Forum Discription: General questions about how to make it work
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3610
Printed Date: 5/13/24 at 5:30am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Etiquette!!!
Posted By: imamember
Subject: Etiquette!!!
Date Posted: 11/20/08 at 2:25pm
So it seems that we've dropped the ball somewhere along the way. Indeed it seems that fewer and fewer people understand how you're supposed to act during auditions and rehearsals and backstage and I could go on and on. It also seems that the few people left that understand how it's supposed to work aren't bothering to correct others anymore.

I want to change that with our group. We've got a brand new website (courtesy of me) and I want to add a section that has "newbie" guides and hope that the veterans will stumble onto them as well.

Here are subjects I'd like to tackle:

How to audition
How to behave at an audition
How to behave during rehearsal
Hell week, and the art of being helpful
Backstage and when you shouldn't be there

Does anyone have anything like this currently? I'd rather take existing lists and articles and tweak it to suit our group than to have to crank out something from the group up. Plus I'm a terrible writer.

Replies:
Posted By: MartyW
Date Posted: 11/20/08 at 2:40pm
We dont have a web page/booklet on these things (though this site use to have some good informational guides, and probably still do, but I haven't been there recently) However, what we do have is a continueing education program where one of our more seasoned people put on a workshop once a month on a saturday.  They could include technicals like lights, sound, set, painting, costuems, makeup. But they also include directing, auditioning, improv, acting, tap... 

Kind of funny story. We had one on auditioning a couple of months ago. It was advertised and fairly well attended by new and old faces alike.  The facilitaor is one of our most respected directors and sevreal other directors present were invited to chime in as it went.  We talked about all the things that one should and should not do at auditions.  We explained how people were auditioning even when they were not on stage. How courtious they were while others were reading, if they started texting or worse yet talking on cell phones while others were working.. Those are only a few examples, but the list was quite extensive.  Some of our members must have been paying attention, while others should have made the time to come to the workshop.  One person who auditioned for my show the next week (not a workshop attendee) was sure the part was thiers for the taking.  It wasn't.  The folks who attended all came to me after the cast list was out and listed all the things the auditioner had done wrong. And it was almost ALL the things on the list...

Ah well.. I Agree with you on the need for refresher/training on the less technical aspects of being a good theater citizen.. Good luck

-------------
Marty W

"Till next we trod the boards.."

Posted By: KEB54
Date Posted: 11/20/08 at 5:41pm
I don't have an answer for you, but I'm interested in the responses you get.

The area I'm in is fortunate in that we have two unviversities close by with theatre programs.  Furthermore there are two more universities within 30 miles that also have programs.  I think that helps us tremendously. 

We haven't had a problem at the CT level.  However, my wife directs the HS plays for our small community (a bedroom community of the larger area).  She doesn't have problem per se`, but neither did the kids really know how to audition.  So, she just recently held an audition workshop, which was VERY well attended.

Her kids learned a lot and are very pumped up.  She was able to bring a couple of the college kids in from one of the Universities and they did their "professional" audition.  She also brought in her in her choreographer to educate them on what she will be looking for, etc. 

My wife, her choreographer and music director covered the whole gamut from cold readings to prepared monolouges, to vocal auditions, to proper dress, to how to wear your hair, to etiquette.  They also made it fun for the kids.

It was very good.

It is also good that they get that exposure at that age.  I know it will help when they audition for the CT.

-------------
KEB

Posted By: dexter74656
Date Posted: 11/23/08 at 12:28pm
I'd be interested in the results you get as well... 

Maybe it'd be worthwhile to make it a forum project... using all of our collective knowledge to create these lists & guidelines for use by everybody

Posted By: GracieGarland
Date Posted: 11/23/08 at 2:11pm
That would be of great interest to me as well--guidelines of Etiquette.

Thanks,
Gracie

Posted By: MartyW
Date Posted: 11/23/08 at 2:37pm

I'm sure that will be interesting for all

-------------
Marty W

"Till next we trod the boards.."

Posted By: Mike Polo
Date Posted: 11/24/08 at 10:30am

I will be happy to compile and edit such a work if y'all want to contribute articles or ideas.

-------------
Mike Polo
Community Theater Green Room
http://www.communitytheater.org
http://www.twitter.com/CTGreenRoom">

Posted By: imamember
Date Posted: 11/25/08 at 6:39am
Okay. I'm gonna start with just how to properly audition.

Find out if a monologue is required or not ahead of time. If it is...find one and MEMORIZE it!

Be on time. Remember, ten minutes early is on time, on time is late and 10 minutes late is unacceptable!

Wear something comfortable, but not crazy looking. Go for solid colors for a shirt. Nothing distracting.

Be patient until your name is called. Remember you're still being looked at while you're waiting. If you're acting unprofessional just waiting for your turn, that's not going to bode well for you.

(Musical) When your name is called walk to the rehearsal pianist, hand them your music and give them any notes, walk back to the center and state your name, name of the song and where it's from. If you were taught a proper way to stand in vocal lessons, be sure to do it. Remember it's a vocal audition, not an acting or dance audition. Stand in such a way that your voice is the best it can be. Any unnecessary dancing or movement could throw you off. There will be time to do a monologue, read from sides or dance later in the audition. When you are done, thank them for their time and walk back to where you're supposed to be.

Bring a pencil!

(Cold reading) When given sides to read, ask them for a moment to glance over your lines so you can be slightly familiar with them. This way you've got time to come up with some business, get clarification on a word or phrase and will end up looking just that much better.

OK, that's a start. Everyone else add in what I'm sure I missed this morning.

Date Posted: 11/25/08 at 11:54am
Hair pulled back off the face.

Minimal or no jewelry, especially no nose studs (and don't even consider tongue studs). Women, one pair of very simple, unobtrusive ear rings.  Men, nothing.

