Print Page | Close Window

Audition Aftermath

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Producing Theater
Forum Name: Directing
Forum Discription: For questions about handling shows, actors, crew, board members, children ...or do we repeat ourselves?
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2008
Printed Date: 5/01/24 at 9:17pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Audition Aftermath
Posted By: DWolfman
Subject: Audition Aftermath
Date Posted: 9/06/06 at 7:07pm

It is a policy of the theatre I work with for the director to call each auditioner personally and let them know whether or not they will be considered for a part in a show.

I've just finished that task for a play I'm directing.  Having selected and gotten positive responses from those I wanted, I've spent two days calling those who did not get parts.  Several of those are wonderful human beings and good actors who I've worked with before.  I am very confident in the choices I've made and feel I have assembled the strongest cast possible.

However, the notification process always pains me because I can and do commiserate with those who are not cast and being the bearer of bad tidings takes a toll on my psyche.  As we all know, choices are more often than not up to the whims and opinions of the director, and other directors could and probably would cast the same show a different way.

There were no bad situations, no tantrums or recriminations, all I contacted took the news like a trouper and I cannot express how grateful I am for that. 

Thanks for your time and consideration, just letting the pressure ease so I can go forward.

Would love to hear your thoughts and input on the process.

-------------
Even a man who is pure of heart...

Replies:
Posted By: Playwright
Date Posted: 9/06/06 at 9:00pm

Hi,

When I direct I have always made it my policy to call everybody who auditions.  I always call who I want to cast first to make sure they want to accept the part.  When I call my no's I always say something positive about their audition.  If they ask why I didn't cast them, I try to be tactlfully honest and say I was going for a certain look with my characters (ie: family resemblence).  I encourage them to keep on auditioning and if I'm aware of any other auditions happening, I tell them.

You sounded like you did an awesome job with your calls.

Posted By: B-M-D
Date Posted: 9/06/06 at 11:39pm

I think it is a painful task to call someone and tell them that they did not get a role.   It's painful and awkward for both sides of the equation and as a director I will not do it as a normal practice for the majority of actors that audition for me and as an actor I don't want to get that call.     If an auditioner asks me why they didn't get the role I assume they want me to honest with them and I will tell them. 

I'm sorry but I do not understand nor do I agree with policies that insist on contacting the people that did not make it.  I frankly have bigger fish to fry with getting a show off the ground than concerning myself with the hurt feelings of actors who really should expect the "agony of defeat" and the "thrill of victory" to be part of the territory of auditioning.

-------------
BD

"Dying is easy, comedy is hard."

Posted By: Mike Polo
Date Posted: 9/07/06 at 8:18am

BMD -

I'm sorry you feel that dealing with the hurt feelings of actors is not important. Yes, it is a painful task, one that I do not enjoy at all, but it comes with the territory in our theater. Frankly, I've had actors that I'm turning down try to console me because they know it's a tough job. Our directors call everyone so that there are no misunderstandings. We also try to encourage people to come back and try again, to work crew and to get involved.

As an actor, I always want to know why I didn't get cast - heck, it might make me do a better job next audition.

I think that part of the "community" of community theater is that phone call, one way or the other, that says that your feelings are important to us. After all, the actor I'm turning down this month might be the director I'm auditioning for next month...

-------------
Mike Polo
Community Theater Green Room
http://www.communitytheater.org
http://www.twitter.com/CTGreenRoom">

Posted By: Topper
Date Posted: 9/07/06 at 9:43am

I disagree with the policy of calling EVERY actor and telling them why they were not cast.  This goes back to the old adage of "Don't call us, we'll call you."  

Consoling the runner-ups is hurtful and humiliating for all parties involved.  As a director, I always say at callbacks "You'll hear from me [within a week/next Thursday/by the end of the month] if you've been cast.  If you don't hear from me by the end of that time, then I just want to thank you for auditioning, it's been a pleasure seeing all of you."

As an actor, I find it is NEVER helpful to find out why I wasn't cast.  I must realize it is up to the whim of the director, the writer, and sometimes the producer.

TOP TEN REASONS WHY YOU DIDN'T GET THE PART

10)  You're too old.

9)   You're too young.

8)  You're too tall.

7)  You're too short.

6)  You're too ethnic.

5)  You're not ethnic enough.

4)  You're too fat.

3)  You're not fat enough.

2)  You remind the director of:  a) the kid who beat him up on the playground in third grade, b) the girl that broke his heart in junior high  or c) the guy at work who drives him nuts in the next cubicle.

1)  You were by the far the best actor to audition for the role, but we gave the part to an old friend from college.

Of course, there's another possibility why you didn't get cast and that simply could be "You suck!" 

Would you REALLY like to hear that from a director?  Would that inspire you to take lessons and improve yourself, or would it inspire you to slash his tires?

-------------
"None of us really grow up. All we ever do is learn how to behave in public." -- Keith Johnstone

Date Posted: 9/07/06 at 10:21am

Sounds as if there are two schools of thought here... and I guess I'm in the other one.

I have received some very good and helpful advice from directors who did not cast me. I have also been invited to work on the show in a non-acting role which has also helped me.

When I first tried out for a show, the director turned me down - over the phone. However, he was very kind in pointing out what I could do to improve. This in turn made me want to go back to this group... a group I've been with for more than 20 years now. All because a director thought I was important enough to call and reject me in person.

Now, I understand that not all groups work the same and each group has its own strengths and culture, but most of us are dealing with adults. I'd like to think that I'm strong enough to handle rejection and I certainly prefer to be treated as such.

Topper, your list is exactly the reason I prefer to call everyone... I want them to understand that those AREN'T the reasons I turned them down (even though they probably will). At least I made the effort. And who knows, maybe I'll get through to one or two of them and they'll stick around and get cast in the next show. Our talent pool isn't big enough that we can afford to have people walking away mad, though some of them inevitably will.

...by the way; I did hear the "you sucked" line from a director once... she was right, I went in with the wrong attitude. Sure, it stung, but I didn't cut my wrists. After all, nobody died.

-------------
Mike Polo

Posted By: Melissa
Date Posted: 9/07/06 at 10:30am

I had an experience, though, that would support the idea of contacting everyone. Three years ago I auditioned for a show that only contacts those who are cast. After the allotted time I hadn't been contacted, so I assumed I wasn't cast. Two days later I was asked to assistant direct a show somewhere else, and I accepted. Two days after that, I got a phone call from the first theater, wondering why I hadn't been at the first rehearsal. Apparently they'd left a message at a wrong number, or something.

It turned out for the best for me, because I turned down the role in the first show to stick with the other, and I'm now directing there, which is what I'd rather do. At the time, though, it was awkward. If I'd known to expect a phone call either way, I'd have called and asked when I didn't hear.

