Print Page | Close Window

Who gets paid and how much?

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Archives
Forum Name: Closed Topics
Forum Discription: Uncategorized posts from the previous version of our discussion board. For browsing and searching.
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1386
Printed Date: 5/02/24 at 11:37am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Who gets paid and how much?
Posted By: Andrea T
Subject: Who gets paid and how much?
Date Posted: 5/06/05 at 9:01pm
I run a children's theater company and I was curious about how much other community theater groups pay their staff.  Right now we pay    1,000 for the director, 500 for the choreographer, 500 for the musical director, 300 for the set designer/constructor, 100 each for those who work in the box office, and 200 for the sound/light designer. To me some of these seems a bit low for a full scale musical that rehearses for 10 weeks. If you guys could let me know what is the norm, i would appreciate it! thanks

Replies:
Posted By: Scott B
Date Posted: 5/06/05 at 11:51pm

I think it really depends on the size of the community and the size of the theatre company.  I've seen theatres where it's basically all volunteer and others that pay out the big bucks. 

We're in a very small community and got off to a bad start paying in excess of $1000 for our very first director.  We did Music Man.  That won't happen again. 

In a larger city it might take that and more to get a director ... I don't know.  I'm just thinking that everything is going to be relative when it comes to costs.

Posted By: dougb
Date Posted: 5/07/05 at 11:14am
We do not pay anyone associated with our productions.  That being said, we do not do musicals.  I know that it is hard to get musicians to do a show without getting paid something for their efforts.  We also pay instructors for our training classes.  If I am working with mostly new actors, I often hire a professional instructor to work with the cast for a week and the instructor is paid.

I don't think it is fair to pay the Director if no one else is getting paid.  A nearby theater pays $1,000 (or more) to directors.  They also pay the musical director and sometimes the choreographer and the costume person.  Once you start to pay one person then it is hard to stop.  Is the lighting designer more valuable than the choreographer or the box office person or the producer?  I know one theater that has paid 40% of the gross income ($4,000 out of $11,000) out to pay the people involved with the production.  Hard to make money when you do that.  They also get into a bidding war:  If person X gets $1,000 then person Y is worth $1,500 or even $2,000 - and they get it!!!!

Just my thoughts.

Posted By: tristanrobin
Date Posted: 5/07/05 at 1:38pm
IMO

I don't think paying directors, who are working with volunteer
actors, is any different than paying a coach for a volunteer ball
team - or any other circumstance or organization that requires
an experienced, educated person to 'lead' the team.

If your theatre is able to attract competent, skilled directors with
vision and experience - congratulations! And more power to
you. But most directors I know are unwilling to work for no
money. Of course - that might be regional (I'm in the northeast) -
perhaps in other areas of the country, things are different?

Posted By: Linda S
Date Posted: 5/08/05 at 9:57am

I am in the Northeast too. The stipends you mentined are in line with what we pay. We are very rural and the stipend covers basic expenses. We found that quality directors, choreographers etc. can't work for us unless they can at least break even. Musicians in this area always paid.

L.

Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 5/09/05 at 4:22am

There were groups who paid varying amounts to Directors, Choreographers & Musical Directors per production, however these are in the minority these days, mainly because of stricter rules under the State Association Incorporation Act. Not that this would mean anything to you or your group.

Also with Insurance compensation coverage & taxation. There are a lot of problems that can & do occur, with them having to be a member for insurance & other prescribed taxes, rules, policy & conditions.

If there are fees paid, these are as a predetermined allowance/perdiums, depending upon out of pocket expenses.

I?m glad to say, while their are still those who exploit the amateurs, disguised as a not for profit most groups. There are still opportunities to be paid, for specific tutorial lectures & workshops, however they never seem to be for particular show.

We don?t have a shortage of Directors willing to do productions.

To give you an idea about West Australia, the State is 1/3 the area of Australia, there are about 300 registered community theatre groups in the state, of which 2 million people reside in the largest State in the World. There are only about 90 of these groups who are members of the state theatre Association.

I doubt if a any actually pay anyone for directing or what ever, in a production, other than an extraordinary expense.

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: JCCTony
Date Posted: 5/09/05 at 3:37pm
The theatre in my town only pays $500 for Director and $250 for SM and TD. That's it. Of course they use the community college's black box (drama/comedy) and traditional theatre (musicals) so they have an added cost of tacking $4 per ticket price in lieu of paying for a space.

Posted By: Dustmac
Date Posted: 5/25/05 at 5:56pm
We're a very small theater (capacity is 614) and we don't pay much. The Director gets between 300-350 dollars normally, and then we give the set designer around 100 dollars and the light and sound people fifty dollars. In other words, we don't spend more than five hundred for paid staff at a production. I am directing "Steel Magnolias" and I am going to be paid three hundred dollars for my time.

Posted By: jimfloyd
Date Posted: 7/25/05 at 8:43pm
You don't know what small is. Our capacity is 61.
We don't pay anything.

-------------

Date Posted: 7/26/05 at 10:27am
Small is 60 seats.  Anyone smaller?

