Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Lights and Sound
 Community Theater Green Room Discussion Board :Producing Theater :Lights and Sound
Message Icon Topic: Mic feedback Post Reply Post New Topic
ange
Walk-On
Walk-On

Online Status: Offline
Quote ange Replybullet Topic: Mic feedback
    Posted: 1/18/09 at 9:21pm
I am involved in a middle school play again for sound and lights. Last year I was able to use Crown floor mics for the show with great results. This year 3 of the leads are very soft spoken. If I use wireless and floor together, will I be getting alot of feed back?? Unfortunately, I have students running the mixer so I have to make it as easy as possible.  If I end up having to use all wireless, I will be using 15 mics.  Any info would be appreciated.
IP IP Logged
jlongman
Walk-On
Walk-On

Quote jlongman Replybullet Posted: 1/21/09 at 3:51pm
Do you have a budget? rent a Shure DFR-22 feedback reducer. just lock the filters after it loads up about 2/3 of them. if you let it keep searching it will strangle your show
IP IP Logged
Mr. Lowell
Celebrity
Celebrity

Quote Mr. Lowell Replybullet Posted: 1/26/09 at 11:41am
Hi ange,
I run into this situation all the time with elementary and middle school age musicals.  I design and tech-direct about 10 shows at this age level each year.  It can be problematic...

It's very tricky to mix the lead actors on Body Mics with the chorus on Floor Mics.  Your sound operator needs to have his hands on the faders at all times and "play the sound board like a piano", as I say.  Because he needs to fade the offending mic as soon as in starts to hum, NOT after it already starts to whine! 

I often tell my sound crew that, "I WOULD RATHER HEAR NO MIC AT ALL THAN HEAR FEEDBACK".   So they should be prepared at all times to kill that offending mic, (or even kill the Masters if necessary - in a worst-case panic situation).  Yes, cutting off a microphone mid-song is bad...but having the "suspension of disbelief" smashed by screeching feedback is even worse!  Besides, an actor should be able to PROJECT.  Yes, our little kids might have small lungs and no stage experience, but a sound system is only intended for about 20% ENHANCEMENT of acoustical voices - for clarity sake - not for delivering 100% of the singing.   Hey, this is theatre, after all, not radio! 

So if little kids are incapable of projecting their voices in a standard proscenium theatre without the crutch of technology, then hey, maybe we need to re-think the mission statement of our youth theatre programs.  Maybe kids aren't ready to fill a big hall.  Maybe our "kiddie shows" should be staged in a Studio Theatre or other small "Found Spaces".  This is an issue that I deal with for 10 kid shows a year around here.  Just last month I reluctantly gave-in to a Director's demand to put my $850.00 Sennheiser/Countrymen earset mics on all 8 kids in a 4th grade production of "Grinch, the Musical"!   None of the mics got broken.  Whew!

So anyway, back to your particular floor mic situation.  I use the same Crown PCC area mics that you do, I bet.  But you must remember that each mic will pick up about a 20' wide area, so don't place them too close together or you'll get echoing, phasing or feedback.  My proscenium arch is 40' wide, so I put one floor mic mid-SL and one mid-SR, at the lip of the pit.  That way, my sound operator, (who is also a young kid), can bring up his right mic for a stage-left scene or his left mic for a stage-right scene.  We only bring up both floor mics if the entire cast is singing a big number.   And even then, you have to remember that the leads have all their body mics operating as well.   So there is some finesse involved here.  By the way, I usually don't place a floor mic center-stage on the apron because, generally, directors will put their lead actors center - and leads already wear lots of wireless mics. 

Technically, the way that a Floor Microphone works is that it uses the actual wood boards in your stage floor as it's own "pick-up membrane".  This is good, because it picks up a lot of "bounce" from the voices of our short little kids.  But, the drawback is that your sound crew has to watch out for too much stomping near the mics during dance numbers.  Another precaution is to keep kids from stepping on the floor mic itself - or it's wires.  Because a condenser mic uses Phantom Power, and when you step on the plug, the electrical connection will pop very loudly...once again shattering the suspension of disbelief...or some eardrums!  Another pitfall of floor mics is that they inevitably pick up "bleed-over" from your pit orchestra.  So don't mount them too close to the edge of the pit...or if you must, then install some kind of "back shield" as a sound barricade. 

