Forum Discription: For everything else
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1842
Printed Date: 5/10/24 at 11:32am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Speaking of Tech rehersals
Posted By: Aimee
Subject: Speaking of Tech rehersals
Date Posted: 5/08/06 at 9:26pm

I was just reading a few other threads and the thought came to me. I don't think the director I work with EVER allows a "Tech rehersal" We just end up moveing things around the actors and never truly get that time to learn what goes where and when. Any ideas on how I might go about advising her to give us one?

Normailly, the cast takes the stage after we've completed the set building, with about 2 weeks before the show (this is high school nad that amounts to 5 TOTAL rehersals...inlcuding FULL dress the night before) and the crew moves things around when I tell them to. I always feel like I am interupting HER rehersal time when we need to change the scene. We just finished a show where she would call "okay go on to the next scene" with out allowing the crew the time to change the scene....and I was told " Just move it around the actors" when I said, can you give us time to move the set before you go on?Doesn't that defeat the purpose of things??? Cast learning to move around the crew while they change the set??? Just curious what others think and do....

Aimee

-------------
Aimee

Replies:
Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 5/09/06 at 2:51am
This director (small case d] seems to be a few basic snaggers short of a Barby!
Obviously she has never done anything beyond the class room?
Which does happen with a lot of English teachers, who believe by just tacking up a drama shingle, they are the Be All in theatre production - when knowing sweet BA would be more apt!
I doubt beyond her electing to have a frontal lobotomy - things might get any better!
What would be great! Is for someone with plenty of gold bricks to spare, could appeal to her  ego & get her to take a production to a pro venue. If that happened - I?d like be a fly on the wall!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: dboris
Date Posted: 5/09/06 at 12:56pm

When you have complex set changes, the only way to make them quick and accurate is to rehearse them just like you rehearse any other element of the show. If the cast is not directly invovled in the scene changes then these rehearals can be done at another time.

Dan

Posted By: jcorkran
Date Posted: 5/09/06 at 5:11pm
No tech rehearsal?  That is ludicrous!  We all know that in CT, high school theatre, etc., actors can and will miss entrances, drop lines, and screw things up occasionally.  But an unrehearsed tech change or effect will nearly ALWAYS cause problems.  Murphy's Law was never truer than with theatre tech -- it WILL go wrong, especially if unrehearsed.

Posted By: POB14
Date Posted: 5/10/06 at 9:27am

Ask her to imagine this scenario.

She gets a call today; she's being invited to play Lady Macbeth on Broadway.  She needs to report to the theatre Saturday morning.

So she shows up at the Helen Hayes theatre bright and early Saturday, and is told that the show opens Friday.  There will be a couple of hours rehearsal each night, but the crew will still be building the set, so she'll have to work around them.  The director will be busy with other things, but he's sure she'll do fine; she's acted before, hasn't she?  Oh, and there's some scripts at the New York Public Library, probably.  Her fellow actors will be in and out, so she'll probably meet most of them before opening night.

What's that?  She doesn't think she could give a good performance under those conditions?

Well, NEITHER CAN YOUR CREW, doggone it!

It's amazing what we expect crews to do with one or two rehearsals dedicated to them.  It's sadistic and irrational to expect them to do it with none.

-------------
POB
Old Bugger, Curmudgeon, and Antisocial B**tard

Posted By: tristanrobin
Date Posted: 5/10/06 at 10:20am
...sounds like a serious case of a teacher being in charge of something which
can only 'teach' the students involved the worst possible habits - bad
teacher/no biscuit

Posted By: Shatcher
Date Posted: 5/11/06 at 3:04pm
no tech? are you kidding? ask her how she would like to do the show with no set at all? if she wants scene changes then she need to give the crew time to work them out. I would do everything you can to get her to see your side, Like POB said she would not Act in a show under those conditions. This goes back to the idea of tech folks being 2nd fiddle. This lady need a dose of reality. Sorry to rant, I hate to see my fellow techies treated this way!!! If you don't nip this kind of thinking in the bud you will have nothing but misery. I hope it all works out for you. We should start a club: TUABHD    Techies united against bone headed directors..

