Print Page | Close Window

acting workshop

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Producing Theater
Forum Name: Acting
Forum Discription: Q&A about auditions, character development and other aspects of the craft
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2656
Printed Date: 4/27/24 at 10:19am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: acting workshop
Posted By: drose
Subject: acting workshop
Date Posted: 9/10/07 at 11:32pm
I am a director/actor who now owns 1/2 of a relatively new(2 years), community theatre (dear god, what was I thinking?!)  I am putting on an actor's workshop in October (it's not limited to, but is aimed at beginners and moderately experienced actors) and would like to know what YOU would find most helpful in an actor's workshop.  I find that we (ct directors) often don't have enough time to work in depth with actors to help them develope, well, as actors.  I'd like to provide them with some resources and techniques to enhance their skills and to provide a jumping off point to embrace the art.  Any ideas, titles, resources, etc. would be great.  I know what I would have like to have been told when I first started out...what would you like to have been told?

Replies:
Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 9/11/07 at 4:42am
I have not attended an actors workshop, only floated about on the fringes.
One of the things I found interesting was the mask prop thing. Where they had a set piece to emote & then apply
different emotions & characters when  delivering it.
They did get into using make up on the masks, to depict the differing characters, but this just ended up in a messy situation.
However using a heap different type hats for the character roles, became just as interesting & less messing about.
The only part I played was to help them understand the different terms used in theatre & applying them to parts of the stage, As I called it 'to box the stage', which most appreciated.
Other than that I can't help!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: Nanette
Date Posted: 9/11/07 at 6:36am
I find actors most often need to learn how to develop a character (mannerisms, voice, stature, etc.) and how to memorize lines (sounds easy, but soooooooooo many study alone and learn everyone's lines except their own).  Stage direction is also much needed (US, DS, C, DLC, etc.)

-------------
In a world of margarine, be butter!

Posted By: Kathy S
Date Posted: 9/11/07 at 9:01am
1) It helps actors to know that if the director does not have notes for them, then what s/he is doing is ok with the director. Keep doing it that way.
2)  Don't act the "emotion", act the action.  Think of the verb, not the adjective. 

Posted By: TonyDi
Date Posted: 9/11/07 at 9:58am
Of course you all KNEW I would say this - but PLEASE teach actors how to use stage makeup properly....if you can find a decent book that shows it.  Corson's is great but it's also expensive.  There is NO other book I know of that doesn't have some BAD concepts in it - even brand new books.  But so many of them need to get away from the silver hairspray, crayon sized lines, no fancy makeup for men (but yes, still need makeup) and women also need to understand that street makeup sometimes works and there's no need for embellishment.  As well for God's sake drop all the old fashioned concepts and cliche' ideas that simply never did do anything for a good makeup application. It's ALL very individual and specialized. Oh that I had the time, I would make a full time career of doing makeup seminars.  But I couldn't make enough money nor would there be the time much less the interest.  You DO know I've heard it for years from actors that "oh, I do my own makeup"!!! Well let me tell you tales and stories from the front and you'll be amazed.  WELL maybe another time.  Wink

TonyDi

-------------
"Almost famous"

Date Posted: 9/11/07 at 10:52am
So Tony when is your book coming out?
Might be a good project for the Greenrooms Mike & Chris to look at &/or assist in publishing.
'Making up warm props'.
I think most luvvies only worry about the acting & strutting in the Limes. Totally  unconcerned about the mise en scene effect on their performance.
In that regard have a techies acting workshop & vice versa.
As we all know techies make the better actors anyway!Ouch
Now a play with just lights & no actors has possibilities, with the techies doing the voice overs!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 9/12/07 at 8:06am
Originally posted by Gaafa

So Tony when is your book coming out?
Might be a good project for the Greenrooms Mike & Chris to look at &/or assist in publishing.
'Making up warm props'.
I think most luvvies only worry about the acting & strutting in the Limes. Totally  unconcerned about the mise en scene effect on their performance.
In that regard have a techies acting workshop & vice versa.
As we all know techies make the better actors anyway!Ouch
Now a play with just lights & no actors has possibilities, with the techies doing the voice overs!

