  And, in the minds of the other people that give an equal amount of time and effort to the productions, why should it stop?  Why shouldn't they be paid, too? 

At the risk of being boring and repetitive, THIS IS VOLUNTEER THEATRE, FOLKS!  We are doing it, ostensibly, for the love of it and, frankly, all the bickering that seems to evolve over who is going to be paid and how much they are going to be paid really takes away from the pleasure of participating.

I know the question that is going to be asked by someone is "what if you can't get someone to do it without being paid?"  Well, how about taking some time and effort to train new people that could then take on the position?  How about sending people to workshops, or studying theatrecraft books?  How about reaching out to others in the community that have the necessary skills, but who might not be involved strictly (or at all) in theatre?  Local shop teachers, art teachers, artists, hairdressers - professionals, or even those that use those skills strictly as an avocation!  They might be tickled to be asked and, in fact, have been pleased in the instances that I have experienced!  They might even stick around and become valued members of your theatre! How about calling on people that used to be involved in your theatre in years past but, for whatever reason, have had to stop participating?  They might be available now and just need that little nudge to become active again.  How about calling on people that participate in other theatres in your area, if you are in a place that has a number of theatres in existance?

Don't let yourselves be bullied into paying just because "no-one else can do my job"....no-one is indispensible, even though they may try to make you think that they are.  Don't be snookered into believing that.  There are always other options. 

If you don't pay people now but are thinking about doing so, you might want to learn a lesson that we learned the hard way.....don't open Pandora's cash box.  There are other ways to have a successful theatre.  Think creatively.....after all, aren't us theatre folks supposed to be creative?

(Marty:  you knew this one would smoke me out of the woodwork, didn't you.)

-------------
"I've worked long and hard to earn the right to be called Diva!"

Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 11/25/06 at 11:30pm
G?donya RD!
Honestly having a list of defined payments & the exception of receiving an amount. Is not what we should be about!
No matter how the payment is worded, the amount is of a  pecuniary interest in the expectation of being paid an exact dollar value for services rendered.  .
  We are amateurs [volunteers] who are drawn from the community & promoted to produce theatre. In whatever form each individual wishes to be involved & supported.
Surely our aims & objectives are to nurture from within & utilise our own membership, in preference to offering bait to entice exponents to do ?IT?.
A member who is in a position that precludes others from recieving the same stipend/payment for doing ?it?. Is  in my view an act kin to solicitation.
Travelling & out of pocket expenses in being a member. Is an individual choice that each member makes on joining the group.
As RD posted there are always options that the group can explore, when deciding to do a production.
As amateurs it has to be a more satisfying an opportunity, to fossick & hunt for treasures free ?n for gratis, in our own back yard.

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 11/28/06 at 11:51am

Yes Red, I thought this one would have you out and about, but its an old revised one... But God, VPA seems to have it just as bad or even worse... (although the dollar amounts are smaller)

If only more people had a french to english dictionary and could look up the "meaning" of amateur.

For those stll lacking same, Amateur. For the love of..... to do something that you love....

Amateur Theater.... Hello... 

-------------
Marty W

Posted By: tristanrobin
Date Posted: 11/30/06 at 8:34am
for what it's worth, I *do* love what I do - and I also love that I get paid to
do it.   

Our director and musical director each are paid 1,500
If a straight play, the director receives 2,250
Our stage manager also functions as assistant director 750
Our musical director assistant also is rehearsal pianist 750
Choreographer is paid 750
Set Designer also functions as head carpenter 750

Our directors either do their own costuming or find a volunteer or pay
one out of their stipend

Our pit bands are paid scale

Everyone else is volunteer

We receive several grants which cover our stipend expenses

We live in an area with a plethora of theatres - amateur, regional, college,
professional - and we are only an hour from NYC where there are
hundreds and hundreds of amateur theatres. Without paying, theatres
could not get any qualified personnel. I believe that one has to take the
area and availability of personnel into account before making such
decisions.

Date Posted: 11/30/06 at 9:44am
Man and I always thought our stipend scale was off the charts... of course any amount would vary necessarily by the bank account and seat count of the theater in question... If we paid anywhere near those rates we would tank, financially, on every show!..  But still, your rates, our rates, I still have a hard time equating Amateur Community Theater with those kind of pay scales.. ESPECIALLY when it jumps up over 500... I can't find it in me to call that a stipend anymore, and if it ain't a stipend, your a pro... (just one ole fat guys oppinion)....

