Print Page | Close Window

Theater Romances

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Producing Theater
Forum Name: Directing
Forum Discription: For questions about handling shows, actors, crew, board members, children ...or do we repeat ourselves?
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=939
Printed Date: 5/13/24 at 9:37pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Theater Romances
Posted By: Guests
Subject: Theater Romances
Date Posted: 2/26/04 at 7:03pm

I have just gone into production on a musical, and I am watching an attraction growing between two members of my production staff (AD and SM). I know that you can't force people NOT to be attracted, but I am really concerned about them getting into a relationship during this production. First off, it makes other cast and crew uncomfortable to be around a couple that is... amorous. Second, when relationships go sour, it is understandably difficult for people to continue working together.

Any advice on how to handle this??? I realize that I could opt not to say or do anything at all, and if you think that would be best, I would appreciate that feedback as well. It seems Draconian to lay down rules about this kind of thing, but another director told me that she explicitly tells her cast and crew her feelings about this on the very first day of rehearsal (she doesn't strictly "forbid" it though). Ack!!!

Replies:
Posted By: Linda
Date Posted: 2/26/04 at 10:49pm

YIKES. Been there. With me it was two cast members. It was really difficult to ignore.  I had to do something. I had known them both for a long time, so I felt comfortable talking to them. I spoke to them both seperately. I didn't make a big deal out of it, but asked them to please keep it professional during rehearsal. Which they did for the most part. The other cast members where not shy about letting them know if they were getting to friendly. I didn't discourage that. I was glad I talked to them. By the way, the romance was over right after strike.

When I taught high school I use to tell my students to leave their hormones outside the door. That they could pick them up when rehearsal was over. It was corny. They laughed, but it worked. 

Good Luck.

Linda

Date Posted: 2/27/04 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Linda

YIKES. Been there. With me it was two cast members. It was really difficult to ignore.  I had to do something. I had known them both for a long time, so I felt comfortable talking to them. I spoke to them both seperately. I didn't make a big deal out of it, but asked them to please keep it professional during rehearsal. Which they did for the most part. The other cast members where not shy about letting them know if they were getting to friendly. I didn't discourage that. I was glad I talked to them. By the way, the romance was over right after strike.

When I taught high school I use to tell my students to leave their hormones outside the door. That they could pick them up when rehearsal was over. It was corny. They laughed, but it worked. 

Thanks for the advice, Linda! As you can probably tell, I'm really squeamish about approaching this topic, and I think that your use of humor may be the best bet.

Ironically - I would be happy for these two if circumstances were different. They are both doing great in their respective jobs, and they are really nice folks to begin with. They have a lot in common, and it makes perfect sense that they would fall for each other. However, if things continue on this trajectory, I'm going to have to find some way to appeal to their sense of professionalism and ask them to keep it low-key.

Posted By: CCTheaterMN
Date Posted: 2/27/04 at 9:55pm
I most definitely agree with the "keep it professional approach", I co-direct/musical direct depending on the production and have been dating the head director for over 5 years now.  We're able to keep the relationship out of the show and just work when at work.  Most of the time, the cast doesn't even know we're dating.  It seems to work out okay, as long as we keep it on the down low during the production process.

Date Posted: 3/02/04 at 1:35pm

Originally posted by CCTheaterMN

I most definitely agree with the "keep it professional approach", I co-direct/musical direct depending on the production and have been dating the head director for over 5 years now.  We're able to keep the relationship out of the show and just work when at work.  Most of the time, the cast doesn't even know we're dating.  It seems to work out okay, as long as we keep it on the down low during the production process.

Fair enough, and thank you! It is nice to hear when this situation goes right, and it sounds like the "compartmentalize" approach works best.

Date Posted: 8/27/04 at 2:55pm

Of course, what's always fun is when the opposite happens. I'm sure everyone here has a horror story.

A few years back we were producing Pippin, and the actor playing Pippin and the actress playing Catherine were dating, a fact unknown to us until about two weeks into rehearsal. Naturally, they broke up during hell week. The scene where Pippin rejects Catherine and runs off was very powerful. The entire rest of the show was awkward and tense. Nowadays we ask first. It usually is met with giggles or incredulity, but we are NOT going to have that happen again.

Date Posted: 10/13/05 at 3:08pm

The first full-length play that I directed had two performers dating.  I'm sad to say there was more drama backstage than on-stage that year.