Posted By: Unclepeter
Date Posted: 7/26/05 at 11:49pm

We recently doubled our size, about a year ago, going from 100 max to 200 max for dinner theater.  We are in a small southern town of about 10,000.  We were given an old retail building in the center of town which was in very poor condition.  Through untold nights of tearing out the stuff in the building, removing junk (10 each 10 ton dumpsters) and then going into debt for approximately $250,000, we now have a theatre that is the talk of the town.  It is made available (rental basis) for other functions, just to pay the bills.  My salary as vice president of the board/janitor/maintenance man/set builder/sound and light tech/and sometimes, actor doubled.  Two times zero is ZERO.  No one in our group is paid more than applause and thanks, and we have done a musical every year including Fiddler on the Roof, Oklahoma, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Blame it on the Movies, Pete 'n Keely. 

Love of the theatre overcomes all!

-------------
"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." (Will Rogers)

Uncle Peter

Posted By: pauliebonn
Date Posted: 7/29/05 at 12:38am
We have a seating capacity of 176, do 6 shows a year, and pay our directors, stage managers, lighting designer, set designer, and our musicians.  The only "staff" member that we have is PT, and she is paid an hourly wage.

Posted By: Wishbone
Date Posted: 8/26/05 at 12:38pm

I know what small is. At my youth theater (Little Lost Arts) we only have 50 seats. Check it out at www.littlelostarts.com - littlelostarts.com .

Wishbone

Posted By: Scott B
Date Posted: 9/02/05 at 12:29am
Oh my gosh ... small is 614??? Surely that's a misprint. 

We might as well be called Vagabond Theatre Company as we rely on churches and any other venue that will take us.

Doug asked if anyone had less than 60.  While I'm not a member of the group and never been in one of their productions, we do have a small group in town that seats approximately 45.

They're getting ready to do a three hour version of King Lear.  Since it only holds 45 it's danged impossible to sleep and not get noticed!!! 

Posted By: MartyW
Date Posted: 9/02/05 at 1:04pm

I belong to five different CT's. A few pay, most don't.  Of the ones that pay the most consitant one has a pay schedule as follows:

Director (straight play) $300  (Musical) $400

Producer (straight play) $300 (Musical) $400

Music Director $400

Rehearsal Pianist $250

Choreographer $200

Orchestra Member $175

As for whether they should or not, I don't care one way or the other.  I do what I do for the fun of it. (although you won't see me NOT take the check when its offered)

Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 9/03/05 at 1:46am
Originally posted by dougb

Small is 60 seats.  Anyone smaller?

Yes we have the 'Smallest Theatre in the world here at Seaforth in Gosnells West Australia. The Acorn theatre. [Guinness Book of Records] They have a full maximum capacity of about 21 seats. They lost the mantle as the smallest for a while, to a converted Pizza shop/Theatre, which seated 17 somewhere in Italy?
But it was closed down because the owner wanted it back to produce more dough I suppose - boom bom!

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: 75director
Date Posted: 9/03/05 at 1:46pm

Our theatre employs a staff of two, myself as full-time Artistic Director and a part-time Box Office Manager.

For musicals we hire a music director for $500 and a rehearsal/show accompanist for $300.

I direct all our productions (5 mainstage and a few smaller productions throughout the year), so that's part of my overall salary, which is around $30,000 a year.  I realize that we're an exception having a permanent staff, especially for our size of community -- 13,000.  Theatre capacity is 200 which is just right for our size of town and the number of performances we do.

Our box office manager is paid $7.50 an hour

Posted By: Podium
Date Posted: 9/21/05 at 8:52pm
I find it interesting that some mentioned paying the stage designer but no one mentioned paying the costumer/seamstress. (Notice the last part of seamstress is -STRESS :) Our last show I put in 4 hours a night for 6 weeks at my sewing machine. But no one ever seems to think we should be in the paid category- hmmm.

Date Posted: 9/23/05 at 11:34am
Podium:  You are exactly right - that is why we do not pay anyone.  Lots of people put in tons of time to make a production successful.  As soon as anyone gets paid (with the possible exception of musicians) you start establishing the relative value of those involved.  Yes, the director is important and works hard but what would the production look like without sets or props or costumes or lights and sound?  

Posted By: Nyria
Date Posted: 10/12/05 at 5:41pm

I am on the board (and sometimes work for) a non-profit children's theatre.

The actors pay to be in the shows.  It is a workshop style and they are young/new actors learning the trade.

We pay our directors $3000 - $5000 depending on the size of the show.  But it should be noted that we only hire 'professional' directors - those with vast experience and usually an education in theatre (degree or diploma from theatre school or equivalant)

We also pay our choreographer and music directors (About $1000 each or more depending on how much they are expected to do) Oh and our SM too

We also have a full time producer at $500 a month.

Everything else is done by students from the local schools and parents.

HTH --

-------------
NYRIA

Posted By: tristanrobin
Date Posted: 10/12/05 at 6:49pm
podium - I agree - if set designers are paid, costumers should
be as well.

However, I think that MANY community theatres no longer build
their own costumes. There are so many costume houses out
there that will simply ship you a complete set of costumes for
your production of Oliver or Mame or Oklahoma or whatever,
that it's not even financially sound to pay to build them all. I
know one production of Mame that I directed had HUNDREDS
of costumes from Brooks Van Horne (I think the name is
different now) - and the total bill was between 7-8,000. Now
these were fairly elaborate costumes - many exact copies of the
original Broadway costumes - heavily beaded, trimmed, etc.
There is no way i could have had all those costumes built for
that kind of money - not to mention finding the people to
actually DO that many costumes.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info