Print Page | Close Window

Disney's High School Musical

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Producing Theater
Forum Name: Directing
Forum Discription: For questions about handling shows, actors, crew, board members, children ...or do we repeat ourselves?
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2206
Printed Date: 5/06/24 at 9:06pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Disney's High School Musical
Posted By: JShieldsIowa
Subject: Disney's High School Musical
Date Posted: 1/11/07 at 12:00am
Has anyone done Disney's High School Musical yet?  We're starting out a new "teen group" element to our local "kids" theatre and we're doing the show in May.  I'm trying to get a copy of the conductor's score early from MTI but my rep won't return my messages.  Does anyone know where to get a copy?  I can't find one and don't think one has been published by Hal Leonard or any other publishing company yet.

And IF anyone has done - any pitfalls to watch out for?  This show is generating TONS of buzz amongst the high schools and middle schools in the area.  I think I'm going to be overwhelmed with kids auditioning!  (Which there are worse fates than that, I suppose!)  Anyhow, any feedback would be great as I haven't even seen a production (other than the Disney Channel Movie) of the show.

Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: Theatrestation
Date Posted: 1/11/07 at 1:29am

Are you going through an operator at MTI or just punching and extension? Not returning messages seems odd for an MTI rep. Maybe that persons extension has changed and your message is going to a vacant box or something. Just a thought.

Susan

-------------
http://www.castbuilding.com
http://www.theatrestation.com

Posted By: suzecue1
Date Posted: 1/11/07 at 3:37pm
I would try emailing instead of calling - mailto:RoseanneG@mtishows.com - RoseanneG@mtishows.com  - is the rep for Iowa.  Make sure to put your contract number in the subject line and she should get right back to you!

We are doing High School Musical in June - and we have the same excitement going on!  The kids are hyped up! Let me know how it goes!

-------------
Sue
So many hats.....so few heads!

Date Posted: 1/11/07 at 4:49pm
How exciting!  Actually, let me know what you need for your production as we might have some things after the show is over that we might eBay. 

Posted By: Mr. Lowell
Date Posted: 1/30/07 at 12:41pm
We are doing "High School Musical" on March 1 - 4, 2007, a first for this region.   We anticipate selling out all four performances.

My director had 98 middle school students audition!  So to include more in the show, she is taking 22 girls who did not make the cut and dressing them as "cheerleaders".  They will be the ushers and sell tickets and concessions.  Then later they'll dance through the aisles in the house to add punch to the finale'.

As the Technical Director, this show is rather simple for me to stage.  So my emphasis will be on the lighting.   In Act II, Scene 10, I will have to use very specific area lighting to show The Gym, The Theatre, and The Lab on thirds of the stage all at once.

One difference you will find in the stage version verses the Disney Channel movie is the addition of Jack the "Morning Announcements Kid".  His scenes were added as a theatrical device or bridge in order to "stall" while the crew changes the sets.   However, in a traditional proscenium stage, like mine, there is no user-friendly place on the apron to set up his announcement booth throughout the show.

My solution is to put Jack on closed-curcuit TV!   Many schools are wired for school news from a TV Lab, so this idea is more "modern" than the old PA microphone called for in the script.  Besides, the school in the movie is very new and ultra-modern in design...so surely they would have had video announcements there.   (Heck, if the school is so high-tech that kids can hack into the gym lighting by computer, then surely the announcements would not be on an ancient PA system!)

The way I sold the idea to the director was by pointing out that this is a modern day story, and our kids today have Ipods and laptops, (and there is even a song in the show using cell phones).  So putting Jack on TV fits very well.

Technically, the way I will accomplish this is to hang a 50" flat screen TV, (loaned by a GREAT parent), from the proscenium catwalk over the stage-right end of the orchestra pit.   The same parent loaded me a chain-hoist motor, (which he uses on his car engine), to winch the giant TV monitor up about 8 feet off the floor.  I will run the cables down from proscenium arch to a small piano storage closet backstage-right. 

This closet will be Jack's AV Lab!  I will position one of those MANY extra cast members to act as his "floor director" with a real working intercom headset connected to our Stage Manager.  This AV person is allowed to be seen on camera, interacting with Jack in whatever AV Lab business they want to improv.   He or she will operate the camcorder, cue Jack, and zoom out the camera to show teachers opening the closet door to hand Jack late-breaking announcements.

I have an old video switcher console that will allow the video crew to fade to black whenever Jack is not to be seen.  That way the audience will not be distracted by the monitor during the other scenes.  This switcher allows for a second input, so for pre-show and intermission they could put up a graphic of the show logo on the big monitor.

We are in pre-production now, so I will keep you posted on any new problems/solutions I encounter on this new show.   Good luck!  -Dana

-------------
Mr. Lowell,
Lighting/Set Designer & Tech Director,
for the Linda Sloan Theatre,
in the Davison Center for the Arts,
at Greensboro Day School

Date Posted: 1/30/07 at 3:19pm
What a fun idea!  I really like that.  I think we're going to build an announcer's booth and put it in the orchestra pit.  Sadly, the show is being put on in a theatre that was once a vaudeville stage.  Sadly, there is little wing space and little room for much set.  It's a gorgeous theatre to work in - but has many limitations.  We're going to have to "fly in" set pieces, but the batons are so close together there won't be much room for them to have any depth.  We're looking at lifting the cyc and using the back wall of the theatre as the gym (decorated accordingly, of course).  I'm a little freaked about the cafeteria scene.  I don't want to use cheesy drops, so we might have to get creative with the cyc.  I don't deal well with minimalism in a musical, but that might be the route I have to take!  If you get a chance I'd LOVE to see production photos of the show!  We have auditions in a couple weeks and will have a better idea of how we're going to accomplish some things depending on the size of the cast.  I have set a cap at 40 cast members.  If we go with 40, we will have almost NO space for too many set pices (like tables, desks, lockers, etc).  It's going to be a lesson in spatial logic and scheduling the flow of people.  YIKES! 

Date Posted: 1/30/07 at 6:11pm
By coincidence I happen to be painting the back wall of MY theatre today!  Not only am I using the back wall for some of the Gym scenes, but also as the front of the school building for the opening scene on the "front steps". 

When it is the Gym, I will fly in various athletic championship banners in front of the upper wall and the crew will hang "Go Wildcats" posters on the lower wall.   Then when it is the Front Steps, we will bring in false windows, false double doors, and fly in a huge banner that says "Welcome Back Wildcats".

I received a good set of old lockers today too.  I'm only going to use them in the hallway scene and not in the locker room.  Because, as with most musical productions, there are more girls in the cast than boys.   So some of the kids on the basketball team are being played by girls.   The director thought it would appear odd to have a co-ed locker room. Shocked  So that scene will merely have some long benches and a red flip chart frame for the big photos.   I guess the audience will have to imagine this is some sort of athletic department classroom or coaches workroom.

But I will use this locker unit in the Hallway Scene and paint it all red and white like the school colors.   EXCEPT for Sharpay's individual locker, which will be pink.  Then the inside of her locker will be all tricked out with a mirror and a gooseneck LED flashlight overhead, and maybe a top shelf full of Thespian awards, etc...

I, too, will be flying my scenery.  Each interior location will be abstractly represented by a fragmentary hollywood flat above a different corner of the stage.   (Once again, these units will be painted in the school colors).  Attached to each triangular flat will be a scenic element that dictates which room we are in at the moment.  For instance a Table of Elements for the lab, or a poster of Shakespeare for the drama room, etc...

I have 12 battens available for flying these pieces.  But for safety, I will space each flat left or right of the next flat upstage, so there will be no collisions in the fly loft.   Luckily, I already have a half-scale false proscenium arch that is left over from last Fall's production of "Smile".  I will hang this center stage to represent the Theatre during the triple location song in Act II, Scene 10.

Speaking of wing space, our cast has 55 plus the 25 "finale' ushers".  That's 80!...plus a dozen stagehands.   So our wings will be tight as well.  To save on space, I am not using dozens of chairs during the cafeteria scene.   I was fortunate to find 5 giant cafeteria tables that have the benches already attached to each side.  They fold up in the middle so they can easily ROLL off stage!

For the Lab scene I am building 5 narrow card tables out of lightweight lauan plywood.   Behind the tables will be red and white wooden stools borrowed from out art teacher.   And for the Drama Classroom, I found 15 plastic school chairs that have little desktops attached.  So by storing the Lab stuff SL and the Drama stuff SR, I should be able to handle the space issues.  By the way, in order to keep the chorus under control backstage, I may ask them to stay seated at the 15 student desks off SR!

