Print Page | Close Window

Breaking tradition

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Producing Theater
Forum Name: Directing
Forum Discription: For questions about handling shows, actors, crew, board members, children ...or do we repeat ourselves?
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=964
Printed Date: 5/04/24 at 4:29pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Breaking tradition
Posted By: Guests
Subject: Breaking tradition
Date Posted: 3/29/04 at 5:41pm

I was wondering if other directors have the same problem that I have with the tradition of having the director come up on stage after the closing performance? It seems that it is happening with every show. I appreciate the gesture, but I am becoming increasingly uncomfortable dealing with an emotional cast in front of  hundreds of people. (The cast of my show that closed yesterday were mostly new actors and they were all crying.) It has become so much of a tradition that it seems everyone who worked on the show wants to be thanked in front of the closing audience. First of all I feel bad for the audience having to sit through it because they don't know most of the people. I don't want to prepare a speech because that seems tacky. But invariably I forget to thank someone on the set crew or acknowledge a volunteer then there are hurt feelings. I always prepare a funny speech and have little thank you gifts and pictures for everyone that worked on the show at the cast party. I would love to skip the part where I am hauled up on stage and leave the gift giving and thanking till the cast party. Any ideas of how I could go about breaking the tradition without looking like a don't appreciate them.

Linda

Replies:
Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 3/29/04 at 7:42pm
Linda - Drop kick IT out the exit!!!
Having been hatched in theatre! -  In fact the tradition is that the only thing that happens after the final ?House Rag? is In. Is that the ?Bump out? starts!
The Company thank you bit,  is for them as a whole & private! Nothing to do with the punters. You leave that for very special occasions which happens once in a blue fit!
Even the Royal Performance presentations are held backstage behind the Rag.
Unfortunately once this practice creeps in, it takes over! - next they will want to hold drawing raffles in front of the bums on seats.
Kill IT off at the start of rehearsals as quick as you can.
Best of luck Linda.
Joe

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: Chris Polo
Date Posted: 3/29/04 at 9:58pm

We had a similar tradition: the curtain speech before the show, where the director came out and made a little speech to the audience before the curtain went up, welcoming them to the theater and pointing out the locations of the restrooms and the theater exits in case of fire. I was told that it was required because the fire marshal said we HAD to point out the exits (which were marked with lighted signs visible from every seat in the house, with backup batteries in case the electricity went out), but I eventually learned that wasn't true (doh -- probably dated from the early days when they didn't have the signs). To me it always felt like the real purpose was to allow the director to get out there, enjoy a moment of glory, and make sure everybody in the audience knew who they were so they would receive proper recognition in the lobby after the show. On the one hand, it's a very nice gesture to the volunteer director, who usually works harder than anybody. On the other hand, at least to me, it felt like an excruciating bit of self-promotion, and I hated every second of it (especially pointing out the bathrooms). Worst of all, it seemed to emphasize that this was an AMATEUR theater production. Once I found out that the fire marshall didn't require us to point out the exits, I stopped doing them, explaining that I'd worked very hard to create a professional-quality production, and then I ruined that professionalism by walking out and telling everyone I directed the thing ("hey everybody, look at ME!") and that the bathrooms were down the hall. Turned out other directors felt the same way; a few others stopped making them, and eventually they died away, except for the occasional emergency situation (technical difficulties or a replacement in the cast).

Forcing an audience to sit through an orgy of self-congratulations after a performance is not very considerate of those who paid you good money for what they were probably hoping was going to be a professional-quality production. And the audience already knows who worked on the show -- that's what the program's for. It's not the audience's place to thank everyone personally by acknowledging and applauding them as their names are called out; that's for the director to do after the show at the cast party.

(Now I'm sure I've offended everyone who makes curtain speeches -- if you like 'em, more power to you, but I hope I never have to do another one!)

-------------
Chris Polo
Visit Community Theater Green Room Originals at www.cafepress.com/ctgr
"The scenery in the play was beautiful, but the actors got in front of it." -- Alexander Woolcott

Date Posted: 3/29/04 at 11:25pm
I agree Chris!
  The performance that you have offered to do.  Becomes a contractual  agreement, when the BOS?s accept your offer & buy a ticket.  Therefore the contract has not been completed &/or satisfied, until the last BOS has cleared the house!
Further you are  not destroying the  magical illusion of theatre - that you have sweated so long to achieve!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 3/31/04 at 10:10am
We never do it. Won't allow it. I agree with all Chris said. We have a curtain speech at intermission as we thank our sponsors, make announcements about upcoming auditions and shows and then have a raffle for two-free admissions -- our way of getting new folks on our mailing list. The audiences at our shows don't even know who the director is, and that's the way I like it!