Traditionally, floor mics and body mics are really only needed for musicals - to overcome the powerful pit orchestra.  If you are doing a straight play, you shouldn't need them.  Although sometimes I'll put a single floor mic center for a Shakespeare play in order to get a tad more verbal clarity, (and to send voices into my radio Headphones for the Hearing Impaired).
When using mics of any kind, your sound crew needs to pay attention to the stage constantly.  If two actors stand close to each other, or hug, then fade both body mics a little, or maybe cut one of them off, to avoid phasing or overkill.   And if a chorus person needs to deliver just one line of vocals with your lead, rather than using a floor mic here, try to pick up that chorus kid by boosting the wireless mic on your lead actor.  Always kill body mics whenever actors exit.  And if the leads are the only ones on stage, then why not kill those unneeded floor mics.  

Just go ahead and make it a general rule to kill the floor mics whenever the chorus is not singing.  This will cut down on the amount of time where feedback is possible.  Plus it will remove that "muddy" echo sound you get when TOO MANY mics are on at once.  When someone suggests, "hey guys, we need more mics", remember that "more" is not always the best answer.  Because having too many hot mics can cause impedence, audio phasing issues and annoying feedback.   And from personal experience, too much conflicting "sound pressure" from the band and speaker system in the contained atmosphere of the building can give people in the balcony a splitting headache! 
And beware!  Your sound board should NEVER, EVER be situated in a "sound booth"!  In fact there is no such thing as a "sound booth" in live theatre..."light booth", yes...but not a sound booth.  The only reason schools put the mixer in a booth is for security, so it doesn't get fiddled with or stolen.  Go to a Broadway musical or a big rock concert and you'll see the giant sound board IN THE HOUSE...(obstructing lots of nice balcony seats!) 

"Sound booths" are used in television studios, where 100% of the desired output comes through the system to the audience.  But like I said before, only the top 20% of the stage actor's voice should be expected to come through your speakers - for extra clarity.  The other 80% should be acoustic sound from your actor's mouth to your patron's ears.  Our "fourth wall" is not glass, like it is in television, so the theatre audience needs to be hearing a great deal of live sound from the actors.  If not, then you've got to have the courage as Director to walk up to the pit and tell your conductor to "play softer".   (By the way, professional musicians have the skill to play softer, but young musician just don't have the experience yet).

So anyway, be sure that your Mixer and your Board Operator are in the house with the audience.  Because if your board is in a booth with flat walls, glass windows, and monitor speakers, then you are NOT hearing what the audience is hearing.  So how can you set the levels properly?!  And to be frank, the audience payed the big bucks to see and hear their grandkids sing!...not to hear pit music or painful feedback.

My main advice for a good show is to take the time in pre-production to write up a very detailed SOUND CUE SHEET for your crew and a WIRELESS MIC ASSIGNMENT SHEET for your actors. 

I always have 3 kids on my sound crew: 

1)  The Board Operator, who has both ears open to hear what the audience is hearing.  Yes, he can use the Headphones to monitor mic levels from time to time, but he should NEVER wear the Intercom Headsets.  This background chatter will just distract him!  (I have his assistant wear the  Intercom Headsets; see below).    The Operator should be sharp and on the ball at all times...riding the levels and anticipating the next entrances.   He needs to anticipate every entrance so he won't "clip" the first two words of every line!  (Argh! That's a major pet peeve of mine!)  And like I said, he should "play the mixer like a piano" to eliminate the problems before the audience ever knows...and before that dreaded feedback ever happens.    

