Print Page | Close Window

Warm-Ups

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Producing Theater
Forum Name: Directing
Forum Discription: For questions about handling shows, actors, crew, board members, children ...or do we repeat ourselves?
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2720
Printed Date: 4/28/24 at 1:32am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Warm-Ups
Posted By: avcastner
Subject: Warm-Ups
Date Posted: 10/07/07 at 1:34pm

I'm really tired of my warm-up games.  Anyone have some unique ones they'd like to share?

Replies:
Posted By: eveharrington
Date Posted: 10/07/07 at 2:18pm
Do you do the one where you shake your hands and feet and countdown? Like the hokey pokey but without the song. Thats a great ender for warm-ups

-------------
"If nothing else, there's applause... like waves of love pouring over the footlights."

Posted By: jayzehr
Date Posted: 10/07/07 at 3:34pm
Why don't you tell us what you do now and we can add others if we have them?

Posted By: JoeMc
Date Posted: 11/03/07 at 11:15pm
There is one that most of the muso's would know?
I realise this thread is a wee bit old - But it does take a while to manualy do my automatic rewind. My rubber bands went bung some time ago & they arn't mendedyet.
I used this in 'A chorus line' pre opening to the show. By having all the 'Twirlies' [dancers gypsirs] of the cast, enter thru the FOH onto the stage - as for a 'cattle call'.

Doing this as a vioce warm up [if I can remember it correctly?]
"ONE,
one two one, 
one two three two one,
one two three four three two one,
one two thre four fivefour three two one,
one two three four five six five four three two one,
one two three four five six seven six five four three two one,
One two three four five six seven eight!
EIGHT!
eight seven eight!
eight seven six seven eight,
eight seven six five six seven eight,
eight seven six five four five six seven eight,
 eight seven six five four three four five seven eight,
eight seven six five four three two three four five six seven eight,
eight seven six five four three two one.
One two one,
ONE.
one two one."

[& repeat on & on & on up & down the scales!]

(it mus t be getting close to christmas again?)

'Twirlies' not to be confused with t'wirly's. The old age pensioners who tended to use the 'workers only' bus services in the UK, because they were cheaper or more frequent at rush hour peak periods.
When they got on the bus to tender thier fare, they would always comment to the bus conductor/driver. "Am I 'too early - Duc's?

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
"Hear the light & see the sound!
TOI TOI CHOOKAS
{may you always play to a full house!}

Date Posted: 11/04/07 at 11:17am
Originally posted by jayzehr

Why don't you tell us what you do now and we can add others if we have them?

We play a few games:

broccoli, tomato
zoom
kitty wants a corner
tongue twisters
seeing a sport
question game
bus stop
dating game
newleywed game (for plays with couples)
assassin (sp?)
relay races
playground games like duck-duck-goose and red-light/green-light
Simon Says

-------------

Posted By: drose
Date Posted: 11/04/07 at 12:16pm
Ok.  I don't know what some of these are.  Broccoli, tomato?  Zoom?  Kitty wants a corner?  Bus stop?  Assassin?  Maybe I just don't recognise the names, but use similar warm-ups?  My assistant director likes to run a warm-up called Ping pong.  We split the cast in half and then we sing a song:  "I've got a head like a ping pong ball I've got a head like a ping pong ball, I've got a head like a ping pong ball, like a ping - like a ping pong ball!  Like a ping, like a ping, like a ping pong, ping pong, ping pong, ping pong, ping pong ball.Like a ping, like a ping, like a ping pong, ping pong, ping pong, ping pong ball.  Ping, ping ping, ping ping ping ping ping ping PONG!".. !/2 the cast jumps on ping and 1/2 the cast jumps on pong.  It's been a good warm up for us when when we have a show with alot of singing in the midst of a vigorous dance routine (Chicago, and the Cinderella waltz)  And it's a bit goofy, so people get to act silly.  Yes, some hate it, but it also helps show me where people's heads are at before the show. 

Date Posted: 11/04/07 at 10:24pm
I must admit I have not heard of most of them?
There again it is eons since I was in the playground.
I remember 'Ping Pong' from my Campfire days, except they would put more sound effects prior to the Pongs & the last one they all jump up, then  come down holding thier noses with one hand & make an action of pulling the Dunny chain with the other.
There is also action songs like the 'Baby Elephant Walk', 'Onee Wonee wakee Wah Wah' or 'Heads shoulders knees & toes'.
But what is the 'Green light red light' thingy, now  that seems interesting Avcaster!

