Forum Discription: For everything else
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1776
Printed Date: 6/16/24 at 9:52am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Audition Farce
Posted By: k8tt
Subject: Audition Farce
Date Posted: 3/29/06 at 8:36am
I am just venting a bit about a farce of an audition last night.  I agreed to Stage Manage our CT's next play even though I had not met the Director yet (this woman has never directed for our CT before).  Her "open" audition was a sham.  She had already picked actors for the three major roles - all people she had directed in the same play many, many years ago.  ALL three of these actors look too old now for these roles (I guess that's what makeup is for...*meow*Wink ).  There were many good (better) actors present at the auditions who were very interested in the lead roles and who were frustrated that they were not even asked to read!

I should have realized that our Artistic Director was planning this when she insisted that we do this play.  SHE got the lead role!

And I was assigned the task of phoning everyone and telling them they didn't get a part.  I have to now soothe lots of ruffled feathers.

*big sigh*

Replies:
Posted By: Mike Polo
Date Posted: 3/29/06 at 8:58am
Now that is all wrong... I hate pre-casting. I also hate directors who won't make their own calls. As far as I'm concerned, if you make the decision, you should make the calls. I hate doing it when I direct, but it's part of the job. I won't work for a director that handles things the way yours did.

-------------
Mike Polo
Community Theater Green Room
http://www.communitytheater.org
http://www.twitter.com/CTGreenRoom">

Posted By: GoldCanyonLady
Date Posted: 3/29/06 at 9:46am
I just cast The Curious Savage and was accused of pre-casting because I gave the lead roles to two new people. Go figure! Two people who have been the lead in every other play (we have only done 3 so far) wanted the lead again and I was so impressed with two new actors that they got the roles that the other actress wanted (Mrs. Savage and Fairy Mae). I gave the role of the stepdaughter Lily Belle to the previous star and she was so upset that she said she wouldn't be in the play, but I talked her in to being a team player.

Yes, I make my calls too and hate that part of directing. I am threatening to just post the cast and take off for a month so no one can cry. Oh, yes, one gal cried and cried because she wasn't cast. God help me!

-------------
Barb Hofmeister,
MountainBrook Village Players, Gold Canyon, Arizona.

Date Posted: 3/29/06 at 10:14am
P.S. This is not high school. Our CT is in a senior community. We are all 55 or older. 

-------------
Barb Hofmeister,

Posted By: B-M-D
Date Posted: 3/29/06 at 8:33pm

Normally I'd say that most directors have good idea of who they might want in a show.   Some people might call that pre-casting but any director that doesn't have an idea who might be appropriate going into it hasn't done their homework.   However, from what you describe I'd say you have about as tight case of pre-casting that I've heard of.   My condolances to you.

One thing that we never do at my CT is call the folks that didn't get cast.  We post the cast list on a phone line and on our web site after the actors have accepted the roles.   Phoning the people that didn't get cast is just too painfull for both parties.  Invariably someone will always ask why they weren't cast.   And there can be any number of reasons, none of which usually satisfies anyone.

-------------
BD

"Dying is easy, comedy is hard."

Posted By: Theatrestation
Date Posted: 3/29/06 at 8:50pm

Years ago our theatre was doing a production of Quilters and it was pre cast. Fortunately it wasn't a show that many of us were passionate about, but it was the infuriating "sham" aspect that was annoying. During the auditions the one director said something and the other replied with "no because Heather will be doing that part" a few of us just looked at each other and fortunately found it more absurdly amusing than anything else.

As a director I may have ideas of who I hope auditions for a show, but I will not cast a show until auditions are finished.

I agree with BD, I don't call those who don't make it. We post it on our doors and on our website and it usually appears fairly soon in our local paper.

Date Posted: 3/30/06 at 12:40am
Originally posted by B-M-D

However, from what you describe I'd say you have about as tight case of pre-casting that I've heard of.   My condolances to you.

I beg your pardon. The new people that read were brand new. I had no idea they were even trying out so how could I pre cast?  But they were good and I am happy with the casting.  Maybe we do our casting differently than you. We post a notice for a time and place and anyone is invited to show up. They don't have to make an appointment. Each year we have had new people show up and that is delightful. Some are good and others aren't but I like the freshness of the way we do it.

-------------
Barb Hofmeister,

Posted By: Kathy S
Date Posted: 3/30/06 at 2:56am
Originally posted by GoldCanyonLady

Originally posted by B-M-D

However, from what you describe I'd say you have about as tight case of pre-casting that I've heard of.   My condolances to you.

I beg your pardon. The new people that read were brand new. I had no idea they were even trying out so how could I pre cast?  But they were good and I am happy with the casting.  Maybe we do our casting differently than you. We post a notice for a time and place and anyone is invited to show up. They don't have to make an appointment. Each year we have had new people show up and that is delightful. Some are good and others aren't but I like the freshness of the way we do it.

Barb, I don't think that B-M-D's last comment was directed towards you, but rather to k8tt's original post...

Posted By: POB14
Date Posted: 3/30/06 at 3:32pm

This is a recurring issue here, and just to stir the pot a bit . . . .

