Forum Discription: General questions about how to make it work
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1809
Printed Date: 5/19/24 at 2:31am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Theatre space
Posted By: k8tt
Subject: Theatre space
Date Posted: 4/19/06 at 1:15pm
Our CT might be able to get space to build a stage and seating in an old factory (yahoo!  Finally a venue!) but the owner needs to know how much space we need.  We know roughly how much we need for stage/seating but I have to draft up the plans and am not sure what amount of backstage/dressing room/storage space we need.  Does anyone have any info on requirements for a small CT?

Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: Joan54
Date Posted: 4/19/06 at 2:21pm
Congratulations!  I really don't have the info you want....I would say the more space the better..particularly for prop and costume storage.   What I did want to tell you was that we had a space that we used for only a few shows before the Building Inspector shut us down.  There are very strict rules for public gathering places.  The rules that shut us down were lack of fire exits ( they need to be a certain size with special hardware on the doors etc.) and also that the chairs had to be permanently bolted to the floor so they couldn't tip over in a stampede ( presumably the inspector was expecting us to have really bad plays).  So, anyways...a word of caution..get a copy of the building code and zoning laws for your area or, better yet, get the inspector involved right now and discuss his requirements.  I would hate for you to put a lot of money and effort into your venue only to find that you can't open it to the public.  Good Luck

-------------
"behind a thin wall of logic panic is waiting to stampede"

Posted By: Shatcher
Date Posted: 4/19/06 at 5:22pm
I must agree with Joan54. There should be a theatrical supplier in your area who would be able to help you with your plans. My guide lines for back stage would be the same size as your stage half on each side. I know that seems like a lot and many theatres don't have that much. but a girl can dream... for dressings rooms think about the size of the biggest cast you have ever had in a show and increse it by half. storage space as much space as your stage if you can swing it. if you go in with these high square footage needs you can always cut space out of a plan. It is pretty hard to add extra space later. Good Luck.

Date Posted: 4/19/06 at 5:43pm
I am an architectural designer (normally do residential but have done commercial and institutional in the past) so am current on the Building Codes.  That's one reason I'm good as Stage Manager - I am VERY safety conscious! *G* I've never done a theatre before and while I know what I would want backstage as SM, we may not get THAT much space. Wink   I haven't been inside the factory yet so don't know what the space is like.  Watch - it will have posts every ten feet!

We've been looking for a home for three years so I've got all my fingers crossed about this place!  I HATE having to build stages in various unsuitable locations with no dressing rooms, cramped backstage areas and no storage (my car is always full of costumes and props!).  We are currently rehearsing in a place where the Building Manager kicks us out exactly at 9pm.  Ah well, at least we have a place to rehearse that isn't a moldy church basement (our previous rehearsal venue).

Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 4/19/06 at 8:07pm
G'donya K8tt!
I always tend to start with the stage area as the yard stick for the others.
A rule of thumb I always use for specific theatre areas multiply by 3. In nearly all venues I have had anything to with, either as a new purposeful built or a modified space. It always seems to come down to this relationship, when comparing the auditorium to the stage area or the height of the Fly loft to the Pro. [Pro height from the deck to Teaser 12?, you need a 24? void in the fly loft - making it 36? in all]
Similar with On stage to Off. Including storage & other areas needed backstage.
This holds also with electrical provisions, if the stage requires say 20 lighting patch circuits in the FOH, you can warrant 60 needed on stage. Of course you have to be judicial & take into account the practical logistics of the space. Using 2 lighting Bars FOH, it would be an over kill to have 6 lighting Battens on stage, where by 3 only would be needed.
But I must say it is refreshing to read that an Architect  actually knows anything about theatre, like what we are about or how it works!
I have yet to meet one that has any idea or theatre experience, beyond that of maybe being a punter once or twice!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: Playwright
Date Posted: 4/19/06 at 8:29pm

One of the CT's in the region I live in took over an old factory/wharehouse space. It's not in the city where I live but I've attended Festivals in the space. It's awesome.  They basically divided the space in half (I think).  One half is the theatre, stage, seating (about 500 seats if I remember correctly), lobby etc.  Back half is dressing rooms, workshop and rehearsal space exact dimensions of the stage.  I can find out the name of the theatre and contact info if you want.   

I'm in Ontario, Canada, by the way.

