Forum Discription: For everything else
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1828
Printed Date: 5/10/24 at 3:57pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Length of Practice
Posted By: luvthekids417
Subject: Length of Practice
Date Posted: 4/27/06 at 2:12pm
How long does it take to prepare for a good stage production?

Replies:
Posted By: 75director
Date Posted: 4/27/06 at 3:23pm

There are several answers to that question.  A lot depends on the type of show you're doing, the experience of your cast/crew and things like that.

The rule of thumb I generally apply is 6 weeks to rehearse a play and 8 weeks to rehearse a musical.  That's with 3 hours of rehearsals 5 nights a week, and not counting tech week.

But like I said it all depends on your group and the show.

Posted By: Topper
Date Posted: 4/27/06 at 4:20pm
That's a million-dollar question!  I've seen plenty of BAD stage productions that no amount of rehearsal could improve.

-------------
"None of us really grow up. All we ever do is learn how to behave in public." -- Keith Johnstone

Posted By: Playwright
Date Posted: 4/27/06 at 4:34pm

Hi,

I go with a 7 or 8 week schedule (not counting tech week). 3 times a week- two and half hours per rehearsal.  I find the 6 week too limiting because there is always rehearsals that your actors miss.  I always make the second to last week before tech as my 'make-up missed rehearsals or fix trouble spots'. This has always worked quite well with all the shows I've directed. 

Do any of you use 'play polishers'.  Someone who comes into one of the runs prior to tech week.  You know, not to point out major changes but just to point out any blocking problems or other minor things that are easy to change. Smooth out any rough spots with pace, smooth entrances or exits etc. 

Posted By: POB14
Date Posted: 4/27/06 at 4:57pm

About 44 years, so far. 

6 weeks straight, 8 weeks musical is about standard.

The "polisher" is a great idea.  Some productions I've been involved with have used their "producer" or "board buddy" in this capacity.

-------------
POB
Old Bugger, Curmudgeon, and Antisocial B**tard

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 4/27/06 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Playwright

Do any of you use 'play polishers'.  

I have a friend who used to direct at the place I'm at now.  His family and work constraints have forced him to give it up, but he comes in every show to "guest direct."  Usually, it's just telling the cast the things I've been telling them for weeks (but, miraculously, they actually listen to someone else); but he usually has a few creative things to add as well.

In response to how long for rehearsals:

6 weeks of 3 days per week for 3 hours per day (1/2 hour is acting games and warmups, and another 1/2 hour is set up and put back)

PLUS 2 weeks of 4 days per week for 4 hours per day

PLUS TECH WEEK/PERFORMANCE WEEK THAT CAN RUN 14 HOURS A DAY FOR 6 DAYS A WEEK.

-------------

Posted By: dougb
Date Posted: 4/29/06 at 11:23am
We use an eight week rehearsal schedule - three a week to start while they are getting off book increasing to five a week - a total of around 35 rehearsals.

I always use a polisher but they give their notes to me and I decide which the cast will hear.  I also bring in a comedy director to teach the actors how to make funny lines funny.  It make a big difference.

Posted By: B-M-D
Date Posted: 4/29/06 at 5:04pm

Originally posted by luvthekids417

How long does it take to prepare for a good stage production?

That the question even needs to be asked speaks volumes.

-------------
BD

"Dying is easy, comedy is hard."

Posted By: castMe
Date Posted: 4/30/06 at 9:03am
I have gotten by with beginning rehearsals for straight shows 9 weeks before we open.  This works out to 8 weeks plus "up" or "tech" week.  We usually have three rehearsals the first week to get the show blocked then settle in to two rehearsals a week.  Of course, I "own" the cast the week we open, although I rarely rehearse the night before we open.  I believe I may be the only director in the area who gives his cast and crew the night before opening off, but I figure if I have to rehearse that night, the show is in enough trouble that no amount of practice is gonna get us ready.  If, two weeks before opening, things look rocky, I lay on an extra rehearsal or two at that time. If a particular scene needs a little work, I call the few actors involved in the scene, and we may work 45 minutes ro so til it feels better.  Giving them that evening off seems to be good for moral and gives them a chance to re-acquaint with their family, catch up on laundry (always a good thing for the dressing room time) and generally relax.  I have also pretty much done away with a read-thru for the first rehearsal.  I'd rather jump right in and begin giving them their blocks. I don't waste any time with acting games or back stories or "where has your character come from". (An aside...I once did "Death of a Saleman" and the director had the Loman family take a train ride with him so we could get some understanding of how the constant traveling might affect Willy.  The actress playing Linda asked, "Why don't we just rehearse?")
  I keep rehearsals to two hours as after that I believe you reach a point of diminishing returns.  Especially on week nights when your cast has worked I figure after two hours not much sinks in. 
So... I work about 20 hours of rehearsal plus "up" week's tech and two dress rehearsals for a two-hour comedy or drama.