Melissa

Posted By: dougb
Date Posted: 9/07/06 at 10:43am
I call everyone even though it is not the practice at one theater that I direct at.  I owe it to those who auditioned.

Several years ago, I auditioned for Our Town (who hasn't).  I went to THREE days of call backs.  I mostly read for the Stage Manager part.  When the cast list was posted, I wasn't on it.  I was surprised.  When I tried to find out what happened, the director told me that he had a policy of never discussing casting decisions. 

Pretty tacky if you ask me.

Date Posted: 9/07/06 at 11:03am
Ya know, this would be a great topic for a nice long discussion over a couple of drinks... Everybody has an opinion and a story to tell.

-------------
Mike Polo

Posted By: Linda S
Date Posted: 9/07/06 at 11:31am

I have wrestled with this for years. Those "no" phone calls are the hardest ones in the world to make. They are especially hard when you know that someone really wants a role, or is child. I do make the phone calls though. I sometimes split the duty with my producer and / or stage manager depending on how many calls we have to make. I usually call the people I know or have worked with before, and the producer calls those people who are especially difficult. I have someone who keeps showing up for my auditions who scares the socks off me, but that is another story.

Next auditons I was thinking about trying something different. I am going to be casting a small cast musical in a couple of months and I have a feeling that we are going to have large turn out. The last time I had auditions for a small cast musical and we had a large turn out, and we were on the phone for hours. It was just dreadful, and we were pretty worn out by the end of it. If this happens again, I was thinking about telling everyone at auditions that if they haven't received a phone call for callbacks within 48 hours, that I appreciate them auditioning, and I hope they will audition for me again. But that unfortunately I can't cast everyone. Then, after I have had callbacks I will make phone calls. I may change my mind though. I struggle with this every show, but I agree it comes with the territory.

Linda

Date Posted: 9/07/06 at 1:30pm
Topper, Topper, Topper I'm just LOL at your response.   I was thinking each and every one of those reasons in my initial reply to the topic.

Mike and all of you other folks who take the opposite view:  god love ya because just for the reasons so entertainingly enumerated by Topper I would never do that.   Sure there's the occasional exception for an individual actor but just how many different ways and times times can you gently tell people they suck without hurting their feelings. 

I suppose I'm extremely fortunate to live in an area that has one the densist concentrations of ct's in the country.  Within a 10 mile radius there are at least a dozen ct's thriving relatively well.  Most actors in this neck of the woods have tough enough hides to understand the nature of what they are getting into.

-------------
BD

Posted By: 75director
Date Posted: 9/07/06 at 1:50pm

I agree with many of the things already said on this topic, but wanted to mention how we handle auditions here.

At the auditions/callback the first and last thing said to everyone is "thank you for auditioning".  We then tell them that we'll be calling those who we are offering roles to by "end of the week" or whatever the time frame is.  I always over estimate that deadline to give time to deal with unforeseen casting concerns (or lack of male turnout, hehe).

I call everyone being offered a role.  But send a letter to those who aren't cast.  I always try to customize the letter to each person, and encourage them to audition for future shows and if appropriate point out specific upcoming audition or volunteer opportunities.

We've developed this method because we feel it is important to once again thank those who auditioned and not "leave them hanging" waiting for the phone to ring if they are not being cast.  It also eliminates that awkwardness of being the barer of bad news especially if there are kids involved.  I don't send the letters until I've spoken to all the actors who are being offered roles and they have accepted.  The letter also states "we don't have a role for you in the cast at this time."  Because I have had to go back to the audition pool to replace actors who had to drop out shortly after rehearsals began.

For me anyway, this method works most effectively.  It lets everyone know one way or the other, lets you give feedback to those not cast and avoids weepy or hostile phone conversations.

Date Posted: 9/07/06 at 2:07pm

I,too, live in an area that is saturated with CT's. There are three major cities and three smaller towns all next to one another.  

I feel it's just common courtesy to call people who audition back.  Splititing up calling duties to other production people is an good idea especially if the director is busy or is uncomfortable with calling.  But the calls should be made.  I like to know that when I spend sometimes a whole evening at an audition that my interest in the play and the CT matters enough to be called- even to get a no.  And I have found that sometimes the 'no' is interested enough that they offer to work on the show in another capacity.  I have gotten several new crew members this way.

Date Posted: 9/07/06 at 2:37pm

AHHH!

Okay, one last point then I'm done... I can't count the number of auditioners I've called (many to turn down) who've been through the experience of auditioning for a theater that uses the "don't call us, we'll call you" method... they are always extremely grateful for the call and much more inclined to return (or work production).

BMD,

If the woods are dense with actors, they can't all suck, can they? Big smile

That's it, I'm done...  BEER!

-------------
Mike Polo

Date Posted: 9/07/06 at 3:16pm

Mike I'll take a Guiness or Sam Adams!   Next round is on me.

Nah, they don't all suck.  They're actually pretty good around here for the most part.    We certainly thank people for their time and we always post the cast list to a "hot line" once everyone has accepted and sometimes post it to our web site.   No one is ever left in the dark as to who did get cast.

The letter idea by 75director isn't a bad one, eliminates that awkward conversation.   I personally, however, don't have the discipline to take that kind of time for it.

-------------
BD

Posted By: castMe
Date Posted: 9/07/06 at 5:14pm
B-M-D  If you're a Guinness drinker, I've got your next round.

I also resist calling those who I've not cast.  I work for three different theaters and they all contact actors not cast after the director has gotten "yesses" from the actors he's chosen to use.  Two of the companies send letters and one makes the phone calls.  When I first directed for the phone call theater, I told them I would prefer to not make calls to those not cast.  I was informed it was their theater's policy (fair enough, although it was only one of the "unwritten rules" I encountered there, but that's a different story).  I said, "fine, I'll have my producer call those not cast.  I believe after settling on a cast, my time is better served working on the show with the cast".  They said fine---I made no calls-----producer had no idea why they had been passed over----could do nothing other than offer regrets and an invitation to audition for the next show, and to not miss this one. Having the producer make the calls is now their policy (other directors there wondered why they themselves hadn't said no years before) and they all lived happily ever after. 

My reasons for not wanting to call.

1. How do you tell someone they have no reason to ever step foot on stage?  (We've all seen terrible performers audition) Or....how do explain that you really don't understand all that went into your casting decision.

2. I need to assemble my cast in one place and begin rehearsing.

3. I don't want to leave a message if the person is out, which means I would spend more time calling again and again.

4. If you're good enough and popular enough and put up shows the theaters and audience like, you can do whatever you want (within reason----don't unnecessarily bash me here folks )

5.  "Don't call us, we'll call you" is a cliche for a reason.  I have never been called by a company to tell me I haven't been hired....I don't expect it, and I think theaters that do require it may be putting an unnecessary strain on their directors, particularly a new director.

by the way    I admire you directors that do call    it's just not for me, and as has happened many, many times in my life.....i just may be wrong.

