Forum Discription: For how-to's and where-can-I-find
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4635
Printed Date: 5/05/24 at 5:50pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Uses for Pool Noodles
Posted By: gelcat
Subject: Uses for Pool Noodles
Date Posted: 5/20/10 at 10:33am
Since I have seen most people add an anecdote when they mention something they have used 'pool noodles' for, I thought it would be fun to add a thread that might pop up for someone looking for solutions to problems in a search.

Please add examples of how you have used pool noodles for props, scenery, costumes, and anything else and any tips you have for working with this material.

I'll start it off:
- ears of corn -  for Wizard of Oz (takes some time sculpting with the band saw, but looks good when you add paper mache leaves, and you can put 'stems' on the ears to help placement on the stalk
- architectural moldings - fluted pool noodles, when split and flattened, look like fluted columns.  Most handy when trying to fancy up an outside corner with the added benefit of padding it for actors exiting in the dark. one or two 'flutes' work for inside corner dressing. 
-doughnuts - cut discs, then sculpt the outer edges to round, encapsulate in muslin with dutching glue, let dry, paint. 
-padding corners backstage - where a platform leg is hanging out in an inconvenient location

-------------
www.actorsguildonline.org
Actors Guild of Parkersburg
Parkersburg, WV

Replies:
Posted By: JoeMc
Date Posted: 5/20/10 at 11:34pm
It took a while but I eventualy realised what a pool noodle is [I'm rather thick at times!]Confused
Pipe insulation for Air Con ducting also works well, normally fairly cheap, especialy if snaffled from Skip diving on Industrial sites.

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
"Hear the light & see the sound!
TOI TOI CHOOKAS
{may you always play to a full house!}

Posted By: MartyW
Date Posted: 5/21/10 at 8:54am
YES! Someone finally said something that confused the Gaafa.... God knows us pour ignorant Americans have scratched our "noodles" trying to figure out some of that great Aussie lingo...  But hey, look at how much I've learned over the years....

p.s. I like to use the pipe insulation too. Great for bending an edge onto a luan arch etc..

-------------
Marty W

"Till next we trod the boards.."

Posted By: vickifrank
Date Posted: 5/21/10 at 9:08am
How about space alien costumes as rings around the arms and legs

And pretty much as any part of Seussical sets.

-------------

http://www.studio-productions-inc.com
1-800-359-2964

The theater scrim people

Posted By: JoeMc
Date Posted: 5/21/10 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by MartyW

YES! Someone finally said something that confused the Gaafa.... God knows us pour ignorant Americans have scratched our "noodles" trying to figure out some of that great Aussie lingo...  But hey, look at how much I've learned over the years....

OuchAngryWinkThumbs%20Up

Embarrassed

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
"Hear the light & see the sound!
TOI TOI CHOOKAS
{may you always play to a full house!}

Posted By: pdavis69
Date Posted: 5/25/10 at 6:32pm
I use pipe insulation over a thin metal strip to create a tail for the Cat in Honk.  We just sewed a fabric sleeve to go over it.  It has resurfaced many times since then, once as the Cat again and several times at the tail for the Lion in Oz. 

-------------
Patrick L. Davis
Fort Findlay Playhouse

Posted By: DFTDONNA
Date Posted: 2/11/11 at 1:40pm
We used them to decorate the Willy Wonka  gobstopper machines and Wonkavator.   Bright colors really popped!

Posted By: Carol
Date Posted: 2/12/11 at 5:07am
Carved phone handsets out of them to use in the telephone number for "Bye Bye Birdie"   Bright colours really worked well!

Posted By: dexter74656
Date Posted: 2/14/11 at 7:30pm
They were GREAT as crown molding in an orante hotel set... split in half, primed & spray painted gold and fashioned on a wall; no one could tell the difference!

Posted By: Linda S
Date Posted: 3/02/11 at 10:26pm
For Enchanted April we had a working fountain that looked like it was built into a stone wall. (It was really a recirculating pump and big plastic tub.) We surrounded the whole thing with flexible luan, split a pool noodle down one side and slid it over the top edge. A little faux paint magic and it looked like a stone fountain.

Posted By: gelcat
Date Posted: 3/03/11 at 4:20pm

doing Robin Hood right now - carpet tubes are my friend!  upright trees, horizontal log, and curved edges for my castle interior -

-------------
www.actorsguildonline.org
Actors Guild of Parkersburg
Parkersburg, WV

Posted By: Kim L.
Date Posted: 4/18/11 at 4:15pm
I used pipe insulation (similar to noodles but more flexible) to make lollipops for Willy Wonka. It was a little bit of a bear but I rolled them into a lollipop configuration and got them to stay with gorilla glue and toothpicks. We then painted them bright swirly colors and put them on dowels. It took a good primer to get the colors to stick. They turned out darling and were huge.

-------------
Kim

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info