-------------
Marty W

Date Posted: 11/30/06 at 2:45pm

And I guess I want to p.s. my own post.... This stuff has gotten WAY out of hand.  At least thats the way I see it in our theater (and their are several posting members here from my home theater) I am doing a musical right now, and as always, mine are the big ones with 50 + cast and 25 to 30 supporting crew/etc.  It is "thought" that I get "paid" $400 for the duty... but it is a privilage... and this is totally by choice, I sink an average of two grand of unclaimed expences from my own pocket... And like I said, I'm ok with that because its my choice and my desire to pump a little extra into a show... As it is, its a 60 mile round trip to the theater.. sometimes for both my wifes car and mine.. but that too is ok... becuase I choose to do it. But in truth, my only pay that's worth anything at all is to be able to sit in our balcony and watch the faces of the audince and thier reactions..

It looks like I won't get that pay, because I have to step up to do the lights.  Apparently, the word is out amoung those who don't get paid, that there are no other positions than thiers which are getting paid...

Just for my friends from the home theater, be prepaired... This Will be a topic of discussion in the near future.  Other than the musicians that are not necessarily theater types anyway, I am moving for a ban on money!... It corupts the meaning and causes constant bickering...

Rant complete..

-------------
Marty W

Date Posted: 11/30/06 at 6:23pm
Couldn't agree with you more, Marty.....did you ever think you'd hear that from me?????

Good luck with bringing it up at a future meeting.  I brought it up last month, I think it was, and was VICIOUSLY attacked and shouted down.  I'm not sure if you were at that meeting, but I was given the impression that it was a closed subject, that it had been discussed before, and that they were tired of it.  BUT....please don't let that deter you from broaching it again.  I would appreciate the support, since the only ones at that meeting that seemed to be in favor of going back to no stipends were my hubby and me.

-------------

Posted By: suzecue1
Date Posted: 12/01/06 at 9:29am

In our CT, the directors do not get paid. We do budget $500-1000 for music.  This can be divided between the music director, piano accompanist and pit orchestra, or not. We offer it and the director can choose to take it or not. More often than not they say no thanks, because they know that no one else gets paid, and divide it between the pit orchestra players for their time.  

On the other hand, our CT offers a children's drama workshop each summer.  It is a part of, but run separate from, the CT. Different board, not all CT members, I am the director.  All the adult staff get paid the same amount.  Now it is a little different from a regular show.  The workshops are 2 weeks long, from 9 am to 3 pm for staff, and then 6 shows total. So, those of us who work have to take time off work, or work our vacation time.  Most of my staff are teachers, so they are off anyway. We get paid $700.00 per workshop.  I kept track of my hours the first year I was director. It figured to be about $1 and hour. But it is better than a stick in the eye.

-------------
Sue
So many hats.....so few heads!

Date Posted: 12/01/06 at 6:37pm
Marty, you seem to have missed an important statement in my post: We
receive grants for stipends. Council on the Arts, Proctor & Gamble, and
Citizens Bank all grant our theatre and the funds are used for stipends. If
we had to pay all the stipends from ticket sales, we wouldn't be able to
pay them either.

Our theatre realized about 15 years ago that without stipends, we
couldn't compete in the community theatre world here. And, as we
couldn't afford to raise ticket prices enough to cover them, we actively
and vigorously pursued grant options. Our grant from the Council on the
Arts, for example, is ONLY good for paying artists. It cannot be used for
anything else.

I look at the amateur theatre just as professional theatre. Hell - they
could get amateurs to work for free on Broadway too! But if they want the
best available, they have to pay. Same with amateur theatre - at least in
my area. There is great competition for directors, designers, and musical
directors. I wouldn't change theatres because one might pay more (heh
heh - unless it was a LOT more LOL) - but I would if ours didn't pay at all
and others did.

Posted By: teridtiger
Date Posted: 12/03/06 at 9:17pm
We're in Chula Vista, a ten-minute drive from downtown San Diego.  We are one of a handful of community theaters still operating on a 100% volunteer basis (i.e., no stipends, no salaries).  The grants in the area (and the rest of Southern California) all go to the "biggies" - The Old Globe, The La Jolla Playhouse and the like.  By the way, The Globe still operates as a 501c3 non-profit theatre, so the majority of the $$ go to them.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to operate without paying stipends to directors.  I am finding it difficult to get "new blood" as far as directors go because it seems that most other theaters pay something.  And with gas prices what they are in Southern California, I am considering proposing to the board that we offer some sort of stipend (or 'gas stipend' as another theatre 40 miles north of us calls it).  However, with only 60 seats and 18 performances per show (at 6 shows a year), we just break even.

Where does one look for grants specifically offering money to pay stipends?

Posted By: eveharrington
Date Posted: 12/03/06 at 11:35pm

We are even having talks about starting to give a stipend to the primary set builder and set dresser.

It never ends...

[/QUOTE]

Oh, it will end, just short of actually paying performers no doubt.

-------------
"If nothing else, there's applause... like waves of love pouring over the footlights."