Now.........would anyone like a drink or appetizer?

-------------
Investigate. Imagine. Choose.

Posted By: Nanette
Date Posted: 9/07/06 at 5:23pm
On my audition form I let everyone know up front that we call those who are cast and notify those who are not cast by email.  If you aren't clear up front it is probably best to call everyone ... That part sucks!

-------------
In a world of margarine, be butter!

Date Posted: 9/07/06 at 7:12pm

Okay, I'm not done...

I have a question; how many of you directors who don't call (I don't want to use the word "rejects" here, it sounds so un-PC) those actors who were "not up to this challenge" have professional or semi-pro experience?

-------------
Mike Polo

Date Posted: 9/07/06 at 8:40pm

Ok Mike I think I see where you're goin' with this one.     

While the ct experience isn't a professional environement I think most good or better ct's attempt to produce as professional a show as possible.  If your argument is that it's the "pros" that take the less than humane practice I'd beg to differ.   At least in my experience even the pure "amatuers" around these parts don't make the calls and most actors don't expect it.  

And CastMe I agree with you 110% and thanks for the Guiness!  I've got next round after you.   Someone take my car keys, please!

Mike, I never did answer your question directly.  I'll leave that a....mystery.

-------------
BD

Posted By: tristanrobin
Date Posted: 9/07/06 at 8:48pm
I worked as a director professionally for thirty years - nobody ever calls
those uncast to let them know they were weren't cast.

However, when working in a CT, I *always* call (or my assistant does) and
thank people for auditioning and let them know the theatre hopes to see
them at the next auditions.

Being nice doesn't hurt at all and it doesn't cost a penny.

Date Posted: 9/07/06 at 10:26pm

BD,

I wasn't actually going anywhere with the question, I was satisfying my curiosity. I have no professional experience in theater. Mine is all amateur and I only know what I was taught. I was curious about where everyone learned their methods.

Now, if the children have all gone to bed, I'll have some of that nice scotch sitting on the rail... in fact, barkeep! A round for the house... and whoever finds my keys, hang on to 'em, will ya? I'll need 'em at some point - tomorrow.Wink

-------------
Mike Polo

Posted By: Tom_Rylex
Date Posted: 9/07/06 at 11:15pm
I've been crawling through this very interesting thread, and thought I'd add my comments to the pile.

I don't think the director should have to call everyone to let them know what their status is. The director's job is to deal with the cast. By definition, those who didn't make the cut are not part of the cast.

That being stated, I think that the CT should call the auditioner to let them know whether they made the cast or not. The fact that they were willing to volunteer the next eight or so weeks of their time for our group means something to me. Quite frankly, I would rather let the auditioner know that our group thinks they're worth calling. If you're doing this for fun, a little courtesy doesn't hurt.

I'm in the camp that the producer/assistant producer is responsible for all of the post-audition phone calls. If the director wants to call those who made the cut, great. The intent of calling the auditioner is to let them know for sure what their status is and to encourage them to come to future auditions (or work in a technical capacity), not to explain why they didn't get cast (see Topper's post).

(on to the Bass Ale!)

-Tom

-------------
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-R. Frost

Date Posted: 9/08/06 at 11:07pm

Mike, I'll swap stout and ale with B-M-D and Tom_(black and tan, anyone?)  but I'll be happy to pour your scotch. I think Playwrite over there likes (what is it hard lemonade? not Corona, that was your actor.....shoot........memorie's gone to hell)

Chris

it's been a long time since I've gone out with a cast after rehearsals.  It seems everyone is just too darned busy anymore (myself included) and I miss those days. 

-------------

Date Posted: 9/09/06 at 9:17am
Just re-read my previous post.  Apparently my spelling has gone the way of my memory. 

-------------

Date Posted: 9/09/06 at 1:55pm

Hey,

I like Vodka Coolers or Mikes Hard Lemonade.  My leading man is the one who likes Corona.  BTW, myself and the three leads (two guys and a gal) from my play back in July are having a get-together in a couple of weeks.  Just to catch up on each other and to keep our friendship going.  I know they will want to tortue me to tell them what I have planned for them in play number 3 (I have over 90 pages written & printed out so I will stop re-writing over and over-  One scene to go).  All three of them plan to reprise their roles as play number three takes place about eights months afer the play we just did.

I'm dropping very mysterious hints to them about what's going to happen- yes, I know it's mean- but I love to tease them.  

I'll raise a glass to you all when I'm having my one and only drink.  I have to drive home so I only have one.

FOOTNOTE- We did the play as a fund raiser for charity.

I ended up making $5,000. Way above my hoped- for goal.

Posted By: GoldCanyonLady
Date Posted: 9/09/06 at 5:25pm
After our recent audition, I was excited about the cast. I called those who were getting parts and for the most part everyone was excited. Three though, were upset that they weren't getting the part they wanted and tried to talk me into changing my mind which of course I did not do. We are all volunteer and don't have a big well to draw from so I was disappointed when one gal said she wouldn't be in the play. I asked her to think about it for a day then give me her decision. She agreed to be a part of the cast in the role I cast her. One guy is still mad that I gave him the part I did. He is perfect for it even though it isn't a big role. He hasn't quit, but he does grumble.

So after I got through with all the emotions of those cast, I called the ones that didn't make it. One gal cried so hard I thought she was going to have a nervous breakdown. I finally calmed her down when I asked her to be my assistant (assistant TO the director). Now that I have shared all of this, I must tell you that I am not dealing with high school kids. These people are all seniors (over 55) in an active adult community.

I hate calling, but I will continue to do so if I am asked to direct again.

-------------
Barb Hofmeister,
MountainBrook Village Players, Gold Canyon, Arizona.

Posted By: clelia
Date Posted: 9/10/06 at 3:19pm

After reading Barb's post: I fell out of my chair laughing! All  these folks who cannot cope with anything less than adulation! Do they have a clue what it is like in the professional world of theater?

I just directed one amateur actor who was insulted when I gave her notes and expressed her grievances to those in power ( she was also the board chairman) behind my back. Apparently she wasn't used to actually being directed - just praised.

The show went on to win an award but the experience was unpleasant and I won't work at that theater anymore.

Posted By: eveharrington
Date Posted: 9/10/06 at 4:16pm
Our theatre gives a lot of discretion to the director and leaves it up to them how they wish to handle this type of thing. For the most part directors simply tell you a deadline that they will call those cast by. I prefer this method because I feel that as a potential cast member you ARE notified either way, if you're not called by the day in question then thats your notification that you weren't cast. Anyone who plans to make even a hobby out of an audition based process should be able to handle this. Also in a community theatre like this these are my friends or at the very least aquaintances and I don't want them wasting time worrying about how to break bad news to me. Much worse is simply being given an open-ended we'll let you know.

-------------
"If nothing else, there's applause... like waves of love pouring over the footlights."

