Print Page | Close Window

Why is it wrong to give a line reading?

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Producing Theater
Forum Name: Directing
Forum Discription: For questions about handling shows, actors, crew, board members, children ...or do we repeat ourselves?
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4919
Printed Date: 4/27/24 at 2:18pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Why is it wrong to give a line reading?
Posted By: peacock
Subject: Why is it wrong to give a line reading?
Date Posted: 1/12/11 at 2:17am
I am an amateur director, never had any official acting classes. I have picked up from my readings that directors should never, ever give a line reading to an actor. My question is why? I work at an international school, and some of my students do not have the most fluent English. They would never get some lines right if someone doesn't help them.

Replies:
Posted By: jayzehr
Date Posted: 1/12/11 at 7:18am
I'd say just forget about any concern with giving line readings if you're directing non-native English speakers.

Posted By: Tallsor
Date Posted: 1/12/11 at 12:17pm
Peacock,

The 'don't give a line reading' is primarily because line reading denotes character. You want the actor to come up with his/her own approach to the part, and having a line interpreted one way versus another delves into that.

There have been times when I've given a line read when I know I want the character to go in a certain direction and other approaches (i.e., talks with the actor as to what result I'm hoping for) fail.

Posted By: Majicwrench
Date Posted: 1/12/11 at 12:25pm
Peacock,
  NO set rules as far as I am concerned. THis is theatre, not math.
 I give line reading to actors at times and see nothing wrong with it.
 Your fellow amateur,
           Keith

Posted By: edh915
Date Posted: 1/12/11 at 12:49pm
jayzehr is right.  If it's a matter of a lack of familiarity with the language, then by all means let the actor know where the normal word emphasis lies.

Under ordinary circumstances it's not really advisable to give an actor a specific line reading - emphasizing a particular word, for example - because it's almost certainly not going to come out right; sounding smooth and natural.  If the actor doesn't "feel" it, no amount of coaching is going to get through to him/her.  You're better off to make sure that the actor understands the motivation behind the speech, then even though it's not the way you would say it, the feeling behind it will be in line with the characterization that you want.

Am I making any sense here?

Posted By: MartyW
Date Posted: 1/12/11 at 1:44pm
It is a very fine line.... In your case, as previously stated, your actor's may not be familiar enough with the language to get where they need to be.  Often, we face this problem with older, less used words in English with English speakers, or when asked to pronounce an English word with a specific dialect in mind. That's probably your problem.  

As for the "rule" it is as also previously stated, to allow the actor to make his own choices. The problem I sometimes have with that is that, dependent on the actor's skill sets (face it, most all of us are amateur) he may not be able to find that emotion without example.   OR I am not able to get what I need from them by explaining, all I'm left with is example.  Unfortunately, to often when I try to "leave it with the actor" I don't get the feel I need for my vision.  So yes, I do, from time to time, give line reads.  Just like, after several other attempts, I will get on stage and show the movement I want or show a piece of business that is just not going right.  

My bottom line, at least at this point, is that I acknowledge the "rule" and realize that it comes from the professional theater.  I try to follow it, but I am tired of not getting what I want and will often still give line reads .... I know, I should be ashamed...

-------------
Marty W

"Till next we trod the boards.."

Posted By: TonyDi
Date Posted: 1/13/11 at 7:35am
Here I go again - get ready.....!!! LINE READINGS - oh boy, what a can of worms.  Here again I think this harks back to academia more than it does in professional theater - they tell you that you MUST create the character and that no-one should give you much beyond direction of where to stand on stage and other more innocuous things - but NEVER line readings given to your cast/actors by the director. Heaven forbid! In more professional situations, there simply is less NEED to do that but still does and should remain as a means to demonstrate in the interest of time and expediency, what you as director want from the actor without the need for B.S. ideas to get them to "find it" themselves.

SORRY that's hogwash.  I am the one as director who comes up with the concept, the vision if you will, the entire and complete understanding of the script, the author's intention, and my own viewpoints on what I'd like to see - taking into account what an audience might like to see and what actors might like to sink their teeth into.  I'm the one who hears in my head how I think a line should be delivered and when I don't hear it (bear in mind it's an experience issue as well) but when I don't hear it the way I want to hear it or think it should be delivered IN CONTEXT, in good taste taking into account the action, the dialogue, the style, the author's intent (in MY opinion) - then it's UP TO ME AS DIRECTOR to get the actor to say it like I think it should be said.

