Print Page | Close Window

Willy Wonka Jr.

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Producing Theater
Forum Name: Set Design and Construction
Forum Discription: Post your questions or suggestions about designing or building a set here.
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2903
Printed Date: 4/23/24 at 10:38pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Willy Wonka Jr.
Posted By: sawith2000
Subject: Willy Wonka Jr.
Date Posted: 1/10/08 at 10:09am
Hi All,

I am currently directing a production of Willy Wonka Jr. (an all children cast).  I am experienced in direction, blocking, costumes, etc...but I am weak in the set design and special affects areas.  I would welcome any advice or suggestions.  I am looking for any general info that anyone has, but I am especially looking for suggestions on how to do the following:

-Turn Violet Beauregarde into a Blueberry
-Send Mike Teavea from the camera to the little tv
-Veruca Salts journey into the Nut Sorter
-The chocolate river that Augustus Gloop falls into
-The pink candy boat that they all ride in down the river.

I have an experienced set designer/builder to work with, but would like to come into my meeting with him with some solid, useful ideas.  Any and all would be appreciated. 

Thanks! 

-------------
Susan

Replies:
Posted By: Nanette
Date Posted: 1/11/08 at 7:26pm
As far as turning Violet into a blueberry ... lights would do for the coloring.  To make her "grow", simply put one of those inflatable life-jackets under her costume and use gussets in the costume itself so it will grow with her.

How about using a strobe to send Mike Tevee from the camera to the tv?  Use forced perspective ... make the tv large and place far away on your stage ... then move it forward with the strobe light and he'll appear small inside the large tv.

Do you have a trap door you could use for the nut sorter?

-------------
In a world of margarine, be butter!

Posted By: vickifrank
Date Posted: 1/11/08 at 10:39pm
Great ideas from Nanette...

Maybe you can also:

Make an easy Chocolate river with a large swath of silk-like brown fabric suspended from two sides with a fan under it.

The boat can be done like they do it in Phantom--a motorized cart or wagon on a cable with covering of a boat shape. Light gobos can make the "water" on the ground.

-------------

http://www.studio-productions-inc.com
1-800-359-2964

The theater scrim people

Posted By: Laurie Eager
Date Posted: 1/19/08 at 8:40pm
I, too, am directing a production of Willy Wonka Jr, and it would be great to share ideas via this forum. We are going to try to pre-film Mike TV and show him small on a monitor on stage after he shrinks. As for Violet, I think we are just going to make her turn blue with lights. Nothing yet on the pink candy boat or the nut room. Our stage doesn't have the possibility of a trap door - she may just disappear behind a chute - then a large arrow will flip over to read "BAD NUT". Let's keep in touch. Just noticed the date on your post - probably you have already staged the production. Still any input would be most appreciated!!

-------------
Laurie

Posted By: dwhitson
Date Posted: 1/20/08 at 11:22am
We are also doing Willy Wonka Jr. Show dates in Mid-March '08.

We are planning on using lighting to make Violet violet. Another theater in our area did Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. They used a sumo wrestler costume to blow Violet up. I think we're going to try to go that route. We had discussed using compressed air with an inner tube around Violet's waist, but couldn't figure out how to hook her up to the compressed air easily. The sumo suit has a built in air pump and, according to this other theater, takes about a minute or two to blow up. I would really like to find one to try out before we purchase one though.

With the nut chute, we are building a platform with a chute on the front of it so that Veruca can dip down and hide behind the chute. We did this for Aladdin Jr. and it worked really well. We will be using a red light and a green light on the front of the chute to show the "Bad Nut/Good Nut" sign

Our boat is a BIG issue right now. There is so much weight that needs to go into that boat! We also need it to move around the stage because of the length of the song. The plan right now is to build the boat frame like a tricycle with a rudder at the front and two wheels in the back that will be turned by Oompa Loompas.

Well, that's all I've got. Please let me know what you've worked out for your show. I would love to hear other ideas!!!

Date Posted: 1/20/08 at 12:04pm
I'm seewing Willy's coat this weekend from purple crushed velvet. I will keep in touch as we work out other aspects of the show. We are an elementary school in Central California. This is our 7th play - would love to hear how Aladin was as well - we have considered that one for the future.....

-------------
Laurie

Posted By: nicoliver
Date Posted: 1/24/08 at 11:25am
I am directing Wonka Jr. as well in an elementary school and I am seeking some help:

I was wondering if anyone was going to use the black light effect for the boat scene and if so, what wattage bulb do I have to buy for a medium-sized procenium theatre.

Also, does anyone know a good bubble machine for a good price?

Does anyone have any suggestions for flying? 

Posted By: nicoliver
Date Posted: 1/24/08 at 11:29am

Suggestion for the pink boat:

Why don't you see if you can borrow a flat-bed on wheels from the custodial staff and build a facade around that.  I used one Cinderella's coach last year and it worked well.  It's big enough to support all of the cast members and it can be pulled through by the oompa loompas.

Date Posted: 1/24/08 at 3:24pm
There are some great bubble screen savers available. I am looking into projecting that onto a large screen if possible for the fizzy lifting room.

-------------
Laurie

Posted By: JoeMc
Date Posted: 1/24/08 at 3:39pm
The cheapest way to 'blacklight' [UV] is with a domestic 4' fluro light fixture & buy a blacklight tube to fit. You might get a way with one fitting depending upon the paint &/or material.
Or you could use;-  Glow in the dark products http://glowinc.com/ - http://glowinc.com/
or
http://www.wildfirefx.com/product_list1.aspx?CID=2 - http://www.wildfirefx.com/product_list1.aspx?CID=2

As for the bubble machine there are a few elcheapo units available from various local shops. For a decent bubble it may better to hire one from a theatrical lighting supplier.

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
"Hear the light & see the sound!
TOI TOI CHOOKAS
{may you always play to a full house!}

Posted By: Topper
Date Posted: 1/24/08 at 4:02pm
To zap Mike Teavee, you could rely on the cheap trick of blasting bright lights directly at the audience. This would force everyone to blink and turn their heads, while the actor ducked behind a scrim or set piece.

Then, use a strobe light and electronic SFX for the transfer and -- once the lighting has stabilized -- have a small marionette, hand-puppet or finger-puppet inside the hollowed-out fake TV with the actor's voice from a tape or microphone offstage.

(A finger puppet would allow Mrs. Teavee to remove the child and stuff him in her purse, as well).

-------------
"None of us really grow up. All we ever do is learn how to behave in public." -- Keith Johnstone

Posted By: alleah13
Date Posted: 2/04/08 at 6:20pm
We're working on Wonka Jr as well... The one thing I highly recommend is a moving platform (we are building two 4x4foot platforms with casters) that we can use for the grandparents bed, and then the pink candy boat.

We're going to do the chocolate river with the fabric as well and either use a fans or 2 stage hands on either wing billowing it up and down.

Violet: Inflatable Sumo Suit with blue/violet light hitting it. I think we're going to slip her into it during her song while Wonka is singing his part.