Date Posted: 3/31/04 at 1:04pm

Thank you for the suggestions. I have managed to get rid of the pre-show speeches by staging my productions so that there was no room for them. Tricky in a couple of cases, but now those are gone. We have beautiful signs on easels asking people to turn off their cell phones and letting them know about intermission. The problem that I have with the last show thank yous is that the cast plans it as a surprise. After 30 years and 100's of shows, I am not surprised anymore. But I feel ungrateful saying. "Please don't thank me in front the audience." That I am not grateful is far from the truth. I am so thrilled that people actually volunteer to be involved in a show that I am directing, I am practically giddy. I just don't want to go up on stage after that last performance. I think I am going to try talking to a couple of people in the next cast that I have known for awhile about it. Maybe they can influence the rest of the company. If that doesn't work, I am seriously considering hiding out in the ladies room. I love it when the audience has no idea who I am.

Joe, I read your response through a couple of times. I think I am getting the hang of the lingo.

Linda

Date Posted: 3/31/04 at 6:08pm

Bewdy Linda your ?strine? ability will increase - without you knowing it!

I believe there is a radio frequency device that you can switch on to interfere with cellular signals?
Never had to go to  the extent of signs on the Teasers or Pro as yet! - but a worthwhile idea, I hope it works?.

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 3/31/04 at 7:22pm

"Arh! - Tradition? ?..

Without our tradition we?d be just like a ??Like a ?..

Fiddler on the  roof!"

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: slicksister
Date Posted: 4/01/04 at 11:16pm
Oh, It's going to let me post a reply. I've been trying for 3 days.  Ok so let me get on with it.  This is a tough habit to break. The small theatre company I belonged to had pre show announcements as well as Closing Night Director call.  After a few shows I just made sure there were announcements in the pragram in bold print about cell phones, fire exits etc and that pretty much took care of that until for 2 nights in a row someone's phone rang during the show and they got up and answered it and excused me, excuse me'd themselves all the way out of the theatre talking on the phone the whole time!  The producers MADE us make a live announcement after that.  This was a very small theatre like yours Chris, only 89 seats so needless to say it was very disruptive. The Closing night Director on Stage" fiasco is something I put a stop to one time at our first read thru.  I have a list of Rehearsal Guidelines and Theatre Ettiquitte (How DO you spell that word?) that I give to everyone and I go over it with the whole group. Opening and Closing night procedures are on there - as well as things like no flushing toilets during the show and other various things.  I never had to  get up on stage with the audience present again! 

-------------
The Main Thing is to Keep the Main Thing the Main Thing

Date Posted: 4/02/04 at 8:40pm

Just to relate a story I was told years ago.
When I first arrived on my own in the land of Oz. Being all knowing & able to take over the world with 2 ?Eveready ?batteries, having attained the ripe old age of 14.  I got a job backstage at The Maj ( His Majesty?s Theatre Perth).  One of the mechanists ?Wally Wombat? told me a story about old man Dawe, who in the early 90?s owned the theatre & the hotel built next to it.. In those days bars were only  allowed to serve alcohol from 10am to 10 pm Monday to Saturdays & for 2 Sunday sessions of 1 hour each, known as the ?Sunday Swill?. (that?s another story). No matter what was playing on stage at the time. - Every night right on cue at 9.45pm he would appear in the ?Gods?,  ring a handbell & shout loudly  "Time Gentlemen please!" to signify to the audience that they  had only 15 minutes to order there last drink from the bar. Of course the show would stop for his announcement & then carry on as though nothing had happened! According to ?Snuffy?,   the Head Lighting Tech,  oldman Dawe had it written in all the  contracts, the agreement to the announcement was a mandatory condition of hire - I they didn?t agree to this, they could go some where else & do their show! Apparently he had forcibly cancelled & closed a number of shows during their run. Because they had objected & tried to stop him making the announcement each night.
Thank heavens we have ?Restrictive Trade Practices? nowadays!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 4/02/04 at 8:45pm

Sorry!