NOW THEN here's where my contention takes over.  I'm told that as a director (again academia talking) that I should use analogies, metaphors, imagry, concepts, ideas and so forth and allow the ACTOR to figure out what the hell I'm talking about until I can get him or her to deliver the line like I expect to hear it.  WHAT A FREAKIN' GIGANTIC WASTE OF TIME!! I simply do NOT have that much time to waste when I'm directing a show.  Partly that's because I usually wind up wearing more than one hat and time is always a commodity that cannot be wasted.  Therefore, I WARN all my casts that I DO give line readings.  That is based, I tell them, on the fact that it is simply easier to demonstrate by giving the line reading how I want them to deliver it - and I AM open to discussion and ideas about it - but how I want them to deliver a line rather than waste time trying to make them understand through some other voodoo means - what I'm trying to get them to do.  Sorry - but I simply am too direct and too busy to waste time trying to find the analogy or metaphor that will allow THEM to "discover" how the line should be delivered to satisfy MY concept.  I warn them I do it - IF NECESSARY. And surprisingly I really never have to do THAT much to get the lines delivered as I see it.  I emphasize that it's not that I don't trust their judgement or their abilities - it's just how I see it and frankly when my name is on the top - I want it like I want it. And I don't waste my or their time leading them by the hand using less direct methods to deliver a line(s) like I want to hear them.  And again it comes from experience of acting, directing and being IN THEIR SHOES.  I detest ambiguity. Partly that's why my responses and posts are so long-winded. I hate leaving anything out.  And I know more rhetoric often causes ambiguity (why I don't know) I still maintain that I say it all so there is nothing left out.  AND when I direct - yes, I give line readings and see absolutely NO problem with it - and no actor that I know of has ever questioned my doing that.  They might sometimes disagree but I've always been open with my casts in that, I allow them the freedom to disagree - at which point we discuss it and share the reasons why I want things said a certain way.  Sometimes I concede.  But I do tell them in the end, it's MY choice and more often than not, it's worked quite well.

I just get a little sick and tired of so much garbage being taught in academia that is so unlike and so unnecessary or ridiculous in the real world of doing theater.  NOT that I'm opposed to learning, being taught. It's just the content that gets or worse, doesn't get taught in schools. 

Simply - line readings save time, gets it said and expressed without wasting time trying to get someone to deliver a line a certain way by some less direct means and finally gets it done after which we can move ahead to less involved things.  I see no problem at all.  Don't ALWAYS believe everything someone tells you, or tries to teach you when you hear that "it's always been done that way"......including what I'M TELLING YOU.  Don't believe me - just develop your own methods and experience and time will teach you more than anything.

And MartyW - NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF giving line readings - I mean WHY WASTE YOURS AND EVERYONE ELSE'S TIME going the voodoo route so the actor can feel he or she created this role from their own vast storehouse of knowledge and experience.............when often they have NEITHER!!! Experienced actors don't require it as much but they too have "ideas" that don't gel with YOUR concept as a director.  The mark of a good actor is to deliver what the director wants without question.....IF you have a director that knows what they're doing.  I say you CAN question anything and hopefully you can come to an agreement favorably in the best interests of the show. There have been some directors I've worked with who were tyrannical. NO changes, alterations, actor involvement. NOT my style believe me. I can learn too - and have which is why I do things the way I do them now.  Experience and mistakes have been there - I learn from it all.  Bear in mind a good director will NOT make his actors look bad. And in the end - whose name is at the top?  The DIRECTOR's!! He has to take the hits too - sometimes at the expense of the actors but if something is stupid - at least the actors can say - "that's what the director told me to do"!! If something stupid gets done, the director has nobody to blame but him/her self!!

BACK IN THE CAVE TONY!!

TonyDi

-------------
"Almost famous"

Date Posted: 1/13/11 at 8:05am
Tony Clap

-------------
Marty W

Posted By: pdavis69
Date Posted: 1/13/11 at 9:15am
Bravo Tony!
As the Dirctor everything on that stage reflects on me; the acting, the set, the dressing, the lighting.  This is my vision and if someone is not delivering the line in the way my "vision" wants, then it is my job to help them get there.  If this means I have to say "because I'm the mommy and I say so" then so be it. 
But then I have also been accused of being a caveman as well.