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Posted By: TonyDi
Date Posted: 11/06/07 at 9:03am
Okay since I'm really good at pissing people off fairly readily, I thought I'd throw in my two cents here.  BUT before I do please understand that I do not have any problem with people who use these games to prepare.  However, I simply WILL NOT, HAVE NOT AND WILL NEVER play these games when doing a show. I find it distracting, distasteful, silly, innocuous, unnecessary, juvenile (in MY OPINION), and a waste of my time to engage myself in what I feel is foolishness that produces little to no results (FOR ME). Oh, yes, I have been forced to do them, I have been threatened with dismissal. But I have to agree with a well known playright who has gone on record as saying that he never has his casts do these kinds of things feeling that they are usually what is the result of the kinds of waste-of-time things that get taught in academia, and that they are not the mark of professional actors. EVERY individual has their own methods of preparation before a show. I do, YOU do, we all do in some fashion.  And please don't tell me it builds rapport with other cast members either.  THAT is what rehearsals do for me. MY preparation is an hour or more in front of the mirror, thinking through loosely my part in the production, while either applying makeup or simply being introspective about my involvement.  I DO NOT need these exercises to properly speak my lines on stage, I do NOT get tripped up and walk on my tongue, nor do I need to rely on vocal or physical exercises to be prepped for what I have been hired to do. MAINLY because a lot of my preparation is done in rehearsal, working out what I'm supposed to know, ingraining that into my head and BEING PREPARED well ahead of time such that these kinds of things are not necessary for me.  I pretty much refuse to do them - not being harsh or a non-team player, but I explain that my preparation is personal and I can guarantee that my ethic will supply the production with the best I can possibly add to it for success.

Having said all that, I KNOW many people swear by these kinds of things. I simply do NOT need them because I will have already taken it upon myself to make my own brand of preparations that will not force me to rely upon these kinds of games, to do my job in as professional a fashion as the next person.  And if you think about it, I'm sorry, I am NOT INTO PLAYING GAMES. The mere mention of that word makes me want to run the other direction.  I am NOT a game player.  I'm in it do to the best, most professional job of which I'm capable how ever I get it done.  And playing a bunch of GAMES is simply NOT my view of how to accomplish that. 6 weeks of preparation that builds upon itself exponentially, is how I work.  And if directors I'm working with cannot accept that, then I don't need to be involved. Yet, I know many people do them and if that's what it takes for them, then so be it.  Even when I direct, I simply tell the cast that it is up to them to prepare as they see fit to do the utmost to provide the production with THEIR PROFESSIONAL BEST even in non-professional theater settings.  And if they cannot commit to that much, then I don't want them in my cast.  I've usually always been VERY lucky to have good casts and therefore have not had to resort to "game playing" to accomplish quality production result.

PLEASE don't shoot me for this.  I merely state how I work to do what I'm hired to do without the need for playing useless (in my opinion again) games that accomplish nothing from what MY experience has shown me.  It's just a carry-over from academia - who I think don't train actors properly and never will. Academia simply ain't the place to get it.  REAL LIFE and real situations are the only way over time, to learn what works and what doesn't.  HISTORY cannot teach you very much doing theater. ALL it CAN do is teach you that there are as many ways to accomplish (or fail at) things as there are people doing it.  But again, that's my opinion.  If you like playing those games then by all means nothing I say will matter.  I simply will not engage my time and process in doing them because they simply accomplish NOTHING for me that I have not already addressed and given my own personal prep time to. And this is just my opinion after all.

If you feel the need to fire away - by all means you have your opinion as well and are as entitled to it as I feel I am entitled to mine.  That's all this is.

THANKS

TonyDi

-------------
"Almost famous"

Posted By: theactordavid
Date Posted: 11/06/07 at 9:31am
So, Tony - - - I'm guessing we can sign you up for "assassin" then?  (Sorry, had to go for it, and lighten just a little)

I'll risk climbing in the noose with you and say "right on."  There a lot of things I've never understood (such as games, and most especially "the mirror") and have also been fortunate not to have to deal with except when I was in academia.  As I gather, these activities are supposed to make you feel part of a group, or get you emotionally in touch, or help let go of the outside world, or....... whatever.

My personal, age-old analogy is the basketball player who practices foul shots. He stands at the foul line and shoots (or tries to) the same shot over and over and over, so that every time he gets fouled, the ball goes in.  He could also turn around, and with eyes closed, and throw the ball over his head.  But in a game, he will never do that.  So why practice it that way? As you rehearse it, so shall ye perform it.

The actor's job - his or her responsibility - is to appear on stage, and say his/her lines and move his/her body in a manner consistent with the playwright's intended message.  That's what s/he needs to practice, and it takes a cared-for voice and body to do that.  And, beyond what is involved in taking care of it in off-hours, that is what will come from rehearsal, not recess.

You will get more from reading, observing people, eavesdropping on conversations, getting involved in plays, and getting involved in life, than standing in a circle singing the broccoli song.

In my opinion. :)

-------------
There are no small roles, only roles with a low line-load and minimal stage time.

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com

Date Posted: 11/06/07 at 9:59am
Well, TonyDi, I agree with a lot of what you say, there are a lot of games that seem pointless to me as well. However, I have come to the conclusion that warm ups are beneficial. Relaxation is very important to the actor and one of the best ways to achieve that is by physical activity, especially stretching. There is also the benefit of the entire cast being together, doing the same thing at one time. This helps focus the group and increases concentration.

Posted By: Bosco
Date Posted: 11/06/07 at 6:23pm
Ditto with jayzher. I think we are discussing two separate things though.  Preparation vs. Warming Up/Relaxing/Getting Out Of Your Head. 