Hey Joe,

WELL........that's just it...you see I'm always involved in so much stuff I rarely have TIME to do anything I WANT to do or plan to do unless it's literally MONTHS in advance.  HOWEVER, I AM STILL rolling this around behind my eyes in that big huge space that is supposed to contain gray matter (such as it is) and I have a 'rough' outline done with many modifications yet to come in THAT before I could even begin writing the text portions which will also have to be modified when the photos would be done.  AND as I think I said before, I MAY end up doing a series of DVD's instead of a book - MUCH quicker, easier and gives a "visual" demo of HOW to do it and can contain much more information that a written text.  AND it's easier for people to follow, to watch and see how it's done and to allow them something that they don't have to sit there and try to decipher by reading and applying what it is they read.

SO YES, it IS coming someday and YOU ALL will be the FIRST to know it when it's available.  I am past the year wherein I said I was going to do it and have only gotten to that rough outline.  But it's time I got me butt in gear and got something rolling in that regard.  One of the things I have issue with is finding willing victims who can serve as guniea pigs for this outrageous idea.  I DO want to do a makeup transformation in several different ways on a high school aged person to give them ideas how NOT to and HOW TO do makeup to age a youthful face effectively for playing older roles.  As you all know, it's often in the choice of actor or actress which gives you the BEST results in that regard.  They can still be young...they just need the kind of face that can best be made to look older than they are.  It's a lot about facial anatomy and bone structure, plus so much more.

ANYway, thanks yet again for prodding.  I NEED that constant heckling to get me on the ball and "git 'er done" so it's a reality and not a pipe dream.  So thanks for asking.  All I can say is it will get here eventually.

TonyDi

BY THE WAY I LOVE the title.  Can I use it with credit to YOU for coining that?  "Making Up Warm Props" ....!!!! HAHAHA!! I THINK THAT is A GREAT title and piques a little fun.  I HOPE to make it a bit humorous as well as anecdotal too.  So much to do, so many ideas.

-------------
"Almost famous"

Date Posted: 9/12/07 at 7:26pm
Cor Blimey I'd be chuffedWacko
Could this be sort of imortality at last?CryWink

DVD what a fantastic idea!
{I should have thought of that for doing my neglected series of books, ['Besides the Pro', 'Behind the Pro, 'Before the Pro' & 'Beyond the Pro']}Big%20smile
(Pity I'm not young enough to know how to do it?)Confused

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 9/12/07 at 10:36pm
Joe,
Thank god for emoticonsEmbarrassed or I'd never know what you are saying!  I love it!  I love your posts even when it takes me a while to figure out aussie jargon.  You have great insight and advice - Thank you!  -d.

Date Posted: 9/13/07 at 1:01am
Thanks drose!
I'm a Pohm not actualy an aussie as such,being a british citizen & aussue resident, because I have not bothered to have the surgery done. [I,m still counted as a pommy bathplug, as I have only been here almost 47 years]Wink
Being a Pohm & born a Geordie, I lost my accent, on the theatre circuit, in my youth.
I have rather a plain non descript accent, neither one thing or the other?
I don't know why I bung on here.Embarrassed It maybe that I still have to come to terms with & in learning to type in english again.
A spell checker would help & thank gawd for the 'edit' button!Wink
So I apologise & will endeavour to curtail the urge to lapse into 'Ockerisms as often!Embarrassed

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 9/13/07 at 2:04pm
My apologies for the misnomer, I jumped to conclusions based on your location.  Please don't change for me, I love your posts.  Not only do I learn something new everytime, but I get to enjoy your "accent".  You know how we americans love a good accent!  This whole forum is wonderful! It's travelling to a national theatre arts symposium without the plane ticket! Thank you!

Date Posted: 9/13/07 at 6:25pm
No no no I'm sorry I didn't mean any thing. Now Iam embarissedEmbarrassed & far from being upset by any Mr or miss Nomer?
Y'fairdinkum  bonzer drose!
I must agree with you about being a stowaway on a national nay international flight without a ticket, on this forum - great analogyThumbs%20Up
As long as  y'all can put with my stumbling & bumbling atempts at tapping out english gramer, as a one finger exercise, which is proved great therapy for me. Which was the results of living for too many years on coffee & smokes in theatre.
After the 5th stroke & a few under the knife other hicups.  The Quack  is happy that  sites like this is are a  great rehabilitation tool.
For that i will eternaly greatful to Chris & Mike, Jane of Amdram & all it's mermbers!
especialy KathyS & Rod o West who got me through the worst trials & tribulations at my darkest times.
Gawd my eyes are starting to perspire & it ain't that hot!
Must go & have a cuppa, smoke & a lay down,
I know a bath or why not do it all! {[back of the right Upstage hand on the left brow - swanson style] Exuant prompt side [no you twit! the other prompt side?] [Switch hands]}
Oh Censored!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: Kathy S
Date Posted: 9/14/07 at 1:29am

Bless us! Let's have a toast to our old friend RodO.

