Print Page | Close Window

Audience backstage during intermission?

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Producing Theater
Forum Name: Acting
Forum Discription: Q&A about auditions, character development and other aspects of the craft
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2299
Printed Date: 4/28/24 at 1:58am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Audience backstage during intermission?
Posted By: Patrilla
Subject: Audience backstage during intermission?
Date Posted: 3/12/07 at 8:27am
What do you guys think about audience members coming backstage and socializing during intermission? Is that a common practice? 

Replies:
Posted By: Mike Polo
Date Posted: 3/12/07 at 8:59am
In my experience, this usually happens when other members of the organization are in the audience and want to see someone they are friendly with who is working on the show. Is it common? Depends on the group. I tend to chase off backstage wanderers from my shows. I'd prefer that my cast and crew aren't distracted.

-------------
Mike Polo
Community Theater Green Room
http://www.communitytheater.org
http://www.twitter.com/CTGreenRoom">

Posted By: POB14
Date Posted: 3/12/07 at 9:09am
No.  No no no.  No no no no no no no no no.

Or, to be more direct about it:

NO!

-------------
POB
Old Bugger, Curmudgeon, and Antisocial B**tard

Posted By: Nanette
Date Posted: 3/12/07 at 9:10am

Having audience members backstage at any time is a "no-no" in my book.  Whether they know someone backstage or or not, the audience should stay in the common areas.  There are simply too many things that could happen ... props get moved, cast gets distracted, an audience member could get hurt, etc.  We don't even let parents backstage unless they're working back there during the show, and then they need to be where they are assigned.  There's plenty of time to meet and greet after the show with the cast and crew. 

-------------
In a world of margarine, be butter!

Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 3/12/07 at 11:39am
Backstage being the domain of the stage manager, from the allocated time of the ‘call’ until the ‘all clear’ after the show.
Anyone needs to have the SM’s permission to go back stage, that goes for the Director/Producer & the FoH Manager.
Inversely the same courtesy is afforded to the front of house Manager before, during & after the show until the house clearance is given.
I have rather enjoyed at times asking well known dignitaries to leave the back stage area &/or wait at the stage door. Which included a Leftenant Governor, Lord Mayor, Producers, Directors & Theatre Executives to mention just a few.
No matter what my role in the show, I always seek permission, if I wish to go back stage.

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: Shatcher
Date Posted: 3/12/07 at 12:03pm
As a SM I will say that NO ONE not in the company of the show is alowed backstage. No one, ever. and not after the show for at least 15 or 20 min after curtian. It is just rude to invite people back when others are trying to prepare or unwind.

Posted By: DWolfman
Date Posted: 3/12/07 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Mike Polo

I'd prefer that my cast and crew aren't distracted.

Originally posted by POB14

No.  No no no.  No no no no no no no no no.

Originally posted by Nannette

. . . a "no-no" in my book.

Originally posted by Gaafa

I have rather enjoyed at times asking well known dignitaries to leave the back stage area.

Originally posted by Shatcher

It is just rude to invite people back when others are trying to prepare or unwind. 

Originally posted by DWolfman

Ditto with an earsplitting howwwlll.

-------------
Even a man who is pure of heart...

Date Posted: 3/12/07 at 6:38pm
Well, thanks for the answers. One actor seemed bothered that two guys kept trying to talk to her about her performance at intermission.  Some of the cast said they had never heard of people coming backstage at intermission so I was just curious.

Posted By: JShieldsIowa
Date Posted: 3/13/07 at 2:44am

I think it's very inappropriate to have non-cast/crew backstage before a show, during intermission or immediately following a performance.  I had one guy who came back stage after a show I directed.  It was supposedly to congratulate the cast.  Funny how he only talked to people in front of the ladies dressing rooms.  Since then, if I'm stage managing, directing or front of house manager - NO ONE is allowed back stage EVER unless it's cleared with the SM or director.  That is the actors private area.  They need to know their belongings, props, etc are safe and secure.  Some don't want any distractions.  Regardless, I think it's completely unnecessary.  People can wait in the lobby until the performers come out.