Date Posted: 5/11/06 at 4:23pm

Originally posted by Shatcher

We should start a club: TUABHD    Techies united against bone headed directors..

I'm in.  You can be president, since it was your idea.  I'll be Vice President In Charge of A** Kickings.

-------------
POB

Date Posted: 5/12/06 at 12:42pm
I'm not sure we could find a roon large enuff to hold everyone would would want to join!

Date Posted: 5/12/06 at 1:12pm

-------------
POB

Posted By: castMe
Date Posted: 5/12/06 at 8:38pm
LOL.  Best laugh I've had in weeks, POB

In college, we went so far as to run tech rehearsals with a stop watch until we got the changes down to a managable length.  This work came in handy when I worked in an arena summer stock theater and was responsible for the apprentices shifting the scenery.  It always went off without a hitch. (and was great fun)

Save us all from "directors"

Signed.........another director

-------------
Investigate. Imagine. Choose.

Date Posted: 5/13/06 at 12:26am
I was going to hold my hand up to be the ex-officio in charge of putting out the chairs!
But seeing the proposed space!
 How about I opt to just clean the windows &/or give out the cloak room tickets?

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 5/13/06 at 10:40am
Hey POB.  I just realized that photo is NOT Fenway Park. 

-------------

Date Posted: 5/14/06 at 3:11am
As there would be various procedures that can be employed to do tech runs, dictated by the style & type of  production.
How do you do it?
I use the basic ?cue to cue? ["first & last lines] system to  condense the complex into the simplex.
So what recipe do you use to ?cook the chook? &/or present it?
I prefer the rotisserie method, in order to gain an even roast to the bone, while self basting.  That gives a seamless crisper outer texture.
I find this method more flexible in adjusting the timing of the chook, revolving thru the elements.
Which is far better than just stuck in an oven, stewed in a pot & of course stuffing it!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: Joan54
Date Posted: 5/15/06 at 8:13am
Joe....I have no idea what you are talking about but you made me want to eat lunch already and I only just finished morning coffee....I think it was the rotisserie roast...yum.

-------------
"behind a thin wall of logic panic is waiting to stampede"

Date Posted: 5/15/06 at 11:18am

Thanks for all the replies. They all certainly made me laugh, and I certainly needed it!  I may even try the rotisserie things to see if it works.  

I hearby submit my application to TUABHD!

Now we need a slogan/motto.....

-------------
Aimee

Date Posted: 5/15/06 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Joan54

Joe....I have no idea what you are talking about.

I?m sorry Joan of course!
No wonder it is hard to understand, I forgot to mention, that a ?chook? is a chicken!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 5/15/06 at 8:28pm

I'm a theatre arts teacher, so I can understand that when the cast's acting is running behind there is a temptation to short change the tech.  However, it is highly unadvisable.

I would personally approach this teacher from the following point of view:  how vital is the set and your technical cues to the telling of the story?  Does the audience lose interest when they are stuck watching scene changes for 2 minutes?  Do they get up and leave the auditorium, looking for the bathroom, thinking the play is over but instead there's a problem with the lights?

If these issues are not important to her, then maybe she should do away with the technical end and perform on a bare stage without costumes--not unheard of.  If they are important to her, suggest that she add another 2 weeks into rehearsal, carefully scheduling them out so she has enough time to accomplish everything.  If her actors aren't off book on time, have her make them sit in a circle, start at the top of the first page, and say their lines.  Each time someone gets even 1 line wrong, make them go back to the top of the page.  One rehearsal like this usually insures that each person is off book at the next rehearsal.

When she's willing to listen to reason (and during performances and right after a play is over may not be the right times to broach this subject), talk about what it's like to be a tech person--how the cast has had months to learn their parts, but you are expected to know everything in 1 day--and sometimes in 30 seconds.  Inform her that you are all part of the same team, striving to meet the same goal.