Usually, no low cut neck lines.

Make sure you cell phone is off the entire time you are there!  No texting while you're waiting.

Keep your head in the game.  You're there to audition.  Nothing else.

No food.  No gum.  You can have a bottle of WATER but be selective when you take a sip.

Do nothing to draw attention yourself when you're not on stage.

Listen.  Don't talk.

-------------
KEB

Posted By: mark_j
Date Posted: 11/25/08 at 2:53pm
Note To Parents:  Do NOT give your children an energy drink then drop them off at the theater. 

No flip-flops.

No food that will stain your costumes.

Don't be afraid to experiment with your character but listen when the director tells you to tone it down.

No tirades on stage.  (I was working sound during tech week one time when a stressed out actor blew up accusing my late sound cue of ruining his whole performance.  He was standing under a live microphone and everyone in the building got to hear what a bad person I was.) 

If the SM tells you to work a set shift, don't hide in the green room and hope nobody notices. 

No PDAs, conversely just because you're married to someone doesn't mean you can belittle them in front of everybody.

No whining!

Those are a few pet peeves from recent shows,
Thanks, I feel better to get them off my chest.

mj

Posted By: chelserin
Date Posted: 11/25/08 at 7:41pm
When the props are set, do not touch unless it is your prop and you are taking it onstage. When you are done with a prop put it back in it's place.
Always check your own props are set. Don't just "trust" that they'll be there. (I've got a thing about props. When in "Fantastiks" I was the mute, one night I was running late and my friend set my props for me. During the show I looked in and didn't see one I would need in the next scene. Internal freak out, had to figure out a way to get off stage to get it. Turns out it was in the trunk, but not were I usually put it. Moral: I was never late again and always made sure to check my own props. Now I'm known at our theatre as the prop nazi. "No prop for you!")

When auditioning, if the director asks you to try something different with a reading, do it. They are not only looking at your acting, but if you can take direction.

Posted By: Linda S
Date Posted: 11/26/08 at 12:59pm
I've always wanted to put up a big sign that reads,"Your audition starts the minute you walk through  the door." I just didn't cast someone who gave a brilliant audition because she was condesending and rude to everyone but me. I wonder if she thought I couldn't see or hear her talking to other people, or that they wouldn't say something?
Linda

Posted By: pdavis69
Date Posted: 11/26/08 at 1:38pm
One suggestion that I always tell people who are not well known in the group for which you are auditioning is to wear the same outfit if there are more than one audition date.  This helps the casting group (who may not know you) remember who you are from night to night.  Of course if you really stank the first night, maybe you should change.

-------------
Patrick L. Davis
Fort Findlay Playhouse

Posted By: GElliott
Date Posted: 11/28/08 at 5:58pm

One major one for me is actor’s nervousness and bad attitudes.  Sometimes actors come into auditions with a chip on their shoulder.  I think they feel like they are being negatively criticized.  I never believed it from theatre veterans when they would tell me this, but the directors and producers DO want you to do well.  They are sitting there cheering you on, hoping for your best.  Once I got on the other side of that table it would kill me to see actors come in with a self defeatist attitude.  On the other hand, when actors come in with a smile, have confidence, and genuinely have a good time, those are the guys you want to cast and work with.  Remember, you’re not only auditioning for the part in the show, you are asking to be hired to work with the company.  If you come off as being moody or having an attitude, you are probably not going to get the part. 

Posted By: 23cal
Date Posted: 1/04/09 at 9:17am
One of the things considered good etiquette at our theatre is that EVERYBODY participates in set srike and theater clean-up after a show.  Very bad form to put yourself above doing your fair share;  clean-up is just part of the package.

Posted By: Nikki Adams
Date Posted: 1/09/09 at 8:16pm
As for how to behave at rehearsals ... Here's something I've used over and over and over again, every show I direct has this as the cornerstone of the first rehearsal. Actors in my area know my by reputation, which is pretty good, so I have that going for me as far as their listening as I read this. The vibe in the room sometimes goes a little quiet (and gets quieter when I assign their required reading, etc!), but I can tell you that there has only been one time in a dozen shows, since using this document, that I had any issues that it addresses. I had one actor under-directing me in one production, and I did exactly what I promised I would do, and the under-direction stopped dead with no attitude repercussions from the actor in question. It works! If anyone wants a soft copy of this, drop me an email and I'll send it right to you! president@bcfootlighters.com

(If anybody comes up with something I missed, drop me a line, so I can add it!)

< ="Content-" content="text/; charset=utf-8">< name="ProgId" content="Word.">< name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 12"><>

... “GREAT EXPECTATIONS”...

TO THE CAST: An ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure, so here's an outline of what we'll expect from you and what you can expect from us.

Come to every rehearsal you are scheduled for prepared to work - physically, mentally and emotionally. Bring your script and bring a pencil. Write down all of your blocking and the notes we give you after rehearsals.

Be prompt. We will start without you if you are late. If you know you will be late or must unavoidably miss a rehearsal, contact me. If you are consistently late or absent we may not be able to continue to work together.

When we’ve stopped a rehearsal to fix a line or a piece of business or blocking, begin again by repeating the cue line or lines just before the one(s) corrected so the change can be rehearsed.

When you are given blocking it is meant to feel and look natural. Feel free to counter cross and dress the stage without being told!

Stay in character throughout rehearsals. If you forget a line, remain in character and call "line". Lines will not be prompted unless you call for it.

If you are given a direction that you do not understand, stop us and ASK. It's imperative that you are comfortable and feel an ownership of your blocking and business.

Rehearsals are a safe place for you to try ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. We don't expect a finished product until the end of the last performance, so make and try lots of choices in the rehearsal process, and when we open, don't "can it" ... keep it fresh. Each audience sees the show for the first time - you have to play it each time as though you've never played it before.