Posted By: eveharrington
Date Posted: 3/14/07 at 2:49am
I have to say no to intermission visits, it's still the middle of the show, it distracts performers and it can't be good for the audience members enjoyment of the second half.

-------------
"If nothing else, there's applause... like waves of love pouring over the footlights."

Posted By: pammat
Date Posted: 3/14/07 at 2:26pm
As an actor, I have to say that when I was in a show in a theatre that allowed (or at least overlooked) people coming backstage at intermission, it was just awful.  Too loud, too distracting, and too nonprofessional.  Yick.

Posted By: EddyZ
Date Posted: 3/15/07 at 12:08am
Heck, if I go to see a show involving people I know, I leave them completely alone before and at intermission -- they've got enough to do and to worry about with me getting in the way.  Simple, semi-professional courtesy.  (Now, mind you, if one of them comes up to me beforehand or at intermission, I'll say my hellos and chat, but it's _their_ call, not mine.) Afterwards, only once I'm sure they're "done" and I'm not going to be interrupting anything, I'll greet them.

If I'm working a show, I'd prefer *not* to be interrupted beforehand or at intermission, just the same.  I gots stuffs to do!

-------------
EddyZ
http://webpages.atlanticbb.net/~ezahurak/ - http://webpages.atlanticbb.net/~ezahurak/
http://www.nailsouptheatre.com - www.nailsouptheatre.com/

Posted By: Director1
Date Posted: 3/17/07 at 12:10pm
Friends coming backstage is bad enough (and should be forbidden---the actors should be allowed to focus on their work)... but talking to an actor about his or her performance during the show?????

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Posted By: lwood
Date Posted: 3/18/07 at 8:28pm
hate it. hate it hate it hate it when people come backstage during intermission.
even in kids theater when its just the parents, its so distracting having extra people back there, especially when the dressing rooms are already crowded, and it just makes it too chaotic.

Date Posted: 3/18/07 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by lwood

hate it. hate it hate it hate it when people come backstage during intermission.
even in kids theater when its just the parents, its so distracting having extra people back there, especially when the dressing rooms are already crowded, and it just makes it too chaotic.

Oh my goodness - parents backstage during a show is a nightmare!  I allowed one man to do that and it was a huge mistake.  He would bring soda, coffee, food, etc backstage - even after telling him and the cast repeatedly that was not allowed.  I feel that if parents think their children are old enough to be in a show - they don't need to be backstage.  I always make sure there is an adult backstage with the kids as a monitor - but it isn't a parent of any of the kids.  Most of the parents that raise a stink about it drop their kids off at rehearsals and leave them - why should it be different during a show?  They can sit in the house or lobby and wait if they're concerned!

Posted By: TimW
Date Posted: 3/24/07 at 5:52pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

The idea that added distractions arriving durring a show, intermission is still the show, is crazy. There is to much to do, the actors like to unwind, ( or rehearse an upcoming scene), etc.   

Posted By: B-M-D
Date Posted: 3/26/07 at 12:55pm
NO EFFING WAY.  NOT ON MY SHOW FOR ANY REASON UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.  

-------------
BD

"Dying is easy, comedy is hard."

Posted By: Juror #3
Date Posted: 4/02/07 at 1:28pm
Shocked  Absolutely not!  It not only kills the illusion that the people on stage are not themselves, but another person, but it also takes the actor out of any level of concentration he or she might have had.  Our actors are either back in the dressing rooms or remain backstage while the audience goes to the area where we have refreshments (and where the restrooms are).

-------------
Juror #3

Posted By: theGeneral96
Date Posted: 4/06/07 at 2:54pm
NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope that's concise enough. As an actor, I hate having anyone not involved with THAT EVENINGS performance in the backstage or dressing room. Should never happen. After the show, if they are INVITED and the rest of the cast and crew AGREES, then it shouldn't be an issue. But NEVER during the show.Star

-------------
It's been Surreal!

Posted By: avcastner
Date Posted: 4/11/07 at 11:19pm

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!  (For all the reasons listed above.)

