URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1910
Printed Date: 5/10/24 at 5:11am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: World Premiere on July 6th!
Posted By: Playwright
Subject: World Premiere on July 6th!
Date Posted: 7/03/06 at 10:11am

Wish me luck, guys.

July 6th is the World Premiere of my second full-length play.  I'm directing as well as being the playwright.

Heard a rough cut of the original song written for the play last night.  All the final tracks, drums, background music, vocals will be done today.  I wrote the lyrics.  Lot's of awesome guitar music (somewhat in the style of the lighter Pink Floyd pieces- yes, Pink Floyd)  The song is sad but there's something about the musicality that gives it an edge of hope.  Song is about a father mourning the death of his 15 year old son. 

Got an early morning live radio interview with my leading man tomorrow morning and another TV appearance to promote my play.  The last peson that the entertainment guy interviewed was Maritn Short.

Sondra

Replies:
Posted By: Shatcher
Date Posted: 7/03/06 at 12:50pm
Break a leg!!

Posted By: tristanrobin
Date Posted: 7/03/06 at 6:05pm
All the best!!!   

Date Posted: 7/03/06 at 11:23pm

Thanks for the good wishes. 

70 of 90 seats for Opening Night are sold.  This totally blows me away.  This is  a brand new play and opening night is selling the best????

Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 7/04/06 at 4:13am
TOI TOI TOI {with heart & soul}
CHOOKAS {May you always play to a full house!}
SONDRA

It must be a good omen, as I managed to resurrect Gaafa first time up today, instead of not being able to logon, because it always comes up with [You last visited on 22 July 2005 at 11:46pm].
So I resorted to ?Joe Mc? to be able to post here.
[It must one of those ?Bikkies? that has latched on for some reason?]
Next stop ?Broadway? For the Musical or you play with music.
Possible Film & recording Rights to be tagged on?

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: Linda S
Date Posted: 7/04/06 at 7:28am

What an exciting time for you. Let us know it goes. The best of everything.

Linda

Posted By: castMe
Date Posted: 7/04/06 at 8:23am
Sondra,  have a great time and enjoy your show!  Best of luck this week.  Chris

-------------
Investigate. Imagine. Choose.

Date Posted: 7/05/06 at 11:37am
OPENING NIGHT IS SOLD OUT!!!!!!!!  We open tomorrow night. 

Date Posted: 7/06/06 at 12:08am

Had a good dress rehearsal tonight.  A few technical glitches and some missed lines, and an early entrance but nothing too 'off base'.  We had a small audience of seniors from a continuing care facility who ablsoutely loved the play.  After the show, all the cast and I sat on the stairs at the front of the stage and signed all their programmes.  I was sitting next to my leading man and one sweet old lady asked- 'Is he your husband?'  I guess the close bond we've developed doing this play  shows.

Date Posted: 7/07/06 at 12:44am

Hey Guys!

My opening night was awesome. Sold out like I said.  Received lots of praise and the dignitaries who were there were raving about the play and the performances.  It was the best night of my life, bar none!  Got two bouquets of flowers.  One from my husband and one from the cast.  Had to go up on stage and take the flowers from my leading man.  He made the most eloquent speech about the play and my directing.

Got a touching card from my leading man that was very nice.  I gave a flower to all my cast-pink for my ladies- yellow for the men but a red rose to my leading man. Gave flowers to the crew as well.

I'm still flying high and I doubt I will sleep at all tonight.

Oh boy. 

Sondra

Date Posted: 7/07/06 at 12:54am

My first review from the executive board of the theatre company donating the theatre space for my use.

If you haven't already booked your tickets, do so, because this could be the sleeper that everyone will talk about.

Posted By: tristanrobin
Date Posted: 7/07/06 at 7:49pm
many many congrats! - may it be the first of many such nights for you

Date Posted: 7/07/06 at 11:58pm

My first high school drama teacher came to the show tonight.  He loved the play and commented on my ability to write brilliant natural dialogue. He especially loved how there is a pay off for stuff that happens in Act One. He's a professional actor now so who knows- he might just open some doors for me.  He's worked with a lot of pro comopanies in Toronto.