NEVER give direction to another actor. If you feel a scene can be improved we are always happy to listen to your suggestions after rehearsal or on a break. Similarly, if we give you movement or change a direction, please don't debate it on the spot. If you have a question that we can address quickly, ask it immediately. If you have an in-depth question, or you disagree, please wait until after rehearsal, on a break, or before the next rehearsal.

We want your input, and your ideas. They are important to the production. We will spend time at several rehearsals discussing the show and characterization. If you feel we aren't doing enough of that, we want to know!

Learn your lines precisely and give cues consistently. Do NOT paraphrase, make contractions where there are none; DO pay attention to periods, commas, exclamations and ... . The author has given us great words ... let's use his! (You'll find that I'm rather obsessive about this, so we'll save time if you comply early on!)

If you are currently working on other shows, please DO NOT work on them during any rehearsal or performance of this show. Your complete focus is expected for each rehearsal and each performance!

Please don’t invite any friends or family to watch rehearsals unless you've cleared it with the director, and of course, don’t EVER have ANY friends or family backstage before or during a performance.

Protect your health, particularly if you are overtired. DO NOT come to rehearsal if you are running a fever above 100 degrees. (But call so we know you're not coming!) Of course, we'll expect you at performances even if you're dying!

Always acknowledge fellow actors and production staff when you feel they've gone out of their way for you. Remember that you're not the only one who needs positive reinforcement.

SAY THANK YOU loudly and often to your crew. Without them you'd be naked, propless and in the dark on a flat, bare, soundless stage!

Don't EVER gossip or spread rumors about other cast members, the production staff or anyone else involved in this show. Join us in being dedicated to creating an ensemble. Good productions demand team work: consider everyone as part of our team.

Follow the rules of the Box Office when purchasing/reserving tickets for friends and family. Don't ask for special treatment because you’re in the cast!

FROM YOUR PRODUCTION STAFF YOU CAN EXPECT:

Respect for your time within the constraints of the rehearsal schedule.

Respect for your talent.

We will be prepared and on time for rehearsals.

Your Team will be available to you for whatever you may need, during rehearsals and any other time you may need us. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, or for feedback, about anything. Feel free to email us or call us at anytime.

If you feel you need extra one-on-one time to run lines, for character development, to work on difficult monologues, please let us know. We’ll do whatever we can to reasonably accommodate you.

You can expect your props, costumes, and tech will work with you and for you, not against you. Don't be shy about telling us if something is NOT working. This extends to characterization and blocking.

We will work best when we work together to create excellence in theatre.

You can count as much on our dedication as we are counting on yours!

Posted By: Nyria
Date Posted: 1/13/09 at 1:36am
Do not eat the props - especially if they have been covered in glaze. ;) 

And to repeat the last post - DO NOT GIVE NOTES TO OTHER ACTORS!!!!!

-------------
NYRIA

Posted By: Nikki Adams
Date Posted: 1/14/09 at 2:15pm
Of all of the things that make me happily nuts when I direct it's under-directing by other actors. Does not make me happily nuts. Makes me downright angry. The reason that made it into my Great Expectations is that I found out after a play closed that there was an actor in the cast that was giving notes to other actors IN BLACKOUTS AND IN BETWEEN SCENES!!! Because I'd never talked about under-directing, none of the other actors knew what to do, so they just took it and tried to ignore it.

During one of the last plays I directed, when I did use GE, I had an actor come to me in private to tell me there was an actor giving them character notes after rehearsals. I went to the under-directing actor and told her in no uncertain terms that, as warned in our first rehearsal, I would not tolerate it, period. I allow plenty of rehearsal time for character work and group talk, and always encourage suggestions from every actor about anything in the play, and told this actor that if they had something to say they felt would improve the work, I wanted to hear it - but only in group discussions or in private to me directly.

The under-directing stopped, the actor in question treated me with much more respect, and all of the other actors in the play immediately relaxed. It was a real lesson for me - and I'll never direct another play without talking about this specific issue in the first rehearsal.

Actors - ugh! (Just kidding, I'm an actor too!)

Originally posted by Nyria

Do not eat the props - especially if they have been covered in glaze. ;) 

And to repeat the last post - DO NOT GIVE NOTES TO OTHER ACTORS!!!!!

Posted By: SpenceKenzer
Date Posted: 2/12/09 at 2:07pm
Have a 1-page resume or CV that you can leave with the director and/or stage manager, that briefly outlines your recent and/or notable theatrical experiences and training, if any.
(If you don't know what should go on one, find someone who has good one and mimic theirs.)

If you can afford it, have a black-and-white 8x10 inch head shot photo that you can leave with the director and/or stage manager.

In fact, have your head shot printed on the back of your CV!  One sheet only -- saves trees!

I know that some CT's don't require these things from auditioners.  That's fine.  However, the director and/or stage manager is more likely to remember you if you create a bit of an "I'm eagerly serious about this" impression by providing a CV and head shot.

If your audition is set to start at a fixed time, BE THERE 15 MINUTES EARLY.  Late-comers leave a very bad first impression!
A wise SM once told me:  If you're 15 minutes early, you're on time.  If you're on time, you're LATE!

If you know the part for which you're auditioning, dress for the part as much as you can.

At the most basic level, I think that what a director wants most is to hear your voice (volume, timbre), and see your face, to find a combination of voices and faces that fit the director's concept of the cast.  If you can demonstrate acting skill or performance varitety, so much the better.

As a CT director, given amateur actors, I always remind myself:
ALWAYS presume that what I get from an auditioner at the audition MAY BE all I'm going to get during the performance
SO if I cast someone I'd better be minimally satisfied that his/her audition could be a passable final product.

-------------
--------------------<*>
Saludos, my dahlinks, and you know who you are ... !