The only exception I make is the one professional hairdresser mom that helps the girls get ready.  That's it.  I even post "security" at all entrances to the backstage.  Occasionally, as the adult supervisor I've had to intervene with a situation, but just the presence of some big ushers standing like Roman soldiers in front of the portals usually does the job.

-------------

Posted By: moondance
Date Posted: 4/23/07 at 2:32pm
Never is a person not directly involved with a show allowed backstage.  Ever.
Question along the same lines.  Do you allow your actors to go out to the lobby after curtain still in costume?

Date Posted: 4/23/07 at 3:53pm
Question along the same lines. Do you allow your actors to go out to the lobby after curtain still in costume?[/QUOTE]

Do we ALLOW it, hell no, we REQUIRE it.   

-------------
"If nothing else, there's applause... like waves of love pouring over the footlights."

Posted By: jphock
Date Posted: 4/23/07 at 5:57pm
Absolutely no one that is not involved with the production is ever allowed in the 'stage' area...including directly back stage. Ever!!!

Most theaters I work with, however, do allow guests into a green room or meet and greet area (the name and location varies depending on the theater--sometimes it's the lobby) after the performance to mingle with the cast who normally remain in costume.

Date Posted: 4/23/07 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by eveharrington

Question along the same lines. Do you allow your actors to go out to the lobby after curtain still in costume?

Do we ALLOW it, hell no, we REQUIRE it.    [/QUOTE]

Not in costume. We sometimes go out to greet patrons, friends, family, etc. after the show, but not in costume OR character. The only exception is our Gala Night, an additional fundraiser for our group. The actors are required to mingle in costume with the patrons after that show. That's only once a year however.

-------------
It's been Surreal!

Posted By: POB14
Date Posted: 4/24/07 at 9:14am

Question along the same lines. Do you allow your actors to go out to the lobby after curtain still in costume?

I hate that.  I won't do it.  Even when I'm told it's a theatre tradition, everybody does it, the audience expects it . . . I still don't do it.

-------------
POB
Old Bugger, Curmudgeon, and Antisocial B**tard

Date Posted: 4/24/07 at 1:26pm
I don't like that either, for a couple reasons -

I feel like the receiving line sort of thing feels like the cast is going out simply to get accolades for their performances.  It's really awkward if the show was a bomb...

I also don't like that as cast tends to go out in costume.  Whether you tell them to or not - some of them end up out in the lobby with costume, eating, drinking, smoking, etc.  I won't tell you how many times I've had costumes ruined or had to be run for an emergency cleaning due to actors getting excited meeting their "public".  If they have friends in the audience, the friends will wait for a little bit while they change their clothes and can come out to personally meet them.  If that expectation is set early on - there are no surprises!

Posted By: Chris Polo
Date Posted: 4/24/07 at 6:24pm
We require it, too. I really hated it when I first started at our theater; I eventually got used to it (i.e., it's no longer excruciatingly embarrassing), but I'd do away with it in a heartbeat. But I already helped kill off one tradition when I first started directing (the curtain speech, hated that too -- it always seemed like the director's chance to say "Look at me! Look at me! I'm the DIRECTOR!"), so somebody else will have to take on the lobby parade.

The only thing that makes going out to the lobby tolerable is yet another of our traditions (one I like): actors and crew get their choice of libation from the bar then, and it's on the house. I usually make a beeline for the bar and just hang there instead of doing the receiving line thing. I'd rather look like a lush than look like I'm desparately begging people to say something about my performance.

-------------
Chris Polo
Visit Community Theater Green Room Originals at www.cafepress.com/ctgr
"The scenery in the play was beautiful, but the actors got in front of it." -- Alexander Woolcott

Date Posted: 4/25/07 at 11:51am
I do not allow my actors in the lobby in costume. too many chances to ruin the costume. I also feel it takes away from the show in a small way, the show is on the stage not in the lobby. Now that is not to say it should never happen. I have done shows where some cast in the lobby or house before curtian was part of the show. We did this for Rocky Horror, the chorus was dressed and in the house the whole time playing with the patrons. They do not speak in the show so they could not speak during the pre show.

