Print Page | Close Window

Upset parent

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Producing Theater
Forum Name: Directing
Forum Discription: For questions about handling shows, actors, crew, board members, children ...or do we repeat ourselves?
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1122
Printed Date: 5/04/24 at 8:10pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Upset parent
Posted By: Linda
Subject: Upset parent
Date Posted: 9/21/04 at 8:32am

I just had my head taken off by a parent whose child I did not cast in the upcoming musical. Mom is on the board of directors and did this in front of my scene designer and lighting designer. Both have never worked in this theater before. I stood there open mouthed with disbelief. I am of half a mind to walk, leaving the directing of this monster of a musical to her. I used my standard, "I am sorry I can't use Suzie Q in this show. Please audition again for me in the future." She wanted me to justify every casting decision I made, and why her child was not cast in that part. Mind you this is a cast of forty with only ten children in very minor parts, and I had 30 children audition for those ten parts. The only thing I could think to say was, "I am sorry you are upset."

My question is, "Has anyone else had this happen, and did you find a graceful way of handling it?" Halfway through her tirade I almost told her the truth. "Your child can't sing, and gives the impression that she wants to be anywhere but on stage." I only work for this theater on occassion because the politics are so difficult, and after this little fiasco never again. I know that she is going to be around the theater when I am there, and I do not want another confrontation. Any advice you can give me on how to handle this would be much appreciated.

Linda

Replies:
Posted By: countbio
Date Posted: 9/21/04 at 1:12pm

Wow...how terrible. I am sorry that happened to you.

I directed High School for many years...and encountered "stage parents" (usually moms) a few times. I think you handled it well.

From my experience..

Don't argue...stick to "It is unfortunate I couldn't use Susie Q this time"

Don't justify your casting decisions, ever! (see above line and stick to it)

Report her bahavior to any one you can (artistic director, chair of board etc.) Use strong words like intimidation, harassment, etc. (if this is indeed how you feel). Ask for support/backing and for someone to let her know that the theater has confidence in your abilities and decisions.. If you do not get these things...this is a whole other problem! (a really serious one!)

But don't gossip about the mom with your cast/crew. It will get back to her and be used against you!

Do not engage this nut in any further conversation/ argument /discussion etc. Use above line if cornered and walk away.

If the problem persists...you may need to repert her behavior to higher authorities. And you may consider leaving. 

Good Luck,

Countbio

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:17pm

I don't know how you could have handled it other than the way you did. There's always going to be upset parents involved when you work with children. The fact that yours is on the Board just makes things more difficult.

How to handle this in the future depends a great deal on how the rest of the Board is, I think. Do you find them equally difficult to deal with? Are they aware of how the mother behaves? If you think they can be reasonable, go to them and ask them to address this. If you can't see that helping at all, then you may, in fact, have to be blunt (and diplomatic) and tell her that her daughter wasn't cast because there were (at least) ten actors who were better suited.

I feel what you're going through; having worked with teenagers in theater for many years, I have had my share of angry mothers.

Date Posted: 9/22/04 at 1:11am

Linda I'm sorry it has hapened to you!

If you can get a copy of this song by Noel Coward & play it to the mother &/or the Board - it could help you!

Old Noel had this problem as well & answered it thusly;-

From Noel Coward On The Air[BBC] - 1947

(He speaks:

"Some years ago when I was returning from the Far East on a very large ship, I was pursued around the  decks every day by a very large lady. She showed me some photographs of her daughter ?

a repellant-looking girl and seemed convinced that she was destined for a great stage career. Finally,

in sheer self-preservation, I locked myself in my cabin and wrote this song".)

Don?t put your daughter on the stage, Mrs. Worthington

Don?t put your daughter on the stage

The profession is overcrowded

The struggle?s pretty tough

And admitting the fact she?s burning to act

That isn?t quite enough.

She?s a nice girl and though her teeth are fairly good

She?s not the type I ever would be eager to engage

I repeat, Mrs. Worthington, sweet Mrs. Worthington

Don?t put your daughter on the stage.

