Forum Discription: For everything else
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3491
Printed Date: 5/05/24 at 5:28am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Currently in Production
Posted By: tonyboling
Subject: Currently in Production
Date Posted: 9/28/08 at 1:23pm
So what shows are you currently in production of?

We missed our first show of the season by canceling it last Spring. We were set to do a fund raiser performance of Forbidden Broadway then an Audience Participation Murder Mystery (You Have the Right to Remain Dead), Fall Musical (Anne of Green Gables), Holes and then Big: The Musical.

Rights got pulled for Forbidden Broadway, then the board decided to drop the murder mystery and just start the season with Anne of Green Gables.

So this is what our season now looks like...

Anne of Green Gables (November)
Holes (March)

Those are the only 2 "shows" we're doing. Aside from those we're partnering with people for a youth theatre show in November, a Staged Reading of The Grapes of Wrath with the local library for The Big Read in April and a Broadway Cabaret in the Spring, probably May.

It's bumming me big, but we lost a lot of money on Seussical last season and I think the board at the time just got scared.

So we're about to start rehearsals for Anne of Green Gables on October 6th.

What is everyone else doing?

Replies:
Posted By: chelserin
Date Posted: 9/28/08 at 1:33pm
Sounds like we have similar stories. Our season was supposed to be
Steel Magnolias
Willy Wonka
Sabrina Fair
Noises Off

First when we found out Willy Wonka was only available in Jr. version the board got scared that people wouldn't come to a "kids" show. So we decided to hold out for the full version, whenever it comes out.
Then we got denied the rights to Noises Off because they are planning a tour of it this year. So we had to find another new show and director.

Now our season is:
Steel Magnolias
The Story of Hansel and Gretel
Sabrina Fair
Something's Afoot.

Steel Magnolias opens Wednesday and is going to be great!

Posted By: tristanrobin
Date Posted: 9/28/08 at 2:02pm
I'm directing "Noon" for the local university; "Dark of the Moon" for an outdoor performances in the Spring; and performing in a new company's production of Chekhov's "The Marriage Proposal."

I'm busy. LOL

Posted By: Linda S
Date Posted: 9/28/08 at 2:35pm
I'm directing "Five Women Wearing The Same Dress"opening in November; "Over The River And Through The Woods" in April; "Blood Brothers" in July, and "Jeckyl & Hyde" in October. Tristan, I know how you feel.  

Because I direct for a couple of theaters I get an overview. I thought it was just in our area, but everyone seems to be having trouble either getting rights or putting together a season.

Linda

Posted By: skoehler
Date Posted: 9/28/08 at 4:00pm
Honky Tonk Angels (closes in about an hour)
Proof
The Man Who Came to Dinner
Children of Eden
Private Lives

Also have a youth season:

Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories
The Giver
The Importance of Being Earnest
The Stinky Cheese Man

Finally, we also have a Staged Reading Series

Spoon River Anthology
Dog Sees God
A World Premier (not yet announced)
Heidi Chronicles

Whew!  I'm tired (and excited) just thinking about it.

-------------
Steven Koehler
Managing Director
Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette
www.lafayettecivic.org

Posted By: SherrieAnne
Date Posted: 9/28/08 at 8:52pm
Around here, we have plenty of theatre to choose from.  I just got finished (about 3 hours ago) with a TERRIFIC production of PIPPIN with one company, & I have my readthrough of GODSPELL with another company tomorrow night - my first shot at directing!  (I think I'm excited - or maybe this is just a feeling of sheer terror...) Confused  That company is also doing a teen production of BYE BYE BIRDIE.  Another local company just finished NOISES OFF!, & is starting rehearsals for BLOOD BROTHERS; others are doing THE KING & I and THE BEST CHRISTMAS PAGEANT EVER.  One of the local colleges is putting up COMPANY (we have several colleges in the area), while one of the high schools is doing THE LARAMIE PROJECT.  (The company that's doing THE BEST CHRISTMAS PAGEANT EVER is doing THE LION IN WINTER next season - I am SOOOOO excited!!!!  I'm old enough to audition for Eleanor now!!!!!)  Big%20smile

-------------
There's a little bit of diva in all of us. Some just have a larger helping than others.

Posted By: kaelidancer
Date Posted: 9/28/08 at 11:34pm
Our season runs with the calendar year, and next year's not set yet.

This year, we had:

The Love List
To Kill a Mockingbird
Lying in State
The Farndale Avenue Housing Estate Townswomen's Guild Dramatic Society's Production of 'Macbeth'

And still to come...
Sweeney Todd (currently in rehearsals, we open the 10th of October)
Don't Dress for Dinner (November)

-------------
Kaeli Gardner
Johnson City Community Theatre
http://www.jcct.us - www.jcct.us
http://www.gardnerarts.com - www.gardnerarts.com

Posted By: Nanette
Date Posted: 9/29/08 at 7:15am
We've just closed Gooney Bird Greene and Her True Life Adventures.  Our winter production is 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, and this spring we will stage Snow White and Friends.

-------------
In a world of margarine, be butter!

Posted By: MartyW
Date Posted: 9/29/08 at 8:13am
This season....  We opened with our second stage production of a 4 show radio show, then on to "Queen of Bingo", currently just finished our first weekend of "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof", next comes our other second stage show, "'Night Mother." then comes our Christmas show "A Charles Dickens' Christmas Carol, A Traveling Travisty In Two Tulmoutous Acts", then "Urinetown" followed by "Pump Boys and Dinetts"

NEXT Season opens with a salute to Hollywood musical review on our second stage, then in no particular set order yet... (waiting on final director selections and show availablity,) The Wizard of OZ, Fiddler on the Roof, an Evening of One Acts, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Odd Couple and a halloween comedy  The House of Frankenstien...

-------------
Marty W

"Till next we trod the boards.."

Posted By: jayzehr
Date Posted: 9/29/08 at 4:59pm
We did "Doubt" this spring, we just finished "Dearly Departed", in November we're doing "Almost, Maine" and in Feb. we are doing an original adaptation of Stephen Crane's "Blue Hotel." We also do childrens' theater for First Night on New Year's Eve.

Posted By: RoseColored Gla
Date Posted: 10/06/08 at 11:17am
We will be producing our first Delaware show in January, and that will be Songs for a New World.  That will be followed by Diet! The Musical in the summer, Edgar's Ghost in October (opening on the anniversary of his death), and Quilt: A Musical Celebration opening on Dec 1.

(not too bad for a first season, if i may say so myself!) LOL

-------------
Dennis Dippary
Artistic Director
Songs for a New World http://rosecoloredglassestheater.com - RoseColored Glasses
May Dionysus smile upon your every performance!

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info