Veruca: Don't know how we're doing that yet.

Fizzy Lifting Sequence. One of the Dad's is pretty handy so we're going to fashion a "backdrop" scene that comes down from the ceiling to simulate them floating. We're going to combine it with lighting (spot?) with a paddle in front of it so it keeps shading the light to simulate the fan they're getting sucked up into. Combine that with the bubbles and I'm hoping we get a pretty good effect. Also, we're going to make Charlie & Grandpa "teeter" a little like on a mini seesaw so it looks like they're flying. If you can't bring them up  to the ceiling, we're going to bring the ceiling down to them.

Pink Candy Boat: We're going to use the platform I mentioned above and make the side/front of the boat with cardboard. The kids that will be on the open sided end will be able to keep their feet on the floor to help scoot it along, or we'll put a hook on the bottom so we can pull it back.

Mike: PVC frame with cardboard around the edge to make it look like an oversized tv with fabric for the screen (big enough that a kid can jump into it) on one side of the stage. And then a "Ken doll" outfitted the same as our character inside the "little tv" on the other side of the stage.

I'm up for more ideas. Our show isn't until the end of April.

Posted By: Nyria
Date Posted: 2/18/08 at 5:35pm
This thread has me a little freaked out!  I was thinking of doing this show next year, thinking that the Jr. version would be a little easier... perhpaps not.
We did Willy Wonka (full version) when I was a teen and all I remember about the blueberry was that they rolled a giant earth ball onto the stage.  I don't know how they did it - - if they took her off and then put it on - if they had fake arms, legs and head coming out?  I remember it looked cool but I don't remember why - soory =)

-------------
NYRIA

Posted By: sawith2000
Date Posted: 2/19/08 at 8:04am
I recently posted a question asking for suggestions on how to do the special affects for Willy Wonka Jr.  First off, thanks to everyone who weighed in, all of your suggestions were creative and helpful. 

Second, I thought I would share what we have come up with...I have a great team of folks who have really embraced this project.

For Violet, we got a child size blow up sumo wrestlers suit and cut the legs down to the knees.  One of my stage Dads hobby is flying radio control airplanes and he has rigged up a remote control to inflate the costume from the audience.  We will be testing it this thursday.  I will let you know how it turns out. 

For the Mike Teavea scene, we are building a huge tv for him to jump into and then we are using a big flat screen tv that we are going to record the rest of the scene and play it.  We will then pick up a barbie sized doll of him and carry him off.

The chocolate river will be long pieces of brown fabric controlled by Oompa's. 

Hope this inspires all of you to get creative!

Thanks again for all of your advice and suggestions.

Susan 

-------------
Susan

Posted By: oldwestend
Date Posted: 2/21/08 at 10:07pm
In my google search for Wonka Jr. costumes, I happened upon this forum.  Thanks for the great suggestions.  I am producing Wonka Jr. (first time flying solo on this) for a middle school.  I am going to try the sumo outfit for Veruca.  A local costume shop had an inflating innertube dress- and it looked awful, didn't lay right- not at all cute.
Here's what we have come  up with:
For fizzy lifting- we are building a platform that is on a flat.  It will have a back wall attached to it.  I found "bubble" wallpaper (from Disney- just google disney bubble wallpaper) and we are papering the back wall and the front of the platform.  With the addition of a bubble machine, I think we will get the desired effect.
For the boat- we built an open bottomed frame, then cut the shape out of luan for the front and back.  It looks like a long chinese junk.  It is on wheels , and the cast "walks" it across the stage.  It sounds weird, but they have their behinds resting against a wooden brace so it looks like their sitting.  With so many of them in the boat, they just shuffle their feet and it moves. 

Has anyone attempted the Light boxes that the director's script calls for?
I have always loved this book, but this is one of the most difficult builds we have ever done.  Last year we did Seussical- very easy-
Good luck to everyone

-------------
new2thescene

Date Posted: 2/22/08 at 11:57am
For the light boxes we painted light-weight wooden signs black and had a sign shop cut the names out of gold lettering. We drilled evenly spaced holes around the edges and screwed in a strip of 1" lights (Christmas ball lights from Target) They are suspended above the stage by chain and our stage crew lights each one on cue. They look great.

For the bubble room: We painted our backdrop silver and glued on circles cut from bubble wrap, circles cut from silvery wrapping paper and silver Christmas balls of various sizes along with tiny "bubbles" that are those flat-sided glass stones you get at the craft store. We have Charlie and grandpa on a teeter-totter (loved that idea from another post) and 6 Oompa Loompas on stage hand-blowing bubbles into the scene. We are an elementary school and the effect is just right for our cast.

-------------
Laurie

Posted By: oldwestend
Date Posted: 2/23/08 at 12:02pm
Love the teeter totter idea, and the bubble wrap- thanks!

-------------
new2thescene

Posted By: dwhitson
Date Posted: 2/26/08 at 4:11pm

Hi, Everyone,

We are almost to "Heck Week" and I thought that I would post the solutions we came up with. If anyone is in Hartland, MI on March 14th or 15th, come see the show.

Violet- The sumo suit didn't work for us. We couldn't find a costume material light enough to allow the sumo suit to inflate underneath. My brilliant costume designer, and her engineer husband, used (of all things) large, black, duct taped garbage bags and a pancake air compressor. We fill the compressor before the show so it's ready. We then attach the "suit" to the compressor via a hidden Oompa. I don't know if the connector is a bike valve or what. I'll find out and post again. We are then hitting her with a blue spot.

Fizzy lifting- We are renting a bubble machine from another local theater group. We are liffting the kids with harnasses and a pulley. Fun!

The boat- Is on a rolling platform with framed sides that are covered with muslin and painted. We used LOTS of heavy duty, ball-bearing casters underneath. That was the key to it all because of the weight of the kids. There are two oompas sitting backwards and hidden in the back of the boat that push the boat with their feet. We used the front tire and handle bars from a bike in the front to steer the boat.

Light boxes- I wish I would have read the previous post earlier! I would have used your idea. We have built boxes and put plexi glass in the front of them. We have Christmas lights inside to light them up. This took way too long for the effect.

Our gobstopper machine is amazing. We have a dad in the pnuematic industry who built a machine that moves via pnuematic cylinders. It even has a conveyor belt that pops out the gobstopper with the press of a button. Way cool! We covered it with fabric like the original movie. It occured to me, however, that we could have put a few small Oompas under there with sticks and had the same effect. But, it was fun to do.

It's so great that we get such creative minds in community theater!
I hope this post helps. Good luck, everyone, with your own productions. Break a leg!

Posted By: machines01
Date Posted: 2/28/08 at 9:13am
Hi-

For Verucas costume we found a blowup halloween costume called the Wacky tourist and it has it's own battery operated fan to blow it up.  It owrks in about 30 sec.  We are using a big powderpuff to apply the blue eye shadow during the choreography of the Chew It! Song.