-------------
Patrick L. Davis
Fort Findlay Playhouse

Date Posted: 1/13/11 at 12:03pm
I understand what TonyDi is saying, but I'll only resort to giving line readings to my actors as a last resort.  (Unless we're talking about misunderstanding some idiom or generational mode of speech - then it's just a lack of experience on the part of the actor and I'll step in to explain it.) 

I don't like being a little too quick to give a line reading, however, because I worry about stifling my actors - making them afraid to try anything on their own.  I'd rather have them "discover" the right reading - or, at least, an appropriate one.  So often, there is more than one way to say just about anything.

As for who gets the glory:  We all know that if the play's a success the actors get the credit.  If the show fails, it's the director's fault.  No big deal.

I love to direct - but you gotta deal with those damn actors.  The greatest challenge lies in bending your vision to accommodate your actors' abilities.  Yes, we challenge the actors, and they do their level best to deliver; but inevitably something you want will be outside of their ability to deliver.  Sometimes it's a minor point, sometimes not.  At that point you work with their strengths to get the best you can from them - even if it means altering some aspect of the play's impact.  It's more important for me to present a comprehensive whole to the audience, rather than have one actor displayed as being obviously out of his depth.  Your primary function as a director is to protect the show.

I love to act - but you gotta deal with those damn directors.  The greatest challenge can be dealing with a director who is less than well-versed in the intricacies of directing a play.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not some know-it-all who claims to know more than anyone else.  If I have difficulty with a director I keep it to myself, and I don't cop any kind of attitude about it either.  Something like that doesn't help the show in any way, shape, or form.  When I do a show, I put myself into the director's hands and give him all I can give.  The directors I respect are the ones who allow input from their actors.  Most do.  Some don't.

I try to be the kind of director I like to work for and, so far, it seems to be working all right for me.  I'm very proud of the fact that a pleasantly large percentage of my actors get nominated for local acting awards.  I'm extraordinarily pleased when one of my actors "surprises" his compatriots; when they say, "I never knew you could do something like that!"  Those moments (along with watching an audience leaving the theatre chattering away about the play they've just seen) are what I live for.  Absolutely priceless.  All I need is the accomplishment; I have no need at all of the "recognition."

Date Posted: 1/14/11 at 7:11am
Originally posted by edh915

I understand what TonyDi is saying, but I'll only resort to giving line readings to my actors as a last resort.  (Unless we're talking about misunderstanding some idiom or generational mode of speech - then it's just a lack of experience on the part of the actor and I'll step in to explain it.) 

I don't like being a little too quick to give a line reading, however, because I worry about stifling my actors - making them afraid to try anything on their own.  I'd rather have them "discover" the right reading - or, at least, an appropriate one.  So often, there is more than one way to say just about anything.

As for who gets the glory:  We all know that if the play's a success the actors get the credit.  If the show fails, it's the director's fault.  No big deal.

I love to direct - but you gotta deal with those damn actors.  The greatest challenge lies in bending your vision to accommodate your actors' abilities.  Yes, we challenge the actors, and they do their level best to deliver; but inevitably something you want will be outside of their ability to deliver.  Sometimes it's a minor point, sometimes not.  At that point you work with their strengths to get the best you can from them - even if it means altering some aspect of the play's impact.  It's more important for me to present a comprehensive whole to the audience, rather than have one actor displayed as being obviously out of his depth.  Your primary function as a director is to protect the show.

I love to act - but you gotta deal with those damn directors.  The greatest challenge can be dealing with a director who is less than well-versed in the intricacies of directing a play.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not some know-it-all who claims to know more than anyone else.  If I have difficulty with a director I keep it to myself, and I don't cop any kind of attitude about it either.  Something like that doesn't help the show in any way, shape, or form.  When I do a show, I put myself into the director's hands and give him all I can give.  The directors I respect are the ones who allow input from their actors.  Most do.  Some don't.

I try to be the kind of director I like to work for and, so far, it seems to be working all right for me.  I'm very proud of the fact that a pleasantly large percentage of my actors get nominated for local acting awards.  I'm extraordinarily pleased when one of my actors "surprises" his compatriots; when they say, "I never knew you could do something like that!"  Those moments (along with watching an audience leaving the theatre chattering away about the play they've just seen) are what I live for.  Absolutely priceless.  All I need is the accomplishment; I have no need at all of the "recognition."

