Forum Discription: For everything else
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2665
Printed Date: 5/09/24 at 3:49pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: theatre handbook
Posted By: drose
Subject: theatre handbook
Date Posted: 9/14/07 at 5:53pm
In the last month, this discussion board has been a lifesaver!  I can't even imagine the valuable information that I have missed out on in the last few years.  I think someone should consider a yearly handbook of topic summaries and ideas that could be purchased as a desk reference.  A how to guide for theatre issues.  There is a ton of amazing, anecdotal, real-life advice available here that I'm afraid I'm going to forget or never be able to find again!  Think about it! Please...

Replies:
Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 9/14/07 at 10:34pm
Me thinks you might have snaffled the wozza drose, how are you fixed for 'IT'?Wink
I got a feeling in the back of my scone. that Chris &/or Mike mooted something like this, back on the prehacked forum?
Or was itsome bloke a fair while ago on the  Amdram forum.
Who was bent on doing something similar, but he has since evaporated down the dunny & I can't remember what happened about it?
Probably sporting a straight jacket now in a padded cell!
But I think it is a great idea & well worth the effort of a well orginsed & ideal canidate, such as your self!Thumbs%20Up
{Just a piont my name is spelt correctly as just Wotsit?} Confused

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 9/15/07 at 1:43am
I am certainly willing to be a part of such an intimidating project, especially as a (relative) newbie such as myself will find different things fascinating than a more experienced techie/director/actor/producer.  I can find a hundred books on how to build a muslin or a hard flat or a plywood platform (and I read and research almost obsessively when I'm working on a project), but it wasn't until today that I ever heard of or considered buffering wood with fabric or newspaper to reduce squeaks!  Duh!  Granted, it's a huge project, but my lizard brain is already working on how it could be done...but we'd need a few dedicated people.  I'm pretty swamped right now (who isn't?), but I would be willing to make room for this project if a few people were really interested in working on it...?  Maybe the way to go is to plan the project to "actually" begin Jan. 1, 2008 and use the time between now and then to organize and set up a game plan.  Need to look at liability issues and probably remove alot of the personal banter...I can already see at least 10 topics that can be combined and a couple of purely venting/opinion topics that could be condensed into respect and etiquette reminders.  See?  My lizard brain has taken over.  Great.  Now I'll never get my other projects done...

Posted By: MikeO
Date Posted: 9/15/07 at 9:18am
Originally posted by drose

Need to look at liability issues and probably remove alot of the personal banter...

The personal banter helps to make this place great!!! How about a Gaafa translation manual? I bet that would be a hot seller too....

-------------
I'd rather act, but they found out I can do tech & sets!!

Date Posted: 9/15/07 at 10:01am
Harraa wye ynaa ye reet MikeO
 Wye aye drose akendee w'one naal, niva naa oot a'son aboot enywaa?
{Ibelieve you may be correct MikeO.Approve
Of course yes drose I should aquire a copy for my self, as I'm never sure what I'm on about anyway?}Confused

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 9/15/07 at 12:42pm
MikeO, I agree, the personal banter does make this forum great.  But it does get a little sharp and sometimes off topic enough to confuse the newbies (ie. ME).  Alot of the banter would have to stay, not all, but alot... it is part of the special flavor and attraction of this forum.  As for a Gaafa translation manual...you might be on to something there.  I'll take two!

Date Posted: 9/15/07 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by drose

MikeO, I agree, the personal banter does make this forum great.  But it does get a little sharp and sometimes off topic enough to confuse the newbies (ie. ME).

While I feel I'm not sharp there has been times when my left hand has taken over the keyboard  [as it has a mind of it's own} & may have unkowingly got up some members noses!
Now those occasions  in particular are...? - I better stay on topic for a change! - 'Least said soonest mended']  with this type of forum I find it is easy to be misunderstood & feelings to blow out, resulting in a lot of dummy's flying around. I know I feel like atempting to add some soap flakes & make it all frothy & bubbly again, Knowing though I will only end up making it worse! So I take the line that ignorance is bliss & it's only an agitation of the tea bag. It will all calm down anyway & there will be Hugall around!
One thing I was hoping for was to hear from Chris & Mike on the idea Question

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 9/15/07 at 9:24pm

I've yet to be personally offended by anyone's posts, but still I have noticed some definite sharpness in one or two.  But as has been pointed out many times, "different strokes..."  Joe, if you were sharp...I probably just didn't understand it!  Where's that darn translation manual when you need it?!  And to clarify my "confused newbie" status, I just meant that sometimes long term members refer to posts and people that as a new member, I'm not familiar with.  No biggie.  I was just trying to make the general idea of a reference manual accessible to everyone. 

But I must say that I, too, was hoping that Chris and/or Mike might chime in on this topic.  This is really their baby, but I'd love to be a part of it.

-d.

Date Posted: 9/16/07 at 8:39pm
So you would envisage, something on the lines of a 'Wiki' with cross reference & updates/ links or just a basic collation of the postings, either cat &/or dogarised to a simple format?
I have a feeling this handbook, while star'ting  out. as just a couple of bits of wood & a few  'gadzooks', may end up with 50,000 extras, chariots & Charleton Heston!
Not trying to be an 'Ocker Knocker' as it is great idea!
But I'd hate it if anyone one was to devote the time to get this to fly, only to find it's a rubber chook!Confused

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 9/17/07 at 1:57am
I'll take the 50.000 extras...if they can type!  I'm not sure what I'm looking for here.  I'd like a simplified format to cut to the meat of each topic, probably cross referenced, in defineable categories (i really like how this forum is categorized).  I spent a lot of time going through the archives and found a lot of really interesting information...but it's a little time consuming and difficult to wade through to find a specific fact.  I'd like to take our collective knowledge and make it more accessible...somehow...I'm letting my lizard brain mull it over whilst I do other things.  I'm hoping for an "aha!  This is how to do it" when I wake up some morning soon.  Maybe its too big a project  and it needs to be pared down into separate issues: techie, director, actor, etc.  But I really prefer the idea of a mix, especially since I find myself (and many others) wearing multiple hats for a give company or show.  I like the "one source" idea.  Anyway, I'll let the lizard brain work it over for awhile and see what it comes up with.  Gotta run, 10 other projects need my attention just now.

