Forum Discription: For everything else
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2853
Printed Date: 5/10/24 at 9:07am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What to say about a bad play
Posted By: Darren
Subject: What to say about a bad play
Date Posted: 12/03/07 at 5:01pm

I saw a website once that listed some funny things that people say when they see a friend in a really bad show.  Like "Your costume fit really well" or "The show really made me think."  Does anyone know where there's a site like this or have some other good ones?

Thanks.

-------------
Darren Farrington
Theater Management and Production Consultant
http://darrenfarrington.com - www.darrenfarrington.com

Replies:
Posted By: totoks
Date Posted: 12/04/07 at 8:35am

Darren:  Since we am putting on my first (and last!) effort in writing and directing this Sunday, I will be monitoring your post with interest to see how many of your "sayings" show up after the "opening/closing".

Mayhap, "the sets looked really nice."

-------------
theatre... [t]he natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster. (from "Shakespeare In Love")

Posted By: MartyW
Date Posted: 12/04/07 at 8:46am
totoks, that one is code in my peer group....  Usually said "Hey, nice set.." meaning of course, and instantly translated when the car doors close in the parking lot to "there's two hours of my life I will never get back.."

-------------
Marty W

"Till next we trod the boards.."

Posted By: jayzehr
Date Posted: 12/04/07 at 9:31am
That's why I really hate the "reception line" after the show that happens with some theater groups. It doesn't matter what someone says, you can usually tell if they didn't like it and it's a very awkward moment. It's even worse when you're the one having to figure out something to say.

Posted By: Mike Polo
Date Posted: 12/04/07 at 10:07am

"Gosh, you guys looked like you were having fun!"

-------------
Mike Polo
Community Theater Green Room
http://www.communitytheater.org
http://www.twitter.com/CTGreenRoom">

Posted By: Topper
Date Posted: 12/04/07 at 10:49am
Groucho Marx once attended a play in which a friend of his was performing. The play was awful and during intermission Groucho sent a note backstage:

"I am out front.   Wish you were here."

-------------
"None of us really grow up. All we ever do is learn how to behave in public." -- Keith Johnstone

Date Posted: 12/04/07 at 12:48pm
The Theatrical Critic Alexander Wollcott, who the character of Whiteside in the man who came to dinner was based on, supposedly once reported "The Scenery was beautiful, but the actors kept getting in the way.."

-------------
Marty W

Posted By: Darren
Date Posted: 12/04/07 at 4:56pm
Thanks, those are great.  I hate the reception lines too...except for some kids' shows.

-------------
Darren Farrington
Theater Management and Production Consultant
http://darrenfarrington.com - www.darrenfarrington.com

Date Posted: 12/04/07 at 10:23pm
Topper:  Our play, Shenandoah, is really long enough to have an intermission - and probably should - I'm afraid everyone might leave if we had one!!!

-------------
theatre... [t]he natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster. (from "Shakespeare In Love")

Posted By: JoeMc
Date Posted: 12/05/07 at 2:48am
"Great - But those damn seats".
totoks have an interval, think about those poor souls squatting on thier bots all that time, let them get thier circulation back. Give them a smokeo & flog more  refreshments.

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
"Hear the light & see the sound!
TOI TOI CHOOKAS
{may you always play to a full house!}

Posted By: tristanrobin
Date Posted: 12/05/07 at 7:29am
Originally posted by Mike Polo

"Gosh, you guys looked like you were having fun!"

I must confess - that's my standard line - along with, "wow, you guys did a lot of work!"

Posted By: 75director
Date Posted: 12/05/07 at 12:11pm

If it's a larger cast, "Wow so great to see so many people involved with the show"

I admit I use that line on occasion when I judge high school one act contests.

Posted By: Linda S
Date Posted: 12/05/07 at 1:34pm

Along with " It looked like you were having fun!" and " You guys did a lot of work!" I say try to say something positive about the costumes or props or one part of the play that was better then others. It is difficult sometimes though.

Linda

Posted By: jayzehr
Date Posted: 12/05/07 at 7:15pm
Phil, go ahead and have an intermission if you think it needs one. In my experience it takes a lot for people to leave at intermission and I suspect you will have a very sympathetic audience.
Jay

Posted By: eveharrington
Date Posted: 12/05/07 at 7:17pm
I just wanted to say that if it's a great set, I might say so, but it doesn't necessarily mean I thought the show was bad. Same with costumes.

-------------
"If nothing else, there's applause... like waves of love pouring over the footlights."

Date Posted: 12/05/07 at 9:17pm
Yea, but if ALL you say is, Great set... it says volumes...

-------------
Marty W

Date Posted: 12/05/07 at 10:30pm
Argghhh..  I should not have even looked at this topic!!  We had our dress tonight and I kept thinking "the set looks nice..." "her costume is really nice.." 

Jay:  I'm right at the point of yes/no on intermission.  Without an intermission we're at 1 hour twenty minutes - the point where an intermission would be, so.. we'll just trudge on ...

One thing nice about being 65:  Tomorrow I may not remember that I even looked at this topic!

-------------

Date Posted: 12/06/07 at 10:13am
"I'm glad I got to see you on stage again."

"I've never been to a night of theater quite like this before."

"This certainly was a different production."

"Too bad the playwright wasn't alive to see this."

"I don't know what you guys can do next to top this."

"This is a nice little theater, isn't it?"

"I can't believe you put all this together in only [INSERT NUMBER] weeks."

"You sure had a lot to remember!"

"I really can't pick a favorite moment [scene/performer/number]."

"Be sure to let me know when you're doing something else."

-------------
"None of us really grow up. All we ever do is learn how to behave in public." -- Keith Johnstone

Posted By: Nanette
Date Posted: 12/06/07 at 10:34am
Yikes, Topper, I think I've heard all of those!

-------------
In a world of margarine, be butter!

Date Posted: 12/06/07 at 11:23am
So have I!   You didn't think I made them up, did you?

Of course, there's still my personal favorite:

"You certainly gave a brave performance!"

-------------

Posted By: whitebat
Date Posted: 1/09/08 at 10:54pm
Oh, this is your theatrical debut?

When heard from the same individual after your performance in every show, and they know who you are.

Posted By: TonyDi
Date Posted: 1/10/08 at 8:33am
I think most of my theater compatriots don't ask me anymore - because I simply cannot be coy and sidestep comment WHEN ASKED. I don't offer it to say the least.  Too many opinions anyway.  BUT I ALWAYS tell them well ahead of time - and they all seem to have come to know - that IF they ask me....I'll tell them what I think.  Again, it's a personal opinion.  I mean if the audience in general breaks out into a standing O and I don't believe it deserves it, I don't stand.  IF the audience does respond that favorably, then who am I to say otherwise?  WELL....I DO have an opinion always.  And I warn them if they ask, "well what do you think"?  I always say - "do you REALLY WANT to know? Because if you DO, then I'm going to tell you what I think and you may or may not like what I have to say".  It's a disclaimer/qualifier that they know I WILL respond to if they say yes - whether they KNOW what I'm going to say or not - or think they know what I'm going to say.  If asked, and if I don't like something that was done, I WILL say so but always offer an opinion as to what I think is a constructive fix or whatever.  I never shoot someone down because it's my opinion.  I am not harsh and mean, just honest and straight.  I feel I do a disservice if I gloss over it by using some cryptic phrase that tells them nothing.  Just me though.  Maybe that's why my theater friends - real friends - are few.  That or they just don't think they are beyond reproach.  Ouch

TonyDi

-------------
"Almost famous"

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info