Subject: Favorite play
Date Posted: 9/06/07 at 7:26pm
I just wanted to know what everyones favorite play was Big%20smile

-------------
break a leg!

Replies:
Posted By: Kathy S
Date Posted: 9/07/07 at 12:13am
My "favorite play" changes from time to time depending on my mood.  Or depending on what play I am currently involved in! Or what play I just saw! Or what play I am currently reading!  Or what play I am currently directing!  They range from "Steel Magnolias" to "Jerry Springer the Opera" to "Oklahoma" to "Goodbye Charlie" to "Waltz of the Toreadors" to "Dearly Departed" and on and on and on! 

Posted By: Mr. Lowell
Date Posted: 9/07/07 at 2:04pm

My favorite is still, "The Return to the Forbidden Planet", a Shakespearean Sci-fi Musical. 

See my old post about this show: 
http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2256 - http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2256

-------------
Mr. Lowell,
Lighting/Set Designer & Tech Director,
for the Linda Sloan Theatre,
in the Davison Center for the Arts,
at Greensboro Day School

Posted By: MartyW
Date Posted: 9/07/07 at 2:11pm

-------------
Marty W

"Till next we trod the boards.."

Posted By: pdavis69
Date Posted: 9/07/07 at 4:25pm
I have to vote for Escanaba in da Moonlight.  It may be a regional appeal.  It's set in the upper penisula in Michigan.  I don't know how well it plays across the country or world, but I love it.

-------------
Patrick L. Davis
Fort Findlay Playhouse

Posted By: red diva
Date Posted: 9/08/07 at 8:17pm
Musical:  absolutely, Gypsy.  (I've played each of the strippers and Dainty June; someone around here better do it soon before I get too old to play Rose)
Book show:  wow....tough call!  A Shayna Maidel, I guess.

-------------
"I've worked long and hard to earn the right to be called Diva!"

Posted By: eveharrington
Date Posted: 9/09/07 at 5:32am
Originally posted by pdavis69

I have to vote for Escanaba in da Moonlight. It may be a regional appeal. It's set in the upper penisula in Michigan. I don't know how well it plays across the country or world, but I love it.

A local theater here (Illinois)has just brought this show back "by popular demand" and I'm sure they will do it again next year. It was just a huge hit for them and everyone I've talked to that participated would basically be laughing too hard to tell me much about it.

-------------
"If nothing else, there's applause... like waves of love pouring over the footlights."

Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 9/09/07 at 8:16pm
Mine would have to be 'Man Of La Mancha', which is a play with music rather than a musical, according to the author.
I had one of those magical moments in theatre. When after finishing reading the script through for the first time, the mise en scene  & blocking fell into place. Then it was just a question of putting the warm props into to complete it. Then restrain myself from building upon & enhance, those  creative accidents, that come out of the proceeding process.
I keep wanting to produce it again & again!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: slicksister
Date Posted: 9/10/07 at 12:30am
I agree with KathyS.  I usually have a "flavour of the month" BUT Steel Magnolias, A Piece of my Heart and Fiddler On the Roof seem to hover at the top.

-------------
The Main Thing is to Keep the Main Thing the Main Thing

Posted By: Spectrum
Date Posted: 9/10/07 at 1:24am
I would have to say my vote goes to DON'T DRESS FOR DINNER, but it's probably due to the wonderful experiences with the cast, crews, and director as much as the play itself (very funny show!).  It has been about five years since we staged that show and to this day, everything about that play made a great memory for me.

-------------
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Posted By: Thespian_4_ever
Date Posted: 9/18/07 at 7:24pm
Play: Steel Magnolias or the Diviners

Musical: RAGTIME or Beauty and the Beast

-------------

Posted By: drose
Date Posted: 9/18/07 at 9:49pm
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Stoppard 
The Real Inspector Hound by Stoppard
The Women by  Claire Luce Booth  (sp?)
The Drowsy Chaperone by ?
...just off the top of my head.  Don't quote me!

Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 9/18/07 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by drose

...just off the top of my head.  Don't quote me!

Are these Musicals?Wink
{If not they could be good ldeas for pays?}Big%20smile

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: avcastner
Date Posted: 10/10/07 at 11:23pm
Much Ado About Nothing and Cymbeline tie for first in Shakespeare
Melodrama--Tied to the Tracks
Musical--42nd Street and Beauty and the Beast
Drama--(Really a mystery) The Mousetrap
Farce--Noises Off! and The Importance of Being Earnest

-------------

Posted By: Aimee
Date Posted: 10/12/07 at 1:34am
 I tend to love each one I am doing at the time,
 but I'd say "Harvey" just tops them all. The entire cast and crew had a great relationship so we all had a great time.
Though very serious, Ikind of liked "Diary of Anne Frank" too. 

-------------
Aimee

Posted By: tristanrobin
Date Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:41am
red diva - you're the only other person I've known who has even heard of "A Shayna Maidel!"  Thumbs%20Up

Favorite comedy - "Lend Me a Tenor" by Ken Ludwig
Favorite play - "Who's Happy Now" by Oliver Hailey.
Favorite musical - I guess it's "Sweeney Todd" - though we just saw "Spring Awakening" on Broadway and it could well be my NEW favorite musical (this month Wink )

Posted By: whitebat
Date Posted: 11/26/07 at 9:01pm
Other than the one I'm writing/teching/watching at the moment?