Date Posted: 9/14/07 at 2:02pm
What a vast viod one bloke can leave  in so many  lives.
Here is to you me old 'Cnina Plate', Cheers RodO!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 9/15/07 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by TonyDi

'Making up warm props'.
 , I MAY end up doing a series of DVD's instead of a book -

[/QUOTE]

Tony
I just received thr latest 'stage Directions' & would you know it they have fearured this DVD series on Makeup!
Mind you the DVD's are $179.95(USD) the set, so there could be a niche market for a series aimed at the amatuer rather than those with a pro future in mind;-

http://www.plsnbookshelf.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=183 - http://www.plsnbookshelf.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=183

Not prodding really!Ouch

{One thing which I'm not sure of though?
The author of the DVD lists her self as a an Instructor Dr & a Webmistress?}
  What;s an instructors doctor & is it PC for Webs to be old enough to have a Mistress?Wink
If so y'all can almost trust me to keep a confidence  as I'm nearly a doctor?Evil%20Smile

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 10/02/07 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Gaafa

Originally posted by TonyDi

'Making up warm props'.
 , I MAY end up doing a series of DVD's instead of a book -

Tony
I just received thr latest 'stage Directions' & would you know it they have fearured this DVD series on Makeup!
Mind you the DVD's are $179.95(USD) the set, so there could be a niche market for a series aimed at the amatuer rather than those with a pro future in mind;-

http://www.plsnbookshelf.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=183 - http://www.plsnbookshelf.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=183

Not prodding really!Ouch

{One thing which I'm not sure of though?
The author of the DVD lists her self as a an Instructor Dr & a Webmistress?}
  What;s an instructors doctor & is it PC for Webs to be old enough to have a Mistress?Wink
If so y'all can almost trust me to keep a confidence  as I'm nearly a doctor?Evil%20Smile

Hey Joe,

Well I just saw this so I went to check out what this was.  Frankly, and I know I'm going to sound like a pompous ass, THIS set SUCKS especially for $179.00 for the set.  Seems like a LOT of money that really STILL displays makeup work that is STYLIZED, MUCH MUCH to heavy handed and geared toward a wider variety of things that I simply think this woman is NOT qualified to do. Her horror makeup, or her FX makeup work is amateurish, most of her stuff that is shown on that ONE page, is FAR too heavy handed, unrefined, unblended, unfinished in my estimation. And to charge $179.00 for 6 DVD's might not SEEM excessive for the "amount of information you get" - sadly when it's no better than it appears on the surface to be, then in MY wallet it's just not worth it.  This is the SAME kind of thing that the last book I purchased drew to my attention. THIS woman - with her doctorate degree - is a COSTUMER who is into makeup too. And if you notice she is an ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR - not even a full fledged professor who has been teaching it for only 10 years (and she's likely not too old like this next one either - just thinks 10 years qualifies her). And her references for the histories are like from 1898 and 1916 - old ideas, old concepts which she is trying to apply to modern techniques and styles?  Sorry I don't buy that at all.  Even her LAST DISC SHOULD be the first - with studies in anatomy and other basics that BEGIN the process - not end it.  Like the last book I bought which promotes some other "associate professor of costuming" at some Michigan or Minnesota college - who THINKS she knows what good makeup work is - is all about self promotion using her otherwise impressive credentials to push off on the poor unsuspecting public of users - actors and teachers or whatever - amateurish approaches to makeup for theater.  I mean I'm sorry, costumers are NOT makeup artists.  This is that age old issue of....."I had two semesters of makeup instruction in college so I'm a makeup artist" OR ........ "oh I KNOW how to do my own makeup"!!!  And I'm sick to death of it.

NO I don't possess college degree in costuming or makeup (NOBODY that I know of anywhere EXCEPT a couple colleges in CA - produce degrees in makeup work).  Even the makeup schools for FX and such, are so basic that most people who go to those schools have more money than brains. I mean, one school I know of particularly charges $27,000 dollars for a course in SPFX.  SOME of the people who have come out of those schools do well.  MOST do not.  It's NOT the instructors - they're all qualified makeup artists who are top-notch. IT's the school itself that promotes a makeup artist mill as THE WAY to learn to do the work and that you WILL get hired.  HOGWASH.  THE INDUSTRY is suffering severely from over-glut of artists UNQUALIFIED to do the work - when in fact, the work is hardly there to have anymore.

