URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2602
Printed Date: 5/18/24 at 12:37pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Club Tech [ Fo'c'sle]
Posted By: Gaafa
Subject: Club Tech [ Fo'c'sle]
Date Posted: 8/25/07 at 3:36am
{Me thinks this may be a first for me. to actualy atempt to start a topic?]
This may help the Techies, Sparky. Lampy, Niosy, Mech's & even the Chipy & Aparelers..  To assist in grasping  the fundimentals of the
'Simulatated Manifestation Of Known Emf '
[Electrical theory of S.M.O.K.E]
 b
y Joseph Lucas & the Bell Labs;-
http://www.peizhang.com/forfun/forfun_writings_smoke.htm - http://www.peizhang.com/forfun/forfun_writings_smoke.htm
Which goes a long way to understanding the nature of electricity, To add to the techies tool box & understanding. It also covers Lighting a.k.a 'dark suckers' & adding to the 'outside of the box thinking'!?!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Replies:
Date Posted: 8/26/07 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by gracie

We have a serious need for cross-training.  Our newest board president is of that opinion and is working toward that goal.  Not that everyone needs to be an expert in every area, but we all need to be somewhat familiar with each area.  Putting all of your eggs in one basket can lead to trouble.
  the local high school replacing their lighting system.  Not that we really needed any more lights to hang (I think we have around 80 or so now).  Don't know what kind of shape the ones from the HS are in, but hopefully, we'll get use out of them.

Great idea Nanette about sticking with one company.  Will have to remember that.

I started [going to have to start using the 'royal we' rather than 'I'] ...anyway 'we' started a 'Stagecraft Guild' a few years ago.
'we' started it for all the member groups of our local WA State theatre association {aka 'Aunty ITA'[ Independant Theatre Association]}
Which started off well with workshops in my own home theatre & even did weakend workshops in regional bush areas, traveling from Perth to as far as Albany in the south west. some 600 km's away.
{I [woops 'we'] got cheesed off a bit, because all the costs, such as acomodation & fuel, came out of 'our' sky rocket, Even though the groups in these areas suggested & promised to refund 'us', but theatre being t'eatres it never happened!}
"We' should have stuck to our own back yard & let the rest carry on playing about in thier own.
Our dear sainted 'Aunty' liked & enjoyed  the concept, but only played lip service to it, because I believe there only concern is the space between thier ears - but that's all another story!
I had some strange idea we could have Guild members from all the theatre groups, who would complete trainging at the guild & inturn start thier own branch at thier group, perpetuating the concept from within.
Even had cloth badges they could put on thier T shirts & had some made up designating articipher skills &/or acievements. [What a dreamer!] However after a few Strokes later flushed  that idea down the Dunny! Along with a lot of others such as a central database & depositry of Props, set pieces, furniyure & tech gear. { even had the use of an old disused Electrical Power Station on a 20 year peppercorn lease from the government} Ah well 'it' happens! {There goes my 'Knighthood'' down the drain again or at least an '(Ocker) AM' would have been nice?]
But all in all, it was like pee'n t'windward! Ouch
With getting hold of updated gear, I have tried a number of times to grab trade in equipment from the suppliers of new lgear, without any joy. It seems the firms would rather smash them up for land fill, than allow it back on the market?
I have shot down most of thier excoses, such as safety conerns, but can't get pass this short sighted money grubing attitude or the fear they might actualy trade them back in again, wth any future update - What a load of Wally's!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: MartyW
Date Posted: 8/27/07 at 2:16pm
Letting the Smoke Out.... I use to work with an old fella from New Orleans... He introduced us to the concept of "Darn, Now it will never work, you done let the Smoke Out"... This was immediatly after one of the assistants was attempting to hook two wet cell batteries in series and actually wired, hot to hot and ground to ground!... Boy did that "let the smoke out"... Thanks for bringing back an old memory..

-------------
Marty W

"Till next we trod the boards.."

Date Posted: 8/27/07 at 10:21pm
That is one way to make a big bang statement,would have been interesting!
May have been hot enough to boil water in a paper bag, for a cuppa, while waiting for it to happen.

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 8/29/07 at 2:50am
 FROM TODAYS 'PLSN' - NEWS
English National Opera Calls to White Light for LDDE Fluorescent Battens

(4 colour fluro tubes for Cyc & Footlights [floats];-
 MIGHT BE SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT?

http://www.plsn.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2049&Itemid=1 - http://www.plsn.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2049&Itemid=1

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 9/03/07 at 12:08pm
I just registered at a GOBO site, which might be of use to the techies here.
There is a newly developed 'GOBO desisng visualiser tool there, to assist when producing GOBO's [aka BOGO"s];-
http://design.cablepick.com/gobo - http://design.cablepick.com/gobo

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 9/15/07 at 7:57pm
I was in the shower this morning & the phone rang - Oh Censored!
Completely wet [a normal condition] I answered it.
It was an old marra from the theatre, who I worked with for many a year.
Although he has been a lighting techie for gawd knows how long?
He asked me a basic question about Ohms Law.
After he rang off, as I was almost dry, I thought I'd have a bath anyway & try to think about this. How has he messed about with electrical stuff for ages without actualy understanding the basics of it?
After having thought long enough for the water became cool & to add more hot!
I wondered how if this was indeed the case with a lot of CT & PT theatre techies.
So as it look like rain, I thought I'd visit 'Club Tech' & sort of find out today! (Well that's my excuse for being in the fo'c'stle today!)

Here is an Ohms Law calculator & formula chart;-
http://www.angelfire.com/pa/baconbacon/page2.html - http://www.angelfire.com/pa/baconbacon/page2.html
That could be a handy tool to hang on to?
In fact if your insterested, most electrical equipment suppliers have a carry in the pocket card, as a free give away, which might be better than lugging around a pc!Wink
[This is of course is without prejudice to & not with  standing, the excelent S.M.O.K.E proposition put by loseph Lucus & the bell Labs]
{DISCLAIMER;- There is no consumption on my part, that Techies would not understand Ohms Law & practice in safe sets at all times! - But it may be of assistance to those wishing to venture into the  dark side!}

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 9/28/07 at 8:34pm
I have been dobbed in to run a stagecraft workshop for my group.
As they are all primarily actors/performers, I'm unsure what they would whant to get out of this workshop. Yes I have asked & only received the comments of 'theatre basics'?
As they are not techies, I don't want to bore them stupid or waste thier time.
So what would the members here think, actors may need to know on theatre & may even enjoy for a couple of hours.
We are doing characterisation & script writing workshops, with my effort stuck in between, during November.