Date Posted: 4/26/07 at 1:28am
I don't like it either, for most of the reasons above, I hate standing there like, "hey say something nice about me" also I'm a rather well-endowed female and I end up getting hugged by all kinds of random dirty old men I've never even met.

-------------

Posted By: Topper
Date Posted: 4/26/07 at 10:06am

... I'm a rather well-endowed female and I end up getting hugged by all kinds of random dirty old men I've never even met.

Where and when is your next show?

-------------
"None of us really grow up. All we ever do is learn how to behave in public." -- Keith Johnstone

Date Posted: 4/26/07 at 2:02pm
I did stock one summer in this tiny Wi town and we has to do a reciving line after every show. Producer called it the enjoyed it line. We called it the kiss my butt line. It was always in full dress outside, the cast would exit the stage from call through the house and right to the line. The actors hated it.

Posted By: DramaTrauma
Date Posted: 4/26/07 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Shatcher

I did stock one summer in this tiny Wi town and we has to do a reciving line after every show. Producer called it the enjoyed it line. We called it the kiss my butt line. It was always in full dress outside, the cast would exit the stage from call through the house and right to the line. The actors hated it.

Is this a popular practice? I saw a show in NJ where the cast did this - full dress, immediately following curtain call. Very awkward, couldnt get past them without saying something as they were lined up right by the door. I hope that theater's abandon this tradition. It's quaint, I guess, but so lame.

Date Posted: 4/26/07 at 10:47pm
It is uncomfortable. But what can you do if it is the policy of the theater? If you don't go out, then you're a "diva" or hard to work with, etc.

Posted By: Playwright
Date Posted: 5/17/07 at 9:36pm
This is a question somewhat along the same lines.  How about a director backstage before the show and during intermission.  I actually when I stage managed kicked a director out from backstage and the greenroom.  He kept on giving notes to the actors and he even went as far as to stick post-it notes backstage.  I ripped all these down of course.  The cast was very upset and distressed at the dirctor's constant presnece so I asked him to leave and told him he could only come to the green room after the show.  He was very nasty about it and said it wasn't my show, it was his show and he had every right to do as he pleased.  I held fast to my convictions and still 'kicked him out'.  This is the only time in all my years of doing theatre that I've had this problem. 

Date Posted: 5/17/07 at 11:43pm
I know where you're coming from. As an actor it's discouraging to be told your performance insn't up to par, especially when you think you're having a great one! We had a director show up at intermission and proceed to tell us to get our energy up and things like that. The Director thought they were being helpful, but it just made us actors self-consious of our performances.

-------------
It's been Surreal!

Posted By: red diva
Date Posted: 5/18/07 at 9:43am
At the risk of seeming redundant......NYET!  NO!  NON!  NEIN! to allowing audience members/friends/etc. backstage at intermission.  A particular gripe of mine is cast members that allow (or invite) their young, noisy, active, and (dare I say it) obnoxious children into the dressing room to spend intermission "entertaining" the cast.  What are they thinking?  Oh, wait....I guess they're not.

Our dressing rooms are downstairs, adjacent to the reception room where audience members come at intermission for refreshments and bathrooms.  If they come down before a show to use the facilities (and there aren't too many that do), there is always a chance that they might run into an actor in costume.  We're fairly comfortable with that, as those that don't want that to happen stay in the dressing rooms.  We don't require actors to stay in the dressing room before the show, but do at intermission (or they can choose to stay backstage). 

I have a real problem with theatres that prohibit actors from greeting friends, families, and admirers from the audience in costume.  These people have come down, in many cases, to offer the actors QUICK congratulations, and often will leave before seeing the actors if they are in the dressing room changing, perhaps thinking that they aren't coming out.  I think it's a bit inconsiderate to make those people who support your theatre by donations and ticket purchases wait while cast members perform sometimes lengthy costume changes.  A university theatre that I've worked at even requires the actors to remove make-up before greeting visitors!  How rude is that? 

Since the performers in our shows have to go through the reception area to get to the dressing rooms, it is a simple matter for them to wait for a few minutes in that area until the audience comes downstairs to see them.  I don't think it destroys the illusion that the actors have created on stage because the show is over and the make believe is no more!