And with theater makeup artists - well they're a dime a dozen and they all usually have the same problem - "I had two semesters of makeup instruction in college so I'm a makeup artist"!!! NOT!!!  But you can't tell anyone that or you become (as I have far too many times) a pompous ass who "thinks he knows it all"?  Heck, I've been doing this for almost 50 years and I STILL am learning - so I have no delusions about what I know and I certainly don't go around with my makeup kit on my shoulder. I HAVE gotten lucky that most people who know my work and know what I AM capable of hire me more and more to do the work.  AND THAT is the fact that I enjoy.....well that and the money that comes from a lifetime of learning and ability.  BUT JUST BECAUSE she has a doctorate degree (in costuming I'm assuming - or theater) WHY people put more stock in THAT just because she HAS that credential is beyond me.  Are people just THAT stupid??  I just don't know.  MAYBE it means I need to get off my ass and get MY work out there and selling if I can and if it would.  IF these idiots can get their JUNK sold, surely to God I can too.  I just need to do it and get it out there to know.  Something to be said for not wasting one's time getting it done.

AT any rate, I will still use your title with credit to you.  I DO still love it - "Making Up Warm Props".  CLASSIC Title and with anecdotal stuff plus solid instruction I hope I can make something like this work.  I'm bound and determined or at least to die trying.  Thanks for the heads up.  I KNOW I can beat that $179.0o price tag EVEN to advanced makeup people who are beyond amateur status.  EVERY makeup pro WAS an amateur - it just takes TIME and PATIENCE and INSTRUCTION.  I learned my makeup work on the job.  My other interest of Special Makeup Effects which CAN apply to theater in many, many cases, was learned from one of the best of the best in Hollywood who is an academy award winning makeup artist and the "godfather of modern special makeup effects".  I got lucky to be a student of his course.  I learned more in the last 13 years or so that I've been a student of his course than I ever knew in the previous 35 some odd years before.  AND if NOTHING else, I learned a level of devotion, precision, perfection seeking that SO FEW THEATER makeup people even CARE about or consider.

SO I'm still going to do it.  FAR less expensive and far better information and instruction than a doctoral costumer can do.  I've seen the page displayed. I'm NOT impressed at ALL with her work. Yet there she is selling her DVD's and here I sit wishing I had the time to get it done.

I know what I NEED to do - just need the time to do it.

LATER

TonyDi

-------------
"Almost famous"

Date Posted: 10/02/07 at 9:17pm
Go for it Tony!Thumbs%20Up
Why don't you start your own Academy school?
I'm sure you could snaffle a government grant &/or sponsorship from product manufacturers.
There might be enough in it to give up your day job?Wink
  It seems from this birds infoadd, all you have to do is hang out a shingle & certify the students of course, then supply your DVD as apart of it.Big%20smile
I feel positive with your experiance, you would fill a niche, especialy here in ameatre!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 11/11/07 at 11:42pm
Well the workshop has only one week left and it's been a lot of fun, and in my opinion, very successful.  We are going to hold another one in January and then offer an advanced option to use the techniques to work on monologues and dialogues, with direction.  I wasn't going to offer an advanced option, but people are asking for it (that's a good sign, yes?), so I'm happy to give it a go.

(and TonyDi if you're out there, we did touch on make-up, emphasis on street techniques to enhance features or diminish appearance of "flaws".  Emphasized health and cleanliness, need to have own "basics", and, as it is an actor's workshop, emphasized need to have the character carry the make-up, not the make-up carry the actor - with a few exceptions.)