-------------
Investigate. Imagine. Choose.

Posted By: POB14
Date Posted: 5/01/06 at 9:32am
Originally posted by avcastner

6 weeks of 3 days per week for 3 hours per day (1/2 hour is acting games and warmups, and another 1/2 hour is set up and put back)

Wow.  Just . . . wow.  I admit my total ignorance of professional theatre, which I assume this must be, but . . . I mean . . . wow.  From the LORT rulebook ( http://www.actorsequity.org/docs/rulebooks/LORT_Rulebook_05-08.pdf - http://www.actorsequity.org/docs/rulebooks/LORT_Rulebook_05- 08.pdf ):

Except for days when there are early student performances, the span of the work day shall not exceed 12 consecutive hours.

Don't things get a bit counterproductive after, oh, I don't know, the first ten hours or so? 

-------------
POB
Old Bugger, Curmudgeon, and Antisocial B**tard

Posted By: Topper
Date Posted: 5/01/06 at 9:52am

To prevent actors from being forced to work overlong rehearsals is one of the reasons Actors' Equity was established as a union.  Among other things, it requires producers and directors to plan ahead to avoid pulling an "all-nighter" before the show opens.  (Most directors save their 12-hour rehearsal strictly for tech week).

Unfortunately, that union is only for the professionals.  Those who volunteer our time have no recourse except a thermos of coffee and a good book. 

-------------
"None of us really grow up. All we ever do is learn how to behave in public." -- Keith Johnstone

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 5/03/06 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by POB14

Originally posted by avcastner

Wow.  Just . . . wow.  I admit my total ignorance of professional theatre, which I assume this must be, but . . . I mean . . . wow.  From the LORT rulebook ( http://www.actorsequity.org/docs/rulebooks/LORT_Rulebook_05-08.pdf - http://www.actorsequity.org/docs/rulebooks/LORT_Rulebook_05- 08.pdf ):

Except for days when there are early student performances, the span of the work day shall not exceed 12 consecutive hours.

Don't things get a bit counterproductive after, oh, I don't know, the first ten hours or so? 

We don't have a choice.  We have 6 days from load-in to 3 performances to strike.  If I had my preferences, we would have 3 weeks to load-in, tech, perform, and strike. 

As for counter-productive:  we don't require full effort during techs.  We don't call the cast in when we are just setting lights or loading in, which can be 1 or 2 days in the middle of this.  The cast also get 1 hour meal breaks and breaks in between.

Of course, this is educational theater and not professional.  And I do remember a tech for Queen Christina in college that started at 9 a.m. and did not finish until 2 a.m. the next morning (with only 2 half hour meal breaks).

-------------

Posted By: John Luzaich
Date Posted: 9/04/09 at 10:16am

Our last 3 character comedy had four weeks of rehearsal.  Most plays are six weeks from first read throught/rehearsal to opening night.

-------------
John
cfct@cfu.net
http://www.osterregent.org
http://www.facebook.com/osterregent

Posted By: belle
Date Posted: 9/04/09 at 3:55pm

Does anyone else see a connection between the discussion on no people auditioning and the practice schedule?

I would never ask people to practice 5 nights a week for six weeks.  People have lives.  They have kids games, church, civic responsibilities, job responsibilities, club meetings. 

I expect people to learn their lines and blocking on their own time at home.  They don't learn their lines onstage.

We practice on Sunday from 3-5:30 and Thursdays from 6:30-9.  We practice for about 6 weeks and then the week before we open we have a Sunday practice 2-11 p.m. with a supper break.  Then, we practice every night from 6-11 pm before we open on Friday.  We load in on the Saturday before the long Sunday rehearsal and run the initial tech tha5t day.  This is for a straight play. 

We've used this approach for 2-3 plays a year for 30 years.   We have plenty of people coming out for auditions.

We use a similar approach for musicals except add a week or 2 of practice.  We have done musicals in 5 weeks with 4 weeks of 3 nights of practice and the final week just like the final week above.  Again, people are to learn their songs, lines, and blocking outside the rehearsal period.

If what you do works for you, that's fine.  However, this approach might allow more people who enjoy actling as a hobby to participate.   You might give it a try and see if more people come out.

Posted By: SamD
Date Posted: 9/05/09 at 8:43pm
Our organization rehearses 6 weeks, 4 times a week, 2 hour rehearsals.
I use the first two weeks as blocking rehearsals. We usually go through 20 pages at a time, then review it the next day. There is a lot of stop and go at these rehearsals, so I make sure to let them run through what they've learned at the end of the night so they can find "the flow". I give them another week or so to drop their books. Then the acting begins!