Posted By: Kathy S
Date Posted: 4/20/06 at 1:57am

Originally posted by Joan54

The rules that shut us down were lack of fire exits ( they need to be a certain size with special hardware on the doors etc.) and also that the chairs had to be permanently bolted to the floor so they couldn't tip over in a stampede ( presumably the inspector was expecting us to have really bad plays). 

Gee, I know I've been in quite a few theatres where the chairs are the square-ish upholstered metal or wood ones that are NOT bolted down...or the folding style chair...in black box theatres and in community halls, etc...what about all that?

Posted By: Joan54
Date Posted: 4/20/06 at 8:08am
Maybe they pay off the building inspector (ha) Actually I think it had to do with the occupancy...a smaller venue like a black box may have been exempt.  Community Centers and church halls already have permits...probably for occasional gathering but not for regular use as a theater.  We had a fire marshall shut us down in a space that was used regularly for wedding receptions...now a wedding reception is full of drunks dancing around tables with lit candles...how could a theater be more of a threat to the public than a wedding reception?  

-------------
"behind a thin wall of logic panic is waiting to stampede"

Date Posted: 4/21/06 at 6:29pm
Thanks for the info!  I found a couple of Comm. theatre designs (I hadn't thought about a separate rehearsal hall - good idea).  I'm having fun arranging the myriad of spaces needed while still making sure they are accessible to emergency exits. 

Playwright - I would love to know which Ontario theatre is in a factory/warehouse.  We're in Nova Scotia.

Gaafa - thanks for the lighting info for this and for the help answering my lighting question about our next play, Marvin's Room (small stage, three separate areas to light, remember?).  My lighting techs were very happy to get your info and our last play (Faith County) made enough money to go buy some fresnels and barn doors.  The techies are SO excited.

Date Posted: 4/22/06 at 1:09am
G?donya K8TT
That?s we all are about here!
Now the Gene has been let out of the bottle, keep the bottles cork handy, especially with their wish list.
"Ah yes I remember it so well!"

I?m sure you will be there for them, when they wish is to take over the theatre world, with only an ?Everready? battery & then the reality sets in!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: Playwright
Date Posted: 4/22/06 at 12:31pm

k8TT,

Here's the website for the CT that now operates out of an renovated factory/wharehouse space.  I would imagine if you contact somebody on their board of directors they'd have the info you would need. 

http://www.guelphlittletheatre.com - www.guelphlittletheatre.com

Posted By: Topper
Date Posted: 4/22/06 at 1:00pm

I believe one reason why so many performers/directors/technicians encounter difficult working conditions is that MOST theater architects and designers are only concerned with accommodating the PUBLIC (audience members, board members and patrons.)

Therefore, the theater has a lovely lobby, comfy seats and a handsome facade, but the backstage area including shop, dressing rooms, tech booth and wingspace (if they even remember to build them) are comparable to a Devil's Island prison.

So much magic happens in the theater that outsiders tend to believe we can "make it work" no matter what nightmare we face.

Sorry.  Not much help in this forum, but I needed to vent.

-------------
"None of us really grow up. All we ever do is learn how to behave in public." -- Keith Johnstone

Posted By: Oberon
Date Posted: 4/22/06 at 10:31pm

My unscientific rule of thumb is that the backstage and storage space should be as large as the combined dimensions of your stage and house space. 

So, determine the square footage of your house (seating area/lobby) and stage. Then determine what practical areas you want behind the scenes like backstage wing space, storage, load-in zone, dressing rooms; rail and dimmer rack space, etc. The backstage area should be, at least, the same square footage as your frontstage area.

Think about it.

Posted By: mark_j
Date Posted: 4/23/06 at 11:18am

Do you have fly and wing space?  Our theatre has 10 foot wings and a 14 foot ceiling with a 40x25 stage.  The theatre is also a former warehouse.  If I had a magical blueprint, I'd tack on  10 more feet on either side of the stage. 

BTW, you want to have plenty of restrooms...design them in now.  We have killer intermissions- over half an hour because of lines to the restrooms.  Double the code- trust me your tire cast who just want to get home will thank you.