Date Posted: 11/12/07 at 10:27pm
Hey DROSE, GLAD to hear your acting workshops are successful.  Actually I have as yet to see well run workshops like this with qualified instructors turn out too badly.  They're ALWAYS a GREAT way to work out a lot of issues and hear varying opinions, ideas, techniques and more.  And yes, I AM delighted that you used some levels of makeup discussion to at least touch on some of the more important facets of makeup work - that being limited, subtlties without the need for over-doing (depending upon the needs of the show/characters) and that safety, health, hygiene and common sense are important.  Further, instructing people that if they're going to be doing this work, they simply need to invest in the basic makeup supplies - share them with no-one - and to have access to whatever is needed for yourself from both the standpoints of the required supplies but the required BASIC knowledge from which to build upon and learn since it IS such a separate though connected craft.  Granted if companies can afford to hire qualified makeup artists (keeps me working) then by all means that's a good way to go.  But too, using the makeup to SUPPORT the actor or character is always of the greatest importance....that is until you have needs that move well beyond what simplistic makeup work can do (namely heavy prosthetics and the need for those to accomplish whatever is needed in shows that carry the makeup work far beyond the basics).  SO THANKS for including that for those who need to know it. 

Again glad your seminars and workshops are a huge success.  Give them a little then they'll want much more - into the advanced stages and that's a good thing. Eager to learn and absorb is a good sign. Congratulations.

TonyDi

-------------
"Almost famous"

Posted By: JoeMc
Date Posted: 11/14/07 at 11:00am
Well I just held the stage craft workship tonight.
However it was an acting workshop only, the type one has when not having one?Confused
I need to get my 'magi anettena' tuned in properly or at least have a frontal labotomy with 440Volts!Shocked
I didn't get the atendance prediction correct.
Mind you I was fairly close to 4 in atendance. We had almost a full house of 3.5.
The house rag went up late by about an hour or so with 3 bums on seats, which was boosted by an over late member,Smile sticking his head around the door, to give a nessage to his wfe, our secretary, not to be late home. Confused
Any how in amongst the yawns & leaving one to sleep.SleepyEmbarrassed
I trundled on & gave a condenced version of the grand plan on stagecraft.Embarrassed
  Ithink it went down well, covering the positions on the stage, fly's, equipment. knots, lighting fixtures history & colour.
Then upon finishing we found no one had the key to lock up the centre, as the other users had vanished.Ouch So after a wasted phone call to the Council Security Company, who couldn't give crap one way or another. We fosicked about & found a door we could exit & lock behind us.
Otherwise it was a brilliant night for woffling on & wishing we were all elsewhere having a froffy mugaccino. {they had forgotten to bring the makings & fresh milk!}Angry
I know Im thick as two short planks & twice as dense, it takes a while for me to get the message.
{Hey sunshine ya past your 'Use By' date!}Cry
 "Ah fink ar bettah fink out again? - Oyh!"Wink
"So who will buy - One galah for sale - go'n cheap!
Not worth two Tanaas  in a Shilling?"

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
"Hear the light & see the sound!
TOI TOI CHOOKAS
{may you always play to a full house!}

Date Posted: 11/14/07 at 12:57pm
I'm sorry to hear that you stagecraft workshop wasn't well and enthusiasticaly attended.  I wish you were here to give one, I've been trying to get one together for over a year now, but I don't have anyone truly competent to do it!  Still trying to entice someone from the local university (50 miles away) to come down and do it, but so far I've seen little interest from them.  I can guarantee them 10 people and there are probably more, since there are two other local theatre organization besides mine who should be interested.  Don't give up hope.  Maybe it's just a matter of educating would-be volunteers about how interesting and  fun stagecraft can be. But who knows when it comes to people?  I've been trying to establish an apprenticeship program here with the designers to pass on information and skills to would be designers and volunteers, but it's really been difficult to get people to commit to being a mentor!  I don't get it.  People complain about being overworked and overused as volunteers, but they don't want to pass along their know-how to someone else...who in turn could take some of the pressure off!  People are crazy.