Lastly, suggest she contact other drama teachers in the area.  Go to other school's plays, go to teacher's conventions, etc.  Even just call up the local CT to get some answers.  If you think she would be open to some advice, have her log on to this site and private message me.  I'd be willing to share my experience, as I am sure there are others.

Show your maturity by choosing your time wisely, by having an attitude of improving the program (which seems like she cares about), and by carefully bringing up these different points.  If I had a student like you, I would greatly admire you for your professionalism.

-------------

Posted By: beach
Date Posted: 5/15/06 at 9:26pm
I'm fortunate to work with a great high school music director for musicals every year.  This year we had a big challange of doing The Pajama Game with no backdrops or front curtain (couldn't use rigging until repairs were made).

All the scene changes were done with lights off & curtain up - so the audience's eyes were glued to the stage during all the scene changes. Miraculously, it went great!

We came up with a scene shift plot defining all the things that happen between scenes, when scenery comes on & from where, & where it goes after the scene, and who moves stuff, then tested it out during regular rehearsals, reassigning kids as needed. By the time we had a tech rehearsal, most of the bugs had been worked out.  But then they have several weeks of rehearsal instead of just a few days.

The thing that I tell the kids about tech stuff is this:

Slow awkward scene changes & sloppy tech work will suck the life out of even the best show.

Good tech work & scene changes actually energise the show.

SO, do what you can to minimize disruption, but let the director know that they will look like a better director if all the tech stuff goes well.

good luck!

-------------
KB
Community Theater
Set Designer

Date Posted: 5/15/06 at 9:50pm

Originally posted by castMe

Hey POB.  I just realized that photo is NOT Fenway Park. 
It's Wrigley Field.  Have you SEEN the Cubs lately?

-------------
POB

Date Posted: 5/15/06 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Aimee

Thanks for all the replies. They all certainly made me laugh, and I certainly needed it!  I may even try the rotisserie things to see if it works.  

I hearby submit my application to TUABHD!

Now we need a slogan/motto.....

I was going to suggest "Up Against The Wall Mother******s, but I think that's taken.

I hereby appoint Aimee Vice President In Charge Of Coming Up With A Motto.

And I'm going to keep doing this until everybody on this forum is a VP of something!

-------------
POB

Date Posted: 5/16/06 at 5:03am
Can I be a ?Something??
Also
Suggestions;;-
As Chris & Mike would be naturally the titular patrons & sovereign heads of the TUABHD!
would it be an idea to actually formulate a tech run guide, proposed by the VP?s & sanctioned by our Illustrious Patrons, to be included on the website &/or add  ?TUABHD?   T shirts to the range in their theatre shop? [Incorporating any motto or credo of course!]
{I?d even buy one!}

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 5/16/06 at 11:01am

POB

alas my poor Cubs!!

I'm all for the shirts, and the meeting place!

MOTTO... how about "Can you do it in the Dark?....We can!"

Posted By: Mike Polo
Date Posted: 5/16/06 at 11:18am

Joe,

I think I'd settle for "VP In Charge of Curmudgeonly Standards".

And, yes, t-shirts are in order. You guys settle on a slogan and I'll speak to the Design Diva.

(On the topic of slogans, I vote for "WWTGD?" What Would the Gaafa Do?)

-------------
Mike Polo
Community Theater Green Room
http://www.communitytheater.org
http://www.twitter.com/CTGreenRoom">

Posted By: Mike Polo
Date Posted: 5/16/06 at 11:33am
I think we may also be able to arrange a "meeting place" somewhere here on the discussion board, if that suits the membership...

-------------
Mike Polo
Community Theater Green Room
http://www.communitytheater.org
http://www.twitter.com/CTGreenRoom">

Date Posted: 5/16/06 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Mike Polo

(On the topic of slogans, I vote for "WWTGD?" What Would the Gaafa Do?)