As far as warm ups go my background is strongly rooted in long form improvisation and the group mind, relaxation and trust is critical for me to prepare my cast.  I certainly don't insist on it but connecting with the people you are doing your scenes with and "getting out of your head" seems to work.  Our cast is coming directly from work and or children/family and I think it helps them to shed the day away and then focus on preparation.  I totally respect any way that works for warming up.
So, a couple suggestions that work for me:

Eights - It is mentioned at the top by eveharrington.  You form a circle.  Everyone counts outloud and starting with the left hand counts to 8 by shaking that hand and arm, then you move to the right arm, then the left leg, then right leg.  You repeat the same pattern again starting with the left arm but count to 7.  Essentially this is an energy exercises that helps to change the focus.  I also teach that when you do it you make eye contact with one another and try to smile. 

Another one which I call Pass the Face is a variation of a bunch of warm ups.  It focuses concentration and also relaxes .  Staying in the circle.  One person (person A) turns to the right (person B) and makes a specific movement and sound, then person B turns to C and copies what that had seen passed to them as closely as possible no one should try to change it. It will naturally.  I then add a couple other different moves so that you have to be alert and focus.  So there may be 3 different moves and sounds traveling around the circle.

Finally, I have them stay in the circle and move closely together with their arms down but shoulders touching.  I have seen this work for as many as 10 people so if you have more you should break it up into two or more groups.

So now they have a close, shoulder to shoulder circle.  With eyes closed I have them do a couple deep belly breathes and then when they are ready they will count to 20 one person at a time.  If at anytime more than one person counts at the same time they start over.  This simple exercise is very effective in connecting as a group.  When they do get to 20 they seem relaxed and confident.  If they are really struggling with it I have them take a few more breathes and try again.  I have never seen a group fail. 

All 3 warm ups do not last longer then 15 minutes.

When I perform improv or other shows my fellow performers work on their own to continue their preparation and yes they do all vary but for those few moments they are connected and feel they can trust each other no matter what happens. 

Date Posted: 11/07/07 at 3:26am
G'donya Tony!
I assumed when jazher posted about 'games' it was for a kids theatre group?
I think my mob & me have moved on from the playpen.
The only times these days I'd try & ensure cast warm ups take place. Is with musicals with twirlies & worblers in it.
Especialy with a load of younger & new cast member aged around 40. Who tend to scive off or have no idea why it is important to do.
But with those that have knocked around a bit, I leave it under thier hats.
Also with large casts it gives the SM the chance to do a quick head count to see who is not there or didn't bother to sign in, whatever?
There is one thing I do which is purely voluntary is, I place my right hand on my left heart & pat tree times, on each 'Toi Toi Toi' & say a louder 'chookas'.
If any one wants to jion in I add the title of the show, before saying chookas [to all]. Then before each show someone adds a show specific word before the title. But As I say it is primarly for the newer younger ones.

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 11/07/07 at 8:33am
Truly folks I hope I didn't come off as anything but PERSONAL and OPINIONATED for MY OWN SELF.  As I said, I have NO issues with the way other people prepare. I simply do not want to be coerced, forced or threatened in any way to get ME to do those exercises.  Even physical exercise I can handle on my own.  I don't need "the group" thing at all.  If I've done MY job, if they've done THEIR job and the director, SM or anyone else connected to the production do their respective jobs then all should work well.  The physical exercise is dependent upon what the role calls for and how much physicality is involved.  If it's minimal - and at my age now I'm having to do roles with FAR FAR less physicality than when I was younger and more agile - but if it's minimal then there is little to no need to do a bunch of physical exercises.  It's just not necessary if you walk on stage, do your lines and walk off stage. Where's the need?  I do enough to NOT be lock-kneed or stiff-backed, UNLESS the role calls for that. I do enough to remain flexible and loose as necessary.  And as for the lines, I do not need to do a bunch of tongue twisters to be able to deliver what I'm required to say. Now if the line IS a tongue twister or is as difficult, then I may vocalize those lines.  But I don't need to do OTHER than that to get my line correct in that regard.  Seriously, this kind of activity is precipitated, promoted and continues to be pandered to by academia who are dealing usually with a lot of impressionable younger people who 1) don't know any better and 2) HAVE to be given something upon which they are made to THINK they have to rely in order to do their jobs.

I'll tell you who said it - DAVID MAMET - one of acting's intense and best playrights.  In his book - and I recommend it to ANYONE - True and False: Heresy and Common Sense for the Actor - he decries the academic approach and tells actors to avoid it like the plague.  Of course, this is coming from a rather intense playright who as an author thinks that you should walk on stage as directed, say your lines without personal interpretation (he's the writer after all) and then get off the stage - leaving the audience to take what it will from the words just spoken (HIS words by the way) and make up their own minds as to intent, character, and the gamut of emotions or meanings of he who penned the words.  He disavows any actor "interpreting" the author's intent...stating that the WORDS do that by virture of having been written.  In some ways, he's VERY adamant about that.  And I don't agree totally with everything he says.  But he DOES expound that "IN THE REAL WORLD" of theater, for the most part, THAT kind of game playing stuff is more often than not, NOT done and is highly unprofessional, designed only to make an actor "appear" to others to be something they are not and have people "look at them" to make them think their process is so much more about "a method" than the reality of the situation.