Since then I've had to deal with it when I discover a couple are interested or dating each other.  Last year I had my production stage manager "cheat" (went on a date with a different girl--don't read into this) on my assistant stage manager.  To add to the chaos, the girl he dated had just joined the make-up crew.  Once I found out, I brought all three together and had a meeting.  I explained to the newly added crew person that I needed my PSM and ASM more than I needed her and I was going to have to drop her from the crew to prevent anymore disruptions in the rehearsals.  After dismissing her, I privately laid into my PSM and ASM about keeping the personal lives out of the rehearsal hall and their responsibilities in maintaining a safe environment for people to be creative which cannot happen when they're fighting.

Generally, a couple of my students get to know each other during the "bonding" of drama, and they may even end up dating.  But other than making sure they are constantly chaperoned by an adult, it is not usually a problem.  I agree--lay down some ground rules at the first rehearsal so everybody knows what their commitments have to be to work with you.

-------------

Posted By: tristanrobin
Date Posted: 10/13/05 at 4:05pm
I've had a very different experience. LOL

Two good friends of mine (who didn't know each other) were
cast in a small touring company of "You're a Good Man, Charlie
Brown!" as Charlie Brown and Patty.

They have now been married for ten years and have a six year
old son.

I was thrilled when I found out my friends (and actors) were
getting together! Of course, they never ever let their
personal relationship interfere with their performances ... and
they were adults, not school students.

OMG - as I type this, I realize that there was another couple
in one of my plays that met, fell in love and got married. They
weren't as good of friends of mine as the other couple - but I
think they have two or three kids, too...and are very together.

Hell - I should stop directing plays and open competition for
Match.com    

Posted By: POB14
Date Posted: 10/13/05 at 5:36pm

I met my wife when we were in a show together.  Didn't start dating until it was over, though.

You can't control emotions, but you can control behavior.  No slap-and-tickle in the theatre.  Save it for the opening night party.

Parenthetically, why do people feel the need to crawl all over each other in public, anyway?  Just to prove they can get a girl/boy friend?

Or am I just an old f**t?  (And yes, I'm aware these aren't mutually exclusive)

-------------
POB
Old Bugger, Curmudgeon, and Antisocial B**tard

Posted By: tristanrobin
Date Posted: 10/13/05 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by POB14

Parenthetically, why do people feel the need to crawl all over
each other in public, anyway?? Just to prove they can get a girl/
boy friend?

Or am I just an old f**t?? (And yes, I'm aware these aren't
mutually exclusive)

I"ve never understood it either - even in high school I thought it
was really shabby to see couples making out in the hallways. I
used to think it was simply being oblivous to civilized behavior -
but you may be right..maybe they do think they need to
prove something or other.

I don't consider age - or fartdom - any kind of benchmark for
honorable behavior LOL

Posted By: SopMBA
Date Posted: 10/17/05 at 11:09am

I have always been annoyed by the endless drama of theatre romances, so I vowed never to date anyone in the theatre. Never say never!  I recently started dating our stage manager. We were both concerned about staying professional at the theatre since he's SM and I'm in the cast and on the board of directors.

When we're in rehearsals, we both focus on our jobs and don't interact unless necessary. I figure we've done well keeping our personal lives out of the theatre when we have both been asked if we are arguing. Inevitably, people assume that since we are dating and aren't all over each other we must be fighting. I guess drama can be found even where there is none!

Posted By: Shatcher
Date Posted: 10/17/05 at 12:13pm
There will always be backstage romances. I met my husband backstage and we now have 2 kids. If you have to say anything to the folks in question do it quickly and in privite. Also make clear you are not against the relationship, just the PDA. Be prearared for a lots of "It's none of your mailto:F*@#ing - F*@#ing busisness" type talk.Because what happens outside the theatre is none of your busisness.  I would hope adults would know better...but we are all theatre people and the drama seems to enter every part of our lives

Posted By: PatrickArmagh
Date Posted: 10/17/05 at 4:21pm

Been here before. 

SHOWMANCE...I've seen it a hundred times, and always laughed at it.  But still been involved in a couple of tryst.  The important thing to remember is discretion at all cost, because "THEY" all gossip. "THEY" do that.  My favorite is when "THEY" make an issue out of a nothing situation and create more drama then there is on stage.

My personal feelings are to avoid romances with co-stars.  A lead dating a chorus member is much less a risk than two co-stars, and I have had several relationships in this vein.  I actually prefer it since I generally can stand my leading ladies, or at least their personalities.  It is the same reason why I request not being in a "STAR" dressing room.  We are here to work as an ensemble and learn from each other, not be on a higher level than our peers.

As for the romance, just keep it out of the theater.  What goes on when you leave is your business, and no one else.  The lasting relationships that began in the theater are generally the ones that no one knew about until after the show has closed.  That is just my two-cents...take it or leave it.

By the way...my current friend and I have been together for 5 months, and while "THEY" suspect, most have only suspicion since we keep our relationship private between the two of us.