Regarding yours, dear Mrs. Worthington

Of Wednesday, the 23rd.

Although your baby may be keen on a stage career

How can I make it clear that this is not a good idea

For her to hope and appear, Mrs. Worthington

Is on the face of it absurd

Her personality is not in reality quite big enough, inviting enough

For this particular sphere

She?s a bit of an ugly duckling, you must honestly confess

And the width of her seat would surely defeat

Her chances of her success

It?s - it?s a loud voice, and though it?s not exactly flat

She?ll need a little more than that to earn a living wage

On my knees, Mrs. Worthington, please Mrs. Worthington

Don?t put your daughter on the stage

Though they said at the school of acting

She was lovely as Peer Gynt

I?m afraid, on the whole, an ingenue role might emphasize her squint

She has nice hands, to give the wretched girl her due

But don?t you think her bust is too developed for her age

No more buts, Mrs. Worthington, nuts! Mrs. Worthington

Don?t put your daughter on the stage!

Toi Toi Toi Chookas Linda

Joe

Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 9/22/04 at 1:17am

What a Yoyo! I'll log in before I post next time!

[This post is to add to my total only]

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: dougb
Date Posted: 9/22/04 at 11:25am

I can't add anything new to all the good advice above except to re-iterate:

Never justify your casting decisions - to anyone. 

Never bitch or complain to your cast and crew about anything (you are allowed to bitch and complain to your stage manager - part of their job is to let you vent then tell you you made the right decision.  I'm told it says that somewhere down in the fine print.)

Posted By: Andrea T
Date Posted: 9/30/04 at 9:46pm
Linda,  you said the right thing! I was faced with the same problem in the last childrens show I directed....I was amazed at how a mother could behave regarding her child in a show! I too was chewed out infront of many people, including other parents. It came down to me saying, Im very sorry, but this is not life or death- its just a production that there will be many more of. Of course that didnt stop her hanging around and harrassing me, but, she eventually apoligized and realized her behavior...so, basically, tough it out! you did the right thing. 

Date Posted: 10/04/04 at 11:46am

Thank you everyone for all of the support. I actually just heard from the mother again last night. She apologized. Her daughter is happily doing something else. The daughter isn't the least bit upset at not being cast, so mom got over it.

Linda

Posted By: Gaafa
Date Posted: 10/05/04 at 2:01am

G?donya Linda & also to the ?Tin lids? mum for the apology to you!

Maybe you can get the mum, to audition for you next time?

Chookas Linda

-------------
      Joe
Western Gondawandaland
turn right @ Perth.
Hear the light & see the sound.
Toi Toi Toi Chookas {{"chook [chicken] it is"}
May you always play
to a full house}

Posted By: NickH.
Date Posted: 10/10/04 at 7:13pm
I've had a 75-year old actor call me to tell me how disappointed and angry he was for not having been cast in one of my productions, and warned me that he may never audition for me again. So, now I'm warned.

-------------
If all the world is a stage, what am I doing in the wings?

Posted By: moxiegal1977
Date Posted: 12/02/04 at 4:04pm
I've had the same thing happen to me, although in my case, the kid (who's mother is a monster) didn't even make it to auditions!  No joke.  I felt kind of bad, because the kid had a migrane on audition night, so I offered for her to understudy the lead and/or do tech for me.  The kid was super excited just to be involved, but the MOM, nope, uh-uh.  It was all "My daughter has ALWAYS been part of these shows...how come you didn't hold a LEAD" for her?  Dude.

I actually enced up casting the kid the next year in the next show.  She was remarkably nice, talented and worked really hard.  She must take after her father.

You did the rigt thing, for sure!

Posted By: Nyria
Date Posted: 1/21/05 at 2:21pm

I just wanted to add - for next time,

After your discussion with mom offer to have her help in another area of the show (tech. or something).  Tell her that you would like to see how she works and if you think she has the drive and proffesionalism perhaps she will be cast next time.  I often do this and if the kid or mom says no then I realize that perhaps they don't have the heart to be involved anyway.  And I will tell them that - that if they truly have the love for theatre they will start out small and work their way up - if not I don't want to work with them anyway.