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 9/28/07 at 9:46pm
 HAPPY BIRTHDAYS & Productions/Events
September 2007
Sunday
2  Birthdays Ken Shaw (53)
Monday
3  Birthdays anjanettehall (28), todat31313 (20)
Tuesday

4  Birthdays weirdsister (43)
Wednesday
5  Birthdays LINE_PLEEZE (42), sheilad58 (48)
Thursday

6  Birthdays arrick (38), Diva 41 (44), Eclectic (27), mickey (46) 
Saturday
8  Birthdays janingrace (49)
Sunday
9  Birthdays bennaynay (19), newburcj (62)
Monday

10  Birthdays neilfortin (24)
Tuesday
11  Birthdays Courtney (34), rjc0423 (54)
Auditions : The Music Man
Wednesday
12  Birthdays Holly (20), kiwiholly (20)
Thursday
13  Birthdays black box (50), Mariamaria (50)
Friday
14  Birthdays
Jim_L (46), Rebekah (26), whitebat (27)
Saturday
15  Birthdays Good Will (59), suzecue1 (53)
Sunday
16  Birthdays Joseph (58), JustMeAngel (37), laurielu (49)
Monday
17  Birthdays CTBumpkin (48), curlyblue (29), jenianydots (43), pdavis69 (38)
Tuesday
Wednesday
19  Birthdays Boredmember23 (44)
Thursday
20  Birthdays DIRJEN06 (41), VonCouch (23)
Friday
21  Birthdays jimfloyd (70), keionm (32), SallyBowlsfan (26)
Saturday
22  Birthdays emmyv05 (15)
Sunday
23  Birthdays brnidgrl (35), lizzyb (48)
Monday
24  Birthdays Laff (18), Point Blank (22), yacher (35)
Tuesday
Wednesday
26  Birthdays POB14 (46), Theatre13 (38)
Thursday

27  Birthdays MzGalinda (21), resetar (56), tashamay (23)
Neil Simon's RUMOR'S

Auditions "Don't Dress For Dinner"
Friday
28  Birthdays jpoesytil (19)
Deathtrap in Milford, Delware
Saturday
29  Birthdays Wilbur (7)
Legend of Sleepy Hollow

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 9/29/07 at 9:11pm
Chrcking out the latest 'Stage Directions' [EMag];-

http://stage-directions.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=53 - http://stage-directions.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=53

Part of the breaking news is an article [infoadd] on the jatest innovative & new piece of equipment now on the market,
The 'Swiveler';- http://www.creativestagelighting.com/products/swiveler.html - http://www.creativestagelighting.com/products/swiveler.html
Someones finaly updated the 'Turtle' .
Although I have no idea what they are worth, but for comeatre I think I would rather use the old Turtles, which I would imagine costs less than  the 'Swivelers' post & packaging?
I was hoping that the swiveler was some new fangled bit of gear, but it is only 'what;s old is new again' again!
I think a lump of 3 ply on skids, with a hole drilled in the centre, to take the lamps yoke bolt, still works as well!
Which makes me think that my 'Thwakers'   may need to be rediscovered?Embarrassed

Swiveler;-
http://www.creativestagelighting.com/products/swiveler.html - http://www.creativestagelighting.com/products/swiveler.html

However the new Dura-flex multi core cable looked interesting;-
http://www.dura-flex.com/ - http://www.dura-flex.com/

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: drose
Date Posted: 9/30/07 at 3:48am
Joe, as an answer to your earlier question:
 As an actor and occasional techie, my current interests lie in stage lighting design and set design. That's what I would like to learn about.  But for the average actor in a stagecraft workshop, it would be great to touch base on the time and effort the designers put in on a show.  Introduce some basic props creation techniques (aging paper to look like parchment, create a plaster mask, that sort of thing).  As for set techniques, building skills are always handy - door and window framing, bracing a flat, levels and squares (non-builders don't realize the importance),  and if there is interest, faux finish techniques.  Not just sponging or glazing, but aging with blow torches and hammers...the fun stuff.  I don't know if that's the kind of information you were looking for in your stagecraft question, but there you go.  Hope it didn't totally waste your time

Date Posted: 9/30/07 at 6:50am
That's great drose!
Exactly the input I need.
With only 2 hours, I should have mentioned it was more of a taster, with the hope of a door openers to further in depth workshops later.
So your suggestions will help!Thumbs%20Up
But it's great to find out what they might like to touch on.Big%20smile
I5 minutes is too long for them to sit on thier bronzes for any length of time. So I'll be getting them involved with rope work & even playing about with different lamps & clour gell, Might even get them to make a 'thwaker', a salt water lamp dimmer or even biol water in a paper bag. If they become totaly fidgety!
I doubt there will be any more than a handfull, as it is not really thier tea bag - but you know?
But thanks for your ideas, I was starting to think I was just whistling into the wind, with the Club Tech topic.Wink

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 10/01/07 at 12:57pm
ok, help me out on that last part...a salt water lamp dimmer?  Boiling water in a paper bag?  Clearly I'm even less of a techie than I thought!

Date Posted: 10/01/07 at 9:37pm
Ah drose I think you are too young to have been exsposed to the old P'ss pots [aka salt water dimmers] as they were lovingly known as.
They were a glass container with a steal plate & an active electrode attached, which sat in the bottom of the glas jar. It was filled with water & had salt added as  resistive medium. The theatre sparky would lower the negative cable into the salt brine & as the cables got closer to each other the lamp would get brighter. Inversly as the cables were drawn further away, the brightness is reduced.
They work but were hard to control & with a bank of them it became almost like a steam bath, in the dungeon of the theatre.
Also with evaporation, constant monitoring by adding water & ensuring the salt level, was an art.
It was a corrosive situation & atmospere, especialy with the skin, eyes & metal ware.
{Much like the Drummond [Limes] spot light & what it did to skin & lungs,]}
They devised some weird devices to lower the cable to give a smoother control. But it was not for the faint hearted or for those that could not stand a cardial heart massage occasionaly.
Not something you would want to mess around with these days.
I cut my teeth on these & even used them in my own little theatre, I made when growing up.
But they are a leathal bit of gear!Dead
My Great Uncle Joseph had them in the Tyne theatre/opera house he built. When he introduced electric incandescent lights thru his friend Joseph Swan, on Tyneside in the north east of England.
I only came across them at the Grand Theatre Byker, when I was was a wee kid. Because the Tyne Theatre became the Stoll Picture house, before I was spawned.
They apparently used cylinders of carbon as ewell, although I never came across them.
Bioling water in a paper bag is just that, and something I learnt as a Boy Scout.
I preffer using a brown paper back, as it has a better taste.
The trick is holding the bag over the fire as it's bioling, although gaffer tape handle works well.
These days I demonstrate it using an old coffee or bean can, filled with sand & petrol added to about 1/3  of the can. Which is better than an open fire & the bag easier to handle,
The water in the bag permiates & evaporates on the outside of the paper, so it never becomes combustable.
It works well & it is only the idea of it that is ilogical.

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 10/02/07 at 1:51am
Thats amazing!  I want to try both, just because its so amazing.  But I fear my tech director (who would automatically be drafted to help) would kill me.