What do you consider pre-casting?  Where is the line?

Suppose I'm doing Hedda Gabler.  (I am doing Hedda Gabler, but not as a director; I'm playing Judge Brack.  End of plug.)  Two ladies come in to audition for the role of Hedda:  let's call them Barb and K8tt.  (This is all a hypothetical; I don't know either of them in real life.)  Now Barb does a fine audition, reads well, doesn't trip over the furniture.  But K8tt stumbles over every other word, never looks up from her book, and almost falls into the orchestra pit twice.

And I proceed to cast K8tt.

The reason I do this is, I have worked with k8tt (in our hypothetical world) ten times before, and I know she's just one of those people who audition badly.  Maybe she has a little reading problem, maybe she just chokes at auditions; I don't know why.  But I know she's given knock-'em-on-their-tushies performances every single time. 

Barb, however, I've never met.  What I just saw might be as good as she gets.  Maybe she can't learn lines.  Maybe she sets fire to puppies for fun.  The point is, I just don't know.

Now, is this precasting?  Is it permissible?

What if I know Barb, and I know she can't learn lines, and sets fire to puppies?   Is it precasting now?

Or is it only precasting if I won't ever change my mind, no matter if Judi Dench shows up to audition?

Where is the line?

-------------
POB
Old Bugger, Curmudgeon, and Antisocial B**tard

Posted By: B-M-D
Date Posted: 3/30/06 at 5:35pm

Thanks Kathy S for clarifying my statement you were 110% right, I was commenting on the original post.

As for POB's scenario it's an interesting proposition.   I wouldn't define any of those situations as pre-casting.   I certainly wouldn't recommend passing on Judi Dench if she showed up to audition but hey that's your prerogative as director.     I think that for each production and actor for that matter the director's parameters may be different. I think it's unrealistic and a bit naive to think that a director may not have a preference for certain actors or not be more reluctant to cast someone that they've never worked with before or seen.   You can only go with what you know and if that means relying on more than just the audition and resume I have no problem with that.

-------------
BD

"Dying is easy, comedy is hard."

Posted By: closetdiva
Date Posted: 3/31/06 at 11:02am

Pre-casting? If handled correctly (meaning you put in all the notices that "the role of X has been cast") it's not necessarily a bad thing. It's bad when they don't announce it, have you audition, read lines, learn part of a dance and then later you find out the role(s) you wanted was/were never available. Of course, the last is a hypothetical for me.

I'm one of those types who try to do my best at auditions and take pretty much anything. If I really like the show, I'll even work crew just to be involved. There was one show that I auditioned for, along with a friend who seemed ideal for this one role. His audition was amazing, the director was impressed. The guy who got cast? Didn't audition as well. I was in the show, though - the actor really fit for the director's idea of the part. (Heck, lots of times I'll go see a show I didn't get a part in just to see who the director *did* cast - it gives me a better idea of what they might look for in future shows.)

Now, as to calling those of us who didn't get cast - well, it's nice. I don't expect it to be the director (unless I got cast). At least one of the theaters has the producer call - sometimes they'll recommend that I audition for another show (which is how I ended up in "On The 20th Century" - an awesome show!). And it's always easy for me to either remind them or ask them if I can help out backstage for the show. Of course, I love to sew and paint, so, there you go...

Just wanted to add in my two cents.

-Cd

P.S. After my last audition, I actually had a friend on the casting committee. She was able to tell me that a) my second monologue wasn't a good choice and, b) I wasn't the physical type that the director wanted for the role. Both things I can work on - thanks to some honest feedback!

-------------
Duct tape can fix anything - except a dropped line! ;-)

Posted By: whitebat
Date Posted: 8/13/07 at 2:27am
I've done one kind of show that's ALWAYS precast.  That would be "Interactive Murder Mysteries".  The people who write the show are the show.  So basically the people that brainstorm and write them are guaranteed roles, and we audition anyone else we need.  But I think our CT almost went kaput after the first show because the director cast all 3 of her daughters in 3 major roles.  The AD took over, and none of the director's family were in that show. 

Posted By: mommathes
Date Posted: 8/16/07 at 1:01am
Pre-casting is an ongoing discussion in our group.  We started out with the idea that we would reward sweat equity when casting.  In other words, if you are helpful with all that it takes to put on a show that will be considered when you audition.  Our group encourages families (moms, dads, kids, aunts and uncles) to get involved in the whole production process from set construction to props and costumes to publicity and box office.  When it comes time to hold auditions is it wrong for us to cast those who have given the most?  Our last production was cast with auditions that were by invitation only.  While I didn't necessarily agree with this approach I did understand the director's frustration in those who want to be catered to and can't even be bothered to hang up a poster somewhere to help publicize a production.  We had one actress who was asked to bring a dusting cloth to use as a prop for her character.  Her response was "I act, I don't do props".  Meanwhile I was producing, painting the set, finding period costumes for half the cast, running the box office, printing tickets and programs and asked to be the female lead four weeks out.   Where do we draw the line or how do we get more people involved who are willing to help and are not just interested in the applause for themselves or for their kids.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info