That should be  -  the early 1900's - not the 90's

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 4/11/04 at 8:14pm
I'd say that if you're the director, simply say you're not doing it.  Our shows we have a very brief opening- welcome, bathrooms, exits, cell phones- it takes all of about 30 seconds.  At the end of the last night, it is the same as every other night- the actors bow, the lights on the house go up & we scatter to the winds- in our theater we clean up after ourselves so the actors rush back to change, then immediately are in the audience putting away chairs, helping put the stage away or set it up for another performance or take the light trees down, etc.  The final night we have a lot more work to do before we can get to the cast party so we want to get started quickly & have no time for speeches!  Save the speeches for the cast party & all will be happier!

Date Posted: 4/12/04 at 12:55am
On the rare occasion?s I have had to endure, some yoyo pointing out where the exits are & other such drivel! I always check for my seat belt & then - imagine an  air Hostess demonstrating the life jacket bit. - Which infinitely more entertaining!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 10/13/05 at 3:28pm

Opening safety and cellphone announcements--a necessity.  This usually falls in the realm of stage management duties.  I coach my stage manager so he doesn't sound horrible, and we write out scripts.  We even remind the audience to turn the cell phones off at the end of intermission--high schoolers can't get through 10 minutes without phoning or texting someone it seems.

I have seen opening announcements performed humorously by an actor--but I'm usually just happy to get my actors performing the script without writing something new for announcements as well.

The Closing Night Tradition--I wish it would stop.  We have a set to strike!  But, the cast feels this is the appropriate time to thank you for devoting the hours and gray hairs to them.  It brings them closure.  So, I walk backstage during the last few minutes of the play, wait to be called to the stage after the curtain call, and say a few words about how wonderful it was to work with these talented young people (which I usually mean from the bottom of my heart) and hug a few of them before closing it--in all about 2 extra minutes.  They usually present me with a gift and some flowers.  Sometimes parents who are here on closing night bring me gifts as well.  But then I announce to the cast to get out of costume in 15 minutes and report to me for strike assignments.  My crew and I start taking down something on-stage, so we have a reason to kick them offstage quickly.  If parents are hanging around to take their children home, remind them how long strike will take and that we'll call them when strike is over.  (By the way--inform all people who need to know about strike being mandatory, when it is scheduled, and how long it is expected to last.)

-------------

Posted By: tristanrobin
Date Posted: 10/13/05 at 4:11pm
I don't mind cell phone/photographs/exits 'speeches' - but
prefer them to be by the stage manager (or taped) over the
sound system.

If anybody tried to drag me onstage after a performance, I
would be horrified. And - as the director - there is no way they
could 'make' me do anything.

I don't see it happen much in theatres any more - but when I do
see it, all I can think of is the interminable choreographer/dance
teacher/stage crew calls after a particularly excrutiating dance
recital...it just seems so unbearably tacky and amateur (though
I wish there were a different word becaue I LOVE amateurs and
I don't like using the word as a negative adjective)

Posted By: Poppie
Date Posted: 10/14/05 at 10:14am

Gaafa,

I must confess that I have made such a speech.  I had to point out all the exits since we were in such an awkward space.  The audience entered from backstage, so they really shouldn't run that way in the dark in an emergency.  I was teased endlessley (for years) about looking like an airline hostess! 

On a side note, always write out a script for pre-show announcements.  My director trys to do it off the cuff, and he just sounds awful and makes little sense. 

-------------
If we could read minds, we wouldn't need headsets.

Date Posted: 10/14/05 at 10:32am
G'donya Poppie!
I'm sure you were great!

joe

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: 75director
Date Posted: 10/14/05 at 5:03pm

Yikes, I'd hate to drug up on stage at the end of the show by the cast.  I agree let them thank you at the cast party, or back stage after opening night or soemthing, there's striking to be done on that last show, less tongues flapping, more drills running.

Just to chime in on the curtain speech topic, I personally hate them the audience is there to see the show not the pre-show.  With that said, however, I've seen more and more need for the common courtesy announcements like cell phones, cameras, etc.  You can put it in the program, you can have huge signs in the lobby but you can't make someone actually read any of it. 

An advantage of making the announcement live is that people do have to pay attention.  I've done the cell phone speech far too often and just about every time you hear the rustle of purses and the ugly sounds of phones shutting off.  (btw why do phones have to make stupid sounds when they shut off, just beep and off is all that's needed).