I promise I will NOT go on at length - my posts are always too long.  ALAS, Ed I really AGREE with everything you've said.  I too, allow the actors to "find" their character. Actually I spend a GREAT DEAL of time developing the characters, discussing them, working individually even with actors if and when they need it - ESPECIALLY in shows that are not always comedic or musicals - although those are, in MY opinion, to be dealt with in the same way to make the characters more believable. BUT in dramatic or even lighter scripts I do like to dig deeply and talk about the characters with the actors - guiding them as I go along with what I want in mind for them to do.  The key is - that when it comes to hearing things a particualr way, to me it's much more expedient to simply give the line reading as the example rather than waste time beating around the bush. Time is always our enemy in community theater or even in professional theater as well.

I agree like you actors when you're a director are insane. Directors when you're an actor are insane. The key is to go with the flow. HOWEVER as in one blatant case I can recall - as a director, I had an actor who was inherently VERY GOOD.  But he was a case and a task to work with. A bit cosmic, a bit taken with himself - HATED having notes at the end of rehearsals. Asked me very inane and often goading questions most of the time.  Asked me after rolling his eyes many times during notes, "what is my motivation in such and such a scene".  My response - "BECAUSE I EFFIN' TOLD YOU TO DO IT"!!! BAD response on my part. But he got the point.  Directors - I've had a few who choreographed every step, gesture, quarter-turn, etc., etc. WORST director I ever dealt with.

BUT I said all that to say this - I just have learned to "deal with it" and do the best I possibly can in either role - actor or director. And if line readings were the only fault I have as a director, well I'd be doing great.  I'm not an end-all, but when as I said, my name is at the top, I want what I want and "the shortest distance between two points is a straight line" - so line readings - for which I apologize - are given to save time. And knowing I do that from the outset - most of the people who have worked for me get over.  I always tell them - if they're going to exhibit any - to leave their egos at the door. And if there is ANY ego at all - it will come from me - ALWAYS ON THEIR BEHALF!!

But yes, I agree with everything you said - in theory. It's such a subjective, experience based thing that makes what I do, what you or anyone else do, different for each of us. And if it works for you, by all means I support that. And I really DO try different things, different approaches to see what works best.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose but you keeping pressing on regardless.

As an old British friend of mine used to say - using the slogan of the RAF - the Royal British Air Force - "PER ARDUA, AD ASTRA"....."BY LABOR TO THE STARS".  That puts things into perspective for me quite often. Fruits of the labors - as you indicate - anonymity without the need for the recognition - EXCEPT for the ACTORS who put it all out there and make you proud.

Thanks for your comments - and again this is too long.  Sorry.

TonyDi

-------------
"Almost famous"

Date Posted: 1/14/11 at 11:18am
Thanks for the comments on lines readings and everything else. I feel better that there are times when it is OK to help my actors along.

I agree that actors and directors are insane, that is why the crew always has the most fun.

BTW- I think the very best part of directing is when you are working away on a play, and an actor comes in with an amazing ad lib idea that you never considered, and it works. Since I work with high schoolers, it is a pretty exciting moment when someone begins to think like an actor. Of course, by the time they are seniors these same actors are so full of themselves you can't stand it anymore. But that is ok, too. College will knock that out of them pretty effectively.

Date Posted: 1/14/11 at 11:21am
Tony.
  Love your posts, yes they do get a little long. But just wondering, above you state "So line readings-for which I apologize..." are you apologizing to us, or to the actor you are giving lines too??  As I wrote earlier, I give line reading to actors, and have gotten them from directors, and I don't see any reason to apologize. Like you said, time is the enemy, and I am a "Get 'er Done" kinda person. Thank God I never had any training, so I never have to worry about all the "Rules"

Date Posted: 1/14/11 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Majicwrench

Tony.
  Love your posts, yes they do get a little long. But just wondering, above you state "So line readings-for which I apologize..." are you apologizing to us, or to the actor you are giving lines too??  As I wrote earlier, I give line reading to actors, and have gotten them from directors, and I don't see any reason to apologize. Like you said, time is the enemy, and I am a "Get 'er Done" kinda person. Thank God I never had any training, so I never have to worry about all the "Rules"