Tonight I sold 6 copies of the CD of the original song that I wrote the lyrics for. The song is so awesome.  Lots of cool guitar, bass and drums very reminicesent of lighter 'Pink Floyd'. So if anybody wants to order a copy of the CD, let me know.  I have a Pay Pal account.

Date Posted: 7/10/06 at 8:35am

Hey,

I sold out Saturday's performance as well.

Sondra

Date Posted: 7/11/06 at 5:46pm
Won't be long before Sondra's too big for us here in the Green Room.  Oh well, at least we can tell all the "newbies" we knew her when.  "Well, Sondra used to say....." "Playwrite told us....." "This Canadian writer we know....."

Seriously Sondra, how very exciting for you and your cast.  Congratulations on your success and more to come.

Chris

-------------

Date Posted: 7/11/06 at 10:46pm

Hi Chris,

I'm too rooted in CT ever get too big for you guys in the Green Room.  I'm getting complimetns of being so centred and humble. I don't know where that's coming from.

I have to admit to you all that I'm having a hard time believing that this happening to me and that it's all real!  I honestly don't know how to handle all the compliments that I'm getting on my script and on my directing. I'm just not use to being the centre of attention and having people say good things about me.  Ithink that's why I make so many posts in here. I'm thinking, if I see it in print, it will be more real????

I don't know how long, if at all, my play will be picked up by an Equity company.  There might be an independent production company interested in turning my script into a movie.  And I've had a chap volunteer to help jazz up my website so it will hit the right markets.  He mentioned having some Equity contats that might help

We had a dress rehearsal tonight which I taped.  I got some awesome footage of the play.  Are any of you interested in a DVD of my play.  I'd be glad to send one to you.

Let me know.

Sondra

Posted By: Tom_Rylex
Date Posted: 7/12/06 at 8:11am
Sondra,

Congratulations! It has to be so gratifying to be sold out, especially when you're the director _and_ playwright. It must feel good to have everything pay off! I'm very happy for you, you're probably going to be on cloud nine for about a week (or longer)!

Bravo,

-Tom

-------------
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-R. Frost

Date Posted: 7/12/06 at 1:28pm

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your lovely words.  I think I will be on Cloud Nine for a bit.  I'm dreading the days ahead without my cast in my life.  I formed a very close bond with all of the cast and the crew. But one person in particualr and I have formed a close friendship and I will have extreme difficulty saying good-bye.  I will miss the cast and crew but this person will leave a void.   

Any advice from you guys to get over the post-play-blues???

Three of my cast members (the three leads)  have agreed to come back and help me with the development of play number three which I will be working on on my two week vacation up on a quiet, peaceful lake on Manitoulin Island.

Sondra

Posted By: Tom_Rylex
Date Posted: 7/12/06 at 10:54pm
Sondra,

You can't avoid the post-show blues for a good show, I don't think. You feel great about your show because everything is at its peak, you have done everything right, and everyone's bonded. You feel like this should go on forever!

But it doesn't. Sets get torn down, costumes get returned, and the flats get painted over for the next show. It seems like an unfitting end.

The best way that I cope is to remember that  I am part of a show that has a beginning and an end. On those good shows, I remember after the fact that I was a part of something that achieved greatness, and gosh darn it, we went out on a high note! It hurts for a while that it's over, but you're always proud of what you were a part of.

A quote that I always think of, when I'm standing on a bare stage, sweeping up the remnants of strike, is from Dr. Seuss:

"Today is gone. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one. From there to here and here to there, funny things are everywhere."

Hope it helps,

-Tom

-------------
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-R. Frost

Posted By: POB14
Date Posted: 7/13/06 at 9:30am

Congratulations!!!!

Originally posted by Playwright

Any advice from you guys to get over the post-play-blues???

The traditional method:

Beer

-------------
POB
Old Bugger, Curmudgeon, and Antisocial B**tard

Date Posted: 7/13/06 at 10:24am

Hey,

There's no Vodka coolers there. And my leading man only drinks Corona.  None of that there either.