Posted By: jphock
Date Posted: 9/10/06 at 11:32pm
As an Actor...I'd would prefer I didn't get a personal call to tell me I wasn't cast. How awkward is THAT call going to be? Both for me and for the Director.

I DO believe, however, that the theater should make you aware of when a decision will be made and let you know that "if you don't hear from us by XXX." This lets the losers know when they can give up hope. Everyone knows what it means when you don't get cast. Rejection is part of the game. If you can't take rejection-find a new hobby. One that doesn't require subjective evaluation of your talent or lack thereof.

I will emphasize though that the theater must inform you of when a decision will be made. The "leave 'em dangling" method is just not cool.

Case in point. A particular theater in my area happens to do an open call for 3 shows at once and then does call backs for shows individually. I was interested in only 1 of the 3 shows due to scheduling issues-and made them aware of this. At the audition (in early July) they were extremely complimentary, asked me serveral questions about experience and availabilty. Noted they had seen me in a couple of shows at other theaters and really enjoyed my performances. They said they would be doing callbacks for the show I was interested in at the beginning of August and that I would definatly be hearing from them. August came and went. No contact. At the start of September, I sent a very polite email asking if the cast had already been set or if I should still be expecting contact for a call back. They said again that I would be hearing from them and that callbacks were pushed back to early September.

Well...here we are in early September and still no word. I'm fine that I didn't get in the show....although it would have been great exposure. I'm just irritated because they obviously had no intent to call me back. As a result of their false hope-I didn't audition for other shows that would have conflicted with rehearsals and production of this show.

My point in all this? Do what you say your going to do.   Don't leave 'em guessing.

Posted By: Shatcher
Date Posted: 9/12/06 at 1:55pm

As a stage manager I have worked with directors who make me make the "no" calls. I would rather not have to make those calls but you do what you have to. It is a little easier for me to make those calls because I can just say I don't know why the director made his/her choices ( I try to stay out of casting) I have been yelled at by an actor who wasn't cast for making the call and others say they are glad I called. You can't win.

byw, I would not recommend asking your SM to make these calls. They have enough to do already.

Now where is my beer?

Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 9/13/06 at 11:03am
 I have never done it myself! But I heard of a number of directors who have put the names of those cast, on their answering machine & advised  everyone to ring at a predetermined time. Or just placed the cast list on their website.
Which might be a good idea, only I think I prefer to ring everyone personally, who took the time to front up & audition.
Also follow up for the no's with a standard letter & include comps for for the production.

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: POB14
Date Posted: 9/13/06 at 11:41am

Originally posted by Gaafa

Also follow up for the no's with a standard letter & include comps for for the production.

That's the greatest idea I've ever heard!

Until I moved here, it never occured to me that any community theatre director would NOT call the people who weren't cast.  They only call the "yesses" here, and it drives me nuts, particularly since casts aren't posted for weeks (not the greatest webmasters in the world, I imagine).

-------------
POB
Old Bugger, Curmudgeon, and Antisocial B**tard

Posted By: TonyDi
Date Posted: 9/13/06 at 2:24pm

I don't really have a lot to add beyond MY experiences in the last 20 years - but I DO have to agree on one hand with TristenRobin that in professional theater - you don't get called if you don't make the cut.  Simply put, if you WANT to try to run your theater as professionally as that, there is NO need to call everyone who auditioned.  If you're trying to give the impression, even in community theater, that you're a professional organization, then as many others have said, it goes with the territory.  You audition, you get called back or you don't, and you get CAST or you don't.  Simple as that.  I never needed to be called when I auditioned.  I simply was told at the outset that people would be contacted if they are cast. When the calls didn't come, I figured it out.  NO animosity, no regrets, nature of the beast.

ENTER THE INTERNET - thankfully that in many ways these days, takes care of a LOT of things.  A cast list gets posted on a website, actors check there for the list.  Those who MAKE IT ARE contacted personally to let them know details.  Those who don't read it and weep.  TOO traumatic to be the harbinger of bad news much less to recieve it by phone with whatever apologies are dished out in an attempt to make you feel better about losing out.  Sadly there are some who lose out who THINK they SHOULD HAVE gotten the role -whether they were good enough or not.  I make lists.  I've learned in my community who is who and what is what with most of the people I've worked with or directed or whatever.  I refer to the list often when directing/auditioning people.

There may have been mention - though I don't think I've seen it in most of the posts here - that if you set the parameters at the outset (auditions) then there is no question about how it is to be handled.  Doesn't mean you won't have people call you and ask you why they weren't cast after the fact but this helps preclude the problem.  My pat phrase to ALL auditioner AT AUDITIONS is this...."First of all thank you to all people who are auditioning.  However, there are only so many roles in this show.  Some will make it, some will not.  It is neither a reflection on your talent nor your willingness to be involved. It's simply my decision based upon MY needs and my concept for this particular production.  I encourage everyone to avail themselves of all the community productions going on and continue to audition for things you might want to be involved with."  END OF PHRASE.  It's NEVER failed me yet.  I never do call backs anymore either.  If after all these years I'm not good enough to figure out what I want when I see it- the first time around - then I need to quit doing it.  LUCKILY I've been blessed by whatever theater gods there are to usually always pick the right people and have enjoyed mostly successes with shows I've worked on.  NOT out of anything I do - save have the time and experience in at doing it - but to be smiled upon by someone watching over what I do in theater.  And THAT is my luck so far.

TonyDi

-------------
"Almost famous"

Posted By: jayzehr
Date Posted: 9/14/06 at 9:27am
When we still had our building, our community theater used to just post a cast list on the door of the theater the day after auditions.  Since then, I have been calling everyone who auditioned but I do find it very difficult. For our most recent play, the director emailed the cast list to everyone. I have to say that as an actor, I would rather not have to talk with someone on the phone when I didn't get a part.  As a director, I don't like being in the position of having to defend casting choices. You wind up lying to keep from hurting people's feelings. I find it awkward all the way around. However, it is a volunteer community organization and I guess it is good to maintain positive relations with interested people.

Date Posted: 9/14/06 at 9:35am

Originally posted by TonyDi

Simply put, if you WANT to try to run your theater as professionally as that, there is NO need to call everyone who auditioned.  If you're trying to give the impression, even in community theater, that you're a professional organization, then as many others have said, it goes with the territory.  You audition, you get called back or you don't, and you get CAST or you don't. 

[snip] 

A cast list gets posted on a website, actors check there for the list.  Those who MAKE IT ARE contacted personally to let them know details.  Those who don't read it and weep.  TOO traumatic to be the harbinger of bad news much less to recieve it by phone with whatever apologies are dished out in an attempt to make you feel better about losing out.  Sadly there are some who lose out who THINK they SHOULD HAVE gotten the role -whether they were good enough or not. 