And as for receiving lines?  UGH!!!  As both an actor and an audience member, I find them repugnant.  I hate to feel that I'm forcing the audience to say something nice to me.  And I hate to feel that I'm being forced to say something nice to the actors!

-------------
"I've worked long and hard to earn the right to be called Diva!"

Posted By: MartyW
Date Posted: 5/19/07 at 8:27pm
Was that a recent problem red?

-------------
Marty W

"Till next we trod the boards.."

Posted By: biggertigger
Date Posted: 5/19/07 at 10:40pm
This made me think about a time I directed a show for a theater that had the snack bar next to the enterance to back stage.  The theater required that the next show in rehearsal was required to man the snack bar for the current show and our cast had a bit of a problem with that cast (i.e. light cues erased, props moved, etc.)  Well, this particular night one of the actors decided he wanted to go back stage while waiting for intermission.  He noticed one of my cast wearing an apron and he demanded the actor take it off because it was his he loaned for a previous show and forgot to get back.  This was right there minutes before the actor was to go on stage.  This was a costume piece I found in the costume closet so I figure fair game.  I was in the light booth and could hear them arguing up there.  I had to run down and instead of fighting gave him the stupid apron and told him to leave back stage. 
How petty do you have to get just because you are upset over a show that was selling out and extended into your run.  This was not my idea to extend, the board made the decision.  Incidently, the next show flopped. 
I am a firm believe that the back stage and all parts there of, are complete off limits to audience and those not directly involved with the show, for the full duration of the run.  Cast should be out of costume and make up prior to meeting up with their waiting audience.  However, if there are private dressing rooms and the actor assigned to the dressing room wishes to meet with friends after the show, then they do have the right to escort them back there.  But I don't know of too many places that have private assigned dressing rooms.

-------------
The two greatest days in a theater persons life, the day you start a new show and the day the damn thing closes.

Posted By: avcastner
Date Posted: 5/20/07 at 12:58pm
I believe I am about to start some major controversy here:

I let my actors out at pre-show and intermission in costume--but they have to stay in character.  I used to keep them sequestered, but tried this once when a lot of them were having "butterflies."  I wanted them to keep their mind on the play and the character without getting nervous, so I let them interact with their friends while maintaining in character.  When it was getting close for "Places" I or a stage manager would go up to the actor and tell them that another character was looking for them backstage.

I also allow them out in costume after the play so they can sign autographs and stuff.

OK, you can now go ahead and tell me how horrible I am for breaking theatre traditions.

-------------

Posted By: trutter
Date Posted: 5/20/07 at 9:20pm
We've never had a problem of audience members backstage or in the dressing room at intermission. Surprising, really, since the restrooms are "shared" - one door leads to the public hallway, the other to the makeup room.

Alas we too do the "receiving line" although nobody really knows why or how it started.  I asked about it once, but as a performer, I don't really mind.  I never once thought the audience members would hate it, I guess in my mind of COURSE the audience would want to see the cast on the way out. 

All of the points raised here are good ones.   Think our receiving line will stay, but definitely some good points here for and against.

-------------
------
Troy A. Rutter
Author, "Kids in the Biz: A Hollywood Handbook for Parents"
http://www.kidsinthebiz.com/ - http://www.kidsinthebiz.com/
A Heinemann Drama Publication

Date Posted: 5/20/07 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by MartyW

Was that a recent problem red?

To which of my rants are you referring?

-------------

Date Posted: 5/23/07 at 1:44pm
as far as having to change before greeting.... (I was a little miffed and confused recently) 

-------------
Marty W

Date Posted: 5/24/07 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by MartyW

as far as having to change before greeting.... (I was a little miffed and confused recently) 

Well, next time knock!  Or let me know that you're going to be there!!!   I didn't know someone was waiting to see me.Wink

Hey...I just noticed:  I've got more postings than you!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 5/25/07 at 9:03am
Obviously you have more time than I, or much more to say.....

-------------
Marty W

Posted By: theatreron
Date Posted: 7/26/07 at 1:26am
To me, it just ruins the entire effect because then they can see a set piece used in Act 2 or see people changing costumes.  It really does ruin the "magic" of what theatre really is.

