Forum Discription: General questions about how to make it work
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2082
Printed Date: 5/14/24 at 5:01pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Performer perks
Posted By: VPA1
Subject: Performer perks
Date Posted: 10/20/06 at 4:01pm
A burning question for all community theaters:  do any of your organizations give free tickets of any sort to your performers or crew members?  We've done so for many years, but we know this equates into a loss of ticket revenue which we can no longer afford.  What do your performers expect from their efforts other than a curtain call?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Replies:
Posted By: teridtiger
Date Posted: 10/20/06 at 4:42pm

We offer two (2) comps for all actors and crew.  Directors, musical directors and producers receive four (4) comps.  It's the least we can do after people spend so much time away from their families during rehearsals. 

Our intimate 60 seat theatre doesn't seem to be losing any revenue by offering this benefit.

Posted By: castMe
Date Posted: 10/20/06 at 5:37pm
Our theater currently offers two comps for opening night or one for any other performance. At one time, two for any performance was offered, but a few years of small houses encouraged the board to modify the policy.  As a new member of the board, I intend, at the next board meeting, to ask them to amend the policy and restore it to the original.  Houses are much larger and I think it's a shame, particularly with a show with many children, that we have a comp for mom, but not dad when they have both had a hand in transporting their child, costuming him and all the other things helpful parents do. As teridtiger said, "It's the least we can do".

-------------
Investigate. Imagine. Choose.

Posted By: suzecue1
Date Posted: 10/20/06 at 7:19pm

We've never done it, but I think comps for cast members is a great idea.  We do occasionally give comps for free publicity or BIG favors for stuff loaned.  I am glad you posted this question. I think it is one of those things that you don't think about. 9 times out of 10 there are seats empty, especially opening night, and we could give a couple of tickets to the cast members for their families. We don't own our own building. We have to pay $250.00 rent per show plus 10% of our ticket sales for the space we use. The venue doesn't care if we give out comps, we just haven't ever done it.  

-------------
Sue
So many hats.....so few heads!

Posted By: Linda S
Date Posted: 10/20/06 at 8:17pm

Cast members get 2 comps for opening night at one theater, but they usually sellout most performances. Opening night is usually the the lightest night. The other two theaters give 2 comps for any night. It is 2 comps for everyone actors, tech  and staff.  I have also been known to swap tickets for work. I know a great seamstress with small kids. She really can't afford tickets for the whole family. She makes a couple a fancy costumes and the family gets to see the show. It is win, win.

Linda

Posted By: Topper
Date Posted: 10/20/06 at 11:54pm

One of the nicest perks (besides comps) for the performers that didn't cost the CT a nickel was a thing called "Star Parking." 

The loading dock behind the theater was a "No Parking" Zone during the day, but at night-time the theater wouldn't be expecting deliveries so they would place all the performer's names in a hat and draw out two. 

Those lucky to have their names drawn were given official parking passes to place on their dashboards allowing them to park free behind the theater for that performance.  What a luxury it was to know beforehand one wouldn't have to scramble for parking -- or worse; pay in a lot.

Depending on the size of the cast, the permit was good for one night or one weekend of shows.  And if it was a particularly large cast, once a name had been drawn, it was not allowed back in the hat -- giving everybody a chance for at least one night of hassle-free parking.

-------------
"None of us really grow up. All we ever do is learn how to behave in public." -- Keith Johnstone

Posted By: jphock
Date Posted: 10/21/06 at 8:36am
Until my most recent show, no theater group I have ever worked with has offered free tickets to anyone in the cast or crew. Honestly, the family and friends of the cast and crew make up a large portion of our audience. Why would we give away for free what people are willing to pay for? Considering most CT's struggle financially-it just seems to me that you're leaving money on the table-regardless if you are denying paid ticket holders for those nights or not.    

The show I'm currently in is a semi-pro production with the entire cast, crew and staff getting paid (not getting paid well, but getting paid none the less). Part of our contract stipulates that we receive 2 comp tickets for any night of the run.      

