Print Page | Close Window

"Can’t Miss" shows?

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Archives
Forum Name: Closed Topics
Forum Discription: Uncategorized posts from the previous version of our discussion board. For browsing and searching.
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1641
Printed Date: 4/30/24 at 2:53am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: "Can’t Miss" shows?
Posted By: Scott B
Subject: "Can’t Miss" shows?
Date Posted: 10/04/05 at 11:23am
I'm looking for two shows for next year's season ... two shows that can't miss.  We're in a small rural area, so I'm not looking at anything too edgy.

Criteria: Cast size needs to be less than 10, can be a musical or a play, MUST be a comedy, more women available than men. (Ain't it always?)

If you've got any winners, let 'em fly and let me know who to obtain the rights through.

Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: Shatcher
Date Posted: 10/04/05 at 11:57am
Any of the Nunsense shows might work for you they are always a hit. of course you can't really go wrong with any of the old standards. I love Arsnic and Old Lace... always brings the house down and is well known.

Posted By: Tallsor
Date Posted: 10/04/05 at 12:31pm

Well, first be aware that there IS no such thing as a 'can't miss show'. To paraphrase Lincoln, you can please some of your audience some of your time, but not all of your audience all of the time.

Have you done any kind of research about your community (i.e., your potential audience)? Comedies are usually sure fire hits, but if these people are looking for you to fill that 'culture void', maybe they're expecting you to do Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde, etc.

If not, Neil Simon always seems to be a hit, and with the popular "Odd Couple" being done on Broadway now, that's always an option.

Have you asked your actors (or potential actors)? Nothing sells a show more than having a cast (and crew) that is doing what they want to do, and are willing to talk about it.

My two bits,

Angie

Date Posted: 10/04/05 at 2:58pm
As small as this area is ... we still have two other theatre companys.  One has seating for 35 and does some Shakespeare as well as off the wall type type stuff.

The other company will occaisionally do a comedy, but also does stuff like Proof and War Stories.  That's why we stick to comedies.

We've only done six shows.  We started out with the large musicals like Music Man, OKLAHOMA!, and OLVIER.  The best attended show we've ever had was Forever Plaid and since it's been over 5 years we're considering bringing it back.

I think the female version of the Odd Couple is something to consider.

Without a doubt the Nunsense shows would be great.  I'm concerned as to whether we have the talent to pull them off ...  but I would do them all if I thought we could.

We're also looking at a couple of shows by Pat Cook.  One in particular that we've all read is Dr. Jeckyl, No Place to Hyde.  Ok ... now you know the level of our comedy. 

We have a board meeting next week and we'll be throwing out some shows for consideration at that time.  I'm just gathering as many titles as I can.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Posted By: Nyria
Date Posted: 10/04/05 at 5:29pm

For a small rural area a british farce is always nice - not too deep or 'artsy fartsy'.

Sorry I have no suggestions for you off the top of my head.

-------------
NYRIA

Posted By: theaterbrat
Date Posted: 10/04/05 at 8:46pm
Run for Your Wife is a good one, small cast, 1 set.

Date Posted: 10/04/05 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Nyria

For a small rural area a british farce is always nice - not too deep or 'artsy fartsy'.

Sorry I have no suggestions for you off the top of my head.

There's a dinner theatre a little over two hours from here that I would be has done almost every British farce.  We have a few people that will make that trip, but would bet that I could take a look at their site and come up with a couple.

Thanks

Posted By: dougb
Date Posted: 10/05/05 at 11:39am
Over the years I have become convinced that the production quality has as much to do with the success of a play as the script.  Believe me, there is no script that can not be screwed up!!!  AACT has a survey on their web site that lists the "best" and "worst" plays - many plays are on both lists!!

I also look at web sites of theaters that I know do good work but are too far for our local audiences to have seen.  Our State CT Association also publishes a list of what every theater has scheduled for the year.  Lots of good ideas on that list.

Given that, here are some local successes:

Female version of the Odd Couple
Over The River and Through the Woods
Tribute
Chapter Two
Wait Until Dark
The Rainmaker

Annie
Fiddler on the Roof
Camelot
The Taffeta's

Posted By: Tallsor
Date Posted: 10/05/05 at 2:39pm

Originally posted by dougb

AACT has a survey on their web site that lists the "best" and "worst" plays - many plays are on both lists!!

To change the subject slightly, do you know where on the AACT site that survey is? I tried doing a small search of the site with no luck.

Angie

Posted By: PatrickArmagh
Date Posted: 10/05/05 at 3:03pm

There are several shows that come to mind, but knowing your audience is of key importance. 