I was really on the fence on this whole issue until I read this.

I'm sure TonyDi didn't mean it this way, but this post (to me) gives off such an impression of arrogance and "I've done professional theatre and if you disagree with me you're unprofessional", that should I ever be lucky enough to direct again, I'm definitely calling everyone who auditions, just so that I don't come off that way.

Again, I'm sure it wasn't meant that way.  I'm just talking about the impression people get from phrases like "read it and weep" and "trying to give the impression that you're a professional organization."

The root meaning of "amateur" is "one who loves."

The root meaning of "professional" is "one who makes a public declaration."

I'm an amateur.

-------------
POB

Date Posted: 9/14/06 at 1:31pm
To me the only difference between an Amateur & a Pro, is the almighty dollar!
Unfortunately in a lot of ways we in ameatre, excuse the attitude to use & abuse, as being of a professional aptitude. With the greatest reusable resource we have, that being people!
I have seen this time & again over the years, both in community & pro theatre.  The CT?s will offer more respect to those who are paid, while the PT?s afford little to those who are not!
So to spend the time contacting personally those who have auditioned for a production, so be it! Because I believe, isn?t this what we are about? The people not for the brass!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 9/14/06 at 4:09pm

Well POB if I had NOT been on both sides of the fence - as director AND as one of those poor folks who was summarily REJECTED I could never speak to the issue.  But I am neither arrogant nor mean spirited.  It's simply a matter of what a community theater company wants to present themselves as.  Those who tout being run "professionally" - most of those I've ever come across don't require all actors who don't make the cut to be contacted.  It varies so widely from company to company I've worked for, that I have had to formulate my OWN personal opinions and devise my own processes for casting and/or contacting people who audition.  That's all.  I've been on both sides of this issue too, working FOR professional companies as well as (mostly) community theater organizations and EVERY ONE I've ever worked for did it differently and required different approaches.  I don't come on here to be called arrogant.  It's simply a matter of experience and if that's what makes me arrogant, professional or amateur - well I can't help that.  It is what it is.

I don't recall making any indication of the fact that ANYONE needs to agree with me at all.  I consider myself neither amateur nor professional.  Those to me are empty terms designed to exclude or include, by a lot of theater people I've run up against in my nearly 50 years of doing theater (there I guess I'm showing off now).  I was stating an opinion - not forcing anyone to accept it.  By the way the "read it and weep" phrase was not intended to be harsh - beyond it actually BEING the harsh reality of what it is in community theater and professinal theater alike...not to intimate that I'm that cold and heartless.  But as I said, being the harbinger of bad news to someone who really might have wanted to do a show and loses the role to someone else - is not what I really ever enjoy - and I've done it but didn't like it.  What else do you call it?  The auditioners don't want to hear bad news and I don't want to deliver it...so I don't.

You know I thought perhaps I could contribute on this forum but I didn't realize the expression of opinions based on experience was going to offend someone who thinks that just because someone MIGHT have more experience than them, that would qualify them automatically as arrogant.  I can leave as easily as I came, if you'd like and find someplace else to be.  Actually I have numerous other places where I certainly was made more welcome than this.  However I thought this was the best thing I could find like this.  Alas, another mistake perhaps?  We'll see.  Thanks for your kindness.

TonyDi

By the way, I certainly didn't come here to incite anyone's ire.  So perhaps it's best if you feel as you do that I just pack it up and leave.  Easy way out as it was an easy way in.

-------------
"Almost famous"

Posted By: Shatcher
Date Posted: 9/15/06 at 10:25am

boy did I miss a post? Ididn't think things had gotten as bad as the last post. I think POB was just stating his opinion based on his experience. We don't always agree but thats what life is about. I for one love the forum and all of its charectars!

Date Posted: 9/15/06 at 12:26pm

Tony baby lighten up!    Although I agree with just about everything you've stated on the topic there's an implicit arrogance and thin skin that seems to have been revealed in your last response to POB.   I don't see where anyone's made you feel un-welcome.   If I felt un-welcome any time someone took issue with my responses I'd have no fun with this forum at all.

-------------
BD

Date Posted: 9/15/06 at 2:50pm

Tony, did you read the part where I said this:

I'm sure TonyDi didn't mean it this way.

As I re-read my post, I see where it was somewhat harsh.  For that, I apologize.  I neither took nor intended offense.  I was just trying to suggest how not calling might engender worse feelings than calling would. 

-------------
POB

Date Posted: 9/15/06 at 6:28pm

POB,

Well thank you for your response and apology.  I too, must apologize for my rant.  Sorry about that.  Long winded too - part of who I am.  I understand that things I might have said may have appeared to be reactionary.  If you want, go read the other post on the ACTING link and you may understand a bit more who I was dealing with (a tempermental, arrogant actor who was a problem case from the outset albeit after auditions).  Who knew??  So let's just not get off on the wrong foot and I'll contain myself as much as possible.  I'm a hot-headed Italian and it's a fault being so outspoken, to the point, and abrupt.  But I am too old to waste too much time (don't have that much left  so I have no time for attitudes from actors who I work with or anyone else).  Believe me when I say, I DO NOT have attitude.  I have FOUGHT THAT TOOTH AND NAIL like a pitbull, for the last nearly 50 freaking years from those who exhibited that.  I may come off that way to some.  But I assure you I am not. 

Anyway, I will accept your apology and trust you will accept mine.  Now we can move ahead and I HOPE that I can contribute something to the group.  I AM NOT the last word believe me.  But as I said (no brag, just fact) I HAVE been doing this almost 50 years in one form or the other.  NOT that THAT counts for anything.  I am aware it does not.  But if I CAN be of assistance I trust people will accept it in the spirit of good will, good sense, relatively good experience, time and age/wisdom (if it's even really wise at all).

THANKS FOR YOUR REMARKS.

TonyDi

-------------
"Almost famous"

Date Posted: 9/18/06 at 9:53am

Apology accepted, although it certainly wasn't necessary.  (What happens to an apology that isn't accepted, anyway?  Does it go to a community college for a couple of years and try again? )  I did read the other post, and frankly, if I had been dealing with the actor you had,  I would have inserted a large garden gnome in him. 

Sorry we got off on the wrong foot, and I'm sure we can both contribute to many a lively discussion here in the future.

-------------
POB

Date Posted: 9/18/06 at 10:18am

Y'all keep this and we'll have to extend Happy Hour... which, come to think of it, isn't a bad idea.

But I'll tell you guys one thing; I'm learning a heckuva a lot!

-------------
Mike Polo

Posted By: Topper
Date Posted: 9/18/06 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by POB14

...frankly, if I had been dealing with the actor you had,  I would have inserted a large garden gnome in him. 

Wow.  Thanks for the visual. 

And thanks for an expression that I'm sure to steal and use often.

