Print Page | Close Window

Ticket Prices

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Archives
Forum Name: Closed Topics
Forum Discription: Uncategorized posts from the previous version of our discussion board. For browsing and searching.
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1572
Printed Date: 3/28/24 at 2:40pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ticket Prices
Posted By: Wishbone
Subject: Ticket Prices
Date Posted: 9/03/05 at 11:34am

I searched but couldn't find a post about ticket prices.

How much do you charge for each ticket at your theater?

The youth theater I act at charges $10 for ages 4-12 and $12 for ages 13-adult. What about you?

Wishbone

Replies:
Posted By: 75director
Date Posted: 9/03/05 at 1:21pm

Here's our ticket pricing:

Plays: Adults $12, Students (including college with ID) $7

Musicals: Adults $15, Students (including college with ID) $7

Cast and crew get dicsounted tickets, and we offer a group discount for groups of 10 or more.

Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 9/03/05 at 10:12pm
Nearly all the Amdram theatres here charge;-
around  $15 - $10 Adult $12 - $8 conc.
Cast & crew average 2 comps each.
At our theatre I introduced giving out heaps of comps for our first 2 show/seasons.
This worked well & we received more in punter donations than we would have if we had of had fixed price seating.
So the next one I have proposed it is done ?Admission by Donation? leaving up to the BOS?s to what they want to give!
Which leaves their donation options wide open?
When I was growing up in theatre I remember this being done at the odd venue! They donated everything from a can of peas & loaves of bread to an old pram. One wee kid, for a Panto, gave his tricycle  [They gave it back to him after the show, so he could ride home!] I remember when they put his name on a tag & tied it to the toy cycle, the name he gave was I?m ?Willy Connolly?! I was about 10 at the time & the theatre was in Glasgow Scotland so the time & place was correct.  So much so I have often wondered if this little 5 or 6 year old, did in fact grow up to be the famous ?Billy Connolly?? Although I don?t think so - as this young fella didn?t have a beard or sport a pony tail!
For our ?Admission by donation? season, because the venue is a large hall & storage is not a problem. If they are undated with a load of goods instead of cash, they take it all to the local Swap Meet & flog it off later.
There are a few who think this is stupid & weird! But I?m betting they will be pleasantly surprised with the amount they make!
Also I will have to check up that the ?Goods & Services Tax? of 10% won?t actually apply to donations.
Also we should have a notice stating ?No Livestock? on the admission details!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: Dustmac
Date Posted: 9/03/05 at 10:44pm
We charge $9.00 for adults and $6.00 for students. Our tickets have actually gone up in recent years. Some people think we should go even higher and be competitive with Memphis theater but we are a small town. I think nine dollars is about right. We also sell concessions at our shows.

Posted By: Unclepeter
Date Posted: 9/07/05 at 10:48pm

Since we are a dinner theatre, our prices are slightly different.  For dinner performances, we charge $20 adult and $15 student.  On non-dinner performances, our prices are $12 adult and 8 student.  For our membership, i.e., those who buy season tickets, the price for dinner shows is $15.00.  We feel this is a fair amount, and have had no complaints.  In fact, we have been told by patrons that we charge too little.  (We always tell them that we accept donations!)

Cast and crew do not receive comps, which has not caused any problems.  Normally, family members have no problem in paying to see their sons/husbands/wives/daughters on stage. 

-------------
"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." (Will Rogers)

Uncle Peter

Posted By: tblan
Date Posted: 9/08/05 at 10:17pm
My theater charges 15 for our musicals, and around 10 for dramas.  The community theater group I work with charges 8 for all of its musicals.  Neither gives comps to cast and crew.

Posted By: Russell W
Date Posted: 11/04/05 at 7:21am

Hi Wishbone,

Crazy question time:  How do you set your budgets?

What are your expected expenses?  Do you want to make a profit?  How many patrons will see your show?

So; expenses + profit / patrons = average ticket price.

Then there is the break-up of actual ticket pricing; full, concession (aged/student), family, groups, etc...  For first-timers this is really stabbing in the dark.  With more and more production history to call on, you can take a much more educated approach to juggling these figures.  I've used a spread sheet which I developed for an amateur theatre company (based on their last three shows) with a moderate degree of success.

But!  Be aware.  Some venues dictate the ticket price structure, so you've got to work backwards from that!

Not much help really, but I hope that it gets you thinking.

Cheers,
Russell E Williams

-------------
"Without music, the soul is silent.
Without education, the world is dark."
-- Melia Peavey, 1997
(Director, Peavey Electronics Corporation)

Posted By: Wishbone
Date Posted: 11/10/05 at 7:53pm

I don't set budgets. I act at a youth theater (I'm 13). I was wondering if our tickets are expensive.

Wishbone

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info