Posted By: KEB54
Date Posted: 9/08/09 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by belle

I would never ask people to practice 5 nights a week for six weeks.  People have lives.  They have kids games, church, civic responsibilities, job responsibilities, club meetings. 

We practice on Sunday from 3-5:30 and Thursdays from 6:30-9.  We practice for about 6 weeks and then the week before we open we have a Sunday practice 2-11 p.m. with a supper break.  Then, we practice every night from 6-11 pm before we open on Friday.  We load in on the Saturday before the long Sunday rehearsal and run the initial tech tha5t day.  This is for a straight play. 

My knee-jerk reaction was "how can you get by with so little rehearsal?"  But then I thought about it and decided we're not all that different.

I do the 5 nights a week for six weeks,.  However, actors get to list their conflicts which we schedule around,  so they can do their kids games, church, civic responsibilities, job responsibilities, and club meetings. We also schedule rehearsals by scenes and make every attempt to package it so actors have scheduled nights off (ie not rehearsing any of their scenes).  That is until tech week when we have a schedule similar to your's.

Originally posted by belle

I expect people to learn their lines and blocking on their own time at home.  They don't learn their lines onstage.

I agree with this ... sort of ...

They should learn their lines outside of rehearsal and they may, but as you know it is more than just saying lines and moving.  By rehearsing with each other they build context and character relationships, and timing and inflection, time for discovery, action/reaction,  ...  Of course, the forced repetition helps them to learn lines with the help of someone on book.  I know that my people have those busy lives outside of theatre, so when they are home 1) they are not working on lines as much as they should, and 2) probably don't have the help to help them learn the lines (their family members are busy, too). I think the script in the hand is the biggest crutch for an actor.  Get it out of their hand as soon as possible.  IMHO having someone on script helps with that a lot.

But as you suggest, there is more than one right way to do something, and there is the culture of a particular company to consider.

-------------
KEB

Posted By: KEB54
Date Posted: 9/08/09 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by SamD

I give them another week or so to drop their books. Then the acting begins!

For our group, as a general rule, you get your scripts for the night we do the initial blocking for that scene, and for the next night we run/work that specific scene.  Then you're off book. There are exceptions, of course.  If you have a lot of lines we may let you go an additional rehearsal, but surprisingly, that seldom happens. Or if it has been awhile since we last ran the scene. Or sometimes certain individuals just need more time. Or for a variety of circumstances.  But generally, just the two nights.

Surprisingly, the people with the most lines tend to have their lines down the soonest.  I don't know why that is.  

-------------
KEB

Posted By: peacfrog50
Date Posted: 11/16/10 at 4:37pm
The Show we are performing right now, is a 2 person comedy"A Christmas Carol...More oe less" rehearsed 5 weeks, 3 nights a week 2 - 2 1/2 hours.  I directed Nunsense last year and we did 8 weeks 4 nights, specific nights for blocking, sionging & dancing.

typically, stage show 6 weeks, dinner theatre 6 weeks, musical 8 weeks.

Posted By: jayzehr
Date Posted: 11/17/10 at 7:53am
By the by, the first page of this thread is nearly five years old!

I guess it's all still relevant though.

Posted By: MartyW
Date Posted: 11/17/10 at 10:09am
Our schedule is 6 weeks for a play (this includes two nights of auditions on the first week AND hell week)  We rehearse Sun - Thursday (unless peoples conflicts make us want to use Friday in leu of one of the regular days.)  We take off our monthly board meeting and our monthly general membership meetings as well as holiday's. We generally work the cast for no more than 2 hours until we start to "run" the show. At that time, the rehearsal stretches out to whatever the length of the given show is. I think running an individual longer in the early days just wears the cast out and to run fewer days a week only allows them more time to forget what they did the last time they were there.  Musicals get an additional two weeks for a total of 8. Normally I think it averages out to about 26-30 rehearsals for a straight and 40ish for a musical. And we are down to 11 as of tonight!!!!!!

-------------
Marty W

"Till next we trod the boards.."

Posted By: edh915
Date Posted: 11/17/10 at 1:07pm
I prefer 7 weeks, but 6 weeks is acceptable. 
We rehearse two hours a day, four days a week. 

Most Important: We start on time and finish on time.  

I have no patience with directors who require their cast to be "on time", then spend 45 minutes dealing with lighting, sound, or set people.  Rehearsals are for the actors.  As a director I deal with the rest of the crew away from (usually before or after) the actors' rehearsals. 

I think it's important for my actors to know that whatever plans they make, whatever steps they take to fit the play into their lives, working around the rehearsal schedule I've given them, will not be tampered with.  It's a matter of respect.  I show them up front that I respect them and their contribution to our show, and (fortunately, so far) the respect is always reciprocated.