-------------
"None of us really grow up. All we ever do is learn how to behave in public." -- Keith Johnstone

Date Posted: 9/18/06 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Topper

...frankly, if I had been dealing with the actor you had,  I would have inserted a large garden gnome in him. 

Wow.  Thanks for the visual. 

And thanks for an expression that I'm sure to steal and use often.

Be my guest.  I stole it from John Cleese in Fawlty Towers

-------------
POB

Date Posted: 9/19/06 at 3:42am
Blimey POB I thought that sounded rather  Pythonish. Although it might of bean written by  Connie Booth [aka Constance Booth]  who plays Poly & was also a  co-writer with JC!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: MartyW
Date Posted: 9/19/06 at 10:32am

Late to the party, but what's new... Put my vote down for the don't call side.... I have been on both sides of the fence, and don't know how on earth I would handle the rejection call, let alone coming up with the enrgy and stamina to handle calling a huge rejection list as director. It is hard enough when an actor wants to quible about the role they were offered or the one they thought they should get.  Multiply that by a large cast shows reject list, yikes...  As others have said, I respect those of you who will take this high road approach, but as for me, I have always gone with (and perfer to have those I try out for do the same) "We will call you by xxxx if cast. Otherwise, thanks for trying out" approach.  I personally, add a something that use to be standard in our theater, but has gone into disuse.  I like to send a little note card.  In it I thank them again for coming out and encourage them to try out again.

Not right, not wrong... Just one more opinion.....

-------------
Marty W

"Till next we trod the boards.."

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 9/19/06 at 4:55pm

Sorry if I'm repeating.  I didn't have enough time to read all of the replies.

I just finished casting a play, and I pretty much knew who I was going to use before all the actors left.  But after last year when I had to make some tough decisions that would cause both actresses to hate me either way, I do not verbally communicate a cast list.

I teach at a school, so I post the cast list.

At a CT, you could post it on your website or create an outgoing phone message on a voice mail or answering machine with the list.

This prevents the hard feelings and the actors who will try to get you to rethink your decisions.

-------------

Posted By: red diva
Date Posted: 10/02/06 at 1:38pm

What a great idea.....putting the cast list on your or the theatre's answering machine!  I blush that I had never thought of that.

Also great is putting it on your website, but a lot of our webmasters just aren't able to post it as promptly as would be desirable.

My pet peeve is posting the cast list on the theatre door (and, I hasten to point out, I do not include school, university, etc. theatres in this as their auditioners have easy access to the list).  In our area, many of us work at several theatres, and several drive great distances to get to them (I recently worked with a woman that drove 1 1/2 hours ONE WAY to get to rehearsals).  It is outrageous to expect someone to drive all that way just to see if they are cast when a short and simple phone call would be considerate and benefit the theatre's outreach and PR.  Another friend was just recently cast in a show 45 minutes from her house.  When she asked the director if he could possibly call her because of the distance involved, his response was "we don't do that here".

I am firmly in favor of the "we'll call you by 11:00 tonight if you are cast; if not, thank you for auditioning and please come back again" school of thought.  I also think it's imperative to write a little thank you note to those not cast thanking them for their time and interest, and inviting them to help out in a tech area and come back to audition for the next show.

-------------
"I've worked long and hard to earn the right to be called Diva!"

Posted By: suzecue1
Date Posted: 10/02/06 at 2:58pm

As a director I do call everyone back who auditions. Personally, I don't like leaving people hanging. I call the leads first to make sure they say yes, and then continue down the rest of the list. I do like the idea of posting of the cast list on the internet, that is if you have a web master that is "johnny-on-the-spot".

I have a another question along the same lines. What do you do if you don't have enough people audition for the number of parts you need? I have found that we have quite a few members who won't show up to auditions, but they will drop me a line letting me know they are available if I need them. Which, puts me in a new predicament.  Do I cast the one that actually shows up to auditions (but doesn't fit the part) over the one who didn't come to auditions (but is better suited for the role).

Ah.....it never ends.....

-------------
Sue
So many hats.....so few heads!

Posted By: red diva
Date Posted: 10/02/06 at 4:26pm
We have a standing rule that you cast the people that audition, then if you still have some roles to fill you are permitted to call whoever you want and offer them the roles.  We have one guy in our theatre that didn't audition once, but ended up in all the shows in the season!

-------------
"I've worked long and hard to earn the right to be called Diva!"

Date Posted: 10/02/06 at 5:44pm
No real rules in the theaters I usually work in regarding un-castable parts.  In the past when there's a part I haven't been able to cast thru auditions, I've gone to the phones asking someone who hasn't read.  Sometimes its a matter of needing a young woman or man and simply not having anyone young enough at auditions. (Or old enough, or tall enough or whatever)  Other times, its a matter of talent with the pool not being deep enough for me to feel safe casting someone with less experience or talent.  That's not to say I haven't cast what I think of as "projects" knowing I may need to spend more time with this person or that, but ultimately I feel I owe it to my actors, theater company and audience to put the best product possible on stage.  If that means I don't cast someone others might feel is "just right" for the role, so be it.  It has never (up to now) become an issue.

Has anyone had problems with this?   (Boy, there's a stupid question)

-------------

Posted By: eveharrington
Date Posted: 10/02/06 at 10:38pm
I know CT's all have their own rules, but I have to say that if you cast people that blow off your auditions, and then call you up and "offer their services" or some nonsense, then you're not only encouraging their pompous *sslike behaviour, but you are more importantly DIScouraging new people from auditioning for your company. If it's known that people are not cast based on the auditions, but rather by who has the director's phone #, then why would any new person waste their time? That being siad if you don't have enough warm bodies at the auditions then all bets are off and you should call everyone you can think of, but if someone calls you they should have one good excuse for not being at the auditions.

-------------
"If nothing else, there's applause... like waves of love pouring over the footlights."

Date Posted: 10/02/06 at 11:58pm

Originally posted by castMe

Other times, its a matter of talent with the pool not being deep enough for me to feel safe casting someone with less experience or talent.  That's not to say I haven't cast what I think of as "projects" knowing I may need to spend more time with this person or that, but ultimately I feel I owe it to my actors, theater company and audience to put the best product possible on stage.  If that means I don't cast someone others might feel is "just right" for the role, so be it.  It has never (up to now) become an issue.

Has anyone had problems with this?   (Boy, there's a stupid question)

I was on the casting committee for a production of City of Angels and the director and I agreed that we didn't have an Alura that was quite right but insisted on casting from those that had auditioned.   My suggestion was to either have another casting call for Alura or call someone that was appropriate for the role.   The woman that was cast was talented but I felt didn't have the stage presence and sensuality that the role needs to convey.  As a matter of fact I had directed her in another production the previous season and was wonderful in that show.   The woman was cast and as I had predicted she made a valiant effort but fell far short of what the role required.