Date Posted: 12/05/06 at 7:44am
Originally posted by teridtiger

Where does one look for grants specifically offering money to pay stipends?

Start with your state Council on the Arts. They (usually) do not give grants for operating expenses - and are rigid about their monies going to either artists' salaries or capital improvements.

Then hit up the medium sized corporations in your area - let the words "education," "community involvement," "artistic growth," and "artistic integrity" pepper your request for salary underwriting. First a letter, with a follow-up appointment to discuss in person.

Good luck!

And don't forget - you're NOT asking for the world - most theatres could operate for five years on the monies donated and lavished on the average high school football team for one season.

Posted By: Wuo duh ma
Date Posted: 12/11/06 at 1:08pm

I'm all about stipends, but with the theatre just breaking even, it becomes increaseingly difficult to justify that expense (considering how had it is for some people to even make budgeting shows a priority, how would you even get to the point of stipend expenses).

An idea might be to take each show's net income and allocate a percentage to cover gas expenses.  It's an incentive for producers to not use their entire budget on things (i.e. crack down on directors who spend without much thought).

-------------
I am a leaf on the wind… watch how I soar.

Posted By: dancingbarefoot
Date Posted: 3/02/07 at 12:55am
This is a tricky issue that is often debated I'm sure. I have been part of CT's that pay stipends and those that don't. As a choreographer and dance professional, I couldn't do a show for nothing because too often people think it's something I SHOULD do for nothing. Maybe it's because dance is often regarded as a hobby not a career anywhere other than large cities, but a dancer spends most of their life training and often a good choreographer/teacher becomes so through experience. Unfortunately, professionals that work for free often undermine those who are trying to work and do what they love for a living. Few other professions outside of the arts would be expected to go without pay. With that said, it is certainly possible to pull off good amateur theatre with non-professional production staff that volunteer. But, there will be a difference more often than not in quality. An orchestra of high school students for example may be good enough and pull of an excellent show, but that won't make them sound like professionals. There are some amazingly talented amateurs out there and for those all-volunteer organizations that's perfect. But a CT should never expect or ask people who make their living through dance or music, etc. to go without pay and personally I don't think a professional should work for no pay. Anyway, to pay or not to pay, I think an organization just has to decide what's best for itself. I agree paying some and not others can be a slippery slope.
Speaking of which, I also want to add that sometimes it annoys me that at some CTs a director who has no professional credits (and is sometimes not even very experienced in stage direction) will get paid twice as much as a hired choreographer or even music director - people who could not do what they do without years of training. I hope it doesn't just seem like sour grapes, but it just doesn't seem right. I hope I haven't offended anyone - it's a sticky topic.

Posted By: Chris Polo
Date Posted: 3/02/07 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by dancingbarefoot

But a CT should never expect or ask people who make their living through dance or music, etc. to go without pay and personally I don't think a professional should work for no pay. .

Exactly right, dancingbarefoot! For me, this is the crux of the matter. None of the directors, actors, or crew at my theater earn a living doing theater. Our theater lives take place outside of regular work hours, which are, for each and every one of us, spent doing something else that's not remotely involved with theater. During the day, we're computer programmers, state employees, teachers, business people, sanitation workers or what have you, and we get paid for doing those jobs. It's only during our free time that we're actors, directors and crew.

Our 5-show season almost always consists of straight plays rather than musicals. However, our annual summer fundraiser is a musical-type event, and we don't have musicians showing up at auditions begging for a chance to play. Unlike our other theater jobs, there's no room for learn-as-you-go music directors or musicians ("OK, who wants to volunteer to learn the trumpet?"), which means we need people who already have those skills, and the ones who have the required skills and are willing to work with us are professionals. Our music director, an absolute genius who works miracles with non-professional singers, is a music teacher at a local school who also moonlights playing paid gigs around the state, including the occasional event at the governor's mansion. Our drummer is also a professional who gets paid for playing elsewhere. When they work for us, we pay them, just like anybody else who hires them. 

We pay nobody else for their work on our fundraiser. Delaware Unleashed is a musical-comedy revue where we parody life in our beloved little state in song, and Mike and I, along with our friend and co-conspirator Bruce Leister, spend hundreds of hours over several months preparing for it every year. We write lyrics for some thirty-odd songs, work out the comedy bits, jokes and patter, sweat over the order and structure of the thing, and run it from auditions to closing night. We're not paid one red cent for it. Money is an important part of it, yes, as it is for every show, but only in so far as it's about raising money for our theater. If we took money out of it for ourselves, that would mean that much less for the theater to operate on, and since we do the show in the first place to raise money for our theater so we can continue doing more shows, getting paid would defeat the purpose.