Date Posted: 7/26/07 at 11:02pm
I have done a few Royal Command Performance where you were obliged, nay commanded to line up back stage, for the Royal hand shake & bow. But only after the show & deviod of show make up & costumes.
In fact when growing up in theatre it was against the law for males to be in make up in public beyond the stage, but that was eaons ago.
There again way back in the early 1900's, when I was a wee one. it was still the practice for punters to pay premium prices to sit on the stage during performances & even jion in. But those days are gone thank gawd!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: bbpchick
Date Posted: 7/27/07 at 1:49am

NEVER NEVER NEVER.  First of it breaks the suspension of disbelief, second off it pulls the actors out what they are doing, and third off, they get in the way.  Its just not cool. 

Now one thing we do, do however, is we immediately come out after curtian call and greet the audience, talk to family and friends and such.  It's a tradition in our theater and I've noticed audience members love the chance to tell the actors good job, or take pictures with the cast etc. 

-------------
Kendra
http://www.murphysblackbartplayer.com - www.murphysblackbartplayers.com
You are NEVER too old to dress up!

Date Posted: 7/27/07 at 2:07am
Originally posted by bbpchick

Now one thing we do, do however, is we immediately come out after curtian call and greet the audience, talk to family and friends and such. It's a tradition in our theater and I've noticed audience members love the chance to tell the actors good job, or take pictures with the cast etc.

This is a subject of much debate in our theater, We usually file off the stage from curtain call and directly out into the house and line up, I for one cannot stand this tradition and was thrilled that the last director I had shared my opinion. To me it just feels like begging for compliments on the performance. Audience members feel like they have to say something since they can't get to the door without passing us. I think someone who wants to see a particular performer or who has a compliment they just have to share will wait ten minutes while the cast at least changes into street clothes and gives the people who want to go home a chance to leave. Everyone likes to know their performance was enjoyed, but I think the audience tells you best during the show.

-------------

Posted By: bbpchick
Date Posted: 7/27/07 at 2:41am
If people had to pass by us to get out of the theater, I would completely agree with you it would be like trapping them in there and demanding compliments and pats on the back which is I agree with you tacky.  Our theather is set up so the exit is at the back of the auditiorium.  So the audience doesn't have to pass by us to leave.  We also don't line up or anything...it's very informal.  The actors just kinda wander out and talk to family and friends  etc. and it isn't a requirement that the cast come straight out and talk to anyone if they don't want to (For example, I had a particularly bad night as the Mute in the Fantasticks this last spring and so i just stayed backstage until the audience was gone and then went to help clean up).  I just think it makes members of the theater more accessable and friendly.  Many think it's bad no matter what, others think it's totally ok.  I think it depends upon the theater group, area (we are in a small town so we either know most of the audience or they are people that come time after time after time, with a sprinkling of tourists), and the layout of the theater.

-------------
Kendra
http://www.murphysblackbartplayer.com - www.murphysblackbartplayers.com
You are NEVER too old to dress up!

Date Posted: 7/27/07 at 3:01am
i won't have a bar of it!
David Garrick had the right idea in the 1700's, as manager of the Dury Labe theatre in London.
When he stopped having the punters on the stage. Also devising the 'house Rag' [curtain] to divide the stage and audiance, as well as a drop to change scenes by - along with quite a few other things, that still survive today.

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: whitebat
Date Posted: 11/26/07 at 1:24am
In HS, we went out in the lobby, in costume, to "mingle".  I don't think it forced people to talk to the actors, but I would rather not be congratulated on my theatrical "debut" in every show I'm in.  When the ballet was in town for a community concert, the dancers sat on the edge of the stage & fielded questions from the audience who chose to stay.  I rather liked that.  I don't like people coming onstage or backstage, for all the reasons mentioned.  I think if you wanted to do the "meet & greet" thing in a small theater, the way to go would be pull the curtain, and come down in front for a short time in costume.  We had a problem with assorted people showing up at rehearsals in HS.  I guess the director finally cracked down on that.  However, we got good results from having our videographer attend a few rehearsals before dress to know what to shoot.  Previous films of our plays have been awful (too far away, out of focus, focus on unimportant action). 