Date Posted: 10/02/07 at 4:00am
The water dimmer is not good for the complextion either.
The paper bag billi tea is great, though it tastes a lot better, if you drop a gum leaf in the bag while bioling.
Although it does become very interesting, if you try to swing the paper billi  around your head 3 times. Like one does when using a billi can.

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 10/02/07 at 11:45pm
HAPPY BIRTHDAY all & CHOOKAS for the EVENTS. 
October 2007
Monday
Chuckk6 (59), MikeO (40), PatrickArmagh (40)
Tuesday
The Mikado (46)
Wednesday
chel (35)
Fools Theatre Actors Workshop
Thursday
brianwolters (37)
Friday
5 Broceli (19), Gypsie (17)
Saturday
6 DinaCruickshank (15)

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 10/04/07 at 12:49am
Thanks Joe!  It's nice to know that someone checks those things out!
-d/fools theatre

Date Posted: 10/04/07 at 4:51am
I feel these events become rather lost, which is probbably a good thing with birthdays, as I always try to forget mine!Shocked
I think  it may be better if the birthday & event items in the callender, popped up in the topics as a post, rather than  just a line on the  forum page!Lamp
It's not that I'm an old softy & sentimental about birthdays. I just think we lose why they were entered on the profiles in the first place.Confused

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 10/10/07 at 11:12am
HAPPY BIRTHDAY all
October 2007

Sunday
7  Birthdays DannyGoldenBoy (39)
Monday
8  Birthdays b_mcgowan (17), Ed Young (41), jcbjon (23), Jerry Garber (65), Libractress (28), MzzusByourself (40), PTTS (17), TimmyJP (17)
Tuesday
9  Birthdays curlydebra (17), STWBoxOffice (24)
Wednesday
10  Birthdays andrewmoyo2000 (40), draigfire (51), ictoos (44), jillc99 (49), MrPlays (54), pryncessangel (26), Ward (41)
Thursday
11  Birthdays Saty (19)
Friday
12  Birthdays gebbysmith (59)
Saturday
Sunday
14  Birthdays travsbluecar (37)

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 10/14/07 at 9:25pm

Monday
15     Birthdays Doodad (51)
Tuesday
16     Birthdays Juror #3 (62)
Wednesday
17     Birthdays angelsme (35), foursquare (38)
Thursday
18     Birthdays Mike Polo (43), TotoTooTheatre(46)
Friday
19     Birthdays bigtech (43), mommathes (43)
Saturday
20     Birthdays ghostlight (39), JanetElaineSmit(65)
Fools Theatre Murder Mystery

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 10/19/07 at 5:12am
This may help some techies who are near to tjis lighting workshop or is in a Group with enough bickies to send them?
Stage Directions;-
http://www.stage-directions.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=468&Itemid=1 - http://www.stage-directions.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=468&Itemid=1

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 10/19/07 at 8:14pm
Sunday
21     Birthdays seannn (37)
Monday
22     Birthdays kzahorodny (27)
Tuesday
23     Birthdays Purplerose1023 (54), turtle's mom (27), whalelvr32 (42)
Wednesday
24     Birthdays buzz_adams (58), memoryfaded (17)
Thursday
Friday
26     Birthdays annehenrich (43), B-M-D (52), ginamanning (44)
MCT© presents COCKTAILS WITH MIMI
Saturday
27     Birthdays JShieldsIowa (31)

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 10/21/07 at 6:47pm
Hey Joe!  Thanks for your committment to keeping us up to date, I really appreciate the time and effort.  Just wanted to let you know that we are out here paying attention.  FYI, our murder mystery (fools theatre, Oct. 20) went wonderfully and we are now writing two more for November and December bookings!

Date Posted: 10/21/07 at 10:22pm
Wotabewdy, fair dinkum bonza drose!
A small group in the bush here, do a similar thing, they have found it great to cion it in & turn the brass!
It was such a good cion spinner, they have branched out, to knobble in on the trourist quids now.
By linking up with the Hotham Valley Railroad, which is run by the railway historical society & operated by enthusiasts. They run tourtist train trips every weekend end to the south west of the State. So on each of the 5 or so long weekends each year, they include a M&M train excurstions, staying over night at a country town motel.
Like you they write thier own & save on paying out  royalties.
Although I believe they have branched out into M&M river cruises, from thier base near Mandurah, a holiday spot an hour or so, south of Perth.
With the M&M train trips, they have a deal with the motel & the local Bridgetown Reperatory Community theatre group. Who hire & fit out the M&M punters, with  period costumes, on the saturday afternoon the train arrives for the stop over at the motel.
The motel returns all the costumes cleaned & ironed to the comeatre group after the long wekend. So it is a win win situation all round.
They were thinking of going in to corporate team building training productions. But our money grubbing federal government, pulled the pin on tax consetions for corporate training. Because it cut down on the amout they could waste by spending on politicains & thier flunkies, with th[er 'Fact finding mission' junkets. But that might change as the our little Bush Wombat - Jonny Howard  & his cronnies - might get the big A, at the next pending election. Though I doubt it, as they are all tared with the same brush & only concerned with how much they can fill thier own deep  pockets.CensoredClown.

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 10/22/07 at 6:23am
I got this from the AACT front page which was part of  an article about community arts groups economic impact that your local production could generate.
This Arts mob over there worked out on the varing info you feed into it.
It'spossibly a load of twaddle but it might be usefull in order to baffle whoever you need to get the info across or just as a promotional tool;-
Prosperity Caculator'-
http://www.americansforthearts.org/information_resources/economic_impact/calculator.html - http://www.americansforthearts.org/information_resources/economic_impact/calculator.html

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: JoeMc
Date Posted: 10/26/07 at 12:03pm
News from "stage Directions;-
London Mayor Announces Campaign to Green Theatres;-
http://www.stage-directions.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=474&Itemid=1 - http://www.stage-directions.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=474&Itemid=1

I wonder if the Mayors Task force will be holding thier meetings in the theatre 'Green [common] room', from now on?

Posted By: Petermilli
Date Posted: 10/29/07 at 7:09pm
Hi I work at The Tyne Theatre we still have some pot dimers. not in use now! thay cant have been the first lighting as there is the remains of a gas system.