Posted By: whitebat
Date Posted: 2/23/09 at 9:54pm
Don't audition at all if you have serious doubts that you'll be available for the show (working 2 jobs, basketball or softball is more important...). 

If you have to drop out of the show for some reason after you've been cast or after rehearsals start, let the director know ASAP.  CT's usually don't have understudies.

Posted By: chelserin
Date Posted: 3/02/09 at 9:32pm
Whether you are new to theatre or a vetran, always remember that every theatre company is different and when you agree to do a show you need to be willing to do things the way that theatre operates. Some theatres have a huge production crew that take care of every aspect of the production. Others count on their actors to pitch in where needed.

-------------
To be in the world, and of the world, and never to stand aside and watch.

Posted By: ooliemartha
Date Posted: 3/13/09 at 10:07am
Audition Etiquette:
  • Be Early
  • Be polite to everyone from the second you step out of your car.
  • DRESS UP.  If the people auditioning you are over 40, they do not understand the concept of dressed-up jeans, so don't even try it.  Women-dresses or skirts.  Men-dark dress slacks or VERY nice khakis.
  • For a musical, have your score taped back to back in a binder.  Don't hand an accompanist a book.  Do not choose a piece you have to explain cuts and endings.  Politely and quietly sing maybe  a line or so to the accompanist before you start to set a tempo (never snap or tap a beat.)
  • Introduce yourself and smile.  SPEAK CLEARLY.
  • READ the show before you arrive, if possible.
  • BE KIND to other auditioners.  DO not comment after they sing, and PROTECT yourself.  If the girl next to you in a call back line is whining that her ex-boyfriend just walked in.  Ignore her.  That is not rude.  It is respecting the process.
  • Say Thank you to everyone.  Be friendly to your potential future cast mates.
  • Do not throw the score on the floor if you know the lyrics.  The directors will know you do.  If everyone is holding the score, you do too.  Just don't look down at it.
  • Do not remove your clothing while trying to be "sexy".  Yes, I saw it happen.
  • Never ever ever give advice to anyone at the audition, solicited or otherwise.  If you're wrong, you might lose a friend, if you're right, you might lose th role to her.

-------------

Posted By: peacock
Date Posted: 3/20/09 at 5:24am
Thank you for this list. I plan to use it with my high school drama class next week. I had a young lady in our production this year who turned into a prima dona once we were in dress rehearsal. She terrorized our costume and props people, and nearly made the stage manager quit. I really want to work early with my students to train them to be gracious to all.

Posted By: judithpniland
Date Posted: 3/25/09 at 11:03am
Hi there
I have ben part of this non profit community theater group for over 24 years. Our main show is a summer melodrama where about 1/2 the participants are teens. Over the years i seen many changes in the society reflected in the behavior of our youth and adults. As a result one of our orginal founders and an ex-proffessor of theater created what we call the "Code of Conduct". It has alot of basic ideas and things and each year can be modified to chnaging circumstances. But it gives us a chance to go over the expectations of behavior before the rehearsal process begins. There by giving us something to refer back to that is concrete when trying to correct behavior problems. We tried to make it simple and not too insulting to those participating who naturally know how to behave. but I have found it to be a great teaching tool for many.

Posted By: SpenceKenzer
Date Posted: 3/26/09 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by judithpniland

[snip]
As a result one of our orginal founders and an ex-professor of theater created what we call the "Code of Conduct". It has alot of basic ideas and things and each year can be modified to changing circumstances. But it gives us a chance to go over the expectations of behavior before the rehearsal process begins. There by giving us something to refer back to that is concrete when trying to correct behavior problems. We tried to make it simple and not too insulting to those participating who naturally know how to behave. but I have found it to be a great teaching tool for many.

Would you be willing to share your CT's "Code of Conduct" with us here?  It sounds great.

-------------
--------------------<*>
Saludos, my dahlinks, and you know who you are ... !

Posted By: judithpniland
Date Posted: 3/26/09 at 7:54pm
Here ya go as requested
And please remember we have teens and alot of brand new thespians in our crew every season!
Astor St. Opry Company’s
CODE OF CONDUCT

1) Drug use and/or participation in any form are totally forbidden.

2) Alcohol use is totally forbidden before and during ASOC activities. Adherence to current laws will be enforced all other time.

3) Arrive for all activities 5 minutes early.

4) Contact the appropriate person listed in the rehearsal schedule if you will be late.

5) Schedule eating time at least 1 hr before rehearsal or performance. Food at rehearsal & performance will be seriously frowned upon. Avoid: all dairy products, fried or otherwise greasy foods, anything with sugars -- including soft drinks. Water with lemon & veggies & fruits are best.

6) Help each other in any way possible to be creative, efficient and happy.

7) Encourage each other with honesty and friendliness.

8) Control the corral odor down! Good hygiene and deodorants keep you popular.   

9) Handle your own props only!

10) Care for your costumes as you would nice clothes: THEY ARE YOUR COVER IN FRONT OF THE AUDIENCE!   And be respectful to your costumer!

11) Questions about times, places, activities? ASK THE PERSON IN CHARGE!

12) WARM-UPS: warm-ups are crucially important to your effective performance Focus your attention & energy during the time you will be pre-pared to perform.

13) Always wear footwear at the theater. Hazards to skin are plentiful.

14) Cancel all impulses to scream enthusiasms. Regular voices are loud enough.

15) No cell phone , ipods or video games are to be used during rehearsals or backstage during shows. we need your focus on what is happening right in front of you!

16) Notes & critiques are intended to give you information for your use in making your performance as well as we can. PAY ATTENTION. USE NOTES FOR OTHERS TO YOUR OWN BENEFIT. Ask for clarification if any notes are unclear to you.

17) THE STAGE MANAGER IS YOUR LINK TO SANITY & SMOOTHNESS DURING PERFORMANCE.COOPERATE WITH HER/HIM REQUESTS AND/OR DIRECTIONS & YOU'LL HAVE A HAPPY SHOW~ AND A GOOD ONE!   