We don't get paid in a financial sense, but we DO get paid. Our payment is the joy we receive when three close friends are given the incredible opportunity to work together in a creative endeavor to put together a wackball of a show that we love. We experience the personal thrill and satisfaction of seeing our audience grow beyond our theater's capacity (year before last, we sold out all six performances in under an hour, and last summer, people showed up at the theater at 5 am. equipped with lawn chairs, blankets and snacks, and waited in line for hours to get tickets!)  My theater pays me back tenfold by giving me opportunities that I receive nowhere else. And just like I don't look to my day job to give me standing ovations when I write a particularly brilliant report, or allow me to take a bow after running a good meeting, I don't look to my theater to hand me a paycheck.

Originally posted by dancingbarefoot

...it is certainly possible to pull off good amateur theatre with non-professional production staff that volunteer. But, there will be a difference more often than not in quality.

Yikes! Shocked  There are many, many people involved in all aspects of community theater production who have the talent, the experience and, in more cases than you'd think, the training to work as professionals, but don't. Many who might have pursued a professional career in the arts (but weren't interested in teaching) were faced with the reality of the decidedly low pay and uncertain employment opportunities of the professional artist -- not to mention family pressure to pursue a more "reasonable" career path! The majority opt instead for more financially stable careers. Others lacked the opportunity to be involved in theater production when they were younger and only discovered their talents and abilities later in life, when family and financial obligations, as well as community ties, make giving everything up to go professional something that's not even worthy of consideration. Many community theaters working with "non-professional production staff that volunteer" produce outstanding shows that are definitely better than just "good amateur theater"!

-------------
Chris Polo
Visit Community Theater Green Room Originals at www.cafepress.com/ctgr
"The scenery in the play was beautiful, but the actors got in front of it." -- Alexander Woolcott

Date Posted: 3/02/07 at 9:38pm
Some interesting points!
But to me even having had a foot on each side of the wire fence most of the  time, which can definitely make the eyes water, depending on the height & type of fence ‘It’ is!
I have found over the years, the only difference being, is that of the almighty dollar!
Working with proeatre especially, the attitude is to fix it by throwing gold bricks at the show, rather than using empirical knowledge or initiative in solving or resolving any hiccups!
I find a lot of times even with those who are trained as artificers, a definite lacking in what should be the basics of their game & general logistics of theatre.
Pro’s are not always best suited to work in a comeatre, as they are used to passing off aspects to others, beyond their intimated &/or perceived contractual demarcation lines. Leaving very grey areas for some one else to fix or that become neglected. Then bitch because they have to cover it, which of course feeds their ‘Munchausen’ affliction no end. Giving the old ego a few extra strokes, when they miraculously fix it rather easily?
I suppose I have noticed this more with paid Techies & Directors, than with most Twirlies or Muso’s, as they tend to be more disciplined!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: Kibitzer
Date Posted: 3/02/07 at 11:08pm

Well, I apologize ahead of time:  this topic presses a couple of my buttons, so here’s another Kibitzer Dissertation! 

As the variety of responses to this topic suggests, there may be as many precedents in paying for services as there are community theatres.  I have developed an enormously ambivalent position on the issue of paid positions in community theatres.  Having been a paid, full-time managing director of two community theatres, part of my ambivalence has to do with my own personal guilty feelings about getting paid to do those jobs.  But that aside, I believe the fundamental nature of community theatre is inextricably linked to its volunteer-based roots. 

The essence of community theatre is captured in the idealism of the rallying cry, “Hey kids, let’s do a show!” The very spirit of that exclamation is antithetical to a professional settting.  It’s all about the love of the art.  A love so deep and so committed that just doing it is its own reward.  Ask almost anyone who started in community theatre and successfully crossed over to the professional side.  It became a job.  The spirit was lost – or at least transformed into something altogether different.  

I take exception to the myth that money buys quality.  I have seen shows directed by “professional” directors that were just horrible and I have seen shows directed by “amateur” directors that reached impeccable artistic achievement and I have seen everything in between.  I think the trap we get into is confusing the word “amateur” with the word “amateurish”.  A few years ago I wasted over $255 for tickets so my family and I could see a “professional” production of “A Chorus Line” at a major professional theatre in Philadelphia.  It was one of the most amateurish productions I have ever seen.  I sat there and KNEW that we had far more talented “amateur” performers at our community theatre.  So much for stereotypes. 