Date Posted: 10/21/06 at 5:44pm
THANKS so much to you all for posting replies.  Our board estimates conservatively that we lose over $1200 annually to free tix to cast members and crew.  As with all CTs, we struggle financially every day.  I'm directing "Beauty and the Beast" this season and we are already at our limit of comps for buying favors and props and advertising.  We auditioned over 110 folks for the cast, and up front we said "no comps" and there was only one squeak.  Hence, I bring up the topic...I know we give pity little else for everything the cast and crew do, but losing that revenue is difficult.  As jphcock said, family and friends of cast and crew comprise a significant portion of our paying audiences.  This is quite the quandry for us.  Additional thoughts would be most appreciated.

Posted By: Mike Polo
Date Posted: 10/21/06 at 6:04pm
We've never given comps to our casts or crews... not enough seats. Same goes for our (somewhat) annual funraiser, which is literally the hottest ticket in town when it rolls around. The only thing we do along those lines is allow cast to bring friends and family (those who can't make performances) to the tech rehearsal... works two ways, we get a little bit of a trial run to take the rough edges off, and folk who weren't able to get tickets get to see a version of the show. We've had nearly full houses the last two years for the dress rehearsal of our fundraiser. Aside from that, the only perk we get is the applause at the end of the night.

-------------
Mike Polo
Community Theater Green Room
http://www.communitytheater.org
http://www.twitter.com/CTGreenRoom">

Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 10/21/06 at 8:38pm
 I always get into strife from the committees, because I give out comps like a bloke with one arm.
For A Chorus Line we had over 400 auditions to fronted up, so I gave each one a single comp. Like what was practiced by PJ Barnum. I was admonished by everyone for doing so. But the season was almost sold out before we finished the audition process. Which got up the box office ladies nose & I believe I was vindicated.
With all cast & crew I give them a comp, rarely two comps. So as it becomes a safe bet they will want to bring a friend. Frankly we make more out of donations per head because of comps, than ever getting from a ticket price.
Of course they all get a free program, as we don?t sell them anyway, just give them a way.
With ?Stepping Out? each of the cast got $50, as a perdeim towards the cost of tap shoes, because there was only 2 who could or had tap danced before.

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 10/22/06 at 2:26am
Mike Polo,

Your tech rehearsals...do they engender a royalty charge?  Do you feel that you may lose some ticket revenue because some folks may attend that otherwise would pay?  Is that amount significant?  These are the burning issues in my mind.

Your responses are very enlightening, thanks sooo much!

Larry at the Valley Performing Arts in Wasilla, Alaska

Date Posted: 10/22/06 at 7:25am

No royalty charge involved, as we write our own fundraisers. We haven't lost a ticket sale yet, as these are people who couldn't get tickets or couldn't make the show because of scheduling.

We've done the tech rehearsal thing for regular shows at times (never thinking about royalties) but rarely managed to attract an audience larger than the cast. Frankly, the royalties thing kind of falls into a grey area, at least in my mind, because my rehearsals are open... meaning anyone can come in, have a seat and be tortured along with the cast. Not sure the royalties thing comes into play.

-------------
Mike Polo

Posted By: MartyW
Date Posted: 10/22/06 at 10:32pm
1 per cast and crew...

-------------
Marty W

"Till next we trod the boards.."

Posted By: Linda S
Date Posted: 10/22/06 at 11:49pm

I had an interesting conversation this afternoon at a production meeting. The discussion was about opening dress rehearsal to family and friends. No problem. My rehearsals are always open too. I figure they are going to perform in front people eventually. They might as well get use to it. If someone shows up to rehearsal often enough, I put them to work. The conversation started with keeping the invites informal, "Ask some people who might not be able to see the show otherwise, and keep it casual" Then they thought they would ask for donations. You know, put out a bucket with a sign, "Donate to our roof repair fund." Then they thought they would have tickets printed 2 for each cast member, so there wouldn't be too many people invited. The they thought, "Instead of a donation, how about 1/2 price tickets?" Then they could they make some money. That is when I stopped them. They went from an informal audience to selling tickets to dress rehearsal in five minutes. It's a fine line.

Linda

Posted By: mtgirl118
Date Posted: 11/01/06 at 5:17pm

My theater used to give away 2 free tickets per actor per show. However, they don't do that for all of the shows.