Also I am needing a good suggestion for the nut room.  We have built a platform about 4' tall and 40' long with stair on either and and a ramp in the middle for the kids to access the stage floor.  This gives us heighth for "falling" in to the choco river and for Veruca and Mr Salt to fall in the chute.  I have the choco river done, I am stuck on how to create the "floor" for the chute.

We have a VERY large stage so most of my set is big!  But cool!

I am up for suggestions!

Date Posted: 3/03/08 at 12:26am
Our show ran 2/28 and 2/29 and was a grand success. For the pink candy boat - we just had the kids stand behind the boat and sway as if it were moving - also added moving lights to enhance the effect. We had dozens of Oompa Loompas and divided them into 4 "teams" each done in its own color. Good luck to all the other chocolate factories out there!

-------------
Laurie

Posted By: mickeym
Date Posted: 3/07/08 at 9:42pm
For Veruca and the nut chute, we will be using a playskool slide behind a poster of the machine with squirrals.

For the Fizzy Lifting room, we are planning on using mini-tramps and have Charlie and Grandpa Joe bounce.

Date Posted: 3/08/08 at 5:07pm
Our show ran last week and was a great success. The audience loved our 48 Oompa Loompas divided into 4 color "teams" with rainbow striped tights on all of them and red, blue, yellow and lime green t-shirts.

-------------
Laurie

Posted By: musicmom1212
Date Posted: 3/14/08 at 1:42pm

Our junior high did Aladdin last year. They also did Grease Jr! This was, by far, the most popular musical, though the kids have enjoyed most of the productions such as Annie Jr, Music Man Jr, and King & I. This year is Wizard of Oz.

-------------
Cathy

Date Posted: 3/14/08 at 3:26pm
Musicmom1212
Thanks for your post - is it possible to communicate directly with you via e-mail. Would love to hear more about Aladin - we've done many of the same productions
LaurEager@aol.com

-------------
Laurie

Posted By: Deede
Date Posted: 3/26/08 at 7:44pm
We are doing this show on May 6th with 4th and 5th graders from our school. I would love to see pictures from your production or anyone else, for that matter. We are struggling to come up set design. Any ideas would be wonderful

Posted By: kydramagirl
Date Posted: 3/28/08 at 3:38am
We are planning to build a three sided triangular moving platform for exits like veruca's and mike's. There will be a hole with something over it to hide the actor once they fall through, and will be big enough for them to hang out in there until we can turn the platform around for the next scene. I hope you "get" the concept. I designed it, but it's hard to type it out.Tongue 

-------------
Panda " And all that jazz"

Date Posted: 3/28/08 at 9:05pm
We did a similar idea - a 4-sided box (each side was 6' high and 8' wide) that rotated on casters. One side was the chocolate smelting room, one side the nut room - with chute cut into it - one was the fizzy lifting room and one was the inventing room. Then it opened up into the TV studio. The stage crew turned it 1/4 turn at each scene change while the cast temporarily left the stage.

-------------
Laurie

Date Posted: 3/29/08 at 9:30am
We're a little less than a month out from our show and wanted to share what else we've come up with:

Violet: Went to GoodWill and found a 2 similar violet pant suits-one for her and one for her mom. Violet's jacket zipper's down so at intermission she'll put the inflatable sumo suit on with the bulk tucked into her jacket. During the break in her song she'll run offstage, unzip her jacket and turn on the inflatable. She's only inflating from her waist up and leaving the jacket on. There's enough force to push her jacket open and she'll raise her arms as she gets bigger. With a violet light slowly getting stronger, the suit getting bigger, her arms raising, I think the effect will be good. When she "pops" we're also going to hit the audience with a quick flash of light, and we have 2 handheld confetti shooters we're going to shoot out into the audience. I'm hoping the effects playout as well during the show as they do in my head!

Augustus: We cast one of the skinniest kids in this role b/c we thought it not only would be hysterical to see her walk out, but we didn't want to "type cast" an overweight pre-teen. That being said, while at GoodWill I bought the biggest pair of mens pants I could find (houndstooth print to boot!). I got a small hula hoop and hot glued the pant waist around the hoop...added felt 'liederhosen' suspenders and viola! I found a houndstooth dress for Mrs Gloop to coordinate. I found Alpine style hats with feathers for both of them online. I also got a hat with a propeller on it  for when Phineous interviews them at home.

Fizzy Lifting Room: With the bubbles & lighting I originally thought we'd set them up on a slight teetering mechanism, however the other day at rehearsal one of the siblings in the cast was rolling around on heeley's so we're going to have Charlie & Grandpa rolling around the stage for that.

If anyone has any pictures of scenes/costumes then can send me, that would be great! mailto:alleah13@hotmail.com - alleah13@hotmail.com

Posted By: Costume Lady
Date Posted: 4/20/08 at 2:31pm
So your production must be done!  Did you use the Sumo suit for Violet?  If so, did that work well, were there any glitches with it?  How did the costumer dress the suit?  Was the actress in it at the beginning of the scene, or did she slip into it offstage, as the script suggests, during the song?  

-------------
The Costume Lady
Kitsap Children's Musical Theatre: Providing a positive and fun musical theatre experience for kids ages 5-18.

Date Posted: 4/21/08 at 9:05am
This week is actually our show week! Opening night is Thursday.

It's almost impossible for Violet to get changed during the song, so during intermission is when she'll put the sumo suit on under her costume. She's wearing a Violet pant suit and the jacket to the suit zips up. During the break in the song she's running offstage and unzipping her jacket (but leaving it on) and turning on the sumo inflater. She'll go back out and as the suit inflates, it pushes the jacket open, and Violet slowly raises her arms to add to the inflating. The pant waist keeps the bottom half from inflating so she's just blowing up from the waist up. We've combined that with the blue lighting and the effect is really good. I also purchased handheld confetti shooters that are stuffed with purple & blue confetti so that when she "pops" the audience gets sprayed with confetti (we'll restuff for the end with metallic gold confetti ala golden tickets raining down) I think we might actually use a flash of stobe lighting for the pop too. We've got tech rehearsal tonight and full dress tomorrow.

Date Posted: 4/21/08 at 9:58am
Thanks for taking the time to reply, you must be extremely busy!   Let me know how the show goes!  I think your plan sounds great!

-------------
The Costume Lady
Kitsap Children's Musical Theatre: Providing a positive and fun musical theatre experience for kids ages 5-18.

Date Posted: 4/29/08 at 12:03am
As if opening night wouldn't be crazy enough, we actually had Tim McDonald (the playwright who adapted Charlie & the Choc Factory to WWJ!) and his creative team sitting in our front row!!

All in all, it was a great production. It's funny how things come together in the end. Tim & his team were so gracious and complimentary and it really meant a lot to our kids--especially since we live in a pretty small town in NJ.

The Heely's were a huge hit, as were the confetti cannons. Both kids & adults in the audience got a real kick out of them. For fizzy lifting I bought a "Gazillion Bubbles" machine for $10 at KMart and put an additional fan on it to get the bubbles across stage. Best 10 bucks I spent! We also invested in a dimmer pack & board and were able to bring the lights up and down on SL and SR to simulate the "fan" sucking them up. If anyone wants some ideas or pics, please email me and I'd be happy to help out.

