Print Page | Close Window

during the performance

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Producing Theater
Forum Name: Directing
Forum Discription: For questions about handling shows, actors, crew, board members, children ...or do we repeat ourselves?
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1743
Printed Date: 5/19/24 at 8:24am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: during the performance
Posted By: zoonbaby
Subject: during the performance
Date Posted: 11/11/05 at 3:18pm

Hi, I'm a high school director, and I'm working on my third performance.  I'm learning everything as I go, because I wasn't active in theatre in high school or college.  I've been reading some of the threads and would like to ask this question:

What do you do during the performance?

I read the article that said you should walk around and go back and give pep talks.  I do that sometimes, but mostly I just sit and watch the show and let the stage manager/assistant director do most of the work.  Is this lazy of me?  What do you do?

Replies:
Posted By: tristanrobin
Date Posted: 11/11/05 at 4:17pm
I sit and watch the show.

twenty years ago, I paced outside and smoked cigarettes

now I just sit and watch.

Posted By: Linda S
Date Posted: 11/11/05 at 5:12pm

I am in production right now. I sit and watch the show. I can tie a decent bow tie, so sometimes I do that. If I have done my job, there is nothing for me to do during the show.

Linda

Posted By: zoonbaby
Date Posted: 11/11/05 at 5:20pm
That is good to hear.  That is what I plan to do tonight, after my pep talk. 

Posted By: castMe
Date Posted: 11/11/05 at 11:17pm
The nights of the run are among my favorite of the entire process.  I love to watch the show I've worked hard (sometimes for twelve months or more) and revel in the performances.  I direct for me.  I picked the show because I liked it and now is my chance to see 3, 4, 6, 8 or more performances.  I don't think its lazy at all and it keeps me out of the actors' way so they can go thru their preparations, nervous gyrations, whatever. I echo Linda, if you've done your job, your job is done.

-------------
Investigate. Imagine. Choose.

Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 11/12/05 at 1:16am
I just spend my time being a punter or standing out side having loads  of caffeine or sucking on nicotine tunes, until each performance is finished.
I never go back stage & stay out of the way of the SM, cast & crew or even have words with the cast before or during the performance.
I normally dust of the paton leather shoes & the dinner tin flute.
I do hang about & worry the FOH?s some times, but they are not my problem!
Otherwise I just like to be as conspicuous as the invisible man!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: Thespian_4_ever
Date Posted: 7/25/06 at 11:15pm

Once tech week starts besides giving notes to your actors the show is in the stage managers hands... it's there job to cue the lights, sound, and pit... as well as keeping the show together in those mid-show emergencies!

-------------

Posted By: B-M-D
Date Posted: 7/26/06 at 12:15pm

Tell the cast to break a leg and watch, my job is done!   And of course go out with the cast & crew after each performance.

-------------
BD

"Dying is easy, comedy is hard."

Posted By: Juror #3
Date Posted: 10/12/06 at 2:25pm
Once the show begins its run, I stay out of the way.  I figure the actors and the tech people have enough to do without my getting in their hair.  I do not roam around backstage; I watch the show and kick myself for all the things I see that I should have done.  I do not do pep talks before a show, and I really don't care for directors who feel they need to do that.  When I act, I use the time before curtain to prepare, to get into character and so on.  During intermission, I check in with the actors to see how they are doing and if I have noticed anything that they need to know, like not turning their backs to the audience or not opening up to the folks at the sides of our thrust stage, I tell them.  I will do the same with the tech people.  After the show, I may make a suggestion to someone of something they might want to try tomorrow night if he/she is an actor who is experienced and receptive to changing things once a show opens.  Some actors are not.  Mostly, I acknowledge that what is going on is no longer under my control and focus on watching and enjoying what has been accomplished.

-------------
Juror #3

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 10/12/06 at 2:39pm

I generally sit in the house (at the back) and give notes to an assistant, who scribbles in the dark.  I recruit other staff members to supervise backstage--I give comp tickets for a night they don't work.  You never want to leave high schoolers unsupervised backstage--to many opportunities for mischief and tomfoolery--use your imagination.

-------------

Posted By: suzecue1
Date Posted: 10/12/06 at 3:55pm
After opening night, a director's job is done and I usually just sit in the back of the auditorium and watch. I have been known to do a little pre-show energy or pep talk, saying something astounding like "I love all of you" and "don't suck", but normally I just watch.  I do like to go back stage at intermission and tell them how great they are doing, or tell them the little things that I notice (usually something that wasn't a planned part of the performance) good or bad.  Things tend to get a little too relaxed (and loose) at the end of the run. Especially with the seniors. That can be good or bad. Directing teens is a lot like being a parent.  You do you best while raising (and directing) them, and hopefully the direction you give will be apparent when they are on their own (and in their performances).

-------------
Sue
So many hats.....so few heads!

Posted By: tcpmatt
Date Posted: 10/12/06 at 4:34pm

When the show opens, I sit in the back and watch. Before the show I will give them a talk and tell them little things to keep the energy up. I have sometimes changed little things "keep them fresh" each night. It has worked very well for all my shows. Sometimes Ill go next door to the local Rest. and have a quick beer.

Posted By: Sueshoo
Date Posted: 10/15/06 at 3:45pm

I agree with Suzecue1 on this, director's job is done and it is time to take a back seat and let the audience and cast enjoy themselves. Having said that - I always make sure that my SM has the best interest of the show in mind and our vision and trust they will keep things in order.  "Let's do the show we rehearsed".

Originally posted by suzecue1

After opening night, a director's job is done and I usually just sit in the back of the auditorium and watch. I have been known to do a little pre-show energy or pep talk, saying something astounding like "I love all of you" and "don't suck", but normally I just watch.  I do like to go back stage at intermission and tell them how great they are doing, or tell them the little things that I notice (usually something that wasn't a planned part of the performance) good or bad.  Things tend to get a little too relaxed (and loose) at the end of the run. Especially with the seniors. That can be good or bad. Directing teens is a lot like being a parent.  You do you best while raising (and directing) them, and hopefully the direction you give will be apparent when they are on their own (and in their performances).

-------------
Susan
Life is not a Dress Rehearsal

Posted By: reds
Date Posted: 10/28/06 at 10:18am
After final dress rehearsal, I give the show to my stage manager.  In fact...this "passing of the show"  usually means a lot to him....it shows that I trust him with something I have worked very hard on for months and months.  After a little pre-show peptalk, I then sit in the back (or pace) and watch the show.  My job is done.  I do not make it a practice to go backstage during the show unless I am called there for some reason.  I do take notes, and give them to the actors or crew prior to the next performance. 

Posted By: NagarWSF
Date Posted: 1/19/07 at 11:17am
I usually use tech week to transition the show from my hands to the SM's.I agree with everyone, that once the show opens, my job is done. I like to sit back and enjoy. I do give a pre-performance pep-energy talk. But keep it short and sweet. The cast and crew have more important things to do than listen to me babble on. I don't take notes during the run. If I see something jarringly off, I may go talk to the actor about it informally, but otherwise, it Miller time! (Well, in my case, Killian's time!)

-Sandy

-------------
Working Class Theatre Company
www.workingclasstheatre.org

Posted By: avcastner
Date Posted: 5/20/07 at 12:36pm
FYI:  I'm the "guest" from a few posts earlier--my username didn't migrate when the forum updated.

If the first act went lousy, I will go backstage at inermission (with permission from my stage manager) and try to pep them up for the next act.  I strive for double the energy than usual at the beginning of Act 2 if Act 1 had problems.  It helps put everyone back on track.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info