Forum Discription: For how-to's and where-can-I-find
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4721
Printed Date: 5/14/24 at 1:46pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Hairspray! Cans of misting ??
Posted By: Puretonegreg
Subject: Hairspray! Cans of misting ??
Date Posted: 7/19/10 at 3:45pm
So we are doing Hairspray and I need to find out WHAT they used for the effect of walking around a stage misting themselves with hairspray.

Any ideas?   Thanks.

Greg    

-------------
Greg Cleveland
Walled Lake Western Musical Theater
www.wlwmusical.com

Replies:
Posted By: MercyTech
Date Posted: 7/20/10 at 2:53pm
We had to fake graffiti spraying, and the best we could find was OUST air freshener (no scent). It had the right amount of visible mist, made the correct sound, and did not really smell at all.

Posted By: TonyDi
Date Posted: 7/21/10 at 6:50am
How about this weird suggestion - try some cans of LYSOL spray. It should provide you the necessary look and while the propellant might not be the best thing in the world (check the can) it contains Lysol which if inhaled isn't bad for you since it's.....well LYSOL and should be safe and actually might help keep people from passing germs around!! I know, I know weird idea but maybe, just maybe, reasonable?? Don't know. Sounds like it might be a good idea. They use it in hospitals so even there inhaling it can't be bad for you - at least not as bad as hairspray.

TonyDi

-------------
"Almost famous"

Posted By: bebop
Date Posted: 7/22/10 at 10:24am
Go to your local drug store and purchase WATER in an aerosol can.  This is used for Hydrating tired skin.  Mock up a hair spray label.  Spray glue it around the water can,  and Bob's ur Uncle!!  Smile

-------------
cheers
bebop

Date Posted: 7/22/10 at 1:29pm
Thanks.  Will throw this idea in the pot and talk it all over with my TD.   

-------------
Greg Cleveland
www.wlwmusical.com

Posted By: cestdiva
Date Posted: 7/22/10 at 4:36pm
DO NOT Use Oust or Lysol!!!!!

These products contain harsh chemicals that can affect the vocal quality of your singers - short-term - and could potentially damage your actors permanently (I scarred my lungs with Lysol).

Bebop's recommendation of water in a can is your safest choice (even if it isn't the cheapest).

Your cast will thank you!

-------------
Cecily Gish

Posted By: Spectrum
Date Posted: 7/23/10 at 6:47am
Also available from some tool outlets (I think Harbor Freight carries them) are REUSABLE spray cans (used primarily for paint or bug spray), but you could use water instead.  They're not the cheapest solution (I recall they were about $10.00 each), but if your show has a long run, this might end up being more economical.

Update:  They appear to no longer be available from Harbor Freight, but I have found alternatives via the Internet.  Good luck!

-------------
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Posted By: gelcat
Date Posted: 7/30/10 at 10:20am
just be careful that the misting water actually evaporates - and doesn't accumulate on the floor/costumes.  It may be wise to plan to have fans blowing across the surface of the stage to quickly dry up any water that does accumulate.  also, if you are getting costumes consistently damp beyond normal sweat issues, extra fans in the dressing rooms may be necessary as well.

-------------
www.actorsguildonline.org
Actors Guild of Parkersburg
Parkersburg, WV

Date Posted: 7/30/10 at 11:05am
Thanks for the tip!  Hadn't thought about all that extra moisture coming down on their costumes AND WIGS.

greg    

-------------
Greg Cleveland
www.wlwmusical.com

Date Posted: 1/17/12 at 11:41am
Quess what we're doing!  What did you end up using, and how did it work out?

-------------
Parkersburg, WV

Posted By: colugino
Date Posted: 1/30/12 at 9:13pm
My theatre company did Hairspray last year. We used these: http://www.filmtools.com/diffusionincan.html

They worked great! Just DO NOT spray directly into face. The only "issue" was that the way the spray nozzle is made it sprays up instead of straight out like a normal can, but honestly none of our audience members really noticed.

Posted By: colugino
Date Posted: 1/30/12 at 9:17pm
Hopefully this doesn't post twice.

My theatre company did Hairspray last year and we used these: http://www.filmtools.com/diffusionincan.html

They worked great! The only "issue" was that the nozzles spray straight up instead of out of the front like a hairspray can actually would. Honestly none of our audience noticed. And as long as people don't go crazy spraying it, we were able to get 14 shows plus around 6 rehearsals out of each can and STILL had fog left in them. Just saying because we thought we would go through them like crazy and bought 3 cans per actor and got stuck with them - we have since used them in other things.

Date Posted: 2/10/12 at 9:27pm
I've got a line on 'smoke in a can' (GE SM200) for $4.83 a can - we only have 7 shows, so hopefully a case of 12 will get us through - not everyone gets a functioning can, though, which will save some too
I'll try to remember to post a review when the show is down.

-------------
Parkersburg, WV

Date Posted: 4/17/12 at 11:44am
so, we're in tech week! My director only has a few people with functioning cans, not crowds of people, so I'm not so concerned with running out - the only 'big deal' with the 'smoke in a can' that I got is that they are a smaller can, so I had to find a tube that the can would fit inside as a slipcover - so far, they're working well, one actor pulled the can out of the slipcover when he pulled the cap, but it was his first time doing it, and it hasn't happened since.  I've warned my cast not to spray the smoke in confined spaces as it was specifially developed for testing smoke detectors - so far, so good - now on to the scoreboard for the Miss Hairspray Contest -

-------------
Parkersburg, WV

Date Posted: 5/18/12 at 2:59pm
These worked great - I replaced Tracy's on opening night on principle, but based on weight, I think she would have been good for the whole run out of one can. 
So, I have smoke in a can slipcovers with Ultra Clutch labels in black and white and color. (green)
We have Amber and Tracy 'scoreboards' with spinning numbers, lots of joke stuff for the Har-de-har Hut, the prototype can for the Har-de-har hut, etc.,and if you are within driving distance, the big big can is in pieces for reassembly. 

-------------
Parkersburg, WV

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info