SO no, I don't and will NOT do those exercises.  I was always taught to do my job, be prepared without having to rely on the kinds of things that the untrained or inexperienced think is necessary to be better than what they might otherwise be if they had used the time in rehearsal and in private just to prepare themselves better than any (what I call) voodoo exercises and mantra's will provide. It simply just is NOT necessary if you've done your job. Lawrence Olivier told Dustin Hoffman, during the process of MARATHON MAN filming - wherein Dustin literally beat himself up using "the method" denying himself sleep, proper physical care and more to FEEL the role or FEEL what it feels like to be totally beaten down physically - and Larry kindly turned to him and said something like "why don't you try acting my dear boy"?!?  But again, NOT knocking "the method" but like Stanislavski or Bolislavski, I've developed what WORKS FOR ME to get the job done as best as I POSSIBLY CAN under any given conditions. Have I been successful?  Not always.  But my percentage has been higher than if I had been forced to do needless things that contribute nothing to the performance of my required duties as an actor.

As for building rapport with fellow actors, well I'm one of the friendliest, most open minded, open-hearted people I know and I befriend everyone IN THE PROCESS - including and very importantly the TECH CREWs - love those people.  I don't NEED to "come together" just prior to performance to pat anyone's butt, to wish them well (I do that by virture of support, constant encouragement for what THEY are doing and the collective effort we're all making throughout the process) and I don't need that from anyone else. I know what I've done or have not done and I'm responsible for MYSELF and my role in the process such that if I have done it right, it will work.  If I have not, I have NO-ONE to blame but myself.  Perhaps the CRITICS haven't always liked what I've done, but I've ALWAYS done my job in this regard.

So whatever it takes is what I say. JUST DO NOT IMPOSE it upon me to have to do it or else.  I've gotten that too. I've been called the DIVA, the BITCH, the grouch and worse.  But I've always done my job to the best of my limited abilities - ALL without having to do the voodoo that so many feel compelled to have to do.  BUT I DO respect anyone's process. It's just not mine at all.

I apologize if I offended anyone.  NOT my intent.  It's just a waste of time in MY PERSONAL opinion. I inform ANY director who might want to cast me, up front - that I DO NOT engage in those kinds of activities and that I WILL be prepared, I will do my job to the utmost as I can, and I will guarantee MY involvement to be what he or she might want with respect to the show and the job at hand. Beyond that, the rest to me is irrelevant, unnecessary and inocuous.

TonyDi

-------------
"Almost famous"

Date Posted: 11/07/07 at 9:49am
I've posted a http://communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2793&PN=1 - new thread in the Acting forum that takes this discussion forward (I hope) and we can let this one get back on topic.

But, Tony,  while you're here, I'll just mention that Mamet does not actually "disavow[s] any actor interpreting the author's intent".  I've made a comment in that regard in my new post, which explains what I mean.

And to you, and all other readers who've made it this far, I hope we can keep an open discussion going, where no one is right or wrong, just brings their own perspective. This is a great topic.  Thanks.

-------------
There are no small roles, only roles with a low line-load and minimal stage time.

Date Posted: 11/07/07 at 11:38am
Bewdy Toni, very good pionts & also David.
This is where I evaporate & thank gawd I'm just a little black duck, paddling about on the pond. As I don't want or need to emote & prance about on the green sward.
I can't see how you got anyones daks in a twist Toni.Thumbs%20Up

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Posted By: Bosco
Date Posted: 11/07/07 at 11:47am
Wow, I really appreciate the diversity in how people approach community theater.  This gives me some good insight and please know that I am in no way offended on my part.  Cheers!

Date Posted: 11/07/07 at 11:22pm

TonyDi--no problems.  I know plenty of people who don't use warm-ups.  I find in my situation (jr. and sr. high school teacher) that these types of things get the students focused and working as a team--breaking through the usual cliques and the natural barriers of grade levels. 

FYI--by the time I get to run throughs we run scales and tongue twisters and then stretch.  The bonding is done and they know how to focus by then.

For those of you wondering about the games I listed before . . .

Broccoli, Tomato--it's a game where they all stand on stage and someone shouts an item.  A motion is associated with the item.  The last person to accomplish the motion is called out and has to step offstage, saying "Thank you, ______" to whoever is calling.  Tomato--hunch over with arms flexed and pointed down in a circle.  Broccoli--stand tall, legs together, hands in fists raised over your head like a broccoli stalk.  There's about 30 of these different things.  My jr. high likes this one better than my sr. high.

Zoom--group stands in circle.  You count in on a four count while snapping fingers (everyone does this).  The person who was designated, on the beat of the snap, looks another player directly in the eye and says "Zoom."  That person on the next beat does the same, but has to choose a different person.  There are variations with "Zip," (to the left or right but not across), "Zap," (turn to the left and the person you actually zapped was the person to your right) and "McFigliani" (skip a person).

Assasin--sit in a circle where everyone can see everyone else.  Have them close their eyes.  Have someone not playing the game walk around a choose an assassin by tapping the head.  When done, they open their eyes.  The goal is for the assassin to wink at someone--that person will quietly "die" by lying backwards on the floor--but not immediately.  When someone thinks they know who it is, they raise their hand and go over and whisper to the person who chose the assassin.  (Not my favorite, but the kids like it).