The entire show is on this Operator's shoulders, so he (or she) needs to be mature, competent, and able to work under pressure.  If the microphone on your lead actor suddenly dies, then he has to quickly "fix it on the fly" by boosting another actor's mic or by boosting the nearest floor mic to cover for it.  If a sound cue gets screwed up, he needs to avoid chatting about it with others.  Because, as I like to say, "this show is a freight train running - there's no time to stress about a mistake or you'll just make another!" 

2)  The Prompter sits right beside the Operator with a well-marked script in hand(My Stage Manager sits in the Light Booth and she is far too busy with light cues and fly cues to call out dozens of individual microphone cues).    The Prompter has Warning Cues and Stand-by Cues marked for every entrance and for every song.  His job is to "elbow" the Operator before every cue.  (And to remind him to kill off-stage body mics so the audience doesn't accidentally hear dirty gossip about other actors!)   He wears the intercom headset on one ear so he can receive SF/X cues from the Stage Manager.  (I instruct my Prompter to be incharge of loading SF/X in the CD player or booting up effects on his Laptop).   The Prompter also uses his headset to get urgent "trouble messages" from my Mic Runner, (see below).   

The student who was my Prompter for my recent high school production of "Les Miserable School Edition" gets my "Most Valuable Crew Member Award" this year!  He ran a flawless show.  I told the Director, "of our 23 crew members, including the Turntable Operator, the Prompter was our unsung hero".   Because he kept his nose in the script at all times and kept one ear on the flow of the show.  He gave those critical warnings to the Operator who already had his hands full with 24 channels of body and floor mics.   

So, while this "Prompter" position may be a thankless job to recruit a kid to do, it is invaluable to the running of a clean show.  In the bigger picture, this Prompter kid is my apprentice for being my Operator next season, as kids graduate to the next level. 

3)  The Mic Runner generally stays backstage to assist the actors with troublesome body mics.  He jumps on headset backstage whenever there is trouble, and talks with the Prompter in order to troubleshoot bad wiring, bad frequencies, or dead batteries.  He carries fresh batteries and some transparent medical tape.   

Before the house opens, the Runner rigs each lead actor with body mics.  We use waist pouches with adjustable velcro straps around the body, (because the fragile radio belt packs will invariably fall on the floor during a show if you rely on the little belt clips that come with them).  He makes sure the Countrymen earset microphone is not too close to the actor's mouth...(so that we don't hear popping plosives, like the letters "b" and "p").  And he uses clear medical tape to secure earset mics to the cheeks of those young actors with tiny ears!   

Then, the Mic Runner gets all the lead actors to line up across the front of the apron to do a MIC CHECK.  This is done ten minutes before house opens, with the cast in full costume.  He makes sure that actors with Lavalier Mics are not covering or rubbing mics with their costumes, etc...   Actors are instructed to SING AN ACTUAL SONG FROM THE SHOW, AT ACTUAL VOLUME so that the Operator can pre-set realistic levels on the board.  I tell actors that if there is no lyrics that go "Testing, 1, 2, 3" in the show, then don't say it now during mic check!!!   

The other important job of the Mic Runner is to help with mic changes between actors DURING the show.  Generally, our leads keep their mics for the entire show.  But there are always supporting players with only one solo who briefly need a mic.  So the Runner will pull the mic off one soloists as soon as she exits and rig it up to the next soloist ASAP.  It is important that all mics are NUMBERED, and that the numbers are clearly marked under each Fader on the Mixer.  Actors are instructed not to exhange mics on their own...(or else the Operator might bring up a hot mic on an actor that is in the bathroom!..it's happened!!!)   Also beware that sneaky actors will cut off their Mute Switch so they can have intimate conversations backstage without the Operator listening in on headphones using the "Pre-Fade" button.  In this situation, Murphy's Law invariably strikes!  The actor returns to the stage and forgets to un-mute his mic!!!  Then who does the Director blame?...the sound crew, of course!   So be sure that only the crew touches the mics, not the actors. 

As with all technical positions, being on Sound Crew requires a lot of on-the-job training.  So my Mic Runner is usually my apprentice for the Prompter job next season, and so on.

