Print Page | Close Window

backseat directors

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Producing Theater
Forum Name: Directing
Forum Discription: For questions about handling shows, actors, crew, board members, children ...or do we repeat ourselves?
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1875
Printed Date: 5/03/24 at 2:07am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: backseat directors
Posted By: Linda S
Subject: backseat directors
Date Posted: 6/05/06 at 6:23pm

Hi,

I have problem I hoping someone can help with. I dealing with not one but two backseat directors. They are both on the board and co- producing the show. We open in a week, and I am starting to get lots of suggestions about how certain scenes should be played. The e-mails have started, and the "Just one thing. . ."  talks are getting more freguent. I really don't care when they just talk to me. I can listen, nod and ignore them. What I am afraid is happening is when I don't take their suggestions they talk to the cast. One of the cast members mentioned something he wanted to try last night that sounded very familiar to what one the backseat directors suggested.

What I don't want to do is lose my temper. I am frighteningly close to it. Any suggestions as to what I can do short of yelling, "Keep your hands off my show!"

L.

Replies:
Posted By: castMe
Date Posted: 6/05/06 at 9:06pm
Linda.  Sorry to hear about this.  What an uncomfortable position to be in as a director, particularly when you want to be able to work with these people (Board of directors and producers) again. 

The best approach, for starters, is to approach the miscreants individually and in private and express your concern that their well-meaning interference is an un-needed, unwanted distraction to your actors.  (you can pretty up the language as you see fit).  You may also want to point out the un-professionalism of this behavior.  Be as bold or as apologetic as you want, but be firm. Remind them you were given the responsibility of directing and direct you will.  Also tell them you will instruct your actors to cheerfully ignore any back-seat directing and to inform you if it happens so that you may inform the rest of the board of their actions (they can't ALL be meddling biddys, can they?)  Then you may follow thru and remind your actors whose name will be listed on the program as director and ask to be informed of any outside interference.  Let your actors know you have complete confidence in their professionalism and apologize for the situation. 

You must, if you want to have any future credibility as a director in that theater, handle this quickly and firmly.  Get it behind you as soon as possible so you can concentrate on your tech week and opening.

I had to deal with a simular situation in the past with a cast member.  In that instance, I asked them to refrain from directing my show and threatened to replace him and spread the word he was "poison" when cast.  It worked.   He smartened up, stopped directing my show, played his role and did the local theater community a favor by never auditioning again.

I also starred in a show where the stage manager kept "suggesting" to an actress that the way she was being directed was wrong.  She went to the director who immediately took the jerk out into the hall and read him the theater riot-act.  We heard it on stage.  It ended the problem. 

Not a pretty situation, but remember that the Chinese idiogram for crisis combines the idiograms for "danger" and "opportunity". 

Let us know how it unfolds.  Fingers crossed here.

Chris

-------------
Investigate. Imagine. Choose.

Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 6/06/06 at 7:15am
As Chris posted take back control & let everyone know!
I started to use the directors ?talking stick? quiet a few years ago.
It is just an old dance cane, embellished with a few theatre & other bits & pieces, in line with what the American Indian & Celtic usage of the talking stick!
I use it at the first rehearsal & at the end of a rehearsal each week.
Where by the cast & production team can hold the stick, which has magical properties, because the holder actually speaks through the stick, without fear, and air any problems or suggestions. No one is allowed to interject until they are holding the talking stick in turn.
I?m the sole arbitrator or moderator  & no one is allowed to attack verbally any person directly, only their character name or production function position.
It always works well & gets a lot of things off their chest, with concerns & suggestions.
I use an egg timer & stick to it or take the stick back to explore & open up for further discussion, this doesn?t happen too often, as it is more important for the talking stick to give everyone a chance to place their views. Also it does not take a lot of time & it becomes easier to say to anyone who wants to offer a suggestion or just get up my nose. To bring it up later with the talking stick, invariably they forget or it was not important enough to say it in front of everyone!
I hope this helps Linda!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: jcorkran
Date Posted: 6/06/06 at 4:04pm

Linda,

I have to agree with what Chris and Joe have said.  YOU need to assert yourself and take charge, but gently.  Scaring away actors or alienating yourself from the board won't help.