When I hear the term “professional” in association with community theatre, it cues a rant on one of my most emotional pet peeves.  One of the things that completely undermines the entire intent and spirit of community theatre is the desire to be “professional”.  (Quite frankly, as much as I love the originators and coordinators of this site, I am deeply offended by their tag line at the opening of the site:  “The Home Of Professional Amateurs”.)  I saw an old display once that referred to that community theatre as a “professional community theatre.”  That is a contradiction in terms and spelled out very clearly to me why that theatre had been having so many artistic as well as participation problems.  Let me make no bones about this:  We ARE NOT PROFESSIONAL and our intention is NOT to create a PROFESSIONAL PRODUCT.  That doesn’t mean that at times our audiences experience what they consider a professional result.  I would never argue this point when an audience member would liken a show to a professional version they had seen.  It’s the old adage that you can argue facts, not perceptions.  But I also understood that what they were really saying is they had an artistic experience that significantly surpassed their expectations.  The audience can call it anything they want; as participants and managers (paid or volunteer), however, we need to know who and what we are if we are to be successful.  Mission contradiction can be deadly. 

At a Pennsylvania Association of Community Theatres conference a few years ago, Gary Cohen was brought in as a keynote speaker.  Mr. Cohen is (or was at that time – I don’t know if he still is or not!) producing director for Plays-in-the-Park in Edison, New Jersey.  He described his theatre and its incredible budget.  It seemed to me that the only people NOT paid were the actors.  Although his talk was enormously entertaining, I was disturbed to think of his theatre as a real community theatre.  This is one extreme.  Then there are theatres that pay no one, never have, and never will.  I don’t know that there is a pat answer to this issue except to say that if a theatre is thinking about paying people, know two things:

1.       Pay one person once, you are setting a precedent and will very likely be paying people to do this (these) job(s) forever.

2.      Know precisely what you expect to accomplish by having a paid person do whatever it was (a) volunteer(s) were (was) previously doing.

The second of these is too often a knee-jerk solution to the problem of not having enough volunteers.  I’m now going to insult a lot of people.  The reason why there aren’t enough volunteers is because there has not been enough commitment to a system of ongoing volunteer recruitment and/or training. 

I’ll put this provocative statement into a broader context.  It reflects what I deeply believe is the most basic vision/mission/purpose of community theatre: 

We provide a comprehensive, soup-to-nuts experience in all phases of the production and presentation of theatrical entertainment for members of the community. 

And I mean ALL.  There is no job that cannot be done by a volunteer.  Some community theatres have chosen to pay people to do certain things, while others remain fully volunteer.  I have seen exceptional productions under both systems.  But no matter where a community theatre falls in its scope of paid vs. volunteer participants, without volunteers you are not a community theatre.  That means you must always be in a recruitment mode.  

With this in mind, here’s my last thought on this rant:  when you pay someone to do something, you are taking that opportunity away from a volunteer.  In other words, as soon as you write the check, you’re undermining community theatre’s most basic function! 

-------------
"Security is a kind of death." - Tennessee Williams

Date Posted: 3/03/07 at 12:04am
G’donya Kibitzer!
That’s a fairdinkum point on ongoing volunteer recruitment & training.
Instead we tend to use & abuse what we have, until they bitterly pull the pin & go else where.
Instead of gaining more of our most reusable resource - people!
I believe we find it much easier to knock members, rather than nurture & afford shared training.
Simple basic workshops works wonders & can eventually address thinking about forking out a stipend!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 3/03/07 at 4:22pm
Bravo, Kibitzer!  My feelings exactly on building and training a volunteer base so that you don't get stuck with the "Nobody knows how to do this but me, so pay me" mindset. (For my rant, see my earlier post.) And your differentiation between 'amateur" and "amateurish" was right on!

Welcome to the Board, and keep those posts coming!

-------------

Date Posted: 3/03/07 at 10:52pm
I have probably related this before?
I wasn’t actually a member of this particular group, but was asked if I could help with the electric’s at their theatre.
They were refurbishing it & held up because they needed to shift the Mains Power switchboard & relocate it.
I did & also rewired the venue which was over 100 years old & every bloke & his dog had had a go over the years, by bodgying up extra circuits & adding band aid repairs & modifications.
The Architect, who was a member, had quotes of $20 000 & more to do the work.
So dummy here, being semi retired at the time, said yes I’ll do it at no cost.
Working every night I did it on my own within a month, although I requested that they hold all rehearsals & productions while I was doing it, needless to say that didn’t happen.
When I had it up & running, I was then berated & admonished for not becoming a member & paying up the $20 fee. Which was demanded immediately or else I couldn’t participate in the theatre productions or use the facilities, like having coffee or tea, also I would not be covered by their volunteer insurance?
After ensuring the theatre was electrically safe, I smiled while packing up my tools & walked out, not to return!
I didn’t bother returning any of their phone calls or grovelling emails, for about 6 months, until I got a call one Saturday night, that the main fuse had blown & they had no power on the stage for their production.
Being an idiot I fronted up within half an hour & reset the breaker. After removing the faulty lamp & then advised the SM they had the power back & could do the performance.
Quietly got into the car & hit the road.
It took another 2 months or so before I received a letter of thank you, with an offer of a complimentary ticket for the next production - amazingly I never did take up the  offer.
{in this State all electrical work has to be performed by a qualified licensed electrician, under the Electrical Act}
I feel they missed the point completely!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: BillCVFT
Date Posted: 5/04/07 at 3:49pm
Well, I guess we are generous.  For anyone who wants to contact me directly, I can share a small, informal survey with you that I did of community theaters (8) in the greater Minneapolis area 2 yrs ago.  We bumped our salaries about 20% after that, and are above the middle of the pack, but by no means the highest.  We currently pay a total of about $5-6000 in salaries and stipends for a full length musical, broken down as follows:
- Director $1200-$1500
- Orchestra Dir $500
- Vocal Director $500
- Rehearsal Pianist $400
- Choreographer $400-600
- Technical Director $700-$800
- Costumer $300-400
Various stipends of $25-$100 to producer, lights, sound, box office, etc.
We do not pay actors.  We have a stipend program for musicians, who earn $500 after they have participated in 5 shows with us, then it starts again.  This creates loyalty, and compensates musicians for care of their instruments, etc.  We pay mileage to musicians only when necessary.