Kitty Wants a Corner--a person who is "it" stands in the middle of the rest of the group who are standing in a circle around him.  He walks to each person in turn, looks him in the eye, and says "Kitty Want a Corner?"  While this is going on, others are trying to switch places without communicating with voice or hands--using eye contact only.  There are sometimes collisions, but it's fun.  The goal is for the person who is it to get to a spot of someone who is changing places before the other person does.

Question Game--give them a scene and have them ask only questions with no repetitions.

Bus Stop--each actor creates a character (I usually limit it to teachers or classic Disney characters) and comes on stage to wait at the bus stop.  They have to interact with each other, but they may talk only in gibberish.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/08/07 at 9:25am
JoeMc - ?????  Big%20smile

av - Somewhere I read (and I paraphrase) that anything and everything that happens in rehearsal should serve the production.  Now, one might read that and think this eliminates games, improv, or any activity not found on the stage between curtain up or down. 

However, I agree that any activity that helps clear away obstacles to the best performance, be it breaking down barriers of culture or clique, getting the shy one to come forth or the braggart to back off, if it helps bring the best performance out, it can't be all bad.

I would say that these sorts of things should be minimized as much as necessary, with the greater focus on the play.  As you noted in your comments about "Assassins" (not your favorite but the kids like it), it could easily become the reason why kids get involved - to play "cool" games.

Much like vocal and body warmups, as needed before a show as an athlete will stretch before a competition, using them as preparation for the main event is their purpose.

And I think that these all work best at the jr and sr school, but once in CT they take their leave.

I do wish you great luck and keep at it, bringing the joys of live theater to the students of today, the Tony award winners of tomorrow.  Take a bow!

-------------

Posted By: Kibitzer
Date Posted: 11/10/07 at 10:24am

Citing the legendary story – which may be verging on theatrical mythology, someone should ask Dustin Hoffman to confirm or deny it – of Olivier and Hoffman’s exchange during “Marathon Man” helps to put this discussion in some perspective.  There are, indeed, many valid ways to get from point A to point B.  If, as an actor, I could reach the heights of either of these great actors, I could probably speak a little more authoritatively on the subject.  Lacking that much talent, I can only use them or others of similar achievement as role models.  As such, they tell me that either approach can and does work.  If that’s the case, I think it is a bit selfish to rail against one methodology verses another.  It is one thing for Sir Larry to bust Mr. Hoffman’s chops and quite another to have any of us at the community theatre level to join in.  In Tony’s defense, on the other hand, this little bit of mythology tells us that at least in that film, there was room for actors to prepare in the way that was most suitable to them. 

But I continue to be uncomfortable with using professional models in an amateur, community theatre context.  Tony referred to “doing his job” and doing so in a most "professional" manner.  This suggests to me that Tony is not functioning in a true community theatre setting, but rather a professional setting.  If that is the case, I have to shrug my shoulders and declare apples and oranges.  I think there is nothing as dangerous to community theatre as trying to incorporate a professional orientation.  The very essence of community theatre means that the talent levels of any cast – and crew for that matter – will and should vary from the greenest novice to the most proficient and experienced artist available.  Given such diversity of talent, using developmental techniques as a director is valid and, I venture to say, required.  I recall a rather stereotypical community theatre actor saying to me once, “I’ve never had a(n) (acting) lesson in my life.”  I didn’t say it, but the first response to come to my mind was, “Yes, and it shows.”  Even at a professional level, artistic development must always be on an actor’s agenda. 

But let’s move on to the issue at hand:  warm-ups.  No matter what level you are – educational, community, or professional – warming up in some form or fashion is critical.  Dancers do it.  Singers do it.  Musicians do it.  As performing artists, why do actors think they are the exception?  And we not only have to warm-up our physical tools (body and voice), but we also have to warm up our mental processes, both emotional and intellectual.  Especially in community theatre, which is a passion and not a livelihood, warm-ups are a critical transition from all the distractions of real life to the focus on fun elements of theatrical life.  How that is done is not up to us as actors; it is one of the roles of the director to decide how s/he will shape the show and run rehearsals.  When I was acting, because warm-ups were so rare in community theatre, I would come at least a half hour early to rehearsals in order to warm-up.  (If that puts me in the Hoffman camp, I can live with that!) 

I think there are two problems.  There are few directors in community theatre that know how to properly use warm-ups and other techniques for the benefit of the show, and there are few actors who know how to properly use warm-ups and other techniques for the benefit of their own artistic development.  I’m terrible at it, but I enjoy playing golf.  When I arrive at the golf course, I usually go to the driving range to warm up with a bucket of balls.  There are times, however, that I’m running late, so I arrive, swing the club a few times, and immediately begin to play.  The truth is, either way, I play equally poorly.  I happened to mention this to the club pro who suggested that I be more intentional in my warm-ups – don’t just try to whack at the ball, but to try to hit it a certain way and try to hit it at a certain target.  I think this is advice that is equally applicable to warm ups in community theatre.  Directors need to know and understand exactly what they want to accomplish by using any given warm-up and actors need to focus on that objective – or some other objective of their own – within the context of the exercise.  My suggestion to avcastner’s original question, then, is that you start with what you want to accomplish and then think of things to do that might work toward that goal.  There are many, many resources, but more and more, for the workshops I run, I tend to make up a lot of my own exercises that are tailored to the needs or desires of the group.