Well Majic, the short answer - were I to ever be short - is YES!! Tongue  I make an apology to the actors up front when we get started in rehearsals although AFTER we do a complete read-through first so I can hear them and sort of see where they MIGHT go with things.  It's an apology of sorts in that - I DO tell them briefly that I DO give line readings and I explain why that is, apologizing generally but primarily for those actors who think they don't need it, in order to diminish their aversion to that. And as they are then aware, I don't bring it up again but rather SUGGEST that they deliver a line here and there as I demonstrate. They don't always match me - but I like the idea that they do go ahead and try knowing it's what I want.  And again not that I'm a know-it-all either by ANY stretch - but I have been at this a very long time, I know what I am doing and I know what I want when I direct. I TOO like those "aha" moments when an actor comes up with stuff I didn't think of.  I TRY to let them all know I AM a collaborator but that in the end I have the last word.  Mainly you realize THEY cannot see what they're doing and what's going on onstage - I have the "removed" viewpoint and I've learned the lessons well over the years to know what likely will work and what likely will not.  It only took most of the 50 years to learn it - but I think I have some semblance of understanding in that regard.

Anyway I AM also apologizing to the members of this board as well because I know opinions vary, techniques vary from director to director. And while anything I usually EVER express is nothing more than opinion, I try not to be disagreeable when someone expresses theirs, right or wrong in MY opinion.  Whatever gets the job done, butts in the seats and dollars in the till - I'm kind'a good with that for sure.  Clap

But thank you for your words and kind support - long winded my posts are or not.  I TRY really hard not to be - but if we were sitting down and talking all this would take moments to say - plus I can type really, really fast so it's like I'm talking in moments. SO I will apologize for the long-windedness as well. Brevity is not my strong suit.

TonyDi

-------------
"Almost famous"

Date Posted: 1/14/11 at 1:50pm
TonyDi - I don't suppose you live and work anywhere in the Chicago area?  You sound like a fun (read: "good, constructive, knowledgeable and hard-working") director.  I think you're a director I could easily love working for.

Date Posted: 1/14/11 at 1:51pm
 I apologize when I do something wrong. I do not consider giving line readings wrong, so I don't apologize for doing so.
Keep up the good work,
   Keith

Date Posted: 1/14/11 at 2:09pm
Tony, your last post reminds me of one of my favorite sayings... "All Community Theaters  are not created equal..." Bottom line, make it work, whatever it takes.

-------------
Marty W

Date Posted: 1/14/11 at 6:29pm
 I'm not sure I could work with Tony, he might talk too much...

Date Posted: 1/15/11 at 10:00pm
I have to agree that much of what I learned in college way back when has been gradually thrown out the window as I've learned how to actually get a community theater show up. As others have said there are a lot of practices you just can't indulge in when time is at a premium.  I've got no problem giving or receiving line readings.

That being said, as an actor it does somewhat bother me if I'm getting the whole script dictated to me as can sometimes happen. If it's just as easy to say something like "he's mad at her here" why not try that and let the actor have a whack at it?  Most of the time an actor comes up with an appropriate line reading that way and if not, then you can tell them how to say it later.

Also, as a director I've stopped trying to micro-manage line readings from the start the way I used to.  I let the rehearsals go on for a while and if a line reading is still bothering me after a few weeks then I'll say something.  I find that a lot of the time people figure it out without having to say anything.  What I was finding was that with two or three weeks to go a scene would be going along great and suddenly you could see where the actors were going out of the moment to do the lines the way the director (me) had told them to.

Posted By: theactordavid
Date Posted: 1/17/11 at 8:13am
When I feel an actor isn't giving me the "right" reading of a line (and of course that's my interpretation of "right" at work here), I find it's usually because the actor doesn't have a clear understanding of the moment.  So I work with them by asking questions to try and drive them toward that understanding.

What is happening right now?
What is your objective at this moment?
What obstacles are in your way?
What are you trying to make happen?
What are you trying to say to the other characters?

The list goes on.

I'll sometimes have them say the line different ways, putting emphasis on other words, in an attempt to zero in on the "right" way by process of elimination.  I'll also ask them if they are aware of any reference, either earlier or later in the script, that might offer clarification.

If, after all this, the actor still doesn't seem to "get it", I'll explain my thinking and offer the line reading. 

I think it's very important that the actor understand the moment, and not just be a parrot.  Only with this understanding will the playwright's truth be presented to the audience, which I hold as a critical element in any production.  If you don't tell the playwright's story (truthfully, as best as can be interpreted by all), then you're telling someone else's story.  And that's not what you all signed up for.