Date Posted: 10/29/07 at 8:50pm
Gday Peter & welcome - it's great to have another Geordie on the forum.
No I assume it would have been the gas system, except the Tyne theatre & Opera house, was the first venue in the North of England to be fitted out with an electric lights system.
When I was growing up there, it was a picture house  the 'Stoll'. So I never actualy worked there, as it was not converted back to a theatre, for some time after I came to Oz in 1960!
I would have thought the gas system would have been been taken out years before, when it became a picture house?
I can't remember if the Grand, that was on Byker Bank, had any remains of gas lighting, which still had the p*ss pots.  I never seen any gas pipes at the theatre  Royal either, but I was only 13 when I lwas last there.
I contacted the Tyne Theatre some years ago, when I was checking out my ancestors & the family tree bit.
Unfortunetly  they had  no information  on my Great Uncle Joseph Cowen, who built the theatre, even though his monument is just around the corner in front of Cowen House.
From what I was told by my family he got his old friend Joseph Swan, who developed  the longer life  incandescent globe on Tyneside, to have the theatre fitted out electricaly. Also I would not be surprised if he didn't roll up his sleaves & lay his own Cowen Fire Bricks in the building himself orginally some where, as a gesture?
He was quite a character at the time so it would not surprise me, although he was an MP & owner/ editor of the Newcastle Chronicle mewspaper, he alegedly used the shipments of his bricks to hide his gun running capers to Garibaldi & others.
I also believe in the miners riots against the police at Winlaton, the cannon the miners used, was furnished by him. Which was feasable as he put up the 10 thousand Pounds to start the Tyneside & scottish Regiment around  that same period.
I would have loved to have known him, but I was born 40 odd years after he died,

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
"Hear the light & see the sound!
TOI TOI CHOOKAS
{may you always play to a full house!}

Date Posted: 10/31/07 at 9:26pm
Sorry Gaafa has fallen down on the job -
Happy Birthday to all & Chookas for the Events;-
October 2007
Sunday
Monday
29  Birthdays evelyn50 (57), Ken W (57), KenW (57), mexicantheater (20), wynham (57)
Tuesday
30  Birthdays bkpick (49), JCBaggee (23), victhepope (29)
Wednesday
31  Birthdays Debflo (28), jtonner (57), OldGuy (64)
Fools Theatre presents Grave Readings
November 2007
Thursday
1  Birthdays ACT 1 Theater (52), BettyRizzo (22), JamesG (24), Margaret (70)
Friday
Saturday
3  Birthdays
grundy_man2000 (56), Lexemom (28)

Sunday
4  Birthdays Desperado (21), weact (38)
Monday
5  Picasso at the Lapin Agile, Ames Iowa
Tuesday
Wednesday
7  Birthdays tomothy (38)
Thursday
8  Birthdays Indyactor (54), mtgirl118 (15)
Friday
9  THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG at Sketch Club Players of
Saturday
10  Birthdays medora8773 (56)

Sunday
11  Birthdays wkinsel (46)
Monday
12  Birthdays KudzuJoe (48)
Tuesday
13  Birthdays accidentalplay (25), the8rlighter (20)
Wednesday
14  Birthdays claboy (55), DWStine (54), JaneyM (23), Kurt_Muller (62), WhirlieDrama (19)
Thursday
15  Birthdays natasha082 (27), totoks (65)
Friday
16  Birthdays b_marshall (26)
Saturday
Birthdays Playwright (55)

19Monday
Birthdays ahupke (48)

20Tuesday

21Wednesday

22Thursday
Birthdays dramaqueen (27)

23Friday
Saturday
24  Birthdays arjaywall (50), lsoderman (43)
Sunday
25  Birthdays ahmed55 (25), benhamtroll (36), Colin (60), danwest (44)
Monday
26  Birthdays akphones (27), JANE39 (40), raji45 (40)
Tuesday
27  Birthdays bbpchick (26)
Wednesday
28  Birthdays Charley (53)
Thursday
29  Birthdays andrewager (36), betzybetz (61)
Friday

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 11/01/07 at 1:12am
Well, you certainly picked up the slack!  (Hope Gaafa is alright?) Thank you for bringing the name and dates onto this page.  I don't think everyone makes it to the events page.  but just for the record, Fools Theatre's GRAVE READINGS (Oct. 31) was very well recieved.

Date Posted: 11/01/07 at 1:30am
That's great drose, had any feed back from the punters as yet?

As for gaafa he is fineOuch
I felt he was hoggingPig the forum too much [1K of the posts] So I thought he needs to be filed away for a while Embarrassed - untill he realises that it is far better to share around!Wink

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 11/01/07 at 6:58pm
You make me laugh.  I have an alter-ego on this forum...but I have forgotten her login password, so alas!  I have had to abandon her.  As for Grave Readings...well recieved, good reviews from trusted sources; so I'm hoping the word of mouth sells the tickets for the last two showings.  One of the pieces was my own, and it held its own in some very prestigious company (Poe and Noyes).  So I am very pleased.

Date Posted: 11/02/07 at 2:43am
with me it's more of an altered ego or could even be an Ultra one.
it came about with the great crash of the Greenroom a while ago now. After Chris & Mike managed to get the site working again. Which must of been a mamoth task, after being hit by a 'Hacker' getting thier jollys off.
I attempted to post as Gaafa again, but ended up registering as plain joe Mc instead.
It was undoubtably my fault, I probably put the MacHines into a 'Temporal Flux' or sent into a 'Hystereses Loop' at least. {I always thought for years that the first was a women thingy & state of mind, then the latter a contiseptive device?] But when my son set me up with his handmedown computer & updated me - Gaffa raised his ugly head again, it was amasing just like magic!Ying%20Yang
Not only but also, I had a clue in finding your lost AE mate by checking if she was registered on your birthday?Lamp
NBG your the only one celebrating in that monthCry - not long to go before you reach the big one now -Clap {although some yoyo's reckons it it's the new 20?Clown Weird I don't feel like 40, I wonder wot gum tree they are sitting in?Tongue}
Anyhow it's great your play did well!
The Poobah of our mob has writen a show 'Corpse cabaret' they are planning to do as the next production in '08, I talked her into directing it herself. But in the mean time she gone & got her self a job in America. I'm not sure where but it;s over there some place. I think it must be connected to theatre, as she has a degree in theatre from the local Uni.Question
She stepped into the breach recently when our President moved to the other side of the river. To date she has done a great job getting them all back on the tracks, pity she plans to evaporate.
Now they are all running around like chooks with thier heads chopped off, madly chasing a director from somewhere else!
I though I had engineered them to do thier own thing & be self contained from within. Strange what panic will do, as the first audition is on this Saturday, so why hit the big red button, they have heaps of time?Evil%20Smile
Anyhow 'Toi Toi Toi choookas' for the rest of the season drose.Star

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 11/02/07 at 12:09pm
The title:  Corpse Cabaret is very intriguing.  I'm a little bit glad she isn't directing it herself - for her sake.  Maybe it's my inexperience, but twice now I've directed full shows that I wrote and they were both very unpleasant experiences.  I find it very difficult to step back and let the actors do their job.  I have a very distinct image in my head for all "my" characters  - how they should move, act, talk, gesture...and it was nearly impossible for me to let the actors play and develope their own.  I think I managed to let go enough for the actors to feel good, but it was so hard for me!   I spent a lot of time feeling like the show sucked, because it wasn't EXACTLY what I pictured when I wrote it.  But in hindsight, the cast did a good job and I'm pleased that my work was able to stand up under "other" interpretations.  But Ohmygod!  I really don't like directing my own work!  (Except that I can cut it at will, and tease the actors with phrasing like, "I spoke to the playwrite and she agrees with me..."  I like doing that.)

