Forum Discription: For everything else
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2050
Printed Date: 5/10/24 at 8:25am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Friends on the BBoard....
Posted By: MartyW
Subject: Friends on the BBoard....
Date Posted: 9/29/06 at 2:43pm

I am thrilled that at least there are now four of us from out theater who are regulars here on the discussion board..  All of the great discussions that happen here can only help our theater grow and learn.  What did come to mind, and rather selfishly I have to admit, was that now I cant gripe and vent as readily as I might have in the past.  That's not a real problem though, especially compared to the gains... They all have a lot of good things to say and now I'm not the only one who pipes up at a problem with "well, I saw this item on the Community Theater Green Room discussion board and..."

I was just wondering, however, how frequent that is here.. Do many of you have fellow theater members who are regulars here????

-------------
Marty W

"Till next we trod the boards.."

Replies:
Posted By: red diva
Date Posted: 9/29/06 at 4:37pm

Marty - I've read all of your posts from the past, and not once did I see you "griping" and "venting".  But feel free to, as you know the rest of us will too!  Big smile (cheesy smile)

"Red"

-------------
"I've worked long and hard to earn the right to be called Diva!"

Date Posted: 9/29/06 at 4:42pm

By the way, Marty.....make that 5 on this board (juror #3, brand new and guess who?)

"Red" again

-------------

Posted By: castMe
Date Posted: 9/29/06 at 5:05pm
As far as I know I'm the only person from my area who regularly visits.  For all I know I'm the only one from Maine.

Maybe they are here incognito so they can gripe and vent.   Hmmm.........come to think of it, POB looks like my last director wearing Groucho glasses. Nah......He's too smart to be my last director.

-------------
Investigate. Imagine. Choose.

Posted By: POB14
Date Posted: 9/29/06 at 10:06pm

Originally posted by castMe

Maybe they are here incognito so they can gripe and vent.   Hmmm.........come to think of it, POB looks like my last director wearing Groucho glasses. Nah......He's too smart to be my last director.
That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard.  Did someone call me "schnorrer"?  Why, I'd horsewhip you if I had a horse.  You can leave in a taxi.  If you can't get a taxi, you can leave in a huff.  If that's too soon, you can leave in a minute and a huff.

And no, as far as I know I don't know anybody here IRL.

-------------
POB
Old Bugger, Curmudgeon, and Antisocial B**tard

Posted By: suzecue1
Date Posted: 9/30/06 at 9:14am
A fellow CT member led me to this site by copying a post and the replies of interest to me, but I don't believe he is a member here. He should be!  I enjoy this forum so much, I feel like I am hoarding a good thing!    I think I will do the same and try to generate some new members from our CT group.  Can't hurt!

-------------
Sue
So many hats.....so few heads!

Posted By: Linda S
Date Posted: 9/30/06 at 10:05am

Originally posted by castMe

As far as I know I'm the only person from my area who regularly visits.  For all I know I'm the only one from Maine.

CastMe, I'm from Maine too.

Linda

Date Posted: 9/30/06 at 11:45am
Hi Linda.  Most Mainers won't speak to me as I am "from away"  

Glad to hear I'm not alone here in Vacationland

-------------

Posted By: Playwright
Date Posted: 9/30/06 at 2:40pm

Hardly a day goes by without me checking in at least once a day.  More often than not I read all the new posts that come in at least three or four times a day.  I love this forum and hope it carries on!!!! 

Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 9/30/06 at 10:52pm
Marty they reckon there is only 6? of separation between each other in the world.  
This theory does holds up some what, as I am aquatinted with one other member here on this forum, who I have yet to have the pleasure of speaking with directly.
 Although we have both previously conversed separately with a mutual  friend, who sadly is not with us any longer.
Thus it is plausible that we may actually share acquaintances with others on this forum.
However this would be some what 174? out of wack in my case!
But you never know, I might be actually a lost 174th cousin removed with POB &/or others here? As my McCabe ancestors were Galloglasses [Gaeil?glach - mercenaries] to mainly the O?Rielly clan, who are apparently a Sept of the O?brians (O?Brien). Thus we seem to share a base heritage originally with the Picts of Scandinavia.
So besides the Net connection it may only be a few degrees after all?  

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: Aimee
Date Posted: 10/02/06 at 1:44pm

I do believe I am the only one in my immediate area on this board, though I talk about it all the time  (I'm in Illinois)

I am with Playwright, I check in regularly to see what's new and what new ideas are out there I might be able to use

By the Way POB, when is the next TUABHD meeting? I'm being driven crazy by this director!

Aimee

-------------
Aimee

Date Posted: 10/02/06 at 2:42pm

No really, I am very happy to have all my theater family here with.... I know I learn a lot and I'm sure they will too... (And they have a lot to share as well!)  Besides, I told most of them and continue to share with all, what a great recource this is...

Bonnie... I didn't see Twelve... Who was number three?

Welcome anyway!