Posted By: SutteN
Date Posted: 6/05/08 at 1:19pm
I just found this discussion board and I am also directing Willy Wonka jr. in the fall of 2008.  I have been doing the Jr. since they first came out, this past fall had great fun with Seussical jr.  These are great shows for elementary and middle school kids!  Just beginning to get ideas for Willy Wonka jr.  You have shared many great ideas.  I liked your confetti shooter ideas for Violet and the metallic gold confetti at the end of the show.  I've never used a confetti shooter.  I was looking on line for handheld confetti shooters and wondered if you used the Kabuki 32" Celebration launcher or the Kabuki 18" Celebraton launcher which they say can be hidden, but I'm not sure if it will shoot the confetti far enough.  What kind of shooters did you use?  Also, was the sumo suit a kid size? (Halloween party store type, cheap around $25.00)  Were you happy how your ideas worked now that the show is over and you have had time to digest it all.

SutteN

-------------
SutteN

Posted By: Patty G
Date Posted: 7/27/08 at 1:18pm
Hey, SutteN - looks like you already found this forum!  What a great place to get ideas! Star

Patty

-------------
Patty
President, Lake Country Children's Theater

Posted By: Onstage
Date Posted: 7/31/08 at 4:47pm
Hi there,
My son was Charlie in this production this year.

For the Fizzy lifting room, we had bubbles but what worked WAY better was an HUGE disco ball that threw circles all over the stage. With the room darkened, many people thought they were really flying. The bubble machine added a lot to the performance. We also had a smoke machine blowing but it really wasn't necessary and was distracting in my opinion. Set seems easy, but it looked great! The kids balanced on black ladders and the spotlight was aimed at the waist up - looked like they were floating.

I have lots of ideas and can provide photos of our set to anyone interested. Also, if anyone needs signs for the factory rooms, candy bar wrappers, etc., please email me. I designed many of the graphics (poster too) and would be willing to share with any Wonkers out there! :)

Posted By: theatregeek101
Date Posted: 8/05/08 at 5:35pm
Yay!  A Wonkerer!!

I am directing this show for a run in October- where are you located?  I'm in North Central Texas- just north of Fort Worth- and an need of a backdrop-

thanks!

-------------
"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." -Emerson

Date Posted: 8/08/08 at 3:55pm
I'm in the North East. Cannot help w/the backdrop but can help w/posters, tickets, candy wrappers, room signs (if you need some), etc. Can email to you and give you ideas on how we made the drop, etc.

Just let me know how I can help! :)

Posted By: Patty G
Date Posted: 8/08/08 at 11:57pm
Hello, Onstage -

Would like to take you up on your offer to share the documents you created for Willy Wonka!  We in Delafield, WI would be most grateful for any help.  Thanks for the offer.

Patty
mailto:jufray@att.net - jufray@att.net

-------------
Patty
President, Lake Country Children's Theater

Posted By: CaptainHook
Date Posted: 8/21/08 at 7:45pm
We're putting on the play in December here in the NorthEast. Anything you have to help our set would be greatly appreciated...

Date Posted: 8/21/08 at 10:24pm
Where about in the NorthEast are you? I'm in Jersey, just outside Philadelphia

Posted By: CaptainHook
Date Posted: 8/21/08 at 11:54pm
I'm a little more NorthEast, just north of Boston...

Date Posted: 8/22/08 at 11:14am
If you are interested in wonka things, email me at info@iwascast.com

I don't have any large set items or the backdrop - everything has been removed and is not available. I can help out with all the little stuff which TRUST me will save you a lot of time. :) I basically have:

Poster design (very attractive poster - can be customized)

Tickets ( Golden ticket themed - can be customized)

candy wrappers (all kinds for all the bars)

Fizzy Drink Labels - these fit on the small glass ginger ale bottles

Large printable room signs (professionally designed) for the 5 factory stops (you would need access to a large scale printer to use these)

Since there has been such great interest, I may see about uploading everything to a web site where people can simply download what they need.

Anyhow, send me an email if you need something (not listed above) - I may have it. :) I can also send photos of our set to give you some ideas.

Posted By: R-tist
Date Posted: 8/27/08 at 12:00pm
I'd like to take you up on your offer of photos.  I'm really interested in the Fizzy Lifting room.  Our production is coming up in the end of September and I feel I have a good grip on everything but this effect.  

-------------
Mary H.

Posted By: theatregeek101
Date Posted: 8/28/08 at 6:07pm
Onstage-

I will email you!

Thanks-

TheatreGeek

-------------
"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." -Emerson

Posted By: startingout
Date Posted: 9/12/08 at 3:06pm
I have done that one
The boat we made with card board the kids carried this along a close curtin,
The girl that turns blue The costume was white and we used a spot light,

The chocolate river we used two brown light weight fabric With fans

With mike we use a projector and a screen  we made a movie and had the kid moving slowly around

Posted By: startingout
Date Posted: 9/12/08 at 3:28pm
For the trash scene We built a platform so the kid could jump into brand new rolling garbage can (local garabage co.) and had the squirrel roll the can off the stage

Posted By: SweeneyBob
Date Posted: 9/14/08 at 4:41pm
Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Last night, we completed our very successful run of Seussical. After the show, I was approached to direct next years musical, and someone made the suggestion to do Willy Wonka. I've looked into it, and I would be very interested in the musical version licensed by MTI. My first question is has anyone used the TYA version of Willy Wonka and if they know of any differences between it and the Jr. version. (We did the full version of Seussical, instead of TYA and I hope the full version of Wonka will be released before next summer). My second question is what settings are required? It appears that we will need the Bucket family house, something suggestive of their neighborhood, the gates to the factory, and then the various rooms of the factory. Am I missing anything? It seems a bit intimidating, as we usually like to do shows with one set (We got away with doing a very simplistic Music Man on a very versatile town square). It appears that maybe I could do the Oompa Loompa songs in front of a traveler while the main set is changed.

This thread seems to be an EXCELLENT resource. I can't wait to borrow some ideas from here.