Date Posted: 11/14/07 at 10:29pm
thanks drose, i'll just let it wash past me like a wave.
I don't know if this may help you or not?
  A few years ago [2002] I started up a 'Stagecraft gGuild' at the old mill Theatre in South Perth.
  I modeled it on the idea of a branch of the guild operating in each theatre group , who were members of  our our State Independant Theatre Association  {ITA}. The  first thing was to orginise a series of workshops, at the Old Mill Theatre for any interested bods.
There was no fees for jioning the guild, only thier weekly 3 hour workshop particapation, for 5 weeks.
This was to establish a core of about 50 Guild members, which we did.
After completion of the workshop process, where by each had moved colectivly thru  4 stages  of achievement;-
1  Mechanisist
2 Techie
3 Artisapher
4 Guild 
[which was final Investiture by into the Guild.]
Off hand I think the Guild emded up Investing about 20 members - the rest had either opted out Or lost interest.
Each invested member got a patch red woven badge, to sew on thier own black T shirt, which had the theatrical masks & Stage Guild done in Safron Gold coloured thread.
[as we had no funds, it was cheaper to have the patch badges made up for them & logisticly easier  & cheaper than  supplying a silk screened shirt]
Each of the member from several theatre groups, in turn would establish thier own branch of the Guild, within thier home theatre group. Training others of the group , under thier theatres Constitution, Rules & regulations.
So each branch was only affiliated to the Guild as a whole. each elected a guild Master who were representitives of the branch to the  Central Guild, which was initaily held at the Old mill.
The central Guild would hold specialist  Stagecraft workshops, from time to time, sponsored by equipment suppliers  or  techies from within the  theatre industry, in various aspects of the game.
that was the Grande plan, anyhow I was Directing back to back shows. Man of La mancha & A chorus Line  at the time, when I hade my series of strokes. the last was caused after second Carotid artery Operation. When a few radical floaties where lefy swiming about.
  I tried to keep the Guild going from my hospital bed & enlist help from Aunty 'ITA' our beloved Theatre association, who's only answer was "we can't help it's your problem"?
so it all was flushed down the dunny, to jion all the other pathetic ideas!
However I think it may work in your situation, possibly to the extent of cliostered academics knocking on your door, with proposals of assistance or whatever?Wink
I'd love to go to the US, except for the liberal gun laws.
We worried when our daughter & her husband, spent about a week in New Yourk, as a side trip, while  they atended the Cricket world Cup in the West Indies, for 3 momths just recently.
When statisic suggests there is just as many firearm related incendences, as vehicle accidents each year. I doubt it is all just media properganda!
Question

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 11/15/07 at 2:04am

Thanks for the info!  I'll have to do some research and see who might be interested.  As for liberal gun laws...I've lived in California, Oregon, Washington, Montana and Alaska and I haven't been shot yet!Smile

Date Posted: 11/15/07 at 4:30am
I know I'm a drongo!
I think I  may have been exsposed to far too much over the top, car chacing, shoot em up,  over exagerated  TV rubbish!
Unfortunately it may be the sheer weight of numbers, when there is a larger population in an average City there, than there is in the whole of Oz. Even throwing in the kiwis from over the ditch, along with the sheep!
It is incomprehensable for us to to think that every second person  one would meet, could be carring a gun.
I'm a total narna when my daughter in law & niece fly there with quantas every few weeks,  returning unscathed, more likely to be assaulted here!
It just shows the power & ability of a piece of electronic furniture to brain wash.

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Posted By: stgdirector4
Date Posted: 1/17/08 at 2:23pm
Since this thread started on the subject of an acting workshop, I'd like to offer my two cents.

I'm a director, and I just recently conducted an acting class and performance workshop. I introduced basic Stanislavskian principles to the classes, and worked primarily on scene study and building a character. Additionally, we performed theatre games, like Zoom, Give & Take, and Emotional Hitch-Hiker for warm-ups and imagination work.

The classes went well enough for me to continue with two more classes (Basic & Experienced), plus a directing class. They will probably start in late February.

I'd be happy to share my experiences and how I structured the classes if anyone is interested.

Posted By: avonlee
Date Posted: 2/29/08 at 1:35pm
I am interested! Please share!

Posted By: pjutz28
Date Posted: 4/05/08 at 12:45pm

Pujtz here, I’ve been interested in filmmaking ever since i got my own handy cam in 7th grade. Didn't pursue my passion until about two years ago when i decided that i wanted to take filmmaking from being a hobby to being my full time career.  I put together my ideas and plans and went out to find funding, that didn’t turn out so well as I wasn't formally trained. I'm now based in Asia, teaching English as a Second Language, and I’m scouting for some film schools in the region.  One school that caught my attention is the http://www.filmschool.ph - International Academy of Film and Television .  I was hoping anyone in the forum is currently enrolled in any of their film programs; i would really like to hear an insider’s opinion

Date Posted: 5/01/08 at 12:42pm
Stgdirector4, I would very much like to hear how you structured your class.  I'm going to be doing another workshop this summer and am always interested in new ideas!

Posted By: GoldCanyonLady
Date Posted: 5/02/08 at 10:15am
Tony I would love the DVDs. Hurry up and do it. It would be worth a lot to be able to share this with actors. Let us know when it is more than just an outline.