With these 3 dedicated techies on the ball, you should have a clean show.  Although, I must admit, for most elementary and middle school musicals, I do hire a local sound dude to sit behind the sound crew.   He gives critical over-the-shoulder coaching...at least during the Tech Rehearsal, First Dress with Orchestra, and maybe Opening Night.  Having this professional technician sitting up there at the Board frees me up to "put out fires" on stage with sloppy set changes, dangerous fly cues, and complicated light cues.  He's worth the money.

And if you want to read up on sound or teach it, then the best book by far I have found is this. In fact this was the textbook used in the sound course I took at the local community college a few years ago.

Well, sorry to drone on so long.  I hope some of this helps.  Sorry if I sounded to "preachy" about these sound issues.  (KEEP IN MIND THAT I AM NOT A SOUND EXPERT).  I just had to learn a lot of this stuff the hard way!  

Break a Leg...(not an eardrum!)  Wink   -Dana

Mr. Lowell,
Lighting/Set Designer & Tech Director,
for the Linda Sloan Theatre,
in the Davison Center for the Arts,
at Greensboro Day School
IP IP Logged
ddave
Player
Player

Quote ddave Replybullet Posted: 2/21/09 at 10:58pm
I have been providing sound for such productions for about 25 years.  I'll second just about everything in the above post.

IP IP Logged
TEPA
Walk-On
Walk-On

Quote TEPA Replybullet Posted: 3/12/09 at 9:57am

Hi Ange

It is hard working with students but I do it all the time

You can reduce foldback or provide some in ear monitors (IEM). There are a lot of cheap ones on the market these days. If the students hear themselves, they can sing softer. If they cant hear themselves, they tend to shout. I once had an infants choir mime because they could hear themselves. It was quite funny but all vanished when I cut the foldback vocals. I wish you all the best

You can also use feedback exterminator and again they are cheap or you could be daring and set up your EQ. The more bands, the better. One the the common problems is input gain so if you get that right, a lot of your problems will be minimised

John
Technical Entertainment Production Academy
IP IP Logged
Scott B
Celebrity
Celebrity

Quote Scott B Replybullet Posted: 3/12/09 at 7:48pm
This was easily the BEST information I've received on sound regarding a show.  I'm saving it to my computer for future reference.

Thank you!

Originally posted by Mr. Lowell

Hi ange,
I run into this situation all the time with elementary and middle school age musicals.  I design and tech-direct about 10 shows at this age level each year.  It can be problematic...

It's very tricky to mix the lead actors on Body Mics with the chorus on Floor Mics.  Your sound operator needs to have his hands on the faders at all times and "play the sound board like a piano", as I say.  Because he needs to fade the offending mic as soon as in starts to hum, NOT after it already starts to whine! 

I often tell my sound crew that, "I WOULD RATHER HEAR NO MIC AT ALL THAN HEAR FEEDBACK".   So they should be prepared at all times to kill that offending mic, (or even kill the Masters if necessary - in a worst-case panic situation).  Yes, cutting off a microphone mid-song is bad...but having the "suspension of disbelief" smashed by screeching feedback is even worse!  Besides, an actor should be able to PROJECT.  Yes, our little kids might have small lungs and no stage experience, but a sound system is only intended for about 20% ENHANCEMENT of acoustical voices - for clarity sake - not for delivering 100% of the singing.   Hey, this is theatre, after all, not radio! 

So if little kids are incapable of projecting their voices in a standard proscenium theatre without the crutch of technology, then hey, maybe we need to re-think the mission statement of our youth theatre programs.  Maybe kids aren't ready to fill a big hall.  Maybe our "kiddie shows" should be staged in a Studio Theatre or other small "Found Spaces".  This is an issue that I deal with for 10 kid shows a year around here.  Just last month I reluctantly gave-in to a Director's demand to put my $750.00 Countrymen earset mics on all 8 kids in a 4th grade production of "Grinch, the Musical"!   None of the mics got broken.  Whew!