-------------
"Security is a kind of death." - Tennessee Williams

Date Posted: 11/10/07 at 2:34pm
One point you touch on is that there are different people with different approaches involved in any given production or theater group. What is the appropriate "professional" response if you wind up in a situation where the director and/or company want to do group warm ups and you don't?

Date Posted: 11/10/07 at 3:52pm
jayzehr - key in your question is the phrase "appropriate professional response." And we could even drop "professional" to avoid semantic complications vis-a-vis amateur vs professional, equity vs community theater.

I'll go on record as saying that if you audition for, and get cast in, a production, you implicitly (at the very least) agree to the "rules", as it were, of the house, director and producer.  As an actor, you are effectively an employee.  However this particularly theater operates, that's what you do, without complaint (which could subvert the "community" part).  After the last bow, you gather your stuff and run into the night, never to return again.

So it might make sense to ask not only what is the rehearsal schedule, but what is expected of each and all in their contribution, above and beyond line memorization, hitting your mark, and making your exit.   

-------------

Posted By: Kibitzer
Date Posted: 11/11/07 at 10:40am
Right on, actor david!  On a more personal note, this was one of the most difficult things I had to overcome in my early years of acting - second guessing the director and generally criticizing the director's process.  It's something that perhaps many of us have to overcome.  For many actors, no matter how much they liked the show, they would not audition and work with certain directors because they did not like their process.  I think this is a very valid set of considerations for actors to make. 

Instead of "professional" response, perhaps the more appropriate descriptor would be "mature" response.  Rather than bitching, moaning, and casting a disruptive attitude over the rest of the cast because you don't like the process, suck it up and act like a mature adult.  If what the director is asking the cast to do is so disruptive to your personal process that it is a detriment to your creative abilities, then either have a private discussion with the director about how to deal with that, or, very early on - like the very first rehearsal when such a process is presented - quit the show.  Now that's extreme, but appropriate only if you were not warned before accepting the role.  Better to leave the show early than be one of those negative influences on the rehearsal process.  But the best situation is what David is suggesting - make such biases clear with the director before the casting process. 

-------------
"Security is a kind of death." - Tennessee Williams

Posted By: B-M-D
Date Posted: 11/14/07 at 2:50pm
Coming late to the table but I'd have to agree with Tony Di on this topic (though somewhat long winded).   I don't really care how you as an individual prepare just don't get me involved with all the touchy feely navel gazing exercises.  I'll take care of myself thank you.   And I never, ever participate in any of it even when the director insists that I do.   What was all that rehearsal for?  And yes I'm a pretty darn good actor and very low maintainence as many of my castmates will agree.

And while we're at I've never had "pick-up" rehearsal between weekends that was ever worth a darn either.   If you're that rusty after 3 or 4 days away from the show then something is very, very wrong.

-------------
BD

"Dying is easy, comedy is hard."

Date Posted: 11/15/07 at 8:12am
Originally posted by B-M-D

Coming late to the table but I'd have to agree with Tony Di on this topic (though somewhat long winded).   I don't really care how you as an individual prepare just don't get me involved with all the touchy feely navel gazing exercises.  I'll take care of myself thank you.   And I never, ever participate in any of it even when the director insists that I do.   What was all that rehearsal for?  And yes I'm a pretty darn good actor and very low maintainence as many of my castmates will agree.

And while we're at I've never had "pick-up" rehearsal between weekends that was ever worth a darn either.   If you're that rusty after 3 or 4 days away from the show then something is very, very wrong.

What?  ME?  Long winded?  Where'd you get that idea!?LOL  At any rate, I hope I did not and do not come across as non-supportive of the show, the director, the cast, the process or anything like that.  I am as you mention, extremely low maintenance as well.  Difference is, I've been at this nearly 50 years. I am NOT the greatest ever and don't make any claim remotely close to that. I simply don't need that "touchy feely" stuff either.  To me it's counter-productive and usually is only done (IN MY EXPERIENCES) by directors who learned it in school and who don't have better ways of preparing the actors or the show.  Now I know that's not the case for everyone - just many of those with whom I've worked (sadly). BUT I ALWAYS do my job.  And someone mentioned the issue of not going along with things when you were cast and that's the way things are run with the show and everyone should simply be in compliance regardless.  Well believe me, I let ANY director know up front that if I am being considered I DO NOT engage in those kinds of prep games.  But I CAN guarantee I'll be prepared - and it's something I DO ON MY OWN, physical, vocal, mental or otherwise.  I don't dive on stage doing back-flips unless I've warmed up.  (Point is I never could do that so not to worry).  As for vocal warm ups, I've been a singer for 44+ years, I've taught  voice and I know what it takes for ME to prep in that regard.  And as long as I've done my homework, I have NEVER had any trouble delivering lines.   Simply put, I prepare long in advance and I just don't need that time-wasting game playing routine (FOR ME again).  And as I said, I don't care if anyone else does it. Fine with me. Whatever it takes.  just don't FORCE ME to do it.