For me if I don't get what I want at auditions I have no problem going out and seeking who I need.   Unlike the director of City I do not believe that it's affront to the people who auditioned.   My first obligation is to give an audience the show they paid to see with talented performers that fit the requirements of their roles.

-------------
BD

Posted By: slicksister
Date Posted: 10/06/06 at 2:15am
OH man, I don't check the message board for one lousy month and look what happens. Ya'll have a great discussion without me.  My 2 cents for whatever it's worth is that I used to call because I thought "it was a nice touch" and that it was something you "should" do but I hate dand dreaded it.  Then a producer looked at me aghast once when I said I needed to go home and call everyone and I haven't done it since.  Such a weight off my shoulders.

-------------
The Main Thing is to Keep the Main Thing the Main Thing

Posted By: Juror #3
Date Posted: 10/15/06 at 5:15pm
At our theater, actors who are not cast are not called.  Thank you cards are sent to them.  I can understand the sentiments of those who feel people should be contacted, but I wonder how many would tell someone the real reason they were not cast but would come up with some lame, general, all-purpose comment designed not to offend.  When I am not cast, I usually know the reason(s).  Sometimes those reasons are fair in my eyes, sometimes not.  I live with it.  As a director and actor, I have worked with people that frankly, I would never want to work with again, from people who are chronically late or do not show at all, to those who never learn lines as written and don't care that they cause problems for every one else in the cast, to those who have no talent and think they do.  Those people, I will avoid because they will never change or make an effort to improve.

-------------
Juror #3

Posted By: falstaff29
Date Posted: 10/25/06 at 12:39am
I think any half-decent actor can get a sense of why he wasn't cast- fair or unfair.  Whenever I've gotten that call thanking me for auditioning, letting me know I wasn't cast, etc., I always feel awkward, and I know the person calling me feels the same way.  On the other hand, it is annoying to be waiting and never contacted- if the director tells you at auditions that everyone who's cast will know by Wednesday at 10 pm, that's different, but sometimes I've just been waiting, wondering, Is it too late to expect being offered a role....?  When I direct, I never make phone calls to people I didn't cast.  I think the most appropriate way to handle the situation is for the producer to send out a generic email to rejectees as soon as the show's cast saying, We're sorry, please audition next time, blah, blah, blah.  Actors may still see through the tactful b.s., but it's not nearly as embarrassing.

Posted By: falstaff29
Date Posted: 10/25/06 at 12:52am
Also, regarding the other issue discussed here, about rules for how you finish casting if you don't have what you want at auditions, whether you go with Person A, who is not so talented but actually auditioned, versus Person B, who didn't audition, but would do a better job, that's a tough call, and it depends on the situation, but I've tended to rule more on the side of casting the better actor.  It may tick off the theater board and make them less likely to hire me back, but I figure, I have an obligation to THIS show: I can either do it on their terms, and it will be p.c. but eh or on my terms and it will be a better show.  I've cast actors I wasn't crazy about but who showed up to auditions, and I ended up getting decent performances out of them, but they were never that great, and what I did get was the result of a lot of work and wasted time.

Posted By: reds
Date Posted: 10/28/06 at 10:05am
I usually don't call the people that I don't cast.  I call the ones I want to make sure they will accept the part, then post them on the web site so everyone can see the cast list and know my decision.  I do tell them that if they would like to contact me for questions, I will gladly talk to them about it.  If they do ask, I tell them as gently and honestly why and what to work on for the next time.  I do find that most already know where they went wrong or assume I have picked a "favorite" if their ego can't take it.  If however, it was a close decision, I will call both actors personally.

Date Posted: 12/15/06 at 3:26pm
I'm resurrecting an old thread just to complain.  How rude is that?  Embarrassed  Nevertheless:

Auditions were scheduled for two weeks ago for a play which, to remain anonymous and all, we will refer to as "Jackbeth." LOL  The day before, we were hit with an ice storm, followed by seven or so inches of snow, and very few people (including myself) could make it to auditions.

Further auditions were scheduled for the following Saturday (a week ago).  I, and six others, auditioned at that time.  Eight people had actually made it to the initially scheduled auditions.

The director indicated at that time that he had a few more people coming in on Tuesday, and that he would "try to have the cast selected by the weekend."

I have heard nothing.  It is not the policy of this theatre to call auditioners who are not selected.  There are certain problems with the theatre's website, and this season casts have not been posted until well after rehearsals started for other shows.

So:

When do I assume that I'm not cast?  (Those who have seen me audition would probably answer, "immediately after auditions."  Let's keep this abstract, though.)  Tonight?  Tomorrow?  Monday?  February, when the show goes up?

The point being, there should be SOME mechanism for the unwashed, unwanted, and undesireable masses (probably about three people in this case) to find out that they aren't cast.

The last show I didn't get cast in (it's a regular thing for me!), the director emailed out a cast list.  Bless his little heart.

-------------
POB

Date Posted: 12/16/06 at 11:14pm
Now I'm replying to myself.  I'm such a jerk.

Anyway, I did get cast (playing 3 small roles), yay, but I still think it's a poor way to run a railroad.

-------------
POB

Posted By: DWolfman
Date Posted: 12/17/06 at 8:44am

Now I'm replying to myself.  I'm such a jerk.

Anyway, I did get cast (playing 3 small roles)

And it was so nice of you to list those three roles in your signature.Wink

And, since I started the thread, (and so you won't think you're only talking to yourself, POB) I would like to thank all of you for helping analyze my angst. 

The show went well, all I heard about was "what a wonderful cast you've got.  They really made the show."  However, a few Christmas Cards that normally are sent my way have not made it thus far (am still sending mine using the same list I always do).

Have agreed to direct next season as well, so will carefully consider the responses given here.  By the way, a young lady who was not cast in my show cornered me later and said "Thanks for calling!  You're the only one here who does that."

So much for what I've been told was a "theatre rule", huh?

-------------
Even a man who is pure of heart...

Date Posted: 12/18/06 at 10:16am
Originally posted by DWolfman

And it was so nice of you to list those three roles in your signature.Wink

You know, that pretty much works . . . Old Man, Angus, and Guard!

-------------
POB

Date Posted: 12/18/06 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by DWolfman

[  By the way, a young lady who was not cast in my show cornered me later and said "Thanks for calling!  You're the only one here who does that."

So much for what I've been told was a "theatre rule", huh?

I'm not so sure it's a "rule."   What I object to are theatres that make it a requirement to call the folks that didn't get cast.   If you've got the patience and time for it, more power to you.

-------------
BD

Posted By: jdlewallen
Date Posted: 1/14/07 at 4:18pm

One of our CTs calls everyone either way.

The other one asks for an email address on your audition form, and emails the cast list to everyone who auditioned, and you are to call or reply to accept or refuse your role.  They also post the list at the theatre.

Posted By: NagarWSF
Date Posted: 1/18/07 at 3:45pm
In response to a reply by Joe in AU, comps for the production? I think that's a little much.