Posted By: John Luzaich
Date Posted: 3/12/08 at 12:01pm

The only people in the backstage area are associated with the theatre, or the show.  At the start of a play on opening night, we have board members go back stage to greet and thank the cast and crew for all of their time and effort.  No one goes back stage at intermission during the run of the show that is not involved in that production.

I managed an Off-Broadway theatre where Joseph... ran for twelve weeks before it transfered to Broadway and ran for two years.  We had a "No back stage" policy, even after the show was over.  We had a stage door person guarding the outside stage door, and ushers guarding the front of house.  There were several times the director, producer or myself brought someone back stage personally.  Margaret Hamilton (Wicked Witch) came to see the show and had been in ill health for two years.  She told us she had hardly even gone out of her condo that whole time.  This was the first show she'd been to in that time and she just loved the show and said it was the first time she smiled in two years.  The cast was teary-eyed.  I think she passed away two or three years after that.

As far as meet and greet for our community theatre, the cast used to always go out to the lobby in costume to do a meet and greet.   Some people didn't like it.  Then we went to a "line up in the theatre along house left and house right" and theatre patrons could greet you if they so choose to.  Some audience members don't like being "forced to go through a line" to shake hands and say good job.  Now, we leave it up to that particular director and cast, they discuss it and come to an agreement.  So now, those actors that want to greet someone can go into the house on their own if they want.  (many of the younger kids like that).

-------------
John
cfct@cfu.net
http://www.osterregent.org
http://www.facebook.com/osterregent

Posted By: landon2006
Date Posted: 3/20/08 at 2:26am
During our upcoming production of Annie, we are going to station our main actors (Annie, Warbucks, Grace, Hannigan and the Orphans in the lobby after the show.

Our reason for doing this is that we are offering "Pictures with the cast" where you get your picture taken with the cast member of your choice or all of them. Each person who wants a picture pays $3.00 for it on a CD-ROM. It's a cheap way for people to keep a souvenir of the play that won't break the bank and allows us to make an extra $150 per performance.

People backstage are a no-no however.

-------------

Posted By: jayzehr
Date Posted: 3/20/08 at 8:21am
Originally posted by landon2006

Each person who wants a picture pays $3.00 for it on a CD-ROM. It's a cheap way for people to keep a souvenir of the play that won't break the bank and allows us to make an extra $150 per performance.
Have you had success with that before? Let us know how it turns out, everyone is looking for more revenue. My guess would be that nowhere near 50 people are going to stick around for that, especially if they're at the end of the line. But with kids, who knows? I'm very frequently wrong

Posted By: landon2006
Date Posted: 3/20/08 at 4:25pm
We are a start-up, so we have not produced a show yet. But if this does work out, I'll be sure to post the results.

I'm not sure this would work with ALL productions. With Annie, we are relying mainly on a family crowd, and most kids would love to have a picture of them with Annie or Daddy Warbucks that they could show of to their friends.

Come to think of it though, Adults like to show off too... hmmm.

-------------

Posted By: sparf
Date Posted: 3/22/08 at 2:59am
Having done a large number of shows in my relatively short career of 4 years in the theatre, I have to say without a doubt that NEVER NEVER NEVER is ANYONE backstage who isn't directly involved in the show and supposed to be there.

My first true show was Annie at a company in Bristol TN called, interestingly enough, Theatre Bristol. I was 21 at the time and played the apple seller, a father-type character in the NYC number, and Roosevelt. Fond memories. I have more photos of that show than I took of any other, except for my professional debut at Horn in the West in Boone, NC. I have 7 gigs of photos that the office manager at Horn let me copy off CD that were production photos.

In response to a post of last year, when the show goes up, it belongs to the Stage Manager and to no one else. The director is done. Period. End of sentence, paragraph, page, and report. Well, let me rephrase that. In instances where the director is not also supervising, say students in a school setting or acting as a kid wrangler, or something else.

