Print Page | Close Window

Does your theater pay?

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: About the Community Theater Green Room
Forum Name: Polls
Forum Discription: Registered members can create polls of their own and vote in posted polls.
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=965
Printed Date: 4/23/24 at 8:59am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Does your theater pay?
Posted By: Chris Polo
Subject: Does your theater pay?
Date Posted: 3/29/04 at 5:46pm
Since this is one of those topics that comes up on a regular basis, we thought we'd go ahead and post it as a poll.

-------------
Chris Polo
Visit Community Theater Green Room Originals at www.cafepress.com/ctgr
"The scenery in the play was beautiful, but the actors got in front of it." -- Alexander Woolcott

Replies:
Posted By: jtonner
Date Posted: 4/09/04 at 10:36am

We normally pay our Music/Vocal Director and the orchestra.  The remaining members of the staff and the actors are not paid.

John

-------------
John

Posted By: NickCharles3
Date Posted: 5/04/04 at 3:06pm

We have several paid positions at our community theater.  We have the following positions:

Managing Director: Salaried position whose salary is partially reimbursed by a grant from our city's cultural council.

Education Director: Salaried position whose salary is acquired by our children's theater/camp.  Additional profits are used to maintain the theater expenses.

Directors:  All play directors are paid a stipend of $200.00 according to our policy and procedure manual.  Most directors have used this to pay for a cast party. These payments are managed by our Managing Director, although recently, it was discovered by the Board, that certain directors have been compensated at a much higher rate.  It was understandable for a Musical Director, but this also occurred when comparing apples to apples so to speak.

Musicians:  Generally pay the minimal fee allowed, and accepted.

Note:  We also had a paid part-time technical director, who has since resigned, but this position caused our theater to lose several volunteers who were treated very poorly by the Technical Director.

Hope this helps some individuals.

Nick Charles

Posted By: Kathy S
Date Posted: 1/28/05 at 12:38am

We pay no one.  Our theatre is run entirely with volunteers.

Posted By: Scott B
Date Posted: 1/30/05 at 1:40pm

A small theatre group just north of here pays the director $500 per show.  They also seem to pay a stipend to the lighting and set people as well as the musical director/orchestra.

Especially in a small community; why is it that people have to be paid?  I realize that sometimes if you need a good orchestra or piano/bass, whatever, that they may not have the same level of interest as everyone else.  But the directors??? Many of them are the same ones that serve on the board and end up either acting in the show or are at least in other shows.

My advice to any new theatre group in a smaller town would be to try your darnedest to find people that don't mind giving you their time.  To me ... that's what community theatre should be.

Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 1/30/05 at 10:22pm

That group must have it's own gold mine?

Although in another life, I was asked to Direct a revue professionally. So considering they were a community group, I only charged them $1 per minute - for the duration time, it took to perform the show, I think it was about $60 for the whole job.

As compared to community theatre, I was treated totally different & with a new respect & attitude by everyone concerned, it was great & weird!

So I think our attitude does take on a more filtered personal response, when we deal with professionals & not just one of the troupes!

So from the Groups point of view, I don?t think it is a big drawback, but rather a renewal of amateur values for everyone.

Having said that, paying someone can run away with the gold & get out of hand very easily.

I tend to believe that we should be encouraging members from within, to try their hands, while only allowing perdiums only, to cross their palms!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: JamesG
Date Posted: 5/16/05 at 8:50pm
I personally never get paid, nor do any of my fellow actors and actresses.  Certain members of the production staff, since some of the tech guys are hired, will receive payment.  Everything else goes towards paying for props, costumes, and other operating costs.

-------------
James

Posted By: tristanrobin
Date Posted: 5/17/05 at 8:22am
Our troupe pays $1,000 to the director and music/vocal director
(if a musical), who also must be capable of serving as
conductor for performances; $500 for choreographer; we
usually have 2/3 professional musicians in the orchestra/pit
band who receive scale, and the rest is filled out with
volunteers; all set, costume, prop, lighting crew are volunteer;
all actors are volunteer.