The payments are less about "a fair hourly rate" (which it is not).  It is more about showing appreciation for efforts, and has worked well for us.

Posted By: trutter
Date Posted: 5/09/07 at 1:30pm
I haved mixed feelings on that.   As a director, it would be nice, but as a Board member, I see so many things in our theater that the money COULD go to, I would feel guilty taking it.  There is always a light out, or something needed in costumes, or something else... would rather the funds help the organization rather than myself.

We have some, but not a lot, problem finding directors.  This year it was easy - we asked some past directors "what show would you do, if you could do, that we haven't done."  From those answers we read the scripts and pretty much had our season. 

-------------
------
Troy A. Rutter
Author, "Kids in the Biz: A Hollywood Handbook for Parents"
http://www.kidsinthebiz.com/ - http://www.kidsinthebiz.com/
A Heinemann Drama Publication

Posted By: fjoef
Date Posted: 7/17/07 at 3:13pm
We are the Apple Cider Players in Northern New Jersey and I can't believe that I am reading some of these posts with the low or zero dollars paid to directors!  WOW!   We are a non-profit also........unfortunately, to get good director talent we have to pay.  We have paid as much as $2000 to a director for a musical (4 month rehearsal)!   Are we wrong?  Let me tell you - they put in a tremendous amount of time into these performances.  They deserve something.  Too little would be an insult.....THere has to be a fine line on there experiences vs what they earned (effort wise).
Anyway -  it is one of the largest expenses of a small theater group next to set!
Joe

-------------
Joe Ferrara

Date Posted: 8/20/07 at 8:29pm
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2000.... And I thought our 400 was a kicker... Joe Ferrara?  Didn't happen to come for Rome NY did ya... ? 

-------------
Marty W

Posted By: cujimmy
Date Posted: 9/11/07 at 4:24pm
I wish I got paid to Direct but even the $400-$500 I see here posted would still put me in the hole. I lose more than that much a week when I get off work early to rehearse only 2 times a week. Over the course of our rehersals I probably lose $5000 to $10,000 for the privilage of Directing. Thats for one show folks and I might Direct 2 a year.

Posted By: gordo942
Date Posted: 9/24/07 at 12:20am

Well, I'm here because stipends have been an issue during our past two productions. 

Our community theatre group has been around for eleven years and the current board of directors has been in place for two years. Previously, the producer and director/choreographer were board members and were stipend about $500 each. We also stipend the music director/rehearsal pianist $500-800 and paid the pit based on the number of performances (usually $50/show), as well as the sound/light crew, set builder and graphics person for posters, programs, etc. (all professionals outside of theatre).

Three years ago the producer and director left to pursue other activities. None of us had the experience to direct the types of shows we were looking at doing, so we hired a director and choreographer the following year and two board members acted as producer. We made a modest amount on that show. Yes, we are non-profit but if we cannot sustain our operation we will cease to exist. Like any other company, our theatre company must do what is in it's best interest in order to survive.

Two years ago we stipend a non-board member producer and outside director, music director and choreographer. We had the most profitable show ever for the theatre group. Even to the point where we felt comfortable that we could make some house improvements, take a loss on this year's production and still not worry about it. We had plans to do a second show this year but our elderly building had some code issues that needed to be addressed first.

We just closed this year's musical last night and I think we probably lost a little on the budget...but we paid stipends to the producer, director, choreographer, music director, set builder, marketing person, sound & light...and we gave the choreographer, two costumers and the set dresser a monetary bonus/reward for exceeding our expectations. We also helped upgrade our building and laid plans for additional improvements.