On a completely different note.  I am working hard at developing my lighting design skills.  Anyone have any recommendations on lighting texts that aren't written for post-doctoral engineers?  Like a Stage Lighting for Dummies?  I have a mentor, but he isn't always available to answer my sometimes (annoyingly) basic questions about gels and focus.  I guess I'm a little more interested in the artistic aspects as opposed to the technical (ie. mathmatical...ick!) part, although I realize that I need both ends of the spectrum.

Date Posted: 11/02/07 at 9:52pm
The net is a great resource for lighting these days & a couple of the better sites are;-
Lighting for students by J E Saltzberg;-
http://www.stagelightingprimer.com/ - http://www.stagelightingprimer.com/

Stage Lighting Design 101by Bill Williams;-
http://www.mts.net/%7Ewilliam5/sld/sld-toc.htm - http://www.mts.net/%7Ewilliam5/sld/sld-toc.htm
You can't go to far wrong, as they are focused around the American stage & fixtures, you would normaly come into contact with. Which may assist you better because they use your supply low voltage & of course resulting higher current values. For safety reasons this a major factor in your situation.
Not from the design piont of view but a hands on techie enviroment.
Women have been making thier mark on Broadway, from as early as the 20's  as designers & still  are  today in a lot of theatres.
Although they tend to be thin on the ground in Comeatre. I believe mainly because most groups are hard pressed finding techies, they tend to hunt for blokes primarily & have a hang up when giving a female a go. Which offer a greater available catchment area in almost every community theatre group.
But things might slowly change, I hope with forums such as this.
Some of the better designers I have worked with have been from the fairer gender, but they shy away from the actual techie bit. I suppose when more females enter the various trades generaly, the attitude of groups will follow as well. But I hate to hang by thumbs untill we reach that Port.
I remember when I was lecturing in the electrical trades & the first female fronted up at the college, with Electrical Fitters Indentures in hand. I expected the other blokes to treat her  like men did historicly, when females dared to become doctors or type writers eons ago. But blokes being blokes, the other lectures hung around her like bees to a honey pot. Which didn't help the young lass only get her fellow male apprentices backs up & would of became quite ugly, if not for the attitude of the lass & the experiance she aquired working at a male dominated Mining Company in the far north west of the state.
With the two sites above you will probably find that Jeff is more perdantic technicly, while Bill is easy to grasp by a student, but that is only my opinion.
At times I have enjoyed getting up Jeffs nose by refering to lighting designers as techies. Unfortunetly he tends to bust a poopah valve over the term being applied, usualy with the a rebuke of "We in the USA theatre do not refer  to ourselves as common techies & being just tradesmen" ['come in spinner']. He would take the bait every time. But give him his due, he is well versed in his trade & aparently strives long & hard to impart his skills to the lesser mortals - So g'donya Jeff your dinkydie in the wool true blue!
But don't let me put my slant on which is probably up the preverable creek anyway, glean what assists you trundling down the this cobbled toepath.
When I was a wee bloke {although I'm still height impared - so nothing changes}I always remember being advised, when checking out a lighting colour state. To bend over with your back to the stage & view it quickly with head between your legs. To achieve a true colour optical view of it. It only works for a few seconds & then switch back to the normal & get vthe true colours for another short period. These days for me I'd only end up A over turkey on the deck. If nothing else it might put your weight up with others watching your antics, after they stop laughing. Then build kudos when you explain what your up to & why you are doing it?
At the least if you don't baffle with  science, you always resort to bulldust?
I will have to find out were young Mel is going to in the States, she will be the third member of our mob recently to go there. I wonder what the atraction is? It can't be just money! Wink
Two of them were founder members that have settled in Albuqueque  New Mexico two years ago, but one of them was a yank anyway & returned home with his aussie wife.
  I have not read Mels script as yet, but it is a musical on the rocky Horror Show style I believe. I will find out at the auditions this weekend & let you know drose.

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 11/03/07 at 4:05pm
Thank you.  I'll check them out asap.  I actually have a two week break after the 16th before I start another project, so I'll be able to spend some time on it then.  I do have to ask though:  are you serious about viewing he lights from between your legs? And if you are, what exactly is going on to make that position, however brief, a more accurate perception?  And does that mean then that the audience, after a few seconds loses their accurate perception when watching the production?  (Assuming, of course, that they ever had it in the first place...)

Date Posted: 11/03/07 at 9:55pm
Putting the complex into the simplex, the eye has 3 colour light receptors Blue, Green & Red called cones, these are conected by 3 rods to the brain, that does the process of mixing the differing colour hues, to give you the actual perceived colour of the reflected light your viewing.
This is also the same virtual principle of how a PAL colour TV camera & transmition monitor works.
By putting your head between your legs you reset the brains processor & for a short period of time, percieve the true colours of the bounced light on a setting. Then the old brain slacks off & settles down again into it's mundane mode. Not suggesting if you turn your TV monitor at home upside down, you will improve the colour reception. There again you might by dislodging the collected dust  or completly bugga it up?
However not being an optical medical bod or eye  specialist, that's my take on how the system works. But being visualy impared  on my left side, you could say I'm rather one eyed on the subject.

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 11/04/07 at 7:21am
Sorry drose on 'Corpse cabret' I was up the creek, as usual, without a Paddle.
Reading it thru today at the auditions, it is more of a Panto, with out the "He's behind you!" line in it.
Also with our Pres Mel going to the America, she has accepted a place at  a Performing Arts  Uni somewhere there.
However another founding member my old Welsh mate Hywell is off to the Edinborough Festival & the London West end to do a number of seasons.
It all started when a Pro Theatre Company in Perth, contacted him to help them out to finish thier season. As the shows Production manager had spat the dummy & left them in the lurch mid season.
So Hywell, who has only ever done amatuer theatre locally, with a few odd paid giggs.
Stepped in to help them out & take over the role as the Production manager [SM, Lighting & Audio as well].
The season finished last night & the show is off to adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney & back to perth for a return season.
however for the last 3 performances here, a representitive of the '08 Edinborough Festival in Scotland. Had been in the audiance for the last 3 shows & has invited & booked the production Company to perform the show there.
Also to do seasons in the London West End & for  other UK theatre seasons.
So opportunety can knock at any time anywhere, even in a tin pot venue at the  backside of the community theatre world, if your in it.
Hywell pronounced Howell, is retired & is about 62, slightly older than me. So it is great news for him & he at least will get paid to do a fee trip 'back home again to Cym [Wales]' before he falls of the perch & pops his glogs.
The show is 'The Two Old Queens';-

http://www.pacs.org.au/shows-blueroom.section/pages/showPage1FC3490.html - http://www.pacs.org.au/shows-blueroom.section/pages/showPage1FC3490.html

http://www.theatre.asn.au/production/2007/two_old_queens_the_blue_room - http://www.theatre.asn.au/production/2007/two_old_queens_the_blue_room

G'donya Hywell & chookas Mate!Big%20smile

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 11/04/07 at 8:37pm
Here is a new toy from Rosco which is innovatetive, if you wish to give moving inteligent lighting effect ago, by utalising your normal Profile lighting lamp fixtures;-
http://www.rosco.com/promotions/icue/index.html - http://www.rosco.com/promotions/icue/index.html
Instead of going down the costly road updating by buying the whole shabang from scratch. [I want half a dozen]Big%20smile
Also I picked up from Stage Directions Emagazine this;-
about Theatre hardware;-
http://www.bmisupply.com/spechdw.html - http://www.bmisupply.com/spechdw.html

With the new Rosco controlable mirror lamp attachment.
I can just remember when Strand Lighting introduced thier new 5 position  colour wheel, that was operated from  the Bio Box. Which was  a big step at the time  fitted to the Strand Patt 23 Profile, not that I can remember the introduction of the Pt  23 at all.
which proves the piont that if it hadn't been for Rock 'nRoll, happening when it did, we might still be playing about with just gobo's  in lanterns.