(ps Red, you should have seen some of my gripes before the board crashed last year!!)  (Or was that on another board.. ) Lol

-------------
Marty W

Date Posted: 10/02/06 at 3:08pm

Marty:  Oh, darn. You blew my cover....now everyone knows my real name!

Juror number three is the guy I live with!

"Red"

-------------

Date Posted: 10/02/06 at 3:36pm
Does Steve know????????

-------------
Marty W

Date Posted: 10/02/06 at 4:23pm

Not unless you tell him.....or until he reads these posts!Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 10/03/06 at 1:00pm

Originally posted by Gaafa

But you never know, I might be actually a lost 174th cousin removed with POB &/or others here? As my McCabe ancestors were Galloglasses [Gaeil?glach - mercenaries] to mainly the O?Rielly clan, who are apparently a Sept of the O?brians (O?Brien).

Aye, sure'n I knew ye were a clansman, Joey me lad!

So now I get to tell this joke.

Little Irishman sitting at this bar.  Hears another guy down the bar order a Guinness, and he asks the guy, "Sure, now, I couldn't help but hear yer accent . . . would ya happen to be from Ireland?"

"That I am, that I am, and yourself?"

"Myself also, from what county and city, if I may ask?

"From the County Cork, from Crosshaven City, I am."

"You never!  I'm from County Cork, Crosshaven City!"

"You're not!  From what parish?"

"From good old St. Agnes parish, indeed."

"Faith, and am I not from St. Agnes as well!  When did yous leave?"

"In nineteen and seventy-five."

"Saints be praised!  We left there in nineteen and seventy-five as well!"

Now another guy hears bits of this conversation, and asks the bartender what's going on over there.

"Aw, nothin', that's just the O'Malley twins getting drunk again."

-------------
POB

Date Posted: 10/03/06 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Aimee

I do believe I am the only one in my immediate area on this board, though I talk about it all the time  (I'm in Illinois)

I am with Playwright, I check in regularly to see what's new and what new ideas are out there I might be able to use

By the Way POB, when is the next TUABHD meeting? I'm being driven crazy by this director!

Aimee

Where in IL exactly?  PM me if you want.

TUABHD is a state of mind . . . wherever two or three are gathered in its name, there it will be! 

-------------
POB

Date Posted: 10/03/06 at 5:21pm
Been meaning to ask.....anyone else out there from Ohio (besides me and my 5 cohorts)?

-------------

Posted By: kiwiholly
Date Posted: 10/04/06 at 4:18am
Not as far as I know (having only just joined myself). I THINK I'm probably the only Kiwi here, let alone the only one from my company...anyone else from Christchurch...helloooo!?

Date Posted: 10/04/06 at 9:31am

Christie Thomas (sp) is on here somewhere I think Red... She responded to one of my posts last year..

-------------
Marty W

Posted By: Shatcher
Date Posted: 10/05/06 at 3:54pm

Don't think I have ever seen another from Nebraska here, although I am from Chicago!! I live in NE

Anyone else from NE?

Date Posted: 10/05/06 at 9:07pm

I'm Canadian.  I live in the GTA (Greater Toronto area). Far enough away (an hours' drive) to not be part of Toronto but close enough to have rights yanked for shows if a professional company is doing the same show in the same time slot.  NOW, unless it's a family member they've come to see- we have never had a large contingent of audience members from Toronto come to see see one of the shows here in my home town.  

My hubby has American ancestors on both sides of his family.  There is quite a large are of Pennsylvania that was settled originally by his ancestors.  There's even have a road name after his ancestors. 

Date Posted: 10/06/06 at 12:30pm
Are there any other  members of OCTA here???? (besides you Patrick and Diva)  ooops and Juror 3

-------------
Marty W

Posted By: pdavis69
Date Posted: 10/20/06 at 12:34am
Oops who's this crazy Patrick guy?

-------------
Patrick L. Davis
Fort Findlay Playhouse

Posted By: Nanette
Date Posted: 10/20/06 at 12:06pm
I'm signing in from Iowa.  Anyone else from the breadbelt?

-------------
In a world of margarine, be butter!

Posted By: Juror #3
Date Posted: 10/20/06 at 2:39pm

Hey CastMe and Linda S,

How active is community theatre in your splendid state?  Red Diva and I have visited there several times (along the coast up to Bar Harbor) and will get back as soon as we can.

-------------
Juror #3

Date Posted: 10/20/06 at 4:58pm

Hey Nanette,

My oldest son's girlfriend is from Iowa.  She's staying with us now.  We live near Toronto so she's a long way from home.  She's going home at the end of the month and then in January will come back for a  6 month stay.

She's waiting for my son to pop the question.

Date Posted: 10/20/06 at 5:16pm

Hi Juror #3,

Community theater is alive and well here in Southern Maine. There are community theaters of all shapes and sizes from professionally run to run by the seat of their pants.  If you want to see a communty theater production on any weekend of the year I would guess that you could do that without driving too far. We are little spread out here in Maine. I am constantly amazed by the quality of theater that is done in little tucked away towns all over the state. I try to see as much as I can. I have tickets to 9 productions in the next 4 weeks and I am not driving more then hour to see any of them. Some of these are professional companies and touring companies, but most are community theater. There is also a great theater program at The University of Southern Maine. They just did a stellar performance of Equus. I was blown away by it.

