Would you do a play you didn't like?

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Producing Theater
Forum Name: Other Topics
Forum Discription: For everything else
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5279
Printed Date: 5/02/24 at 9:21am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Would you do a play you didn't like?
Posted By: Raging Thespian
Subject: Would you do a play you didn't like?
Date Posted: 3/05/12 at 1:42pm
I've been asked to be in a two-person one-act play at the end of the month for a local theatre competition. The gentleman that has asked me to do the show is directing the show and is also the playwright. He is an elderly gentleman, that I've known (not extremely well) for a couple of years... we've been in two shows together a couple years ago.

I felt bad for him because one of his actors withdrew with only 3 weeks to go and is scrambling to make sure he stays in the competition. Since I didn't have any prior commitments that would prevent me from doing it, and wanting to help him out, I said yes I'd do it.

So I picked up the script on the weekend.. and oh Lord it is not a good play.  It feels fairly dated and the dialogue is horrendous in some areas. The premise of the play is okay, and with some dialogue changes, it could be alright.

I know he's going to ask me what I thought of the script at our read-through tonight... and I don't know how to respond. I don't want to hurt his feelings, but his script could use some work to say the least.

Question: Would you be honest and suggest changes citing that you like the premise but some of the dialogue doesn't ring true for you?
Would you say nothing and do the script as is?

Confused

Replies:
Posted By: Thudster
Date Posted: 3/05/12 at 1:58pm
I'm in a dinner theater play like that right now. I was originally a minor character, so it didn't annoy me TOO much, but two weeks go one of the leads had to drop out so I was recast. Lordy, that's some bad dialogue they've got me speaking. Clunky monologues, horrible resolution (murder/mystery with no real mystery)... The director's not a purist, so I have some leeway on what I say, but I still need to hit some words just for the other actor's cues.

I'm doing the play as written, for the most part. I'm intentionally dropping some of the worst parts (and getting away with it) and rephrasing others, but trying to stay true to the script. It's not a classic, and couldn't be even with a major rewrite, but that's not my job. I'm just supposed to do it as well as I can.

My family has heard plenty of my complaints, but I don't plan on telling the director. I'm sure she's of the same opinion, but it's a dinner theater and this is the play that fit the venue. Not much we can do about it, and opening night is Friday so...

-------------
"Hey look! That's my dad up there whacking himself with silverware!"

Date Posted: 3/05/12 at 2:08pm
Break a leg Thudster!

That's good that your director is allowing you leeway. I've directed a few plays and am of the mindset that if your actors believe in it, the audience will to.

If he was just directing the play I'd probably be more vocal about the script... but him being the playwright as well.... I don't want to hurt his feelings, but the script needs some major work. I can't imagine the audience liking it as written.

Posted By: jayzehr
Date Posted: 3/05/12 at 6:44pm
My take on it, RT:
You're helping out someone in your theater community who is in a pinch; if I'm reading you right it's just a one shot deal. You're getting a chance to act during a period of time you wouldn't have been anyway.  It might not be a good script but at least he's out there trying.  And it's just three weeks away. If it was me I'd find something nice to say and just do it mostly as it is....maybe some suggested changes here or there but not major rewrites of dialogue at this point.

Date Posted: 3/05/12 at 7:46pm
Thanks, RT. We do have it easier, because the director has been doing a bit of editing herself -- she knows some of the problems. It's easier when the playwright isn't in the room.

-------------

Date Posted: 3/05/12 at 10:18pm
Exactly how I approached it, Thudster. Smile  Had the first read through tonight. Managed to make a few changes here and there,  but mostly kept it in tact.

Posted By: Majicwrench
Date Posted: 3/06/12 at 4:27pm
 I write and direct  a lot of the stuff my group does and I am always stunned at some of the wonderful suggestions/improvements I get during rehearsal. I am also stunned at the horrible suggestions I get. Part of the process. I say mention a few improvements.
  And I never say "I will" without reading material first.

Posted By: falstaff29
Date Posted: 3/07/12 at 6:25pm
In response to the question, would you do a play you didn't like, my answer would generally be no.  Don't direct shows you don't like--you'll turn them into something that contradicts their authors' intent.  Don't act in shows you don't like--lack of enthusiasm rubs off, and creates an unpleasant environment for all.  Let someone else, who does "get" it, do it.

However, in the context of this situation, you're helping a friend, and it sounds like a low-level commitment.  So, maybe you should do it and do it well.

I've acted in enough "original" plays that I've discovered something: they can, indeed, be very bad, but not infrequently, they're better than you think.  Many of the critiques we can level against plays because we have them in our hands become less consequential in the context of performance.  An audience might not notice the plot or character inconsistencies we do, if they're minor enough or we're compelling enough, and our attempts to make dialogue real for an audience and ourselves may capture a rhythm that's not intuitive as we read the script silently.

I'm not saying the play is necessarily good (I'll trust you that it's not), but it's probably at least playable.  Have a little faith that there are line readings that work, if only you discover them, and consider the experience a challenge that teaches you something else about acting (a process where we're perpetual students).

Posted By: MusicManD
Date Posted: 3/10/12 at 3:19pm
I'm one of those who starts off hating the play and ends up really enjoying it.  This past year, I've acted in "All Shook Up" and "Narnia"... both of which were incredibly dumb to me when I started (especially after watching Youtube videos).  But I really enjoyed them and in each case, I feel like we stepped up and created something really good.

Date Posted: 3/13/12 at 10:36am
Good observations everyone.

Falstaff - you are absolutely correct... if I act the hell out of the role it might just make it enjoyable for the audience as well as myself.

Date Posted: 3/13/12 at 11:56am
I have to agree with Falstaff too. The dinner theater went well for us, but about 80% of the success was because of the actors making it funny and working off each other. There were still some dead spots, but it was far better than it had any right being from the script alone.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info