Posted By: John Luzaich
Date Posted: 4/30/09 at 10:46am
WOW.... There is some great stuff here.  I just took time to read through every single post.  Mike Polo: You said you would be willing to crunch all of this together?  It looks like there are 2 - basic areas here.  Most all of the comments are either talking about (1) auditions, or (2) rehearsals.  The original poster asked about auditions but I think these are both value added things to have.  A basic list of "rules for auditions" that could be passed out when people check out scripts, at the audition times, and maybe posted on web sites.  And, a basic list of "rules for rehearsals" that can be passed out at first read through/rehearsal.  I know some directors have info like this to pass out to people and other directors verbally do it.  We could probably take a list and add/change it to your specific needs or circumstances.  But this would really be great to have these two things.  Thanks Mike!

-------------
John
cfct@cfu.net
http://www.osterregent.org
http://www.facebook.com/osterregent

Posted By: Madwoman
Date Posted: 5/10/09 at 3:28pm
This is a great idea.
I have an "Anal Sheet" that I distribute at the beginning of hell week. I'm pasting it here unedited, so you'll see some theater-specific stuff as well as general issues. I originally prepared it because I always have some newbies, and getting the rules clear with everybody ahead of time is a lot easier and more pleasant than scolding individuals after the fact!

The Tempest: Some Notes from your Director's Anal Dimension

• Please, for dress rehearsals and of course performances, ARRIVE BY THE CALL TIME!!! This is essential if the whole cast is to be costumed, made up, and ready by curtain. To get through the rehearsals and not drive home at sunrise, starting promptly is necessary. It is also essential for the Stage Manager's peace of mind for performances. If you are not in the theatre at call time (door will be open for you at least half an hour before that), the Stage Manager will call you looking for you. The Director, a neurotic, arrives at the theatre on performance nights well before call—usually around 6:00—so if you come early you can get in.

• When you arrive, remember to flip your tag from white to colored side. Flip your own tag ONLY.

• On performance nights the cast and crew are expected to park in the upper lot. As you see, the space is limited. Car-pooling is encouraged!

• Each cast member, please be responsible for your own costume and personal props from the point at which you receive them until Strike day. This means making sure your costume (etc.) is safely and carefully stored in the dressing room where you can find it, keeping it presentable, and checking that all pieces are accounted for. If you want to take something home to clean, press, or mend,, please do so at the END of the weekend, and bring it back at the BRUSH-UP rehearsal: Let's not run the risk of leaving it home on a performance night (which has been done). DO NOT wash a costume without checking with the Costumes mistress (or Director)!!! Some pieces CANNOT be washed. If your costume or prop is damaged, please mark the spot with a red stick-on dot and put it in the designated area.

• Make sure you have come to an understanding with the Stage Manager about the placement of your props. You are responsible for double-checking them before performances and for returning them to their place after use. No props or set pieces are to be moved except 1) as scheduled in the performance or 2) at the Stage Manager's request.

• Space in the dressing room is limited. Please be considerate with access to the make-up mirrors. (A second dressing area will be available downstairs but should be used only by those who have quick changes to make.) Please also remember to be QUIET in dressing areas and backstage—on performance nights, from 7:30 on. (Walk softly, too—backstage, in the dressing room, and ON THE STAIRS.)

• During performances, please, NO CONVERSATIONS BACKSTAGE. As You Like It veterans know particularly why! If someone asks you to be quiet at any time, do so without question. If there is an emergency, alert the Stage Manager and she will deal with it.

• VERY IMPORTANT: In this production, Ariel has entrances through the dressing room onto the catwalk. When Elise comes upstairs for an entrance, please expect the lights will be turned off; they must stay off while she is on the catwalk and you must be silent! Be sure she has re-closed the catwalk door before you resume normal activities.

• Although the Stage Manager will keep an eye on things, you are ultimately responsible for being on time for your entrances. There is a sound monitor in the dressing room; the mirror lights must be ON for the monitor switch to work. If you choose to spend between-scenes time in the parking lot or lobby instead of the dressing room, be sure to keep tabs on the action. Time your visits to the bathroom wisely.

• Please, no smoking anywhere in the building. And help keep the backstage area clean: don't leave cups, food wrappers, tissues, etc., sitting around; put them in the trash or appropriate recycling bin. PLEASE DO NOT BRING FOOD OR BEVERAGES INTO THE DRESSING ROOM!! (exception: water.) Please do not eat or drink ANYWHERE in costume.

• If you find a place backstage or onstage that needs to be marked with glow-tape, please tell the Stage Manager.

• Note the frequency of the term "Stage Manager." Before and during performances, the Stage Manager (or her Assistants) will be IN CHARGE. Any request or directive from said Stage Manager is to be complied with immediately, without discussion.

• Ticket reservations should be made by telephone (270-9144) or entered in the Reservations book, in the front (undated) section. Town Players policy does not provide for complimentary cast tickets.

• The Director prefers that cast NOT appear in the lobby in costume! Your true fans will wait . . . .

• Brush-up rehearsals will be in costume but not make-up; they will be run-throughs and may involve fine-tuning or revisions.

• Please be sure that the white side of your tag lists your cell phone number, or the number where you can be reached before a performance. Also make note of the stage manager’s and director’s cell phone number.s, in case of emergency. Director: 203-382-3769.

Show Calls: Evening Performances 7:00 (start at 8:00); Matinée 1:00 (start at 2:00). Brush-up rehearsals 7:00 (start at 7:30).

Posted By: colugino
Date Posted: 7/21/09 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by 23cal

One of the things considered good etiquette at our theatre is that EVERYBODY participates in set srike and theater clean-up after a show.  Very bad form to put yourself above doing your fair share;  clean-up is just part of the package.