I was going to use my white cyclorama in the cafeteria scene and project some large window gobos across the top.   But after the first day of dance rehearsals, we worried that the "cast of thousands" would hit the cyc and damage it.   So as a compromise, I will use my ugly full-stage black velour traveler.   Dead  (Come to think of it, every single musical I have ever done has had ONE crappy "cross-over scene" where I had to use the black traveler).   Luckily the cafeteria scene is rather short!

I think I will move the white cyc downstage and light it with cloud gobos for the brief Rooftop Scene at the top of Act II.  Once again a very short scene.  But it would be nice to break things up a little by using the cyc...because the rest of the show is all INTERIOR locations!

Yes, I would be glad to post photos here when I get a chance.  -Dana

-------------
Mr. Lowell,
at Greensboro Day School

Posted By: ictdramamama
Date Posted: 2/04/07 at 6:02pm
I'm very excited but with a very LARGE SET DESIGN headache!  I am directing 65 - 7th & 8th grade students in Disney's HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL, March 9-11th.  One set designer called in 'sloshed' and quit, the 2nd one was anxious and it's been 3 weeks since she said she'd get designs to me in 1 week. (Do ya think I have B.O.?!) 
I've huddled with my set construction man who is NOT a designer.  I DO have a grid but basically, it's a light grid with very low loft space.  (The new theatre was designed to be PRETTY not functional) EGAD!
I am using scaffolding for a permanent u.s. balcony/crossover.  It will house the Press Room for Jack & the roof top garden as well.  Giving me 2 sets of stairs down the wall to let all the parents see their babies in the big company numbers.
I'm okay with EVERYthing except... the triple scene after the gym blackout.
Any great, simple, fast fixes for me?  As most of you know, with this being a brand new show, there's only one quasi set design I've seen on the net and it's done with fly-ins. I await anxiously and with deepest gratitude, ANY answers.  Thanks!

-------------
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

Date Posted: 2/04/07 at 11:36pm
Hi DramaMama.
It's always tough to stage a show that began as a movie.  We just can't jump around from location to location like they do on film.  I had the same problem last November when we did "Smile!".  But I learned to just do the best we can and let the audiences' imagination fill in the rest.

For the "triple scene", (which is Act II, Scene 10), I am defining the locations with very distinct area lighting.  The Lab is DSL.  The Theatre is Up Center with a velour curtain and false proscenium flat.  And the Gym is played DSR.  To make the Gym scene fit the confined space, the cheerleaders and fans stand on the DSR apron and stand 1/4 turn to their right.  They look out over the house-left audience and cheer, as if the basketball players are imaginary.

Lighting is critical for this triple scene to work.  Luckily I have plenty of new ETC Source4 lekos to light the special zones.  I will also use subtle differences in the gel colors for these three areas.  The Lab with have a daylight blue color, as if the Lab has large school windows.  The Theatre will have rich pinks...very theatrical...like a typical high school auditorium.  And the Gym zone will have nice and toasty no-color Source4's, to resemble the high color-temperature vapor lights often used in large gymnasiums.

Beyond that, I am not going to fret about it much.  The scene is rather short.  And as you note, the patrons will be looking at the faces of their darlings in the cast-of-thousands.   I will just have to give the audience credit for making a distinction between the three locations.   Besides, our actors are all wearing three very different types of costumes, depending their particular clique.  

And one other thing to consider.   ALL our middle school age kids had the Disney Channel movie and/or soundtrack committed to memory before we even held auditions!  So the kids, and many of our patrons, can easily recall how the movie cuts back and forth during this particular number.

My show opens the weekend before yours, so I probably won't have a chance to post any of my production photos in time to be of help.  Good luck. -Dana

-------------
Mr. Lowell,
at Greensboro Day School

Date Posted: 2/05/07 at 12:04am
Dana -
Have you been bugging my production meetings?  Only difference for us is that our Gym and Lab will be reversed due to wing space issues.  We're going to roll in a rolling chalkboard for the lab and some "lab" stools, etc.  For the theatre we're going to use a black drop.  For the gym (in the "triple scene") we're going to pull out some benches.  The 3 areas will be defined with lights, as well.  I really don't know of any other way to do it effectively without big scene changes.  We'll probably hit the "theatre area" with a gelled follow spot (or two) and the others we'll probably just use some different gels to give some slight distinction.  We are going to be flying in some set pieces,  so that helps us out a lot, though.  

Since the theatre I'll be working in was once a vaudeville stage I have minimal wing space.  It's a gorgeous theatre, but the wing space limitations add all sorts of design nightmares.  We will have a fly system to use, but the batons are so close together we can't fly things that have much depth to them.  We're going to have to be REALLY creative with setting each scene.  We won't really be able to have an actual set, so we're going to have to rely on lighting and set pieces to achieve distinction between locations.  Due to this we're going to really amp up some of the choreography, music, costumes and lighting. 

Drama Mama - can you use some gobos to achieve some different effects for these 3 "areas"?  I think the best bet will be to limit the set pieces for this scene and focus on lighting (no pun intended). 

Since I'm going to be opening almost 2 months after both of you - I expect photos!  =)

Jeff

Date Posted: 2/05/07 at 9:48am

Thanks soooo much for the two quick replies.  And, after cornering my scene shop mgr. once again last night, I am feeling more confident.  It appears we are some of the first to tread these waters and it seems we have like minds w/variations and similar problem areas.
Yeah, II/10 is the bugger.  We have a 5 ft fore-stage with an opening to the stage at each end of the 'runway'.  R. stage, he wants to use for the locker/hallway/gym 'room' area.  L. stage, he wants to drop down 1 ft. and prop a platform from prosc. site line to the L. house wall.  This will limit viewing for 7 seats.  BUT, I can permanently house 10 desks & a rolling chalkboard without endless scene changes & clatter.  The board will have a narrow container attached all the way across the bottom to hold vials, etc for the lab.  Turn it around and the other side will have ? Comedy/ Tragedy masks.  They're just going to have to have study hall in the lab.

C. stage with the black traveller in is for the theatre scenes.  But, he's going to build a wagon with a Sound shell drawn on it to place U.s.c.  Then, when we get to II/10, the traveller will be open and (with lighting, thank you) the shell will be L.Stage for the theatre scene and Jack Scott in his booth on the upper walkway, with cheerleaders, etc on the R. stairs.  And, as always, the lab will be d.s.L. 'in the audience'.

Okay... feedback!  Am I gonna be in trouble with any of this?  Oh... one of our state Univ. is the Wildcats.  I think I have talked the Head of Theatre there into loaning me their Wildcat gobo since major sports will be over.  (Actually, one of my well endowed parents is an alum, there ;-)  Again, keep me posted this next few weeks and I'll do the same.  What a God send this forum and all of you are. 

-------------
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 2/05/07 at 11:50pm
I think all your mise en scene set ideas are great!
I don’t the show, but it might be worth while using it as an alternative to Grease in the future.
With your close & possibly fouling fly barrels [pipes/battens].
If you have a good Fly Mechanist/Rigger?
Depending on your counterweight system & number of dropper, there are quite a few ways of Bridling the barrels into an anti fouling situation.
Either by running a rope bridle across the dropper wires, restricting the sway movement either up or down stage. Or bracing the counterweight carriages in tandem, effetely allowing you two barrels as a head batten or under slinging an extra barrel for the set pieces. Doubling the space between battens, operated by one line.
If you are moving the cyc downstage further than the cyc light batten, you could use a reflector cloth behind on the original cyc line & this would save the need to reposition the cyc lighting & re focussing, by bouncing it off the reflector cloth to illuminate the cyc from the rear. Also you could utilise groundrow [z position] lighting masked by the cyc for a better wash.
I use this with great effect for in front projection, using the Selecon Pacific range of lanterns, with Mylar gobo images printed from a computer. {the Pacific lamps are unique because they dissipate the light source heat via the rear of the lantern, allowing plastics to be used between the light bubble & the lens.

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 2/06/07 at 12:05am
Oh my, Joe.... I think you may have pushed the reply to the wrong person/ show.  I consider myself a good director but... I can only WISH I had a techie like you so I could say with confidence: "Don't try to explain it to da dumb Mama, just DO it!"  Anyway, good luck down under!

-------------
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

Date Posted: 2/06/07 at 12:06am
Those Pacific Lamps sound WONDERFUL! 

Date Posted: 2/06/07 at 3:11am
While Selecon is a Kiwi Manufacturer, they are available on your side of the pond!
Just hire one & try it out & they are getting cheaper these days:-
http://www.seleconlight.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=34&category_id=11&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=125

G’donya Mama yor a beaut shiela!
I must have been having a Senior Moment when posting.
[The excuse is more plausible now, being recognised officially as an Old Pohmy Bathplug!]