Date Posted: 9/15/08 at 10:33am
Hi Bob--I too, am mostly a lurker, but thought you might find my info useful.  We are currently doing the MTI version.  I don't know the TYA version, but here's what I can tell you about MTI.  There is a lot of singing--it is almost an operetta.  Our director didn't really like the script at first.  The dialogue was dumb--it was as if the writers didn't think kids could memorize real lines.  She took out a couple of songs, and changed and added dialogue straight from the book.  Our production is going to mirror Roald Dahl's book more closely than either movie or the stage production.  We've been advertising it that way, and so far, the response has been great.  We have already sold out our 2 school assembly performances! 
    For sets,   we open with the Candy man in the street.  We will have a white background on which we will shine a GOBO of a city skyline.  We will have a lamp post, and some benches, a fire hydrant--all to give the effect of a city street.  Costume-wise,   The Candy Man and his cart are they only bright spots on the stage (He's wearing a red and white  barbershop style outfit, and is pushing a bright yellow cart with variously colored candy on it).  My chorus is going to be dressed in black, blue, gray, and white to give the effect of city coldness and dullness.  After that scene, curtain closes, we move the props off, and move our Bucket Shack interior on stage.  These are just moveable set pieces, and they are set on SR.  CS and SL are empty.  We still have the city scape on the background.  We bring warm--colored lights on the Bucket side of the stage for that action.  As the action shifts from the Buckets to the news reports, the lights go down on the Buckets, and goes up on a newsroom set up.  Twice our ticket winners will be coming from the audience  and the action is taking place off stage. 
   When we are outside the factory gates, we will have another GOBO of a large building, and we happen to have a gate structure with 2 pillars already in our stores. 
   I don't know the details of the factory inside, but it sounds like our set guy is going big.   This is going to be hugely colorful, and my costumes for the Oompas are in flourescent colors. ( We are trying to go for the Wizard of Oz effect of black and white to Technicolor!)  My Wonka is wearing a purple coat that has some sequins embroidered into the fabric, so he literally sparkles.  He will be dressed just as he is described in the book.   The set guy  is using one basic backdrop with a "Small World" (Disney Land) kind of design on it.  Then he's putting  out various set pieces that he is constructing.  He's pretty ingenious about creating set pieces that can be turned around and upside down to make new  things.  The Boat background is just a black stage.  We're using a blacklight, and we're going to have dancers with florescent ribbons dancing around the boat to give the weird psychodelic effect.  The TV room is also another simple set up, with just the white backdrop, and we're also putting a white cloth down to cover the whole of the stage.  It will look very sterile. 
   I would say this is our most complicated show set-wise, but I think it will also be our biggest show yet.  The response from the community has been great, and we haven't even started selling tickets yet (aside from the assembly shows.)    We have decided to add two Sat. matinees which we don't normally do. 
   When we go to production, I will probably post pictures on my blog and my facebook page.  We will probably have pictures on our website as well.  Costume-wise, we might be able to rent your group some of our costumes.  Our Oompas are going to be quite unique--I'm sticking pretty close to Quentin Blakes's illustrations in the book--they are nothing like what is seen in either movie.  I've just completed my Augustus Gloop costume--we have a normal weight boy playing that part, and I'm making him a size 42!  On a 4'11 frame, he looks quite round! 

Hope I've given you some good ideas.  I think if your group went with this production it would be a big hit.  It's a whole lot of fun, too! 

Janet

-------------
The Costume Lady

Date Posted: 9/15/08 at 10:41am
And yes, we're having our Oompas doing a couple of songs with dances in front of the traveler as the set is being changed.  

-------------
The Costume Lady

Posted By: SweeneyBob
Date Posted: 9/16/08 at 12:35am
WOW! Thank you so much, Janet. That was VERY thorough.

Posted By: mrs. c
Date Posted: 10/09/08 at 10:11pm
Where did you order Grease Jr. from? I don't see it in the catalog of Broadway Jr. shows. Thanks!

Posted By: mrs. c
Date Posted: 10/09/08 at 10:14pm
I would love to see your photos from Willy Wonka Jr. Thanks! Mrs. C

Posted By: mamabear
Date Posted: 10/16/08 at 4:21am
Hi!

I just read your post.  I also JUST joined the forum.  Do you still have any posters or pics or ideas for Wonka Jr that you can share?

I'd really appreciate it!  Thanks

-------------
MamaBear

Date Posted: 10/16/08 at 4:23am
HI  I just joined the forum and wondered if you still have poster ideas or pics you would share.  Thanks!

-------------
MamaBear

Posted By: KEB54
Date Posted: 10/16/08 at 1:19pm
It's not really "Grease Jr" (an MTI classification), but rather "Grease: School Version" from Samuel French.  http://www.samuelfrench.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/6459 - http://www.samuelfrench.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/6459

Some of the languge is toned down, but still might be pretty rough to some.  I think you loose some of the songs as well.

What would be nice is a blending of "Grease" and "Grease: School Version" to get all the action and songs, but toning down some of the language. 

-------------
KEB

Date Posted: 10/22/08 at 7:31pm
ClapHi Wonka-ers! 

We are in the middle of our production of WW, Jr.  It's going really well.  Most of my pics feature costumes, but you are welcome to take a look!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=36384&l=2c989&id=597429037

< ="Content-" content="text/; charset=utf-8">< name="ProgId" content="Word.">< name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10">< name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><>

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=36383&l=0bb14&id=597429037

-------------
The Costume Lady

Posted By: flyweed
Date Posted: 10/27/08 at 12:17pm
Hi all,

for anyone interested or going to be producing Willy Wonka Jr or (tya) we just finished our very successful run about 2 weeks ago.  We kept the entire set and costumes for rental purposes.  So if you are producing this show and need a set and oompa loompa costumes..and are in the Midwest around or near Wisconsin...our set is available for $1,000 per entire run.

I have pictures available upon request, also a video of our production I can send out as well.

We have the bucket shack "flyable" background, bucket shack bed, candy cart that lights up,  pink candy boat that is painted in all flourescent paint, so it glows under black light, Agustus Gloop table of food, fizzy lifting room that lights up and blows out bubbles out the top, nut room that has red and green working lights for "good nut/bad nut", inventing room that lights up and has clear tubes that the "gobstopper" travels down in..needs to be mounted to your scaffolding.  chocolate smelting pot and spigot.  We have light up "hoop" columns that can be hung and top lit for the factory as well.  plus numerous candy "cutouts".  Also the choco vision room camera and tv.

We used video projections on our cyc as well, and that dvd is available from us to use as well if you are at all interested in projecting, moving backgrounds..which work well for this show.

We also have oompa loompa costumes that come with purple goggles,  polka dot jackets, white knickers, and matching spats and lime green wigs..enough for 18 people

Again, we'd like $1,000 per rental for this set.  It's really nice and we hope someone else can get some use out of it.

Thanks
Dan H
Marie W. Heider Center for the Arts
West Salem, WI 

Posted By: Mr. Jones
Date Posted: 10/30/08 at 1:04pm
I would love to get a copy of the graphics/signs you created.  Thanks for the offer.
Robert
robjones@dallasisd.org

-------------
Keeping Drama on the Stage

Date Posted: 10/30/08 at 3:01pm
Our Wonka, Jr. production closed last weekend.  I have for RENT:

Willy Wonka costume
A white Wonka Jacket and pull-on pants (for TV room)
Augustus Gloop lederhosen, shirt, socks, and hat (fat included!)
Mrs. Gloop costume
Phineous Trout (female)
Mrs. Beauregard and Violet costumes
Mike TeeVee hoodie and almost matching jacket in 4T for a small body double
Blueberry costume
Oompa Loompa costumes--done as described by the book, not the movies!  5 girl costumes and 5 boys costumes available
White Chef Jackets and white hoods for TV room (11 available) 

Email me for specifics and pictures: 
sedyzoo@juno.com

Even if this post gets "old"  this is an on-going rental, so please just write if interested.