Thanks for covering this one! This is one of the big annoyances. My theatre group did a show a few months ago and only one cast member came back to help strike. We had a cast of thirty people + 4 directing staff. It ended up being the 4 staff and one cast member. Took us 3 weeks to take down the entire set and we still have to pack everything away.

Posted By: colugino
Date Posted: 7/21/09 at 1:07pm

Great list! I found some great items that were missing in our theatre code of conduct.

One item I did not say was:

Nothing is to be placed on any prop or set piece unless the stage manager has given you explicit ok to do so. No director, stage hand, or otherwise may give you said permission. Remember - stage crew only has several seconds to change a scene! If they don't see you placed your costume or food or whatever it may be, it may become part of the show, and not in a good way! In addition, the stage manager shall communicate to all stage crew that could be handling a prop or set piece that someone was provided permission to place an object there.

This was written at a theatre company I worked for several years ago. We did Beauty & The Beast, had this huge trolley with the doors to the castle, steps, columns, etc. A bunch of cast members threw costumes on it, left a bunch of bottles of water and such on it. Prior to the show, the entire stage was walked, everything checked. The crew was rushing to get the piece on stage and didn't notice until the director started screaming over the headsets. Usually all set pieces were checked before hitting the stage for a scene but due to another issue we didn't have time.

Posted By: CBStar
Date Posted: 9/05/09 at 2:32pm
  I notice that apparently when the topic of etiquette was opened up everyone assumed it referred to the behavior of actors. This is echoed a bit with the humorous putdown of actors et al in the Directing forum area. The subject of bad directors has been on my mind a great deal lately (what constitutes one, what if anything can be done during production and by whom – for another topic). I thought I might offer a couple etiquette items for directors.
For rehearsals:
  Be on time and prepared. Show up at least a half-hour early and be prepared to start rehearsal on time. Have any technical discussions taken care of away from rehearsal time.

Don’t embarrass an actor in front of the cast unless it is absolutely necessary. In most productions it will never be necessary.

Don’t blame the cast for your mistakes. If you catch yourself haranguing an entire cast, it might be time to ask yourself if there’s something you may have neglected to do.
For auditions:

Have parts of scenes pre-selected. Don’t make everyone wait while you huddle with the AD for several minutes.

Don’t allow applause after each reading. This wastes time and can allow actors to attempt to influence selection. I’ve seen this most often when college/high school actors appear at auditions in groups.

Don’t deliver a lot of (or any) direction during audition. This is Community Theater. We want new people all the time. We encourage beginners. We’re not here to scare or intimidate or show off how good we are at ordering actors.

One previous poster advised head shots and CVs for actors for auditions. If you accept these, and I’m not sure it’s advisable, don’t let them sway you too much. Remember Community Theater is in constant training mode. You need as big a pool of experienced actors as possible. You never know who or how many are going to show up for auditions. You may have to make phone calls to pull together a cast. Don’t just rely on the actors with the long resumes.

I could go on but my main point is that everyone, not just actors, need to behave themselves in order to have a smooth running successful production.

Date Posted: 9/05/09 at 8:07pm
Thanks for this post. 1) It's good advice! 2) It made me feel really virtuous, since I follow all your recommendations!

Date Posted: 9/08/09 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by CBStar

One previous poster advised head shots and CVs for actors for auditions. If you accept these, and I’m not sure it’s advisable, don’t let them sway you too much.

Great points all.  I just wanted to comment on the above.  I agree that it is probably not advisable.  However, many times you do want a photo to match up with the name and your notes, especially if you have a lot of people auditioning.  We have someone take digital photos of everyone holding a card with their name on it.  It looks like a police photo, but it works.  Smile 

-------------
KEB

Posted By: JohnnyOneNote
Date Posted: 9/12/09 at 3:47pm
My actors agreement that I pass out at every first read through and have the actors sign.

ACTORS AGREEMENT
To ensure a fun and successful production for everyone involved, I agree to abide by the following expectations.

· I will arrive on time for all rehearsals and performances, this means being ready to begin at the time indicated on the rehearsal schedule, not walking in the door at that time. If I will be late I will call the Director, AD, SM or PM at least half an hour ahead of time.
· I will provide the director with as complete a list of conflicts as possible no later than DATE HERE. Any additional unexpected conflicts may not be honored.
· I will come to all rehearsals with a PENCIL to write with.
· I will have lines/lyrics learned by off-book rehearsals.
· I understand that it is the actor’s job to act. It is the director’s job to direct. Therefore, I will not tell other actors how to act or what to do with their characters. If I have an idea for someone else’s character or my own,  I will bring it to the directors attention after rehearsals.
· I will return any rented materials (costumes, scores, etc.) in good condition.
· I will consult the director before making any drastic changes in my physical appearance. (i.e. hair color/length, piercing, tats etc.)
· I understand that all rehearsals except final dress are “closed”. Therefore, I will not invite guests to a rehearsal unless I have cleared it with the director in advance. This includes friends and family
· I will be here for all rehearsals during tech weeks (Starting DATE HERE), with no exceptions. I will make arrangements and cancel other plans NOW in order to be here during this important weeks of rehearsals.
· I understand the use of alcohol or drugs will not be tolerated during rehearsals or performances.
· I will turn off and refrain from using cellular phones during rehearsals, I will wait to check messages and place calls when the company is on break, so as not to be a distraction to the other performers who are rehearsing.
· I will conduct myself in an appropriately professional manner.
· I will treat all theater volunteers and staff with respect.
- I will attend at least one set construction day for 4 hours total and/or help with other areas such as props, costumes etc. for at least 4 hours.
·  I will participate in strike following the final performance.
·  I will have fun!
If I fail to meet these expectations, for the good of the other actors in the company, I should and will turn in my script and leave the production.