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 11/07/07 at 4:13am
This my be of interest if your in or near Canada?
'Stageline' new covered wings system, for outdoor shows;-
http://www.plsn.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2217&Itemid=1 - http://www.plsn.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2217&Itemid=1

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 11/09/07 at 10:04am
Well I have sort of nutted out what I'm doing for our 'Stagecraft' workshop?
If there is more than one who turns up, besides myself!
At least 4 would be good, so I can do my character shape thing to start off.
7;00pm By asking them to choose from a Square, Circle, Triangle or Star.
Which would be the best shape they perceive themselves to be & descibe thier choice at the end of the workshop.
{[this has nought to do with stagecraft - but it will give them something to think about?] it will be just my luck to have only 4 warm prop luvvies, who  all think themselves only Stars!}
7;15pm Stage positions diving the deck into it's basic 5 areas of Up, down, centre, left & right, then into 9 & 81 expanding to the apron, OP & PS of course.
If they are not yawning by then?
7;30pm Staging the box Show & explains the things available generaly backstage in the Fly's, Masking, Drapes & what's behind the pro arch. As well as the different types of staging & a wee potted history of theatre & how it sort of evolved.
[If they all are noddies by then, I'll get them off thier bums & give then a hank of rope each.
7;45pm Knots 1/2 dozen basic knots they would likely to use back stage, without getting into Lashing & whipping - unless I'm provoked! 
8:00pm End of the penny section & they can have a smokeo [10 minutes].
8:10pm Scenery parts of & how to make a Flat ect.
8:25pm Lighting & Colour the main types of fixtures they will come across, touch & colour thru demos. Also a bit of Ohmhs law.
8;40pm With my magi antenna I will choose at random a victim & guess what sign they choose, which will be always wrong. Then after the choosen one shows thier sign to eveyone. I like magic ask them to open an envelope, I pull out of my pocket. Of course it will reveal the same sign  that they have on thier hand, [boom boom]Big%20smile
I now give desciptions & explanations of the sign shape of the square - circle & triangle, which each have chosen & drawn on the plam of thier hand. I will aviod & excluding the star. That sign meaning I will leave till the very end of the workshop.
9:oopm End workshop
{then I evoporate & meld into the night, awaiting with smoke in hand, my driver/minder to arrive & pick me up - in true diva style.Tongue
I always like to pre plan knowing I will end up doing it off the cuff & going way beyond the time alotted anyway! 
But that's my mud plan, which should be boring enough for anyone, one would think!Wink

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 11/09/07 at 11:46pm
Sounds good! ...so, what do the shapes mean?  I'd tell you how I percieve myself, but I'm not sure I want to open that can of worms until I know the score.  This way I can remain discreetly silent if my choice is too far off the mark (or too close!Smile

Date Posted: 11/10/07 at 1:43am
The piont of it is there is no right or wrong, not even a score. It just makes them think of what type of personality they think they are, by looking in the mirror at thier own reflected image.
All I do is pick out the salient things they come up with, be they weird & wonderful.
Then give them back a precis of the outcome for each symbol/sign.
 Which it nearly every case of a group, fits in with what they perceive anyway. there is nothing like fence sitting, as long as it is not a barb wire fence, which can make ones eyes water.
With me while I started off as a square, over time I got the corners knocked off. To the piont I became more of a circle, After been knocked  around a bit, I went spinning in ever deminishing circles, eventualy ending up as virtualy a dot. Similar to the extinct 'Hawk Hawk Bird'! I suppose beginning a dot/spot, I know I'll deflate into a flat line - such is life!
the square I normaly associate with those back stage, the circle with  directors/producers & FOH, triangle  with actors, artistic, techies & solicitors. But that's only my thoughts?

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 11/20/07 at 7:18pm
Two Cirque du Soleil Zumanity Acrobats injured, 29 year old women loosing her grip on the ribbon & falling 15-25 feet to the stage during the silk ribbon ariel stunt. At the New York Hotel & Casino New york Tuesday.

http://www.plsn.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2274&Itemid=1 - http://www.plsn.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2274&It http://www.plsn.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2274&Itemid=1 - emid=1

Technicain Training week;'-
http://www.plsn.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2272&Itemid=1 - http://www.plsn.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2272&Itemid=1

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 11/21/07 at 7:25pm
If we have any community theatre techies from around Glendale Arizona?
[Found this add in the 'Front of House' Emag]
who are availble Dec - Feb this might interesr you & you can pick up a few bob or even $, working the Super Bowl '08;-
Might be worth a wee squint?

http://fohonline.com/index.php?option=com_classifieds&task=view&id=248 - http://fohonline.com/index.php?option=com_classifieds&task=view&id=248

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 11/22/07 at 7:01pm
Here is something 'NEW'?
'Light Break' could this mean it is a new way for lighting techies to have thier Smokeo's from now on? No such luck!
This company has reinvented something, I can remember playing about with back in the 1950's & I'm sure it was an age old device then!
http://www.lightbreak.com/ - http://www.lightbreak.com/

Blimey how inovative is that - not very!
Sure it is a wee bit more up market than just pierced bits of tin or  plywood creating paterns, straped on a fresnel [soft edge] spot - but they will obviously flog a few, so in that regard it's a new way to make a few Sov's.
Why didn't I market that & turn a few bob?
Except I doubt I'd have the gawl to even think of doing it!
But good luck to them!
[Ithink Prof Stan McCandless (USA) & Francis Read (UK) would have refered to it in thier books of the 1920's&40's}]

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 11/27/07 at 4:02am
Here is the latest Lighting Tool design model toy available, I picked up in this months PLSN EMag;-
http://www.seelightbox.com/ - http://www.seelightbox.com/

Video of Lightbox in operation;-
http://www.seelightbox.com/public_html//video.htm - http://www.seelightbox.com/public_html//video.htm

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 12/04/07 at 7:34pm
ANSI (standards) is having a couple reviews concerning the Entertainment Theatre Industry.
Which may be of interest to techies to respond;-
Glycol Fog, smoke & mist standards meeting;-
http://www.plsn.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2321&Itemid=1 - http://www.plsn.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2321&Itemid=1