Does your audience like Satire? Wit? Farce? Romantic Comedy? Do they shun comedy about certain subjects like politics or religion?

1. Five Women Wearing the Same Dress (5w,1M: about Bridesmaids)
  2. Epic Proportions (very funny, and runs about 1hr 20 minutes from the creator of friends)
  3. Private Lives and See How They Run.  You can open with a production of Private Lives and end the season with See How They Run and use the same cast in a few cases. Giving you a play within a play publicity stunt for PR/Advertising work.)
  4. Master Class (for your Maria Callis opera fans)
  5. Daddy's Dying, Whose Got the Will
  6. Quilter's (a female musical, plays great to rural crowds, and can sometimes swing a tie-in with other local groups.
  7. "I DO, I DO" or "I Love You, You're Perfect Now Change" (small cast musicals)

Good luck with your search.

Date Posted: 10/05/05 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Tallsor

Originally posted by dougb

AACT has a survey on their web site that lists the "best" and "worst" plays - many plays are on both lists!!

To change the subject slightly, do you know where on the AACT site that survey is? I tried doing a small search of the site with no luck.

Angie

I believe you have to be a member to access that information.  Something I think our CT should consider.

Posted By: Linda S
Date Posted: 10/05/05 at 4:34pm

I was just contacted by a small rural theater to direct Neil Simon's Rumors. I thought it was a great choice for both the performers and the audience. Small cast, fast paced, one set, simple costumes and very very funny. I quess I know what I am doing this winter!

Linda

Posted By: emro
Date Posted: 10/05/05 at 9:06pm
The Importance of Being Earnest remains one of my absolute favorite plays.  It is so funny--and it the royalties, well, you can't complain!   The Foreigner by Larry Shue is also very funny and is bound to get some laughs.  As far as musicals are concerned, The Mystery of Edwin Drood is the absolute funniest thing I've ever seen, bar none (and the production I saw wasn't even that good!), and the cast is equally weighted between males and females (unlike Forever Plaid!)

-------------
Cucumber sandwiches? Watercress sandwiches? The whole scene would stand or fall on his ultimate decision. -- Instant Lives & More: Oscar Wilde

Posted By: LisaJ
Date Posted: 10/06/05 at 2:02pm

A show that does well around our area without fail is Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up?  I believe it is written for 12 characters:  4 children, 3 nuns and 1 father; however, it has been done around here with only 6 children (3 men, 3 women), 3 nuns and a father.  It is about growing up Catholic, and is a wonderful show.

Posted By: Master
Date Posted: 10/06/05 at 5:13pm
girls can play as guys! in our Prsenation of "Guys and Dolls" one of the
main charters was played by one of our girls. by the way that would be
amzing play for you to do. maybe even "Tommy", maybe "JCS", and or
"Hair".

Posted By: alice
Date Posted: 10/06/05 at 8:03pm
Look at a musical called Radio Gals from Sam French.  I did it a number of years ago and people still talk about it.  It is a darling show.  We had a blast.  All women and one man! 

Posted By: Kathy S
Date Posted: 10/07/05 at 1:19am

Our most successful box office season was last year when we did The Nerd, followed by The Odd Couple, followed by Steel Magnolias.  Smallish casts made them manageable shows.  Easily recognised titles made two of them very popular, and the third (Nerd) is a title that certainly has box office appeal for those who don't know the show.  We were also able to use the same set (with minor alterations of course) for all three shows, which was a definite plus for us, since we struggle to have enough set builders.

Posted By: ipspea
Date Posted: 10/13/05 at 12:23pm

"Play On!" (a la "Noises Off") is absolutely hysterical and relatively small cast (3 m 5 f).  "Move Over Mrs Markham" is a wonderful farce as well (4m 5f).  Our audiences LOVED both of them!

I saw another post that recommended "Mystery of Edwin Drood" as a musical.  Unless your actors are VERY talented vocally - I wouldn't recommend it.  I did this one earlier this year the music can be quite difficult.  Our actors who aren't as well trained had a hard time.  Orchesta needs to be VERY strong as well.  Overall I LOVED the show and LOVED doing it (I was Drood), but it's a difficult show.

Who has the publishing rights to "Daddy's Dying, Who's Got the Will?  Appreciate it!

Posted By: bernster74
Date Posted: 11/08/05 at 1:38pm

Not sure if anyone has recommended The Foreiegner yet, but it has a relatively small cast and has always been a hit wherever it plays (it seems). 

Also, look at The Last Night of Ballyhoo by Alfred Uhry - this is a wonderful comedy/drama with a wonderful cast of mostly women - great roles.

And one more - Deathtrap - you need weapons, but audiences love being frightened and will come back for more.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info