Posted By: JohnnyOneNote
Date Posted: 9/12/09 at 4:00pm
And my major handout.. GUIDELINES for a smooth Production (this one happens to be for Joseph and includes what we expect as far as costumes, what the theater can buy etc.
It also includes my major pet peeves. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAST OF “JOE” GUIDELINES
For A Smooth Production

NO ROLE IS GUARANTEED!
We are all volunteers, and our main goal is to create the best show we possibly can. Sometimes a role may have to be changed out. Please be aware that any role is not guaranteed! Even though none of us are paid, we are still responsible to the show and the theater. If you do not put in the work, the role may have to be given to someone else willing to do the job.
In the 80+ plays that I have directed I have only changed out a role three times. Each one was due to the actor believing they did not have to work for the role because they already “Had” it.
This is not the case. Roles are cast and/or recast at the absolute discretion of the director.

BE ON TIME!
1 minute late is late. 5 Minutes late is nearly inexcusable.
It is always best to be here 10 to 15 minutes early to make sure you are warmed up and ready to go.
If you are given a rehearsal time such as 7pm that means you are READY TO GO AT 7!!! Not.. Walk Through The Door At 7.
I will tell you now my biggest pet peeve is people that are consistently late. It is rude to the entire cast who all managed to get here on time. There will be times when the kids, traffic, work, school etc. will cause you to be late. This is OK - to a point, just don’t let it keep happening.
Now, if you WILL be late you MUST let the Director, AD, PM or SM know. We can make you run laps around the playhouse ya know. :-)

Wear appropriate attire.
NO heels, open toed shoes or flip flops EVER.
This includes Clogs, and those rubber Crock things. Even in music rehearsals, because we may do some quick blocking even during music rehearsals. Wear clothes that you do not mind getting dirty. You may be rolling around on the floor and the Black Box and Stage are DIRTY! Put shoes and extra clothes in the back of your car in case you run late.

Rehearsals are CLOSED
All rehearsals are Closed Rehearsals.
This means that friends and family may not sit in on rehearsals. There will be an area set aside in the theater for the benefit of those who need to wait on an actor.

Shoes for the show.
ACP does not buy shoes for costumes, they are your responsibility.
Look for non descript sandals. Prefer a light brown to dark brown color. They can NOT be flip flops or Clogs. They must have at LEAST a strap around the heel of your foot. Remember you will be Dancing in them and they can’t go flying off into the audience. Some women roles can wear character shoes. If you have a pair of cowboy boots please let the director know. We may be using them in the “One More Angel” scene (WOMEN AND MEN)
Women start looking for 60’s type shoes. There are some inexpensive Costume Go-Go boots online
Children’s Chorus – Get a pair of WHITE tennis shoes. Not black, gold, red, blue purple, pink. WHITE! They can have some slight splash of color such as a logo or something of that nature, but the shoes must be at least 95% white.

Costumes
We have costumers for a reason. They know the vision that the directors want.
Do not tell the costumer what you will or will not wear.
The director will always approve a costume, not an actor.
If you have a suggestion for the costumer give it with respect, and if they say NO, it means NO.
If your costume is causing problems, it is fine to go to the director and state the problem
“I don’t like the color” “This makes my butt look big” “This isn’t pretty” are not reasons.
“It binds me” “I can’t move correctly in this” “I am tripping on the skirt” “My zipper is broke and I gotta pee!” these are legitimate concerns.
Since this is a large show and of course our budget is not huge, there may be some simple inexpensive items we may ask you to provide. Such as White T-shirts, blue jeans and White pants for the Children’s Chorus and possibly some other items for the Adults.
If this will cause a financial hardship for your family, please come to ME and talk to me, something can always be worked out.

Props, Costumes Wigs etc.
Once we have props, costumes or wigs
DO NOT TOUCH THEM IF THEY ARE NOT YOURS!!!!
If they ARE yours, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure they are put away in the proper place. Costumes MUST be hung up, unless they are put aside to be cleaned.
If any costumes are found not hung up, they will be taken and you will pay a fine of $1 for each item in order to get them back. The money will go towards our cast party. NO EXCUSES!

Appearance:
DO NOT make any drastic changes in your physical appearance! (i.e. hair color/length, piercing, Tats etc.) with out first talking to the director.
Some of the men may have to grow facial hair. If you are not allowed to have a beard etc. because of your work, please let me know. Any men that can grow their hair out, please do so! The longer the better. The fewer wigs and beards we have to purchase the better.

Missing a rehearsal not on your conflict list.
If you MUST miss a rehearsal please let one of the staff know ASAP! We can not have everyone coming up with numerous additional conflicts. We know some unexpected life problems can happen, just don’t make a habit out of it. Adding multiple extra conflicts may result in your losing your role. This does not include being ill. (but, you better be ill!)
You MUST be here for all rehearsals during our tech weeks
Starting May 10th, with no exceptions. Make arrangements and cancel other plans NOW to be here during these important weeks of rehearsals. If you demand time off during this period, you may be replaced.

Do not direct other actors.
That is what the Directors are for. If you have a suggestion for someone please bring it to the Director. I LOVE suggestions! But please do not give your suggestion to anyone else but the director.

Whining
Don’t whine, complain, kvetch whatever you want to call it. This is FUN! And yes, sometimes it is tedious and boring, and can be hard work! But whining and complaining doesn’t help anyone. It brings moral down, and face it, no one likes a whiner. Once you enter the theater - concentrate on the task at hand.. Your outside problems of life should just disappear for a couple hours. Take a break!
Now, the Directors and Stage Managers CAN whine. It is just part of the job! :-)
I want to be very clear on something:
One thing I NEVER want to hear is “I could be doing such and such instead of just sitting around here”
You will probably see me go ballistic if I hear you say that. You are scheduled for a rehearsal on a certain day. You could not POSSIBLY have anything else you could be doing because you have a responsibility to THIS SHOW and you were scheduled to BE HERE not somewhere else or doing something else.
I really hope this is clear.