And I TRULY AM low, low maintenance as an actor so please don't misunderstand that I come off as the arrogant, ego-driven type.  I'm all about doing my job to the best of my ability using whatever I have learned to prepare the best way for ME. And I know there are a lot of people who have had less opportunity or experience perhaps, that MIGHT THINK they (need?) that.  But that too is where I disagree. I don't think ANYONE NEEDS it - I just think they NEED to be taught to do their jobs properly (if they don't know)...something I've seen lacking both in amateur and professional theater.  So one is not excluded from the other.  Just my opinions and YES, LONG AGAIN!! SORRY.

TonyDi

PS
I must agree about those waste-of-time pick-up rehearsals. But I blame that on the director (and everyone who doesn't WANT to be there) that the speed-throughs or whatever are just there and precipitated by history of actors NOT doing their jobs and staying "in the book" while off and doing nothing for days at a time. It's all about preparation as far as I'm concerned.

Oh yeah, one more thing....whomever said that doing as "professional a job as possible" even in COMMUNITY THEATER ( and yes I've been on both sides of this issue) as....

I think there is nothing as dangerous to community theatre as trying to incorporate a professional orientation

that makes it not worth the effort....then thank you but I never want to be in one of your shows.  I think ANYONE - professional group or not - can benefit and exhibit that kind of demeanor when involved in a production no matter what it is.  It can only net you better and better results than to relegate everyone to simple amateur status by virture of a word that you use to define what they do.  At best it demeans that they may have those abilities or can make those kinds of personal committments to that level of quality.

I approach EVERYTHING I do in theater as if it WERE a professional gig because I want it to be the best I can make it be.  And as with many things, you want success, you look at successful people and emulate what they do to the best of your ability.  But to say, we're amateurs (even if we are) in community theater is putting limits on talents that some people may not even know they have or abilities far beyond mere amateur status. My opinion.  It's just the way I do it. I could expound but I'm FAR too long on this already. Enough from me.

-------------
"Almost famous"

Date Posted: 11/15/07 at 9:32am
Originally posted by TonyDi

And someone mentioned the issue of not going along with things when you were cast and that's the way things are run with the show and everyone should simply be in compliance regardless.  Well believe me, I let ANY director know up front that if I am being considered I DO NOT engage in those kinds of prep games. 

Tony, that was me in a post above.  For the record, I've never been in a CT show where touchy-feely took place, at least not as part of the rehearsal/warmup/preshow session.  And I think it's fair enough as the actor to have your own set of "rules" as long as you're up front at audition/casting about them.  I do have my own warmup routine that does not infringe on anyone else, and I am always ready to deliver 100%, so maybe I count myself lucky.

That said, I would still put it under the realm of showing up when the director says, not when you want, or being off-book when you're supposed to, and those sorts of things.  You are an "employee" of the theatre, and work for the director and producer, so to speak.  And like any job, if you don't like your job description, you are quite free to find employment elsewhere. So chatting up the director at day one and getting such things clear is the professional/mature/proper/whatever way to approach it.

Unfortunately, my experience in CT has been that there are a number of rules of etiquette that sadly need review every show, if not every rehearsal, and I have worked at compiling a list of them (adding as needed) and presenting them at auditions with the rehearsal schedule. Now, I suppose one thing I ought to add in there is that we will NOT be doing touchy-feely at any time inside the rehearsal hall (nor smoking or drinking) so you'll need to take care of that on the ride in. Confused

As for pickups, yeah it seems to be the "norm" and it's probably because "everyone else does it".  Not ever sure why, though. After 2-3 months of rehearsal, and a couple shows, if I forgot my lines or blocking in a couple days, I'd also probably be found wandering the streets in dirty clothes with a stubble beard mumbling to myself.  Now, that I could use some help with.

-------------

Posted By: chelserin
Date Posted: 12/14/08 at 11:53pm
Being a month away from directing my first show (after many years of acting) this thread has been very interesting to follow as I plan my rehearsal process. I would like to have something that brings the cast together before shows/rehearsals. In a previous show one of the cast members came up with a question of the night for each 'character' to answer. It was a fun way to get people into their characters and have to think about them outside of the lines on the page.
I would also like something to bring the cast together before a show to get focus and energy. I've often seen people who are ready in costume/makeup sitting around the greenroom waiting for the show to start and it seems like the energy gets drained. We don't have to play a "game" but do some kind of movement to keep the good energy going.
My other thought (last one I promise) is that being community theatre there is usually someone in the cast who is new to theatre. So while I may not need something to get me focused for a show, it really is about the cast as a whole and doing what's best for everyone to do the best show possible.
Thanks for the discussion

Posted By: whitebat
Date Posted: 2/24/09 at 12:36am
The "warm-up" type activity I liked the best was simply the cast of the show holding hands in a circle and singing (not songs from the show).  It served as a vocal warm-up, and helped people in the cast who were strangers get more comfortable working together.  Other shows I've been involved in had no warm-ups, or only vocal warm-ups for only those who were singing in the show.  I don't think anyone should be forced to participate in this sort of stuff.  We did a directed "exercise" in HS, working on projection, where one was supposed to throw one's name to the back of the room.  I refused to participate, alas, less than professionally.  I have excellent, not to say excessive projection. 

