Print Page | Close Window

Edge of your Seat Thrillers

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Producing Theater
Forum Name: Play Suggestions
Forum Discription: Need help finding a show that's right for your theater? Ask here.
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1684
Printed Date: 5/03/24 at 9:39am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Edge of your Seat Thrillers
Posted By: bernster74
Subject: Edge of your Seat Thrillers
Date Posted: 10/20/05 at 9:12pm

Hi All,

I'm on the Play Selection Committee of a local theatre and I am looking for a good thriller.  In my readings, I find that I am not a fan of the more traditional murder mysteries or whodunits.  We are about to open Wait Until Dark and the reservations are looking very good.  We have also done Deathtrap with excellent success.  I know these "white knuckle" thrillers are out there - any help?

Many thanks,

Bernie

Replies:
Posted By: Linda S
Date Posted: 10/20/05 at 11:12pm

You might want to look at "The Woman in Black" by Susan Hill, adapted by Stephen Mallatratt. I saw it twice at two different theaters and was scared silly twice. It is in the vein of an old fashion ghost story. It was a wonderful night of theater.

L.

Posted By: larycrews
Date Posted: 10/21/05 at 1:07am

I recommend NIGHT WATCH by Lucille Fletcher.  5 men 4 women. One set.  And, one HECK of a surprise ending.  The last ten minutes of the play will have people gasping.

We're doing it at Westcoast Players in Dunedin FL Dec 1-11.

Highly recommended!

Lary Crews

Posted By: Tallsor
Date Posted: 10/21/05 at 9:20am

Park University Theatre did a production of Shirley Jackson's "The Haunting of Hill House" six or so years ago that STILL chills me (they utilized part of the short story as voice overs).

Another interesting one is "The Spiral Staircase" by F. Andrew Leslie.

Angie

Posted By: FunkyChicken
Date Posted: 10/21/05 at 10:45am

I agree.  My CT is currently putting on Shirley Jackson's "The Haunting of Hill House".  Easy sets, almost no special prop requirements, and our little low-budget theatre is able to do some really cool simple but effective special effects.  Scary sounds, great drama with some funny bits thrown in.  This is a great script and perfect for a Halloween show!

-------------
OK. Let's just get this over with. No, I'm not seasick. Yes, I was born this way. No, I DID NOT eat grass as a child. This is my sister, Nessa. As you can see she's perfectly normal.
-Elphaba Thropp

Posted By: Poppie
Date Posted: 10/21/05 at 10:53am
I just saw a production of "Turn of the Screw" last night.  Its a wonderful psychological ghost story.  Only two actors playing several different characters.  Sparse set, but you can do wonderful things with the lights and sound.  You're never sure of what is real and what is imagined.

-------------
If we could read minds, we wouldn't need headsets.

Posted By: falstaff29
Date Posted: 10/21/05 at 11:23am

I've always loved Pinter's work (in particular look at his early plays)- his characters engage in these chilling psychological power games.  Deeply disturbing, and yet deeply funny.  Not so much scary in terms of visual gags or anything, but there's a definite edge-of-seat atmosphere throughout.

Posted By: tristanrobin
Date Posted: 10/21/05 at 12:12pm
oooh
The Haunting of Hill House, The Spiral Stair Case, Turn
of the Screw
, Night Watch!
I haven't seen those plays in years!
They really are good.

You guys have whetted my appetite...Now I want to go watch a good
creepy mystery!

Posted By: POB14
Date Posted: 10/21/05 at 3:46pm
How about Angel Street?

-------------
POB
Old Bugger, Curmudgeon, and Antisocial B**tard

Posted By: Sueshoo
Date Posted: 10/21/05 at 4:14pm

I agree on "Haunting of Hillhouse", I still remember a production I saw a million years ago.

And another suggestion - "Wait Until Dark"

-------------
Susan
Life is not a Dress Rehearsal

Posted By: castMe
Date Posted: 11/04/05 at 6:23pm
I second Wait Until Dark.  One of the few shows where you can solicit an actual scream out of the audience. Fun stuff and a great role for a good young actress. 

-------------
Investigate. Imagine. Choose.

Posted By: bernster74
Date Posted: 3/25/06 at 12:53pm

All good suggestions.  Wait Until Dark turned out to be one of our best sellers of all time.  I love getting the audience to scream!

Has anyone any experience with the following suspense/thrillers? (good audience response?  tickets sales?  etc.?).

-Veronica's Room, Ira Levin
-An Ispector Calls, J.B. Priestly
-Dial M for Murder, Frederick Knott
-Earth and Sky, Douglas Post
-The Bad Seed, Maxwell Anderson
-Accomplice, Rupert Holmes

Or if you still have other suggestions for good thrillers, let me know.

Any feedback you have would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Posted By: B-M-D
Date Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:21pm

Accomplice by Rupert Holmes (yes the same Rupert Holmes that did the Pina Colada song and the Mystery of Edwin Drood) - so many layers it's like peeling an onion.   We did it three season ago, audiences loved it.

Veronica's Room - one of the best pay off endings ever.  It's in our 06-07 season.

An Inspector Calls - one of the worst plays, let alone thrillers I've ever had the misfortune to read.   I can't imagine sitting through a production of it.

The Bad Seed - Almost as bad as Inspector.  There is no mystery there is no thrill and the ending is predictable.   Maxwell Anderson has a way with language that's a lesson in how NOT to write for the stage.

Don't know enough about Dial M or anything about Earth and Sky to write an informed opinion.

-------------
BD

"Dying is easy, comedy is hard."

Posted By: castMe
Date Posted: 4/01/06 at 8:59pm
If you can find two good actors and a great crew, read Sleuth.  Many, many twists and turns. 

-------------
Investigate. Imagine. Choose.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info