Our salaries are covered by several grants - a decent one from
the Council on the Arts and three corporate grants.

We produce two musicals, three straight plays, and one
evening of one-acts. Our ticket sales cover general expenses,
so we don't have to dip into grant money to cover them
(usually). If one of our plays is selected to go to the state theatre
festival/competition, the travel expenses are underwritten by a
corporate grant whenever possible - and the staff/cast always
volunteer their time for that period.

Posted By: dougb
Date Posted: 5/17/05 at 11:06am
While we do not pay anyone associated with a production, if we ever did a musical, I think we would end up paying the musicians a stipend.  $200 to $400 seems to be the going rate.

Posted By: jtonner
Date Posted: 5/20/05 at 6:10pm

We pay the Music Director, Orchestra and sometimes, the choreographer for a musical.  No one on a straight show.

John

-------------
John

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 10/14/05 at 6:33pm
I am a high school teacher.  I get paid to teach my sixth-hour, UC Prep Theatre Arts course.  One of the requirements to taking the course is participating in at least 1 show that requires rehearsal and performance time outside of class time.  I don't get paid to direct/produce the show. (We rent the costumes, but I'm in charge of everything else.)  I donate that time to the school and the students (we're small and private).  Am I crazy?  --Yes, but aren't we all?

-------------

Posted By: tristanrobin
Date Posted: 10/14/05 at 8:34pm
I donated my time to the students MANY years ago.

But when I realized that EVERY OTHER extracurricular activity
was paid (football coaches, basketball coaches, swimming
coaches, debating team coaches, cheerleading coaches,
baseball coaches, etc. ad nauseum), I put my foot down. No
more free stuff. Over the next fifteen years, my salary for plays
went up substantially. But - like all teaching positions - if you
actually counted the hours up that were spent on the
production, it was probably on par with dropping the fry baskets
at Burger King LOL. However - it was the principle of the thing.
Heck - they are the ones who insist that I invest in a masters
degree to teach this program - why should I not get the return
on my investment that every other school position receives?

I think it's very important that the arts - and their TEACHERS -
are treated with the same respect as every other activity in a
school system.

Posted By: MartyW
Date Posted: 10/18/05 at 8:44am

I belong to five different CT's. A few pay, most don't.  Of the ones that pay the most consitant one has a pay schedule as follows:

Director (straight play) $300  (Musical) $400

Producer (straight play) $300 (Musical) $400

Music Director $400

Rehearsal Pianist $250

Choreographer $200

Orchestra Member $175

As for whether they should or not, I don't care one way or the other.  I do what I do for the fun of it. (although you won't see me NOT take the check when its offered)

Posted By: Maggie Y?
Date Posted: 8/29/06 at 9:51am
Our group has paid the rehearsal pianist. We struggled with the concept,
because once that door is opened, is can be difficult to justify the non-
payment of others. Our thoughts were 1) The rest of us have day jobs
and doing theatre is something different. For the rehearsal pianist, she
gave private lessons and our rehearsal time overlapped with prime time
for piano lessons. It wasn't enough money to compare to her self-
employment, but it was a recognition that she was working. 2) Rehearsal
pianist is more of a non-glam job, without the audience recognition.   3)
We were desperate and we needed to count on someone. More of a
pragmatic rather than an ethical decision.

Posted By: Nanette
Date Posted: 9/07/06 at 11:12am

The last theatre for whom I worked designing and sewing costumes didn't even give me a "thank you".  

Before that I was paid $200 per show for my work.  I would have done it for free for that theatre because they were such a great group ... enthusiastic, cooperative, etc. ... quite a pleasure to work for. 

-------------
In a world of margarine, be butter!