Posted By: A-M-K
Date Posted: 10/15/06 at 5:32pm
Interesting thread!  There's something about the magic of theater that gets the romance in our blood flowing (or at least the pheromones).  I'm married to the man I fell in love with during a show, and he's now directed me in three shows, and we're co-directing a show currently.  If you have a common love for theater, who better to understand than another actor?

That said, a local man performing in The King and I, who was married, had a not-so-discreet affair with his leading lady in a community theater production loaded with kids and community members. His wife found out when the show ended and the leading lady went to Europe, and her husband had a 1200 dollar cell phone bill in one month.  Duh!  It was so cliche...

Posted By: red diva
Date Posted: 10/17/06 at 10:13am

Another theatre marriage here!  My husband (Juror#3) and I met while doing "Two by Two" - he was Ham (no, that's the character's name) and I was playing Goldie.  The two characters ended up marrying each other....and so did we!

We have played opposite each other several times since, both as romantic couples ("Sisters Rosensweig" - Sara and Merv - and "Moon Over Buffalo" - George and Charlotte Hay) and brother and sister ("Harvey" - Veta Louise and Elwood - and "Lost in Yonkers" - Bella and Eddie) and have thoroughly enjoyed doing so. 

HOWEVER.....he and I have directed each other several times and have had disagreements, but those spats stay in the theatre when we leave.  I guess you could call them "artistic differences".  BUT we never carry them home with us.

-------------
"I've worked long and hard to earn the right to be called Diva!"

Posted By: Juror #3
Date Posted: 10/17/06 at 4:05pm

Speaking as Red Diva's husband, I got involved in community theatre in the hope of meeting someone.  Needless to say, I lucked out.  And she's right, we have acted several times without problems and have directed each other with some (cough, cough) artistic disagreements, though nothing that disrupted the show we were working on.

-------------
Juror #3

Date Posted: 10/17/06 at 4:11pm
Thank you, Sweetie (Juror #3).  I lucked out, too.

-------------

Posted By: eveharrington
Date Posted: 10/18/06 at 4:04am
On the opposite end I was recently put in position of explaining to/convincing my husband I would not be swept away by "showmance". He's not the least bit interested in acting beyond it's appeal to me, and thinks that Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt are ironclad evidence that these things happen all the time and are somehow caused by acting. Needless to say my first kissing role did not go down smooth.

Incidently we worked it out, I think the fact that the actor playing opposite me was a pompous little punk helped!

-------------
"If nothing else, there's applause... like waves of love pouring over the footlights."

Posted By: suzecue1
Date Posted: 10/18/06 at 9:14am

It's inevitable - showmances. For several weeks to several months you ARE "family", spending nearly every evening together. Having fun, working together, and it creates a bond. It's fine if you are single and can manage the new relationship without it causing distractions or any back stage drama. Unfortunately, I've seen showmances that were "the straw that broke the camel's back" of several weak marriages. It would seem that people can't tell the different between acting and real life. I had a very good friend look me in the eye and tell me that her on stage husband and family were everything that her off stage husband and family could never be. She was comparing her life to a written script! Talk about getting into character.  30 years of marriage down the tubes. Worse thing is there is nothing anyone can do about it. It happens too often.

-------------
Sue
So many hats.....so few heads!

Posted By: MartyW
Date Posted: 10/19/06 at 2:35pm
Several years back, I played Mortimer in Arsenic and Old Lace... We had a successful run and I had hung up the character in the closet with all my other favorite roles...  About a week later I got a call from a theater in a town about 25 miles away... They were about to open in a week and a half and had decided they needed to fire thier Mortimer.  Apparently, up to that point, he knew about half his lines (and its not a small role) and NONE of his blocking... Needless to say, with a major role like that, it pulled the whole show down pacing wise for him to be "Lined" continually and the other actors had no one to build their own flow/pacing and characterizations against.  As I had just finished the show, they asked me if I would come over to help. I did.  My previous director felt that a face paced comedy should be, well, fast paced... And in all my "learned" responces after six weeks of rehearsal and eight performances, movments and blocking, things were fast. As we worked through the scene thier "Elaine" kept holding my arm and kind of guiding me around the stage.. Apparently the only way the previous Mortimer new where to be.. Things were moving along at a fairly decent pace until all of a sudden, serveral actors missed thier entrances.. The common response was, It usually takes another ten minutes for us to get to that point with the other actor. So with a common understanding that with thier reversed set layout and only a little over a week, that I would use as much of my previous "independent" blocking and counter as best I could on thiers. The culmination of an extreemly fun evening was when the time came to kiss Elaine. Apparently my predisesor had some trouble with that task as well.. But, I walked over at the appropriate point and kissed her. She threw up her hands and yelled "wait a minute, wait a minute... its just going to fast!"  I turned to the directors (husband wife team) and said "Dosen't he kiss her here?"  When the laughter died down, he turned to his wife and said, "I think we have a show"... After a successful run two great things happend in this situation. The first was at thier annual banquet I recieved the S. O. B. award (saved our butts)... Second, Elaine and I have now been married for six years.......