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: quesera
Date Posted: 2/22/07 at 2:24am
Just finished directing HS Musical with 2 separate casts of 90+ members ranging form 3-8 grade.  We sold out 6 shows.  We went for minimal set design.  We were forced to work around the highschool scenery and lost 10 feet from the back of the stage.  We built a set piece that was 2 levels--one 2 feet up and one 4 feet up.  Each level was four feet wide and 32 feet long.  Picture a large deep 2 level staircase.The back wall for the 4 foot platform was eight feet high.  It had a working door and one working locker and was painted to look like the school hallway.  We also had the bulletin board there. We used the levels for large dance numbers and it worked really well for status quo.  We also had an eight foot extension built at the front of the stage--not something we planned but from the high school set.  For status quo we only used 2 tables for Jocks and Brainiacs dance and then removed them--Skaters were on the extension.  We had all the rebels gather there for the conflict.

Jack scott appeard on top platform extreme stage left and was hit with a spot then he disappeared.   

We staged the decathalon, game and callback  using the extension with the call backs center stage and two 8 foot flats for the lab and gym on the extension.  We used the CD so we left lights up.  The actual singing allowed the audience to follow the action--ex Ryan and Sharpay would mouth words and continue dancing while basketball was highlighted.

Scene changes were minimal, everyone in ensemble appeared at least 3 times  and all cast members appeared in the large dances--that's right 90+ students on the stage.  We have a great choreographer and our casts were amazing.  Hope this helps someone.

-------------
Happy Directing

Date Posted: 2/23/07 at 10:04am

quesera...thanks for the detailed info and congratulations on the success of your production.  I have directed for 47 years and I think DHSM is the MOST fun I've ever seen kids have on a production.  Dana, how goes it? I am 2 weeks from production.                                                                    Finally last night, my music director, choreo-grapher, and I said, we MUST guts it out & do Act II scene 10 Angry  VOILA! It works!  Remember, no fly system and the entire back of set is a 14 ft hi scaffold with 2 stair cases down the front.

We mask 1/2 of the stair set with the back sides of two of our locker pieces, draped like theatre drapes.  Thus, the whole R. stage area becomes the Theatre.  D.L. at main curtain is the sci decath. with brainiacs sitting, singing, dancing on apron, stage steps and house floor.
At Center stage just down from the scaffolding is the basketball goal.  the jocks are on benches front of the scaffolding, the cheerleaders on platform behind the jocks and the left half of stairs and upper platform is filled with fans, mime-cheering except in their own flashes.  It works with an actual 3 on 3 game going on (PRAY they don't drop the ball during one of the other flashbacks ;-) 
Tight lighting is the key and being the non-techie I am, I just cut and pasted your lighting element info to our tech director and said, 'Make sure we have plenty of these and please make it work."
Already, as a free lance director, I've been contacted by a huge hispanic middle school.  The gym teacher (boxing coach on the side) asked if I could find out when JUMP IN will be a stage show and would I direct it.  LOL
Any clues?  Got to hand it to Disney... JUMP IN is the first show I've seen that really relates to kids in the AfroAmer/Hispanic population.
Keep me posted... 2 weeks to go and I'll take all the suggestions I can get. Dana, are you getting nervous?  DA MAMA LUVS YA!

-------------
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

Date Posted: 2/23/07 at 12:25pm
March 4th update:

Sold out all four shows.  Ovations.  Clap

Exhausted.  Dead  Have to strike PLUS load in the comedy "Dearly Departed" over the next two days.  Cry   So it may be a few days before I can post my production photos for all you guys.  -Dana

-------------
Mr. Lowell,
at Greensboro Day School

Date Posted: 3/04/07 at 10:45am
CONGRATULATIONS Dana!  I've been thinking about you all week as we go into our tech week for a Friday opening.
I have never seen kids soooo excited about a show. 
I know you're busy... but, if you had any real problem areas or... great surprises, clue me in........ I'll take heed for March 9.
Thanks again for all your ideas.
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

-------------
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

Date Posted: 3/04/07 at 11:04am

YAY!  Congratulations to you!  We don't open for 10 weeks and there have already been calls for tickets.  I think we all chose a great show at a great time!  I finally got my show cast.  Only went with 38 kids.  Have some really talented kids.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to be sick of most of the songs in the next couple weeks - but I think it's going to be a great production!

Date Posted: 3/10/07 at 10:53am
Hey all!  Last night (3/10/07) was our opening night for DHSM!!! In almost 50 years of theatre, I don't think I've ever seen such a reaction from an audience, parents or not.  When my 60 kids came dancing through the house, the audience rose to their feet to dance and sing with them!  Fair warning: get a small audience for your last tech rehearsal and tell them to 'over' applaud.  Trying to explain to 60 kids about waiting for the peak of the laugh/applause doesn't get it.  It took them about 1/2 of first act to get the hang of it.
Want a little IRONY?  We had to postpone tonight's performance and put in two Sunday performances.  WHY?  Our upper school boys are playing tonite in the STATE BASKETBALL tournament.  WE were told we had to postpone so EVERYONE would go support the basketball team.  Who cares about my voices or the fact that most of those didn't buy tickets anyway and we still have sold out shows.  It DOES continue, doesn't it.  I just went to party city and bought more New Year's EVE clackers to give my kids so hopefully, they will clack instead of screaming their lungs out.  Ah well, life in the
the-ate-ah.  Hopefully, my pix will be back next week.  Can I post them here?  How?  If not, I'll put them on my personal web site and send you the link.
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

-------------
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

Date Posted: 3/13/07 at 2:22am

That's great to hear!  Congratulations!  And total crazy about having to reschedule due to the basketball scene.

I must say that I forget how amazing high school kids can be.  After my first blocking rehearsal with my leads they were off book for the first scenes after 2 hours.  Granted, the scenes are short - but I don't think the adult actors that I normally work with could have pulled that off!

Anyhow - congrats to you both!  I hope I have the same success!

Posted By: mattyjaco
Date Posted: 3/21/07 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Gaafa

I use this with great effect for in front projection, using the Selecon Pacific range of lanterns, with Mylar gobo images printed from a computer. {the Pacific lamps are unique because they dissipate the light source heat via the rear of the lantern, allowing plastics to be used between the light bubble & the lens.

What do you mean pattern printed on mylar? where can i find more info on this?

Posted By: Thomas
Date Posted: 3/22/07 at 12:45pm
Hello there,

I am directing High School Musical at my High School next year.  (Student Directed with Teachers producing and doing music...e.t.c)

Any help would be great...

Has anyone modified it for there school?
How hard is the music?
Is the Show better than the Movie?
Have you gotten and ridicule for it being "not a real musical"?

Posted By: quesera
Date Posted: 3/22/07 at 3:03pm
WE SUCCESFULLY PRODUCED THE SHOW USING THE CD MUSIC.  THE SHOW IS A LOT OF FUN.  OUR CAST RANGED IN AGE FROM 3RD GRADE TO HIGH SCHOOL.  YOUR CAST WILL EASILY LEARN THEIR LINES--THEY ARE SIMPLE.  OUR MUSIC DIRECTOR WAS ANNOYED ABOUT THE CANNED MUSIC, BUT WE REALLY FOUND IT AN ADVANTAGE FOR ALL THE SOUND EFFECTS AND TO HELP OUR CAST DEVELOP THE TIMING NEEDED FOR EACH SCENE.  WE USED A SIMPLE SET PIECE--2 LARGE STEPS--4 FEET WIDE AND THE WIDTH OF THE STAGE.  ONE STEP WAS 2 FEET OFF THE GROUND AND THE OTHER WAS 4 FEET.  THE BACK WALL OF THE FOOR FOOT LEVEL WAS 8 FEET HIGH AND PAINTED TO LOOK LIKE THE HIGH SCHOOL HALL WITH LOCKERS--SHARPAY'S WORKED AND WORKING DOORS FOR ENTRANCES AND EXITS.  WE DID NOT SET UP JACK SCOTT IN ANY BOOTH RATHER WE POSITIONED HIM UP ON THE HIGHEST STEP SL AND HIT HIM WITH A SPOT--THE CAST WOULD ACT AS IF THEY WERE LISTENING TO PA ANNOUNCEMENTS.  WE NEVER SHUT THE CURTAIN AND SCENE CHANGES TOOK PLACE BELOW JACK.  OUR LEVELS ALLOWED US TO EASILY STAGE STATUS QUO AND WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER 2 INCLUDING THE LEAP BY RYAN--HE WAS CAUGHT BY CHEERLEADERS--A GREAT CROWD PLEASER.  COSTUMING WAS SIMPLE, KIDS ENJOYED THE DANCING--WE WERE VERY TRUE TO THE MOVIE--GET THE VIDEO WITH THE DANCE DIRECTIONS.  WE ALSO HAD 90+ KIDS IN TWO SEPARATE CASTS SO WE INVENTED WILDCAT DANCERS AND A 3RD GRADE CHORUS.  WE ALSO DID AUDITIONS LIKE  A CHORUS LINE WITH ALL OUR THESPIANS STANDING IN A LINE WITH THEIR PHOTOS--WE HAD A DANCE BREAK HERE ALSO BY LOOPING MUSIC.  HOPE SOME OF THIS HELPS.  I KNOW YOUR CAST WILL BE SELF MOTIVATED TO DO THIS SHOW.  BREAK A LEG.Smile

-------------
Happy Directing

Date Posted: 3/22/07 at 3:32pm
Thomas, I plan to post a technical write-up with pictures very soon...(sorry, I have been pre-occupied with "Dearly Departed" which opened last night).