Rehearsal Notes:
When you get a note from the directors PM or SM, listen respectfully and quietly, write it on the correct page in your script, say "thank you", and your job is done. Don't try to explain, rationalize, apologize, argue, justify, or anything else. If you want to take it up later with the directors or SM, ask for a few minutes of their time after notes are over. They may say "sure, come early tomorrow and we'll talk about it then." Say thanks and be there. They want to go home too.
If a note contradicts a previous note, put a single line through the old one, and write the new one in. The directors/choreographers can change their minds, and more than likely will! Don’t argue or try to correct them.
Listen to all the notes. It may be for someone else, but it may affect you. Or you may learn something anyway.

Pencils NOT Pens
Always have a couple of sharpened pencils with erasers handy, not pens! DO NOT mark in your Vocal Books with a PEN! They cost $40 each if you deface them!

Cell phone off!
You can check messages at break or intermission.
NO TEXTING during rehearsals or performances. This includes if you are not in a scene.

LISTEN!
This is fun, we know that, and chit chat is always fun to catch up on life etc. but once rehearsal starts. LISTEN! I will repeat something twice. The third time I probably will not be too pleasant.
If it's not your turn on stage
Go sit quietly out of the way but nearby so that if you are called, you don't need to be called twice. Review your lines, meditate, whatever. Do not sit in the back (or anywhere) chatting with someone. It's not social hour, it is rehearsal. If you must leave the area let the SM know where to find you.
If it is your turn on stage,
Give all your attention to your scene partners while the scene is active, the directors, or SM while it is not. Even if he or she is talking to another actor, it might affect you. Pay attention. Give your absolute best to your fellow actors, the director, SM, stage crew, and most especially the person you may need to ask to help you with an emergency costume change or to help find a missing prop. Everyone is important, and all deserve your respect. If you want theirs, give yours first.

HYDRATE AND HEALTH!
Have WATER with you at all times! The more you hydrate the less likely you are to get sick. Also invest in Airborne or Zycam. IT WORKS! The last thing we need is a cast crud or cold! There are bottles of hand sanitizer in all dressing rooms. USE IT! Get a small bottle of you own if you want! It also helps prevent the spread of crud and colds which is the last thing a musical needs!

Take your trash with you
or throw it in the correct garbage can. I'm going to say it again. Take your trash with you or throw it in the correct garbage can. If it came in with you, it goes out with you or is thrown away. This goes for the bag of chips, fancy bottle of mineral water, or whatever. Clean up after yourself. Take your trash with you or throw it in the correct garbage can. I don't have to say it again, do I?

COMMUNICATION
Please be sure that the SM has all your contact information, address, email, phone, cell phone etc.
I rely heavily on Email! If you DO NOT have an email please let the PM and SM know ASAP you will be put on a calling list
IF YOU DO have an email, check it at least twice a day or at least 1 to 2 hours before rehearsal, and ALWAYS respond to the email to let us know that you received it!

EXPECTATIONS
You are of course as stated expected to be at all rehearsals you are scheduled for.
You are also expected to treat your fellow cast and crew with respect. It doesn’t matter if this is your 1000th show or first show, no one is any better than anyone else.
Please refer to my DIVA speech.

(if you want I can post my DIVA and A$$ speeches I give to all my cast) :)

Each crew and cast member is expected to put in at least 4 hours of help on the production. Be it set building which is where MOST HELP IS NEEDED, or helping with Costumes, Props etc. It is up to you but please, TRY to help as much as possible, this is community theater and we don’t have unions to supply us with Builders, Costumers etc. No, this doesn’t have to be done all at once. You can split it over a number of cast production call days.

STRIKE
All actors and crew are expected to attend Strike!

NAME ETIQUETTE
I get asked this question a lot, especially from Adults.
Here are the general rules since there are minors in this show there are different rules based on the old adage of “Respect Your Elders”
If you are over 18, you may call people by their first name
If you are under 18, you should use Ma’am, Miss or Mr. Or, if told it is OK the person’s first name.
Be respectful to everyone at all times.
Noisy, Loud, Obnoxious and Crass behavior will not be tolerated from any cast or crew member (Except the directors)

FOOD!
Food Glorious FOOD!!! Here at ACP It is essential that you eat. :)
During rehearsals you can bring TREATS if you wish. Something will always be available. Be smart and don’t eat right before you sing etc. But Food all makes us feel better!
ONLY WATER is allowed in the Main Theater. NO food is allowed in the Main Theater. Food and other beverages are allowed in the Black Box.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A lot of this is repeat from the Actors Agreement, but it does not hurt to make sure the picture is very clear. :) This was gleaned from other directors, sources and personal experience

Date Posted: 9/12/09 at 6:54pm
Yes please post DIVA and A$$ speeches--I'd love to see them.

Posted By: whitetiger362
Date Posted: 4/11/10 at 7:45pm
I have a question on an issue that's been bothering me these past couple days. I was just recently speaking to a former director of mine and she was complaining about a cast member she has in her show. Would it be considered "bad form" to offer my services as an actor, in case she's looking to drop this person from the show entirely?

Posted By: POB14
Date Posted: 4/12/10 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by CBStar

Don’t deliver a lot of (or any) direction during audition. This is Community Theater. We want new people all the time. We encourage beginners. We’re not here to scare or intimidate or show off how good we are at ordering actors.

This is the only part I disagree with.  I want to know how actors are going to respond to direction.

However, given your last sentence there, I'm guessing you have some directors who are very confused about what "giving direction" means!

-------------
POB
Old Bugger, Curmudgeon, and Antisocial B**tard

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info