URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5079
Printed Date: 4/16/24 at 4:55pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ticket Sales SCARED
Posted By: Legacy Theater
Subject: Ticket Sales SCARED
Date Posted: 5/25/11 at 12:20am

Hey Folks,
I've posted a few times here and really value the feedback. I guess I just need some community theater veterans and newbies to reassure me that all is going to be well LOL

Here's the situation. We are 2 1/2 weeks from opening night and have only sold/comp-ed 72 out of 480 tickets.

Here's the details:
*BRAND NEW theater in a smallish Marine town (over 90,000 residents)
*Play is an original hysterical comedy.
*Big write-up in local paper plus radio interviews.
*Posters all over town with an excellent and excited fan base that's growing.
*70+ followers on Facebook and an average of 500 hits to our website weekly.
*We offer buy online at no extra cost to the patron. Our theater is eating the $1.35 handling fee and we have only sold 6 tickets this way.

Here's the question:
Should I start getting nervous? As I write this it is May 25, 2011. Our opening night is June 10. We do two weekends. June 10, 11, 17 and 18.
Should I just rest on the fact that people are natural born procrastinators and the feedback from the show and advertising have been great?

What's your experience?
Thanks,
Nervous in Jacksonville aka Erika :)

-------------
Erika Hose
President Legacy Theater Company

Replies:
Posted By: Majicwrench
Date Posted: 5/26/11 at 12:07am
In my redneck of the woods, most of the tickets will be sold the last few days. So no worries at this point.
  Original material never seems to sell like the Big Name stuff. Still, no worries.
 Brand new theatre..WOW...and congrats.  Remember is doesn't cost anything to fill empty seats. 
  Keep us in the loop!

Posted By: dboris
Date Posted: 5/26/11 at 1:02pm
I agree, I wouldn't worry yet. 2 1/2 weeks out and you have 15% of your tickets booked, that not to bad. You should see an increase the week before the show opens. Also I find people tend not to plan past the next major holiday, so a lot of people may be thinking about Memorial day and not past it.

I also agree about the comps. If it gets close to opening day and you have empty seats, give out comps or do a buy one get one free especially since you are a new theater. Getting people in the doors is the most important thing at this point.

Date Posted: 5/26/11 at 1:22pm
Thank you guys so much! I definitely feel better. I never thought about the Memorial Day weekend. Hopefully I'll see a pick up next week and after! Thanks for putting my mind at ease!

-------------
Erika Hose

Posted By: jayzehr
Date Posted: 5/26/11 at 2:27pm
I"d say a new theater and an original script might be red flags but  72 out of 480 sold with two weeks and a half weeks to go doesn't sound bad. In my experience most of the tickets are either sold at the door or much closer in time to the show.

Posted By: dramacorrect
Date Posted: 6/04/11 at 12:02am
I also agree.  I was a little worried about an original script too, but it doesn't sound too bad for being early.

Can you tell us how it's going?  It's been several days since you posted, I'm just curious.

-------------
http://tinyurl.com/6c4okhd - Theatre Articles
http://tinyurl.com/3wvu3eg - Web Apps to Save Money
Community Theatre Fundraising

Date Posted: 6/11/11 at 12:39am
Hi Everyone.... We just completed our opening night. We sold/comped half of the tickets for tonight. We had an audience of 60 and we had 120 for sale. Tomorrow night we have 120 for sale and we've sold 50. The audience LOVED the show and said they will be telling all of their friends and family to buy tickets.

I guess I am pretty bummed we didn't sell out but I don't want to be too overanxious. It is our first show :( We have had AMAZING publicity and advertisement so I just don' tknow what the deal is.

Any ideas?

-------------
Erika Hose

Date Posted: 6/11/11 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Legacy Theater

I guess I am pretty bummed we didn't sell out but I don't want to be too overanxious. It is our first show :( We have had AMAZING publicity and advertisement so I just don' tknow what the deal is.

Any ideas?

As was mentioned earlier, a new theater and an unknown play could be variables.  And I don't know how well other groups are doing but filling half the theater isn't necessarily all that bad. 

Date Posted: 6/11/11 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Legacy Theater

Hi Everyone.... We just completed our opening night. We sold/comped half of the tickets for tonight. We had an audience of 60 and we had 120 for sale. Tomorrow night we have 120 for sale and we've sold 50. The audience LOVED the show and said they will be telling all of their friends and family to buy tickets.

Any ideas?

Date Posted: 6/11/11 at 12:24pm
Oops. I see not all of my post made it..

I wanted to say that 50% full is not necessarily that bad.

Posted By: Majicwrench
Date Posted: 6/11/11 at 4:31pm
 I agree, new theatre, half full...not bad. Word of mouth will help,  it will only get better.
  Ticket prices can be a big turn off too, hope they are reasonable.

Sound like you are trying, and doing a lot of things right. Keep the faith.