Posted By: castMe
Date Posted: 9/09/06 at 9:35am
My biggest complaint thru the years has been the concept of paying the musicians.  They come in about a week before we open and begin to learn the show and then walk off with a nice check after the cast has worked on these things for 20 or 12 weeks or more.  I hadn't really thought about it until a musician mentioned to me one day how unfair he felt it was.  When I asked why the musicians were paid, I was told, "Well, these folks are turning down paying gigs on show nights, so the only way we can get an orchestra is to offer money." Fine.....great....OK, but what about the high school girl in the show who works at McDonald's?  She's missing a paying "gig" throughout the whole rehearsal period and run of the show.  Why is her money any less important?  Those musicians are picking up additional income to their "day jobs", while high school girl is trying to make some extra money for college. 
I'm not angry about this inconsistancy, but it filtered down at one point to a scenic designer who approached me one day and asked if I had a designer for my next production.  "No, not yet, are you interested?" "Why, yes I am.  I make $500 per show." "Wonderful", I replied.  "Where did you receive your theatrical training?" "Why, I didn't go to school for this, I picked it up along the way and decided after attending a number of productions last year that I could do this too."  "Good luck to you", I said "I wish you luck. To my knowledge no local theaters pay their scenic designers for non-musical, box sets, and I personnally would never pay anyone with no experience who isn't trained at least as much as I am."

Don't really know what any of that means, but that conversation was ages ago and it still rankles when I recall it.  No that I've written it all down I can let it go.   Deep breath     Ahhhhhhhh   much better

-------------
Investigate. Imagine. Choose.

Posted By: GoldCanyonLady
Date Posted: 9/09/06 at 4:13pm
No one gets paid for anything. We are strictly volunteers and love it.
Barb

-------------
Barb Hofmeister,
MountainBrook Village Players, Gold Canyon, Arizona.

Posted By: eveharrington
Date Posted: 9/16/06 at 2:13am
Performers are only paid in special situations, like if we have to bring in someone that is not involved with the group to play a specific instrument or something. And we have to pay the venue for a bartender when we do a bar but they don't really count I guess. We never pay actors, directors, or crew.

-------------
"If nothing else, there's applause... like waves of love pouring over the footlights."

Posted By: red diva
Date Posted: 9/25/06 at 2:44pm

I belong to one of the same theatres as MartyW, and wanted to add a little to what he reported.  I've been around this group for 34 years, and when I first started no-one was "paid" (we preferred to call it a "stipend" or "honorarium").  A member who was getting his degree in theatre (this would have been in about 1978-79) and who has since gone on to teach/direct in academic circles insisted that we would attract a more informed, talented, experienced group of directors if we offered them money.  Several others and I argued that this was a dangerous precedent to set, and wondered where it would all stop.

Shift to present day.  The money didn't attract a whole new group of directors (3 of our 5 directors this past season are the same ones that were directing 28 years ago) and now we also "pay" the producer, music director, choreographer, musicians....and one of the usual set builders has started to campaign for payment.  Indeed, where does it all end?  And what did the money accomplish?

-------------
"I've worked long and hard to earn the right to be called Diva!"

Posted By: MartyW
Date Posted: 10/03/06 at 10:45am

Just to keep it between the yellow lines... On Diva's message, she is so right on where does it end... BUT, (and only because it matters to her and me and not to most of you) it was a set dresser that desires payment, the builders and to a same degree that dresser really only wanted what we all want in a way.  To be appreciated.. I think we often fall short in appreciating those around us.. Particularly in C.T. and particularly those who do our tech... I think all of us need to find more ways to make people feel appreciated and to say thank you...  Might sound like a small, even petty thing, but it is just like giving medals in the Army... We say "Great job, thank you for risking your life.. Here is a medal, go do it again next week"  Same concept with people who do the "work" of the theater.. If you don't say thank you sometimes, they just seem to go away... Where all this pay stuff comes from is when we turn around and they are all gone, we resort to the wallet, when we should have been appealing to the soul...

Thank a Techie.. (or anyone else that makes it possible)

-------------
Marty W

"Till next we trod the boards.."