So anyway, back to your particular floor mic situation.  I use the same Crown PCC area mics that you do, I bet.  But you must remember that each mic will pick up about a 20' wide area, so don't place them too close together or you'll get echoing, phasing or feedback.  My proscenium arch is 40' wide, so I put one floor mic mid-SL and one mid-SR, at the lip of the pit.  That way, my sound operator, (who is also a young kid), can bring up his right mic for a stage-left scene or his left mic for a stage-right scene.  We only bring up both floor mics if the entire cast is singing a big number.   And even then, you have to remember that the leads have all their body mics operating as well.   So there is some finesse involved here.  By the way, I usually don't place a floor mic center-stage on the apron because, generally, directors will put their lead actors center - and leads already wear lots of wireless mics. 

Technically, the way that a Floor Microphone works is that it uses the actual wood boards in your stage floor as it's own "pick-up membrane".  This is good, because it picks up a lot of "bounce" from the voices of our short little kids.  But, the drawback is that your sound crew has to watch out for too much stomping near the mics during dance numbers.  Another precaution is to keep kids from stepping on the floor mic itself - or it's wires.  Because a condenser mic uses Phantom Power, and when you step on the plug, the electrical connection will pop very loudly...once again shattering the suspension of disbelief...or some eardrums!  Another pitfall of floor mics is that they inevitably pick up "bleed-over" from your pit orchestra.  So don't mount them too close to the edge of the pit...or if you must, then install some kind of "back shield" as a sound barricade. 

Traditionally, floor mics and body mics are really only needed for musicals - to overcome the powerful pit orchestra.  If you are doing a straight play, you shouldn't need them.  Although sometimes I'll put a single floor mic center for a Shakespeare play in order to get a tad more verbal clarity, (and to send voices into my radio Headphones for the Hearing Impaired).

When using mics of any kind, your sound crew needs to pay attention to the stage constantly.  If two actors stand close to each other, or hug, then fade both body mics a little, or maybe cut one of them off, to avoid phasing or overkill.   And if a chorus person needs to deliver just one line of vocals with your lead, rather than using a floor mic here, try to pick up that chorus kid by boosting the wireless mic on your lead actor.  Always kill body mics whenever actors exit.  And if the leads are the only ones on stage, then why not kill those unneeded floor mics.  

Just go ahead and make it a general rule to kill the floor mics whenever the chorus is not singing.  This will cut down on the amount of time where feedback is possible.  Plus it will remove that "muddy" echo sound you get when TOO MANY mics are on at once.  When someone suggests, "hey guys, we need more mics", remember that "more" is not always the best answer.  Because having too many hot mics can cause impedence, audio phasing issues and annoying feedback.   And from personal experience, too much conflicting "sound pressure" from the band and speaker system in the contained atmosphere of the building can give people in the balcony a splitting headache! 

And beware!  Your sound board should NEVER, EVER be situated in a "sound booth"!  In fact there is no such thing as a "sound booth" in live theatre..."light booth", yes...but not a sound booth.  The only reason schools put the mixer in a booth is for security, so it doesn't get fiddled with or stolen.  Go to a Broadway musical or a big rock concert and you'll see the giant sound board IN THE HOUSE...(obstructing lots of nice balcony seats!) 

"Sound booths" are used in television studios, where 100% of the desired output comes through the system to the audience.  But like I said before, only the top 20% of the stage actor's voice should be expected to come through your speakers - for extra clarity.  The other 80% should be acoustic sound from your actor's mouth to your patron's ears.  Our "fourth wall" is not glass, like it is in television, so the theatre audience needs to be hearing a great deal of live sound from the actors.  If not, then you've got to have the courage as Director to walk up to the pit and tell your conductor to "play softer".   (By the way, professional musicians have the skill to play softer, but young musician just don't have the experience yet).

So anyway, be sure that your Mixer and your Board Operator are in the house with the audience.  Because if your board is in a booth with flat walls, glass windows, and monitor speakers, then you are NOT hearing what the audience is hearing.  So how can you set the levels properly?!  And to be frank, the audience payed the big bucks to see and hear their grandkids sing!...not to hear pit music or painful feedback.