-------------
Barb Hofmeister,
MountainBrook Village Players, Gold Canyon, Arizona.

Date Posted: 5/05/08 at 8:22am
Originally posted by GoldCanyonLady

Tony I would love the DVDs. Hurry up and do it. It would be worth a lot to be able to share this with actors. Let us know when it is more than just an outline.

I am back to thinking about this and working on the outline AGAIN!!! SEEMS TIME is my biggest enemy.  I work for a living - a real, involved and time-consuming job.  BUT my outside committments have drastically reduced as of late - I planned it that way - so I can now begin working on the outline for the DVD's or book or whatever I plan to do with it all in the end.  BUT thanks for the prod.  I need that every now and again to keep the juices flowing and the mind racing toward getting this done.  I mean, it's something in MY opinion, is much needed even though there are already good books out there - that MOST people don't know about, never find or just can't afford - I mean after all Corson 9 is over $100 bucks (but it's still one of the best available).  I THOUGHT about a book but a DVD is easier, could be cheaper in the long run and can offer much more information - I can talk faster than I can type even though I CAN type quite fast.....and it's easier to listen to than to read.  SO I'm likely opting for the DVD route - and far less expensive, much more honest and to the point and HOPEFULLY will DEBUNK a lot of the garbage that's out there from those who just because they've had a semester or two - or even a couple YEARS at makeup work - think they're qualified.  As I've said before, I've been at this almost 50 years and I STILL am learning - it simply never stops.  SO Keep prodding me - keep bugging me about it and I'll get it done.

THANKS however for asking again.

TonyDi

-------------
"Almost famous"

Date Posted: 5/06/08 at 4:30pm
Okay look I KNOW this belongs in another section on this site - the MAKEUP forum - and I WILL post it there as well.  BUT I keep talking about this and I need to know something from you all - you who are out there doing the work in the trenches, having the needs of theater officianados, techies, actors, directors, etc., etc.  IF I AM to do this series of DVD's or a book on theater makeup, WHAT IN YOUR OPINION CAN I DO THAT'S DIFFERENT THAN WHAT OTHER BOOKS HAVE DONE??  I have a LOT of books on theater makeup and makeup in general - special effects makeup work and more.  AND I know what I've seen in the nearly 50 years I've been doing makeup that is so poorly done that I long for someone (like myself) to offer a treatise on what it takes to do it right for a variety of situations and venue sizes, etc.  BUT what I DON'T know is what MOST PEOPLE NEED or WANT from a makeup book that isn't being or hasn't been provided already by other treatises on the subject.

SO I guess I'm asking for SUGGESTIONS, IDEAS, OPINIONS, NEEDS (specific and general) and what in your world isn't being taught or being shared that would help YOU in THE REAL world of community theater.  I want to address makeup from a variety of standpoints as well - NOT just AMATUER BEGINNER work but enough of a variety that it won't bore the masses of those who DO good makeup work but need to take things steps further in their development as makeup artists in theater or whatever it is you're doing.  CAN YOU HELP?  DO YOU WANT to help by providing YOUR personal take on what would help you the most from what you know and what you've seen of makeup work by those who NEED to know how to do it right and how it should be presented that it will best serve those who want to learn?

THIS would give me a REAL PICTURE of what the most pressing needs are in the worlds in which you all exist and especially so when you NEED good makeup work done but there is no-one who knows how.  OR it will give me if nothing else, a jumping off place.  Oh I could come up with an outline - I'm working on one now.  BUT you don't want to see the HISTORY of makeup, or AVANTE GARDE high fashion stuff necessarily, nor all old age makeups, nor animals, monsters or zombies, etc., etc.  -  YOU get my point I think.  If you're like me, you KNOW that good, solid PRACTICAL makeup help is always a god-send and something that is sorely needed and poorly conveyed, hardly EVER taught even on the college level, much less in community theater circles.

While I cannot offer you all a byline on the final result, you'll all certainly know you contributed and will be graciously thanked for your ideas, thoughts, conjectures, problems, issues, needs, concepts, and so on and so forth when I do get this off the ground and out there into the hands of those who need it most - and there are many.  All I have to do now is figure out a way of getting it out there into the hands of those who WANT it and THOSE who NEED it but would never admit to it.

THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE for your ideas and such.

TonyDi

-------------
"Almost famous"

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info