Sondra

Date Posted: 7/14/06 at 9:15am

My mistake; here you go:

StoliCorona

-------------
POB

Date Posted: 7/14/06 at 10:54am

POB,

Awsome!  You are a witty and mischievious one, aren't you? Just like my leading man and the character  he plays.

A footnote-  in the scene in my play in which the lead actor has been on a bender- he's drinking Corona on stage.  Actually apple juice.  He made a comment at our 'drinking place' last night that the real stuff is much better than the apple juice he's driniking on stage.  Cool thing is that the apple juice looks just like Corona on stage.

Two more shows to go.

And the CD of the original song is starting to sell. My next step is to figure out how to get the local radio stations to play the CD. Going to be checking into that.

Date Posted: 7/17/06 at 10:54am
"Don't cry because it's over.  Smile because it happened."

Date Posted: 7/18/06 at 6:59pm

Hey POB,

How do you get the photos on your post reply the way you did.  I got some pics I want to share with you guys?

Date Posted: 7/18/06 at 8:57pm

Further update.  Going to be making a music video now of the original song for my play. I don't think this is ever going to end!  Yeah!!!

Date Posted: 7/19/06 at 9:31am

Wow!  Congratulations again!

When you post your message, up at the top is a button to "Add Image" - I think it's supposed to be a picture of a tree; it's the third button from the last in the bottom row.  Hit that, and paste in the URL of the picture you're linking to.  (If it's your own pics, you'll need to put them on Photobucket or Webshots or something first, so it's already on the Net.)  We'd love to see the pictures!

-------------
POB

Date Posted: 7/19/06 at 11:33am
Thanks.  I think I have a Photobucket account.

Date Posted: 8/15/06 at 7:09pm

Just doin' a bit 'o braggin'

Here's some thoughts I received on the premiere of my play last month.

Sondra

PS- If anybody should be interested in reading the play, let me know.

Memory Shadows' Review

Sondra sees the goodness in people, that may be blocked by pain, or fear or anger.  Her subject matter is The Family and common things.
    She tackles large scenes with several people (not easy), builds the dramatic structures carefully, but with apparent ease, no
awkwardness.
    There is a real-ness to her dialogue. Sondra's characters speak
only when they have to, and what they say is unforced. While Sondra achieves a strong sense of the ominous that seems to come from
within the family, there is no doubt that she holds great love for all
her characters.
    As director, Sondra works with her cast to arrive at remarkable
performances from all, young, inexperienced children to very
experienced adults.

Brava!
David Fox

David's film & stage credits (just some of them- list is too long to include them all)

Theatre Passe Muraille: The Farm Show, 1837:The Farmer's Revolt, As Far as the Eye Can See, Studhorse Man, Les Maudits Anglais, Them Donnellys.

Blyth Festival: Quiet in the Land , Garrison's Garage

More recent theatre credits include the part of Angus in The Drawer Boy by Michael Healey , in the Theatre Passe Muraille production (1999), and in the national tour (2001/02); and of Ezra Pound in the 2001 Stratford Festival production of The Trials of Ezra Pound by Timothy Findley .

He is the recipient of a Sterling Award for his role in Paul Quarrington's The Invention of Poetry,

and of the Dora Mavor Moore Award for his role in the
1999 production of The Drawer Boy at Theatre Passe Muraille.

Film & TV-

"GreyOwl"

"The Saddest Music In The World"

"Road To Avonlea" TV series- recurring role

Date Posted: 8/20/06 at 10:56am
Sondra.  One of the local CT's I work with is very interested in producing new works.  I will post my e-mail address in my profile so we may exchange info.

Thanks    Chris

-------------

Date Posted: 9/11/06 at 11:07am

Hey,     

The final tally is in and I made $5,000. to donate to my three charities.

Needless to say, a lot of people-me included- were surprised at the amount of money I made. My original goal was to hopefully make $1,500 to $2,000. 

My expenses were in the area of $750.00.  Everybody involved in the show did it on a strictly volunteer basis.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info