-------------
NYRIA

Posted By: closetdiva
Date Posted: 2/24/05 at 1:04pm

I agree...never justify your casting decisions. Just let them come to the show and see the results for themselves. If they are worth their salt, they'll understand, without you having to say a word.

And speaking as someone who's auditioned and not been cast, I agree with Nyria. Let them start out in something small or with crew. The group I've been working with, the first time I auditioned for them was for "Titanic" - and I didn't get in. But I did get to work on the costumes, which was a wonderful way to get to know them better and them me. When they did "I Remember Mama" (the musical), I auditioned again and was cast.

-------------
Duct tape can fix anything - except a dropped line! ;-)

Date Posted: 10/13/05 at 2:05am

My condolences.  Have you ever thought about putting on the audition form?  I imagine minor's must have parental permission to even try out.  I have a standard line in REALLY BIG LETTERS--The director is the final authority in all casting decisions.  The director will be more than happy to discuss your particular audition, but you will not be allowed to re-audition, and the casting will not be changed.

This has prevented a lot of the "Why didn't my child get the role of ___________?  She's much better than __________."

-------------

Posted By: tristanrobin
Date Posted: 10/13/05 at 9:33am
I met up with my share of the stage mothers when I taught in
public school and directed high school shows.

I even had a mother who, after letting me know that my cast
decisions were completely off-base, wanted to know if she or I
should call the female lead and let her know that she was no
longer the lead! Seriously!

It's interesting - from my own experience - and the stories being
related here by others - it sounds as if this is a uniquely female
child's mother problem. I don't think I've ever had a mother
come up and rail because her son wasn't cast as the role in
which she she deemed him worthy. It's always some poor little
girl - who is usually a perfectly nice child - with the obnoxious,
pushy mom. Why is that? LOL

p.s. - for what it's worth - I agree - NEVER explain or attempt to
validate your casting to others!

Posted By: krueger
Date Posted: 11/07/06 at 3:57pm

I've been reading these posts and had to add my 2 cents;  I have been directing children and casting them for several years and at first my husband and i have had many problems such as this.  then we switched our audition system.  They are closed.  a child can come in and do a song they know and recite a nursery rhyme or whatever and their parents can be in attendance and that's it.  When it comes time for Callbacks we even tell parents these are closed to parents and we tell them why . . that we feel a child will ultimately give us more if their parents are not watching and do tell them that parents have been an issue in the past.  We make no bones about it.  Nothing is worse than making a casting call and having a parent tell you that their child did better than so and so . . .the children handle it better than the parents sometimes!!  Since we've had closed auditions the instances of these calls have decreased significantly!  so much so that another director decided that open auditions 2 years ago would be fine . . . wouldn't you just know it...those venomous parents popped up again! 

As well, though, when we make our calls and we're calling kids who didn't get cast we always try to do 2 things:  start with the postives, so when we go through the casting we write on every audition form something positive about that person and then we write down one of the major things that contributed to their not getting cast:  lack of projection, enunciation, stage presence, singing was not strong, etc.  The parents generally take this well are glad that we have something for their child to work on.  Sometimes it is not so easy and it's merely a toss up as to who we cast: don't know the children; talent is equal; look for the part is equal and we just go with our gut and we try to be truthful with these children and tell them that there were a lot of kids who tried out and this is the way it fell.  Most kids and parents receive that one ok, as well.  we try not to sugar coat anything nor do we try to be too harsh.  and we always encourage them to come back. 

Parents like this make me not want to work with their children...unfortunate as that is.

Posted By: eveharrington
Date Posted: 11/08/06 at 1:05pm
Congratulations on your grace, I would have been righting that post from lock-up.   

You sound like you handled it well, and hopefully now that she's apologized maybe it's over, but if it's not then you should make sure of your authority w/ the board and then simply ask her to leave rehearsals. You should not leave under any circumstances, it will only give her what she wants (another director she can more easily intimidate) and leave the rest of your cast at her mercy.