"Man of La Mancha"
"Twelfth Night"

Posted By: Darren
Date Posted: 12/03/07 at 5:00pm
I have a lot of favorites.  For plays though, a couple of my favorites are You Can't Take It With You and Holiday and The Philadelphia Story by Philip Barry.

-------------
Darren Farrington
Theater Management and Production Consultant
http://darrenfarrington.com - www.darrenfarrington.com

Posted By: neilfortin
Date Posted: 12/04/07 at 11:28am
Musical....Ragtime...

Play...The King Stag...Julie Taymor's early work!

-------------
Community Theater makes us smile

Posted By: lhianeaivee
Date Posted: 12/04/07 at 12:35pm
well i like the CALAMBA JOE then because of thier music....well i found out that one of thier cast is actually a DJ on http://www.sirius.com/freeradio - sirius radio no wonder he got a owsome voice..

Posted By: SherrieAnne
Date Posted: 12/04/07 at 5:47pm
Musicals: Godspell, 1776, The King & I, Nunsense
Comedy: You Can't Take It With You, Blithe Spirit
Drama: The Lion in Winter, All My Sons, The Shadow Box

-------------
There's a little bit of diva in all of us. Some just have a larger helping than others.

Posted By: JasonFordham
Date Posted: 4/08/08 at 9:59pm
Noises Off, hands down.

-------------
"Theatre is life . . . film is art . . . television is furniture." - unknown

Posted By: lmar12
Date Posted: 5/02/08 at 2:32pm
Musicals--The WIZ (I've done it twice--there is something 'magical' about it) Seussical, 42nd Street, H2$
Comedies--Rumors (SOOOO funny) George Washington Slept Here (we used live chickens) Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In
Dramas--Of Mice and Men, Richard the Third, The Women, Stage Door

Posted By: ZFix1
Date Posted: 6/06/08 at 6:29am
I have quite a few that I really like, some depends on the cast etc.
But I must say one of the plays that I really really love is "Everything I know, I learned in Kindergarten" It is a compilation of true stories that brings you from laughing till your sides hurt to crying. It has got to be one of the most awesome for real pieces ever written.
Musicals would have to be "Wicked". Just because I think it is the best 'NEW' piece out of Broadway since the 40's.

-------------
If you can dream it, I can make it happen

Posted By: gggf
Date Posted: 7/13/08 at 10:58pm

I wasn't sure if you meant plays you've seen or acted in or read.... I write plays, don't act in them.  Memorial plays that I've seen live include Hair, the RSC plays in NYC in the 70s, lot of Joe Papp's Shakespeare plays, Actor's Theatre's Crucible. . .can't began to name them all.  I've seen some great actors ...impossible to list the great plays.

My favorite plays in general include Hamlet [Branagh's film was great], The Bacchae....any Shakespeare or Greek plays.  Anybody seen Cacoyannis' Trojan Women film or Zoe Caldwell's Medea?   

-------------
gggf

Posted By: jaytee060
Date Posted: 7/14/08 at 7:26am
Originally posted by pdavis69

I have to vote for Escanaba in da Moonlight.  It may be a regional appeal.  It's set in the upper penisula in Michigan.  I don't know how well it plays across the country or world, but I love it.

Golly, this was an easy one for me.  I have to agree with "pdavis".  My favorite play is ESCANABA IN DA MOONLIGHT.  Never has the theatre been more fun or more zany.  And......its got dam dere aliens.  Dey do.  Dats the troot.  I see'd em once over Miller's barn.  Day was justa hooverin dere.

-------------
"REMEMBER ME IN LIGHT"

Posted By: mary051756
Date Posted: 7/16/08 at 7:54am
Wow...toughie! 

From the audience, it would have to be The Full Monty, Hairspray, Legally Blonde, In the Heights and, if done right, Jesus Christ Superstar - all for different reasons

From the director/producer chair - I would have to say The Wizard of Oz - but the original play version that is not around anymore and Fully Committed (if the right actor is in the part)

-------------
“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” EMERSON

Posted By: Stageref
Date Posted: 8/19/08 at 10:45am
Titanic: The Musical.  What a moving show, audiences are surprised by their own tears.

-------------
http://www.stageref.com - Stageref.com
The new, free, on-line social experience of community theater productions and people

Posted By: skoehler
Date Posted: 8/19/08 at 12:12pm
Some plays that I think need to be mentioned, both because I love them and I think they are some of the best American Plays ever written: Streetcar Named Desire, Death of a Salesman, All My Sons

As for favorites though, best experience in a theatre ever Gross Indecency, the Three Trials of Oscar Wilde, The Laramie Project, Hamlet.  I am not a huge musical fan, but I had a lot of fun working on Jesus Christ Superstar, The Full Monty (although I really think it is a poorly written book that pales when compared to the movie) and Olympus On My Mind. 

-------------
Steven Koehler
Managing Director
Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette
www.lafayettecivic.org

Posted By: KEB54
Date Posted: 8/19/08 at 5:15pm
"Packer Fans From Outer Space"  http://www.packerfansfromouterspace.com/ - http://www.packerfansfromouterspace.com/

-------------
KEB

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info