But until I can go into further detail, let me just say that this is a good show for ANY theatre troup of any size, age and budget to do.   We used 80 middle school kids in a fully equiped proscenium theatre, and I built the set for about seven hundred dollars.  If one of your company's immeadiate goals is ticket revenues, then DHSM a "sure thing".   We sold out all four nights, (but so what, our goal is theatre education, not putting butts in the seats).

To answer your questions:
1)  Modified for school?   Yes, we modified it in a few very minor, but successful, ways:
One, as I mentioned in an earlier post, was to put the new morning announcements character on a TV monitor instead of doing a set change for him every time.   Jack's announcements not only forward the plot, but they act as bridges to cover the big set changes.   My set crew was able to complete every set change within the time it took Jack to do his TV bits.  So I was able to greatly increase the pace and excitement of the show by putting him backstage on closed-circuit TV.  

The other minor adjustment was to "over cast" the show.  We had such a tremendous turn out at auditions that our director decided to cast 58 actors plus 22 ushers.  These girls passed out programs and sold concessions in their cheerleading outfits, then for the opening and closing numbers they padded the chorus numbers by singing from the aisles and proscenium steps.  These bonus voices really added punch to the finale' that always brought big ovations.

2)  Was the music hard?  Yes, (from the impression I got from our music director), this show was much harder for younger voices that the usual R&H musicals.  Many of the songs are Idol-esque pop tunes that require more range and experience than your classic Broadway show tunes.  

In my opinion, the toughest song for teenage actors to pull off is "Get'cha Head in the Game" in Act I, Scene 4.  This is sung by boys.  Many young boys have less vocal experience than girls, (plus their voices are still changing).   But what made it tough is that this song is chopped up by two brief flashback sequences with Troy.   As Troy returns from flashbacks I thought the basketball team seemed to struggle to get their heads back in the song.   (Besides, Troy was wearing a body mic, while the chorus was merely picked up on a floor mic).

One other issue that makes the music hard, is that your teenage talent pool walks into your theatre with the Disney Channel movie soundtrack already memorized!  The CD was a top seller with teenagers.  But this stage version has a slightly different score.  So, at your first day of rehearsals, I recommend you put a moratorium on the use of the movie DVD or the soundtrack CD.   Tell the cast they ARE NOT re-staging the darn movie!  They should look to the script and do their own interpretation.

3)  Is the play better than the movie.  Yes, (in my opinion), the stage musical is better than the movie.  I felt like the movie was glossy fluff, like an episode of The Brady Bunch or Saved by the Bell.   The movie kids had a glazed and artificial attitude that reminded me of the old Annette and Frankie beach movies.

What makes a stage production of this material more endearing to your audience is that THESE ARE YOUR KIDS, not stock Disney automatons.  The fact that your audience already knows and loves your cast members makes the show that much more exciting and appealing.   So with that in mind, every local production nationwide is assured to be a hit.

The stage version kicks butt at the end with what I call "the longest curtain call in theatre history".   The script calls it the "megamix".  Small portions of the cast comes out to take a bow between reprises of EVERY song in the show.   This takes almost ten minutes!   But hey, it pumps the audience into a frenzy.

However, one thing that the movie CAN do that we cannot is:  make"cuts" between one scene and another.  On film they can cut between The Gym/The Theatre/The Lab in a split second.   But in a theatrical production, we must find ways to stage these three locations simaltaneously.  

I used minimalist set pieces as visual cues to tell the audience what was what.   And I had really tight area lighting to carve up the stage into three distinct locations.  (Once again, I will post some photos any day now...)

4)  Have you gotten and ridicule for it being "not a real musical"? 
No, there were NO such comments from the cast or the patrons.  Everybody loved it.   

But yes, you get this sentiment from ME!!!  Call me old-school, but 'dis ain't theatre!   In my opinion, Disney's High School Musical is not so much theatre as it is some sort of epic-pageant-spectacle-event-thingy!   It's like those peppy stage reviews you see every summer at Bush Gardens or Six Flags.   But is it theatre?   Well sort of, in a "Up With People" gone Raven-Symoné kind of way.

But hey, I'm a Technical Director.  I did the entire set for $700 worth of red & white paint and confetti cannons.   Personally, when I do musical theatre, I prefer to build massive castles like in Beauty & the Beast, or grand staircases like in Hello Dolly, or design artsy-fartsy lighting like in Westside Story.  So this was a "no brainer" or maybe a "just another day at the office" kind of show for me. 

The real question you might ask is, "Did the kids learn much acting technique and stagecraft during this production?"  (Well, it ain't "The Miracle Worker" or "Hamlet"!)   But let's be fair.  In the final analysis, if all my young new Thespians at least have A FUN TIME in the wonderful world of performing arts, and they at least learn SL from SR, and what "Heads up!" means, and that it's tacky to peek out a crack in the main drape...then hey, IT'S THEATRE!!!   Wheeee!

Seriously, I will close with these basic points:
-The word of mouth is so powerful that you could sell out every show even if the total extent of your advertising campaign was ONE FLYER.  

-It's a fun and upbeat show that is full of energy.  People leave your lobby with broad smiles at the end of the evening.  I had the tunes stuck in my head for two weeks afterwords!

-It is all-inclusive.  There is a part for everybody, regardless of talent level. 

-It has that ever-important draw for MALE talent.  You will have no trouble getting jocks out of the gym to audition for this one!  (The script is ironic in that respect).

-The music could be canned, or as in our case, performed by a small pit combo of six instruments.

-The rehearsal period is easy because you can ask just the leads to come on most nights, and have the chorus come once or twice a week do run the big dance numbers.

-Don't worry about the set.  Because when it all comes down to it, audiences just want to see the kids SING AND DANCE!  (The locations are still etched in their minds from recently seeing the movie).

-And regardless of how perky and "pop" this show appears to be at first, surprisingly, there are actually a couple of really nice "theatre moments" that are very poignant.   Such as Troy & Gabi's sweet duets "I Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" and "When There Was Me and You", and the reconciliation scenes with the coach and the drama teacher.

Go for it Thomas!  What the heck, you can always do something meatier like "Les Mis" NEXT season!   Break a leg,  Dana

-------------
Mr. Lowell,
at Greensboro Day School

Date Posted: 3/22/07 at 8:31pm
Good to hear. 

Any pictures?

Posted By: eveharrington
Date Posted: 3/23/07 at 1:40am
I'm glad to hear that your show is going well but I do have to say I am already sick of this show. No less than five different productions are going up within a hundred miles of me in the next year.

-------------
"If nothing else, there's applause... like waves of love pouring over the footlights."

Date Posted: 3/23/07 at 8:46am
Yes, many schools and community theaters are doing it in this area as well.  In fact, I have already promised all my show-specific scenery to the childrens' community theater in town.   They're doing it next season with young teens. 

I also saw the production done at the local Catholic high school.  They 
staged it in their gymnasium for what looked like two thousand people!  One cool thing about their production was that for "Get'cha Head in the Game", they cut off all the lights and did a routine with two dozen green "glow in the dark" basketballs!!!  And at the end of the finale' they did a massive balloon drop that rivals the Democratic National Convention!  I guess there is no limit to the spectacle possible with this juggernaut.

But you are right, I think everyone and his brother will be doing this show next season.  It was a smart business move for Disney to quickly release rights for this as a stage production!   No doubt EVERY theatre company will have to give in to popular demand and do the obligatory production High School Musical before the wave crests.

Personally, I'm waiting for release of Broadway shows like "Wicked" and "Spamalot".  Thumbs%20Up

Break a leg.  -Dana

-------------
Mr. Lowell,
at Greensboro Day School

Date Posted: 3/23/07 at 12:14pm
Is the Music different than the Movie?

Better?

Thomas

Date Posted: 3/23/07 at 12:34pm
Hi Thomas,
I e-mailed my Music Director and she says that the play is different from the movie because it has added songs, changed wording, and songs that are repeated a lot. 

She says it is "just different enough from the movie to be confusing".