-------------
"If nothing else, there's applause... like waves of love pouring over the footlights."

Posted By: eveharrington
Date Posted: 11/08/06 at 1:06pm
Just remember if she knew anything about directing or casting she'd be doing it!

-------------
"If nothing else, there's applause... like waves of love pouring over the footlights."

Posted By: ozarks
Date Posted: 11/10/06 at 11:34am

I've enjoyed reading this post and its replies. It seems none of the replies was from a parent so I thought I'd chime in.

Something to consider...

Parents like what you describe scare me. They scare me because of what I fear they may be doing to their children. As a mom who likes to think she has a very good relationship with directors and stage managers it also kills me when I witness this type of behavior.

But I've learned, actually very recently that it's a very small world and eventually everyone learns who these parents are. Oh by the way, boys moms are like this too. There's one mom who always makes a point of telling me that the director told her that "if only her daughter could  have come to the CB, she would have gotten the role of whatever". I thought I was the only one who found her insufferable. I don't usually "hang" with other stagemoms so I didn't realize the repuation she has. I've recently learned just how much you directors talk to each other and just how much stagemoms (except apparently for me) share info. This particular mom and her little angel are banned from a couple theaters in my city. I thought it was just me who couldn't stand her!

Just please remember that not all parents are like this. Sometimes I'm afraid to even ask a simple, legitemate (sp?) question if I don't know the director for fear s/he will think I'm one of "those" stage moms. Closed auditions, open auditions, do what you want, you're the boss. Just be honest, tell us the real deal, your expectations, when you'll make a decision. Just do what you say you're going to do.... and all the other great advice on this forum. If you don't cast the kids with difficult parents, you'll be doing yourself a favor as well as doing a favor for the other parents who try to behave 'cuz they bug US too!

Posted By: castMe
Date Posted: 11/10/06 at 11:42am
Originally posted by ozarks

Closed auditions, open auditions, do what you want, you're the boss. Just be honest, tell us the real deal, your expectations, when you'll make a decision. Just do what you say you're going to do.... and all the other great advice on this forum.

An excellent point.  It's important to let all of your auditioners know what you are looking for, what you will expect of them if cast, and what they should expect from you.  Be clear, be thorough, and be true to your word.  There are probably as many inept directors as intolerable stage-parents. 

-------------
Investigate. Imagine. Choose.

Posted By: BeyondKen
Date Posted: 11/04/07 at 10:38am
Originally posted by ozarks

Sometimes I'm afraid to even ask a simple, legitemate (sp?) question if I don't know the director for fear s/he will think I'm one of "those" stage moms.
Don't be afraid!  I think most directors, like me, really like stage moms (& dads).  They are some of the nicest people you'll ever work with.

-------------
~(τΏτ)~

Posted By: JohnnyOneNote
Date Posted: 2/09/08 at 2:53am
Old post I know but, it is a good thread and needs to be revisited.

I have a form that all parents fill out before the child is allowed to audition.
They get a copy of this form. This is for ANY person who is under the age of 18 or still in High School (some 18 year olds are still in High School)

Anyway,  Here is our form for our production of Sweeney Todd coming up in March

MINOR PERMISSION FORM

I hereby agree as the Parent or Legal Guardian of

Minors Name: ______________________________________________________

That I understand that

The rehearsals for Sweeney Todd will be an intense process and agree that the minor listed above can and will be at all rehearsals when required.

Rehearsals may go past 10 pm on weeknights.

Time off may not be granted for school events, not to be limited to Prom, Graduation, Sporting or other events.

Sweeney Todd has adult language and content.

A staff member will remain with any minor child after rehearsal until they are picked up.

Any parent who harasses, argues, or in any way interferes with the director, or any staff of this production may be banned from the theater and their child may be removed from the cast.

My signature below gives approval for minor to be involved in this production.

Signature: _______________________________________________________

It has worked well for us! Only once have we ever had to actually ban a parent.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info