Public reviiew of followspot positions;-
http://www.esta.org/tsp/documents/public_review_docs.php - http://www.esta.org/tsp/documents/public_review_docs.php
All in PLSN Emag;-
http://www.plsn.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1 - http://www.plsn.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 12/14/07 at 4:15am
TO ALL HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
CHOOKAS FOR THE EVENT
December 2007
Saturday
1  Birthdays brenda (50), DannyGilx (40)
Sunday
2  Birthdays ericfwise (46), ijejune (46), KPHS Drama (57), KPITS (57)
Monday
3  Birthdays emilya (61), JClairUSF (28), John G (55), LisaJ (36)
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
6  Birthdays JackScottHSM (17), John Gleason (51), MRichards999 (29), organ grinder (75), Tjelvar (28)
Friday
7  Birthdays krisk71 (36), Tom_Rylex (35)
Saturday
8  Birthdays Norma (31), SteveC44us (49)
Sunday
9  Birthdays adamblast (49), PropMaster123 (18)
Monday
10  Birthdays hollie_26 (28), Nasim (26), velcroqueen (51), VPA1 (54)
Auditions: The Glass Menagerie
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
13  Birthdays bluedingo (45), griffincousteau (38)
Friday
14  Birthdays DColemanfilm (24), LoraB (40)
Saturday
15  Birthdays drose (39)
Sunday
16  Birthdays Amandala (26), Mykel (55)
Monday
17  Birthdays decafjake (34)
Tuesday
18  Birthdays mm1218 (47)
Wednesday
19  Birthdays dilipv (22), jcorkran (55), Theatrerat (60), Unclepeter (60)
Thursday
20  Birthdays john (34)
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
23  Birthdays autiger63 (44), bbott (66), James R (44), R. Muse (54)
Monday
24  Birthdays cpnc (57), jcoover (47), s.o.b. theater (43)
Tuesday
25  Birthdays KING TROOPER (37), shanise (30)
MERRY CHRISTMAS
Wednesday
26  Birthdays Anne (70), Texas Tornado (67)
Thursday
27  Birthdays Nyria (32)
Friday
28  Birthdays Dustmac (36)
Bah Humbug - murder mystery dinner
Saturday
29  Birthdays Majicwrench (48), mukroc (55), sheepy (19)
Sunday
30  Birthdays ElizabethR (43), MLowellHoward (38)
MCT© Presents AN EVENING OF IMPROV!
Monday
31  Birthdays suzaru (61), Traitor800 (21)

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 12/14/07 at 11:35pm
Here is a christmas present that one might like to be added to  thier theatre xmas list!
{Got this from another site}

http://www.dfd.com/pdf/shokdata.pdf - http://www.dfd.com/pdf/shokdata.pdf

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 12/31/07 at 5:32pm

HAPPY HOGMANAY!

&
Ne'erday 2008!

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 1/16/08 at 5:53am
This may interest those members near 'DC'?
http://www.round-house.org/education/sarahplay.php - http://www.round-house.org/education/sarahplay.php
As i got from the SM Network disscussion board, I assume, not having read it completly, that it is for Techies primarily, to be mentored during a production.
[I don't know if costs or not?]
{not sure what DC is, except as related to 'AC' or it might mean that place called washington?}Wink
However if your interested why not jump in for your chop! 

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 1/16/08 at 8:21pm
If you find you may have nothing better to do, have ago at your  personality type test here;-
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp - http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Test explained;-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-briggs - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-briggs

I'm
I N F J
Strength of the preferences %
28 31 12 33
{which is all probaly mumbo jumbo to me?]

• moderately expressed introvert
  • moderately expressed intuitive personality
  • slightly expressed feeling personality
  • moderately expressed judging personality

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 1/18/08 at 8:54pm
For those interested;-

Attention!
Riggers and Rigging Companies - Lighting, Sound, Stage, & Scenery Companies
Inspectors, Consultants, Engineers, & Architects - Contractors and Installers
Venue Owners and Managers - College and University - Students, Staff, and Professors -
Manufacturers - IATSE Members

Please Mark Your Calendar!

2008 Schedule

Las Vegas
NV

Atlanta
GA

Chicago
IL

Seattle
WA

March 10-13 2008

April 28-May 1 2008

July 14-17 2008

October 6-9 2008

Rigging Seminars is the largest and longest-established entertainment rigging training program in North America.

Who should sign up for Rigging Seminars?
Beginners and advanced riggers find the classes valuable, practical, and immediately useful.

What will you learn at Rigging Seminars?
Learn safe and efficient rigging techniques for sound, lighting, video, scenery, and special effects. 

Where can you apply what you learn at Rigging Seminars?
You can apply what you learn to productions staged at theatres, circuses, arenas, stadiums, schools, hotels, museums, conference centers, outdoor venues, and studios.

Who teaches at Rigging Seminars?
Rigging Seminars is taught by three of the most experienced entertainment rigging instructors in America. They literally wrote the books on rigging! 

Instructors:
Atlanta – Bill Sapsis and Harry Donovan will teach a combined stage and arena rigging course.
Seattle – Jay O. Glerum and Harry Donovan will teach a combined stage and arena rigging course.
Las Vegas & Chicago – Harry Donovan will teach intensive arena rigging classes.

http://www.riggingseminars.com/instruct.html - Click here for detailed bios on our instructors.

Don’t hesitate! Register roday!

https://xenoscience.com/rigging/register_online.html - Click here to go immediately to our online registration.

Need more details on hotels, our refund policy or other Information on Rigging Seminars?
http://www.riggingseminars.com/signup.html - Click Here

Questions?  E-mail us at:
mailto:riggingseminars@mac.com - riggingseminars@mac.com .

mailto:riggingseminars@earthlink.net -
Rigging Seminars
2416 Third Ave. West 
Seattle WA 98119
ph 206-283-4419
or Fax to:  206-282-9362
Toll-free: 888-248-8491

You received this email because we have an existing business relationship. You are a subscriber to Projection, Lights and Staging News. Periodically, we will inform our subscribers of special offers and new products from third party mailers pertaining to your profession or possible interests.

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 5/28/08 at 3:51am

This may interest those who are theatre Sparkies or would like to be.
By the look of the agenda it is a basic electrics course, in most cases this is covered normally. in the first years of an apprenticeship.Confused
But I think it is probably of more value as a networking opportunity - in this game.

The New York Electricians Training Seminar 2008:
July 15-17, 2008
held at I.A.T.S.E Local 764

Presented by ETCP Recognized Trainer Richard Cadena
The Night Life is Optional – the Fun and Learning is Not
https://plsn.webex.com/ - Enroll in Richard Cadena 's seminar today.

This is an exclusive 3 day event!
Join ETCP Recognized Trainer Richard Cadena in the heart of New York for three days of fun and learning. We will cover the theory and practice of entertainment technology for the working electrician.