mj

Date Posted: 4/24/06 at 12:01am
 I mirror Toppers post!
Along with the suggestion of Makj ?Loo? situation, the punters are usually in line with the codes.  As far as the bogs are concerned backstage, we normally only cater for the use of mixed dressing rooms & at least one unisex ?Crapper Valve?!
However have keep in mind the flushing factor! The Sydney Opera House spent a heap of gold bricks on cutting down the noise of flushing during performances.
Following on from the Black ?n Blue thumb nail ratio!
Being a pencil & paper bloke, I found it easier designing sets & working out venue spaces, using some of my young sons ?Lego? blocks. Which I ?arf inched queitly without him knowing. Until one day when I was trying to solve a vexing scenography situation, while I was away he played with it! I was putting all the blocks in place again & I realised he unwittingly had fixed it!
So in appreciation I got him another construct-a-toy & secreted some of his Lego away, which he never asked for or got them back.
They are still useful in giving a quick 3D aspect solution. Now he?s over thirty, they are all mine along with his Meccano set!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
May you always play
to a full house}

Date Posted: 4/25/06 at 11:33am
Thanks for the website, Playwright.  I will check it out.

Since I am usually the stage manger, I am REALLY concerned about the backstage area.  Right now I am working with a tiny stage (12 x 20) and backstage consists of 3' wide aisles around the stage and ONE dressing room/bathroom (it's an accessible bathroom where we get to store costumes, props, etc.).  We trip over each other back there and I no longer blush at seeing actors in varying stages of undress. *G*

We also have had the 'line to the loo' problem with patrons and cast so I have designed in male and female dressing rooms each with their own toilet.  The FOH toilets are easy to accomodate. 

Honestly I cannot believe how much space backstage takes up with costume storage, shop and storage, receiving, green room, dressing rooms, etc. 

Didn't think about making the wings bigger, mj, but good idea.

And LOL Gaafa - maybe I'll go hunt up some Lego!

Posted By: JoeMc
Date Posted: 3/23/08 at 9:01pm
We have a refurbished performing venue now!

Our theatre group will be responsible to supply a 'Duty tech'/performance. The theatre will contra deal the DT's payment & offset it against the cost of them hiring the venue. Further any hirer wanting to supply thier own 'DT' must pay to become acredited by attendance of an orietation course, run by our theatre group. 
Which should ensure our theatre groups future endorsement with our City Council?
The next thing is to wait untill the Achitec racks off & we can modify the building & refurbishments, to make it a workable performance venue! 
This came about because a mate of mine, who is a member of another local comeatre, is now getting paid as a casual  'Duty Tech' there.
He is with a small comeatre group wich owns a 100 seat venue here, because they are in demand as a hire venue just lately.
Pay a 'duty tech' as part of the hire fee for performances only. Also as a private treaty he charges a nominal fee to build the set for visiting productions.
The fee is primarily just $20/hour for a 3 hour show call, this is because of the latest amendment to the the 'Public Building Health & safety act. Also the Insurance Companies are insisting that a 'duty tech' be present during performances.
He does not get paid for the theatre groups own, in house productions though.
Paying him to be in attendance during a hirers production, is the theatre grops equipment & facilities are not used & abused. Also he is on hand if anything goes wrong, such as an accident,  fire or if evacuation is required. This also helps the hire group because he can orientate them on the equipment 7& use of the facilities. { more importantly he has completed the manditory 'Bar Managers' course!]
Further if anything untoward happens, he can stop the show & either muster the punters or call ensure an ambulance, fire or police are called.
On another tangent, our City Council has just completed the refurbishment of our new theatre & performing arts space venue.
So we got them to include a 'Duty Techs' in thier hire fees, for other groups using the performance venue.

Not only but also, because of this latest enactment of the Health Act, for public buildings.
I have instigated & proposed to our state community Theatre association, that we form a Technical advisory Pool [TAP] to help & assist other member groups comply with the new legislation through out the State.
For the most part this will be a group of 'techies' who are available to the groups, to ensure that PAT [Portable Appliance Testing] is carried out regularly & instucting thier techies on becoming competant testers & how to keep an on going 'Log Book', for Emergency & exit & equipment maintance.
Further to advise on other how to apply 'flame Retardant' to sets & other aspects of theatre.
The pool so far has besides qualified Electricains, Licenced technicains & other trades persons involved in theatre & the performing arts.
TAP I hope will also be a catchment are for retire proeatre black ducks & other who may have fallen by the wayside. 
{You never know TAp might get into giving Awards yearly for technical theatre, at our annual 'Finley' Awards.
I thought of designing a blow moulded 'Rock' with a water tap protruding from it & a plastic blood coloured drip, coming out the taps spout. Also the taps them selves could be in anodised gold, chrome & brass . To depict the various levels of the TAP award?Wink

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
"Hear the light & see the sound!
TOI TOI CHOOKAS
{may you always play to a full house!}

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info