Each of the stipends went to people who are professionals and get paid elsewhere to do what they did for us. The adult, teen and children actors that participated and the non-professional volunteers all had a tremendous experience.

Yes, we are concerned about setting precedents, so we are reviewing our stipend policies. We do one show a year right now. I would like to do at least one more and allow the second to be a internally produced, directed and low- or non-stipend show that cultivates talent within our core group.

Will we still stipend for our big budget annual musical (usually $15- to 20-grand)? For as long as it works and still provides the community with exactly what they need, expect and deserve... an entertaining, memorable, educational and culturally stimulating experience.

I came to this discussion because I've heard that even with the increases we've made in stipends, we are still behind the other theatre groups in the area in this regard. I understand the principle of non-paid, volunteer theatre. I believe it still can exist in our geographic area and we intend to pursue it. But we also see that hired professionals deliver the results that can fuel other endeavors.

Date Posted: 9/24/07 at 8:51pm
G'day Gordon & gdonya!
I wouldn't worry about other groups,Tongue your didea of doing your own thing, has merit. Clap
In my view your mob have had the experiance, of the paid bods & I believe you would have gleaned enough to give it a go.
I bet thier are a load of diamonds hiden in your own padock, waiting to be discovered.
I would presume this would have been the reason for paying these pros in the fist place. Was to gain enough know how & experiance to cook your own chook  eventualy - it looks like the time is here, to pluck the chook [chicken]!Wink
From your website it looks that they would have enoughshows under thier hats, to do a great production without to many blues at all.
i doubt they would mount a crook show, that was less than thier previous bench marks.
Let's face it what with the net these days & forums like this to draw on. There is really no reason to shell out hard earned brass to achieve the standard previously set.
I doubt your loyal punters would realise or even think about if there was paid direcyors or not.
In which case this gives you more to spend on resources, because it is unlikely your going to reap less from the turnstiles.
Your using the same stable of horses, only with your jockeys!Star

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: JohnnyOneNote
Date Posted: 2/09/08 at 3:48pm
WOW is right... Our theatre won't even give out ONE COMP TICKET to anyone - directors, crew or actors...... they do buy them Pizza during set building.. they figure that is enough of a thank you.

A CT 60 miles away pays their directors based on sales of the show.. up to $1500, so if you have a hit... you get a good stipend.. if it flops, you get something lower.. I love it because it makes me work harder. :)
But it is also cost me more than that in gas some times... but every penny helps in that situation.

Posted By: Rudyeleven
Date Posted: 6/04/08 at 2:47pm
We are a very small church community theater. We have an annual budget of about $6000. We do not charge admission.  I have friends who help me with the technical stuff and I pay them. Director $500. Music director $600. Rehearsal pianist/performance pianist/assistant music director $500. Sound guy $500 ( he is very good and worth every penny since we must mic our shows) lighting designer $300. Musicians $300 each.

Posted By: avgsuperheroine
Date Posted: 6/04/08 at 10:01pm
I find this very interesting.  I am also in  iowa, and we've always had small honorariums for directors, music directors and orchestra people.  We are now in the "where does it end" phase of our development.

Our AD has now added stipends for assistant directing, stage managing, etc.  We are a fortunate theatre, we have a building and a full and part time paid staff.  However, after eight years of being employed there as the manager of an entire division of the organization, I make a grand total of $10.25 per hour after you take out what I have to pay for my own health insurance since we offer no benefits of any kind.  $10.25 after 8 years of full time service. 

So when I look and see our tech director get paid per show and not on staff (he works every night after a full day of work), he gets about $3000 per year to do seven shows.  Then I see my very talented seamstress make peanuts after over 15 years of sewing, and look at my position, I get very angry that we're turning around and spending over $2000 per show on honorariums for a VOLUNTEER theatre, then get told over and over "we just can't afford to pay you more..."...well, it irks me.

So I guess I'm in the camp with the other people that feel maybe you shouldn't pay for volunteers to do volunteer jobs.  Why not the box office volunteers?  Why not the designers (for gosh sakes, we pay the Ass.Dir. but not the costume designer?). 

Posted By: dexter74656
Date Posted: 9/06/08 at 11:17pm
My theater is entirely volunteer, with one exception that's starting this (our third) season... we're adding a children's production and bringing in an outside director and prepared to give him an honorarium for this.  But I've got to say, after reading this thread, I'm going to have to go and rethink the amount a little; we were looking at $400 - one of my board members questioned this at which point I started asking him what HE would suggest for the payment, and when we started looking at alternatives, the $400 seemed to float pretty well, but now I'm thinking that $300 may be a more appropriate price range... you've all given me a lot to think about.

The following season (2010), we'll be doing our first musical IF we can financially support doing so.  I'm a professional musician by day; theater just being a hobby, so I'm going to be damned sure that we appropriately pay those people that play for us.