My main advice for a good show is to take the time in pre-production to write up a very detailed SOUND CUE SHEET for your crew and a WIRELESS MIC ASSIGNMENT SHEET for your actors. 

I always have 3 kids on my sound crew:

1)  The Board Operator, who has both ears open to hear what the audience is hearing.  Yes, he can use the Headphones to monitor mic levels from time to time, but he should NEVER wear the Intercom Headsets.  This background chatter will just distract him!  (I have his assistant wear the  Intercom Headsets; see below).   

The Operator should be sharp and on the ball at all times...riding the levels and anticipating the next entrances.   He needs to anticipate every entrance so he won't "clip" the first two words of every line!  (Argh! That's a major pet peeve of mine!)  And like I said, he should "play the mixer like a piano" to eliminate the problems before the audience ever knows...and before that dreaded feedback ever happens.   

The entire show is on this Operator's shoulders, so he (or she) needs to be mature, competent, and able to work under pressure.  If the microphone on your lead actor suddenly dies, then he has to quickly "fix it on the fly" by boosting another actor's mic or by boosting the nearest floor mic to cover for it.  If a sound cue gets screwed up, he needs to avoid chatting about it with others.  Because, as I like to say, "this show is a freight train running - there's no time to stress about a mistake or you'll just make another!"

2)  The Prompter sits right beside the Operator with a well-marked script in hand(My Stage Manager sits in the Light Booth and she is far too busy with light cues and fly cues to call out dozens of individual microphone cues).    The Prompter has Warning Cues and Stand-by Cues marked for every entrance and for every song.  His job is to "elbow" the Operator before every cue.  (And to remind him to kill off-stage body mics so the audience doesn't accidentally hear dirty gossip about other actors!)   He wears the intercom headset on one ear so he can receive SF/X cues from the Stage Manager.  (I instruct my Prompter to be incharge of loading SF/X in the CD player or booting up effects on his Laptop).   The Prompter also uses his headset to get urgent "trouble messages" from my Mic Runner, (see below). 

The student who was my Prompter for my recent high school production of "Les Miserable School Edition" gets my "Most Valuable Crew Member Award" this year!  He ran a flawless show.  I told the Director, "of our 23 crew members, including the Turntable Operator, the Prompter was our unsung hero".   Because he kept his nose in the script at all times and kept one ear on the flow of the show.  He gave those critical warnings to the Operator who already had his hands full with 24 channels of body and floor mics. 

So, while this "Prompter" position may be a thankless job to recruit a kid to do, it is invaluable to the running of a clean show.  In the bigger picture, this Prompter kid is my apprentice for being my Operator next season, as kids graduate to the next level.

3)  The Mic Runner generally stays backstage to assist the actors with troublesome body mics.  He jumps on headset backstage whenever there is trouble, and talks with the Prompter in order to troubleshoot bad wiring, bad frequencies, or dead batteries.  He carries fresh batteries and some transparent medical tape. 

Before the house opens, the Runner rigs each lead actor with body mics.  We use waist pouches with adjustable velcro straps around the body, (because the fragile radio belt packs will invariably fall on the floor during a show if you rely on the little belt clips that come with them).  He makes sure the Countrymen earset microphone is not too close to the actor's mouth...(so that we don't hear popping plosives, like the letters "b" and "p").  And he uses clear medical tape to secure earset mics to the cheeks of those young actors with tiny ears! 

Then, the Mic Runner gets all the lead actors to line up across the front of the apron to do a MIC CHECK.  This is done ten minutes before house opens, with the cast in full costume.  He makes sure that actors with Lavalier Mics are not covering or rubbing mics with their costumes, etc...   Actors are instructed to SING AN ACTUAL SONG FROM THE SHOW, AT ACTUAL VOLUME so that the Operator can pre-set realistic levels on the board.  I tell actors that if there is no lyrics that go "Testing, 1, 2, 3" in the show, then don't say it now during mic check!!! 