Date Posted: 10/03/06 at 4:43pm

Up until a few years ago, a "token of appreciation" was always given at the cast party.....sometimes (depending on the individual/position) a very nice token!  They were usually purchased by the director, though as time went along the producer usually had the privilege of procuring gifts for the tech staff.  These gifts were purchased with funds out of the director's/producer's pocket, willingly and with great joy and enjoyment in the choosing.  A lot of thought and work went into these gifts (very often handcrafted by the director/producer), and they were frequently chosen with the individual actor/tech person in mind. The cast usually took up a collection (small amount from each cast member/tech person) to buy the director and producer an appropriate and heartfelt gift.  To me, (as an actor, techie, and director) this kind of "pay" means a lot more than a set amount voted impersonally by the Board.  I always took great pride and pleasure in receiving such a gift, and even more pride and pleasure in creating, buying and giving it.

In recent years, this tradition has continued with some people, but many of those involved in the shows have ceased to attend the cast parties, and so are not there to receive verbal thanks and this token at the traditional time.  This time at the cast parties was always referred to as "humility hour", and was looked forward to throughout the whole production. 

Yes, I agree that appreciation also needs to be given on a continuing basis throughout the rehearsal period and not just at the cast party. I agree that not enough of that happens. But isn't it a shame that we consider money to be the most important kind of "thank you"?  It has become so impersonal that it is almost pointless. A lot of the heart, comraderie, and warmth has gone out of the theatre group.

I have been both on stage and backstage, as dresser, props designer, sound, lights, director, etc., and I have to say that I have never felt slighted in the least.  There always has been someone to thank me for my efforts, and even to compliment me on what I have done.  As a matter of fact, I have often received more feedback (except for applause, of course) on my backstage work than for being onstage.  Applause from the audience is wonderful, but thank yous are very seldom given to the actors by the tech people or theatre members for the time-intensive efforts that they have put in.

I agree with you totally about support and thanks for ALL members of the theatre effort. I know that we all need to make more of an effort to do so, and if I am unknowingly at fault, I do apologize to anyone that I may have slighted. But why is money the be-all, end-all solution to this problem?

Sorry for the ramble, but this is a very emotional topic for me.  I feel that it causes more rancor than it solves, dealing with who to pay, how much to pay, etc.

-------------

Posted By: kiwiholly
Date Posted: 10/04/06 at 4:02am
Hey, I'm new here (been reading for awhile, but only just joined). I'm 19 and have been with a community theatre in Christchurch, New Zealand since I was 14.

The cast and crew of most plays don't get paid, although sometimes we hire musicians for our musical and they get paid a small amount.

Posted By: suzecue1
Date Posted: 10/04/06 at 8:54am

Straight stage productions, no one is paid. Musicals, we sometimes will pay the musicians.  $500 to the Music director, and pit band members each get $100 for the run of rehearsals and shows. Pretty much just gas money.

We also produce 2 - 2 week children's theatre workshops in the summer. One for 1st - 8th grade, and one for 9th - 12th. The teaching staff and administrators are paid $700.00 per workshop. I kept track of my hours one year, and figured I made about $1 per hour.  

-------------
Sue
So many hats.....so few heads!

Date Posted: 10/04/06 at 11:57am

Just an addendum to my post above:  because we (and most of the other community theatres) in Ohio belong to OCTA (Ohio Community Theatre Organization), we are not permitted, per their by-laws, to pay any actor in a member organization's production.  Theatres are perfectly within their rights to pay actors, but then they are not permitted to join OCTA, which offers many benefits to its member theatres.

-------------

Posted By: jdlewallen
Date Posted: 1/21/07 at 1:41pm

Both of the theatres that I work in have paid staff: our local playhouse has an Artistic Director, and two Educational Directors (who work with the student groups and teach the theatre classes/camps), while the other theatre has an Artistic Director and a Resident Artist (who is his wife!), both of whom are Equity members.  I believe Directors and other consultants receive stipends at both, but I don't know how much exactly.