Normally we do it as a pre-recorded announcement that in PBS style thanks the corporate sponsors and things like that.  We change it for every show so people pay attention and if the show is a comedy we try and make the announcements funny.  We're more straight forward with dramas.

The only times I do the curtain speech live is when we're hawking subscriptions for the following season.  I hate to say it, but you can't pass up the opportunity to make the sales speech to a captive audience that already has an interest in your product, otherwise they wouldn't be in the seat.

Posted By: Tyunglebo
Date Posted: 10/27/05 at 9:36pm

Wow. I honestly have to admit I have never seen this last curtain tradition take place in shows I have been involved in. To that, I would say, thank the heavens indeed!

In the theatre where over the last few years I have done most of my acting, the manager of the entire theatre comes out just before the show opens, and reminds you to turn off cell phones, and that there is punch and cookies at intermission. Sometimes he mentions the next show on the calendar, and sometimes not. That sort of thing seems pretty straight forward and acceptable to me.

But I ask all of those people who are in theatres that do this tradition, do audiences actually stay and watch such speeches take place at the end of the final play? And if so, how antsy do they look half way into it?

I am not trying to be sarcastic, I just honestly never heard of this tradition.

-------------

Posted By: Shatcher
Date Posted: 10/28/05 at 10:06am

In one of the theatres I work in we avoid the whole thank everyone and their brother after the last curtian call thing. Here is what we do. Cast and crew gather on stage 15 minutes before the house opens(we do this for every show) during this time we go over any business needed and then we recite the theatres creed(they used to call it a prayer but there is no God involved) the last night during this meeting the cast gives their gifts and says their thank yous. it works out great. We also have a toast after each opening night show. This is great for me because there is nothing I hate more than being dragged up on stage!

FYI the creed goes like this:

We come together in this place with open heart and open mind. The bond of the love of theatre and the wish to share this art. To king and player alike may we join together and make beauty on this stage tonight.

Written By Nicloe Nelson for Stages of Omaha

Posted By: k8tt
Date Posted: 10/31/05 at 11:42am

Shatcher - I like this 'before the house opens' tradition of yours.  We tried to avoid the closing night thankyous this past Saturday and it was a disaster.  No one told the pit orchestra that we weren't doing speeches, so the oboist came up on stage during the final applause and started a LONG love-fest about the Musical Director!  The Musical Director then thanked his orchestra, the cast, etc. and the Director felt compelled to do the same.

What went wrong?  The Director was flustered and thanked EVERYONE (and their dog) except for yours truly (as SM I have made this show a full time job for the past few months)!  I had pretty hurt feelings and the cast was outraged - started chanting my name on stage as the audience was trying to escape.  We will NEVER do that again!

Posted By: Joan54
Date Posted: 11/01/05 at 1:11pm

Wow..sorry I missed that...sounds like drama to me. Especially the part about the cast chanting your name....there's a scene for you.   I like that you descibe the audience as "trying to escape".  As an audience member  I have simply left after a decent interval of applause and let the cast babble on without me.

Don't get your nose out of joint about being left out...as you said the Director was unprepared and flustered.  Thank-you speeches always seem to leave someone out which is why they should be banned from the theater....

-------------
"behind a thin wall of logic panic is waiting to stampede"

Posted By: jtonner
Date Posted: 11/02/05 at 8:17am

Our group does not do closing night "call ups".  It did, unfortunately, happen to me once when the mother of the lead decided that she should have her daughter call me up.  I went, not happy about it.  From then on, on closing night green room, I tell the cast to not call me up, because if they do, I will leave the auditorium and let them stand there. 

As for pre show announcements, I do not like them either, but it sometimes appears they need to be done.  We have a printed sign, but it seems people either cannot of do not read, or they do not pay attention to what the sign says.  I think this is the lesser of the two "evils".

John

-------------
John

Posted By: GoldCanyonLady
Date Posted: 3/13/06 at 9:55am
We have a lot of great theatre opportunities here in Arizona and never have I had to endure the thank yous at the end. We are a small local theatre in a senior community and the previous director told us that we should call her up and they had flowers for her and all and they did it every one of the four nights---not just closing night. 

I just finished my first play as director and I made the opening announcements over the PA from the sound booth. Since we don't have a curtain, I announced that at the end of each act and at the end of the play the house lights would go out and stay out for up to 30 seconds. I asked them for their safety to stay in their seats until the lights came up.