The other important job of the Mic Runner is to help with mic changes between actors DURING the show.  Generally, our leads keep their mics for the entire show.  But there are always supporting players with only one solo who briefly need a mic.  So the Runner will pull the mic off one soloists as soon as she exits and rig it up to the next soloist ASAP.  It is important that all mics are NUMBERED, and that the numbers are clearly marked under each Fader on the Mixer.  Actors are instructed not to exhange mics on their own...(or else the Operator might bring up a hot mic on an actor that is in the bathroom!..it's happened!!!)   Also beware that sneaky actors will cut off their Mute Switch so they can have intimate conversations backstage without the Operator listening in on headphones using the "Pre-Fade" button.  In this situation, Murphy's Law invariably strikes!  The actor returns to the stage and forgets to un-mute his mic!!!  Then who does the Director blame?...the sound crew, of course!   So be sure that only the crew touches the mics, not the actors.

As with all technical positions, being on Sound Crew requires a lot of on-the-job training.  So my Mic Runner is usually my apprentice for the Prompter job next season, and so on.

With these 3 dedicated techies on the ball, you should have a clean show.  Although, I must admit, for most elementary and middle school musicals, I do hire a local sound dude to sit behind the sound crew.   He gives critical over-the-shoulder coaching...at least during the Tech Rehearsal, First Dress with Orchestra, and maybe Opening Night.  Having this professional technician sitting up there at the Board frees me up to "put out fires" on stage with sloppy set changes, dangerous fly cues, and complicated light cues.  He's worth the money.

Well, sorry to drone on so long.  I hope some of this helps.  Sorry if I sounded to "preachy" about these sound issues.  (KEEP IN MIND THAT I AM NOT A SOUND EXPERT).  I just had to learn a lot of this stuff the hard way!  

Break a Leg...(not an eardrum!)  Wink   -Dana

IP IP Logged
75director
Celebrity
Celebrity

Quote 75director Replybullet Posted: 3/13/09 at 12:27pm
Agreed at the terrific post from Mr. Lowell.  I'm a light guy who has been "forced" into doing sound work that description was great!!  I especially love the comment, "but a sound system is only intended for about 20% ENHANCEMENT of acoustical voices - for clarity sake - not for delivering 100% of the singing.   Hey, this is theatre, after all, not radio! "

Very true IMO singers and actors have become more and more spoiled and dependent on mics to do all the work for them.  But that's just me as a lighting guy and actor with a huge set of lungs on him, talking.  "Sing out Louise!" LOL
IP IP Logged
David McCall
Celebrity
Celebrity

Quote David McCall Replybullet Posted: 5/25/09 at 10:02pm
Directors must learn to cast kids that can project , at least a little. Diction counts too. If some kids project and others don't then it becomes a very complex mix. If someone that can project walks over to a mumbler, then the guy that can project comes in on the mumbler's mic.

We just did a show with mics on the edge of the stage and wireless on 2 kids that couldn't cut it. The trick is to not run the kids with mics louder than the kids that don't have them.
David M
IP IP Logged
TimmyP1955
Lead
Lead

Quote TimmyP1955 Replybullet Posted: 1/02/10 at 1:59pm
Never give the actors foldback.

1) If they can't hear themselves or each other on the stage, how in the world are the audience ever going to hear them?  (If they cannot hear themselves/each other over the music, the music is too loud.)

2) Once they hear themselves through artificial means, their projection goes to pot.  This creates a vicious circle.  (This problem applies to narrators and lecturers as well - and even some rock singers.)
IP IP Logged
Bruce Bartlett
Walk-On
Walk-On

Quote Bruce Bartlett Replybullet Posted: 1/22/11 at 12:44pm
Mr. Lowell's post is full of great advice. If you want to add a baffle behind a floor microphone to improve rejection of the pit orchestra, here is an article about it. You can load the pdf file, then scroll down to the article on baffles.

http://www.bartlettmics.com/newsletter/newsletter 10-10.pdf

http://www.bartlettmics.com
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version