I have to say that I enjoy the idea of raising funds through pictures with the cast, though I think a refinement might be to charge 5 dollars. Make 2.50 in profit and spend the $2.50 to have an 8x10 print done at a 1 hour photo place. That way, if you happen to have a crowd of bluehairs, you don't lose the business from the ones who may not use computers.  Sure, it's not instant gratification, but it's a touch more personal  than a CD.

If you were really awesome, you could get the cast to sign them with a paint pen before mailing them to the folks.

Just some thoughts...and a post that  is way off topic from a forum member who hasn't been around in quite a while. :)

-------------
That is not dead which can eternal lie / and with strange aeons even Death may die.

Posted By: SherrieAnne
Date Posted: 3/22/08 at 7:18am
Audience backstage?  Emphatically, NO!!!!!  Not at intermission, not at any other time!  A couple of years ago, I stage managed a teen production of GODSPELL, during which one of the performers decided to bring some of his friends backstage (and ONTO the stage) during intermission.  When I objected, I was shrugged off - which I should have expected, since he was the producer's son who was basically allowed to get away with anything...  (Yes, he was the weak link in the cast, as well.)  The presence of outsiders backstage made the other performers VERY uncomfortable, to say the least!  (FYI, in this company everyone shares one big dressing room, so there really isn't any way to get away.)

As for the photo idea - hard copies are a great thought, but why go to the photo store and make the people wait?  Invest in a digital camera with a printer dock - you can print out a 4X6 copy of the photo on the spot.  I picked up a Kodak digital with a dock at Christmastime, bundled and fairly cheap - well under $200.  I'm directing for the first time this winter, and I plan to use it to take photos of my auditioners. 

-------------
There's a little bit of diva in all of us. Some just have a larger helping than others.

Posted By: sparf
Date Posted: 3/22/08 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by SherrieAnne

A
As for the photo idea - hard copies are a great thought, but why go to the photo store and make the people wait?  Invest in a digital camera with a printer dock - you can print out a 4X6 copy of the photo on the spot.  I picked up a Kodak digital with a dock at Christmastime, bundled and fairly cheap - well under $200.  I'm directing for the first time this winter, and I plan to use it to take photos of my auditioners. 

From personal experience, the ink in those gets used up too quickly and is too expensive to make it a viable option for the cost charged for the photos (depending on how many actually want a photo). As for me, I'd be doing 8x10s. Good detail, suitable for framing and hanging. And if you take the time and have the people wait, you can drop a thank you letter in with the photo when it is mailed, and invite them to see your upcoming production of so-and-so.

I'm just speaking in the hypothetical sense of course.  I don't KNOW for sure that one way or the other would be preferable. :)

Anyway... I feel like I've driven this thread onto a completely different set of train tracks. :)

-------------
That is not dead which can eternal lie / and with strange aeons even Death may die.

Posted By: PinkScarf
Date Posted: 1/21/10 at 2:57am
I have to agree, NO ONE should be allowed backstage except cast and crew. I just played Cinderella and during a particularly exhausting performance, I just wanted to change and go home. Except that one of the younger cast members decided to bring a whole group of her friends backstage. In the womens dressing room. Not cool, especially since not only could I not change there with her friends watching, but I also had to remain in character. Obviously, Cinderella does not strip while others are watching.

Not to mention I've had really awkward moments when friends and family unknowingly came backstage during intermission to tell me I was doing a good job. That's just not appropriate.

Furthermore I find it very annoying when cast members have people backstage. It's just distracting and very aggravating when you have to ask a non-cast, non-crew person to move out of the way so you can get to your costume/prop/etc.

And don't get me started about people who have their kids backstage during a show! One non-cast kid tried to have a conversation with me when I had to go onstage.

When it comes to meet and greet in costume after a show, I'm all for it! Especially for the family shows. For both Seussical and Cinderella, the kids in the audience loved meeting "Gertrude" and "Cinderella". I also enjoyed signing autographs for them and getting pictures taken with them.   

-------------
Current: The Miracle Worker - Annie Sullivan
Previous: Cinderella - Cinderella
*Please visit my theatre blog: http://charactress.blogspot.com - http://charactress.blogspot.com

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info