Ellen Marie

-------------
Once upon a time I was a shy young thing ~ Could barely walk and talk so much as dance and sing ~ But let me hit that stage I want to take my bow ~ Cause Momma I'm a big girl now - "Hairspray"

Posted By: POB14
Date Posted: 11/02/06 at 9:13am
The only theatres I've worked at that gave comps have been colleges.  I always turn them down or give them to other company members anyway, since [insert deity of your choice] has been good to us in the financial department.

-------------
POB
Old Bugger, Curmudgeon, and Antisocial B**tard

Posted By: Sueshoo
Date Posted: 11/02/06 at 10:26am

Our theatre opens the final dress rehearsal to friends and family.  And each cast and crew member are given 2 comps to be used on opening weekend only.  Cast and crew can "earn" additional comps if they come on the big set day and help out for 4 hours (1 comp for 4 hours). 

Susan 

-------------
Susan
Life is not a Dress Rehearsal

Posted By: jenniz
Date Posted: 11/15/06 at 2:07pm

Originally posted by Mike Polo

Same goes for our (somewhat) annual funraiser, which is literally the hottest ticket in town when it rolls around.

Tell me about this...how do you do it? what is your annual fundraiser?? We are in great need for more effective fundraising ideas, with a cast of about 60 students aged 6-19 the fundraising is a difficult part of our group!

Our actors are allowed to see one other performance for free.  No comps are given to them.  Friends and family are the main source for our ticket sales as well.  We do offer ticket comps to the board of directors and high scale donors.  We budget for about 20 tickets per show to go to Networking efforts and recruitment opportunities.

Posted By: Nanette
Date Posted: 11/15/06 at 2:38pm
I even make my husband pay to see a show!  LOL  Tickets to the movie theatre are less expensive than to see our show!  (We're charging $5/seat.)  So far, no one has complained about paying the $5 ... of course, no one has suggested it, and the show is a fund raiser for the local library, so people don't seem to be too upset about paying the $5.  The folks I've conned into patroling the green room and halls were offered a comp to see a show and they've refused.  That's the difference between us here in "Mayberry" and elsewhere, I guess.

-------------
In a world of margarine, be butter!

Date Posted: 11/15/06 at 2:45pm

Jenniz,

We do a cabaret-style satirical sendup of our home state and whatever happens to be going on, writing our own songs and creating the show from scratch. We generally have 24-28 songs, 6 or so running gags (3 appearances of each), assorted foolishness during the songs and light patter in between. We also gather together all kinds of give aways to raffle off during each performance, sell ads are displayed during the intermissions and covert the auditorium to cabaret seating and serve drinks at the tables. From a 6 week rehearsal schedule, we spend 5 or so weeks just learning songs and making them sound good, then a week or two inserting bits, gags and humor. We rely heavily on cast members with good improv skills, a music director who is second to none, and a couple of yahoos handling MC duties who can keep a show moving no matter what happens. And that's as close as I can come to describing what we do... it's kind of like a Delaware version of the Capitol Steps, but with elements from the fundraiser concepts that preceded it at our little theater. As a group, we've been developing this series of shows for over 30 years, changing things and growing with the times and the available talent.

It's a huge undertaking for the three of us who create it, so huge that we take a sabbatical from it every 3 years, otherwise we'd go insane.

-------------
Mike Polo

Posted By: jungle16jim
Date Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:45pm
We changed our policy a few years ago from 2 comps per cast/crew member to 2 comps that could be used only opening weekend. There was grumbling at first until people started asking around and realizing how few theaters give out comps at all.

By using them opening weekend (and we do grant exceptions), we paper the house in what would traditionally be the lightest time. We are able to get word out of the show's quality via word of mouth with these crowds. That advertising is still by far and a way our biggest draw (and our cheapest). Also, if we're going to sell out, traditionally it will be the final weekend, when (traditionally) is when most of our comp holders would show up. Since a paid ticket trumps a comp ticket, we keep the comp holders able to use their ticket. In the end, it made sense to everyone and they seem pretty happy with the system now.

