Print Page | Close Window

Leaves/Foliage for Trees

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Producing Theater
Forum Name: Set Design and Construction
Forum Discription: Post your questions or suggestions about designing or building a set here.
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4291
Printed Date: 5/05/24 at 2:41pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Leaves/Foliage for Trees
Posted By: kvanwagner
Subject: Leaves/Foliage for Trees
Date Posted: 10/10/09 at 12:24pm
Okay- Working on A Midsummer Night's Dream.  Going to use cardboard concrete tubes for the trunks and then plywood pieces for the roots.  They will be sitting on rolling platforms.  Issue now is the foliage.  I can't figure out how to make lush looking trees with leaves.  It is "midsummer" so they need to be green. 

Please help with any ideas ;)

Replies:
Posted By: Spectrum
Date Posted: 10/10/09 at 3:27pm
Our tree didn't have to move on stage.  We created the tree trunk with 2 X 4s and chicken wire/papier mache, and then used real branches, stripped of all their foliage.  Attached to the tree (via holes drilled into the branches) were TONS of silk (or plastic) leaves, often available at hobby craft stores and garden centers.  They are probably much cheaper if purchased online.  The resultant tree looked very much alive and lush.  The trick was positioning the lighting among all that foliage so it wouldn't be a fire hazard.  It can be done, though.  Good luck.

-------------
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 10/10/09 at 8:29pm
You could use the Teaser & tormentors , along with Borders & Legs as woodland portals.
The Borders can be scrim dressed with folage & the Legs as profiled tree trunk flats. These Legs could be used for some of the warm props to apear from on ladders set off stage.
You can add to the mise en scene lighting with Gobo's [fergies], which are easy enough to make or purchase.

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: kries13
Date Posted: 10/12/09 at 4:22pm
I've seen great effect done with cargo netting and lighting including gobos and gelled appropriately.

-------------
kries
I art therefore I am.
www.artisrelative.com

Date Posted: 10/12/09 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by kries13

I've seen great effect done with cargo netting and lighting including gobos and gelled appropriately.
Good sugestion!
I have seen this done with a stark open white set, which worked well.
I'm sure when Aade Willy did it, there was little if any sets used beyond costumes, props & a few furnitire pieces.
Thus allowing the punters to imagine the dream of  a woodland dell &/or  whatever.Wink

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: Nanette
Date Posted: 10/12/09 at 9:40pm

I, too, have seen the cargo net used (ITW).  It looked great!

-------------
In a world of margarine, be butter!

Posted By: kvanwagner
Date Posted: 10/13/09 at 6:08am
Thanks guys...We are a brand new school with a small budget and no reserves.  So we are building everything from scratch.  We don't have any gobos yet but would the cargo netting work without them?  Where would I find green cargo netting?

Thanks a bunch!

Posted By: Nanette
Date Posted: 10/14/09 at 2:05pm
You can find the cargo netting at Army/Navy Surplus stores.  I found mine at a giant outdoor swap shop.

-------------
In a world of margarine, be butter!

Date Posted: 10/17/09 at 7:29pm
Go for a sisal [hemp] cargo net rather than a synthetic one, because plastic ones will melt near hot lamps. It is easy enough to dye the sisal rope.
Also you can make your own gobo's from tin plate, just piece the tin with small iregular holes to simulate leaves, as a break up gobo.

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: stageright57
Date Posted: 2/09/10 at 1:47pm

We also built our trees with round concrete forms 10 feet tall. We purchased large outdoor patio umbrellas and decorated them with foliage to match the backdrop we wer using. The pole from the umbrella slides down into the concrete fom. The tree became some what top heavy so make sure your base will support it.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info