-------------
There are no small roles, only roles with a low line-load and minimal stage time.

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com

Date Posted: 1/17/11 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by theactordavid

When I feel an actor isn't giving me the "right" reading of a line (and of course that's my interpretation of "right" at work here), I find it's usually because the actor doesn't have a clear understanding of the moment.  So I work with them by asking questions to try and drive them toward that understanding.

What is happening right now?
What is your objective at this moment?
What obstacles are in your way?
What are you trying to make happen?
What are you trying to say to the other characters?

The list goes on.

I'll sometimes have them say the line different ways, putting emphasis on other words, in an attempt to zero in on the "right" way by process of elimination.  I'll also ask them if they are aware of any reference, either earlier or later in the script, that might offer clarification.

I hate to say it but as an actor I'd be tuning you out after your second or third question and would feel like asking "let's just skip to the part where you tell me what you want." But I'm old and crotchety. Smile

Date Posted: 1/17/11 at 3:08pm
Ha ha ha.  Oh my, I've left you with a bit of a wrong impression.  It's one of the reasons I hate the impersonal, two-dimensional, soundless, black-on-white asynchronous worlds of email and forums, and yet... here we are.

What is barely implied in my post, but hopefully I can clarify here, is that I was giving a list of questions that an actor MIGHT be asked to help him understand the moment better.  I surely did not mean to imply that I would give him the "third degree" and waste his, my, and the cast's time on such matters.  Sometimes all you have to do is ask the one question that leads to the "a-Ha" moment, and you're back on your way.  I suspect, jayzehr, that I'd never need to engage you similarly, but I've worked with enough actors who think "hit your mark, say your line, and exit" is the essence of good acting, and they rarely go three for three. For those, there aren't enough questions.  For most, there's no need. 

The process of delving into a script to find the truth and coming to an understanding of your character so you can deliver your lines and action honestly is what theater is about.  Otherwise, you'd just give the cast their scripts and tell them to return on show night with their lines memorized and pray they don't knock each other down.

I'll offer what I hope is a somewhat interesting (and brief) story.  On a tv show about Peter Brook and his experiences directing Shakespeare, Patrick Stewart told about how he often met with Brook to discuss his dialogue, and after each discussion on a word or phrase, Stewart would underline it in his script. By opening night, his entire part was underlined.  If Stewart (an experienced Shakespearean actor) can come into a play needing direction on his dialogue, and Brook is willing to share his time discussing it with him until understanding is reached, then the process is okay with me.

-------------
There are no small roles, only roles with a low line-load and minimal stage time.

Date Posted: 1/19/11 at 7:15am
Originally posted by edh915

TonyDi - I don't suppose you live and work anywhere in the Chicago area?  You sound like a fun (read: "good, constructive, knowledgeable and hard-working") director.  I think you're a director I could easily love working for.

Hey Ed,

Nope I don't live near Chicago - it's about 7 hours away. And it's too cold, windy and dangerous. But thank you for your kind words. As for the knowledge and hard work, well first of all as I've said before, I've been doing this stuff almost 50 years and I DO work harder than many to get things done. I have to because I have to compensate for my lack in so many things. But that's just a work ethic I grew into quite early learning from my hard working Mother who I admired and respected. Let's put it this way, hey...I'm a FUN GUY!! Sometimes!! I CAN be a royal pain in the rear...so I'm told. But I try not to be.

I'm not sure I could work with Tony, he might talk too much...

And MAJIC - I know, I know I talk too much. But I've said this before too - I HATE to leave anything out or unsaid that would or could cause confusion or ambiguity.  Though I REALIZE FULLY that too much can easily confuse things too. Though I try my level best to be lucid in what I say and complete if NOT concise (which I am not). Sorry I'll try to do better!! HAHA!! Embarrassed

TonyDi

-------------
"Almost famous"

Date Posted: 1/19/11 at 7:20am
Otherwise, you'd just give the cast their scripts and tell them to return on show night with their lines memorized and pray they don't knock each other down.

TheactorDavid - the "otherwise part" above is precisely what David Mamet says in his book TRUE AND FALSE - but again, he's coming from a standpoint as playwright and hard-ass director type. HE'd just as soon the actors learn the lines without interpretation, go out on stage deliver them and then get the hell off the stage leaving the audience to interpret in their own minds what just was said or what happened.  Far too risky with even the most seasoned professional actors. But could be a take on the whole thing - often worthy of consideration in many cases!! HAHA!!