Thank you!

-------------
The Costume Lady

Posted By: machines01
Date Posted: 10/30/08 at 3:21pm
I did Willy Wonka jr last spring

We used a Halloween costume called the Wacky Tourist.  It is an inflatable costume of an oversized man.  We then had violet wear a purple "tucked" dess that when the fan blows the costume will go with it. (battery run fan comes with costume)  We also used loose blue face make-up that when she turned around two oompas patted it on her face quickly and she appeared blue from the audience.

For the nut chute, we had an elevated platform with a ramp.  We then set up a curtain attached to a hinged plywood to open large enough to fit the squirels and their handlers in.  Veruca sang her song sn plunged down the ramp (unseen, because it was covered with black fabric from the audience's point of view) and simply waited to leave until after Mr Salt dove in after her.  They both then exited under the ramp and out behind the platform.

For the Chocolate river, we had oompas holing on to the river and waving it in three sections deep.  Under the "river" we had a mattress.  On tha same platform mentioned above Augustus leaned over the side and "drank" from the fountain with the help pf Nutella he has holding in his hand and gave the appearance of chocolate all over his hands and face.  When the time came, he simply fell off the platform onto the mattres and "into" the river.  He also left under the platform.

For the Candy boat we had a simple pink faced viking ship looking cut out being carried by oompas.  It moved slowly until it reached center stage.  Everyone got in and then during the song it was nothing but blacklights.  So th spider and dancers all moved around the boat as it stayed put giving the illusion that it was moving.  Then lights come up and they exit the boat and are in a different room.

As for mike, we had one very large box and one small box made to look like TVS.  The large one was covered in a fabric across the screen and he ran through the tv to off stage while immediately an OOmpa "finds" Mike in the small TV and Wonka simply picks up a doll dressed like Mike and Mike speaks from off stage.

I hope this helps spark some ideas for you.

Date Posted: 11/06/08 at 7:37pm
All,

The nut scene can be done VERY easy. We used a huge 55 gallon drum. There were three on the stage - one had the back cut off of it (it was only half round). The squirrels would throw large hand made nuts into the two barrels and the third was reserved for Veruca. She would stand behind it singing and then slowly bend down behind it - from stage, looked like she fell in. Sounds too easy to work but it was very effective. We actually painted our barrels in bright pink with stripes - they were really cute. Our nuts were amazing - actually made with paper bags, stuffing, etc.

For the Mike TV scene - we created a large wonka vision (shrink device) by using a large telescope with an attached horn off the front. Looked like a shrink gun. The whole thing was painted in metallic silver. The light effects allowed time for Mike to disappear quickly and then he reappeared as a small doll inside a fake TV. It was VERY well done and was really quite comical. I recommend searching www.iwascast.com for Wonka to see photos and such. Several shows have been logged here. Please email me if you have questions, need photos or anything. :)

A fellow Wonker! :)

Date Posted: 11/06/08 at 7:45pm
Yes, email me & I have a poster you can use and alter. info@iwascast.com

Posted By: J.ORey
Date Posted: 11/12/08 at 10:34pm
Thanks so much for sharing your ideas our Wonka production is going to be in January 09.  I would love to see your pictures. Also we plan to promote our production by selling candy bars with  5 golden tickets hidden inside to be redeemed for special rewards. So any suggestions you may have for labels or graphics would be greatly appreciated.

-------------
J.ORey

Posted By: J.ORey
Date Posted: 11/12/08 at 10:53pm
Hi
Your set and costumes sounds fabulous. However it's a little too far for me to take advantage of your rental. We are located just north of New Orleans.  Our production is in Jan. 09.
However I'am interested in seeing your pictures and I would love to view your video as well.  Maybe  we will be able to get some ideas from your production.

-------------
J.ORey

Posted By: Booksue
Date Posted: 11/16/08 at 3:08pm
I am directing Willy Wonka, Jr. for the middle school where I teach. Our show is April, 2009 and we are beginning to work on our sets. Does anyone have any ideas about how to make large candy for the factory scenes? I have been thinking about using styrofoam, but it is very expensive. i would like to have candy the oompa loompas can roll out or carry out. 

Posted By: ScoozeB
Date Posted: 11/16/08 at 6:07pm
Hi,

I'm currently directing Willy Wonka at an Elementary School, performances scheduled for March 2009. Our Art teacher is working with students to create candies out of paper mache. Her plan is to have some lollipops, some candy canes, huge gummi bears, etc. I have high hopes that it will provide a cost effective way to dress the set

Date Posted: 11/16/08 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by J.ORey

Hi
Your set and costumes sounds fabulous. However it's a little too far for me to take advantage of your rental. We are located just north of New Orleans.  Our production is in Jan. 09.
However I'am interested in seeing your pictures and I would love to view your video as well.  Maybe  we will be able to get some ideas from your production.

What a super Idea!  I can't believe I didn't think of that ;)

Originally posted by Booksue

I am directing Willy Wonka, Jr. for the middle school where I teach. Our show is April, 2009 and we are beginning to work on our sets. Does anyone have any ideas about how to make large candy for the factory scenes? I have been thinking about using styrofoam, but it is very expensive. i would like to have candy the oompa loompas can roll out or carry out. 

Check out orientaltrading.com for soem cool stuff - including large balls.  I got a bunch of those halloween jackolatntern shaped things that kids carry when trick-or-treating (probably  way easier name for those somewhere). we are going to cover them in cellophane (sp?) for large candy balls.   And Lollipops would be pretty easy to make with cardboard or whatever.

-------------
NYRIA

Date Posted: 11/16/08 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Costume Lady

Hi Bob--I too, am mostly a lurker, but thought you might find my info useful.  We are currently doing the MTI version.  I don't know the TYA version, but here's what I can tell you about MTI. 
Janet

Hi Janet,
TYA means Theatre for Young Audiences. MTI has Willy Wonka Jr. and also a Willy Wonka TYA version (I'm not really sure what the difference is).
Hope that helps Smile  I have to go checkout your facebook pics now =)

-------------
NYRIA

Date Posted: 11/18/08 at 1:49pm
Hi!   We took cardboard for large candies and used plastic "ice cream" colors tablecloths for wrappers (cut of course and ties with curling ribbon).  It was a wonderful effect.  For suckers we did the same using dowling for the sticks that had been painted white.  Much less work than paper machier.

-------------
MamaBear

Posted By: Idea collector
Date Posted: 12/28/08 at 8:34pm
Hello
I have just started collecting ideas to come up with a set for Willy Wonka and noticed that you you might have some photos that you would be willing to share.  Anything you have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
mailto:gjackson@uscupstate.edu -  

Posted By: jbannister
Date Posted: 12/30/08 at 6:16pm
i am the drama director at my middle school. we are performing wwjr in feb. my set design consists of a large platform, 6' high x 20' wide x 6' deep. kids can climb onto it via stairs from sl and sr, as well as a 90 degree staircase on stage. they can walk underneath it (the pit is hiding underneath as well). we have a lot of wagons, such as a 4x8 bed for act one, a large tv, and chocolate vat. i will load pics when i get them.