Date Posted: 9/17/07 at 6:17am
Just a thought!
If there was an all encompassing Q'nA style indexed dogagory, might this not reduce the amount of posts over all? Thinking for every action there is an equal & opposite reaction!
Or would it be better for the newer members to post & ask the question, as a more desired situation?
[Which also keeps old farts, like me, going over the same ground &/or afford others a chance to jion in & add new & better ideas. Than just blindly acepting the previous posted suggestions.
If I under constumble wot ah just writ?
It would be nice to view what other members feelings are, even if it to say  it's completely doolallied!
I know on some t'other forum boards, the moderators become quite agressive, when it comes to members posting previously discussed items. Which has to actualy happen here & if it did, the forum might lose some of it's appeal?

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 9/17/07 at 2:53pm
What you say is very valid (I think, there were no emoticons...).  As the old lizard brain is still trying to figure out exactly what I am looking for this project to be, I'm not sure how to respond to your comments.  I love the format of this forum and would hate to see the moderators become terribly agressive about repeating a post.  Closed topics should be revisited from time to time as new members and guests may have something to add, and "old timers" may have something new to add as well.  Having read nearly all the archived posts and the new (I'm an insomniac) I see that many of the revisited topics go in an entirely new direction and bring up all new helpful information and resources.  And there you have it.  Once again I have made no progress forward in regards to this particular project.  I will say, however, that I love the word "doolallied" and will endeavor to use it in conversation at least twice this week!

Date Posted: 9/17/07 at 5:19pm
I think I might have spelt it wrong?
Anyhow it is pronounced -
doo lally. If that helps?
Growing up I always thought it may have been  derived from 2 peoples names I knew as a wee baren. jioned together, that lived in our street. Mrs Dooley [@ no 7 [a.k.a "with enough barens to start a footy team & used her brothers free charabang pass"] & Mrs Lally next door but 2 [a.k.a"Her who lives off her sister marys Ration book"]. however to me niether of them seemed to be around the twist, in fact they were extremly nice ladies.
As I grew older touring around, I realised it was  in quite common use, in the north of  England & beyond!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 9/17/07 at 8:15pm

Prior to yesterday, I had never heard the word before, and without me mentioning it, one of my dearest friends used it in conversation with me today...before I got to!  What a small, crazy world.

Posted By: Kathy S
Date Posted: 9/17/07 at 10:23pm
My dear old dad used to use the term "Doo-Lolly-Tap" to describe someone who had "gone off the deep end" so to speak.  Do you suppose this is the same thing?

Date Posted: 9/17/07 at 11:00pm
Yes Kathy your right.
Explanation of 'dolallie Tap'
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-doo1.htm - http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-doo1.htm
Advice from Sir Charles;-
http://www.grandiose.com/00/000828.html - http://www.grandiose.com/00/000828.html

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 9/17/07 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Gaafa

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-doo1.htm - http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-doo1.htm
http://www.grandiose.com/00/000828.html - http://www.grandiose.com/00/000828.html

Joe, Is this a good place to find other Gaafa-isms? Sometimes I would really like to know what you are talking about!!!!Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: 9/17/07 at 11:52pm
possibly mate!
But I think it's really the medication or lack there of!WinkLOL

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: Kathy S
Date Posted: 9/18/07 at 6:06pm

Yes Kathy your right.

Those are great fun, Joe!

Date Posted: 9/18/07 at 9:45pm
I think I'm barking up the wrong tree.  Mike is right, maybe the Gaafa translation manual is the way to go. Smile

Date Posted: 9/18/07 at 10:00pm
I'll atempt to type in real english, to make it easier from now onWink [she'saright sport!] with a proper Toffee nosed BBC Kensigton Gore accent!Thumbs%20Up
Rather old bean, ah whot & jolly hockey sticks, gosh by george by jove by jeevesExclamation

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 9/19/07 at 2:25am
Not really sure that helped.Confused

Date Posted: 9/19/07 at 7:27pm

I'll atempt to type in real english, to make it easier from now onWink [she'saright!] with a proper Toffee nosed BBC Kensigton Gore accent!Thumbs%20Up
Rather old bean, ah whot & jolly hockey sticks, gosh by george by jove by jeevesExclamation

Keep practicin!!!!! Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 9/19/07 at 8:34pm
Big%20smile Thumbs%20Up WinkClap

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: vickifrank
Date Posted: 10/18/07 at 10:27pm
How about an electronic book published online.  I've known people to build books like this a chapter at a time, and then publish the entire thing electronically at the end.

I'd help if needed.

Date Posted: 10/19/07 at 3:08am
Now there is an idea drose.
Even more help offered - Bewdy Vicki!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 10/21/07 at 7:19pm
I think it's definately worth looking into.  I don't know how to go about publishing online (as if I know about publishing off-line...NOT!), but I really think we should consider it.  All of this information is such valuable resource, but sometimes its difficult to find what you are needing because it gets lost in tangent or thread off of some completely unrelated topic.  I really think we should consider brainstorming a solid idea and format and see what people think.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info