PS  I would bet A LOT of us have done shows where we would have THRILLED to have a half full house.

Date Posted: 6/12/11 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Majicwrench

PS  I would bet A LOT of us have done shows where we would have THRILLED to have a half full house.

In our circumstances in the theater we're renting half full is a big success financially and otherwise.  It would be nice to have a 120 seat place
that would sell out.

Posted By: Rorgg
Date Posted: 6/15/11 at 5:34pm
My company is planning on expanding to a musical for our 3rd show.  In our preliminary numbers-crunch, we're looking to set it so 26% capacity will be break-even (129 seat house).  NEEDING anything more would set us up for some potentially large issues.

Date Posted: 6/24/11 at 12:20am
Hi Everyone,

Your feedback has been amazing and I thank you so much for your thoughts and responses.

Well, our first show is over *breath sigh of relief here!!!
As you read before, we sold out half of our seating for our first weekend. We are using a church sanctuary that say 128. We sold about 1/4 on opening night, over half on the next night.

AND GUESS WHAT? Because of the show and the amazing reviews, we SOLD OUT our last weekend. Not only that, but I oversold. We ended up selling 136 tickets on our last two nights and folks were asking for another weekend.

It really was amazing and I am proud of the work we did. Onto the next show, a musical revue that will feature shows from the 50s and 60s.

Thanks again for your ideas. They have been awesome!!!

-------------
Erika Hose

Posted By: colugino
Date Posted: 6/20/12 at 10:52pm
My theatre company goes through this every show. We have learned not to worry about it so much because in the end, it is what it is. We started out doing multi-week runs (3 and 4 weeks). What we found was that we get the same number of people just more spread out (I mean, if there is only 80 gallons of water in your tank, you can't expect 85 gallons to come out, right?) and we were spending more money on lighting and sound rentals.

We stopped doing multi-weeks and have started doing one - two week runs and no longer. Most of our sales are comprised of the following:
- Online the last week before open
- Walk-ins (our biggest chunk of sales)
- Shows after opening due to hype about the show & repeat patrons (second biggest chunk of sales)

For our door people, we have tried everything to get people to buy tickets in advance and nothing has worked. We charge $5 more at the door, we offer discounts for "Buy a return ticket before you leave this performance & get a % off," "Buy ticket online & get free drink / snack at concessions..." People still pay at the door (which is fine because we make more money that way! LOL).

And granted, some shows we have taken a major hit. For example, we just closed "The Producers," which we thought would do amazing and we barely broke even. One show we had one patron in the audience.

Bottom line for our company is that we are doing the shows for the youth that participate and in the end, they enjoy it and as long as we aren't going completely broke, we keep floating along. Now don't get me wrong, we are definitely always looking for ways to bring in money and patrons!

Getting in a panic is only going to stress you out. If the show ended up not getting the audience / money, figure out what went wrong and try not to make the same mistake. Luckily for our company we have a lot of brutally honest people that come to our shows that we talk to and find out what we could have done better.

Posted By: vickifrank
Date Posted: 7/05/12 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by colugino

My theatre company goes through this every show. We have learned not to worry about it so much because in the end, it is what it is. We started out doing multi-week runs (3 and 4 weeks). What we found was that we get the same number of people just more spread out (I mean, if there is only 80 gallons of water in your tank, you can't expect 85 gallons to come out, right?) and we were spending more money on lighting and sound rentals.

I think your numbers are telling something about your marketing.  Since you get the same amount whether you do 2 weekends or 3-4 weekends, you can guess the following:  1.)you have saturated the market that you are reaching. 2.) you aren't getting many people coming back.

That means you need to find some new markets.  Maybe you've relied on radio and you need to try reaching the folks who read the paper.  You need to 'train' you audience to think about coming back.

Here are a few ideas: 

1.) Print on your ticket or your program, a coupon for 2 tickets for the price of one for this show.  The pitch is "to come back and share your fun with a friend"  Notice this is 3 tickets sold for the price of 2...and the audience is fuller...and the audience talks up the show. 

2.) Pick the guy who has a bit of comic timing (ie that guy who works in the theatre that always seems to make things fun) and have him come out before the show and announce the promo listed as idea one, and also pitch season tickets. This guy makes it fun, and sets the audience up for a fun show.

3.) If your likely audience is older (or younger) then offer a 'deal' to the nursing homes (or schools).

4.) Make some sort of contest that the MC in #2 announces.  What ever the contest is, make sure that the prize is some comp tickets to the last show (or the next show).  Also be sure that to win the audience member has to DO something--sign the back of the ticket, drop it in a jar when leaving, or mail it in.  The more they do the more they are deciding they are fans of your theatre. (Publisher's Clearinghouse does this for the same reason).

-------------

http://www.studio-productions-inc.com
1-800-359-2964

The theater scrim people

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info