Anything but clean windows!

I?m not very good at this but;-

No crew runs a cue to walk!

Directors clue a Tech cue to cue!

Cue to cue a clue to crew!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: Topper
Date Posted: 5/16/06 at 7:03pm

And the top ten slogans for TUABHD "Techies United Against Bonehead Directors" are ... (drum roll, please)

10.  "Saving your @$$ since 1589."

9.   "If we build it, they will come .. and mess it up or lose it."

8.   "In the wings.  Saying a prayer."

7.   "Having a VISION and HALLUCINATING are not the SAME THING!"

6.   "Just tell me whose leg to break."

5.   "Join us.  For a nice change of scenery."

4.   "I'm ready to pull the plug!"

3.   "Thanks for keeping us in the dark."

2.   "We're watching your back."

And finally, the number one slogan is ...

1.  "Please. No applause."

-------------
"None of us really grow up. All we ever do is learn how to behave in public." -- Keith Johnstone

Date Posted: 5/16/06 at 7:38pm
LOLOL  You guys all crack me up.  Please consider me for membership in your organization/ club/ cabal. Of the above suggestions, I like numbers 10, 8, 7 and 1.  

-------------

Posted By: Kathy S
Date Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:18pm

Being from Iowa, I like #9...

Posted By: Playwright
Date Posted: 5/16/06 at 11:45pm

I'm a director and a techie as well.  Could we start an off-shoot group for directors and call it.

DATUABA

Directors And Techies United Against BoneHeaded Actors.

I'm sure we've all worked with them.  You know the ones who won't wear certain colours because it makes them look fat or who can't understand that a 'rehearsal prop' is a understudy for the 'real prop' which (if it's breakable) we save 'till tech.  "But I didn't have this tray the last time. It's not the same."  etc.etc.etc.  Or who don't realize  that they have to move to their light not vice-versa because lights hung up on bars way up in the ceiling are not follow spots and do not have an operator.  Bring on the PFD rope!!!!

Posted By: Topper
Date Posted: 5/17/06 at 4:16pm

Sad to say, but the term "boneheaded actor" is probably redundant.*

Anybody who signs up to do theater should be well-aware in advance. Such a support group typically meets after every rehearsal in the nearest tavern. 

(*See also "Conceited actor," "Attention-starved actor" and "Horny actor.")

-------------
"None of us really grow up. All we ever do is learn how to behave in public." -- Keith Johnstone

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 9/28/06 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Playwright

I'm a director and a techie as well.  Could we start an off-shoot group for directors and call it.

DATUABA

Directors And Techies United Against BoneHeaded Actors.

I'd like to join.  Sign me up!

-------------

Posted By: RichardTYoung
Date Posted: 11/01/06 at 12:13am
In college I attended the tech rehearsal from hell for a production of MacBeth.  We started at 8 in the morning and were not finished until 2 the next morning. The techies had not written any of the cues and we even sat around while they finished painting some of the special effects.  It was crazy.  Never again.  When I have tech rehearsal with my actors, we have written and tried all the cues without any actors present.  Then we have a cue to cue tech where we run each tech cue with actors on stage.  Some times we run the cue a dozen time to get it right.   The actors and the back stage staff both have to learn the cue and make it work.

-------------
Live well, be safe
Richard T. Young

Posted By: falstaff29
Date Posted: 11/01/06 at 12:22am
I try to waste as little time during tech as possible, but I agree with everyone else who said not having it is idiotic.  Sometimes, little tech elements make a huge difference, and the only way to nail that stuff is to rehearse it, just like anything else.  I've been in enough shows where a cue went wrong that really threw stuff off (and I'm not passing blame- we all goof), but the flub probably wouldn't've happened if it had actually been practiced, or at least the board op would've known enough to try to figure out how it could be remedied.

