Print Page | Close Window

Who directs the musical?

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Producing Theater
Forum Name: Directing
Forum Discription: For questions about handling shows, actors, crew, board members, children ...or do we repeat ourselves?
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3108
Printed Date: 5/03/24 at 5:56am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Who directs the musical?
Posted By: ACT4JC
Subject: Who directs the musical?
Date Posted: 4/09/08 at 3:56pm
Who should direct the acting in a public school musical?  Theatre Director or Choir Director?

Replies:
Posted By: jayzehr
Date Posted: 4/09/08 at 3:58pm
Is this a trick question?

Date Posted: 4/09/08 at 4:06pm
Not exactly.  I know it is the theater director, but am in a situation currently where I work with a choir director who is convinced that she directs the musicals here.  She told me that she's done it for years and it is her baby.  She said she can do it without me.  I told her that's not how it is done.  I don't think anyone else here knows any better.

Posted By: B-M-D
Date Posted: 4/09/08 at 4:10pm
The fact that it's a public school is not part of the equation.   The director of course.  I think this is a trick question.   The theater director and choir director are the same person.   Notice how you never see them in the room at the same time.Evil%20Smile 

-------------
BD

"Dying is easy, comedy is hard."

Date Posted: 4/09/08 at 5:19pm
Sorry, I guess I shouldn't have been joking around. So, I gather you're new to the job? If so, were your specific job duties something that was discussed by whoever hired you? It would seem to me the only logical course of action is to take it up the chain of command to whoever you both answer to. But I'm not really qualified to comment.

Posted By: spikesgirl
Date Posted: 4/10/08 at 2:24pm
I would think that it's a 50/50 partnership.  Your director would handle the acting aspect, your choral teacher would handle the singing.  not sure who would head up the choreography  - who ever has the most experience would be my call. 

No, the musical director does NOT run the musical - at least not in our theater.

Charlie

Posted By: whitebat
Date Posted: 4/10/08 at 6:19pm
Our HS... the theatre direct directed the acting, choir director the singing, and the speech teacher directed the choreography (I guess because she had a gift for it).  And the choir director and theatre director really didn't appear in the same room that I can ever recall!

Posted By: belle
Date Posted: 4/11/08 at 11:17am

What is your goal here?  Is it "I direct or nothing"?

If the musical director has been directing the whole thing for years, then she's the director whatever her title.  She could be the math teacher.  If she has put on successful shows for years, then she is the director.

Do you want to help and make the show a success and a good experience for the kids? 

I imagine she could use the help, but not if you come in and insist because you are the "theater person," you should direct the acting. 

Going to the principal (up the chain of command) will not endear you to any body. The principal doesn't care.  He/she wants everyone to get along and not make waves.  He/she's not going to piss off someone who has worked for years putting on successful shows.

Talk to the musical director face-to-face and offer to help out.  See what she needs.  Offer to take some of the weight--costuming, choreography, set design/building--if she is willing to share.

It sounds like you are new to the school.  Think of it as being new to a community theatre.  She wants to see what you can do before putting you in the lead.  She has been successful with shows in the past and is not willing to turn over a big portion of the responsibility until she knows what you can do.

Show her you are as dedicated to a good show and a good experience for the kids as she is.  Be on HER side.

Good luck!  I'm sure you have a great contribution to make.

Let us know what happens. 

Date Posted: 4/11/08 at 3:03pm

You understand the situation completely.  All you said is correct.  I'm new - with 8 years experience, but new to this school.  She's done it and been successful as far as I know for 17 years.  It doesn't appear that the principal cares.

That said, I think my attitude has been excellent considering the choir teacher did not say "welcome to the program - here's how we've been doing it - how can we work together on this?"  Instead, she said "You don't understand - this is my thing and I'm doing it - I can do it without you."  So, I said "Alright, I'll design the set and lights and direct the stage crew, but next year it will need to be different."

Well, nothing has changed.  I agree that she is entitled to her position, but the way she went about it was all wrong.  And, it seems she is completely oblivious of the traditions of musical theatre.

Maybe a better question for this forum is "How do choir directors and theatre directors get along?"

Date Posted: 4/11/08 at 3:23pm
Didn't you have any discussion about your job description when you were hired?

Date Posted: 4/11/08 at 3:32pm
Of course, but no one said "Don't expect to be anything more than a glorified parent when it comes to putting on the fall musical."

Date Posted: 4/11/08 at 5:18pm
Were you told that the choir director was in charge of the musical?