But, contrary to what I saw in rehearsal, she states that learning the music for DHSM is no harder than learning music for the average Broadway-style musical that we often do.

She has other more technical details about the score to offer you, but prefers to take a phone call from you if have more questions.   (If you want her number, please contact me using the Private Messenger feature above). 

Thanks, Dana

-------------
Mr. Lowell,
at Greensboro Day School

Date Posted: 3/24/07 at 4:17am

Personally, I'm waiting for release of Broadway shows like "Wicked" and "Spamalot".

Yes! Me too

-------------
"If nothing else, there's applause... like waves of love pouring over the footlights."

Posted By: trutter
Date Posted: 4/30/07 at 8:49am
Add another one who is directing HSM this Fall.  It seems we are popping up everywhere, which I first thought was bad, but maybe it is actually good. :)

Just had a question - does anybody have any set photos from their productions they would be willing to post? 

I went and saw the professional Minneapolis Childrens Theater production (the official Test theater for Disney) and it was spectacular.  It was truly an "event."   It had 2 levels with kids dancing and bouncing from one to the other.  Very exciting.

My goal is to also do it on a two-level set, but would like to get some ideas from theaters using just a normal set.  We are a blackbox theater, so we can't do anything TOO extravagant, but we did a great 2 level set for Arsenic last year that would merely need to be slightly modified.

By the way, I have just recently redesigned our web site and have been trying to add productions to our photo gallery.  The photos I mentioned from Arsenic are up there right now.  Our current production running the next 2 weeks is Picasso at the Lagin Agile.  Photos from that one are on the Picasso page itself, since I don't want to spoil the entire play.  I usually add 21 photos to the gallery after the show closes. :)

http://www.actorsinc.org/ - http://www.actorsinc.org

Date Posted: 4/30/07 at 8:53am
I used a two level set for DHSM.  I have lots of photos.  Hopefully I can find time to post them here within the week.   -Dana

-------------
Mr. Lowell,
at Greensboro Day School

Posted By: krisk71
Date Posted: 5/01/07 at 9:07pm

I have some photos I need to get my disc out- here is 1 or two on my computer....  there are a few on my website also:

http://www.capitalareaproductions.com - www.capitalareaproductions.com

-------------
Kristina
www.capitalareaproductions.com

Date Posted: 5/01/07 at 9:34pm

We used 3 backdrops and lots of furniture for our show (done in February- sold out 3 shows at 1200+ people each show!)

We had a full school back drop, hallway (then added lockers etc...) the hallway was neat because it had cutouts for doors we used and then the gym backdrop.

-------------
Kristina

Date Posted: 5/03/07 at 5:15pm
thank you for the photos.  I just got done posting the audition "character list" and am exhausted.   I guess it wasn't until I looked at the entire thing that I realized how big a cast this can be.

We are a blackbox theater that seats around 130, so Im pretty sure selling out will not be a problem.  I halfway wish we would relocate to the university facility, or a middle school/high school aud for the # of people, but we should still do ok. :)

Auditions in 3 weeks!

Date Posted: 5/11/07 at 10:42pm
Question- has anyone been told recently that Disney has restricted the rights to High School Musical?????  A local group went to apply online today and was told that since February the show has become restricted.   Apparently only rights granted before then are being honored- no new licenses being issued.
Anyone hear or know of this?????
Thanks

-------------
Kristina

Date Posted: 5/12/07 at 11:45pm
That is the first I've heard of it, but they can certainly restrict it at their leisure, especially if:

a) another theater is doing it within close proximity to your theater, and within a month

b) the touring version of the musical is coming to a venue nearby, within a month

or even c) the "Disney on Ice" version is coming to a venue nearby within a month

Usually thats the case with restricteds, but maybe they have just stopped giving out licenses on a whim?  I probably need to check on ours, since we were told yes earlier in the year, but not sure if we actually got something in writing.

THAT would be a mess since we've already announced it, now wouldn't it?

-------------
------
Troy A. Rutter
Author, "Kids in the Biz: A Hollywood Handbook for Parents"
http://www.kidsinthebiz.com/ - http://www.kidsinthebiz.com/
A Heinemann Drama Publication

Date Posted: 5/12/07 at 11:54pm
They apparently have stopped giving out ALL rights.   The show was not restricted (there was another local group doing the full version of the show same weekend as ours!)  And the tour was coming 2 weeks before too! So it is not because of that. 
I understand from MTI (our rep Uriah) that it is ALL licenses- only ones already issued will be honored.  So just curious- let me know how you make out!
Thanks

PS- it was also already annouced and auditions were set with the local group I was going to work with- so that has to be cancelled now! So same boat here!

-------------
Kristina

Date Posted: 5/13/07 at 12:08am
Apparently we were granted permission on March 9th, but obviously we have yet to order materials.  Maybe they have frozen the rights because all the materials are currently out?  Would be weird, but stranger things have happened.

I will have to make sure we call our rep again next week, just to be sure.

-------------
------
Troy A. Rutter

Date Posted: 5/13/07 at 6:03pm
Okay everyone, as I promised... Pictures from my March production of Disney's High School Musical.

Unfortunately, I know all of us were looking for pictures to help us get a set design idea.  My photog.. took most of these pictures to 'give' a CD to Moms and Dads.  Thus, it's difficult in a lot of them to see the sets but hopefully it gives you an idea.  We have a proscenium stage and no fly galleryAngry

Here's my web site where I"ll store the pix for about a month.  If I can answer any questions, let me Know!

http://thewichitaconnection.com/DIZHSM.htm - http://thewichitaconnection.com/DIZHSM.htm

Da Mama Luvs Ya!

-------------
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

Date Posted: 5/14/07 at 8:36pm
I called our rep today and had a long talk on behalf of the group who I was going to work with and was told Disney has restricted 95% of all license requests since February because of the tours, concerts etc... they are only issuing rights to Schools grades K-12, no childrens theaters etc....   just schools.  He did say to put the request in anyway- there is a slim slim chance it could go through (which they did)  But generally it is not going to happen. 
So that is the latest scoop!
Kristina

-------------
Kristina

Date Posted: 5/14/07 at 8:46pm
our license was granted in february, but we never received the actual contract... and phone calls were never returned.  So.... technically the contract expired.  We got a hold of another rep today, who faxed us the contract (still says March though) and we are sending it in with full payment overnight to try and get something finalized.

If it doesnt happen, ill need to join the witness relocation program

-------------
------
Troy A. Rutter

Date Posted: 5/18/07 at 12:05pm
Good news- it should happen after all that we were granted the rights! So it is hit or miss it looks like- if they faxed you another one you are good to go! 
Thank goodness - we were worried. Bottom line request the rights anyway and see what happens (but have  a back up plan) for everyone else!

-------------
Kristina

Date Posted: 5/20/07 at 8:32pm
Just got back from seeing Jeff's group production of HSM.  This being the 2nd version I have seen (the 1st being the professional theater in Minneapolis) I must say it was VERY good show.  Kudos!

I wonder if I can kidnap "Ryan" and relocate him here for our October production....  ;)

Everybody did a great job and you should be VERY proud, Jeff!

-------------
------
Troy A. Rutter

Date Posted: 5/20/07 at 10:01pm
Troy - thanks for coming down today.  I was really worried about this show as we had a very "shoe-string" budget.  (Smallest budget I've EVER had for a musical by far!)  And considering the space limitations (almost no wing space) we did the best we could with "set" and such.  The kids were AMAZING to work with!  This was one of the few shows I got teary-eyed when it closed.  I wish I had spent some time to show you the space, but I was kind of a wreck tonight...  Once again, thanks for your support and coming to the show! 

Date Posted: 5/20/07 at 10:05pm
Oh - and Ryan was such a super kid.  He's playing Nathan in City Circle production of "Full Monty".  He's so sweet and so much fun.  We had 12 different schools represented in our production.  Possibly the most fun I've had directing in years!  For some reason, working with kids kind of re-energizes my own passion for theatre.  After 10 years I guess one needs that to reaffirm some things!

Posted By: billyD
Date Posted: 5/22/07 at 10:47am
I direct at a high school, not a community theatre, but we were one of the seven schools in America chosen premiere Disney's HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL. We feel quite honored. Pictures are posted on our website: www.reddragonplayers.com.

I'll be glad to answer any questions.

billyD

Date Posted: 5/22/07 at 5:35pm
Thanks for the pictures, Billy.  We were among the 1st middle schools to be granted Disney permission.  It was fun to say but....... must admit, Diz gave us very little in the way of ideas with which we could create.  Still, it was a great experience for all of us.  Your set is most creative and professional looking.  Thanks.
Jean Ann
http://thewichitaconnection.com/DIZHSM.htm - http://thewichitaconnection.com/DIZHSM.htm

-------------
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

Date Posted: 5/29/07 at 3:31am
Hm.  One thing I noticed is that every production I have seen of HSM on stage (ok, a whole 2 productions) has omitted the " mis-spelling of the shirts scene, which is in the script.  I realize that it is a small scene, with no real purpose, but it's interesting that it was left out of both productions I have seen.