Posted By: Theatermama
Date Posted: 11/17/10 at 3:16pm

I do 8 weeks of rehearsal on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday (Due to my work schedule) until Tech Week from 6-9 but usually we try to be done by 8 if I use children.   For my musical last year we had dance rehearsal on Sunday and at 7 on Tuesday for the first several weeks until all songs were taught and then just on Sunday for review with choreographer. 

I am very conscious of my actors time, I work scenes out of order for blocking so that only the lead usually has to be there every rehearsal. We work around conflicts and I am very flexible.  The first 4 weeks we block and work each scene twice. About 3 weeks before Tech we begin run throughs and what we are doing this time that is new is I had them audio tape a read through with space for movement that we had blocked then we are rehearsing without scripts and with the audio files for the first 2 rehearsals of the runthroughs to get the movement, entrances and exits etc. in order in their muscle and mind memory and lets them focus on the acting and not the words.  Then they are to be off book by the 3rd rehearsal with someone on the prompt book - word so far is they like it.  It was a suggestion given to me by my son who is majoring in theater at a state university so I thought I would try it. He had a director that used it all throughout the rehearsal process and he felt it really helped so suggested I might like to try it.  I will use it again and maybe earlier in the process next time, it took me a while to figure out how to do it. Thanks to my stage manager's access to the technology needed it worked easily.  We only get to tech 3 days before opening and those are longer rehearsals but I still try to be done in 4 hours if I can.

Posted By: Theatermama
Date Posted: 11/17/10 at 3:23pm
I should note though this summer we did Complete Works of Shakespeare Abridged that ran for the last 2 weekends of the month and we didn't start rehearsal until the beginning of the 2nd week of same month and they rehearsed for 1 1/2 weeks for 6 hours a day Monday - Friday and then Monday through Thursday (including tech Wed/Thursday day) and we worked for several more hours a day on producing and tech duties and then teched for 2 days and opened that last tech Thursday night.  That is much more like summer stock but it is possible.  It helped that 2/3 of the cast had done the first act a couple of years before and the third actor had been a grip for the entire show so all were familiar.

Posted By: lparks
Date Posted: 11/18/10 at 7:27am
Our production of Narnia the Musical is rehearsing 20 days (6 weeks with holiday breaks) - average of 3 hour days with 5 days at 8 hours. 20 days does not include Tech week, which begins Sunday prior to opening Friday performance.

Our production of Boxcar Children and Miracle Worker will both have 3 weeks, 20 hour a week rehearsals schedules, usually Sunday - Thursday.

-------------
Landon Parks,
Producing Artistic Director,
Bloomington Repertory Theatre Co

Date Posted: 11/18/10 at 7:32am
The wide variety of options here just goes to prove one of my favorite green room sayings... "All community theaters are not created equal".. Bottom line is, we all have to do what works with our folks and community....

-------------
Marty W

Posted By: FFootlighters
Date Posted: 11/18/10 at 9:29am

I learned the following as a rule of thumb.

1 minute of stage time = 1 hour of rehearsal.

Therefore a 90 minute play = 90 hours of rehearsal.

Break that down to 3 hours a night at 5 nights a week = 6 weeks.

This, imo, is where the standard of 6 weeks and 8 weeks comes into play. For a production with volunteer actors that can only rehearse at night, three hours is about right. I also start the rehearsal with warm-ups, acting exercises, etc. then spend 2 hours working the show with the final half hour to fifteen minutes for notes, questions and general housekeeping. For a musical, the extra 30 hours is for dedicated dance and vocal rehearsals.

For me, the cast size also changes that formula. For a small cast, I can get more done in less time. For a large cast or a farce that has intricate blocking and timing, I might need more. I can easily do a 2-hour show with 5-6 actors in 6 weeks of rehearsal and feel that we're ready on opening night. For a larger cast, I don't count tech week into the 6-week process as I'm changing my focus from the actors to all the technical aspects that are being added. This gives the actors another 8-10 hours to solidify the show.

Just FYI - I also learned another rule of thumb early in my career.

1 minute of stage-combat = 1 hour of rehearsal.

Again, if I've got a large bit of sword-fighting, such as "I Hate Hamlet" or a large knife fight, such as "West Side Story", I'll pad the rehearsal accordingly. In fact, I think we rehearsed West Side for 10 weeks. Unheard of, I know, but it was mostly with high school students who could afford the time. Anecdotally, I had a patron ask me where the road company would next be performing after he saw that production and was shocked when I told him they were high school students.

Cheers

-------------
Fairfield Footlighters
Fairfield, OH
http://www.fairfield-footlighters.org

Date Posted: 11/18/10 at 1:02pm
FFootlighters, I know your Group. This is Marty Williams, (late of the OCTA board). Do I know you?

-------------
Marty W

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info