TonyDi

P.S.

I like some of Mamet's comments but he does go off once in a while. And I don't recommend it be done this way but it's a way nonetheless.

-------------
"Almost famous"

Date Posted: 1/19/11 at 7:41am
Originally posted by TonyDi

TheactorDavid - the "otherwise part" above is precisely what David Mamet says in his book TRUE AND FALSE - but again, he's coming from a standpoint as playwright and hard-ass director type. HE'd just as soon the actors learn the lines without interpretation, go out on stage deliver them and then get the hell off the stage leaving the audience to interpret in their own minds what just was said or what happened.  Far too risky with even the most seasoned professional actors. But could be a take on the whole thing - often worthy of consideration in many cases!! HAHA!!

TonyDi

P.S.

I like some of Mamet's comments but he does go off once in a while. And I don't recommend it be done this way but it's a way nonetheless.

Love the book, love Mamet, don't take everything he says as gospel.  But he has stimulated my own thinking and I've come away with a different opinion on several topics.

Not to be annoyingly picky on this, but I think the reference you make can be found on page 9, wherein he says "The actor is onstage to communicate the play to the audience. This is the beginning and end of his job....There is no character.  There are only lines on a page.... When he or she says them simply, in an attempt to achieve an object more or less like that suggested by the author, the audience sees the illusion of character upon the stage."

I think the highlighted words speak volumes, IMHO.  The point is to get the playwright's intention across to the audience, and that comes from understanding the reason for the words (and action) as written. With that understanding solidly in place, I believe it makes it easier on the actors to deliver their lines "correctly" and avoid necessitating line readings being given.  If that understanding is not forthcoming, the time constraints of theater (community and otherwise) do warrant a line reading and moving on.

I worked with a director once who, in a fashion, worked the other way.  If you said a line in some way that he didn't like, during notes he'd tell you not to say it that way.  He gave no indication as to why, or in what manner you should say it.  So, you'd keep trying until either you go it "right", or he just gave up on you.  Never worked with him again. Smile

-------------

Posted By: jonplaywright
Date Posted: 1/23/11 at 11:54pm
Actually, TonyDi, the name at the top is not yours but the playwright's.  That's a standard provision of a Dramatists Guild contract.

You seem to have a strong distrust for "academia," but the better academic theatre programs are by and large populated by people who actually work in the professional theatre.  For example, at Harvard we worked with quite a few professionals affiliated with the American Repertory Theatre (e.g. Bob Brustein, David Wheeler, Greg Gunter, etc).

Speaking as someone who writes for a living and has directed both amateurs and professionals, I consider a line reading a last resort.  If I'm directing, my job is to guide my collaborators, not to play puppet master.  Nor is it a waste of my time to help an actor understand the "why" of a line; it's my job.  And generally, if the actor understands the "why," the director will get the "how" he wants.  (Of course, if you've got students who are just learning English you're going to have to help them more, but they're the exception, not the rule.)  Forcing an actor to "say it this way"--one thing I've learned as a playwright is that I often can't even say it that way myself--may get the line to "sound right," but it's also likely to be all surface and ultimately feel false, since the actor is just slapping the right color paint on a foundation that's not there.

Jon

-------------
Co-Chair, Alliance of Los Angeles Playwrights
Resident Playwright, Final Draft

YouthPLAYS, plays for young actors and audiences
http://www.youthplays.com - www.youthplays.com

Posted By: NDTENOR
Date Posted: 1/24/11 at 12:59am
If I were doing a professional theater production of David Mamet and David Mamet was the director he has every right in the world to give me a "line reading" and tell me how to "say" the line because A) He wrote it and he knows what the line means an how it is suppose to be said. B) He is paying me to say it how he wants it said.

If , as an actor I feel differently, I probably should get another job.

Now if some other director is doing a David Mamet play the question becomes do they really know how David Mamet wants certain lines to be said? Should these directors give line readings? And what if the "other" director and actor differ on the interpretation of a character?

My feeling is this : If I were being paid to be in a production then, as an actor, personally I would probably bow to the wishes of the director and do it "his way or her way". Even if they differed from my own interpretation. ( It is a job after all.)