When I travel I love to go to community theaters in other places.The next time you are driving up the Maine Coast let me know, and I will fill you in on what is playing the area.

Linda

Date Posted: 10/20/06 at 5:29pm
Hello Juror #3. 

We're just about due east of Bar Harbor and there are a number of well-established CT's in Belfast, Skowhegen, Waterville and Hallowell.  Waterville has two and we (my wife and I) have participated in nearly twenty productions between the two of us.  As you move farther south, nearer to Portland where the population increases, so too do the number of CT's with some professional companies thrown in.  Let us know the next time you plan a visit and we'll let you know what's shaking.  My wife (Greenroom member, and number 1000 I might add) A-M-K and I would love to meet and do the dinner and theater thing with you and the Diva.  

-------------

Date Posted: 10/20/06 at 6:10pm

CastMe,

I've got some good friends who do theater in Belfast and the Waterville / Skowhegan area. You do some good theater up that way.

Linda

Posted By: eveharrington
Date Posted: 10/20/06 at 7:46pm
Boy I'm glad you guys are happy, the fact that you don't know who I am is most of the appeal to this board for me. There truly are no stupid questions now! I do know that there's a couple other people from Illinois here though, I like to know whats going on near me.

-------------
"If nothing else, there's applause... like waves of love pouring over the footlights."

Posted By: Kathy S
Date Posted: 10/21/06 at 10:52pm

Originally posted by Nanette

I'm signing in from Iowa.  Anyone else from the breadbelt?

Hey, Iowa!  I'll bet my Iowa CT is in a smaller town than yours!

Posted By: bovious
Date Posted: 10/23/06 at 12:48pm
As a newbie, I'm concerned about people I know reading my gripes here. That's why I'm going to make sure that if I have a problem and want to post it here, I will be sure to mention it to the people involved before doing so. That way I at least know their side.

Date Posted: 10/23/06 at 3:47pm

MartyW, PJDavis, Juror #3, and I know each other's opinions, gripes, and foibles pretty well.  I'd be surprised if any of us posted anything that was shocking or new to the other 3.  We have some pretty spirited discussions at the Playhouse (Ouch) and pretty much know where each of us stands.

But, yes, I understand your appreciation of the anonymity the Board offers.  If the three of us hadn't recognized each other's screen names and issues, I guess we would all still be anonymous!

And the interesting thing is.....by reading their posts, I'm discovering that we actually agree on more things than I realized!Big smile(cheesy smile)

-------------

Date Posted: 10/24/06 at 8:44am
Hey Kathy S ... is there really a town smaller than Lime Springs?  (population 484 ... no grocery stores, but we do have 3 bars!)

-------------

Posted By: eveharrington
Date Posted: 10/24/06 at 2:26pm

Hey Kathy S ... is there really a town smaller than Lime Springs? (population 484 ... no grocery stores, but we do have 3 bars!)

I've done quite a bit of driving around the country on two lanes and EVERY town, no matter how small, has at least one church and one bar

-------------
"If nothing else, there's applause... like waves of love pouring over the footlights."

Date Posted: 10/25/06 at 12:39am

Originally posted by eveharrington

Hey Kathy S ... is there really a town smaller than Lime Springs? (population 484 ... no grocery stores, but we do have 3 bars!)

I've done quite a bit of driving around the country on two lanes and EVERY town, no matter how small, has at least one church and one bar

Rowan has no grocery store.  No bar.  It has a church and a heck of a community theatre...  We are outsiders and fell in love with the old school gymnasium here and just had to have it as a theatre.  The building belongs to the community and we rent it from them.  We have made extensive improvements to the building and in fact have probably saved it from ruin.  The town has a population of 218 and our theatre seats 191 !  Most of us are from a couple of the neighboring towns.  While I don't recommend this as a model situation, it is working for us.  Probably just about anything CAN work if you have a good core group of people who want it bad enough to make it work!

Date Posted: 10/26/06 at 8:50am

Okay Kathy S ... you win for small town Iowa!  I guess the 27 people who don't get seats to a show Rowan are acting/teching in your shows? 

-------------

Date Posted: 10/26/06 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Kathy S

The town has a population of 218 and our theatre seats 191 !

I LOVE THAT !!   

-------------

Date Posted: 10/27/06 at 11:51pm

We're getting a Mexican restaurant in town next month!

Posted By: jdlewallen
Date Posted: 1/19/07 at 11:38pm
Wow....any other Texas people lurking around here?  Far West Texas here....

Never thought I would think of Nebraska as "close"!!.... LOL

Posted By: Ken W
Date Posted: 2/08/07 at 11:38am
I should read this more often.  I'm from Iowa and very near Nebraska.  Our theater seats 120 on a good day.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info