Let me say that I am all of the above -- actor, board member, and have also directed.  In CT, all those roles are necessary.  (We don't designate "producers" as such.)  The last show I did had 7 of our board members as cast members.  We did have some who tried to direct from backstage, but enough of us also balanced that out.  Because we hired a professional director from outside of the board, we don't have a whole lot of a problem with this -- we are paying him and intend to get our money's worth.  He also doesn't put up with much of this behavior, gently reminding offenders who the director is.

The bottom line is that you are the director and need to make it clear to everyone that you are the ONLY director.  Sure, we encourage actors to use their own initiative and imagination and take risks, even making suggestions for each other.  But ultimately, we want actors to do what the director has agreed to.

Best of luck with this.  Don't lose your sanity in the process!

Jeff

Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 6/07/06 at 2:59am
Don?t hold back Linda!
 Tread softly & use a bigger stick!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: Linda S
Date Posted: 6/07/06 at 8:05am

Thanks everyone,

I hope I took care of it last night, and I didn't yell. Thanks to this board I got a chance to vent a little before I took their heads off.

I told the cast last night that many people from their relatives to others involved with the show might be tempted to offer them advice. I used a analogy involving my sweet little mother: I told them about when I was playing an inmate in an insane asylum.  After opening night my mother told me I would be a lot prettier if I just combed my hair.  They all laughed. I reminded them that although she was correct about my hair, in the context of the show she was wrong. I told them to please ignore any advice, or if they had a real concerns to talk to me.

Keeping the other two in check may be a bit of an ongoing process. I was the president of this board for about 8 years, so I know these people very well. I am on a leave absense from the board right now, and this is my last show for a bit. I desperately need to recharge my batteries.  Anyway, I am asking them to trust me, and telling them I will always do what is best for the show.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Linda

Posted By: 75director
Date Posted: 6/07/06 at 12:00pm
Well played Linda.  I like the story about the mother and the insane asylum.  I may use that one.

Posted By: k8tt
Date Posted: 6/07/06 at 3:14pm
It's so easy to get burnt out in CT.  I am approaching that point after only four years.  I can't believe you've lasted 8, Linda!  I'd go whacko if I didn't have this BB to vent to.

I think that in CT, since everyone does everything and the roles are so blurred, we all think we should have input into the play.  After all,. we are volunteering tons of our time!

Our AD who founded our CT (and who has directed most of the shows) always told the cast that she would listen to their input but she had the last word.  Unfortunately this meant that everyone expects to be able to throw their two cents in. 

In our current run I am SM and had a cast member (who has a very minor part) change his blocking on Opening Night!  The Director (not our AD this time) was watching and told me to tell him to 'stick to the original blocking'.  He got all huffy since his antic produced laughs.  Now he's impossible backstage - crabby all the time and complaining that he should have been allowed to keep up his joke even though it was out of character.  Sheesh!Wink

Date Posted: 6/07/06 at 5:42pm
k8tt.  I hear you load and clear about the two cents worth.  I make sure to tell my casts that I respect, appreciate and expect their opinions.  I tell them they don't even need to ask me if they want to try something different from one rehearsal to another. "Don't ask me, show me", I say.  But, I also remind them at some point in the rehearsal process we'll need to firm up our readings.  At some point I will let them know that I think their character is either headed in the right direction or is, in fact, there.  I don't recall ever having problems with people changing things around once I've "set" them.  I, on the other hand, will take the liberty of changing things up at any time.  I usually ask the actors involved if it will be a problem to now play a scene somewhat differently, but since I don't do it on a whim and always have (I think) a good reason to change up, I've never had any opposition. That is why, I tell them, why we use pencils with erasers.  LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 6/07/06 at 5:43pm
Actually k8tt, I hear you "loud and clear".