Posted By: KEB54
Date Posted: 9/15/08 at 2:48pm
I won't tell you what I get, but it is not the highest figure disscussed so far.  Frankly I would do it for considerably less and probably even at no charge, even though in this system the director position does take on many of the responsibilities normally assigned to the producer.
The Board feels that the stipend holds the director accountable, that he/she won't walk away from the production and that he/she will give it his/her best efforts.

BTW -- Other positions get stipends as well and for the same reasons. Choreographer, Stage manager, scene design, tech director, lighting design (and opperator), music director, and costume coordinator all get small stipends.

-------------
KEB

Date Posted: 9/16/08 at 9:35am
wow.. talk about your subject that never dies... This post started two years ago...  Whats old is new.

-------------
Marty W

Posted By: RoseColored Gla
Date Posted: 9/16/08 at 10:04am
Even though I am starting out with my own company, I have learned alot from the companies that I have worked for, both semi-professional and amateur.

The biggest thing is this:  if you want quality, you have to work for it.  I have seen disgusting work come from individuals who were getting paid.  They felt that since they were getting paid, they were better than anyone.

Money does not equate to higher quality all the time.

I did fall victim to dirty rotten blackmail from some musicians though.  I needed a keyboardist and drummer for a revue.  the ONLY people i could find required money for their services.  $500/musician for six performances.  Once the singers got word that the musicians were getting paid, they demanded pay as well.  Fortunately for me, they weren't as expensive.... they only cost me $75 each.  and there were only three others besides me.  Well, needless to say, the show was a financial flop because after having to budget their 'salaries'  i had no money left over for publicity.  I learned my lesson there.  NEVER let a musician bully you into it, and NEVER admit how desperate you are for a musician. *8-)

The one thing I am sure of (at least in theory right now) is that if one person goes without pay, they ALL go without pay!

My thoughts on paying people is simple....if the show makes money, and there is enough to pay EVERYONE, then why not share the wealth with the ENTIRE cast/crew/staff.  everyone put in immense effort, not just the director.  I will not promise my staff pay, but i hope that at the end of the run, I can throw some gas money into their thank you cards.

-------------
Dennis Dippary
Artistic Director
Songs for a New World http://rosecoloredglassestheater.com - RoseColored Glasses
May Dionysus smile upon your every performance!

Posted By: Cravens
Date Posted: 11/03/08 at 6:15pm
It never ends. But we only pay our musical director and musicians. We are a VOLUNTEER community theatre.

-------------
Tracy
www.longmonttheatre.org

Posted By: dexter74656
Date Posted: 11/03/08 at 6:36pm
NEVER let a musician bully you into it, and NEVER admit how desperate you are for a musician. *8-)

Sorry, but I'm a theater person by night, but by day I'm a music educator and professional performer with various concert bands/symphony orchestras... and while I'd have no problem going somewhere and volunteering my services as director or whatever they needed me to do strictly theatrical wise... but, if someone comes to me to play a show, the first thing I'm going to ask after getting the dates and expectations for rehearsals, is whether or not it pays.

I've bluntly put forward to my board members that as much as I want to do a musical in the future, I won't be doing it unless we've got money in the budget to pay musicians and do it right, because that's how it's done.  I've got enough friends and professional connections I could probably get it done for free, but I won't do that.  And I've sat through shows that try to use the canned tapes and it loses the effect totally.

I know there's one local CT that hires musicians but then also asks/expects (?  I've not had a chance to play for them; the one time I was asked, my own theater had commitments that kept me away) you to donate the payment for one of the performances back to them as a donation of your services.  I don't have a total problem with this, although I probably wouldn't do it myself - my feeling is, if you say you're paying me x amount, then I expect to walk away with x amount - if you want the amount of one performance donated back, then don't tell me you're paying me the first amount.

Posted By: Helena
Date Posted: 11/24/08 at 6:51pm
 We are a community theatre (non-profit) now in our 33rd season.
NO ONE involved in our productions is paid...... 
and we manage just fine to come up with talented, dedicated directors and production staff, as well as pianists and other musicians.

-------------
"..that's farce, that's theater, that's life"

Date Posted: 11/25/08 at 8:56am
Remember all, "All C.T.'s are not created equal".. What works in some areas does not work in others..

-------------
Marty W

Posted By: Pied Piper
Date Posted: 8/09/10 at 11:02am
We are a non-profit that produces one show per year.  Are these staff figures out of line?

Director..................................$4,600.00
Music director .......................$1,500.00
Costumer..............................$500.00
Choregrapher........................$300.00
Assistant director..................$300.00
Script writer...........................$200.00
Children's coordinator............$100.00

The director is a professional from Indianapolis.  There are three performances and about 20 rehearsal dates.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info