Unless I totally blanked and missed it, which is possible.  I admit I was intently observing little things that most people don't see, and could have easily had my attention misdirected. 

Having my auditions this weekend.   getting closer!  (oh yeah, and our production is listed on MTI now.  Woo hoo!)

-------------
------
Troy A. Rutter

Date Posted: 5/29/07 at 8:15am

I used the Old Crab scene in my show, as written.  Granted, it wasn't an important scene but it was for us, a necessity as a bridge scene.  We worked without a fly system and very little backstage space.  Thus, getting a large # of actors from r to l., etc had to become a part of their blocking.  That scene was perfect for such a move, getting the actors ready for the biggest headache in the script; 3 scenes in one!
It worked and the audience actually got a big laugh out of it.
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

-------------
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

Date Posted: 5/29/07 at 10:03am
Troy -

We cut it because we didn't have enough kids to pull it off.  We also didn't need a lot of time because we didn't really have big set changes except dropping things in or rolling them quickly on.  I was sad to have to cut it - but we just couldn't get it to work out well.  =(

And I haven't forgotten about responding to your e-mail.  Just been working a lot recently at my "real" job.  Will respond and get that stuff out in the mail to you soon!

Thanks!
Jeff

Date Posted: 5/29/07 at 12:06pm
Jeff - :)  I just drove from Des Moines to Houston and back so im not exactly in the best mindset right now anyway.  16 hours one way and then 16 hours back is way too long to be left alone with your own thoughts.

I did find some youtube videos of the 2 new songs that are very helpful.  Also there is one video (search for "betrayal scene") that is VERY well done that I keep playing over and over and hoping ours will be as good or better.

-------------
------
Troy A. Rutter

Date Posted: 6/06/07 at 5:07pm
Well, Im into the callbacks tonight where we do the movement (dance) extravaganza.  We've had 35 audition, so I could cast all of them, but I am still short a few basketball players and the 2 skater dudes. 

I had forgotten how tough it is to make the final casting decisions.   AIGH!

-------------
------
Troy A. Rutter

Date Posted: 6/07/07 at 12:52am
I ended up with a cast of 70 because the school requested I cast everyone who auditioned if they did not have schedule conflicts. (Fortunately, about 20 did have conflicts.)  It took a lot of thinking but we found something for all to do.  Might consider a couple of gals for skaters... they might enjoy the costume look.  Getting enough ball players is tough.  I was lucky as the coaches are required to keep my rehearsal slot open so they can be in a show if they wish.  In the end, it worked out great.  Those guys have taught some of the music #'s to their team and it's been incorporated in their practices.  I had a lot of guys almost in tears at the beginning saying, "I can't SING, Bounce the BALL and do a dance step at the same time!!!!"  Another good way to use those kids 'not so talented' is in the theatre 'excercise' scene.  They loved creating their costumes and the 'thing' they would be in the scene.  If you don't have enough guys for the team, you can always have it be a 3 on 3 practice with others watching.  For a while, I thought I might need extra male voices.  I was going to put 3 of the boys in maintainence uniforms with push brooms and have them watching the practice.  But, as I said, I had guys come out of the woodwork.  Good luck with final casting.  It's always a tear jerker but you DO find out where the egos are when one or two drop because they did not get the lead and thought they should ;-)  Da Mama Luvs Ya!

-------------
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

Date Posted: 7/02/07 at 10:18am
Question -

How do you promote your show, when you are supposed to use only "approved" graphics, when the Photo CD won't come until your 8 week rehearsal time.  Makes doing "legal" season fliers, brochures, etc difficult. :/

-------------
------
Troy A. Rutter

Date Posted: 7/02/07 at 12:12pm
Yeah, sometimes I think Disney thinks we're all 10 years old... we'll just pay exhorbitantly then do just as they say.  I had the same problemo.  We knew the rules were basically going to be approved graphics and we all know the Music Theatre rules.
I think my marketing crew wrote /\ and they sent a couple ahead of time, told them to look at the official site... or some such.  And on this one, truthfully it's the name that sells it, anyway.  Did you get enough guys for the jocks?  Da Mama Luvs Ya!

-------------
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

Date Posted: 7/06/07 at 9:45am
Another question: cast t-shirts.

Contract says we cant create any "merchandise" which I take it to be to sell to the public.

They offer "their" movie T-shirts.

But what about cast shirts?  Or is it a matter of don't ask dont tell...

-------------
------
Troy A. Rutter

Posted By: theatrigal
Date Posted: 7/27/07 at 10:39pm
Hi Everyone. I am new here and cant tell you how much reading all your posts is helping me! Bless you.

I am doing HSM One ACT with my 7-8th graders and I am NO TD...so I am looking for photos of any of the two level sets you all describe. My million dollar theater was built by non-theater folk....windows in wings, no sink or water source nearby , no fly apparatus...need I say more? Limited wing space, but workable. I have parents who will help build it if I can get an idea of an effiecient and effective set and I like the ideas here. I do have some tri-sided revolves I built this year that can help illustrate different locations, but I LOVE the idea of permanent levels. I do have a scab wall and a horrible black teaser as well! Ayn ideas or photos would be greatly appreciated! I hold auditions in 2 weeks!

Date Posted: 7/28/07 at 6:40pm
I hope this helps.  I am VERY excited that I'm a nerd when it comes to tech - knowledge yet, I FIGURED FINALLY HOW TO LOAD THE VIDEO CLIPS from my March DHSM Full production.  There are 5 clips and each are about 2 1/2 minutes long from the most popular musical numbers in the show.  It MIGHT give those of you with no flys an idea of what can be done.  It worked well for us.
Our professional Summer Music Theatre just did the show as one of the first in the country also.  Several of our kids got in the show though the leads were older with much stronger voices.  And, with corporate sponsors, their sets were just to die for.  But, I DO have to say, our little middle school boys were FAR superior in the Getch Head #... probably because they are intent basketball players, not singers/dancers ;-)
Anyway, I'll leave the clips on my web site along with the pictures at the bottom of that page.  Hope it helps any of you to see what can be done... or what shouldn't be done Wink Da Mama
Luvs Ya!  http://thewichitaconnection.com/DIZHSM.htm - http://thewichitaconnection.com/DIZHSM.htm
Hope the link works!... If not... oh well Dead

-------------
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

Posted By: theatrigal
Date Posted: 7/28/07 at 10:03pm
drama mama; Thanks so much for your response. I was unable to access your videos - but I am on an OLD Mac at home. I will try it at school on my PC. Your photos are wonderful - it looks like it was a very special production. I am starting to get excited about mine, thanks to you! I will check back once I try to view your videos again. Thanks! theatrigal

Date Posted: 7/29/07 at 12:22am
  Well, Pooh Tongue Been there, done that with the old Mac. 
Yes, be sure and write down the url and try it on a pc. 
They all seemed to load very fast on the kids' computers once I sent them the url.
As I've said, the video shows the sets better. 
The pictures were really taken for 'Moms and Dads' to see their babies.

You will have a great time with the show.  The kids love every minute of it.  Mine are now saying "We wish you could make a play out of HAIRSPRAY"  When I told them it was a play, they about had strokes.  One of the mom's asked me if I thought I could get the rights to it next year.  I said, I don't think getting the rights would be the problem with that show at a Kansas Private School. Clap
Anyway, good luck with the clips.  Hope you get them open one of these days.
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

-------------
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

Date Posted: 8/13/07 at 2:33pm
My favroite song so far is the arrangement of "When There Was Me and You" - if done right it will be a huge hit.  Im glad Im not playing Troy - Id be in tears unable to sing every night!

-------------
------
Troy A. Rutter

Date Posted: 8/13/07 at 5:06pm
It's a great song.  I think mine is Status Quo.  I love seeing kids in that awkward, embarrassed by everything age who break out of their mold and discover they CAN do something else... like 17 boys who found out they could dance, sing AND bounce a basketball at the same time.
Friday night?........  Oh my.  Big pizza party at my house as they try and see if DHSM2 is any good.  I'll be curious to hear all their remarks.
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

-------------
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

Date Posted: 8/15/07 at 8:27am
start of week 2 and boy am I scared...

-------------
------
Troy A. Rutter

Date Posted: 8/17/07 at 8:32pm
As I write this, the Disney Channel is airing "High School Musical 2".  

And I understand that the young lady who played Gabriel in our local production of DHSM last March is holding a "premiere party" at her house tonight. 

