Forum Discription: For how-to's and where-can-I-find
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2212
Printed Date: 5/21/24 at 10:03am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The twits
Posted By: amthzako
Subject: The twits
Date Posted: 1/15/07 at 12:21am
hi, i'm taking part in "The Twits" and need to build an upside down sceen. My group's experience is very limited. We're performing in a black-box theatre with adience on 3 sides. Any idea how we can make it happen?Tongue

Replies:
Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 1/15/07 at 1:29am
G’day amthzako.
What do you mean by an "upside down screen"?
Can you furnish more info!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 1/15/07 at 6:15am
hi,
Well in this upside down scene, the table, carpet and all the rest of the furniture has to be 'glued' to the ceiling of the room.

Date Posted: 1/15/07 at 9:23am
 Ah! You mean a ‘scene’ - sorry about that.
Being a black box what is the height & structure of the ceiling?
Also can you give info about the venue?
Is there Fly’s &/or Boarders, legs as stage masking?
What would the rooms [scene] approx dimensions be the right way up?

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: TimW
Date Posted: 1/16/07 at 1:35am
Hello amthzako.
Like Gaffa said, knowing more about the play space will help.
Until then, if you don't have a fly system, maybe build a grid structure to hang everything from ( 2x2 or 2x4 frame). If you have access to the ceiling, use steel cable to support the grid.

Date Posted: 1/16/07 at 7:52pm
G’day!
From your post I assume you are part of play & you may not be privy to all the info!
However I’m not attempting to be a pain or a total sado, not more than usual anyway!
But does the venue management have an inkling that the plays set is to be dead hung above the acting space?
A few of the things that come to mind are does the venue have a qualified &/or Licensed ‘Rigger’ on hand, accident assessor, plenty of insurance covering your group/themselves?
I’m sure a number of members here can suggest & advise how to accomplish this, but I’m rather hesitant because of the lack of experience & empirical knowledge within your group.
In saying that may I suggest producing the furniture from cardboard/ papier mache. However it would need to be coated with fire retardant along with the carpet & material it is mounted on.
If this is your first production have you thought of doing a play with a simple black box set?
Me thinks you might be pushing ‘it’ up hill with your nose!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 1/20/07 at 6:01am
hi all,

thanks for all your support. I'm not trying to be difficult about not providing info, but our tutor/directoris abroad at the moment I there's no way I can get info if not through her.  Perhaps to put you more in the pcture you need to know that we're a group of student Primary teachers and this is part of a University credit that has to do with children's theatre.

I like the idea of papier mache furniture.  I'm sure we can manage to do that somehow. We were also thinking about projeting the set as a backdrop using a projector.

thanks a geat deal

Date Posted: 1/20/07 at 8:31pm

I found a site with some pics, that may help you?

It’s on the Octagon theatre site Bolton UK:- http://www.octagonbolton.co.uk/Twits.htm

From what I can make it out it is a theatre adaptation by David Wood presented in a circus setting.
The upside down bit is an inset upstage as part of a multi set staging.
With the acting area down stage the upside down set is on the floor & purely representative, rather bring above the actors on the deck.
I don’t know how large your space is & it’s resources, but rear projection is a possibility.
However from the review there is a suggestion of ariel acrobatics, this may be only for the ‘mugglewumps [monkeys] to be suspended in the cage, which might be easy to achieve with harness & a good Rigger/Mechanist.
I have worked Circus & it is not something that can be transposed into a theatre setting easily.
I only hope that the Director has the budget to ensure a safe production & hire in the expertise.
Sure I imagine it can be handled low-tech but I doubt it should be tackled by students, without an expert on hand!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info