Date Posted: 11/01/06 at 3:36am
Originally posted by POB14

Originally posted by Shatcher

We should start a club: TUABHD    Techies united against bone headed directors..

I'm in.  You can be president, since it was your idea.  I'll be Vice President In Charge of A** Kickings.

Yabewdy Falstaf!
I have been attempting to find out &/or try to remember what 'TUABHD' was again!
G?donya!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: eagle100
Date Posted: 11/01/06 at 4:46am

I am also a teacher and the schedule is really tight so I'm not sure but the way I've been doing it is to cue everything along with the script and have it all written with the 1) ON CUE (something is about to happen, you there?), 2) READY (ready to wake up and act), 3) GO (do it NOW) sequence (something I read on this board and found really very helpful).

Even if for the first few rehearsals the tech people can't do their stuff, they know when the stuff is supposed to be moved and what the cue is. Also, I add drawings or directions as to where to move what from or to and sometimes by whom in the script. I think it's best if you worked it all out (if time is pressing as you may have the best idea where everything should go and plot it all out).

As for the person you are working with, sounds like this person is serious about getting the acting right and wanting a good performance but a good performance is incomplete without everything else going smoothly as well and that can't happen if you don't run through the whole thing as the real thing at least a few times.

I remember in another post on this board someone mentioned accidents almost happening because the actors didn't know when the stuff was to be moved and they didn't get out of the way. So it's only responsible and sensible to do a tech run. But you have my sympathy.

Note also that for certain parts if no actors are needed, you could rehearse changes of scenery without them present and work on doing so efficiently but you definitely have to work it out with the actors present for a few times.

I guess with a few times I'd mean a minimal of 2-3 times.

Date Posted: 11/01/06 at 9:49am

Originally posted by Gaafa

Yabewdy Falstaf!
I have been attempting to find out &/or try to remember what 'TUABHD' was again!
G?donya!

Joe, I was going to take you to task for not following the link in my sig, when I discovered that it doesn't work!  How embarrassing!  I'll try to fix it.

ETA:  Think it works now.

-------------
POB

Date Posted: 11/01/06 at 9:55am

As I started this post during our last production, finding it resurected during our current one seems funny to me. I can add that I "sort of" got a tech run this time around. I do mean sort of. I just flat out told the director we are going slow so we can get things in the right place and tape set pieces. That was as much as I could get, if it was wrong, there was no stopping, we just moved things around them while they acted....better than we usually get, but not what I want....yet. 

The show opens tomorrow night..thank god! I left rehearsal the other night ready to just throw in the towel.   But last night things went MUCH better , so I am feeling less frustrated now, this is just turning into "one of those shows"

I think we need several mottos. This week it's  " Just Tell me whose leg to break" Next week, who knows.

-------------
Aimee

Posted By: Techiemama
Date Posted: 1/22/07 at 4:58am
I would like to submit my membership story for the TUABHD.

Horribly long story shortened:  Wizard of Oz, Tech Rehearsal.  I was StageManaging, Bone Headed Director decided she was going to run the Tech Rehearsal even though 17 of the 30 set pieces were not even finished enough to use on the stage (she relies heavily on hallucination and not on vision).  While she was in the setshop flogging the set builders, I sat the crew down, and gave them all paper and pencils and had them write out their 'set moving script' for the whole show.  They turned them into me, and I pulled out a small model of the set and pieces that my son made out of clay (even a little green witchy) and we played with our model until I thought they had it down, then I released them.  The director got wind of my 'releasing the cast' without her sayso, and KABOOM, drama galore...the next night, once we had real set pieces, our rehearsal went fairly smooth. (despite the fact that our set builders made everything out of 4 x 4s and thick plywood, Dorothy's Kansas house is now a home to a small family!)

The Bone Headed Director recently came back from a "Community Theatre Conference" where she said that all the directors that she spoke with ran the tech rehearsals and not the stage managers.  Is she Queen Bone Head? or at least Princess??

*TechieMama

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info