Forum Discription: For everything else
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4784
Printed Date: 5/19/24 at 2:57am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Sawing a woman in half on stage
Posted By: jerseyactor
Subject: Sawing a woman in half on stage
Date Posted: 9/02/10 at 5:49pm

I have been directing a high school show for the past several years now, and last year two of the upcoming seniors asked if they could try their hand at writing this year's play.  They've worked hard all summer and it's quite a good script that we've had the go-ahead to produce.

They have grande ideas, of course, and I'm trying to figure out a way to stage some of the things they've written into the script.  Perhaps you guys can provide some suggestions.

One of the characters is a magician.  At one point, he is supposed to do the classic sawing in half of a beautiful woman.  Does anyone have any idea where we could come across (preferably to rent) one of those box-like contraptions used to saw people in half?  We have a considerable budget, so I'm not too concerned about cost.  I just have no idea where to go about finding one (if I even can find one.)

Does anyone know of an effective smoke machine that will provide a large "puff" of smoke as opposed to the fog-like smoke that streams out of most smoke machines?

Finally, any ideas on how to make a character "appear" onstage as if they have come out of thin air.  Yes, it has to do with that magician, again.  I have an idea, but maybe some of you have had to do something similar before.  For the record, we have no trap doors on the stage and the set will likely be one level, so there's no option of having someone come up from underneath the stage.

Yes, the students seem to think we have the capabilities of putting on a Vegas spectacle, haha.  In the end, if we can't make the ideas work, we'll have to change them, but for now I'm trying to go with what the students have written.

Replies:
Posted By: Spectrum
Date Posted: 9/03/10 at 11:25am
I know what you mean by starting out with "the stars are the limit" and eventually, as opening night approaches, having to settle for "down to Earth."  This production sounds interesting and I'm sure your audiences will enjoy it.  To that end I would suggest you contact a PROFESSIONAL magician in your area, and hire him/her to consult with you for the illusions.  First, the magician will probably have all the right "connections" and/or equipment, and he/she will be able to make the illusions "pay off" from experience.  The only stumbling block I can forsee is possible trouble with "protection of proprietary information or technique."  It would still be worth looking into.  Best of luck!

-------------
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Posted By: KEB54
Date Posted: 9/03/10 at 3:36pm
"Finally, any ideas on how to make a character "appear" onstage as if they have come out of thing air.  Yes, it has to do with that magician, again.  I have an idea, but maybe some of you have had to do something similar before.  For the record, we have no trap doors on the stage and the set will likely be one level, so there's no option of having someone come up from underneath the stage."

Misdirection.

I was the person that appeared once. I thought it was stupid, but apparently it worked. Audience members kept saying "How did you do that!"

I simply stood behind a leg, then as someone on the other side of the stage exclaimed "Oh!" I jumped out at the same time as she pointed at me. The "Oh!" drew the audience's attention from me for a split second and her point/reaction made the audience look back. Apparently it made "appear out of thin air".

-------------
KEB

Posted By: jerseyactor
Date Posted: 9/05/10 at 12:20am
Thanks for the advice so far.  I will definitely look into the suggestions, and welcome any others.

Posted By: ianhornby
Date Posted: 11/26/10 at 6:04am
Appearing person - Google "Pepper's Ghost"

-------------
I demand a second opinion

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info