I simply told the cast that I didn't want to be called up. I told them we would look more professional. They did their bows, the group bow, then the lights went out and they quickly exited the stage, came down the stairs and stood in front of the stage to be greeted by the audience. That was it and I loved it. It felt less like a high school play this way.
Barb

-------------
Barb Hofmeister,
MountainBrook Village Players, Gold Canyon, Arizona.

Posted By: avcastner
Date Posted: 5/20/07 at 12:54pm
FYI:  I'm the "guest" from a few posts earlier--my username didn't migrate when the forum updated.

I have sinced changed the way I handle closing night thanks.  The actors still insist on thanking the backstage people and me from the stage.  They even have gifts for me.  I just wave from the back and cue the lights to go down.  (Of course, I do tell them not to even think of calling me up onstage).  Still, the whole thing only takes about 1 extra minute, because only one person is allowed to speak.

-------------

Posted By: Kurt Muller
Date Posted: 5/21/07 at 7:21am

Joe, Linda might be getting the hang of your colourful colloquiallisms, but I'm blowed if I am!!

And I'm a third generation true blue Aussie!!!

Mate, what language are you speaking?!! Don't tell me. You're one of those blokes from the Land Of The Long White Clod, aren't you? I can hear the Kiwi accent from here!!

Just kidding, mate. But still, you might want to slow down a bit when you're writing, eh? All the good points you make, sometimes get lost in translation.

Cheers.  

Posted By: suzecue1
Date Posted: 5/21/07 at 11:51am
This may be a little "cold" of me, but why in the world would you want to do this in front of a paying audience?  Don't you want them leaving and thinking about the fabulous show they just saw?  We always save our "thank you's" (and gifts) for the cast party, when the people that were involved in the show, and a few family members, are present.

Now at our high school productions, when there is no cast party with the directors in attendance, the senior students call the directors up the last night, to thank them and give them gifts.  In turn, the directors introduce and recognize the seniors and the fact that the show is their last High School production. It is a nice wrap up for schools - but I wouldn't put a regular CT audience through it. Way too emotional IMHO

-------------
Sue
So many hats.....so few heads!

Posted By: jphock
Date Posted: 5/21/07 at 4:25pm
There was a group I had the great displeasure of working with on their 10th anniversary show. After the final bows the director (and president of the organization) came on stage to individually thank EVERY person in the audience that had ever been in one of our shows. It went on for over 15 minutes.

Posted By: TonyDi
Date Posted: 5/22/07 at 8:21am
MY IDEAL situation - ANNOUNCEMENTS about Fire Exits, Cell phones, smoking, photography of any kind, announcements IN THE PROGRAM, on a PROMINENT DISPLAY CARD IN THE LOBBY (with simple sketch of the space indicating emergency exits), and then subtly announced over PA if available just before start of show.  Sponsors get their line in the program, friends, people who loan things, others "forgotten" are thanked and leave it at that.

CURTAIN SPEECHES - NO!! NEVER!! If needed a GOOD VOICE OVER PA for reiteration of announcements "In a world where time in theater, means......"  YOU know the movie voice guy.

Gift giving or recognition - CAST PARTY OR PRIVATELY if no party.  Who wants to be called on stage on the last night when you're dressed for STRIKE? NOT ME!

If CELL PHONES ARE NOT turned off, ushers politely go to offender and tell them.  IF NECESSARY - a seasoned, pissed off actor will turn to the JERK IN THE AUDIENCE and tell them to PISS OFF with the phone - sad but it's been done and the audience usually applauds the actor.  THIS IS TONGUE IN CHEEK but I've seen it and loved it. As an audience member I've even gone so far at to tell someone what an ass they were and to turn off the cell phone. I know I love to incite theater riots if someone is being a jerk AT MY EXPENSE TOO.

PRAISE AND ACCOLADE comes when the job is done well and proper. I have a patron following and they know me by name and on sight - many have become good friends and followers over the years.  HARD to make a subtle, unnoticed appearance anywhere in the theater and NOT be stopped for pats on the back. BUT I try to dumb-it-down so much that it's brief and as unnoticed as possible. I'd rather the audience leaves without fanfare of any kind.  THAT goes for this infernal meet and greet after the show. THAT doesn't happen in professional theater. Actors like to sneak out the back stage door only to occasionally be inundated. BUT that rarely happens in CT so why allow them to further pat actors on the back when they just got finished applauding them - maybe even giving them a standing O - only to be compelled to have actors waiting at the door for further pats on the back. I just don't get it.  I don't need it.  WHEN I as a director hear the applause, I lay claim to as much of it as the actor does.  As an actor, I SHARE IT with the director without whom it might not have achieved the response it does - whatever that might be.