As a director, I think I would avoid the sillier exercises.  Something like singing or chanting as a group does seem to build rapport, and some may not need it, but their participation might help newer actors who feel intimidated by them.  The targeted exercises might be more appropriate if the SM or AD or whoever did them with a group of actors who need to work on that particular skill (projection, enunciation, walking naturally onstage, whatever).

Posted By: janetk
Date Posted: 2/24/09 at 9:06am
I agree with Tony.  I have been doing theatre for over 30 years and I have never played any of these games.  I have never even heard of them.  In musicals we vocally warm up...but it is up to each individual to get into their character.  We try to cast the best individuals and it seems we have been very lucky since we never tried any of these games.Tongue

Posted By: pdavis69
Date Posted: 2/24/09 at 12:38pm
Here's an interesting way to get people to vocal warm-ups.  We are currently in production for Urinetown.  The second night of the show, the Musical Director changed curtain call during the vocal warm ups, leaving those of us who had skipped the warm up session absolutely clueless as to what the hell was going on after we took our bows.  All of the sudden people were singing a song many of us had never sang.  Those lights could not go out soon enough.  I still won't attend warm ups but at least now I ask what went on.

-------------
Patrick L. Davis
Fort Findlay Playhouse

Date Posted: 2/24/09 at 3:39pm
I know I may have had enough I've already said on this subject, so I'll try to keep this short (yeah, right).  BUT one of the things I've noticed also is that many times doing musical theater we have a lot of people who are good singers - just not formally trained. And they tend to often "blow it all out" in a warm-up session (for whatever reason). As well SOME music directors WHO ARE NOT VOCAL DIRECTORS or someone qualified to lead singers properly, often demand and force singers to do things they might do better NOT to do even in a minor warm-up session just prior to a show.  I have found in my experience that less is more - just lightly warming up keeping the better singing habits in mind so as to just warm the voice - not heat it up to concert level unless you have the first big number in the show (rarely a solo that starts a show but you never know). And too many times it's about "being heard" when warming up. That's where both singers and music/vocal directors often drop the ball - because they don't control the best qualities of an ensemble or a soloist with an ensemble. SO many things to keep up with. I mean learn lines, blocking, lyrics, melodies, parts AND be able to sing properly using good vocal techniques??  I mean come on - how much are you paying me??  HAHA!! KIDDING!! But for accomplished singers who know what they're doing it's not always a problem - just for those who need vocal nurturing. 
Patrick, as for the change in curtain call songs to punish actors who do not like to warm up in a group (always because it becomes a stinking shouting match) well to me that's bad form too on the director's part - or whomever makes THAT call. NOT good form no matter what.

Also meant to mention that with building actor/group rapport since I don't like to do all the superficial foolish exercises - and as a director I always liked to do this.....FEED YOUR CAST.  That is take an evening and either have someone cook (or do it yourself if you can) and feed them or order in (assuming you can budget it or afford it and not break the bank).  EATING A MEAL TOGETHER really gives that impression of family time and goes a long way for bonding.  Although be aware some people DO eat differently than you do for instance!! HAHA!! But it's kind of a revelation to a degree when you do that.  I always enjoyed it when it happened.  Sitting down and breaking bread together will certainly open your eyes to a person in many ways.

Okay that's enough now.

TonyDi
Geek

-------------
"Almost famous"

Posted By: chelserin
Date Posted: 2/24/09 at 7:52pm

This issue obviously brings out strong feelings on both sides. When it comes down to it I feel you have to do what is best for the cast as a whole. We just finished our first weekend and I (as the director) did not plan to have a pick-up rehearsal/line through. However, when several cast members aksed me personally is we could have one I said yes. If it helps those few it's totally worth it to me. And let me also say that we have a 5 week rehearsal schedule, not 2-3 months. I have had other cast members say that they really don't get anything out of pick-up's, but they are willing to be a team player for the good of the show. That's what being in community theatre is all about.

I know every theatre is different, but no matter where you come from and are used to when you come into a new theatre you are now part of that team and if they do something that you think is silly and beneath you, suck it up and be that team player. And no matter how low maintenence you are on stage/back stage, if someone in my cast refused to come to warmups, or participate even in the slightest way I call that high maintenance. You're telling the rest of the people there that you are above them. My two cents.

-------------
To be in the world, and of the world, and never to stand aside and watch.

Posted By: chel
Date Posted: 3/13/09 at 5:49pm
I tried some warm-ups with my last play I directed but found it wasn't necessary.  I just showed them some options, since one of my cast member's was a new actress, and left it to them to decide if they wanted/needed it.  It was a comedy, so it was fun.

The last director I worked for had a background in improv, so every night was a new warm-up game.  I think he used it to "loosen them up".  (I was prop mistress, not an actor, I just watched), but when dress rehearsals/tech week and performances came he dropped the games.

I'm getting ready to direct "1984", my first drama actually.  Frankly I think they should offer anti-depressants with the usual concessions for the audience.  Freaking depressing show.  I don't want my actors going home in a downer, but I need them to be serious on stage.

In addition to feeding them, should I do anything to help them focus from a long day at work first and then close it with something more "perky"?  Or just let things fall where they may?

-------------
chel

www.windhamtheaterguild.org

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info