Posted By: lbw4
Date Posted: 8/12/09 at 2:10pm
one comp per cast member

Posted By: John Luzaich
Date Posted: 8/14/09 at 11:04am
We usually do 6 performance runs, 3 performances each of two weekends.  We have an invited dress rehearsal Thursday before opening on Friday.  Each volunteer gets two comps to that invited dress.    Volunteers include: on stage, back stage and front of house.  (yes, ushers see the show the night they volunteer, but concession people come to invited dress.  They miss part of the show because of working concession and cleaning up after intermission the night they are working later in the run)  We're taking a second look at the policy of two tickets for everyone on invited dress.
But the original poster asked about perks, not tickets.  It seems like tickets is the only perk being talked about here.  We have an opening night reception.  Only cast and crew are invited along with donors & contributors.  People really like the opening night reception, it's a big deal, so that's a good perk.  Also, actors want a nice bio.  Some playbills or programs either have no bio's or they are one sentence or very short.  We have a nice playbill with good space dedicated for bio's and give them a small paragraph each and actors tell us they really like that.  We just make a playbill with more pages to make up for it and work hard to sell enough ad space to do that.  Many of our actors & crew like to party and socialize so we also usually have one or two people to throw a party at their house after a performance.  We also have a final strike party after the show is over with free food and drinks for the actors and crew.

So inaddition to ticket(s), people seem to like parties and nice bios.

-------------
John
cfct@cfu.net
http://www.osterregent.org
http://www.facebook.com/osterregent

Posted By: kries13
Date Posted: 8/14/09 at 4:00pm
In the different theatres I've been involved in over the years I've encountered varying types of comp plans. They've been anything from no comps to one comp to a pair of compls for performers and tech. They've been relegated to first weekend and tech rehearsals or matinees.

One that I particularly liked was a theatre that had a tradition of sending a thank you note after the current production to each person involved in that production. With this they included a pair of comp tickets for the next production on their season. So without pulling gauranteed family sales away from the current production you also helped "seed" your next production. Not all would be redeemed - but it was a interesting solution.

-k-

-------------
kries
I art therefore I am.
www.artisrelative.com

Posted By: Madwoman
Date Posted: 9/06/09 at 4:55pm
At both theaters where I'm on the Board of Directors the Board throws an opening-night party for cast, crew, and members, and contributes to a closing-night party for cast, crew, and guests. At one theater (over 200 seats) anyone involved in a production gets two comps (but not for the best seats); at the other (70 seats) we give no comps BUT give honorary one-year memberships to first-time participants. Membership includes one comp ticket; the honorary memberships are given out at the closing party, which encourages participants in one show to come and see ANOTHER show. Also at the smaller theater we own the building, and we encourage cast and crew to bring snacks and beverages and relax together after EVERY performance and dress rehearsals. At the larger theater we don't have authority over the building and so cast and crew usually wind up going out together after shows, but this can become expensive. Both theaters encourage directors and/or producers to give gifts to cast and crew, but neither theater pays for these gifts.
At the smaller theater we also make sure that actors and tech people who have participated in a show get personal audition announcements for subsequent shows. We may be in the process of becoming able to do that at the other theater too. If the theater has a reputation for quality productions, being remembered and invited to participate in those productions ought to count as a perk.
I love the suggestion here of giving single comps to all auditioners. I find that actors who've auditioned rarely come to see the show if they haven't gotten the role; but a free ticket might encourage them, and they probably wouldn't want to come alone. Attending a show might also give them a clearer idea of what the director was looking for, and so would be educational.

Posted By: ReACT01
Date Posted: 9/09/09 at 2:46am
We are in our 5th season of The best Christmas Pageant....We have parents buy one ticket and it will get them in all the shows....Works well and they really like it. The just ask for a Parent ticket.

Posted By: Rorgg
Date Posted: 9/14/09 at 11:35am
I've worked with 3 different companies over the past year or so -- all have offered 2 comps, but I think I've only actually used one or two total.  I don't mind having the immediate family contribute to the sales, and I'd rather not have to make the hard choice among slightly more distant family and friends.

The times that I did use them were for former castmate friends who wouldn't have otherwise attended the show for financial reasons.  In one of the cases, the ticket price was something like $28, which can be a pretty big bite depending on your finances.

Posted By: Lubbtheatre
Date Posted: 10/05/09 at 10:14pm
We always give cast and crew 2 comp tickets.  It has not been a problem and we believe that it is the least we can do for the hours of time they give to a production.

-------------
"We never make change until the hassle becomes too great"

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info