Posted By: Idea collector
Date Posted: 12/31/08 at 12:25pm
Thanks.  I'll send pics of ours as soon as we start building.

Posted By: tennmccoys
Date Posted: 1/03/09 at 11:30pm

I am helping with the production of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in early spring.  I would greatly appreciate anything you could send me: pictures, graphics, ideas, etc. 

We are planning on using sumo suit for Violet, but we are having problems with the chute and the good/bad nut.  We would appreciate ideas for anything else, especially those ideas that were not so costly, but worked like a dream!
We are a small middle school.

Posted By: Cparkinson
Date Posted: 1/06/09 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by flyweed

....  lime green wigs...
Thanks
Dan H
Marie W. Heider Center for the Arts
West Salem, WI 

Any of these still available?
I'd like to see pics if you have any & it's not too late.
What is you're asking price?
Thanks.

-------------
- lace front wigs , invisible, durable, lightweight, and made with 100% Remy Human Hair

Posted By: micmar
Date Posted: 1/10/09 at 10:14pm
Hi,
We are currently working on sets for Willy Wonka Jr.
Would love to have any photos of sets or other items you think would be helpful sent to me.

Thanks!!!!!

Date Posted: 1/11/09 at 8:30pm
I saw this on youtube - the fall into the chute is really good - it's easy to do too.  (I've seen it done badly this way so you'd have to make sure your actress commited.) ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXdffgRhZQY&feature=related - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXdffgRhZQY&feature=related

-------------
NYRIA

Posted By: lmckenzie01
Date Posted: 1/19/09 at 10:43am
Just as an FYI...our school just finished the MTI version of Willy Wonka Jr.  It was so cute and fun!  Your audience will love it.  If you are interested, here is something that we did to give extra "umph and theatrics" to the show.  The theater (auditorium) that we performed this at had two very large projector screens behind the stage. Because Willy Wonka is so colorful, we decided to incorporate video images (like swirly psychedelics when the oopma loompas came out, etc.)  That, mixed with the lighting made for an amazing production.  I created over 30 video effects...such as a glowing ticket each time one of the five kids discovered it in their candy bar.

-------------
Graphic Designer, Web Page Designer

Posted By: kytheatrechic
Date Posted: 1/23/09 at 1:27pm
Grand idea with the costume...I've seen those but didn't realize that could be blown up while wearing them.  Where'd you find it?

-------------
All the world's a stage, some of us just have better seats.

Posted By: vickifrank
Date Posted: 1/23/09 at 1:48pm
A lot of times people think that projection screens (like http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=2480&FID=1 - lmckenzie01  talked about for Willy Wonka) need to be rectangles hung in a plane.  If you order one made from Chameleon scrim, you can have a projection screen that is a circle, or a screen that is hung as a cylinder--essentially a huge pillar with lights and projection inside.  We recently had one for an event that was two large 40 foot pillars, that ribbon dancers came down from the top inside with light and projections around them. And it is all more inexpensive than people think.  We even rent scrims that can be used as huge projection surfaces.

-------------

http://www.studio-productions-inc.com
1-800-359-2964

The theater scrim people

Posted By: David McCall
Date Posted: 1/28/09 at 3:08pm
A thought I had was to light a white scrim from the front with a video projector and then have the actors behind carefully side lit so as not to hit the scrim. The video would create the sense of motion Perhaps a suggestion of the room going down and bubbles going up.

Posted By: julezee
Date Posted: 3/03/09 at 10:52am
Hello, I would love any photos you have of your show, it sounds great!!
we are doing the show april 2-5
Thansk!
Julie Gindy

Posted By: Amanda
Date Posted: 3/03/09 at 11:02pm
I would love to see pictures of your son's performance and sign ideas for our upcoming production of Willy Wonka.  My email is mailto:astalnaker@mpsomaha.org - astalnaker@mpsomaha.org if you're willing to let me take a look.  Thanks!
Amanda 

Posted By: 5678
Date Posted: 3/16/09 at 7:36pm
We did WIlly Wonka last year. We struggled with the fizzy lifting scene and came up with a solution that went over great!
We built 2 see saws and painted them black. We ran the see saws perpendicular to the audience. Charlie and Grampa Joe sat facing the audience on each see saw , so they were stting "backwards" on the see saw yet facing the audience.
 We opened the the curtain just enough to fit the 2 see saws side by side, and stage crew sat on the other sides of the see saw. The lights were dim, so you couldn't see them at all. We had a bubble machine going, and Charie and Grampa Joe slowly backed up while they had dialogue. Stage crew lifted the see saws when they were in place and they started the fyling song. Stage crew moved the see saw gently up and down, Chalie and grampa were able to move their arms and legs. Then, when the burping started, crew drop them them a little with each burp. The audience loved it!!!

Date Posted: 3/30/09 at 9:09pm

You can get the blow up costumes from ebay or lots of other online costume stores.

-------------
NYRIA

Date Posted: 3/31/09 at 12:08am
Hi,

I called MTI to get clarification on the Jr versus TYA versions of the show: The Jr versions are written with child actors in mind. The TYA versions are intended to be performed by adults for youth audiences.

Hope that helps!

Date Posted: 3/31/09 at 12:11am
Thanks for the great idea! We used mostly student paper mache art for the candy props but needed a few extra pieces. This rounded out our collection nicely :-)

Posted By: carijoyp
Date Posted: 5/07/09 at 8:25am
Hello,

i would love to purchase a copy of your Willy Wonka Jr. DVD. I am thinking of directing it at my school next year.

Is it possible to purchase a copy?

Thank you!
Cari

Date Posted: 5/07/09 at 9:23am
Hi Cari~
Not sure about the video but I can share photos if you send me your email address
Julie

Date Posted: 5/07/09 at 9:56am
You don't, by any chance, have a video of the show for sale, do you?

Thanks
Cari

Date Posted: 5/07/09 at 9:57am
That would be great. I thought you said something in your post about purchasing a DVD. Sorry for the confusion.

My email is ckassel@thecambridgeschool.org

Date Posted: 5/07/09 at 12:53pm
We have costumes for Willy Wonka for rent.  We have  costumes for Willy Wonka, Candy Man, Augustus Gloop, the Beauregards, and a blueberry double, and our version of the Oompa Loompas.  If interested, please email me at sedyzoo@juno.com for links to photos, pricing, and availability. 