Which begs the question:  How long will it be before we see the stage version of the sequel?!  Confused

-------------
Mr. Lowell,
at Greensboro Day School

Date Posted: 8/19/07 at 1:53am
I watched it, I didn't want to it was like a train wreck, couldn't look away. I'm clinging to the hope that since a good portion of it was set outside, we might be spared. It was every bit as bad as Grease 2.

-------------

Date Posted: 8/19/07 at 8:59am
I also watched it with the middle schoolers whom I directed the show with last March.  Less than half way through, the submarine sandwiches and music in the other room became much more interesting for the majority.  Too bad.  It would have been a great follow up money maker.  Evidentally, Diz didn't want to let loose of #2. 
Let's see; a school scene (or 2), a swimming pool, a restaurant kitchen, a stage area, a golf course and a mountain top... not to mention the incidental scenes.....
NOT going to happen unless they do a major re-write.  And for middle schoolers, there were waaay too many slow songs. 
Eh! So.  For those that have done DHSM 1, what's on your schedule this year? 
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

-------------
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

Date Posted: 8/21/07 at 4:39pm
ugh - have had 5 people drop out during the first 2 weeks.  "too busy after all." 

now i know why most people cast college students for high schoolers in plays.

Im optimistic still, but the challenge of refilling those roles in 6 weeks is one I am not looking forward to.

-------------
------
Troy A. Rutter

Date Posted: 8/29/07 at 9:32pm
This may be intersting for those planning to do the 'High School Musical';-
http://stage-directions.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=383&Itemid=40 - http://stage-directions.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=383&Itemid=40

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 8/29/07 at 10:37pm
Joe.... whass up?  I tried to click on the link and it re- directed me to McAfee's security warning saying that site was a serious breach and could cause a virus... so, can ya just TELL us what the link info was?  My curiosity is peaked... I just don't want to kill a cat or my puter ;-)
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

-------------
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

Date Posted: 8/29/07 at 11:40pm
it works for me - however heres the home page of 'Stage Directions magazine.

http://stage-directions.com/ - http://stage-directions.com

If you get there, click the home psge & then , scroll half way down to the article in the centre coloum - hope this helps![= http://stage-directions.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1 - http://stage-directions.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Bewdy Mama!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: Wildhorsearts
Date Posted: 9/09/07 at 5:44pm
Hello!  We are starting rehearsals for HSM this week.  Do you still have anything you used on your show for sale?  Thanks!

-------------
C. Scott

Date Posted: 9/11/07 at 2:31pm
Question for everybody who has done HSM...

During the "3 in 1" scene... do you have Kelsi at the piano during Ryan/Sharpay's audition dance?  I know she has to be there later to run off and find Troy/Gab (even though they come in by themselves later)  But I was just wondering.. where's Kelsey?

Also, did you have Ryan/Sharpay just "freeze" during the gym/lab "go audition" parts, or did they keep dancing without music?

Having some difficulty in tidying up those 2 parts.

-------------
------
Troy A. Rutter

Date Posted: 9/12/07 at 9:32pm
How quickly we forget... what we did, etc.  I THINK, I had Kelsey either run off stage in anger once she punched on the jam box for them OR... I had her sit at the piano with an disgruntled glare at them.  Either way, she was there to say.... I'll play for them... or whatever the line is.
I did have Ryan and Sharpay freeze because the way my stage was set up, I had their scene quasi- blacked out whenever the others were 'on'.  That's not a lot of help, sorry.  If I run across my director's notes while I'm cleaning house HA! in the next couple of days, I'll check it out for you.
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

-------------
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

Posted By: decafjake
Date Posted: 9/17/07 at 4:05pm
Hello all!

Let me introduce myself, I'm Jacob Coakley, editor of Stage Directions magazine (www.stage-directions.com).  Found this community when I was looking for resources to help with some High School Musical pieces we're doing in an upcoming issue.

One thing I wanted to let everyone know is that as part of our coverage, we're trying to collect as many photos as possible from as many different productions of this show as possible. So if you have some show shots you'd like to show off - send them our way! You can send your e-mails to hsm(at)stage-directions(dot)com. Please include the name of the school, the names of the actors if it's a close up on someone, and definitely include the name of the school and performance dates. If you have a photo credit, we can include that as well. Photos should be around 1MB in size -- or least 900 pixels by 1200 pixels (That comes out to 3x4 inches when we print them.)

If you have any questions, go ahead and PM me, and I'll give you any info you need. And of course, please feel free to forward this info on to anyone, or copy this post anywhere you like.

Thanks a million, and I'm looking forward to seeing these pics!

-Jacob

-------------
--
Jacob Coakley
jcoakley(at)stage-directions.com

Date Posted: 9/24/07 at 6:52pm
OK...this may be lame but I can't find photos of Spider Bill Natrine, Sam Netletter, and Hap Haddon for the flip chart scene in HSM.   Are these real people???  I have the others for the lab scene but they were easy.  Those of you who already did the show, what did you do for these photos? 

Thanks!

-------------
C. Scott

Date Posted: 9/24/07 at 7:21pm
We used photos of other (unrecognizable) basketball players.  Just searched Yahoo! images and pulled some up.  We didn't have the photos blown up, so no one was the wiser.  We actually kept the photos in binders because it was just to darned clumsy for us to pull the easels out and then keep them out during the choreography.  (Our choreographer went a little crazy and had people all over the stage during that number) It was almost like they were showing the photos of the basketball players in a yearbook.   

Date Posted: 9/24/07 at 7:51pm
LOL!  I'd forgotten.  Not wanting to appear unknowledgeable to my true basketball a holics... prior to rehearsal, I searched and googled all the names endlessly.  Finally, someone told me they were ficticious.  (GEEZE!  Wouldn't ya think for all that royalty, Diz could have at least told us that?)  Thus, we got high school sports pictures of some of the school's favorite teachers, had their pix blown up and used their names.  For Coach Bolton, we used his 4th grade biddy ball picture.  Actually, those who did it as a yearbook were smarter.  The easels were a HUGE pain and ditto, my choreographer used dancers everywhere in that scene.
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

-------------
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

Date Posted: 9/25/07 at 10:44am
Well, the time has finally come - our production starts this Friday.

Here were a few of the articles so far...

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/media/storage/paper818/news/2007/09/20/Fyi/high-School.Musical.Comes.To.Ames-2980277.shtml - Iowa State Daily
http://www.midiowanews.com/site/tab1.cfm?newsid=18837488&BRD=2700&PAG=461&dept_id=554340&rfi=6 - Ames Tribune

Deep breaths!

-------------
------
Troy A. Rutter

Date Posted: 9/27/07 at 11:01am
BTW. the "little things" sure do help boost morale. 

I made laminated "credentials" for those working the show (ushering, sound, lights, stage manager, etc) and everybody perked up and thought they were really nifty.  All they are, are the luggage tags you can buy at staples - I had the laminator.

Dress rehearsal tonight, opening tomorrow.  I guess most of my work is done... time to sit back and be proud. :)  I'll post a gallery link once I go through all the photos I took last night.

here's a general set one... during a pseudo-dress for Status Quo...

-------------
------
Troy A. Rutter

Posted By: tristanrobin
Date Posted: 10/01/07 at 7:45am
Okay. I'm going to ask a question which might seem blasphemous to some here Tongue ... but, full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes.

After all this time, I finally watched "High School Musical" last night. I have to ask: do adults like this the way the kids do? Though the script was kinda/sorta okay - in that Mickey Rooney/Judy Garland no real story way - it just seemed so, well, so amateurish. I was really surprised, knowing that it's this huge cultural phenomenon. It seemed to have so little stakes - it's not even about the success of a show - it's about an audition! LOL The songs seem pedestrian at best (a couple of the ensemble numbers were energetic)...and the singers in the film were all in serious need of adenoid removal - I've never heard so many nasal singers in one show LOL.

Please explain to this old fogey what makes this show so popular!!! I knew going into it that it would most likely not be Sondheim - but...but...but...!!! Confused

Date Posted: 10/01/07 at 9:27am
 I have to agree, it was hard to keep my eyes open!
But the staged show might be different?

This may interest those who have staged it!
This was in the 'Stage Directions'
As breaking news;-

"High School Musical: On Stage, with more than 1500 grade schools and high schools showing interest in staging the production. To get your production pictured in the December Stage Directions focus on the musical, send your pics to hsm@stage-directions.com - hsm@stage-directions.com . In order to document the phenom of all the school productions, Disney selected two high schools in Fort Worth, Texas, to perform the musical to be filmed and featured in a “docu-musical” – called High School Musical: The Music in You – airing this fall as part of a public affairs initiative in association with the NAMM Foundation, a non-profit organization that advocates for musical education. To support the schools and the work of NAMM, ETC (Electronic Theatre Controls, Inc.), donated the lighting equipment for the production"

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: Brian553
Date Posted: 10/02/07 at 2:51pm
Hi,

I just applied for the rights to this show.  However, I'm now wondering if the rights to perform this show cost much more than most other MTI shows since Disney is probably taking a huge cut?
Last year I paid about $2200 or show for the rights for the show and the materials rental for a standard Stephen Schwartz show.  
Any estimations on what the rights for HSM will be?
I have an 800 seat house and will be doing 4 performances....