Don't really know what "load and clear" is, but it sounds violent.

-------------

Posted By: theactordavid
Date Posted: 6/08/06 at 8:43am
Had to replace an actor two weeks from opening night of a collection of short one-acts and scenes. The replacement came in, understanding the pressure, and began work. He had lots of ideas that amounted to "look at me, ain't I funny" that nothing to do with the piece. So I regretfully had to come down on him hard and tell him a lot of how to do what I wanted. There really wasn't time left for him to discover and develop the character, unfortunately. Opening night (of our two night run) he magically reverted to all his "look at me" antics, and the piece got no laughs. The next day I called him and told him straight out I was uneasy with him discarding all my direction, and that I needed him to play it as we rehearsed it. I hung up, and then began working on memorizing his part, since I fully figured he'd blow off the show. But he showed up, a little despondent, but ready to go. I talked a little more with him, gave him the "good of the show" speech, and we had a great second show.

A director's gotta do what a director's gotta do.

-------------
There are no small roles, only roles with a low line-load and minimal stage time.

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com

Posted By: B-M-D
Date Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:45pm

I was in show with someone who was in a way back seat directing.   He would constantly ask me what I thought about doing this or that and simply would not listen to my suggetions that he make his thoughts and suggestions known to the director, not me another actor.

Fast forward two years later and and he auditions for me for a production of Proof as the the father Robert and wouldn't you know that he gives the best audition of any of the potential Roberts and just blows me away that I have almost no choice but to cast him.   However before I "award" the role to him I have a very frank discussion with him about back seat directing and how he has a reputation in the community for doing just that.  I tell him people won't talk to him about it, they just won't cast him if they have an alternate choice.  I let him know that if even one report of back seat directing comes back to me that he's out.  I don't even care if it's opening night.   He thanks me for being so open and frank.   Turns out he had no idea of what is reputation was and that in his mind, his back seat directing was simply seeking advice from people he respected.

Bottom line I happen to also cast one of the female roles who is also a board member and she along with my SM are essentially my back stage "eyes & ears" on him and I'm happy to report not one incident of back stage directing.  And he was great in the role and even came to me with few good ideas about his character.

The upshot of all this is of course that things like back seat directing need to be confronted immediately in very unambiguous and crystal clear terms.

-------------
BD

"Dying is easy, comedy is hard."

Posted By: Playwright
Date Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:21pm

B-M-D,

Glad things worked out so well.  I'm four weeks from opening my own play.  Everybody (cast and crew)  knows that I am the director and that I have a certain vision of what I want the play to be. 

That being said, I welcomes ideas from cast and crew alike.  And some wonderful, insigthful ideas have come forth.  We've tried some things which didn't work and I've said 'let's just do it like we were before.'  Nobody has stepped over that 'backseat director' line. 

One lovely lady (mentoring my ' crew newbies') has offered several good suggestions (usually just a minor blocking error on my part) which she always prefaces with "You can tell me to shut up but I noticed that . . ."

There's a tremdous amount of respect among this cast and crew, not only for me as the driector and playwright but for each other,  When we are sitting together in a group, an outsider would have a hard time telling who was cast and who was crew.

Posted By: Joan54
Date Posted: 6/12/06 at 3:15pm
How would an outsider normally tell who was cast and who was crew?  The possibilities are endless....

-------------
"behind a thin wall of logic panic is waiting to stampede"

Posted By: Playwright
Date Posted: 6/12/06 at 5:29pm

I don't know.  But I've worked with some CT's where the actors form a 'click' that doesn't include any crew.  That's what I was thinking of.

Posted By: Shatcher
Date Posted: 6/23/06 at 11:23am
As a SM I have had to do a little back seat directing. This most often involes pointing out things the director does not see (background action, a slip in dilect that sort of thing) I tell all directors I work with that this is my habit and if they ask me not to I won't do it, unless safety is the issue. If it is a safety issue I always speak up. Even if I feel the director won't like it. Safety first. However I do not offer charecter choices or that sort of thing.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info