Anyway, I like to be up front at the beginning that if you are called back or cast you will be called by XXX date. If not, thank you for auditioning, blah, blah, blah. I have worked in many professional theatres, and you never get called if you don't make it. The occasional exception is with kids. Like, little kids. 5, 6, 7 years old. Otherwise, I agree with the poster who said that the best way to portray a professional quality community theatre, is to act professional! Well, at least on this issue!

A few of you have suggested a thankyou note. That's not a terrible idea, provided you have the time, and you don't get into the details of why the actor wasn't cast. Just a generic "thanks for auditioning. Pleas try again in the future, yada, yada.

Anyway, a pint o' Killians for me lads and lasses! Later!Wink

-Sandy Nagar

-------------
Working Class Theatre Company
www.workingclasstheatre.org

Posted By: Davenport Scott
Date Posted: 2/03/07 at 3:28pm
One of the CTs I work with announces the cast at the end of the second day of auditions.  They don't hold callbacks at all.  Anybody who was there the first day will be called if they are cast.  And they are welcome to call if they didn't hear anything.

Some others in the area have different policies based on the individual director.  Some call everybody, either yay or nay; some just call those who are cast.  As a director, I prefer to only call those that are cast and I announce that at the auditions.  But I never just leave a message and assume it was received.  I speak to everyone personally. 

If someone would like to talk to me about why they weren't cast, I'm open to that too.  I try to find positives and encourage them, but I never blow smoke up somebody's ass.  Quite often, I just had to choose, and the reasons can seem so inconsequential to the person hearing it.

As an actor, I really don't care how it's handled, as long as I know which way it will be.

Posted By: dancingbarefoot
Date Posted: 2/26/07 at 2:13am
At our theatre we have two paid office employees (I'm the part-timer). It is our job following auditions to call those who were cast. When we leave a message for someone we ask that they call us back to accept or decline their role. We have to have acceptance from everyone before "publicizing" any of the casting (to those in or out of the cast), so that if roles are declined those that fill the roles don't feel like second-fiddle. Those who are not cast receive an email (or letter) thanking them for participating and are invited to volunteer or get involved in the production another way (if they indicated an interest on their audition form).

All that audition are informed of our policy when they audition and told when they can expect the call (the following day, or after call-backs if we have them, don't make them wait). Occassionally someone calls to see if they've received a role and it is always awkward, but most respect the policy. There are sometimes those that want to speak to a director about why they weren't cast and in this case we offer to give the actor's info to the director. From there it's up to the director if they want to offer what constructive critisism they can.

Posted By: suzecue1
Date Posted: 2/26/07 at 9:30am
We just held our auditions for "The Music Man".  For the first time ever I emailed people the cast list and had it posted to the web site, instead of calling.  It worked famously. I only had to call 2 people who are technically challenged (no email).  It also gives the people who audition a way to contact me back if they need to. I would suggest sending out a test email first, just to make sure it gets to them before you send out the real thing. Thanks to those of you who suggested this great idea! Clap  It was a lot easier than making 50 phone calls.

-------------
Sue
So many hats.....so few heads!

Posted By: Ken W
Date Posted: 2/28/07 at 2:42pm
Most of our shows have "light " turnout at auditions.  The ones I have diredted I had to twist arms and convince people that they really wanted to be in their third show in a row.
I have however auditioned at other theaters, and did not receive a call if I was not cast.

Posted By: Helena
Date Posted: 3/07/07 at 11:35am
In our community theater there is no set policy, it is pretty much up to the director.
The shows I have directed I always tell auditioners that they will be notified by a certain date if they are cast.  I always call the people who are cast to see if they will accept the role I have assigned them ( I have only ever had 1 person decline a role, as it wasn't the one they wanted).  Then I send out "thank-you for auditioning" letters to all who weren't cast.
I do encouraage people to call if they have questions or concerns why they were not cast, and have only ever had 2 people who responded to that.

-------------
"..that's farce, that's theater, that's life"

Posted By: Stageman
Date Posted: 4/27/07 at 2:30pm
When I direct a show, I always tell everyone who auditioned that they will get called regardless if they were cast or not.  Then I make the calls to those who were cast, but let the assistant director, stage manager, or producer call those who weren't.  That way I don't have to waste a lot of time defending my casting decisions, but those who weren't cast at least get the courtesy of a phone call.

Posted By: avcastner
Date Posted: 5/20/07 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by red diva

I also think it's imperative to write a little thank you note to those not cast thanking them for their time and interest, and inviting them to help out in a tech area and come back to audition for the next show.

FYI:  I'm the "guest" above--my username didn't migrate when the forum updated.

Who has the time to write up to 100 thank you notes for those not cast?  I'm sorry, but I don't.  I think it is enough to thank them verbally immediately following their audition.

-------------

Posted By: bobbyd
Date Posted: 7/01/07 at 10:11am
I know this post is a bit late to the topic ( but i just joined ) and i'm not going to say anything that I don't think has already been said , but here's my 2 cents Smile.

There does seem to be 2 schools of thought here , and I will admit that as an actor , getting a personal call from the director does give it a nice respectful  touch and probably make a new auditioner more likely to return , but I have directed twice both small casts , and I took that appraoch and called everyone regardless . The first time was ok , but the second when I had to turn down people I knew , it did become a bit awkward . I think some thought they were being cast at first ( I could've waited more before making those calls ) and a couple that knew me well began to grill me as to why they weren't cast ( though they been involved in community theater longer then I , and know it had nothing to do with their talent , our friendships , etc. )

I like the idea of having the producer or someone like that do it , it keeps it personal and eliminates the awkwardness , I'll do that or send a personal e-mail in future , no more "sorry but .. " calls for me .

-------------
Bob , Willow Grove , Pa

Posted By: whitebat
Date Posted: 8/11/07 at 8:18pm
We posted cast lists at the Public Library.  Our town is small enough that everyone gets down there without going too out of their way.  We've also had them on e-mail.  I'm thinking the next "real" show we do (currently working on New Year's interactive mystery event), we will make a card file of people who auditioned.  As a more or less universal techie for my CT, I think I will be calling some of those folks and asking if they would possibly be on my tech crew (which probably won't hurt their chances of getting cast in the NEXT show).

Posted By: bbpchick
Date Posted: 8/15/07 at 5:50pm
Boy I wish I had the problem of call or not to call for no's.  I think though if I had the option, I would probably call or send a thank you note ,I really like that idea, along with the comps (hey butts in the seats always a good thing).  As the only community theater among a bunch of professional and semi-professional theaters in the area, I really want to have a personal touch when I deal with anyone who is remotely interested in our Community Theater.

-------------
Kendra
http://www.murphysblackbartplayer.com - www.murphysblackbartplayers.com
You are NEVER too old to dress up!

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info