Posted By: JoeMc
Date Posted: 4/12/08 at 3:49am
Which ever way you jump, I think you might know. No matter how the show turns out, your going to be the ratbag.
 You have made an offer, so live up to your end of it. Whether she does or not, is San fairy Anne!
In the mean time work on planning the next year production.
Stay squeaky clean & help with her show. A lot can happen before the next production comes about, which may change the situation in your favour.
lets face it she has her feet set in concrete & you want to rearrange the foundations.
The show will happen anyway, so you have all that time to prove your credentials, while checking out the lie of the pitch & playing field.
Ensuring you wear a steel plate to cover your R send, if it is a flop & you have not left any DNA behind at the scene.

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
"Hear the light & see the sound!
TOI TOI CHOOKAS
{may you always play to a full house!}

Posted By: Aimee
Date Posted: 4/13/08 at 10:53am
I work at a high school and for our musicals the choir director does the musical part of it, the "regular" director does the acting part of it. As for Blocking, I think the musical director "fixes" things that don't seem to work well.
I do know the musical director has done it all in the past. I think that it actually may work better with only one person involved, but that just may be due to the fact I have issues with the director.
Good luck with it.

-------------
Aimee

Posted By: SDstoryteller
Date Posted: 6/16/08 at 8:12pm
I have one word for belle....

WORD!

-------------
Watching someone struggle to maintain control is far more fascinating than watching them lose it.

Posted By: sconjott
Date Posted: 6/18/08 at 10:56am
Originally posted by spikesgirl

I would think that it's a 50/50 partnership.  Your director would handle the acting aspect, your choral teacher would handle the singing.  not sure who would head up the choreography  - who ever has the most experience would be my call. 

No, the musical director does NOT run the musical - at least not in our theater.

Charlie

Clap BINGO!!!

Unless your Music/Band/Choir Director has experience and has the authority to do the Theatrical Directing... they need to stick to what they know or teach and let a more knowlegeable (not necessarily talented) person take care of Stage Direction. AND VICE VERSA! As far as choreography goes, Choreography falls more into Stage Direction than Vocal Direction. SO. if you don't have a choreographer  the Director should choreograph dance numbers.

Now, THAT being said, I am so sorry you find yourself in a public school system which seems to be leading the cutting edge of "self centered, self importance" instead of a school where learning is paramount to both teachers and students.  I worked for Fort Worth ISD for 2 years for the Reading Dept. WOW! ... sorry, before I get WAY W A Y off topic on a rant, Have you talked to the principal? It sounded like you had but that's definately the place to start if the MUZAC lady dosn't want to share. It is I am sad to say, all too likely that this is a situation where you're not going to get a chance to prove your worth until you pitch in with what the Music Director is doing... Whatever you do DON'T bust her out in front of the kids.  Try getting some parents on your side because that's the kind of pressure the Principal will eventually listen too.

Best Wishes

-------------
There are NO small roles, only small actors...

Posted By: avgsuperheroine
Date Posted: 7/11/08 at 1:08am
While I've always thought it doesn't make much sense to have the drama director or teacher not be involved in the musicals--I've lived in several different areas of the country and work with hundreds of schools with our costume shop and it's VERY common in smaller to midsize towns to do things that way.  I've seen many, many schools where the drama teacher does one play per year (not a musical) and the music teacher does a musical once a year or every other year.

I don't think that's smart, but it is sometimes the way it is.  I've seen a lot of musicals where it's very clear that there was no drama teacher or experienced stage director involved (great music, fantastic singing and orchestra, but 70 chorus members stand in a straight line to sing a song then march off stage). 

Another sad but true rule of community seems to be that while people hate change, people hate changes that new people make even more.  I hope you've tried to go back and figure out what was agreed upon or where the miscommunication started since you posted this and that things are going better...but if it's not, trying to change things in a big way right off the bat usually goes over like a lead balloon.  I wish you luck.  I hope you're able to gain the respect that you want and convince them that a different partnership is best.

-------------
http://www.dramaticallycorrect.com - Dramatically Correct Cast Gifts
http://www.freewebs.com/costumeorganize - Costume Shop Organization Tips

Posted By: KEB54
Date Posted: 7/24/08 at 4:02pm
I think belle has it right.  You certainly don't want get her POed. You don't want your music director undermining you.  She'll turn everyone against you ("The musicals were so much better when the choir director did them!").  The kids won't try out and the musical will die.

You gotta figure out a way to work together.

How are her productions?  Are they good now?

-------------
KEB

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info