-------------
Marty W

"Till next we trod the boards.."

Posted By: castMe
Date Posted: 10/19/06 at 5:04pm
Marty.  Lovely story.  "Too fast". indeed.  You made my day. 

-------------
Investigate. Imagine. Choose.

Posted By: pdavis69
Date Posted: 10/20/06 at 12:55am
People join community theatre to have fun.  They associate with other people that are having fun,  Soon they are having fun together.  I have had the pleasure of working with a pair of CT couples and when watching them together I thank the theatre for their happiness.  (Although I could have done without running into Red and the Juror seriously smooching during their courtship)  Thanks to the theatre for bringing these people together and enriching the lives of those in our theatre.

-------------
Patrick L. Davis
Fort Findlay Playhouse

Posted By: Mike Polo
Date Posted: 10/20/06 at 8:04am
In our "long history with the same group" department, my parents were a theater romance, having met while working with our group. Later (quite a bit later), I met my wife when casting her in the first show I directed at this same group. For the moment, both our sons are out of state, though you never know.

-------------
Mike Polo
Community Theater Green Room
http://www.communitytheater.org
http://www.twitter.com/CTGreenRoom">

Date Posted: 10/20/06 at 11:38am
Patrick:  The smooching at the Playhouse came after the wedding, actually!  (We're still doing it....you just haven't been around when we've been "sucking face"!) (Oh, God....are people still saying that?  Am I showing my generation?)

-------------

Posted By: Linda S
Date Posted: 10/20/06 at 12:07pm

My 23 year old daughter is doing a semester in England. She has been around theater all of her life, so one of the first things she did was go to the local theater company and volunteer. As she said, "That is where I am sure to meet really nice people." And it looks like she did. She met young man there. She called this morning. She is going to meet his parents this weekend. More romance.

Linda

Posted By: MartyW
Date Posted: 10/20/06 at 12:48pm
hghghghghghtwobytwo.... sorry something in my throat.

-------------
Marty W

"Till next we trod the boards.."

Posted By: Juror #3
Date Posted: 10/20/06 at 2:47pm

Red Diva,

You and I are of the pre-"suck face" era.  I'm not sure what our era is called but it featured  such studs as Don Grady, Paul Peterson, and Tony Dow.  Among the stud-ettes of that time were Roberta Shore, Shelley Fabares, and Patty Duke.  Now that I look at these names, I don't think I want to know what the era was called.  It would be too demoralizing.

-------------
Juror #3

Date Posted: 10/21/06 at 3:46pm
Marty:  are you referring to the show, or the performance?  I think I agree with you if you are referring to both.

-------------

Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 10/21/06 at 9:11pm
 Not being a mushie kissy type person. Possibly because I?m not kissable, although I have had my odd fleeting moments I think?
But to me it is annoying when theatre bods give what I consider a condescending kiss to any & everyone.
I find shaking their hand first, is the best way to avoid this gushy girlie practice.
As I advise all cast & crew before we start if they want to pare off, do it somewhere else.
As for romance  it always becomes embarrassing for others around them & inevitably causes problems, especially with married couples.
But that?s just me totally unromantic, in fact a log of wood when it comes to this stuff!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: NagarWSF
Date Posted: 1/19/07 at 12:09pm
Well, I am ok with people connecting and finding romance, but as long as they are not engaging in PDA while in the theater, or on the flip side, fighting in the theatre. Keep it professional and on the DL. Leave the romance at the door, and pick it up on the way out!
That being said, when I was still in High School and acting in community theatre, I had my fair share of showmances. The last one I had worked out pretty well. I was 18, a senior in high school. She was 15 and a sophmore. We had been in a couple of shows together and became friends. We started dating when she was in a production of "Joseph..." and I was on the stage crew. It was different from the other showmances I had. I wasn't acting with anyone, and she was a much more down to earth and wholesome girl than the other divas I has dated. Anyway, to make a long story short...Here we are 17 years later. We dated all through college, and got married after her graduation. Went through grad-school together, and have now been married 10 and a half years! Oh, and we have 2 kids, a 5 year old daughter and a 16 month old son. (Daughter is a big time theatre kid!)

So we defied the odds on two levels: we are a showmance, and high school sweethearts!  

-------------
Working Class Theatre Company
www.workingclasstheatre.org

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info