• Day One: Theory & Fundamentals of Electricity
    1. DC & AC Electricity
    2. Impedance
    3. AC Power
    4. Phase angles
    5. Power Factor
    6. Three-Phase Power
    7. Balancing Three-Phase Loads

• Day Two: Practical Power Distribution
    1. Electricity Safety
    2. NFPA 70E
    3. Lockout/Tagout
    4. Arc Flash/Arc Blast
    5. Overcurrent Protection
    6. Branch Circuits
    7. Grounding
    8. GFCI’s
  • Day Three:
    1. Networking
    2. Ethernet
    3. DMX512-A
    4. RDM • ACN
    5. AND MORE!

This course counts towards renewal credits for ETCP Certified Electricians

Richard%20Cadena
Richard Cadena
ETCPAbout Your Presenter — Richard Cadena
Richard Cadena, editor of PLSN magazine, is well-respected thought leader and consultant, as well as an ETCP recognized trainer. He is the author of: Focus on Lighting Technology, Automated Lighting: The Art of Science of Lighting Design for Modern Houses of Worship. As a lighting designer he completed designs for dozens of projects, toured as a lighting director and consulted on a variety of lighting, scenic and projection installations and their performances. As editor of PLSN Richard is a portal for industry news and information. His unique style and inventive sense of humor make his seminars amusing as well as highly informative and educational.

PLSN%20University

The New York Electricians Training Seminar in New York 2008 will be held at I.S.A.T.E. Local 764 in New York.

Cost:$675 or $600 with courtesy discount for USITT or ESTA membership

https://plsn.webex.com/ - Register Now!

This course counts towards renewal credits for ETCP Certified Electricians

If you have additional questions, please e-mail mailto:university@plsn.com - university@plsn.com ,
visit http://www.plsn.com/university - www.plsn.com/university or call 512.280.0384
Space is limited so register today!

This newsletter was sent to HYLAS@IINET.NET.AU. You received this email because we have an existing business relationship. You are a subscriber to either Projection, Lights and Staging News, FRONT of HOUSE, or Stage Directions. Periodically, we will inform our subscribers of special offers and new products from third party mailers pertaining to your profession or possible interests.

If you were forwarded this message and would like to be added to our e-mailing list, you must be a subscriber to our magazine(s). http://plsn.com/subscribe - Click here to subscribe .
If you would like to remove HYLAS@IINET.NET.AU from our e-mailing list,
http://timeless-com.com/unsubscribe.php?email=HYLAS@IINET.NET.AU&mag=plsn - click here to unsubscribe .
mailto:subscriptions@plsn.com?subject=Inquiry%20from%20a%20PLSN%20Newsletter%20recipient - Questions/Comments?

© 2008 Timeless Communications, Corp.
6000 S. Eastern Ave. Suite 14-J Las Vegas, NV 89119
P: (702) 932-5585 • F: (702) 932-5584

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Date Posted: 6/07/08 at 1:44am

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS
For those Techies in the US that may be interested - this is a free invite.
So jump in for your chop!
If nothing else it may give you some interesting insight with developments in the lighting game?
http://w -
< name=> http://www.chauvetlighting.com - http://www.chauvetlighting.com/interstatetour/final/interstatetourfront.html - http://www.chauvetlighting.com/interstatetour/final/interstatetour.html -

CHAUVET LIGHTING New Product Email List.
This message was brought to you based on your expressed interest in CHAUVET LIGHTING PRODUCTS. If you do not wish to receive future information from CHAUVET LIGHTING on products and services, it is easy to unsubscribe from future mailings, click >>>
http://www.csilive.net/chauvet/resub.asp - UNSUBSCRIBE

Date Posted: 6/09/08 at 9:15pm

Also visit: http://www.riggingbooksandprograms.com/ - Rigging Books and Programs

http://www.riggingseminars.com/">Rigging%20Seminars http://www.riggingseminars.com/operate.html">Principles%20&%20Operation
http://www.riggingseminars.com/instruct.html">About%20Instructors http://www.riggingseminars.com/signup.html">
Attention!
Riggers and Rigging Companies - Lighting, Sound, Stage, & Scenery Companies
Inspectors, Consultants, Engineers, & Architects - Contractors and Installers
Venue Owners and Managers - College and University - Students, Staff, and Professors -
Manufacturers - IATSE Members

Please Mark Your Calendar!

2008 Schedule

Chicago
IL

Seattle
WA

July 14-17 2008

October 6-9 2008

Rigging Seminars is the largest and longest-established entertainment rigging training program in North America.

Who should sign up for Rigging Seminars?
Beginners and advanced riggers find the classes valuable, practical, and immediately useful.

What will you learn at Rigging Seminars?
Learn safe and efficient rigging techniques for sound, lighting, video, scenery, and special effects. 

Where can you apply what you learn at Rigging Seminars?
You can apply what you learn to productions staged at theatres, circuses, arenas, stadiums, schools, hotels, museums, conference centers, outdoor venues, and studios.

Who teaches at Rigging Seminars?
Rigging Seminars is taught by the most experienced entertainment rigging instructors in America. They literally wrote the books on rigging! 

Instructors:
Seattle – Jay O. Glerum and Harry Donovan will teach a combined stage and arena rigging course.
Chicago – Harry Donovan will teach an intensive arena rigging class.

http://www.riggingseminars.com/instruct.html - Click here for detailed bios on our instructors.

Don’t hesitate! Register roday!

https://xenoscience.com/rigging/register_online.html - Click here to go immediately to our online registration.

Need more details on hotels, our refund policy or other Information on Rigging Seminars?
http://www.riggingseminars.com/signup.html - Click Here

Questions?  E-mail us at:
mailto:riggingseminars@mac.com - riggingseminars@mac.com .

mailto:riggingseminars@earthlink.net -
Rigging Seminars
2416 Third Ave. West 
Seattle WA 98119
ph 206-283-4419
or Fax to:  206-282-9362
Toll-free: 888-248-8491

This newsletter was sent to HYLAS@IINET.NET.AU. You received this email because we have an existing business relationship. You are a subscriber to Projection, Lights and Staging News. Periodically, we will inform our subscribers of special offers and new products from third party mailers pertaining to your profession or possible interests.

If you were forwarded this message and would like to be added to our e-mailing list, you must be a subscriber to PLSN Magazine. http://plsn.com/subscribe - Click here to subscribe .
If you would like to remove HYLAS@IINET.NET.AU from our e-mailing list,
http://timeless-com.com/unsubscribe.php?email=%5B%5BEaddress%5D%5D&mag=plsn - click here to unsubscribe .
mailto:subscriptions@plsn.com?subject=Inquiry%20from%20a%20PLSN%20Newsletter%20recipient - Questions/Comments?

© 2008 Timeless Communications, Corp.
6000 S. Eastern Ave. Suite 14-J Las Vegas, NV 89119
P: (702) 932-5585 • F: (702) 932-5584

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
TOI TOI CHOOKAS

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info