I am NOT big on traditions much less believe in superstitions either.  THAT is about the biggest load of guano that I've ever heard. I have broken ALL those superstitions and NOTHING - in 50 years - has EVER happened of a negative nature as a result. Such drama, such crap. I believe you do your job and if done right, nothing is going to jinx what occurs. It's about hard work, dedication, proper approach for each situation and then casting the bones on the floor and hoping they line up for good fortune. Kidding! THAT would be superstititious and I just said I wasn't. METAPHORICALLY speaking then.

ANYWAY ideals might be wonderful - however they're too infrequently achieved. THAT is why I do so little theater anymore.  Can't stand the silly things that go on and that never seem to change.

Tony B

-------------
"Almost famous"

Posted By: pdavis69
Date Posted: 5/22/07 at 11:43am
We very rarely do announcements at our theatre.  We will make exceptions if we are having gunshots or strobe effects, then we will warn the audience ahead of time.  As far as a director's bow, never.  I can't speak for all of our directors but I get my satisfaction in watching the audience during the performance.  We do our hugs and thanks at a party.  That's private to us not having to do with the audience.

-------------
Patrick L. Davis
Fort Findlay Playhouse

Posted By: Shatcher
Date Posted: 5/22/07 at 1:37pm
I have worked with a director who likes to have a toast with the entire company after the opening night show.Works out great all the back slapping, and fanny kissing happens after the toast. then we all go party or home. takes about 15 minutes. this is gift giving time as well. As SM I have been called on stage by the cast and just sat in my booth not moving, or maybe I will wave. I am not to be seen, I am a creature of the darkness!

Posted By: AngelSong76
Date Posted: 5/31/07 at 3:23pm

I was just in my first play at a community theatre that I've always wanted to be a part of, but never had the courage to try.  One thing I loved was that after the opening night show was over, we all changed into our street clothes and met on the stage.  The audience was gone and it was just people involved in the show.  We all toasted the show with champagne that the director had brought, and talked about how the performance felt.  It was the only performance the director attended out of the eight show run that we had.

The last show was a matinee, so the cast party was that evening at the director's house.  We finished the performance, struck the set, cleaned the theatre and the dressing rooms, gathered the costumes and props and put them where they needed to go, and then headed out to her house for the party.

At this theatre, there are no speeches of any kind.  There is a taped announcement welcoming everyone to the show and warning about cell phones and photography.  It's short and sweet, and everyone seems to abide by them.

Posted By: eveharrington
Date Posted: 6/02/07 at 3:52pm
the last show I directed, I also ran the curtain (small group) at the end of the last show I knew it was coming and planned on sneaking out the back door as soon as I closed after the curtain call. The prop mistress grabbed me and physically forced me thru a door onto the stage. People in the audience commented that I looked furious.

-------------
"If nothing else, there's applause... like waves of love pouring over the footlights."

Posted By: bbpchick
Date Posted: 7/17/07 at 6:33pm

In my little community theater, the calling of the director is a tradition. But the trick is to keep it short and sweet.  I work in a recognition of the sound and lighting crew into the curtian call.  The cast just indicates the lighting booth and claps so they get recognition each night.

On the final night I just say thank you all for coming and this has been a great show and I would like to thank the cast and crew for all their hard work.  I hope to see you again next time!
And leave it at that.  SHort and sweet and to the point and no hurt feelings cuz I didn't call anyone by name.  Then the lights go up and the cast goes out as usual and talks to their family and friends.
I figure it is easier that way than fighting with anyone about wether we are going to have closing night director call up.

Posted By: whitebat
Date Posted: 8/11/07 at 6:53pm
At a high school production (during the school day), the director gave a brief pre-show speech to the effect of "what a good, considerate audience you are", which would be in effect the cell phone speech from a positive perspective.  Unfortunately I think some of our shows have had director and crew called, although they did not make LONG speeches.  The cast usually acknowledges whoever is working in the booth with raised arms and applause from the stage.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info