The only paying gig I have had was the Shakespeare festival at the second theatre.  They bring in one or two Equity actors every year for the lead roles, along with a guest director, and everyone in the show actually made some money on a sliding scale.  I made about $150 for that gig, though when you compare it to the hours spent in rehearsal, I think I made about a nickel an hour!!  LOL  Oh, well...it was cool to actually receive a paycheck for my passion - more an acknowledgment than real renumeration, but at least I can say I have been PAID to act!!!Big%20smile

-------------
"Every theatre is an insane asylum..." ---Franz Schalk (1863-1931)

Posted By: teridtiger
Date Posted: 1/21/07 at 2:58pm
While we don't pay production staff for a show, we do have a part-time contracted Reservationist who is paid.

Posted By: Helena
Date Posted: 3/07/07 at 11:08am
We do not pay any of people involved with the production of our shows.

In the past we have had directors of musicals who wanted to pay the pianist and the musicians.  While I certainly appreciate their talents and time, none of them are professionals and they have day jobs just like the rest of us... so I have always opposed paying them when the rest of the cast is just as talented and gives up 12 weeks of their lives to rehearse and perform (instead of the three the pit gives).

We did once pay the set builders of a multi-level set that had to be made in a hurry, that was an emergancy situation. 

-------------
"..that's farce, that's theater, that's life"

Posted By: bbpchick
Date Posted: 7/18/07 at 9:20pm
We actually don't pay anyone.  It's stated in our bylaws that we can't.  So everything is voluenteer (much to my husband's chagrin lol).  No one gets paid ever.

-------------
Kendra
http://www.murphysblackbartplayer.com - www.murphysblackbartplayers.com
You are NEVER too old to dress up!

Posted By: Lima
Date Posted: 11/26/07 at 8:05pm
Our director is also a teacher at my HS, so he gets paid for that. I don't think they separate it into the time he's teaching and the time he's directing, though.

I have no idea whether the Tech Director gets paid. I- don't think so? He's a DJ when he's not TD-ing, so I think he doesn't get paid.

And, of course, being students, the actors/crew don't get paid. Well, the professional pit orchestra we get for the musicals to augment our own sad little orchestra does, but I don't think it's much.

And our acting coach is a nun, so she's a volunteer for sure.

Posted By: mary051756
Date Posted: 2/01/08 at 7:16am
I work with two theater groups - a non-prift Middle school and as youth director for a Professional Theater company - the non-profit does not pay anyone - the Professional Theater Company pays me and the band - but it's a nominal fee!

-------------
“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” EMERSON

Posted By: SpenceKenzer
Date Posted: 2/12/09 at 11:54am
Our CT is entirely run by unpaid volunteers, with only ONE exception.

Occasionally our CT engages an actor or a director who is a member of Actors' Equity, and we are obliged to pay the fees required by Equity.

Most of the Equity fees go to the actor/director; our CT requests that he/she donates his/her entire fee back to our CT.  Since our CT is a registered non-profit organization and a registered charity, we can provide the Equity actor/director with a charitable donation receipt for income tax purposes.

However, some of the Equity fees go only to Equity.  We consider these part of the expenses budget for that particular show.

We usually engage an Equity actor 2 to 4 times per year.  We usually engage an Equity director about once every other year. 

-------------
--------------------<*>
Saludos, my dahlinks, and you know who you are ... !

Posted By: jcf0mtr
Date Posted: 3/30/09 at 9:56am
Music Director, orchestra, and a Director Honorarium

-------------
Joe
Pembroke Pines Theatre of the Performing Arts

Posted By: lparks
Date Posted: 6/02/10 at 1:21pm
We usually engage an Equity director about once every other year.

Are you sure about that? There are no equity Stage Directors. I think you mean "Society of Stage Directors and Choreography" perhaps?

-------------
Landon Parks,
Producing Artistic Director,
Bloomington Repertory Theatre Co

Posted By: SpenceKenzer
Date Posted: 6/02/10 at 4:07pm
In Canada, Canadian Actors' Equity Association (CAEA, or usually just "Equity") represents stage actors, directors, choreographers, and stage managers.

I gather from your note that this is not the case in the U.S.A.

-------------
--------------------<*>
Saludos, my dahlinks, and you know who you are ... !

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info