Brian

Date Posted: 10/22/07 at 1:43pm
We closed last night after 12 performances.  I was called up, which usually never happens and is a subject on one of the boards here, and the cast gave me a dozen roses.... and then our Sharpay somehow managed to get the "cake" out and let me have it square in the face as she so often had to.

I was surprised, to say the least... but hey the audience and cast loved it. 

:)

It was rocky at times, but I wouldn't change any of it, truly a rewarding experience.

Now I can sleep. 

-------------
------
Troy A. Rutter

Posted By: Scott B
Date Posted: 10/22/07 at 4:27pm
I think as long as it's your kids on stage it's always going to be great. ;-)

I've not seen the movie version, but did see a local high school's version and it was at best, not good.  You would have to put me into the category of someone that just doesn't get it.

It came across as a somewhat sterile version of Grease.

I haven't heard anything about the sequel yet, but if it's like most ... ?

Posted By: JoeMc
Date Posted: 10/22/07 at 10:55pm
It proves a piont that with most of these shows, any thing will work. Just roundup up the young performers, workshop a generic genre, from thier input. Then add music, colour & movement - you have a show.
Don't worry about the script, formulate from thier input ideas - any generic TV genre will do & it won't cost fees. Only in respect of music used or they could produce thier own - might be something to try?

Posted By: avcastner
Date Posted: 10/24/07 at 11:48pm
When the musical first hit TV in 2006, my students were all over me to see it.  When I finally got around to seeing it last year, I thought . . . so, what's the big deal?

Well, I have now developed an appreciation for the choreography, but I still think it's just a fad.

The professional tour comes to the LA Kodak Theatre in December.  I wonder how it will fare.  I haven't been too impressed by the "Pep Rally" at Disney's California Adventure, and I haven't bothered to see the "On Ice" show.

-------------

Posted By: tristanrobin
Date Posted: 10/25/07 at 11:35am
I don't know whether to be embarrassed or proud ... but I've never seen an ice show in my life.

Posted By: POB14
Date Posted: 10/25/07 at 3:00pm
If you guys think HSM is bad, try HSM2 sometime . . . .

-------------
POB
Old Bugger, Curmudgeon, and Antisocial B**tard

Date Posted: 10/25/07 at 5:38pm
Wellll, Seen both, done ONE.  When I saw #1, I thought, "No!  This canNOT be the most popular thing with teenies today!"  So.  Wanting kids to experience the thrill of the stage and knowing I could work kids of all talent levels into the show, I did it.  We were about the 5th amatuer company in the nation to do the show, I think.  An instant sellout.  If you're really a lover of theatre, not everything has to be a classic to be appreciated... not everything has to be low brow to interest teens... not everything has to be dramatic to be 'art'.  And, not everything has to be a musical or the audience will walk.  Are we doing live theatre just to do the shows that please us?  Are we simply trying to educate students about theatre?  NO!  It will die if we do that.  Listen.  I know my middle schoolers that did the show had cracking voices with their high energy.  But it didn't matter.  Everyone wanted to be involved in the show in some way and THAT is what makes a great production.  Did adults like the show?  Last summer after we did it, our City Professional Company did the show as one of the first professional companies in the country to produce it.  Again.  It sold out 9 performances in 12 hours and at the end of the summer's 5 show run, it sold out for another 3 performances.  The long time season ticket holders adored it.
Da Mama Luvs Ya!  Troy, glad you felt it, saw it and did it!
http://thewichitaconnection.com/DIZHSM - http://thewichitaconnection.com/DIZHSM

-------------
Da Mama Luvs Ya!

Date Posted: 10/25/07 at 10:26pm
In about the 60's I was involved with shows some what similar, cobbled together & just as popular.
why they were is still a mystery, to me & everyone else?
I worked on these shows like 'Rock with the Cavemen' & other such drivvel. But it did not stop full house attendance, to see the likes of 'Tommy Steele' & others. Who just tacked a show together that had little or any story line or substance - but they cioned in the brass anyway.
I can't say if these shows were like a book or novel, that would not be worth the ink or paper. Because some of the biggest selling paper back books are still the Mills & boons romantic rubbish, writen to a specified formula.
Same with this HSM, while it's tripe, it makes good ecomomical theatre.
so to that end it is like cycling the same old crap push bike with just  different riders.

Date Posted: 11/18/07 at 1:53pm
Ack.

According to the MTI web site... when you log into MyMTI and check your invoice for a show...

Everything shows as returned from our recent HSM production except, the accompaniment CD.  Which is $2000 to replace!!!!   I KNOW it was in there, since I triple checked because of the outrageous replacement fee.

So what happens if they keep saying it wasnt returned?  I really don't want to pay $2000 for something I know was returned.  Its all a bit sketchy to me.

I have emails in to my account rep and supervisor.   Im scared to death!!

-------------
------
Troy A. Rutter

Date Posted: 11/18/07 at 3:01pm
Can anyone tell me what they used for the pie?  Real whipped cream or shaving cream?  I've heard both but I want to find out what it the best for clean up, etc.

Thanks!

-------------
C. Scott

Date Posted: 11/18/07 at 4:32pm
both are messy, but whipped cream doesnt burn sharpay's eyes if it gets in them...

id go with whipped cream. :)

-------------
------
Troy A. Rutter

Date Posted: 11/18/07 at 6:58pm
I prefer shaving cream, as it dosent go off & stink if bits are left over after clean up. The first you know beyond the smell is moss starts growing in the weirdest of places. Such as the jionts in flats & cloth drapes & equipment.
If you use up chopped old style shaving Styk or spray cans of shaving cream, ensure it is well & truly whipped, say in a domestic blender. This seems to work in getting rid of   the  sting effect.
When I was a kid working back stage for Pantomimes, my first job before each performance was mixing buckets of slosh, by hand. These days you can use an electric drill with a paint mixing attachment, which is much easier & wiil foam up better.
It is easy to clean up & wash out of costumes, even using vegtable dyes for coloured foam. As it is derivded from fats compounds & not soap, the stinking comes from the sodium binder used, but is virtualy deminished with high spead mixing in warm hot water.
It also tends to hold it's foam peaking better than cream, as it is not subject to turning to it's liquid milk state. Also you don't have to keep it in the fridge on hot days, which can promote various milk product nasties, if best food handling practices are not carried out. Because kids being kids will try to taste test the cream at times, which they won't with shaving cream.
You can buy things like spry cans of Crazy Foam from Party & Joke shops, but from experiance they are rubbish & useless. Also fairly exspensive compaired to shaving foam & tend not to last too long outside the spray can.
If stinging is a concern ensure there is a bowl of water with spunges available off stage. Because like when using a smoke effect on stage, invarably people will start coughing at the thought & sight of it, yet not actualy anywhere near it?
I have never experianced any actual effects on the eyes, beyond that of others thinking the shaving foam being soap, which it is not. And it is not taste that bad either Wink

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
"Hear the light & see the sound!
TOI TOI CHOOKAS
{may you always play to a full house!}

Date Posted: 11/18/07 at 7:51pm
We used sugar-free whipped cream in the can.  It was less sticky and washed out really well.  Had a stage hand spray it in the can a scene prior and popped it in a dorm-style fridge backstage.  We had an actual cake in the pan so it wasn't all whipped cream.  We didn't want whipped cream EVERYWHERE except on Sharpay.  Personally, I hate shaving cream, but that's just because I get a rash from it and it does burn my eyes.  I'd personally not want to risk having my actress with red, watery eyes for the second act.

Date Posted: 11/18/07 at 7:55pm

Troy, $2000 to replace the accompaniment CD?  That seems a little silly.  If you were going to steal it, couldn't you have just copied the CD?  I don't really trust MTI's invoicing anyway.  For Godspell they sent 5 extra scripts that weren't cataloged on the invoice and forgot to send the additional Beautiful City that we paid for and they listed as being in there.  Can't wait to return that and see what they say we're missing!

Date Posted: 11/18/07 at 8:34pm
That is one of the draw backs with modern shaving creams in the spray can. Because of all the perfumes & chemical aditives & what not, they put in to enhance the sales of it.
Which is not the case with the old solid shaving styks. 

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
"Hear the light & see the sound!
TOI TOI CHOOKAS
{may you always play to a full house!}

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info