Print Page | Close Window

Actors letting you down

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Producing Theater
Forum Name: Directing
Forum Discription: For questions about handling shows, actors, crew, board members, children ...or do we repeat ourselves?
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4775
Printed Date: 4/28/24 at 5:15pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Actors letting you down
Posted By: Thudster
Subject: Actors letting you down
Date Posted: 8/29/10 at 2:04pm
I saw a couple of threads similar to mine, but thought I'd throw this out anyway.

Is there any way to get and keep actors?

I wrote a flash drama that was accepted for a festival in Minnesota. Back in June, I lined up 3 good actresses, ones I had worked with before. Performance was to be Sept 9th, so lots of lead time. At the end of July, when rehearsal time came, so did the excuses. They all eventually had to drop out, so I sent out the word and lined up 3 more who said they'd be glad to do it... and then I had to recast again... and finally, last Friday I had to drop out because 2 MORE of my actresses dropped out! In all, I had 11 actresses commit to my 3 parts, and with 2 weeks to go I had done a total of 4 rehearsals with various ones. There simply wasn't enough time anymore to prepare for the festival, so I had to cancel.

Is this just a general problem, or is it that I had to use younger actresses? (the characters were in high school). Does it ever get better?

-- Daryl

Replies:
Posted By: Tallsor
Date Posted: 8/30/10 at 10:38am
Thudster, see my posting ( http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4772 - http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4772  ) - about how we've just been having major problems with conflicts. Yeah, it's a big show (it's Shakespeare), but we added an extra week of rehearsal just because we knew we'd have problems with conflicts - but even then, we've had problems.

Date Posted: 8/30/10 at 11:56am
Okay, it always makes it better to know you're not the only one having problems. Thanks!

Date Posted: 8/31/10 at 9:55am
Thudster, same here. Thank YOU.

Date Posted: 8/31/10 at 11:48am
Is this your first time directing? I can't say I was very thrilled with my first try. It was a small production, and there was STILL too much to do, even without worry about casting (which was about 90% of my efforts).

Date Posted: 8/31/10 at 5:52pm
Well, I'm stage managing the production - my significant other was the director. It was his first full-length show, but had directed a number of one acts.

I directed last yea's play for this group, and directed about four other full-length shows. I don't know how much of it is the organization (it's not the best known organization) and how much of it was just a growing trend.

Posted By: KEB54
Date Posted: 9/03/10 at 3:18pm
We have a pretty tight-knit theatre community.  Everyone knows pretty much everyone else amonst the various theatres. Everyone tries to support one another. In other words, we communicate and respect each other.

If an actor ever drops out of a commitment, everyone, from all theatres, will know about it.  The actor better have a very good reason for it. I'm not saying they will be blacklisted, but it will certainly be a large consideration by any theatre come audition time.  Who wants an actor, regardless of how good he is, if he drops out before performances?

Another thing most theatres do is have the actors sign a contract of sorts. It is actually a list of key information such as show dates and times, and a agreement to policies such as not missing rehearsals in the final two weeks before opening, ect. They sign it when they accept the role. This is to avoid confussion and to layout expectations.

-------------
KEB

Date Posted: 9/03/10 at 5:18pm
We have them sign an agreement on the audition form - didn't seem to help Tongue.

Posted By: KEB54
Date Posted: 9/05/10 at 1:55am
Originally posted by Tallsor

We have them sign an agreement on the audition form - didn't seem to help Tongue.

Are they ever cast again? If they are you're re-enforcing bad behavior.

If there are not consequences to their actions, why should they honor their commitments?

-------------
KEB

Date Posted: 9/05/10 at 10:11am
This was the first time I worked with some of them; second time for one batch, but they were fine last year.

Trust me - if I ever direct again, I will not be working with them again - but I direct so rarely, that's not much of a threat....

Date Posted: 9/05/10 at 12:29pm
We ran into that at the Pageant as well, it's very explicit about showing up for rehearsals and letting the director know if you'll be gone. Doesn't seem to make any difference, if they don't want to show up, they won't. And you can threaten all you want, but it doesn't seem to matter.

The problem is, they're volunteers. They're not getting paid, and it's actually costing them money to drive to the theater to rehearse. So what can you really do? Say "Show up on time or you don't have to do it any more"? All you can hope for is to have really good actors who are willing to perform.

Posted By: jayzehr
Date Posted: 9/05/10 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Thudster

So what can you really do? Say "Show up on time or you don't have to do it any more"?

Actually, that is a serious option.

Most people really want to be in the show even if they are just volunteers.

Date Posted: 9/06/10 at 9:54am
Originally posted by jayzehr

Actually, that is a serious option.Most people really want to be in the show even if they are just volunteers.

I know. I mean if their attitude is that they don't want to show up for rehearsal (without a good reason) then nothing you say or do is really going to make them come to rehearsal. If they're not committed to showing up, what can you really do about it? It's a minority that does it, but it makes it very hard for the rest of the cast.

Date Posted: 9/06/10 at 5:16pm
My point is that the problem actors will keep missing rehearsals if they know they can do so and still be in the play.

So one option is to tell them that if they miss rehearsals they will be replaced and then follow through on that. If people know they will be replaced and they really want to be in the show, they will show up. And most people really want to be in the show.

Of course, that's a harsh option that I'm not very comfortable with. And of course, you have to beat the bushes for a replacement. I just know that as I've become more lenient over the years I seem to have more problems with this while the other main director for our group doesn't tolerate it and doesn't have problems.

Date Posted: 9/06/10 at 5:48pm
Harsh, but probably exactly what needs to be done. Thanks, jayzehr.

Date Posted: 9/06/10 at 6:24pm
The downside of that is issuing the warning and then not following through which I've been guilty of.

Date Posted: 9/07/10 at 8:55am
I'm sure that would be my problem as well. I'm good at being vaguely threatening, lousy at following through.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info