Cheers!
Janet

-------------
The Costume Lady

Date Posted: 5/11/09 at 4:38pm
We just wrapped up our production of "Willy Wonka, Jr."  I posted some photographs of our final dress rehearsal on our school's website.   Here's the link:
http://passports.homestead.com/TheatreArts.html - http://passports.homestead.com/TheatreArts.html

Here are some of the ideas we had for special effects:

1.  For our "chocolate river" we used children!  We had 20 kids wear brown pants, brown long sleeved tee-shirts, and brown socks.  They laid face down on the stage side by side (4 across) and held onto the ankles of the person in front of them.  We had 5 groups with four kids each.  As the curtain opened, they all wiggled to look like a rumbling river.  As Augustus fell into the river, the kids on the end raised up and allowed him to crawl under, looking like the river "swallowed" him up.  The audience was amazed at our creative river and it added 20 more kids to the cast which created more ticket sales!
2.  For the pink candy boat scene we used a strobe light.  It made the scene more mysterious.  At the end, when the characters scream, our stage-hand took the boat away and Wonka moved over to the side and the parents and children were left in a huddle as the lights came up. 
3.  Violet wore a halloween sumo wrestler costume under her blue dress.  It inflates slowly so she turned it on as soon as she took the gum.  By the time she got to the end of the song, she was completely inflated as she ran around the "gum machine."  The 2nd time around, we traded her out for a large 4 foot beach ball that we made to look just like her.  The Oompa Loompas rolled her off the stage, into the audience and out the side door.
4.  Veruca popped a balloon with a saftey pin and kicked over a pile of wrapped presents while singing her song.  Then at the climax she climbed on top of a desk hidden inside our "nut machine."  As she hit the last note, one of our Oompa Loompas turned on the "bad" sign and she jumped backwards making it look as if she flew down the shute.  Mr. Salt dove in after her. 
5.  Mike TV got the biggest laughs during the show as he appeared on the small TV screen.  Basically, he jumped through a large cardboard cut out that was covered with black double-knit fabric with a split in the middle.  He hid behind scenery as a small doll appeared on another TV screen made from more cardboard.  We made a "camera" out of a large box and attached a clamp light.  We blackened the stage lights for a few seconds and cut the spot light as one of the Oompas turned the "camera" toward the audience.  It "blinded" them and diverted their attention long enough for Mike to jump through the fabric.
6.  Grandpa Joe and Charlie "floated" by climbing opposite sides of a ladder.  We painted the ladder black to match the backdrop and put a black cover over the side of the ladder that was facing the audience.  With the bubble machines covering the scene in bubbles, it looked as if they were flying when they would extend an arm and leg out while ducking and stretching.

Also...   we sold concessions during intermission.  We sold large lollipops that we ordered on-line.  Our art teacher made replicas of the lollipops out of paper and cardboard and we used them in the candy-man scene.   Basically, she found a large lollipop on-line and we printed out several copies.  She glued them onto 4" circular cardboard cut outs and hot glue lollipop sticks to them.  We wrapped them in clear plastic wrap and stuck them in styrofoam in the candy cart.   Seeing 20 actors on stage with these lollipops encouraged the audience to fly to the concession stand.  We also created "Fizzy Lifting Drinks" by buying colorful solo cups and stuffing them with assorted candies.  Each cup had colorful tissue paper and a straw.  Each night we hid a golden ticket inside one of the cups and offered a prize to the winner.  The winner was told to bring the ticket back to the audience to receive their prize at the beginning of act two.  The Oompa Loompas came out to help escort the winner to the stage.  The winner received a prize and also got to pose in a picture with the Oompa Loompas.  The audience really enjoyed this part of the show.

Again, please visit our website to see pictures of the sets, costumes, and special effects.  We are an elementary school in Dallas, Texas.  Our actors were in 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade.  We held auditions in August and performed in May.  We rehearsed two hours after school Monday-Thursday.  We worked very hard but it all paid off in the end.

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Robert Jones
http://passports.homestead.com/TheatreArts.html - http://passports.homestead.com/TheatreArts.html

-------------

Posted By: kytheatrechic
Date Posted: 5/15/09 at 9:18am
Robert - Quick question....I'm using a sumo wrestler, too, but am running into the problem of the dress not appearing inflated!  The suit alone works great, but I'm on the 2nd dress now and no luck - it deflates the suit.  What exactly did you guys do?  I'm thinking the fan is not getting enough air to blow.

-------------
All the world's a stage, some of us just have better seats.

Date Posted: 5/15/09 at 4:14pm
I think you're problem may be the weight of the fabric.  I guess we were lucky and chose light weight material the first time.  The fan in those sumo suits aren't very powerful.  I had Violet turn on the fan as soon as she took the gum from Wonka.  This made the suit inflate by the time she got to the end of the song.  We kept her sleeves and legs small by placing small pieces of velcro on the suit but we had the same problem of the fan not being powerful enough to separate the velcro strips.  Finally I just made a small skirt that held the costume together.  When it was time for her to inflate, the skirt portion was removed by another actor.

-------------

Posted By: mrsclairol
Date Posted: 6/12/09 at 5:38pm
Hi,

I am in charge of scenery for our school summer theatre production of Willy Wonka Jr.  I am interested in some of your ideas on posters and pictures of the bubble machine. 

Date Posted: 6/12/09 at 6:46pm
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=240617&id=506525715&l=d4973b9369
the pics from our show

Posted By: brookee02
Date Posted: 6/30/09 at 9:44pm
I've been doing quite a bit of research to get ideas for a future production when I ran across this forum.  I've picked up some great stuff from the previous posts, but I always looking for more.  If anyone has any photos - or even better - video they would be willing to share please drop me a note at brookee02@gmx.com. 

I'm especially interested in the blueberry scene.  That seems like a part that we could do some neat effects without really elaborate sets and props.

Thanks in advance...

Posted By: mvp1114
Date Posted: 7/26/09 at 7:34pm
Onstage -

I'd really be interested in seeing your graphics - the labels, posters, etc -  - my specialty is building & lighting and the graphics stuff i usually end up handing off to one of the kids, with varying degrees of success.

Mike
mailto:mvp1114@ameritech.net - mvp1114@ameritech.net

-------------
schlechy techy

Posted By: mvp1114
Date Posted: 7/26/09 at 7:40pm
Dan -

I may have sent this once; I don't remember.

We're looking at doing Willy Wonka this coming spring.  We would be interested in seeing your photos and very likely renting your set pieces.

Could you let me know how to email you offline to further discuss this?  Thanks!

Mike

mailto:mvp1114@ameritech.net - mvp1114@ameritech.net

-------------
schlechy techy

Posted By: gelcat
Date Posted: 7/28/09 at 10:31am
Just a quick note for people asking for copies of videos! I am frankly appalled at the requests for videos, and offering to buy videos. 

Unless the production on the video has the video rights to distribute and sell, any cash changing hands is illegal. Be sure to check your contract, you could encounter major legal issues with videos that get distributed and sold. 

I know that most people don't believe this is a big deal, but this is the same principal as musical artists taking on Napster and other music sharing sites. You don't have those rights, don't do it!

Archival and educational are normally the only video rights offered on a standard contract, but a lot of times, not even then.

-------------
www.actorsguildonline.org
Actors Guild of Parkersburg
Parkersburg, WV

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info