However in a community theater production ,were I'm not getting paid ,I do not feel at all the same. Yes, I have had differences of opinion about characters with a few of my directors . And on a number of occasions I have had some lengthy discussions with the director. And on one occasion I left the production ( really was sort of fired ) because we did not see eye to eye.

No, it is not my feeling that the director of a community theater production is "always right". If they were the author the production I would probably feel different..... but they are not. But a community theater director should be able to at least explain logically why they want things a certain way. And as an actor in a community theater production I do NOT just "read lines" like a puppet but "interpret" characters as that is one of the main reasons that I do theater. And I put a lot of "homework" into understanding the character. If the community theater director wants to "fire me" because I have my own interpretation of the character.... they can do that. But possibly it would be better and easier to convince me to do things a certain way for logical reasons.

So the bottom line is this , as an actor I don't mind "line readings" . But you have to "give me a good reason" other than " this is the way I want it" or I'll probably quit your show.    

Date Posted: 1/24/11 at 11:52am
Wow, thanks for all the comments. I feel a little less concerned about giving the occasional line reading for my non-native speakers, but I am also working more with them to make sure they understand the motivation behind the line. I had a pretty funny experience. I had a student who was making a complete hash of our first scene. I asked him what his character was thinking and he said " I have no idea!" It was a great teaching opportunity for the whole cast as I explained that they should always have some idea what their character is thinking. If they don't, they need to ask. He did improve a little after that.
Anyway, I am enjoying the heated debates. Passion is what this theater thing is all about, right?

Date Posted: 1/24/11 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by peacock

I asked him what his character was thinking and he said " I have no idea!"

This is a perfectly acceptable answer for the first week or so.  After that it should morph from "Um.... welll..... (think think think, why did he ask me that now) ...... I guess maybe he's thinking that  ________" into something a bit more solid without as much delay, to finally a quick response with a high degree of accuracy.  After two months of rehearsals, if you still get "I have no idea" or "Um.... well..... (think think think)", then you know they aren't thinking about it while working on their part/character on their free time, and you're working with reciters. Keep up the efforts Peacock, and that "little improvement" will grow.

-------------

Posted By: Rorgg
Date Posted: 1/25/11 at 5:14pm
Chiming in here even a bit late, since this is an interesting topic.

As an actor, I don't really mind a director giving me a line reading, since (I hope) I'm adept enough at interpreting the nuance of language to reverse-engineer the intent behind that reading and apply it to the rest of the scene, and the character as a whole.

Now, that said, I don't expect every other actor arround in CT (and I'm currently working both sides of the fence) to be able to make that interpretive leap.  And THAT's why I don't like to give line reads as a director.  I know Tony talked about how it's faster, but in a lot of cases ... I don't think that's necessarily the case.  Because if I'm not getting the reading I want, it's because of one of two things:

1. The actor and I aren't agreeing on the interpretation of the character speaking that line; or
2. The actor and I DO agree, but they just can't do it.

In the former case (and let's hope they're all this way) starting with trying to make a comment or ask a question to bring the actor onto my page is actually very efficient in the longterm.  Because they will (let's hope!) apply that idea about the character to EVERYTHING, and we won't have to go through this in the next line, the next page, or the next act.  And, in my experience, sometimes their resistance is based on a very valid interpretation that I might like.  Sometimes I agree, usually I don't, but I like having the discussion (after rehearsal if it gets to this point).  And THAT discussion is generally a VERY good sign at the CT level that the actor is engaged and thoughtful enough to do a good job.

Now, if it's the latter case ... yes, then the reading is warranted, but this happens a lot less than I think.

Now, on to the "Who's the Boss?" bit.  If there's an argument with the director over how to do it?  Director wins.  I've been there as an actor.  And if I don't see it, I will make my case as long as it's reasonable to do so (with lengthy asides outside rehearsal time).  But there have been times when I've done that, and the director decided to stay with the option that I thought was weaker.  So, I did it.  Because, in the end, somebody's got to be the final word on that, and that's what the director is for.  And that's just the structure of theatre -- paid or not paid.  Now, you can always just decide it offends your artistic sensibility and quit ... but that may not be good for you in the long run.  I think, though, it's a better option than wilfully sabotaging the director's authority.

Oh, and I AM in the Chicago area.  It's not so bad ... I hardly get shot at all!  (The weather is horrible, though).

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info